PDA

View Full Version : Top five receiving corps (NFL.com)

VonDoom
05-26-2014, 06:38 PM
I "like" the NFL on Facebook, and I get a bunch of links daily on my feed. Most are probably click bait, like, "This player is poised to have a breakout year" or whatever, but I just saw this one and I had to laugh. Bucky Brooks writes about the top five receiving corps in the NFL, and the Broncos are number three. Yes, three. Behind the Redskins and Bears. I mean, come on, man.

Just thought it would be fun to see what people thought, especially in this slow news portion of the offseason:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000353311/article/nfls-top-receiving-corps-redskins-bears-lead-the-way?campaign=Facebook_writers_brooks

Softskull
05-26-2014, 06:48 PM
If this is one of those Cutler/Marshall threads, just stop now. Nothing but hate flows from these. ;)

MOtorboat
05-26-2014, 06:51 PM
Am I missing someone on the Redskins' receiving corp? Did they sign someone big?

I can see Denver third, but no way would it be behind Washington.

Atlanta, New Orleans, I can sort of see Chicago...but Washington?

VonDoom
05-26-2014, 08:16 PM
Am I missing someone on the Redskins' receiving corp? Did they sign someone big?

DeSean Jackson? I assume that's part of it. And I would probably put Jackson/Garcon and Marshall/Jeffrey over our top two. But "receiving corps" implies depth, and I don't see anyone with the talent we have, top to bottom. We had the most prolific passing offense in history last year (and yes, I am aware of who our QB is) and while I don't know if Sanders will replace Decker one for one, I don't see much, if any drop off. Were we not the best receiving corps last year? And we have no real idea of how Latimer will be until he's on the field, but he's essentially our fifth best receiving option at this point. Does anyone else have that level of depth?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-26-2014, 08:19 PM

I can see Denver third, but no way would it be behind Washington.

Atlanta, New Orleans, I can sort of see Chicago...but Washington?

They signed DeSean Jackson.

Canmore
05-26-2014, 09:00 PM
They signed DeSean Jackson.

He's a midget, a fast midget, but a midget.

TXBRONC
05-26-2014, 10:57 PM
DeSean Jackson? I assume that's part of it. And I would probably put Jackson/Garcon and Marshall/Jeffrey over our top two. But "receiving corps" implies depth, and I don't see anyone with the talent we have, top to bottom. We had the most prolific passing offense in history last year (and yes, I am aware of who our QB is) and while I don't know if Sanders will replace Decker one for one, I don't see much, if any drop off. Were we not the best receiving corps last year? And we have no real idea of how Latimer will be until he's on the field, but he's essentially our fifth best receiving option at this point. Does anyone else have that level of depth?

Jackson is one the best vertical threats in the game but sucks ass when it comes to being a red zone target and Garcon just had his first 1,000 yards receiving and that took seven freaking seasons to do that. Add to that he's never had more six receiving touchdowns in a season. I can see an argument for Marshall and Jeffery being a better tandem but I don't think the Bears receiving corps is better. Their number three receiver had all of two catches last season. Our third receiver is considered on of the best slot receivers in the game.

broncohead
05-27-2014, 01:44 AM
As a unit we should be ranked number 1. And not cause i'm a Bronco fan either. DT, JT, and Welker dominated last season and Sanders will have a role as well. We have the best overall depth.

Canmore
05-27-2014, 01:50 AM
As a unit we should be ranked number 1. And not cause i'm a Bronco fan either. DT, JT, and Welker dominated last season and Sanders will have a role as well. We have the best overall depth.

Pretty much what I think.

CrazyHorse
05-27-2014, 03:37 AM
I personally would say,

1. Broncos
2. Bears
3. 49ers
4. Packers
5. Falcons

TXBRONC
05-27-2014, 07:27 AM

Sanders will be the number two receiver it's just that they won't be able to do exactly the same things with him that they did with Decker.

Hawgdriver
05-27-2014, 12:18 PM
It might be easy to call the Broncos' receivers "system players,"

Whatever dude.

Valar Morghulis
05-27-2014, 01:03 PM
I personally would say,

1. Broncos
2. Bears
3. 49ers
4. Packers
5. Falcons

I agree 100%.

Just imagine the lions had been bolder and acquired decker or even johnson from the bills - they would have a potent attack.

I think the Broncos offence will be just as effective this year - perhaps without all the records, but overall it will be a good year. If our defence can make the top 5 in most statistical areas this year - that will be more telling.

broncohead
05-27-2014, 01:20 PM
Sanders will be the number two receiver it's just that they won't be able to do exactly the same things with him that they did with Decker.

He will but I guess I was thinking along the lines of who will be targeted more.

CoachChaz
05-27-2014, 01:29 PM
Who cares? When you have 4 of them catching 10 TD's and a part of the MOST potent passing attack in the NFL...they could rank us dead last for all I care. It doesnt mean shit.

Cugel
05-28-2014, 02:20 PM
Basically, as Decker will prove this season when he doesn't have Demaryius Thomas on the other side of him, having Peyton Manning makes a huge difference. Some writers discount the Broncos WRs because of that, but if your QB isn't a great passer, you're not going to have a great passing offense.

So, trying to "offset" the Broncos WRs talent to account for Peyton Manning is just futile and stupid.

Is Marshall & Jeffords better than D.T. and Sanders? I really don't think Peyton Manning cares a bit. He's going to throw to whoever is open, and when you add in Julius Thomas and Welker somebody is going to be open.

The key this season is going to be whether the revamped OL can get Peyton the time to throw downfield, because every team this year is going to try and do what Seattle did in the SB, just line up with 4 DL and get consistent pressure and then try and jam and beat up the Broncos receivers in the flat and jump the underneath coverage, and dare Manning to try and hold onto the ball and throw deep downfield.

They are ALL going to see if that works against Manning's offense this season, which means Manning is going to need to throw more deep balls than last year to force defenses to play honest. And for those throws to come open he's going to need more time than he got last year. Hence the importance of Ryan Clady regaining his health.

That was the KEY injury that hurt the Broncos in the SB more than any other, more than losing Chris Harris, or Von Miller or Kevin Vickerson or Derek Wolfe or the injury to Champ Bailey.

DenBronx
05-30-2014, 03:55 PM
If this is one of those Cutler/Marshall threads, just stop now. Nothing but hate flows from these. ;)

No one even went there.

DenBronx
05-30-2014, 03:56 PM
Had this been last year we would hands down be #1