View Full Version : Russell gets 7 months in jail for DUI

tomjonesrocks
05-23-2014, 02:18 PM
Per PFT on Twitter...

#takeALimoNextTime

G_Money
05-23-2014, 02:26 PM
After looking it up...

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/05/23/broncos-executive-gets-7-months-in-jail-for-dui-crash/

The Denver Broncos executive accused of crashing into two cars while drunk in Summit County appeared in court Friday morning.

Matt Russell, the team’s Director of Player Personnel, was convicted of DUI after he ran into the back of a police cruiser in Summit County over the 4th of July holiday in 2013.

Hawgdriver
05-23-2014, 02:27 PM
whoa.

Pudge
05-23-2014, 02:33 PM
His lawyer must have sucked

BroncoNut
05-23-2014, 02:35 PM
no kidding Pudge.

tomjonesrocks
05-23-2014, 02:36 PM
I am really not the advocate for overly severe punishments for routine DUIs -- but here's a guy presumably with money to burn who actually crashed into stuff.

I guess for something that stupid 7 months in the slam is what it is. Unlike most of us, he'll likely keep his job after this.

There's just no reason he couldn't have afforded alternate transportation.

spikerman
05-23-2014, 03:10 PM
Remember all of the warm, fuzzy feelings from earlier in the offseason? Yeah, I miss that.

tomjonesrocks
05-23-2014, 04:01 PM
Remember all of the warm, fuzzy feelings from earlier in the offseason? Yeah, I miss that.

...permeated by a lingering black cloud/backdrop of Super Bowl humiliation?

Dzone
05-23-2014, 06:10 PM
Damn, was this his first DUI? Im guessing he had prior DUIs, but maybe not. Maybe running into 2 cars and blowing .246 gets you thrown in jail for 7 months. That sucks for the team, but am all for throwing the book at drunk drivers

spikerman
05-23-2014, 07:18 PM
...permeated by a lingering black cloud/backdrop of Super Bowl humiliation?

I have chosen to forget about that.

TXBRONC
05-23-2014, 11:25 PM

I'm still excited about the season.

Tned
05-24-2014, 12:09 AM

I'm guessing the fact that he put a cop in a hospital and according to the article that the cop is still requiring physical therapy (the article said the officer wasn't in court, because he was in physical therapy -- which I'm sure was meant sway the judge for a harsher sentence, since surely he could have rescheduled therapy).

Two other points in the article I found interesting;

1. The state of our world that the paper, in order to protect themselves legally, said. "Broncos executive accused of..." They are reporting on his sentencing, after he is convicted, and still feel they have to use accused, allegedly and similar legally defensive language.

2. That Russel will be allowed to leave jail, during his sentence, to work. "Russell also received two years of probation. During his seven-month jail sentence he will get work release from the Arapahoe County jail, which is close to the Broncos’ practice facility at Dove Valley."

tomjonesrocks
05-24-2014, 03:27 AM
I'm guessing the fact that he put a cop in a hospital and according to the article that the cop is still requiring physical therapy (the article said the officer wasn't in court, because he was in physical therapy -- which I'm sure was meant sway the judge for a harsher sentence, since surely he could have rescheduled therapy). Two other points in the article I found interesting; 1. The state of our world that the paper, in order to protect themselves legally, said. "Broncos executive accused of..." They are reporting on his sentencing, after he is convicted, and still feel they have to use accused, allegedly and similar legally defensive language. 2. That Russel will be allowed to leave jail, during his sentence, to work. "Russell also received two years of probation. During his seven-month jail sentence he will get work release from the Arapahoe County jail, which is close to the Broncos’ practice facility at Dove Valley."

If that's right Russell got lucky. And I'm one who thinks most DUI punishments have a little out of hand.

Cugel
05-24-2014, 08:59 AM

Actually, his lawyer did a really good job. He gets work release and will be eligible for release about 1/2 way through his sentence. He spends the nights in jail and submits to anti-alcohol monitoring, but he goes to work for the Broncos during the day.

This idiot was celebrating his 40th birthday and got totally hammered -- .25 is over three times the legal limit, it's amazing he was even conscious at that level, and hit two cars finishing up by ramming into the rear end of a Breckinridge police car at 40 mph and injuring a police officer, who suffered neck trauma and had to go to the emergency room.

He's lucky he didn't get just get thrown in the slammer for six months. This wasn't just a guy pulled over for weaving in traffic and found to be drunk. He caused some serious havoc.

Hawgdriver
05-24-2014, 11:41 PM
1. The state of our world that the paper, in order to protect themselves legally, said. "Broncos executive accused of..." They are reporting on his sentencing, after he is convicted, and still feel they have to use accused, allegedly and similar legally defensive language.

I wonder if that's just laziness and habit.

OB
05-24-2014, 11:43 PM
A good lawyer knows the law. A great lawyer knows the judge.

OB
05-24-2014, 11:47 PM
Damn, was this his first DUI? Im guessing he had prior DUIs, but maybe not. Maybe running into 2 cars and blowing .246 gets you thrown in jail for 7 months. That sucks for the team, but am all for throwing the book at drunk drivers

.246 is 3 times the legal limit. 7 months is far from throwing the book at him. If this were you or me it's would be an easy 18 months or kore if it were a second offense. Neither of us would have a job to go back to either.

I'm guessing the fact that he put a cop in a hospital and according to the article that the cop is still requiring physical therapy (the article said the officer wasn't in court, because he was in physical therapy -- which I'm sure was meant sway the judge for a harsher sentence, since surely he could have rescheduled therapy).

Two other points in the article I found interesting;

2. That Russel will be allowed to leave jail, during his sentence, to work. "Russell also received two years of probation. During his seven-month jail sentence he will get work release from the Arapahoe County jail, which is close to the Broncos’ practice facility at Dove Valley."

Money talks. BS walks.

Pudge
05-24-2014, 11:52 PM
Actually, his lawyer did a really good job. He gets work release and will be eligible for release about 1/2 way through his sentence. He spends the nights in jail and submits to anti-alcohol monitoring, but he goes to work for the Broncos during the day.

This idiot was celebrating his 40th birthday and got totally hammered -- .25 is over three times the legal limit, it's amazing he was even conscious at that level, and hit two cars finishing up by ramming into the rear end of a Breckinridge police car at 40 mph and injuring a police officer, who suffered neck trauma and had to go to the emergency room.

He's lucky he didn't get just get thrown in the slammer for six months. This wasn't just a guy pulled over for weaving in traffic and found to be drunk. He caused some serious havoc.

I guess I could have read the article, I just assumed it was seven months straight in jail. Which is steep compared to people I know who have gotten duis