PDA

View Full Version : What I would like to see.

TXBRONC
09-15-2009, 09:35 AM
Something I hope we get to see in nearby future is the defense getting turnovers on the plus side of the field. With struggles that we had on offense last week it could be a big boost for our offense if the defense could shorten the field for them and thereby giving them a greater opportunity to come away with points.

broncohead
09-15-2009, 09:41 AM
During the preseason we ran a lot of motion and play action from the shotgun which set up the screen plays. We didn't see a lot of that which worked well imo during the pre season. I'd like to see more of that.

broncofaninfla
09-15-2009, 09:45 AM
I want to see us return to the zone blocking scheme in our running game.

TXBRONC
09-15-2009, 09:45 AM
During the preseason we ran a lot of motion and play action from the shotgun which set up the screen plays. We didn't see a lot of that which worked well imo during the pre season. I'd like to see more of that.

I agree we could use a few more screen plays.

TXBRONC
09-15-2009, 09:46 AM

I think our running game would be better if we did.

nevcraw
09-15-2009, 10:02 AM
I'd like us to run it on 3rd and 2.
I'd like us to run up the gut too - with Hillis..

NameUsedBefore
09-15-2009, 10:06 AM

This. Don't change what teams haven't been able to crack for over a decade now.

TXBRONC
09-15-2009, 10:07 AM
I'd like us to run it on 3rd and 2.
I'd like us to run up the gut too - with Hillis..

I haven't looked at the rushing stats real close I don't recall Hillis getting any carries on Sunday.

broncofaninfla
09-15-2009, 10:12 AM
I haven't looked at the rushing stats real close I don't recall Hillis getting any carries on Sunday.

I think he had one, the play didn't have a chance to start with. I'm suprsied he wasn't given more chances to makes plays. Hardly got to touch the ball.

TXBRONC
09-15-2009, 10:16 AM
I think he had one, the play didn't have a chance to start with. I'm suprsied he wasn't given more chances to makes plays. Hardly got to touch the ball.

I think it would have helped the offense he had gotten more carries.

OldschoolFreak
09-15-2009, 11:32 AM
Commit to actually establishing the run. In addition to grinding teams down at the end, it will add to the effectiveness of the passing game.

God I miss the dejected look on opposing teams' faces in the 3rd and 4th quarter as TD, Portis, or even Mike Anderson gritted out another back breaking, seven yard run on 2nd and 2. An effective late game running attack kills teams' souls.

DenBronx
09-15-2009, 11:35 AM
I'd like to see our WR's catch the football.

TXBRONC
09-15-2009, 11:39 AM
I'd like to see our WR's catch the football.

I think with some time it will get better.

outdoor_miner
09-15-2009, 11:49 AM
Something I hope we get to see in nearby future is the defense getting turnovers on the plus side of the field. With struggles that we had on offense last week it could be a big boost for our offense if the defense could shorten the field for them and thereby giving them a greater opportunity to come away with points.

I agree with this. Our offense was backed up almost all day, and they just weren't in enough of a groove to drive the entire length of the field.

Another way to accomplish this would be through some nice Special Teams plays. Our coverage units were spectacular, but the return units really did nothing. It started with the kickoff (bobbled by multiple players), and kind of continued right through the end of the game (Royal falling down). I'd really like to see us get some nice returns. Don't have to take it to the house, but starting at the 50 yard line is such an advantage for an offense (especially one that hasn't found its rhythm yet).

TXBRONC
09-15-2009, 11:55 AM
I agree with this. Our offense was backed up almost all day, and they just weren't in enough of a groove to drive the entire length of the field.

Another way to accomplish this would be through some nice Special Teams plays. Our coverage units were spectacular, but the return units really did nothing. It started with the kickoff (bobbled by multiple players), and kind of continued right through the end of the game (Royal falling down). I'd really like to see us get some nice returns. Don't have to take it to the house, but starting at the 50 yard line is such an advantage for an offense (especially one that hasn't found its rhythm yet).

Excellent point. The coverage units did a solid job but our return units need to step up.

Our coverage units will get real good test this week against the Browns. I hope they are very disciplined in their coverage against Cribbs.

Grover
09-15-2009, 11:58 AM
Kuper was out injured, and Hockstein had an okaaaaaaay game as his replacement. Hamilton and Wiegman struggled a bit. That's why our running game wasn't as strong as it usually is. Cincy's defensive line is big and manhandled us a bit more than I thought they might.

We are using a combination of zone blocking and man blocking. I think that will continue, and I also think the line will get better at both, as the season progresses. That just makes sense they would.

With the exception of Buckhalter, we didn't really see any of our backs do the one cut and accelerate move that we're used to seeing. So it didn't really look like a Broncos running game. Moreno spent too much time running parallel to the line of scrimmage, Hillis only had one carry and Jordan looked old and slow just like always.

Expect Moreno to get better with coaching and experience, if he didn't hurt himself again getting slammed by Rey Maaluga, and Hillis will get more carries, especially if/when Larsen comes back healthy. Larsen is key to Hillis getting more carries as Larsen can be used in the FB role, leaving Hillis to take on HB duties. (Thanks go to an article at milehighreport.com for that insight)

What I'd like to see is Orton having better performance in games, looking more comfortable in the pocket, and making faster decisions. I kinda want Hillis returning kickoffs too.

Dean
09-15-2009, 08:58 PM

Amen! Even with our sixth string running back last year we ran the ball better than we have this year.

Dean
09-15-2009, 09:02 PM

Regrettably, based upon preseason, he won't touch the ball very often.

Dean
09-15-2009, 09:04 PM

The whole first half we seemed to be in 3 and outs. We were in a groove- it was just the wrong groove.:D

honz
09-15-2009, 09:09 PM
I think our O is better than it showed on Sunday. Drops and penalties killed many a drive for us. Hell, even Stokely dropped a pass that would have given us an easy 1st down...instead we were just out of FG range and had to punt.