PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' defense is working hard to become a better unit

Denver Native (Carol)
05-25-2014, 12:58 PM
Peyton Manning can be too good for his own good. He doesn't do defenses any favors, including his own. Opponents started 206 drives against the Broncos last season. Only the Buffalo Bills faced more.

While Manning was breaking records, racing up and down the field, the Denver defense was left gasping, its vulnerabilities exposed.

For the Broncos to return to the Super Bowl and triumph a year after losing the big game — something that hasn't happened in the NFL since Tony Orlando and Dawn were tying yellow ribbons around ole oak trees in 1973 — they need to create more pressure and turnovers.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25830784/broncos-defense-is-working-hard-become-better-unit

BroncoWave
05-25-2014, 01:10 PM
Well I would sure hope they are...

HORSEPOWER 56
05-25-2014, 04:35 PM
I can always appreciate a focus on improving the defense and I'm extremely happy with the pieces we've brought in toward that end, but the embarrassment in the Superbowl should be placed at the feet of the offense. Had the offense been even remotely effective, the defense would've been on the field less, not been put into bad positions by turnovers, and wouldn't have been gassed as quickly.

Our lack of preparation, toughness, and ability to adjust to Seattle's defensive scheme on offense is what made the game a blowout.

BroncoBasil
05-25-2014, 05:57 PM
Speaking of the SB....Manning's arm strength had no business being on the same field as that Seattle defense...still doesn't. That's why unless he takes a backseat to a strong running game much like Elway did (not because of arm strength) I don't see much difference at this point.

Simple Jaded
05-25-2014, 06:33 PM
Speaking of the SB....Manning's arm strength had no business being on the same field as that Seattle defense...still doesn't. That's why unless he takes a backseat to a strong running game much like Elway did (not because of arm strength) I don't see much difference at this point.

Wut?

BroncoBasil
05-25-2014, 07:08 PM
Basically short crossing routes don't beat physical secondarys as you seen in the SB and that's about all that arm has left.

Shazam!
05-25-2014, 07:50 PM
Basil, CLEARLY you are not a fan, because I say you didn't watch the SB if that is your explanation, OR you're just want Seattle fan who's still playing with himself after the SB.

The OLine was exposed, Peyton Manning was under extreme duress in a way that he hasn't experienced in probably years. It was a disgusting performance by all involved.

Franklin got moved to LG because he was dominated in the SB to the point it was embarrassing.

I'm not taking anything away from Seattle's D, but it was the tremendous pressure that affected Peyton's performance. He may not have a cannon like Elway had, but velocity isn't Peyton's problem. You don't have the kind of year he did with lack of arm strength.

BroncoBasil
05-25-2014, 08:46 PM
And why do you think the seattle dline was able to tee off the whole game? It was because they were not scared of getting beat by Mannings arm knowing their secondary would handle 3yrd crossing routes easily. They darn sure weren't scared of a soft running game. The reason Franklin is moving inside is because Elway knows they need to line up like MEN and beat some a$$ instead of finesse 3yrd crossing routes.

Shazam!
05-25-2014, 10:12 PM
Because Peyton was gonna get killed, had no time to pick spots or wait for people to finish routes or get open. Nearly EVERY PLAY the OLine got manhandled.

Rewatch the game.

BroncoBasil
05-25-2014, 10:35 PM
I agree but even when he had time seattle knew they didn't have to defend the whole field because of his arm strength. Even with position changes, FA signing, and draft this team is still not physical enough to compete with the physical teams...unless they establish a an Online that can line up and beat a$$ with a dominant running game making Manning's play action actually count. I'm just not a homer, I still see a ton of faults with this team.

NightTerror218
05-25-2014, 11:12 PM
I agree but even when he had time seattle knew they didn't have to defend the whole field because of his arm strength. Even with position changes, FA signing, and draft this team is still not physical enough to compete with the physical teams...unless they establish a an Online that can line up and beat a$$ with a dominant running game making Manning's play action actually count. I'm just not a homer, I still see a ton of faults with this team.

Go look at starts his arm ius fine and stats show it for passes down field. Screen passes and crossing routes are just breasd and butter for him and killed almost every defense

silkamilkamonico
05-25-2014, 11:21 PM

On the plays he did settle, he was already rattled and beat down and the clock in his head was out of whack.

You apparently aren't paying attention to whats happening away from the ball.

Simple Jaded
05-26-2014, 12:26 AM
#tebowfan

BroncoBasil
05-26-2014, 08:36 AM
No! More of an Elway arm fan. We play in Denver Colorado NOT A DOME. We need a QB with a MANS arm to deal with the wind and cold not a noodle arm. We won't win a SB with PM at QB...not only because of his woman arm but because of his ego. You know he will not take a backseat to a running game like Elway did.

BroncoWave
05-26-2014, 08:38 AM
No! More of an Elway arm fan. We play in Denver Colorado NOT A DOME. We need a QB with a MANS arm to deal with the wind and cold not a noodle arm. We won't win a SB with PM at QB...not only because of his woman arm but because of his ego. You know he will not take a backseat to a running game like Elway did.

Yeah you pretty much just outed yourself as not a Broncos fan. Nice try though.

BroncoBasil
05-26-2014, 08:41 AM
I also believe the one and ONLY reason Manning didn't announce his retirement in the 3rd Q of the SB like he should've done with that woman arm is because he's chasing stats. He's chasing favre not a SB Trophy. Why else would he come back? That arm is dead.

BroncoWave
05-26-2014, 08:43 AM
Yeah, the guy who just set NFL records for passing yards and passing TDs clearly has nothing left to offer. #expertanalysis

BroncoBasil
05-26-2014, 08:48 AM
I want to see what the BROCK has cooking. He's got a cannon and can actually move faster than an old church Lady like manning

Shazam!
05-26-2014, 09:13 AM
Without Peyton, the Broncos are NOTHING.

Wait until he's gone, we're going to go through a bad period.

I like how this was turned into a Peyton sucks thread. Classy.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-26-2014, 09:49 AM

Especially, since the article was about the defense

Shazam!
05-26-2014, 10:28 AM
The 99 Broncos are going to look like the AFC Pro Bowl squad compared to the upcoming team when Manning retires IMO. Just look at the 1-15 Colts without him. Lean times are coming when he goes, and every team Denver smacked around when we had Manning will be gunning for them. I am not looking forward to seeing his retirement.

Shazam!
05-26-2014, 10:33 AM
Back to topic-

Stats and whatnot aside, when the front 7 can get pressure they make the DBs look good, just like how a good QB can make marginal WRs look good.

In our SB years, they didn't have a great secondary, Robinson was creative with his blitz packages and found ways to get pressure on opposing QBs with a good DLine and LBs.

If Miller can return to form and Ware plays up to his level, barring injuries to them and our massive DTs, I believe this unit can be formidable.

Simple Jaded
05-26-2014, 10:51 AM
Hate to take it off topic again, but if "Elway arm fan" is expecting BROCK to have a cannon he's gonna be disappointed.

Ziggy
05-26-2014, 10:59 AM
Hate to take it off topic again, but if "Elway arm fan" is expecting BROCK to have a cannon he's gonna be disappointed.

Come on Jaded, you're smarter than that. #DONTFEEDTHETROLL

Shazam!
05-26-2014, 10:59 AM
John Elway TODAY can probably throw the ball harder than most active QBs.

He had historically one of the biggest arms in NFL History to the point that it was one of his biggest detriments.

We were all so fortunate to watch it for years.

spikerman
05-26-2014, 11:44 AM
I was at the playoff game against the Chargers. The wind was howling that day and Manning had no more problem throwing it than Phillip Rivers. Obviously though the only thing that really guarantees success is tremendous arm strength. Just ask Jeff George and Jamarcus Russell.

BroncoBasil
05-26-2014, 12:52 PM
Speaking of the defense, wouldn't a running game and a QB not chasing stats help them out quite a bit?

Shazam!
05-26-2014, 01:12 PM
If you were a fan, you wouldn't have referred to the Broncos as 'them'.

Go jerk off with sandpaper and gasoline.

BroncoWave
05-26-2014, 01:17 PM
If you were a fan, you wouldn't have referred to the Broncos as 'them'.

Go jerk off with sandpaper and gasoline.

I'm trying to figure out which banned Tebow fanboi he is.

TXBRONC
05-27-2014, 07:33 AM

I wouldn't say Denver is nothing without him but the Broncos are definitely a Super Bowl with him.

This Basil guy reminds of WTE.

TXBRONC
05-27-2014, 07:34 AM

#Bullgator

BroncoBasil
05-27-2014, 09:27 AM
Haha tebow fan? No! I just know how we won 2 SB's it wasn't with a qb chasing stats while running the defense into the ground, it was a balanced attack with a running game that made opposing defenses soil themselves

TXBRONC
05-27-2014, 09:57 AM
Haha tebow fan? No! I just know how we won 2 SB's it wasn't with a qb chasing stats while running the defense into the ground, it was a balanced attack with a running game that made opposing defenses soil themselves

Yeah it was Manning's fault that Dumervil wasn't re-signed, that Von Miller got caught cheating a unrine test and missed the first six games of the season and then last two because of acl injury, Wolfe injuring his spinal cord, Clady and Champ getting Lis Franc injuries, Moore's circulation injury, and Harris' acl injury. I'm convinced you're Tebowite or a troll in disguise because what you're saying dumb.

Shazam!
05-27-2014, 11:00 AM

I wouldn't say Denver is nothing without him but the Broncos are definitely a Super Bowl with him.

This Basil guy reminds of WTE.

9-7 at best without him, and I say in the first two seasons after he's gone, Denver won't finish 8-8.

CrazyHorse
05-27-2014, 03:12 PM
Basically short crossing routes don't beat physical secondarys as you seen in the SB and that's about all that arm has left.

When you're offensive line doesn't give enough time for deeper routes to develop that's all you have. Manning still was able to set the record for most completions in the Super Bowl.

TXBRONC
05-27-2014, 04:37 PM
9-7 at best without him, and I say in the first two seasons after he's gone, Denver won't finish 8-8.

We don't know what Denver's quarterback situation will look like after he's gone.

Shazam!
05-27-2014, 04:46 PM

We don't know what Denver's quarterback situation will look like after he's gone.

A sizeable leadership void will exist. Peyton sets the tone and the expectations of performance. Big changes are coming when he's gone. Unless they gotta go 1-15 and get a QB like Luck who is available, there are gonna be tough times.

All IMO of course and I do hope I'm wrong.

Canmore
05-27-2014, 04:53 PM
A sizeable leadership void will exist. Peyton sets the tone and the expectations of performance. Big changes are coming when he's gone. Unless they gotta go 1-15 and get a QB like Luck who is available, there are gonna be tough times.

All IMO of course and I do hope I'm wrong.

I hope you are wrong too, but history tells a different story.

Shazam!
05-27-2014, 05:26 PM
I expect back to sub .500 football without Peyton and it's unfortunately very realistic. It happens in cycles. No way Denver will lose a player like that without taking a few steps backwards.

Buff
05-27-2014, 05:46 PM

I think you guys are being extreme homers and overly defensive in regard to Manning.

It is becoming increasingly clear that Peyton relies on timing and gimmicks. He's still one of the GOAT - but his arm strength IS a problem. There are a ton of throws he can't make, but he's the greatest at preparing and putting himself in positions that don't expose his deficiencies.

TXBRONC
05-27-2014, 05:59 PM
I think you guys are being extreme homers and overly defensive in regard to Manning.

It is becoming increasingly clear that Peyton relies on timing and gimmicks. He's still one of the GOAT - but his arm strength IS a problem. There are a ton of throws he can't make, but he's the greatest at preparing and putting himself in positions that don't expose his deficiencies.

You should read the last several pages before you start telling people what they should and should not do.

Shazam!
05-27-2014, 06:19 PM
To Buff and all that disagree -

What was your prediction for the Broncos in 1999?

Slick
05-27-2014, 07:41 PM

Agreed. The Superbowl was a concrete example. The Seahawks had a perfect defensive gameplan for Manning's offense. In hindsight Denver might have been better off running to set up the pass instead of the other way around.

Buff
05-27-2014, 07:51 PM
To Buff and all that disagree -

What was your prediction for the Broncos in 1999?

To be clear - Manning is still our Offensive MVP and one of the GOAT. I'm not saying we'd be better off without Manning. But I am saying that Basil made a fairly legitimate point - Manning cannot beat anyone solely with athleticism or strength at this point in his career (as opposed to a Kaepernick or a Wilson style QB who have that X factor where they can beat you when the play breaks down), so if you take away his timing then he becomes ordinary in a hurry. He's still good enough to win 75% of the time - but he might not be good enough to consistently beat the best and most athletic teams in the NFL.

I feel like that's the elephant in the room after the Super Bowl... So it seemed silly that everyone was so dismissive of that POV.

Shazam!
05-27-2014, 08:45 PM
Again, please rewatch the SB. The OLine got devastated in the SB and Peyton was under pressure like we haven't seen all year.

Give Manning time he'll make the best D look bad. When hes afraid of getting killed, not really.

Buff
05-27-2014, 09:08 PM
Again, please rewatch the SB. The OLine got devastated in the SB and Peyton was under pressure like we haven't seen all year.

Give Manning time he'll make the best D look bad. When hes afraid of getting killed, not really.

But that's sort of the point. The best teams are going to bring elite pass rushes. We saw it in the Colts game, we saw SD do it effectively, and we saw Sea destroy us. We are only built to win one way under Manning. So when teams are able to take away our bread and butter we are rendered virtually useless.

And granted - he still succeeds the vast majority of the time. I love that Manning is our QB. I just think there are real doubts about whether he can ever win another SB given that there seems to be a defensive formula out there to beat him.

nevcraw
05-27-2014, 09:12 PM

3rd preseason without Tebow. time to let it go..

Shazam!
05-27-2014, 09:25 PM

But that's sort of the point. The best teams are going to bring elite pass rushes. We saw it in the Colts game, we saw SD do it effectively, and we saw Sea destroy us. We are only built to win one way under Manning. So when teams are able to take away our bread and butter we are rendered virtually useless.

And granted - he still succeeds the vast majority of the time. I love that Manning is our QB. I just think there are real doubts about whether he can ever win another SB given that there seems to be a defensive formula out there to beat him.

It means Denver can't be one dimensional and needs a running game and consistent pass rush.

Dzone
05-27-2014, 10:48 PM
lmao! That was good

MOtorboat
05-28-2014, 02:34 AM
And people are still bitching about the offense. I get it, it wasn't the right game to have problems. But the problems with the team in the grand scheme sure as hell weren't the offense.

Elway knows it. He's gone after fixing the defense.

Offense, and even the notion that Denver needs "balance" isn't a problem. The defense is.

MOtorboat
05-28-2014, 02:37 AM
Manning can make every throw he needs to.

TXBRONC
05-28-2014, 06:38 AM

No MO he can't that's why all those players got hurt and that's why Miller was suspended.

Shredforever
05-28-2014, 07:16 AM
The defensive additions are going to help drastically as long D Ware and Miller stay healthy and Ward starts out of the clubs haha.

Shazam!
05-28-2014, 07:18 AM
OLine needs to give him more time.

Buff
05-28-2014, 09:06 AM

That is not even close to reality. He is really limited, and has admitted as much dozens of times, but the offense is structured to where his deficiencies aren't exposed that often.

CoachChaz
05-28-2014, 09:21 AM
I think "he can make every throw he needs to" is more inspired by the fact that our current offensive scheme isnt designed around a ton of deep outs and go routes. What we have now takes his limitations into consideration and uses them to their best capacity. For God's sake, the noodle arm just broke a ton of passing records. Why are we suddenly so damn afraid of his "limitations"?

Buff
05-28-2014, 09:31 AM
I think "he can make every throw he needs to" is more inspired by the fact that our current offensive scheme isnt designed around a ton of deep outs and go routes. What we have now takes his limitations into consideration and uses them to their best capacity. For God's sake, the noodle arm just broke a ton of passing records. Why are we suddenly so damn afraid of his "limitations"?

Because we got destroyed in the Super Bowl and our entire offense was rendered completely helpless. Granted - it certainly isn't all on him. I am a HUGE Manning fan - I just chimed in because I thought it was silly how people were scoffing at the new guy because he suggested Manning's arm strength could be a problem. He likely overstated the problem - but it's still a limitation.

CoachChaz
05-28-2014, 09:37 AM
Because we got destroyed in the Super Bowl and our entire offense was rendered completely helpless. Granted - it certainly isn't all on him. I am a HUGE Manning fan - I just chimed in because I thought it was silly how people were scoffing at the new guy because he suggested Manning's arm strength could be a problem. He likely overstated the problem - but it's still a limitation.

It's definitley a limitation...but one that he and the offense has learned to work around. I have a hard time letting one game determine the success or failure of a player or a team for that matter.

SWotRR
05-28-2014, 10:14 AM
Not sure if this http://www.milehighreport.com/2014/5/18/5729304/denver-broncos-three-down-mlb-on-the-roster was posted before.