PDA

View Full Version : Player Preview- Juwan Thompson

Ziggy
05-22-2014, 01:46 PM
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Greg+Blair+Belk+Bowl+Cincinnati+v+Duke+zaLCkx_KgL_ l.jpg

RB Juwan Thompson- 5'11 225

When the Broncos brought in running back Juwan Thompson as an undrafted free agent, they brought in the swiss army knife of the Duke Bluedevils football team last season. Thompson played running back. He was the special teams captain, playing on all 4 units. He played gunner, returned kickoffs, and when injuries hit the defense, he started playing some linebacker to boot. Thompson ran a respectable 4.57 40 at his pro day. He's the biggest back listed on the Broncos roster. He doesn't play with breakaway speed, but he does make defenders earn every tackle. He relies more on the juke and spin moves then he does speed. He has very good hands out of the backfield, and he picks up the blitz well.

Thompson projects more as a 3rd down back, special teamer in the NFL. The Broncos put a premium on players that can provide depth and contribute on special teams. With Woodyard gone, there just happens to be a spot available. The Broncos special teams coverage units were pitiful last season. They need to be upgraded. Can he make it on to this roster as an undrafted free agent who excels at special teams? Wesley Woodyard, Steven Johnson, and Rod Smith would say yes.

Here's some highlights:

watch?v=mup0L6eRBmE

watch?v=OX2JtmySiQE

Ravage!!!
05-22-2014, 02:05 PM
This kid sounds like a real athlete, someone the Bluedevils asked to do whatever they needed done. I like that kind of athlete.

G_Money
05-22-2014, 04:47 PM
He's also intimately familiar with Cutcliffe's offense, which Manning can use to help him learn the Broncos offense (since Manning knows both). And he's a smart kid.

I like Thompson's chances, I really do. If he can make some special teams plays and hold onto the rock, maybe pick up a blitz or two, we may have to find a roster spot for him.

~G

Simple Jaded
05-22-2014, 10:35 PM
Would not surprise me at all if this dude makes the 53 over Bibbs.

G_Money
05-23-2014, 01:00 PM
I really like Bibbs, but if he can't pick up the protections quickly enough he might wind up on the PS for extra learning time while Juwan is the backup-backup-backup-RB and special teams guru.

NightTerror218
05-24-2014, 12:23 PM
I think Thompson will snag Anderson's spot since he can play STs. Bibbs may get Hillman's spot if he flops or will get PS.

Thompson is coming in as one of the few RBs that knows how to pass protect due to his offense at Duke. This could help earn him a roster spot.

Dapper Dan
05-24-2014, 02:29 PM
Didn't we bring in the Pistol to help the RBs? It looks like this guy does well in Shotgun.