PDA

View Full Version : Del Rio's FA Wishlist Fulfilled

Denver Native (Carol)
05-27-2014, 04:03 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Prior to free agency, Defensive Coordinator Jack Del Rio had his own wishlist that he thought was just that: wishful thinking.

"I said, you know, if I could make it happen it would be a dominant rush end, a strong safety that will come up and really strike fear in an offense and really be a tone-setter, and a premium corner," Del Rio said during "A Night With the Coaches" at Sports Authority Field at Mile High on May 13. "There's no way we'll get that done, but I'd love to see that happen. Any way you can make that happen, Mr. Elway?"

It took Executive Vice President of Football Operations/General Manager John Elway a tad over 24 hours after the signing period opened to check off each box, picking up safety T.J. Ward, cornerback Aqib Talib and defensive end DeMarcus Ware.

Now that he's had a chance to work with each of his defense's new toys, Del Rio revisited the Broncos' acquisitions after rookie minicamp practice on May 17.

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Del-Rios-FA-Wishlist-Fulfilled/e27d417c-d88b-4e15-8e5c-2699ebf35196

Slick
05-27-2014, 07:51 PM
I'm really glad Jack stayed on. Nice to have some continuity on defense for a change.

Thanks Carol.

Shazam!
05-27-2014, 10:06 PM
Was his wish list losing Woody, Phillips, Cromartie, Ayers, Champ...

Dzone
05-27-2014, 10:24 PM
Great interview. Del Rio actually says something in the pressers worth listening to. Some coaches drone on and on, stone faced, and say absolutely nothing. Im glad we have JDR

TXBRONC
05-28-2014, 12:05 AM

Lets see Elway replaced Ayers and Phillips with Ware, Cromartie with Talib and we still have Harris and we drafted Roby one of the better corners in the draft. Is there some reason he should be worried because I can't think of one? Players leave all the time in this League. Champ in his prime would have been a devastating blow to lose him but at this point he's replaceable. Ayers, Phillips, and Woodyard are replaceable at any stage of their careers. Cromartie is very good but getting Talib makes it a wash.

NightTerror218
05-28-2014, 01:17 PM

Yes

tripp
05-28-2014, 01:27 PM
I know we all hold Champ Bailey in high regard, and deservedly so, but come on guys, did he really have a big impact on the games he played last year? And would you rather him as a 35 year old corner play over the top 10 corners in the game today? I wish Champ would've just retired this off-season. I know he's a baller and feels like there's some left in tank, and I hope to a certain degree he proves us wrong in letting him go, but for the direction of the Denver Broncos, I'm glad we've gotten younger in the CB depth department.

Losing Woody kinda sucks since he has been a leader on this team since DJ Williams started getting into off-field issues, but he was benched for a reason. Trevathan stepped up was hungrier.

And good luck to the New York Broncos with Holliday, Walton, and Ayers.. I don't have anything bad to say about any of them, I just wished Holliday wasn't as big of a reliability as he was when returning kick offs and punts.

Simple Jaded
05-29-2014, 12:24 AM
I think the Broncos have a legitimate chance to have improved on every player they lost in FA, save for Holiday's big play ability in the return game. With all the addition of Sanders and Latimore I'm beginning to think Caldwell was resigned mainly for ST's, he actually had a nice KO TD return called back on a clip penalty. The other position that's questionable is Decker's, obviously, and DRC. Decker I s gonna be hard to replace but Sanders may be in for a career season, however, I just never thought Talib was as good as DRC has been for the most part.

Woodyard was actually replaced last season, Bailey too, and I actually consider Von Miller to be Phillips replacement, so (health and will power willing) that has a legitimate chance to be improved as well. Moreno vs Ball and Ayers vs Ware aren't a certainty but there's definitely a legitimate chance of improvement.

Edit, I forgot about Zane Beadles, whatever.

Hawgdriver
05-29-2014, 04:39 AM

He told me yes, it was his wish. This was in a dream though, so we might need to get Agap in to interpret.

Hawgdriver
05-29-2014, 04:41 AM
Yes

I couldn't say "yes" fast enough to this either, but it is a bit sad to lose some of the depth like Ayers and the cheap yet excellent help like Phillips.

Timmy!
05-29-2014, 05:47 AM
Its very simple. If you don't think the defense has improved, by a substantial amount really, over what was on the field during the Superbowl, you might be crazy.

Cugel
05-29-2014, 02:34 PM
The other position that's questionable is Decker's, obviously, and DRC. Decker I s gonna be hard to replace but Sanders may be in for a career season, however, I just never thought Talib was as good as DRC has been for the most part.

Wow. Just wow. I remember when Talib went down in the AFC Title Game. The air seemed to go out of the Patriots balloon and I knew at that point that, having lost their best defender, the Patriots were not going to be able to stop Peyton Manning, and they didn't. Bill Belichick said exactly the same thing. He was mad at Decker for, in his view, deliberately injuring Talib and he emphasized what a blow that was to the Patriots team.

Talib has been a impact player for years. DRC is a nice cover guy, but not an overall impact player.

There's a reason why Talib got so much more money than DRC. Here's why:

Broncos signed CB Aqib Talib to a six-year, $57 million contract with $26 million guaranteed.
Denver attacked its secondary on the first day of free agency, landing Talib and top strong safety T.J. Ward. Talib, 28, has gotten his act together off the field in recent seasons and when healthy is a top-five press-man corner in the game. Look for DC Jack Del Rio to utilize him in shadow coverage of opposing No. 1 receivers. The Broncos have drafted well under GM John Elway, have a lot of salary cap space to show for it with so many players on cheap rookie deals, and Peyton Manning has 1-2 years left. We can't blame them for going all in. Mar 11 - 11:18 PM

Giants agreed to terms with CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie on a five-year, $39 million contract.
We suspect the G-Men built protective language into the deal after DRC openly contemplated retirement during Super Bowl week. Giants GM Jerry Reese made his secondary a huge free-agency priority, re-signing Trumaine McBride and Stevie Brown, while adding Rodgers-Cromartie, Walter Thurmond III, and Quintin Demps. Still only 28 (in April), Rodgers-Cromartie was a borderline shutdown corner in Denver last season, intercepting three passes and allowing just one touchdown over the Broncos' final 14 games. He'll bookend Prince Amukamara as the Giants' starting corners.

The difference is that Talib is just as good in coverage downfield as DRC, is actually better in tight press coverage, and he's a surer tackler and better in run support. When DRC rejected Denver's first offer, they decided that if they were going to have to spend the money, they might as well spend more and get a really top 5 NFL CB and so within hours they withdrew their offer to DRC and within 4 hours Talib reportedly went from virtually no contact with the Broncos and not even considering them as a possible new team, to signing a $57 million contract.

That shows some confidence. And the Broncos were not the only team that was prepared to pay Talib big money either:

The Washington Post confirms the Redskins have "expressed interest" in free agent CB Aqib Talib. (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4640/aqib-talib)
There are many connections for Talib in D.C.; DBs coach Raheem Morris was his head coach in Tampa Bay, and GM Bruce Allen drafted Talib when Allen was the Buccaneers' GM in 2008. Per the Post, Talib is "believed to be seeking a contract that would pay him $9 million to $10 million a season." A league insider told the paper the Redskins want to "make a statement at DB" this offseason. Mar 9 - 6:52 PM

A source tells the Boston Herald that free agent Aqib Talib wants to be paid as a top-of-the-market corner.
As he should. Talib is entering his age-28 season and was the Patriots' most valuable defender last year, consistently dominating opposing No. 1 wideouts as a shadow corner. Brent Grimes is going on 31 and just got a four-year, $32 million deal from the Dolphins that included $16 million guaranteed. Although Talib has some off-field issues and a nagging hip concern, he's not going to hurt for leverage once he hits the open market. He was our No. 2 corner coming into free agency, behind only Grimes.
Source: Boston Herald
Mar 5 - 8:54 AM

I should also add that it's a total zero-sum win for the Broncos, weakening their chief rival, the Patriots by taking their best defensive player, while strengthening the Broncos.

Simple Jaded
05-29-2014, 11:36 PM
It was Welker that ran into Talib, you ******* know-it-all.

Btw, the Broncos weakened the Patriots so much that it's easy to forget that they went out and signed the single best at the position for 4-5 years running. No doubt you'll respond by tellin us all how A + B = Revis sucks.

Cugel
05-30-2014, 11:58 AM

Btw, the Broncos weakened the Patriots so much that it's easy to forget that they went out and signed the single best at the position for 4-5 years running. No doubt you'll respond by tellin us all how A + B = Revis sucks.

I got a huge laugh out of your pointless hostility! :laugh:

No, Revis doesn't "suck." It did weaken the Patriots though, since Revis has signed a 1 year $12 million contract and will be a FA next off-season. If he does well, he's going to demand the same $16 million for 2015 that the Jets denied him this year. Of course the Patriots DO have an option to keep him, but it would cost them an absolute mint:

Darrelle Revis' "one-year," $12 million contract with the Patriots includes a club option for a second year.
USA Today's Tom Pelissero reports the Patriots would have to pay Revis a $12 million roster bonus on April 1 of 2015, before a $7.5 million base salary plus $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses in order to keep him for a second season. Rather than exercise the option, New England would likely negotiate a long-term deal with Revis if he meets their standards of on- and off-field performance in 2014. But it's clear this could be more than a one-year marriage.

OUCH! The crazy thing about this is that he's likely to get his $16 million+ next year, whether the Pats re-sign him or not. Thanks, but no thanks! I don't think any CB or really any NFL player other than a QB is worth that kind of money. It just sucks up too much of the salary cap. The Seahawks are paying Richard Sherman $1.389M this year, which is why Seattle is able to afford so many great defenders. Next season, they have to start giving him his $40 million guaranteed contract money and annual $14.5 million salary. Watch their defense decline as they have to let players go to afford that huge contract!

Oh, and the existence of the option clause means that they can't franchise Revis, they have to pay him according to the option or else re-negotiate with him.

Oh, and keep swearing at me! It makes my day! :beer:

TXBRONC
05-30-2014, 03:18 PM
Wow. Just wow. I remember when Talib went down in the AFC Title Game. The air seemed to go out of the Patriots balloon and I knew at that point that, having lost their best defender, the Patriots were not going to be able to stop Peyton Manning, and they didn't. Bill Belichick said exactly the same thing. He was mad at Decker for, in his view, deliberately injuring Talib and he emphasized what a blow that was to the Patriots team.

Talib has been a impact player for years. DRC is a nice cover guy, but not an overall impact player.

There's a reason why Talib got so much more money than DRC. Here's why:

The difference is that Talib is just as good in coverage downfield as DRC, is actually better in tight press coverage, and he's a surer tackler and better in run support. When DRC rejected Denver's first offer, they decided that if they were going to have to spend the money, they might as well spend more and get a really top 5 NFL CB and so within hours they withdrew their offer to DRC and within 4 hours Talib reportedly went from virtually no contact with the Broncos and not even considering them as a possible new team, to signing a $57 million contract.

That shows some confidence. And the Broncos were not the only team that was prepared to pay Talib big money either:

I should also add that it's a total zero-sum win for the Broncos, weakening their chief rival, the Patriots by taking their best defensive player, while strengthening the Broncos.

If Talib had been able to stay in the game it would helped but the outcome would have still been the same.

TXBRONC
05-30-2014, 03:22 PM

No, Revis doesn't "suck." It did weaken the Patriots though, since Revis has signed a 1 year $12 million contract and will be a FA next off-season. If he does well, he's going to demand the same $16 million for 2015 that the Jets denied him this year. Of course the Patriots DO have an option to keep him, but it would cost them an absolute mint:

OUCH! The crazy thing about this is that he's likely to get his $16 million+ next year, whether the Pats re-sign him or not. Thanks, but no thanks! I don't think any CB or really any NFL player other than a QB is worth that kind of money. It just sucks up too much of the salary cap. The Seahawks are paying Richard Sherman $1.389M this year, which is why Seattle is able to afford so many great defenders. Next season, they have to start giving him his $40 million guaranteed contract money and annual $14.5 million salary. Watch their defense decline as they have to let players go to afford that huge contract!

Oh, and the existence of the option clause means that they can't franchise Revis, they have to pay him according to the option or else re-negotiate with him.

Revis will be asking for asking for a pay raise by end of September.

Seriously, I would not be surprised in the least if by the midway point in the season if Revis isn't bitching that he's underpaid.

Simple Jaded
06-01-2014, 12:59 AM

So NE is worse off because Revis makes more than Talib does? That's Cugel spin, you should be a politician. :beer:

pnbronco
06-01-2014, 11:41 AM
rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Del-Rios-FA-Wishlist-Fulfilled/e27d417c-d88b-4e15-8e5c-2699ebf35196

Carol thank you so much for finding all these great stories. It makes coming here every day and must to see what gem you have found today.....:salute:

Shazam!
06-01-2014, 11:48 AM
Cugel is the new Joel.

Simple Jaded
06-01-2014, 02:24 PM
Carol thank you so much for finding all these great stories. It makes coming here every day and must to see what gem you have found today.....:salute:

Carol is the main reason to come here first, everything you're looking for under one roof.

silkamilkamonico
06-01-2014, 02:33 PM

Darrelle Revis' "one-year," $12 million contract with the Patriots includes a club option for a second year.
USA Today's Tom Pelissero reports the Patriots would have to pay Revis a $12 million roster bonus on April 1 of 2015, before a $7.5 million base salary plus $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses in order to keep him for a second season. Rather than exercise the option, New England would likely negotiate a long-term deal with Revis if he meets their standards of on- and off-field performance in 2014. But it's clear this could be more than a one-year marriage.

Let's just hope talib can actually stay healthy throughout the playoffs for once. At least drc was on the field.

TXBRONC
06-01-2014, 09:05 PM
Cugel is the new Joel.

That's uncalled for. I don't always agree with Cugel but he is no Joel or Bosco for that matter.

Canmore
06-01-2014, 09:11 PM
I'm probably the only one out here who gets a kick out of Joel's dissertations. Don't agree with most of it, but if you do take the time to wade through his run of the pen disease, at least it forces me to think.

Hawgdriver
06-01-2014, 09:30 PM
I'm probably the only one out here who gets a kick out of Joel's dissertations. Don't agree with most of it, but if you do take the time to wade through his run of the pen disease, at least it forces me to think.

I don't always drink beer, but when I do, it's JoelEquis.

Simple Jaded
06-02-2014, 12:10 AM

I used to agree here but after a while you realize his inflexible logic just usually boils down to "I may not always be right but I'm never wrong", and in the end for me anyway, it's the impetus of his pity parties that what makes it almost impossible to take seriously. What used to be one of the most nauseatingly positive posters on board is now giving the most annoyingly jaded a run for his money.

Hawgdriver
06-02-2014, 02:33 AM
I used to agree here but after a while you realize his inflexible logic just usually boils down to "I may not always be right but I'm never wrong", and in the end for me anyway, it's the impetus of his pity parties that what makes it almost impossible to take seriously. What used to be one of the most nauseatingly positive posters on board is now giving the most annoyingly jaded a run for his money.

You're just jaded.