PDA

View Full Version : Tablets vs laptops

OB
05-20-2014, 11:59 AM
I know we have some pretty techy guys on this site - can anyone give me a heads up on getting a tablet vs a laptop for my son when he starts college in the fall

He will only be going part time as he has a full time job but he needs something

He wants a tablet but I have always been a fan of laptops because of the document programs, typing etc.

He was looking at the Microsoft Surface Pro - Does anyone have experience with this tablet?

Any suggestions would help

TIA

wcben
05-20-2014, 12:11 PM
Approximately what are you looking to spend?

A PC with webroot will be just as bullet proof as a MAC that is 3X the cost..

While the surface pro has full windows 8.1, from experience writing a 10+ page paper while doing research is best done on a computer with a proper keyboard but that's just me.

Ravage!!!
05-20-2014, 12:14 PM
for college and taking notes, get something with a GOOD keyboard. Tablets are terrible for typing out long sets of notes or papers on. There are some tablets now that have keyboards that you can clip a keyboard onto..but test those out typing for a while.

Also..the laptop will generally have a dvd drive..and...usb ports that will be HUGE need, as opposed to many tablets that do NOT have USB ports. Also, a laptop will ahve the ability to plug in a cat-5 cable..or...cable directly to the modem for faster internet connection when he has the ability to plug in (instead of always using wi-fi). The laptop can of course go wi-fi as well.

Personally... for college work, papers, and taking notes, I absolutely would recommend a laptop. For my lifestyle, the tablets are much more handy.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-20-2014, 01:03 PM
for college and taking notes, get something with a GOOD keyboard. Tablets are terrible for typing out long sets of notes or papers on. There are some tablets now that have keyboards that you can clip a keyboard onto..but test those out typing for a while.

Also..the laptop will generally have a dvd drive..and...usb ports that will be HUGE need, as opposed to many tablets that do NOT have USB ports. Also, a laptop will ahve the ability to plug in a cat-5 cable..or...cable directly to the modem for faster internet connection when he has the ability to plug in (instead of always using wi-fi). The laptop can of course go wi-fi as well.

Personally... for college work, papers, and taking notes, I absolutely would recommend a laptop. For my lifestyle, the tablets are much more handy.

I'd go with a laptop too.

BroncoJoe
05-20-2014, 01:19 PM
We just got my daughter the Sony Vaio Flip. Best of both worlds, but a bit pricey.

The screen locks in place while using it as a laptop, the top folds in half and flips down over the keyboard for use as a tablet. I liked this one the best, because the others folded to the back of the unit, leaving the keyboard exposed.

http://www1.pcmag.com/media/images/403688-sony-vaio-flip-15.jpg?thumb=y

It has USB ports and is Ethernet or wireless. It does not have a built in DVD/CD, but I have a portable one if she ever needs it. We got the 8Gb of RAM and a 500Gb hard drive.

Shazam!
05-20-2014, 02:01 PM
I'd get a dedicated notebook OR touchscreen hybrid, not just a tablet.

Touchscreen Win8 notebook sounds right.

BroncoJoe
05-20-2014, 02:18 PM
Getting a tablet only would be a mistake, IMO.

Valar Morghulis
05-20-2014, 03:32 PM
i am on a touch screen win8 notebook - bigger than a tablet, smaller than a laptop but does the same as both

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-20-2014, 04:34 PM
i am on a touch screen win8 notebook - bigger than a tablet, smaller than a laptop but does the same as both

For college....or the job I have, I have to have a real keyboard and something with a lot of memory. I can't type fast enough on a touch screen.

Slick
05-20-2014, 04:43 PM
I would get a tablet with a removeable SD card, like my Samsung Note and buy one of those little Asus mini towers and call it a day. My laptop just sits connected to my TV as a media device at this point.

Valar Morghulis
05-20-2014, 04:44 PM
The one I have is cheap as fuk , so the memory is crap. But the keyboard is sound.

A mid priced 11/13 inch netbook will suffice for most people needs, be it work or play - probably not for gaming though.

Ravage!!!
05-20-2014, 04:46 PM
For college....or the job I have, I have to have a real keyboard and something with a lot of memory. I can't type fast enough on a touch screen.

That's the main thing I was thinking about. Typing on a touchscreen isn't very good...and terrible if typing a lot.

Slick
05-20-2014, 04:53 PM
If she gets him a Note he can write with the pen taking notes in class and doesn't have to type.

Laptops are way heavier and suck the batteries down much faster too.

Unless he plans on sitting under a tree in the park banging out papers, I would get a desktop or mini tower with a real keyboard for his apartment or dorm and use the tablet around campus.

Davii
05-20-2014, 05:17 PM
You could always go with one of the convertibles like Joe put up there. It's the best of both worlds as he can use it like a laptop with stylus and touch screen or use it as a full laptop. The surface is pretty good but that cover/keyboard is a better cover than keyboard. It's better than using the tablet to type but writing papers, etc, it will fall short.

Ravage!!!
05-20-2014, 05:19 PM
If she gets him a Note he can write with the pen taking notes in class and doesn't have to type.

Laptops are way heavier and suck the batteries down much faster too.

Unless he plans on sitting under a tree in the park banging out papers, I would get a desktop or mini tower with a real keyboard for his apartment or dorm and use the tablet around campus.

That's what I would do for MY life as well.... but when everyone is 'typing out their notes at 80 words per minute".. how fast can he write? It seems that EVERYONE in college classes are typing now days while the professor talks.

I prefer the desktops at home to type on as well, however, he's in college. THey go to coffee shops, go hang out at other dorm rooms or apartments, and study groups to do their homework together. Homework, studying, and papers tend to be a group activity on a lot of cases.

Ravage!!!
05-20-2014, 05:41 PM
We just got my daughter the Sony Vaio Flip. Best of both worlds, but a bit pricey.

The screen locks in place while using it as a laptop, the top folds in half and flips down over the keyboard for use as a tablet. I liked this one the best, because the others folded to the back of the unit, leaving the keyboard exposed.

It has USB ports and is Ethernet or wireless. It does not have a built in DVD/CD, but I have a portable one if she ever needs it. We got the 8Gb of RAM and a 500Gb hard drive.

This does look really cool. I'm not much of a fan of windows 8, but this looks to be a pretty nicely designed unit.

Shazam!
05-20-2014, 06:25 PM
You can get a pretty impressive W8 touch bundle for less than $400 at Best Buy.

FanInAZ
05-20-2014, 07:36 PM

I'm 6'3", & have hands that are proportionate to someone my size. Therefore, all of the keyboards that come with tablets are just too small for me. I've considered getting a regular blue tooth keyboard & see if I can get it to work with my Galaxy Tab 2, but I've had little success getting any blue tooth devices to work. So if I have my table, I'll never type anything that's more than maybe a couple of sentences. If I need to write more, I wait until I get to my laptop or make sure I have it if its likely that I'll be writing anything of such length, such as this response.

BroncoJoe
05-21-2014, 08:02 AM
I'm 6'3", & have hands that are proportionate to someone my size. Therefore, all of the keyboards that come with tablets are just too small for me. I've considered getting a regular blue tooth keyboard & see if I can get it to work with my Galaxy Tab 2, but I've had little success getting any blue tooth devices to work. So if I have my table, I'll never type anything that's more than maybe a couple of sentences. If I need to write more, I wait until I get to my laptop or make sure I have it if its likely that I'll be writing anything of such length, such as this response.

The keyboard on this unit is that of a laptop. It really is a laptop first, with tablet capabilities second.

GEM
05-21-2014, 09:39 AM
I love my tablet for work, but am definitely in the market for a keyboard to go with it. The touch screen keyboard is great for posting here and facebook, but it's a pain in the arse for actually working on word or excel docs. I do have a office suite on my tablet that has been great and the memory is great, but the long docs on touchscreen keyboard is really my only downfall.

OB
05-21-2014, 09:44 AM
Hows your daughter feeling GEM?

Dapper Dan
05-21-2014, 10:42 AM
Tablets can be handy, but you really need a PC/laptop. You can get docs programs for tablets. I only use them when I'm away from home and doing homework. I usually save it to my Google Drive and then review or finish on my laptop before submitting. I also bought a keyboard for my tablet.

There are too many things that can go wrong. I think if it's one or the other, he needs a laptop.

GEM
05-21-2014, 02:56 PM
Hows your daughter feeling GEM?

Much better, thank goodness!!
Thank you for checking in on her, I appreciate that! :)

OB
05-21-2014, 08:34 PM
Glad to hear that. To me there's nothing worse than a stomach ailment.

Ravage!!!
05-22-2014, 09:55 AM
Glad to hear that. To me there's nothing worse than a stomach ailment.

Flesh eating bacteria?

OB
05-22-2014, 05:49 PM
Flesh eating bacteria?

As long as it doesn't make me throw up

aberdien
05-24-2014, 01:27 AM
I have had this since September and it's the perfect college laptop IMO.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-XE303C12-A01US-Chromebook-Wi-Fi-11-6-Inch/dp/B009LL9VDG

Cheap, low maintenance, lightweight, does everything a college student needs to do. That said, I have low standards when it comes to technological stuff because i'm just in it for the basics. Gimme a laptop that allows me to use the internet/netflix/youtube and write papers, and give me a phone that allows me to text message, call, and use twitter.

Jsteve01
05-25-2014, 02:09 AM
I would go with one of the Asus transformers. 32 or 64 gig SSD drive on the tablet portion and 500 gigs on the dock (keyboard). I used to work in electronics and prefer the detachqble devices because you don't want to be out everything if your keyboard goes out and u have to send it in for repair. asus were the first to market with atrue convertible as well

Ravage!!!
05-25-2014, 11:09 AM
I would go with one of the Asus transformers. 32 or 64 gig SSD drive on the tablet portion and 500 gigs on the dock (keyboard). I used to work in electronics and prefer the detachqble devices because you don't want to be out everything if your keyboard goes out and u have to send it in for repair. asus were the first to market with atrue convertible as well

Yeah..but the reviews on tht are just .....meh. The keyboards don't always work, the brightness of the screen is poor, and its a tiny 10.5" screen (ok for pad, but really small for a laptop).