PDA

View Full Version : Root Your Android!!

Shazam!
05-15-2014, 09:53 AM
Follow these steps to Root your Device and gain Admin privileges! The whole process should take about an Hour.

NOTE: This procedure should not damage your device as you are not flashing the OS, however, I am not responsible for damaging your device. I have used this method many times on my devices and other people's devices with no issues. It is a safe method for gaining Root Access.

1- Download Kingo Android One Click Root on your computer. DO NOT install other programs or toolbars that it may ask for.

2- Download drivers for your device into your computer. This should be easy if it is a Samsung, LG, ZTE, HTC, Motorola, etc.

3- Enable USB Debugging and 'Allow Installation of Non-Market Sources' on your device. This should be in the Developer Options menu in the settings or elsewhere in settings.

4- Hook up your device to your computer. Wait for the files and drivers to install on the computer. Open Kingo Root. Your device should be recognized. If not, refer to steps 2 and 3.

5- Click Root, and file installation should begin.

6- When completed, it should say "Congratulations, you have Root Access!' and the phone should restart. If it failed, refer to steps 3, 4, and 5.

7- You should see the Superuser SuperSU App. There should also be an app that looks like a P in another language, Japanese or Chinese. Delete that App.

8- Open Super SU. Go to Settings. Make sure Superuser is enabled and Default Access is set to Grant.

Download and install the following apps in Android Market. There are many more Root apps available, but this is where to start. And most are free:

- CPU Overclock OR SetCPU $1.99 (Set CPU is better for battery saving).
SetCPU is much deeper and there is a YouTube tutorial to maximize your CPU AND save battery life.

- Root App Delete: Go to System Apps, Junior, and Disable all Bloatware or unnecessary Apps. I would get a complete bloat list from the internet on stuff you can disable first.
I'd always disable rather than remove, you don't want to accidentally delete a vital core app. Instead, you can easily turn it back on.

- 2x Battery: Cuts off your Data and Wifi in 15 minute intervals when phone is off and in standby and helps save battery.

- Root Battery Saver

- Root Ram Optimizer

- Faster GPS: Faster GPS connections

- Games to SD / GL to SD: Force moves games and unmovable apps to your SD Card.

I would also install Easy Task Killer Advanced - Set to Filter: Low Security, Auto-optimize on, optimize every 5 minutes. Open up the Task List, long click SuperSU and any other Root Apps and set them to Ignore.

There is a TON of other Root Apps that can be downloaded to help maximize your phone, I would research them first.

ENJOY YOUR NEW ANDROID FREEDOM!

Any questions ask me, good luck and enjoy!

(Edited for grammar)

chazoe60
05-15-2014, 09:58 AM
What is the purpose of doing this? I don't know what it means to "root" something.

BroncoJoe
05-15-2014, 10:00 AM
If I understand right, once your phone is rooted, you no longer get the updates for the installed OS. Is that a potential problem? Are Android updates available for a rooted phone? Also, is it possible to reinstall the system to it's original condition? I know some providers give you credit for upgrading your current device, but I don't think they'll take one that rooted.

Thanks for posting. I've done it before, but that was two phones ago. I'm thinking of rooting my SIII. My daughter uses the Samsung Nexus Galaxy and the battery life on that phone sucks balls. Both are Verizon.

Shazam!
05-15-2014, 10:03 AM
You can always Unroot your device, there is an app for that in the Play Store.

I don't want those updates either. Many of them are not beneficial anyway.

They won't know the device is rooted anyway I don't think, just factory reset the device before you trade up.

If installing an update unroots your device, I'd just root it again anyway lol

Shazam!
05-15-2014, 10:05 AM
What is the purpose of doing this? I don't know what it means to "root" something.

See Thread below.

OrangeHoof
05-15-2014, 10:20 AM
The phones are programmed for *one* carrier, the one you probably pay for access to the network and comes with several programs/bloatware that this carrier pays or gets paid to put on all their phones. By rooting, you can assign the phone to any local carrier and remove a lot of the trash that boots up every time you power on your phone.

People who don't know what they are doing, probably shouldn't do this.

For saving battery, I have a small app called "APN Switch" which turns on/off my 4G. My plan gives me essentially free phone use on WiFi (other than calls which are not part of 4G anyway), so I turn on my 4G only when I need data and I'm not on a WiFi somewhere. My battery life improves dramatically when the 4G is turned off.

The app, by the way, does what your phone can already do but it is normally several menu steps to find it and turn it on/off. This app allows you to put it right up front and is great to keep off except when I need it.

Shazam!
05-15-2014, 10:32 AM
I use Boost Mobile, Sprint's prepaid unlimited, so I'm not sure of carrier specs, but it shouldn't be an issue.

BroncoWave
05-15-2014, 07:47 PM
Not working. I downloaded the drivers, put my phone on the correct settings, and it keeps saying "root failed".

Shazam!
05-15-2014, 09:11 PM
What kind of phone and version of Android ?

Shazam!
05-15-2014, 09:34 PM
Also, go on the Kingo site and see if your phone is on the compatibility list.

BroncoWave
05-16-2014, 06:34 AM
I checked, doesn't look like it's compatible. I've run into that problem with the other one-click root programs I've tried. Kinda sucks. I have an HTC Incredible 4G LTE.

Shazam!
05-16-2014, 06:51 AM
Sorry about that.

Usually if one isn't compatible there's another of similar build that is like a clone that would work with it.

Shazam!
05-16-2014, 06:57 AM
Have you tried it again?

BroncoWave
05-16-2014, 07:41 AM
I tried it multiple times with the one you provided and I have tried at leas 3-4 other programs. Still haven't been able to get it to work.

Shazam!
05-16-2014, 08:20 AM
I tried it multiple times with the one you provided and I have tried at leas 3-4 other programs. Still haven't been able to get it to work.

http://www.oneclickroot.com/phone/htc-droid-incredible-4g-lte/

BroncoWave
05-16-2014, 08:22 AM
http://www.oneclickroot.com/phone/htc-droid-incredible-4g-lte/

Already tried that one. You have to chat with someone who will supposedly do it remotely, but that went nowhere. He asked me something about the bootloader on my phone and I told him I didn't know and he really wasn't any help in telling me how to get it on the right setting.

OrangeHoof
05-16-2014, 12:51 PM

As I was saying...

Shazam!
05-16-2014, 05:19 PM

As I was saying...

I am by no means an expert at this, but Rooting my devices was easy using this method. The difference was enormous and noticeable immediately. Everyone should do it, or at least try.

Rooting my new phone was the first thing I did right out of the box before I even hooked it up! If I couldn't Root it, I was going to return it.

BroncoWave
05-16-2014, 09:12 PM
As I was saying...

It's not like I'm technologically illiterate. I jailbroke my iPhone easily and I loved it. It just seems like all the programs I am using for Android aren't compatible with my phone.

Shazam!
05-16-2014, 09:45 PM
You're probably due for a new device soon anyway, try rooting it before you do anything to it.

BroncoWave
05-16-2014, 09:46 PM
I am. I've had this one for almost a year and a half. Definitely time to upgrade soon.

Shazam!
05-16-2014, 09:59 PM
You can check your new device against what's on the list.