PDA

View Full Version : Soccer World Cup

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Valar Morghulis
05-26-2014, 03:53 PM
I know that some of you might not even be aware this is happening, but in about 2 weeks the Soccer World Cup starts in Brazil. I am quite excited about this and was wondering about some of your predictions for the over all winner - or at least finalists?

I think the winner will be Uruguay. This tournament always throws up a surprise and i think this year that might be Belgium.

I am also going to be bold and state that Spain will not get past the last 16 (end of a dynasty).

Germany have a great shout but in South America - i just fancy someone from South America to win it and something tells me it wont be one of the big two (Brazil or Argentina).

Now that this has been immortalised online - i will be open to ridicule when i am completely wrong!

What your predictions?

MOtorboat
05-26-2014, 04:10 PM
I am just getting into this futbol thing, so I have no clue. I think it sucks that Landon Donovan got left off the U.S. roster

Valar Morghulis
05-26-2014, 04:21 PM
Yeah - i thought that was harsh, he has been a great servant to your team, but sentiment has never won a game.

That said, i would still have taken him, if for no other reason that to help the younger players benefit from his experience. He is also the perfect player to bring on late in a game if they need an "old head" just to steady the rest of the team.

BroncoWave
05-26-2014, 04:22 PM
I would be pretty damn shocked if someone other than Brazil won.

MOtorboat
05-26-2014, 04:22 PM
Damn German coach :D

Valar Morghulis
05-26-2014, 04:24 PM
I would be pretty damn shocked if someone other than Brazil won.

Home advantage will be important, and after all they are Brazil! There is more soccer talent on one brazilian beach at any time than in all the football academys of excellence in all of Scotland!

Jaws
05-26-2014, 04:29 PM
Hoping Suarez recovers in time from his knee surgery.

Valar Morghulis
05-26-2014, 04:33 PM
Hoping Suarez recovers in time from his knee surgery.

I think he will be fine - ready to take a bite out of someone before you know it!

Slick
05-26-2014, 04:42 PM
I don't think the US makes it out of that tough group. England will have it tough as well. If I remember correctly Argentina has an easy draw. Unlike you, I expect both them and Brasil to go far. I don't think Uruguay is going to win it. I hope not. Suarez is a turd. Can't stand him. Diego Forlan had a great cup last time out but isn't he old now?

A lot of talk about Belgium but I don't think the European teams will be able to deal very well with the heat. I have a few Argentinian friends so when the US goes down I'll be rooting for them. I used to half heartedly root for the Dutch team but Robben is another character that rubs me the wrong way.

I love the World Cup. I am excited. I'm going to try to watch as much as I can. I'm not sure what time the games will be on here. I think we're like 6 hours different than Brasil time.

Dapper Dan
05-26-2014, 04:44 PM
U-s-a!

U-s-a!

U-s-a!

Slick
05-26-2014, 04:47 PM
Damn German coach :D

Rumor I read somewhere was Landon and Klinsmann haven't gotten along very well. Klinsmann' s kid supposedly tweeted something ugly about Donovan after it was announced he wasn't on the final 23.

I think they might regret not having him around. They are bringing up some 18 year old kid who only has 1 cap.

Valar Morghulis
05-26-2014, 04:53 PM
Suarez is a turd. Can't stand him.

That made me choke on my coffee!! Yeah he is - but what a player.

I agree that the european teams might struggle with the heat - these tournaments are notorious for being won by a team from the host continent, so Argentina/Brazil have a great chance, i cant explain my inclination against them this time round - it is certainly not rational!

I am not too bothered about the time frame, i am used it from watching NFL! I remember the World Cup 94 in America - i was 14 and stayed up late every night eating pizza, crisps and chocolate drinking coke and generally loving life - i am looking to repeat that this year but perhaps with a beer or two.

I would love you guys to be this years surprise team, a successful world cup would do wonders for the game in the states - no doubt world domination of the soccer world is only about 10/15 years away anyway so a good showing might just bring that forward a little.

Do you live in Mexico? Are you Mexican? If so - you guys love soccer even more than us over here!

elsid13
05-26-2014, 05:00 PM
Rumor I read somewhere was Landon and Klinsmann haven't gotten along very well. Klinsmann' s kid supposedly tweeted something ugly about Donovan after it was announced he wasn't on the final 23.

I think they might regret not having him around. They are bringing up some 18 year old kid who only has 1 cap.

Green another German with American father. Klinsmann has get over his German centric view of the world and embrace what American culture brings to the table.

Dapper Dan
05-26-2014, 05:03 PM
Klinsmann? More like Klansman, amiright?

MOtorboat
05-26-2014, 05:04 PM
Green another German with American father. Klinsmann has get over his German centric view of the world and embrace what American culture brings to the table.

Five German-born players is what I think I heard.

Slick
05-26-2014, 05:08 PM
That made me choke on my coffee!! Yeah he is - but what a player.

I agree that the european teams might struggle with the heat - these tournaments are notorious for being won by a team from the host continent, so Argentina/Brazil have a great chance, i cant explain my inclination against them this time round - it is certainly not rational!

I am not too bothered about the time frame, i am used it from watching NFL! I remember the World Cup 94 in America - i was 14 and stayed up late every night eating pizza, crisps and chocolate drinking coke and generally loving life - i am looking to repeat that this year but perhaps with a beer or two.

I would love you guys to be this years surprise team, a successful world cup would do wonders for the game in the states - no doubt world domination of the soccer world is only about 10/15 years away anyway so a good showing might just bring that forward a little.

Do you live in Mexico? Are you Mexican? If so - you guys love soccer even more than us over here!

Yes I live in Mexico at the moment. No I am not Mexican. I'm a bloody yank. The mexican team is a mess. I doubt they win a game. The only reason El Tri (the mexican team) even qualified is because the US team beat someone, I forget who right now, by scoring 2 goals in the last 5 minutes of the last CONCACAF qualifying matches and Mexico backed into a playoff against New Zealand.

They've had like 20 coaches in the last 10 years or so.

I love Klinsmann. He's exactly what the US team needed. If only we could get some of the young kids who end up playing football or basketball to play futbol, I think the US team would start to dominate. Those kids need to learn that players like Messi and Ronaldo make over 30 million a year playing for their club teams. That's a lot more than Peyton Manning and Tom Brady make. Maybe once they see the money that can be made, the US team might make some noise in the World Cup.

Slick
05-26-2014, 05:20 PM

Five German-born players is what I think I heard.

If these German born players are better than our homegrown guys, I'm all for it, as long as Klinsmann doesn't give up on developing the talent in his new back yard.

Slick
05-26-2014, 05:24 PM
Would you rather get blasted by guys like Clowney, Watt, Ware, Miller, Pot Roast etc... or go travel around the world making just as much money if not more, banging models, driving fancy cars, seeing the world? Easy decision for me.

MOtorboat
05-26-2014, 05:33 PM
Would you rather get blasted by guys like Clowney, Watt, Ware, Miller, Pot Roast etc... or go travel around the world making just as much money if not more, banging models, driving fancy cars, seeing the world? Easy decision for me.

Have to find a way to expose them to the game at a younger age.

elsid13
05-26-2014, 05:37 PM
If these German born players are better than our homegrown guys, I'm all for it, as long as Klinsmann doesn't give up on developing the talent in his new back yard.

Green might be great promising talent but right now he not ready to play in WC.

Slick
05-26-2014, 05:44 PM

I think they do, it's just that once kids get a little older they start playing football, basketball or baseball. I started off playing soccer as a little kid but then switched to basketball and baseball.

Maybe with the concussion scare, more Moms and Dads will encourage their kids to stay in soccer. Dave's comment about the US rising to power on the world stage in 10 to 15 years is something that everyone was saying 20 years ago when the US hosted the Cup. It just hasn't materialized.

Slick
05-26-2014, 05:46 PM
Green might be great promising talent but right now he not ready to play in WC.

I had never heard of the kid until I read an article about Landon being snubbed and I thought I followed the team fairly closely.

MOtorboat
05-26-2014, 06:04 PM
The Landon Donovan thing just rubs me the wrong way.

elsid13
05-26-2014, 06:57 PM
I had never heard of the kid until I read an article about Landon being snubbed and I thought I followed the team fairly closely.

He plays for Bayern Munich FC, is extremely gifted 17 year player. He trained with the US team their last go around in Europe and played in the US/Mexico game in Phoenix. He was overmatched in that game

Devilspawn
05-26-2014, 07:39 PM
I would love a repeat. But I did an ESPN bracket and have:

Brazil vs Uruguay
Germany vs Switzerland

Spain vs Italy
Argentina vs USA

I think the U.S. makes it out along with Germany, which was tough for me to leave Portugal out of the knockout rounds but I wanted to pick an upset. I think Brazil beats Argentina in the finals and everyone gets nekked.

The Donovan thing was kinda foul.

Shazam!
05-26-2014, 07:48 PM
I'd rather eat a bucket of broken glass than watch soccer. I just can't get into it. I'm surprised Americans are, unless you're from a foreign country.

Slick
05-26-2014, 09:17 PM
I'd rather eat a bucket of broken glass than watch soccer. I just can't get into it. I'm surprised Americans are, unless you're from a foreign country.

It is the most watched sporting event in the world. Effing blows away the Superbowl. The amount of commercials during an NFL game is starting to turn me off.

Buff
05-26-2014, 10:06 PM
Huge World Cup fan. The last two World Cups have worked out to where I was able to watch most of the games. I'm afraid this year I won't get so lucky.

Shazam!
05-26-2014, 10:58 PM

It is the most watched sporting event in the world. Effing blows away the Superbowl. The amount of commercials during an NFL game is starting to turn me off.

I just said its not my cup of tea, I didn't deny its popularity.

Yeah, the commercials are getting insane. I'm surprised they didn't run a commercial in between Downs.

BigDaddyBronco
05-27-2014, 09:06 AM
I think Spain and Argentina will be in the final with it being a toss up. Argentina's attack is awesome with Messi, di Maria, Higuian, and Sergio Aguero, but don't have much on defense or in goal. Spain is just loaded and Spanish teams are holding every major cup right now. Defending World Cup, European Cup, Real Madrid just won the Champions League against Athletico Madrid, and Sevilla just beat Benfica in the Europa League. Spanish soccer is at the top right now. Brazil will be right there if either falter, and have a great crop of midfield players. Brazil is just solid, but they lack some experience and it will be interesting to see how they do if they get in a pinch. Italy and Holland are always in the mix. Germany is usually a front runner, but have had a lot of injuries leading up to the World Cup and might be in trouble.

But with the World Cup anything can happen. I'll be rooting for the US, England, and Belgium (lots of EPL players). OOut of those 3 I only see Belgium advancing out of their groups.

CoachChaz
05-27-2014, 11:13 AM
I agree...Spain is my favorite to win it all.

CoachChaz
05-27-2014, 11:23 AM

I coached youth soccer for a long time...even got my B license and coached Club soccer for awhile. The problem isnt getting kids exposed to it at a younger age...it's getting them to stick with it at an older age. Unfortunately, the system and social influences work against this happening. In any given association, the amount of teams drops significantly as kids get older. For example, my daughters team had 5 local opponents when she started playing at age 5. By the time her team was 14, we had one local opponent and had to travel all over north Dallas just to play league games. With girls, they are eventually swayed into basketball, softball and volleyball. With boys, they are swayed into baseball, basketball and football.

Despite the parental influences that sway these kids to other sports, there is also the financial aspect. When it comes to recruiting young players, the major colleges do not recruit from the high school ranks. They recruit from club teams and club teams are not cheap. I was the goalkeeping director for a local club team in the A league for 3 years. In order for a player to get on to one of these teams, they have to first be selected by the coaches...then the parents have to pay in the neighborhood of $3000 to $8000 a year for their kids to be on this team. On top of that, the clubs travel to all kinds of places for tournaments. So now you add travel costs and daily practices and events and it just becomes a scenario that the average family cant afford in both time and money.

So basically...the system itself plays just as big of a problem in keeping kids interested in the sport as the parents do. Football, basketball, baseball, volleyball, softball, track, etc. All these sports have college scouts recruiting from the high school ranks. Soccer is the exception. If you dont excel on a class A club team, you can forget about going to college to play soccer.

OrangeHoof
05-27-2014, 12:20 PM
If Rio is a vuvuzela-free zone, that works for me. I get caught up in the nationalism but I've never been rabid about soccer. Hard to accept a sport where the authority figures wear shorts. And their means of distributing punishment is so ghey - thrusting a card in the air! Stop that now or I'll thrust another card in the air! If I ever got carded, I would just sneer "cute knees, Wolfgang".

BroncoNut
05-27-2014, 12:38 PM
soccer is for men that fondle other men, but whatever homos, enjoy yourselves. thanks for the invite, but I'm out

Valar Morghulis
05-27-2014, 12:41 PM
I coached youth soccer for a long time...even got my B license and coached Club soccer for awhile. The problem isnt getting kids exposed to it at a younger age...it's getting them to stick with it at an older age. Unfortunately, the system and social influences work against this happening. In any given association, the amount of teams drops significantly as kids get older. For example, my daughters team had 5 local opponents when she started playing at age 5. By the time her team was 14, we had one local opponent and had to travel all over north Dallas just to play league games. With girls, they are eventually swayed into basketball, softball and volleyball. With boys, they are swayed into baseball, basketball and football.

Despite the parental influences that sway these kids to other sports, there is also the financial aspect. When it comes to recruiting young players, the major colleges do not recruit from the high school ranks. They recruit from club teams and club teams are not cheap. I was the goalkeeping director for a local club team in the A league for 3 years. In order for a player to get on to one of these teams, they have to first be selected by the coaches...then the parents have to pay in the neighborhood of $3000 to $8000 a year for their kids to be on this team. On top of that, the clubs travel to all kinds of places for tournaments. So now you add travel costs and daily practices and events and it just becomes a scenario that the average family cant afford in both time and money.

So basically...the system itself plays just as big of a problem in keeping kids interested in the sport as the parents do. Football, basketball, baseball, volleyball, softball, track, etc. All these sports have college scouts recruiting from the high school ranks. Soccer is the exception. If you dont excel on a class A club team, you can forget about going to college to play soccer.

Interesting.

In scotland there is no collegiate level sport (this is one area where you guys have got it soooo right). Basically you play for your local club, scouts from professional teams then come to watch you play, if you have enough talent a professional club will sign you (as young as 8). They will then develop the player (whilst they still also play for their local club). At the age of 16, they will either cut you - or sign you to a professional deal ( like the worse ever free agent NFL deal X one thousand - the best part of the deal is free boots), you can then be pretty much cut at any time.

CoachChaz
05-27-2014, 01:40 PM
Interesting.

In scotland there is no collegiate level sport (this is one area where you guys have got it soooo right). Basically you play for your local club, scouts from professional teams then come to watch you play, if you have enough talent a professional club will sign you (as young as 8). They will then develop the player (whilst they still also play for their local club). At the age of 16, they will either cut you - or sign you to a professional deal ( like the worse ever free agent NFL deal X one thousand - the best part of the deal is free boots), you can then be pretty much cut at any time.

Problem here is we dont have any professional clubs to do this with. Unless you count the MLS as a professional soccer organization, but I'm guessing no country in the rest of the world does. Our better youth clubs wont pay the players...the players have to pay them. And if a kid/family has a choice between playing other sports for a much more nominal fee, why wouldnt they?

I coached both recreationally and at the club level. I've seen a bunch of kids at the rec level that were just as good, if not better than the kids on premier club teams. Unfortunately, most of their families either couldnt afford the fees or couldnt afford the amount of time the player would have to dedicate to the club. Having been through the system, I can assure the rest of the world one thing. The players you will see wearing stars and stripes in the WC next month are NOT the best soccer players we have. They are just the ones that had the money to play the game.

elsid13
05-27-2014, 05:15 PM
Problem here is we dont have any professional clubs to do this with. Unless you count the MLS as a professional soccer organization, but I'm guessing no country in the rest of the world does. Our better youth clubs wont pay the players...the players have to pay them. And if a kid/family has a choice between playing other sports for a much more nominal fee, why wouldnt they?

I coached both recreationally and at the club level. I've seen a bunch of kids at the rec level that were just as good, if not better than the kids on premier club teams. Unfortunately, most of their families either couldnt afford the fees or couldnt afford the amount of time the player would have to dedicate to the club. Having been through the system, I can assure the rest of the world one thing. The players you will see wearing stars and stripes in the WC next month are NOT the best soccer players we have. They are just the ones that had the money to play the game.

MLS teams have youth academies that attempt to home grow players like they do in Europe. The problem is the feeder systems are the travel teams and not the rec leagues.

MOtorboat
06-01-2014, 01:07 PM
U.s.a.! U.s.a.!

MOtorboat
06-01-2014, 01:19 PM
The back line has had a rocky start here.

Valar Morghulis
06-01-2014, 01:40 PM
I am watching Germany Vs Cameroon - your game is not being televised over here. Who you playing?

MOtorboat
06-01-2014, 01:49 PM
I am watching Germany Vs Cameroon - your game is not being televised over here. Who you playing?

Turkey. 1-0. Fabian Johnson had a nice little give and go with Bradley for the goal. It was pretty. But the back line has given up several chances to Turkey, two that should have gone in the net probably.

BigDaddyBronco
06-01-2014, 03:34 PM
Turkey. 1-0. Fabian Johnson had a nice little give and go with Bradley for the goal. It was pretty. But the back line has given up several chances to Turkey, two that should have gone in the net probably.

Klinsman is still trying to pick a back 4. Not a good thing this late in the game. Too late for them to get any chemistry before the World Cup. Altidore is doing all the right things except for scoring. I don't like our chances this year.

Buff
06-04-2014, 02:30 PM
Good article on Klinsmann here - http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/08/magazine/how-jurgen-klinsmann-plans-to-make-us-soccer-better-and-less-american.html

Slick
06-04-2014, 04:37 PM
Klinsman is still trying to pick a back 4. Not a good thing this late in the game. Too late for them to get any chemistry before the World Cup. Altidore is doing all the right things except for scoring. I don't like our chances this year.

That's just Altidore being Altidore. I don't think that's ever going to change. Good thing we have good goalkeeping because I agree with youabout the back 4. I ddon't have a whole lot of confidence in them.

Weird stuff can happen in the World Cup. Ball bounces the right way, keeper gets off his line. Who knows? The US might surprise us.

Buff
06-04-2014, 04:39 PM
Goldman Sachs had the U.S. at 250:1 to win it all. Our coach said it's not realistically possible for us to win it. And our group draw effing blows (because the competition is so good). That's an uphill battle.

Slick
06-04-2014, 04:45 PM
Goldman Sachs had the U.S. at 250:1 to win it all. Our coach said it's not realistically possible for us to win it. And our group draw effing blows (because the competition is so good). That's an uphill battle.

I'd be happy if they made it out of the group stage. That's a really tough draw.

Buff
06-04-2014, 04:48 PM
I'd be happy if they made it out of the group stage. That's a really tough draw.

If we lose to effing Ghana again I'm going to be super bitter.

Slick
06-04-2014, 04:53 PM

Yeah, that was a tough loss last time. Michael Essien is better than any player on the US side. I was hoping he was too old to go to Brasil but I think I read somewhere that he's in good form and ready to go. Not good for us.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-04-2014, 04:55 PM

I had similar thoughts when I saw the draw. I think we'll beat Ghana, but once we get to Germany my confidence wanes a little.

Buff
06-04-2014, 04:57 PM
I had similar thoughts when I saw the draw. I think we'll beat Ghana, but once we get to Germany my confidence wanes a little.

Yeah, I don't have any confidence that we can hang with Germany... But I was slightly encouraged by the news that Ronaldo is dealing with a leg injury. Maybe we can hang with Portugal.

Buff
06-04-2014, 04:58 PM
Yeah, that was a tough loss last time. Michael Essien is better than any player on the US side. I was hoping he was too old to go to Brasil but I think I read somewhere that he's in good form and ready to go. Not good for us.

Tough losses the last two times!

MOtorboat
06-04-2014, 05:10 PM
Yeah, I don't have any confidence that we can hang with Germany... But I was slightly encouraged by the news that Ronaldo is dealing with a leg injury. Maybe we can hang with Portugal.

We absolutely can beat Portugal if Ronaldo isn't fit.

chazoe60
06-04-2014, 05:48 PM
I should troll this thread, but I won't.

Slick
06-04-2014, 05:50 PM
Tough losses the last two times!

The second was worse because I thought we had played better than they did.

Slick
06-04-2014, 05:51 PM
We absolutely can beat Portugal if Ronaldo isn't fit.

He hasn't exactly played well in international play either. I think we could win that one outright.

Valar Morghulis
06-04-2014, 05:59 PM
Klinsmann was a big game player - he might surprise you, but getting out that group wil be ninja level hard

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-04-2014, 06:10 PM

Nah, just go with your gut.

MOtorboat
06-04-2014, 06:19 PM

You sure you want to do that?

elsid13
06-04-2014, 06:55 PM
Klinsmann was a big game player - he might surprise you, but getting out that group wil be ninja level hard

I hope he's not suiting up, because I don't think 50 year old is going to help.

Valar Morghulis
06-05-2014, 12:47 AM
I hope he's not suiting up, because I don't think 50 year old is going to help.

Brilliant!

MOtorboat
06-05-2014, 12:10 PM
So the conductors of the subway system in São Paulo went on strike today and the commuters went into full riot mode kicking down fences at the stadium where the World Cup will begin.

This is going to be an interesting World Cup.

chazoe60
06-05-2014, 12:19 PM
So the conductors of the subway system in São Paulo went on strike today and the commuters went into full riot mode kicking down fences at the stadium where the World Cup will begin.

Soccer fans need riots, it reduces the boredom.

Slick
06-05-2014, 02:11 PM

The conductors were offered an 8% pay raise and they were asking for 16%. They had a similar situation with the city bus drivers a year ago and raised the price to ride the bus so the commuters rioted because of the price hike.

If Brasil doesn't win the Cup shit is going to get ugly.

aberdien
06-06-2014, 01:41 AM

buncha soccer n00bs in here

4vXGLx63FEo

Valar Morghulis
06-07-2014, 11:11 AM
buncha soccer n00bs in here

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vXGLx63FEo">YouTube Link</a>

How is that even possible! You are a sports presenter - do your job!

MOtorboat
06-07-2014, 06:44 PM
U.s.a! U.s.a!

Slick
06-07-2014, 10:21 PM
Jozy scored twice?

MOtorboat
06-07-2014, 11:12 PM
Jozy scored twice?

Si, señor.

BigDaddyBronco
06-08-2014, 06:21 AM
Jozy scored twice?

The first one was a tap in from a wonderful Fabian Johnson pass, the second was a him putting a move on a defender and then shooting a nice shot pass the goalie. It was a nice, skillful goal.

MOtorboat
06-08-2014, 10:54 AM
The first one was a tap in from a wonderful Fabian Johnson pass, the second was a him putting a move on a defender and then shooting a nice shot pass the goalie. It was a nice, skillful goal.

I did not know who Fabian Johnson was until that last match. He could really make a difference in Brazil.

BigDaddyBronco
06-09-2014, 09:00 AM
I did not know who Fabian Johnson was until that last match. He could really make a difference in Brazil.

Offensively he could, he isn't a great defender however. Neither is Beasley. But with the 4-2-3-1 they should play you have both Beckerman and Jermaine Jones back to help defensively. Get ready for counter attack soccer. It really is our best hope.

Slick
06-12-2014, 02:57 PM
Game time!!! This is going to be a fun 4 weeks.

MOtorboat
06-12-2014, 02:59 PM
Game time!!! This is going to be a fun 4 weeks.

The benefits of the new position...I'm working while I watch this (albeit, I am working on other things...)

Buff
06-12-2014, 03:01 PM
I've got my DVR set. This will be the first World Cup of the last few where I won't get to watch a lot of the games. Jobs are overrated.

Ravage!!!
06-12-2014, 03:03 PM
Fun? Depends on your definition of fun. If watching a sport for the intent of taking a good nap is "fun".... then yeah.

BroncoWave
06-12-2014, 03:08 PM
Fun? Depends on your definition of fun. If watching a sport for the intent of taking a good nap is "fun".... then yeah.

Then why are you posting in this thread?

BroncoWave
06-12-2014, 03:08 PM
I've got my DVR set. This will be the first World Cup of the last few where I won't get to watch a lot of the games. Jobs are overrated.

Same here. Thank goodness for Tivo!

Buff
06-12-2014, 03:09 PM
Same here. Thank goodness for Tivo!

Check that. I am now live streaming on ESPN. What a world we live in.

BroncoWave
06-12-2014, 03:10 PM
Check that. I am now live streaming on ESPN. What a world we live in.

It's a great time to be alive!

BroncoWave
06-12-2014, 03:13 PM
Wow, an own goal by Brazil 10 minutes into the World Cup. What a disastrous start for them.

Valar Morghulis
06-12-2014, 03:22 PM
Wow, an own goal by Brazil 10 minutes into the World Cup. What a disastrous start for them.

20 mins gone - i am predicting 3 - 1 brazil.

(i may do this a lot - but will never be right)

BroncoWave
06-12-2014, 03:25 PM
So I just looked up the times for the USA games, and I will actually be able to see all 3 without tivoing. Their first game is Monday at 6 eastern, second game is on a Sunday, and the third game is Thursday the 26th, a day I happen to be off work.

MOtorboat
06-12-2014, 03:29 PM
And it's chippy...

BroncoWave
06-12-2014, 03:32 PM
Man, that was a sweet goal. If that ball is off two inches in either direction it either gets deflected by the keeper or the post.

Slick
06-12-2014, 03:35 PM
Hulk could play linebacker.

MOtorboat
06-12-2014, 03:37 PM
Hulk could play linebacker.

He's 5-11, 190. I doubt it...

Slick
06-12-2014, 03:45 PM
Let me exagerate Mo.

Croatia is man handling Brasil right now. Power vs finesse.

aberdien
06-12-2014, 03:48 PM
Brazil has power + finesse though. Croatia is solid and I think will make it out of the group ahead of Mexico, but they'll have to get an own goal here or there to beat them. I would be fine with it, but if Brazil loses there will be even more riots I bet. Maybe a few heads chopped off too.

Buff
06-12-2014, 03:49 PM
There is a certain inevitability that you feel with Brazil's talent. Like a coiled spring, even when they're struggling it feels like they have much more goal scoring potential.

Slick
06-12-2014, 03:58 PM
Brazil has power + finesse though. Croatia is solid and I think will make it out of the group ahead of Mexico, but they'll have to get an own goal here or there to beat them. I would be fine with it, but if Brazil loses there will be even more riots I bet. Maybe a few heads chopped off too.

Who are the tough guys playing for Brasil, Abe? They're soft. ...and yeah, no way Mexico makes it out of that group. They shouldn't even bein Brasil to begin with.

Northman
06-12-2014, 03:58 PM
Go Germany!

BroncoWave
06-12-2014, 04:30 PM
I'm a novice when it comes to soccer, but that seemed like a really shitty call to give Brazil the penalty.

BroncoWave
06-12-2014, 04:31 PM
This is one of the reasons I picked Brazil to win this. Gotta expect the refs to cave a bit from the pressure of the overwhelming Brazilian crowd.

aberdien
06-12-2014, 04:31 PM
That was a sweet dive by Fred. Awful call by the ref, but oh well.

Buff
06-12-2014, 04:32 PM
I'm a novice when it comes to soccer, but that seemed like a really shitty call to give Brazil the penalty.

Yeah, but just think of how much money he's probably getting to fix the match.

BroncoWave
06-12-2014, 04:33 PM
Yeah, but just think of how much money he's probably getting to fix the match.

Not getting beheaded by Brazilian fans is also a pretty good reason to make that call.

MOtorboat
06-12-2014, 04:53 PM

(i may do this a lot - but will never be right)

BroncoWave
06-12-2014, 04:56 PM
Good prediction Dave! Does seem like Croatia deserved a better result than that, though.

Valar Morghulis
06-12-2014, 04:58 PM

Just sayin!

Valar Morghulis
06-12-2014, 04:59 PM
Good prediction Dave! Does seem like Croatia deserved a better result than that, though.

I think the best team won, but 3-1 seems harsh.

Some shocking decisions by the ref!

aberdien
06-12-2014, 05:00 PM
2-0 would've been a fair result if not for the own goal. Brazil is gonna hammer the others.

BroncoWave
06-12-2014, 05:02 PM
2-0 would've been a fair result if not for the own goal. Brazil is gonna hammer the others.

I would say 1-0 would have been fair. The own goal and the bad call both led to goals that probably should not have happened.

aberdien
06-12-2014, 05:04 PM
Meh, I just think Brazil are 2 goals better than Croatia on your average day.

Slick
06-12-2014, 05:12 PM
I hope the US doesn't draw that Japanese ref. He was terrible today.

Slick
06-12-2014, 05:15 PM
About the only thing that might keep Brasil from winning the whole enchilada might be their back 4. Alves and Marcelo cheat up those flanks like nobodies business. A team with a good counter attack might make them pay.

That was a good opening match to the Cup. I had fun watching it. It was fun. Really fun. Right Ravage?

BroncoWave
06-12-2014, 05:18 PM
I hope the US doesn't draw that Japanese ref. He was terrible today.

I would actually rather us get a terrible ref and just hope he's terrible against the other team. A bad ref increases the variance of the outcome, and with us as underdogs to get out of our group, I'd like the increased variance.

Slick
06-12-2014, 05:22 PM
I would actually rather us get a terrible ref and just hope he's terrible against the other team. A bad ref increases the variance of the outcome, and with us as underdogs to get out of our group, I'd like the increased variance.

The US doesn't have the talent to overcome a referee letting a team play as physical as Croatia played Brasil. No way.

Valar Morghulis
06-12-2014, 05:28 PM
The US doesn't have the talent to overcome a referee letting a team play as physical as Croatia played Brasil. No way.

I think that's fair, but what I have noticed about your team is that you play to orders well. And in that sense you are very organised which can be difficult to break down. I think you might miraculously make it out your group.

aberdien
06-12-2014, 05:30 PM
We've had some really poor refs in the past. Against Algeria we were denied a goal or two due to bad offsides calls.

I am confident we can draw against either Portugal or Germany (probably Portugal with an ailing Ronaldo) and draw or beat Ghana. I do think Ghana are as good as us if not better and have just as much of a chance to get out of the group as we do. Just gotta hope some dominoes fall our way.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-12-2014, 07:24 PM
We've had some really poor refs in the past. Against Algeria we were denied a goal or two due to bad offsides calls.

I am confident we can draw against either Portugal or Germany (probably Portugal with an ailing Ronaldo) and draw or beat Ghana. I do think Ghana are as good as us if not better and have just as much of a chance to get out of the group as we do. Just gotta hope some dominoes fall our way.

I will probably be more vested in the Ghana match than I have been in a soccer match in a long time. I really want to see some redemption against them. The flopping and fake injuries in that match were shameful. I hope we run them off the field.

OB
06-12-2014, 09:13 PM
Has anyone done the obnoxious GOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAALLLLLLLL post yet - tlty

Valar Morghulis
06-13-2014, 11:23 AM
Cameroon vs Mexico, 20 mins in still nil nil - I predict 1 - 1 final score

MOtorboat
06-13-2014, 11:25 AM
Mexico's defense sucks. But their offense is pretty good.

MOtorboat
06-13-2014, 12:26 PM
Cameroon's entire offensive strategy is now flopping in the box after the Mexico goal.

Buff
06-13-2014, 12:28 PM
These announcers are fantastic. That's one of the best parts of the World Cup.

Don't know why Fox wants to ruin it for the fans with Gus Johnson next WC... I'm a huge Johnson fan - but let him call football and basketball.

MOtorboat
06-13-2014, 12:32 PM
These announcers are fantastic. That's one of the best parts of the World Cup.

Don't know why Fox wants to ruin it for the fans with Gus Johnson next WC... I'm a huge Johnson fan - but let him call football and basketball.

Gus Johnson is way out of his element with soccer.

Buff
06-13-2014, 01:02 PM
Gus Johnson is way out of his element with soccer.

He's totally out of his element and it makes no sense. He's one of the best at football and basketball - he's basically universally disliked as a soccer announcer. It'd be like having Ian Darke call an NFL game.

MOtorboat
06-13-2014, 01:03 PM
He's totally out of his element and it makes no sense. He's one of the best at football and basketball - he's basically universally disliked as a soccer announcer. It'd be like having Ian Darke call an NFL game.

I'd watch that.

Valar Morghulis
06-13-2014, 01:05 PM
2 games in - and the referees have been awful both games

BroncoNut
06-13-2014, 01:06 PM
so you guys follow soccer outside of the world cup? I mean with all the predictions already?

Buff
06-13-2014, 01:06 PM
2 games in - and the referees have been awful both games

Calling a penalty on a dive is one thing. Disallowing goals that should have been good seems pretty unforgivable as far as refereeing mistakes go.

Valar Morghulis
06-13-2014, 01:20 PM
I don't know why they don't just automatically booth review all penalties and goals.

It would take seconds.

Buff
06-13-2014, 01:23 PM
I don't know why they don't just automatically booth review all penalties and goals.

It would take seconds.

Seems like reviewing offsides calls should be a no-brainer. It should be black and white.

Valar Morghulis
06-13-2014, 01:27 PM
Seems like reviewing offsides calls should be a no-brainer. It should be black and white.

I agree mate

MOtorboat
06-13-2014, 01:33 PM

Except for the whistle aspect. Like a fumble in football. What do they give Mexico? A penalty shot?

Buff
06-13-2014, 01:35 PM
Except for the whistle aspect. Like a fumble in football. What do they give Mexico? A penalty shot?

Well they should get something.

FanInAZ
06-13-2014, 01:38 PM
so you guys follow soccer outside of the world cup? I mean with all the predictions already?

I'm just a fan of Team USA :usa2:

Slick
06-13-2014, 02:25 PM
Match of the day boys. Two really strong teams.

Valar Morghulis
06-13-2014, 02:33 PM
Match of the day boys. Two really strong teams.

Who do you think will win?

I am still taking the Dutch tonight

Buff
06-13-2014, 02:36 PM
Shit I didn't think this game was until 3pm local time. Dammit.

Buff
06-13-2014, 02:47 PM
That was a sweet header.

BroncoNut
06-13-2014, 02:51 PM

over spain? are you on Crack?

MOtorboat
06-13-2014, 02:55 PM
That was a sweet header.

It was a pretty sweet play all around.

Slick
06-13-2014, 02:56 PM
That was a sweet header.

The ball played into Van Persie was perfect. Great finish too. Hell of a goal.

Slick
06-13-2014, 02:57 PM

I think they tie.

Slick
06-13-2014, 02:58 PM
Buff, where did you find a stream? I will be stuck at the shop for the 2nd half

BroncoNut
06-13-2014, 03:20 PM
Buff, where did you find a stream? I will be stuck at the shop for the 2nd half

damn slick, to hell with a stream, you have a whole ocean

BroncoWave
06-13-2014, 03:22 PM
It doesn't seem like you should be allowed to flat out plow into the goalkeeper on a corner kick.

Valar Morghulis
06-13-2014, 03:23 PM
over spain? are you on Crack?

Lol 3 - 1.

Who is on crack now.

Final score 3 - 2 torres week get one back

BroncoJoe
06-13-2014, 03:27 PM
I wanted to see a fight.

Buff
06-13-2014, 03:31 PM
Well that escalated quickly.

BroncoJoe
06-13-2014, 03:32 PM
Maybe the Netherlands can pull their goalie?

MOtorboat
06-13-2014, 03:36 PM
The Netherlands is better than I thought. Van Persie is pretty good.

BroncoWave
06-13-2014, 03:37 PM
Damn. What the hell happened to Spain since 4 years ago?

Valar Morghulis
06-13-2014, 03:38 PM
Holy jesus - I thought they would win but this is outrageous!

BroncoJoe
06-13-2014, 03:39 PM
Maybe the Netherlands can pull their goalie?

Shit. I meant to say Spain.

Jaws
06-13-2014, 03:53 PM
Wow, that was fun. I always enjoy watching the Dutch.

Northman
06-13-2014, 03:57 PM
Spain got Spainked.

BroncoJoe
06-13-2014, 03:57 PM
Tubby is going to get sloshed tonight.

tubby
06-13-2014, 04:03 PM
How bout those Dutchmen

Slick
06-13-2014, 04:09 PM
That was a clinic, and against the defending champs. Very impressive win. I still think Robben is a turd though.

Spain might have a tough time bouncing back. They better hope like hell advancing from their group doesn't come down to goal differential.

BroncoJoe
06-13-2014, 04:19 PM
Being a soccer novice, can someone explain (reader's digest version, please) how the tournament works? Clearly, it's not single elimination...

Jaws
06-13-2014, 04:25 PM
Being a soccer novice, can someone explain (reader's digest version, please) how the tournament works? Clearly, it's not single elimination...

You have 8 groups with 4 teams in each. Everyone within their group plays each other, a total of 3 games. At the end of the group stage, top 2 from each group advance to last 16.

Valar Morghulis
06-13-2014, 04:25 PM

32 teams spilt into leagues of 4 - like the nfl.

They play each other once.

The top two go through.

Then it's knock out - like the play offs

tubby
06-13-2014, 04:26 PM
That was a clinic, and against the defending champs. Very impressive win. I still think Robben is a turd though.

Spain might have a tough time bouncing back. They better hope like hell advancing from their group doesn't come down to goal differential.

Yeah but it's like the Broncos kicking the shit out of Seattle in a preseason game next year.

Valar Morghulis
06-13-2014, 04:29 PM
Yeah but it's like the Broncos kicking the shit out of Seattle in a preseason game next year.

Fair analogy.

If Spain win the next two - this result will be irrelevant. They also lost their first hand in the last world cup and they end up winning the whole thing

That said I don't think Spain will make the last 16. End of a dynasty - like what will happen to the patriots this year.. It will be ugly

Buff
06-13-2014, 04:30 PM

Yeah, except for, you know, it was 1 of 3 matches that they've been waiting 4 years to play. So, it's pretty much the opposite of a preseason game. But other than that it's similar.

Jaws
06-13-2014, 04:30 PM
Fair analogy.

If Spain win the next two - this result will be irrelevant. They also lost their first hand in the last world cup and they end up winning the whole thing

That said I don't think Spain will make the last 16. End of a dynasty - like what will happen to the patriots this year.. It will be ugly

I wouldn't miss them too much. They played so negatively last World Cup. Bored me silly.

Buff
06-13-2014, 04:31 PM
Fair analogy.

It was one of the worst analogies I've seen in months. Don't humor him like that!

aberdien
06-13-2014, 04:32 PM
The Netherlands is better than I thought. Van Persie is pretty good.
RVP is world class IMO. He was injured a lot this past season but that may pay a benefit for him as he's on fresh legs. Robben is a badass. I still don't think Netherlands will win the WC, but given this result and the importance of goal difference in this group, there's no doubt in my mind they're gonna make it through. Maybe at the expense of Espana.

Damn. What the hell happened to Spain since 4 years ago?
They were quite terrible at the Confederations Cup 2 years ago. Teams have caught up with their tiki-taka style of play and now know how to get a good result against them. Their strongest players at the last world cup in the midfield and forward positions have all aged since then, and it's not looking great. They're also missing the God that is Carles Puyol who was really the heart of the defense in 2010. He's now retired, but they don't seem to have a defender with as much passion as Puyol. Ramos is a great player, but he's a ponce and has a tendency to give into his frustrations (and get red cards). All of their backs are world class, but they are just missing the passion that Puyol had. As for their midfield, Xavi is past it, Xabi is getting older, Iniesta is still great but older. They need to bring in some younger dudes, the Fabregas and younger guys who didn't play as much as others at the last world cup. Their forwards aren't too great either. Costa has had a great season but i'm not sold on him 100% for the national team as he is relatively new. Torres blows, I was quite shocked that he even made the 23 man roster. Even Soldado with the terrible form he's been in would have been a better choice. David Villa is still a good player but he's old and probably is best coming on as a sub. In all, they need to get younger and play more aggressively and offensively rather than doing the same old song and dance that they did in 2010.

Shit. I meant to say Spain.
I think Iker is past it. I suspect De Gea will get the nod in the next match. He has lost a step and is no longer the St. Iker that made him great.

tubby
06-13-2014, 04:37 PM
Yeah, except for, you know, it was 1 of 3 matches that they've been waiting 4 years to play. So, it's pretty much the opposite of a preseason game. But other than that it's similar.

Meh. As a super hard core Dutch soccer fan, it feels the same.

aberdien
06-13-2014, 04:38 PM

You call it "soccer" which means you can't be that hardcore of a fan.

tubby
06-13-2014, 04:39 PM
Oh I'm hard core. #4yearstoolate

Buff
06-13-2014, 04:41 PM

Fair. You haven't won anything yet. I just think the World Cup is about about as far on the other end of the spectrum from the NFL preseason as it gets.

tubby
06-13-2014, 04:48 PM
Fair. You haven't won anything yet. I just think the World Cup is about about as far on the other end of the spectrum from the NFL preseason as it gets.

You do realize that they played each other in the 2010 FIFA World Cup Final, right? #somepeople

Valar Morghulis
06-13-2014, 04:50 PM

I had a Dutch girlfriend when I was in my early 20s - hard core is a word I would use to describe her. And filthy, nasty and slutty.

In fact she was pretty awesome... Until we left the bedroom, then she was bat shit crazy and might even have had mental problems - not like brick tamlan mental problems - she was just a bit paranoid.

Slick
06-13-2014, 06:30 PM
I didn't expect Australia to play Chile this tough. Cahill is a fine player.

Buff
06-13-2014, 07:03 PM
What's with the "nice try, Australia" narrative? Honest question. Do they suck?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-13-2014, 07:05 PM
What's with the "nice try, Australia" narrative? Honest question. Do they suck?

Lowest ranked team in the field...

Devilspawn
06-13-2014, 07:11 PM
I would say 4 years too late at least we won the Cup yada yada yada... but freakin 5-1!! Have to give it up to the Dutch. And my Spain looked out-slaughtered in the process. Iker is my favorite player of the last 20 years but he's probably not the best choice this year. This isn't the Spain teams that choked in years past prior to winning it. This team was just beaten thoroughly. Oh well, only way in the next round is if Spain slaughters Chile and Australia, and Chile gets beaten up by the Dutch. Still not out of it yet but damn. 5-1. The Dutch literally took the S out of Spain.

aberdien
06-13-2014, 07:14 PM
I have a Spain jersey but I didn't wear it today. I will wear it next match since I am such good luck.

Slick
06-13-2014, 07:43 PM
Lowest ranked team in the field...

I thought Cameroon was.

Anyways, the Mexicans are strutting around with their chests all puffed out. They're in for a rude awakening against Brasil and Croatia.

Slick
06-14-2014, 04:14 PM
So happy for Costa Rica and really glad Uruguay went down. Looking forward to England/Italy in a few. I'd like to see England do to Italy what the Dutch did to the Spanish.

Valar Morghulis
06-14-2014, 04:31 PM
So happy for Costa Rica and really glad Uruguay went down. Looking forward to England/Italy in a few. I'd like to see England do to Italy what the Dutch did to the Spanish.

For me this was a more surprising result than spain/holland - I think england will take Italy down 2- 0 tonight - or it will be a really boring draw

Slick
06-14-2014, 05:36 PM
For me this was a more surprising result than spain/holland - I think england will take Italy down 2- 0 tonight - or it will be a really boring draw

Italy just walks around, barely jogging at times and lulls England to sleep. I can't stand their style of play.

Slick
06-14-2014, 05:37 PM
Well, they're awake after all. Very nice goal to answer. Go you stinking Brits!!!

Valar Morghulis
06-14-2014, 05:47 PM
Italy just walks around, barely jogging at times and lulls England to sleep. I can't stand their style of play.

I know what you mean, but whilst not exactly a flair team, they are technically and tactically brilliant

Slick
06-14-2014, 06:03 PM
Pirlo is 35? He looks 50.

Valar Morghulis
06-14-2014, 06:56 PM
Another good game - Italy were just really well organised and England struggled to break them down, and when they did - never took their chances.

Slick
06-14-2014, 06:59 PM
Another good game - Italy were just really well organised and England struggled to break them down, and when they did - never took their chances.

Every time England got it down there, Italy had 9 guys in the box. 2 of those crosses by Johnson in the second half were atrocious.

slim
06-14-2014, 08:43 PM
It sounds like Brazil has this thing figured out.

I'm sure the upcoming Olympics will be great!

MOtorboat
06-15-2014, 12:50 PM
Well that was awesome.

Valar Morghulis
06-15-2014, 02:17 PM
Prediction France 4 HOnduras 0

MOtorboat
06-15-2014, 02:18 PM
Magic spray!

Slick
06-15-2014, 05:01 PM
Vamos Argentina!

MOtorboat
06-15-2014, 05:05 PM
Gringo question here....

Does Messi get an assist on an own goal?

chrisslot
06-15-2014, 05:10 PM
Killing the spanish was AWESOME! Greets From holland

aberdien
06-15-2014, 05:41 PM
Gringo question here....

Does Messi get an assist on an own goal?

lol nah

MOtorboat
06-15-2014, 05:52 PM
lol nah

But it was a perfect cross....

aberdien
06-15-2014, 05:56 PM
That would be so cruel haha.

Argentina isn't as fun without seeing Diego Maradona managing on the sideline.

Slick
06-16-2014, 10:57 AM
Lots of talent on the pitch in this one. I have to give the edge to Germany but the Portuguese are due to break out. They've got quite a few players playing on some of the best clubs in Europe.

I've got the day off. Looking forward to some quality couch time and a big, redemption style win later on today.

USA! USA! USA!

BroncoNut
06-16-2014, 11:01 AM
I thought Cameroon was.

Anyways, the Mexicans are strutting around with their chests all puffed out. They're in for a rude awakening against Brasil and Croatia.

omg, I bet your captains are pretty insufferable right now, especially senor Victor

Slick
06-16-2014, 11:04 AM
omg, I bet your captains are pretty insufferable right now, especially senor Victor

They'll come back down to earth when Brasil breaks one off tomorrow.

Slick
06-16-2014, 11:14 AM
1-0 Germany. Horrible tackle in the box resulted in a yellow card and a penalty kick.

Exciting game so far.

Slick
06-16-2014, 11:34 AM
2-0 Germany. Great header off a corner kick. The Portuguese are rattled.

Slick
06-16-2014, 11:38 AM
And Pepe gets the red card. Whoa.

Slick
06-16-2014, 11:39 AM
Where's my kneegrow Dave?

Northman
06-16-2014, 11:43 AM
2-0 Germans. Woot!

MOtorboat
06-16-2014, 11:44 AM
This is the result the Americans want, right, slick?

And who else does Portugal have? The only player we hear of is Ronaldo. But, I was looking at the Argentine team sheet last night, and we only hear about Messi, but they had La Liga, Ligue 1 and Premier league starters all over the field.

Slick
06-16-2014, 11:55 AM
This is the result the Americans want, right, slick?

And who else does Portugal have? The only player we hear of is Ronaldo. But, I was looking at the Argentine team sheet last night, and we only hear about Messi, but they had La Liga, Ligue 1 and Premier league starters all over the field.

3-0 Germany.

Portugal has Ronaldo, Nani(man city now i think) pepe and contrao play on Real Madrid, I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting about. They've always had a lot of talent but they don't play well internationally historically speaking.

I don't know that it helps us all that much. If advancing come down to goal differental it will unless we shit the bed too. I guess it helps because they will be frustrated as a team and Pepe will miss the next match because of the red caed. ( dave or abe can correct me if i am wrong).

The US could tie all three games and advance depending on what Ghana and Portugal do. I think its too early to tell though.

We need to win today. If we can do that, we'd be 3 points ahead of both Ghana and Portugal. That would be huge.

Slick
06-16-2014, 11:57 AM
2-0 Germans. Woot!

They are playing great today. Definitely one of the favorites to win it all.

MOtorboat
06-16-2014, 12:07 PM
I guess my point was if the U.S. can win tonight and then get a win over Portugal they advance, because Portugal is getting smoked here.

aberdien
06-16-2014, 12:07 PM
Hope that germany keeps piling on. And hope that we keep our heads and kick Ghana ass later on. If we can beat Ghana, and Germany maintains this ass-kicking, we only have to draw against Portugal to make it through. But without Pepe there is a chance we could even win. All good things.

If we can get out of this "group of death" it would be the greatest triumph in US soccer history IMO.

Slick
06-16-2014, 12:19 PM
I guess my point was if the U.S. can win tonight and then get a win over Portugal they advance, because Portugal is getting smoked here.

Yes. If the US beats both Ghana and Portugal, they're in with authority. That would be incredible. The world would have to take notice.

Buff
06-16-2014, 12:22 PM
Let's just start by not losing to Ghana.

Slick
06-16-2014, 12:23 PM
Another break for the US. Coentrao just pulled a groin or a hammy. Went off on a stretcher.

Slick
06-16-2014, 12:25 PM

Yeah. Well said. The Mr Wolf quote from Pulp Fiction comes to mind.

Slick
06-16-2014, 12:38 PM
Müller with a hat trick.

aberdien
06-16-2014, 12:52 PM
I would be shocked to see another egg from Portugal though which is not good for the US.

Northman
06-16-2014, 12:54 PM
4-0

Love it.

BroncoNut
06-16-2014, 01:44 PM

aren't those guys like really dark, almost black black?

Buff
06-16-2014, 01:58 PM
aren't those guys like really dark, almost black black?

Yes, and we typically fair better against the light skinned blacks, so this promises to be a tough match.

Slick
06-16-2014, 02:02 PM
Man, Argentina got a lucky draw. Bosnia, Nigeria and Iran. Real powerhouses of international football there.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-16-2014, 02:13 PM
Man, Argentina got a lucky draw. Bosnia, Nigeria and Iran. Real powerhouses of international football there.

I wonder what the outcome would have been if Bosnia wouldn't have scored a goal for Argentina? I felt so bad for that guy.

Slick
06-16-2014, 02:19 PM
I wonder what the outcome would have been if Bosnia wouldn't have scored a goal for Argentina? I felt so bad for that guy.

Who knows? Argentina didn't really set the world on fire yesterday. The criticism of the Argentine team has been their back 4 are weak. Plenty of offensive firepower but weak in the back. Mascherano being a bulldog helps them.

They were one of my favorites going in. Playing in your home continent seems to be a big advantage. Could have been first game jitters. Messi got swarmed alot. Kind of like what the Germans did to Ronaldo.

BroncoNut
06-16-2014, 02:27 PM
Who knows? Argentina didn't really set the world on fire yesterday. The criticism of the Argentine team has been their back 4 are weak. Plenty of offensive firepower but weak in the back. Mascherano being a bulldog helps them.

They were one of my favorites going in. Playing in your home continent seems to be a big advantage. Could have been first game jitters. Messi got swarmed alot. Kind of like what the Germans did to Ronaldo.

isnt' Mexico North American continent and Argentina south American?

MOtorboat
06-16-2014, 02:39 PM
isnt' Mexico North American continent and Argentina south American?

Dynamite drop in Nut.

That broadcast school is really paying off.

Buff
06-16-2014, 02:45 PM
Dynamite drop in Nut.

I like how he's always got something ready to contribute to the thread.

BroncoNut
06-16-2014, 02:45 PM
Dynamite drop in Nut.

wtf? completely out of context jerkoff

BroncoNut
06-16-2014, 02:47 PM
I like how he's always got something ready to contribute to the thread.

guys comeon,what the eff? it was a serious question and I really don't appreciate being treated this way just because both of you have some pretty serious mental and self esteem issues,

Timmy!
06-16-2014, 03:37 PM
So t-minus about 3 hours until all of America can stop pretending to care about the world cup?

Pudge
06-16-2014, 03:42 PM
So t-minus about 3 hours until all of America can pretend to stop caring about the world cup?

You mean stop pretending to care, right?

Timmy!
06-16-2014, 03:43 PM
You mean stop pretending to care, right?

Yes. Don't mind me, my brain is not done rebooting yet.

Slick
06-16-2014, 03:43 PM
So t-minus about 3 hours until all of America can pretend to stop caring about the world cup?

Positive vibes and good mojo are needed. We want the ball and we're going to score!!!!

USA! USA! USA!

MOtorboat
06-16-2014, 03:44 PM
Eassien and Boteng not in the starting lineup.

MOtorboat
06-16-2014, 03:45 PM
So t-minus about 3 hours until all of America can stop pretending to care about the world cup?

Nah, you got two and a half weeks before we can stop pretending to care.

Timmy!
06-16-2014, 03:47 PM
Positive vibes and good mojo are needed. We want the ball and we're going to score!!!!

USA! USA! USA!

Please tell me I don't have to listen to a bunch if idiots blow their stupid plastic horn things for 90 minutes this time?

Timmy!
06-16-2014, 03:48 PM
Nah, you got two and a half weeks before we can stop pretending to care.

I seriously doubt that. Thankfully I don't know anybody that gives two shits anyway, but I will be a good soldier and cheer...sorta.

MOtorboat
06-16-2014, 03:50 PM
Please tell me I don't have to listen to a bunch if idiots blow their stupid plastic horn things for 90 minutes this time?

Not this time.

Timmy!
06-16-2014, 03:51 PM
Not this time.

Oh thank jeebus.

BroncoNut
06-16-2014, 03:55 PM
I like how everyone just starts to ignore me when my posts go straight to the heart of the matter. screw you dikholes, I hope those little bushmen guineas kick your fat pompous asses all over the field tonight

Timmy!
06-16-2014, 03:58 PM
I missed your post nut. I didn't read a single post of this thread before my post.

Slick
06-16-2014, 03:58 PM
Eassien and Boteng not in the starting lineup.

That is great news! We caught a break there. Essien is a world class player.

T minus 1 hour.

Timothy, you could always watch some boring top10 show on NFL network or you can catch the fever. Get on board. Ghana are the fukkers that knocked us out of the last cup!

Buff
06-16-2014, 04:00 PM
I thought the timing of this article was especially appropriate today... 30 minutes...

Employee Executes Daring 3:30 P.M. Escape From Office - http://www.theonion.com/articles/employee-executes-daring-330-pm-escape-from-office,36287/

Timmy!
06-16-2014, 04:01 PM
That is great news! We caught a break there. Essien is a world class player.

T minus 1 hour.

Timothy, you could always watch some boring top10 show on NFL network or you can catch the fever. Get on board. Ghana are the fukkers that knocked us out of the last cup!

I have like 400 channels slick, I can do better. As for Ghana I'm aware, I (painfully) watched that match at my buddies house who likes soccer. I was hammered 30minutes in.

MOtorboat
06-16-2014, 04:34 PM
Vamos a estadios unidas!

Am I close, slick?

elsid13
06-16-2014, 04:36 PM
I have like 400 channels slick, I can do better. As for Ghana I'm aware, I (painfully) watched that match at my buddies house who likes soccer. I was hammered 30minutes in.

Can we make that happen again? Mo go get Timmy drunk on some of that ewok special juice.

aberdien
06-16-2014, 04:37 PM
I am so nervous and got my where's waldo US jersey on.

I dunno if i'm all for choosing Bedoya to start over Zusi but good luck to him.

Slick
06-16-2014, 04:38 PM
Vamos Estados Unidos! Pretty close. You don't need the a in there.

Michael Bradley looking like he means business. Let's go boys!!!

BroncoNut
06-16-2014, 04:40 PM
Vamos a estadios unidas!

Am I close, slick?

omg, we go United States? like wtf? it's people like you that give the gringo a bad name

MOtorboat
Can we make that happen again? Mo go get Timmy drunk on some of that ewok special juice.

Timmy! doesn't need any help getting drunk.

Slick
I am so nervous and got my where's waldo US jersey on.

I dunno if i'm all for choosing Bedoya to start over Zusi but good luck to him.

I didn't see the last 3 friendlies and have to admit I don't know much about either of those two.

Slick
06-16-2014, 04:41 PM
Vamos can also mean "let's go", Agap. Mo actually did pretty good for not looking it up.

MOtorboat
06-16-2014, 04:44 PM
Vamos can also mean "let's go", Agap. Mo actually did pretty good for not looking it up.

The six years of Spanish in school finally paid off (sort of).

Jaws
06-16-2014, 04:45 PM
I wish there was some build-up to the USA game on radio instead of constant talk about Rooney, Rooney, Rooney! ZZZZ

MOtorboat
06-16-2014, 04:48 PM
I wish there was some build-up to the USA game on radio instead of constant talk about Rooney, Rooney, Rooney! ZZZZ

Can't you stream ESPN radio?

aberdien
06-16-2014, 04:48 PM
I didn't see the last 3 friendlies and have to admit I don't know much about either of those two.

Both are good but I think Zusi is better. His crosses are beautifully on point and his consistency passing is important. But we'll see about Bedoya, he has done well also, just not as well as Zusi IMO. Zusi is one of the best players in MLS in terms of leading others to goal, his passes are almost always positive. But Zusi will likely come on in the second half so not too big of a deal.

If we lose this, which is entirely possible, I doubt highly that we get out of the group. So this match will determine more than the ones against Portugal and Germany whether or not we make it out of the group.

Slick
06-16-2014, 04:49 PM
I am surprised to see so many supporters of Ghana in the stands. Doesn't seem like a country with a strong middle class. I imagine the flights from Ghana to Brasil are expensive.

I checked into flying to Buenos Aires from Cancun and it was $1, 400 USD.

Sam's Army is representing!

aberdien
06-16-2014, 04:50 PM

At least his hair implants looked nice in the Italy match.

Slick
06-16-2014, 04:52 PM
Both are good but I think Zusi is better. His crosses are beautifully on point and his consistency passing is important. But we'll see about Bedoya, he has done well also, just not as well as Zusi IMO. Zusi is one of the best players in MLS in terms of leading others to goal, his passes are almost always positive. But Zusi will likely come on in the second half so not too big of a deal.

If we lose this, which is entirely possible, I doubt highly that we get out of the group. So this match will determine more than the ones against Portugal and Germany whether or not we make it out of the group.

I agree. This game is huge. HUGE!

USA! USA! USA!