PDA

View Full Version : Legwold piece on Roby from ESPN

G_Money
05-20-2014, 03:56 PM
Lots of great quotes in here (http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/6771/roby-gets-clean-slate-has-to-earn-the-rest), especially from Harris:

“He’s going to have to learn fast. He’s going to have pump up that learning speed," said cornerback Chris Harris Jr. “He’s going to have to be quick if he wants to compete with us. Like Kayvon [Webster] last year, he got thrown in pretty fast as a rookie and he learned it. If you don’t, you won’t play; they won’t care who you are."

...The Broncos would like Roby, with his 4.3 speed in the 40-yard dash and coverage skills that led several scouts and personnel executives to put him at the top of this year’s cornerback class, to be in the mix in their specialty packages. Given that they spend over 70 percent of their snaps in nickel and dime packages, as well as a seven-defensive back look from time to time, that is no small item on the agenda.

“A lot of young guys, they come in and they expect like everything to be given to them, like ‘I got drafted. I’m the man.’ They’ve got to realize they have to get to work," Harris said. “That’s something I sort of let people know. [Roby] is like all of us. He has to get to work. You’ve got guys who’ve been here, been in this league, and want to accomplish some things."

Harris is great. :salute: Man I hope that guy is 100% back from that partial ACL tear and ready to work.

~G

Slick
05-20-2014, 04:49 PM
I thought I read somewhere that Roby is a smart kid. Did really well on the Wonderlic.

TXBRONC
05-21-2014, 08:36 AM
Harris will be good influence on Roby. Harris knows better than anyone else on the defense that where you were drafted doesn't mean diddly squat for playing time.

Northman
05-21-2014, 08:45 AM
I guess im missing something, is Roby creating issues already by expecting to start? Why would Harris make the comments at this point? Is there something more to the story?

G_Money
05-21-2014, 10:19 AM
No, but the way the reporters are framing the questions is bothering Harris, I'm sure. "Roby is a #1 pick and you're an undrafted - are you worried about losing your starting job?" kinda stuff. "Can he start right away?" when talking to the guy he'd be taking the starting job from. They're asking Harris about how likely the kid is to get in there and contribute right away considering his pedigree and Harris is letting him know that he can pry the job from Chris's cold, dead fingers.

I consider that healthy competition. Learn fast or ride the pine, because the corners who are already here aren't gonna just piss themselves and genuflect because somebody spent a high pick on you. Harris has been making higher-rated draftees sit in the unemployment line for a couple years now. One of the reasons for Roby's slight draft day slide was a possibly questionable work ethic, because he could do everything without trying all that hard. He got worse from his sophomore to junior years. Harris only gets better.

I think Roby is an intelligent guy with all-world talent, but Harris is gonna make him sweat for every rep he gets - and that's the way it should be. Our secondary will be amazing if Roby can take the job from Harris (and Chris is healthy). If Roby is only a part-time contributor but we win a Super Bowl, then so be it. Team goals above individual ones.

I never mind vets setting that tone early. If that makes Harris and Roby into frenemies who push each other to greatness, I'm good with that.

~G

BroncoJoe
05-21-2014, 11:45 AM
I never mind vets setting that tone early. If that makes Harris and Roby into frenemies who push each other to greatness, I'm good with that.

~G

At every position, not just DB.

Ziggy
05-21-2014, 01:11 PM
I thought I read somewhere that Roby is a smart kid. Did really well on the Wonderlic.

He scored a 25. 20 is considered an average score.