PDA

View Full Version : Cody Latimer, Broncos' second-round pick, recovering from broken foot

Denver Native (Carol)
05-14-2014, 12:53 PM
It might be difficult for Broncos second-round draft pick Cody Latimer to get off to a fast rookie start in 2014.

The former Indiana University receiver will be limited until training camp as he recovers from a fractured fifth metatarsal in his foot.

Latimer had surgery to repair the break on Jan. 19 and missed all but the bench press at the NFL scouting combine in late-February. However, at Indiana's Pro Day on March 26, Latimer was timed at 4.39 and 4.43 in the 40-yard dash. Latimer also had an impressive 39-inch vertical jump during his pro day workout.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25760215/broncos-draft-pick-cody-latimer-recovering-from-broken-foot

Dzone
05-14-2014, 01:05 PM
Well dang, kind of a drag, but we seem to have had pretty good luck drafting wrs with broken feet. Pretty amazing that he ran a 4.39 just a couple months after foot surgery

Northman
05-14-2014, 01:11 PM
Sounds a lot like DT but man why do we make a habit of drafting guys who are already banged up?

G_Money
05-14-2014, 01:33 PM
If he'd been healthy for the combine he might have moved up further. McShay wanted to have Latimer's babies even WITH the busted foot.

*shrugs* he ran a 4.4 with a damaged limb. I'm all right with it. I assume they had it checked out. That's what he was at the combine for. The problem with foot injuries is that they're awfully hard to judge. If he messes it up again those things can take a long time to heal (metacarpals and metatarsals don't get a great blood supply, so the injuries can linger longer than breaking a bigger bone).

But it's a bone, not a ligament or tendon problem. They DO heal. Here's hoping he stays on schedule.

~G

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-14-2014, 06:43 PM
I'm more excited about the 39" vertical than I am the 40 time. That vertical means the dude is really explosive off the line. It will also mean he has an advantage going for jump balls.

TXBRONC
05-14-2014, 09:42 PM
I'm more excited about the 39" vertical than I am the 40 time. That vertical means the dude is really explosive off the line. It will also mean he has an advantage going for jump balls.

True but for a receiver to run that fast with a foot that isn't 100% that he's not only explosive he can't get down field in a hurry.

tomjonesrocks
05-15-2014, 05:52 AM
Hard not to be intrigued. So he's huge, fast, and athletic. Hopefully he'll be good by preseason; sounds like his main weakness is route-running which working with Manning should sort out.

BroncoWave
05-15-2014, 07:35 AM
Sounds a lot like DT but man why do we make a habit of drafting guys who are already banged up?

Because you can get them for a good value. All indications seemed to be that he was a first round guy if fully healthy. We got him in the second. Assuming he heals properly, he's right back to being that first round talent. Is it a gamble? Yeah. But it's one a team like us is in a position to make since we're not completely devoid of talent and don't need immediate impact guys in the draft.

nevcraw
05-15-2014, 07:37 AM
high hopes for this kid.. i liked Decker a lot but we really need a defensive minded WR to fight the Sherman's of the world. this kid seems just that kinda guy.

tomjonesrocks
05-15-2014, 07:40 AM
Because you can get them for a good value. All indications seemed to be that he was a first round guy if fully healthy. We got him in the second. Assuming he heals properly, he's right back to being that first round talent. Is it a gamble? Yeah. But it's one a team like us is in a position to make since we're not completely devoid of talent and don't need immediate impact guys in the draft.

The scouting report at the NFL site had him as a "4th-5th rounder" and with a "ceiling as a #3 receiver". Haven't read that assessment elsewhere, though.

TXBRONC
05-15-2014, 08:38 AM

I don't think a team should automatically shy away from a player who is coming into League hurt. If Denver had passed on D. Thomas just because he came into the League with injuried foot they would have missed out on a top five receiver.

BroncoWave
05-15-2014, 08:42 AM
I don't think a team should automatically shy away from a player who is coming into League hurt. If Denver had passed on D. Thomas just because he came into the League injuried foot Denver would have missed out on a top five receiver.

Agreed. Every football player gets hurt at one point or another. Unless it's an injury that looks to be chronic or career-threatening, then I wouldn't really factor it into my decision-making much at all.

G_Money
05-15-2014, 10:27 AM
The scouting report at the NFL site had him as a "4th-5th rounder" and with a "ceiling as a #3 receiver". Haven't read that assessment elsewhere, though.

Latimer was McShay's Most Underrated player, with him gushing about how Latimer didn't drop a single pass in the five games of tape McShay watched on him. He had a mock with him going to the Eagles at #22. I think McShay was probably highest on the kid, but anybody who gets 6 catches and a TD against Dennard (with the inestimable Nate Sudfeld not exactly "throwing him open") is my kinda player.

Latimer went about where I expected him to go. I didn't expect us to trade up for him (or even have to), but since we did all I care about is whether he works out.

He's probably the best blocking WR of the top guys, and he's one of the most raw to go with being one of the most athletic, and he doesn't drop ANYthing. The foot should be fine shortly, and watching him against our corners in camp should be really entertaining. He talks about being a post player in basketball and having to fight off guys who are 6'8, 6'10 when winning the state basketball title.

He likes the physical fight for the ball, and we need another guy like that this year against the NFCW (and in our next Super Bowl encounter). Once Manning teaches him how to run routes life could get really interesting. Hopefully he can avoid the 40-yard line turf monster that ate Decker up.

~G

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-15-2014, 04:50 PM
True but for a receiver to run that fast with a foot that isn't 100% that he's not only explosive he can't get down field in a hurry.

Pro Day 40 times can be misleading because it's all hand timed. For all we know it would have been a 4.59 at the combine. That's why I'm more excited about the vertical.

MOtorboat
05-16-2014, 02:26 AM
Second-worst draft pick ever.

-signed, Claymore.

TXBRONC
05-16-2014, 07:19 AM
Pro Day 40 times can be misleading because it's all hand timed. For all we know it would have been a 4.59 at the combine. That's why I'm more excited about the vertical.

They're a little more accurate than that.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-16-2014, 09:01 AM
There is a little more accurate than that.

I'm not so sure about that, as I will understand it hand timing can be .2 faster.

G_Money
05-16-2014, 11:51 AM
Pro Day times are almost ALWAYS faster than Combine times. Combine times aren't "real" either because the start is still hand-timed (just the finish is computerized) so pure hand-timing isn't .2 faster than half-hand-timing, but hand-timing does give faster results.

Latimer's time should be compared to other Pro-Day times, not combine times (or at least adjusted to compete with combine times).

Latimer's Pro Day times were 4.39 and 4.43, right?

Allen Robinson ran a 4.47 "and some 4.5s" at his pro day after running a 4.60 at the combine.
Marqise Lee ran a 4.52 at the combine and probably cost himself money by not running at his pro day.
Kelvin Benjamin ran a 4.61 at the combine, didn't run at his pro day.

I think Latimer is faster on the field than all of those dudes, and even if you tack on .10 to .15 for hand-timing. *shrugs* I would have loved any of several wideouts in this draft, but Latimer is bursting with talent.

~G

MOtorboat
05-16-2014, 12:26 PM
What's his football speed? Did he consistently torch college defensive backs?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-16-2014, 12:40 PM
What's his football speed? Did he consistently torch college defensive backs?

Honestly, his football speed reminds me a lot of Deckers; very good, but not breakway speed like DT. I also think he is a little better at going up and getting jump balls than Decker is. I'm not saying he's a better receiver than Decker, but he has the potential to be if he has a similar drive to Decker. Decker was one of the most driven and hard working players on our team.

G_Money
05-16-2014, 02:15 PM
Latimer in the open field is plenty fast. Go to 2:20 or so of this video for his straight-line speed with the ball in his hands and no corners catching him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYO2qhgXD6s

He's not gonna make a lotta dudes miss, though. He doesn't have moves, just stiff-arms and run-through-yous. He catches basically everything, high-points and out-jumps anybody defending him, but got a "possession-receiver" tag early in the year because he's not shifty.

I would say he's both fast and quick though. He's a smooth accelerator, however, not a burst guy. He'll kill it in our WR screen game, though. He and DT blocking for each other in that thing will be brutal. I'd like to see him in the shallow-cross pick plays we do too - he'll roll in those.

He's pretty much perfect for our offense. We scheme guys open. The difference is, if he's NOT open he can still go get the ball. Decker didn't like to do that.

~G

G_Money
05-16-2014, 02:24 PM
To put it another way: Latimer is in the Andre Johnson receiver mold, not the DeSean Jackson one. He's probably not quite as fast as Andre was coming out of college, but faster than Anquan Boldin and is that receiver-type. Catch stuff in traffic, run away from dudes in the open field, tough, possession guys. That's what we want to groom him into, and I'd take that mid-point with glee if it happens. Something like Jordy Nelson of the last few years, I guess.

Once we've taught him how to run routes and get in and out of breaks, he might even show more suddenness than I think he has. His real growth is gonna come in his footwork and understanding of how to work his opponent. He doesn't have much of that now.

~G

broncohead
05-16-2014, 02:48 PM
I'm excited about this WR

Cugel
05-19-2014, 01:12 PM
Honestly, his football speed reminds me a lot of Deckers; very good, but not breakway speed like DT. I also think he is a little better at going up and getting jump balls than Decker is. I'm not saying he's a better receiver than Decker, but he has the potential to be if he has a similar drive to Decker. Decker was one of the most driven and hard working players on our team.

And now Decker is one of the most overpaid WRs in the NFL. 5 years, $36 million, $15 million guaranteed including a $7.5 million signing bonus this year. Ouch! Guy's a solid #2 WR, but he's not an elite talent like a #1 WR, yet he's earning more money than Demaryius Thomas!

D. Thomas: 7/31/2010: Signed a five-year, $12.155 million contract. The deal contains $9.35 million guaranteed, including a onetime bonus payment of $6.38 million. Another $3.345 million is available through incentives. 2014: $3.275 million, 2015: Free Agent

Of course, Demaryius will get a lot more than $4 million a year next year. More like a $12 million bonus, and $6 million a year. Don't know if the Broncos will re-sign him. If Manning comes back for another year they might. If they have to rebuild with another QB then probably not.

G_Money
05-19-2014, 01:16 PM
And now Decker is one of the most overpaid WRs in the NFL. 5 years, $36 million, $15 million guaranteed including a $7.5 million signing bonus this year. Ouch! Guy's a solid #2 WR, but he's not an elite talent like a #1 WR, yet he's earning more money than Demaryius Thomas!

Of course, Demaryius will get a lot more than $4 million a year next year. More like a $12 million bonus, and $6 million a year. Don't know if the Broncos will re-sign him. If Manning comes back for another year they might. If they have to rebuild with another QB then probably not.

Why would the Broncos not re-sign Demaryius if Oz is gonna take over? Peyton is 20-something million a year against the cap. They could sign DT and some other guys and still come in with a lower cap figure than Manning is providing. If Manning stays, maybe they DON'T keep DT. But without Peyton, the next QB is gonna need all the offensive weapons he can get. And we can afford em.

~G

MOtorboat
05-19-2014, 01:59 PM
I assumed that letting Decker walk, meant they would keep Demaryius.

G_Money
05-19-2014, 02:20 PM
I suppose it's possible that we might only retain one of Julius Thomas or Demaryius Thomas. Not likely, though. More likely that Chris Harris has to walk on D to make room for Von and the Thomases to remain on the team. We'll see. Hopefully every impact player we have can stay. ;)

~G

BroncoNut
05-19-2014, 02:31 PM

could you repeat this post?

BroncoNut
05-19-2014, 02:32 PM

I think most did make that assumption

G_Money
05-19-2014, 04:03 PM
Great quote (http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Broncos-Take-Caution-with-Latimers-Foot/09ffd40f-f0b7-4657-b051-d96a169a8d15)from Adam Gase on Latimer:

"He's a physical specimen, and when he plays, he plays his size," said Offensive Coordinator Adam Gase. "To see him catch the ball as well as he does and then his blocking is unbelievable. I don't think I've really seen a college guy go after it the way he has in the past, and hopefully he just carries that over to this level."

Let's definitely see him compete with DT for the title of Most Physical Badass and Pass-Catching Phenom.

~G

Jsteve01
05-19-2014, 11:17 PM
To put it another way: Latimer is in the Andre Johnson receiver mold, not the DeSean Jackson one. He's probably not quite as fast as Andre was coming out of college, but faster than Anquan Boldin and is that receiver-type. Catch stuff in traffic, run away from dudes in the open field, tough, possession guys. That's what we want to groom him into, and I'd take that mid-point with glee if it happens. Something like Jordy Nelson of the last few years, I guess.

Once we've taught him how to run routes and get in and out of breaks, he might even show more suddenness than I think he has. His real growth is gonna come in his footwork and understanding of how to work his opponent. He doesn't have much of that now.

~G. In a slightly more familiar comparison ill toss out Brandon Marshall

TXBRONC
05-20-2014, 07:19 AM

Yes they'll re-sign him even if Manning isn't the starting quarterback. That's like saying that McDaniels' drafted Thomas with the forethought Manning was going be released by the Colts and Denver was going to be the team to bring him in.

CoachChaz
05-20-2014, 08:09 AM
This re-signing of DT is completely one-sided. We can assume all day long that Denver intends to re-sign him...but what does DT and his agent think? He'll get the money no matter where he goes and maybe a team with a solid young QB provides a more promising future than a team with a QB about to retire.

G_Money
05-20-2014, 03:37 PM
This re-signing of DT is completely one-sided. We can assume all day long that Denver intends to re-sign him...but what does DT and his agent think? He'll get the money no matter where he goes and maybe a team with a solid young QB provides a more promising future than a team with a QB about to retire.

His mom's in minimum security in Florida, and should be up for parole during his next contract, right? He may wanna be closer to her. Other than that, maybe Brandon Marshall can speak of his desire for the playoffs, which DT has made in every year but one and Brandon never has. The Broncos make the playoffs a LOT, regardless of who's at QB.

It shouldn't be the hardest thing to get him to stick around, unless he wants to relocate for other reasons.

~G

G_Money
05-20-2014, 03:39 PM
. In a slightly more familiar comparison ill toss out Brandon Marshall

He has better hands than Marshall which is why I didn't use Brandon, but otherwise, yes.

~G

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-20-2014, 04:41 PM
. In a slightly more familiar comparison ill toss out Brandon Marshall

Marshall isn't really a jump ball receiver. He's a possession receiver with big play ability.

Cugel
05-20-2014, 05:59 PM

I badly mis-estimated this. I wrote this before Brandon Marshall signed with the Bears for huge $:

Bears signed WR Brandon Marshall to a three-year, $30 million extension through 2018.
In what we believe is a first, Marshall signed his deal live on the daytime talk show "The View." The extension is tacked onto the $9.3 million he was previously owed in 2014, putting Marshall on the books for $39.3 million over the next four seasons. The "new money" includes $23 million guaranteed. It's a ton of coin for a sometimes mercurial player on the wrong side of 30, but Marshall has certainly earned it with on-field dominance. Since joining the Bears two years ago, he's averaged 109 catches for 1401.5 yards and 11.5 touchdowns per season. With Bromance partner Jay Cutler and quarterback whisperer Marc Trestman locked in place, we don't see a letdown coming anytime soon. May 19 - 12:14 PM

D.T. is not going to get $6 million a year. He'll be getting $10-12 million + the signing bonus. Total will be close to $30 million guaranteed.

The fact that the Broncos have made zero effort to extend his contract before he becomes a FA indicates to me that this is his last season in Denver.

Any WR FA they could sign would cost them proportionally as much, so there's no savings there. Hence, they needed to get a guy who could come in and possibly take over the #1 WR spot next season. If Latimer does anything in 2014, that's a nice bonus, but they're really looking long-term.

Cugel
05-20-2014, 06:12 PM

Possibly? But as long as Manning stays, he can reasonably expect to have a chance to win the SB which he won't necessarily have with a young guy.

The real question is whether the Broncos want to commit around $30 million guaranteed to keep him?

If they did, the smart thing to do would be to have extended him this off-season the way the Bears did with Brandon Marshall. Instead they're letting Marshall become a FA at the end of this season.

Well, they cannot be thinking "let's let him test the market." That might work for some reserve LB, but the market for D.T. is going to be insane. No off-field concerns. Top 5 WR in the NFL? He's going to get a just enormous contract. It might be more than $30 million guaranteed for 3 seasons. He might just set the record for FA WR contracts if he's healthy and has another season like last year. There won't be another FA WR who compares with him.

The only way they keep him is to extend his contract right now, and they seem to be making zero effort to do that. I say he walks at the end of next year and they are not even in the running, because they just don't want to spend the money.

TXBRONC
05-21-2014, 09:17 AM
Possibly? But as long as Manning stays, he can reasonably expect to have a chance to win the SB which he won't necessarily have with a young guy.

The real question is whether the Broncos want to commit around $30 million guaranteed to keep him?

If they did, the smart thing to do would be to have extended him this off-season the way the Bears did with Brandon Marshall. Instead they're letting Marshall become a FA at the end of this season.

Well, they cannot be thinking "let's let him test the market." That might work for some reserve LB, but the market for D.T. is going to be insane. No off-field concerns. Top 5 WR in the NFL? He's going to get a just enormous contract. It might be more than $30 million guaranteed for 3 seasons. He might just set the record for FA WR contracts if he's healthy and has another season like last year. There won't be another FA WR who compares with him.

The only way they keep him is to extend his contract right now, and they seem to be making zero effort to do that. I say he walks at the end of next year and they are not even in the running, because they just don't want to spend the money.

Clady had to play through his entire rookie contract before getting a new deal. So I don't see D. Thomas not having a contract extension at this moment as indictive of his future in Denver. I doubt they let him walk without a fight. Letting Thomas go is not on par with letting Decker go. That's not meant as a slight against Decker because is a very good receiver but he's not a number one receiver like Thomas. I doubt Elway let all those players go this year without a fight just to let Thomas walk after this season. He may indeed be gone after season but that is to far into the the future to know for sure.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-21-2014, 10:02 AM
Clady had to play through his entire contract before getting a new deal. So I don't see D. Thomas not having a contract extension as indictive of his future in Denver. I doubt they let him walk without a fight. Letting Thomas go is not on par with letting Decker go. That's not meant as a slight against Decker because he's very good receiver but he's not a number one receiver like Thomas. I doubt Elway let all those players go this year without a fight just to let Thomas walk after this season. He may indeed be gone after season but that is to far into the the future to know for sure.

Also, why wouldn't they tag him? He's easily worth the franchise tag for one year.

Cugel
05-21-2014, 01:09 PM
Clady had to play through his entire contract before getting a new deal. So I don't see D. Thomas not having a contract extension as indictive of his future in Denver. I doubt they let him walk without a fight. Letting Thomas go is not on par with letting Decker go. That's not meant as a slight against Decker because he's very good receiver but he's not a number one receiver like Thomas. I doubt Elway let all those players go this year without a fight just to let Thomas walk after this season. He may indeed be gone after season but that is to far into the the future to know for sure.

I really hope you are right. I hope they at least franchise him. But, why would they not get something done this off-season? They would save money long-term. The player gives up something on the back end to get some extra $ up front in terms of a signing bonus, and the team gets long-term stability.

I think the reason they don't do it is because Pat Bowlen is too cheap. He doesn't have a lot of money other than team revenues and once those are spent he won't go over his "budget." Other team owners are willing to do deals and pay the up front costs. Reality: Bowlen's interest in the Broncos is worth over $1 BILLION. He could sell 1% interest in the team and still come up with $12 million, more than enough to sign anybody they wanted, pay them a big signing bonus, and still fit it in under the salary cap. Players will do that, and the signing bonus is pro-rated over the lifetime of the contract so it benefits the team (as long as you are signing a player you intend to keep for the next 5 years or so -- and why wouldn't you want Demaryius Thomas for the next 5 years?)

Are they going to re-sign him next season? They obviously would want to, but I can easily see them deciding that they can't commit that much money to a WR and decide to spend it elsewhere -- on defense for instance. Or they think they can get by with Cody Latimer moving into Demaryius' place. Or they think that they don't really need a true #1 WR, they can make do with lots of moveable parts + Peyton Manning.

The Patriots have done this from time to time -- i.e. Tom Brady has taken his team deep into the playoffs with nothing much at WR. But, they haven't been in the Super Bowl since they had Randy Moss. Having a serious #1 threat is really important.

G_Money
05-21-2014, 01:24 PM
I really hope you are right. I hope they at least franchise him. But, why would they not get something done this off-season? They would save money long-term. The player gives up something on the back end to get some extra $ up front in terms of a signing bonus, and the team gets long-term stability.

Or DT's agent doesn't feel a need to take a 3 or 4 year extension when he might become the 3rd highest-paid WR in the league (hard to catch Fitzgerald and Calvin with those hundred million dollar contracts), and WANTS the bidding war that will happen in the offseason if his client hits the market. Agents get a cut, and DT is about as sure a thing as you're gonna get on the market if he stays healthy. Nothing wrong with betting you'll stay healthy... if you do.

Or maybe the Broncos (or the agent) wanted to see what Marshall would get to see how much above their previous offers Denver needed to go. Fact-finding is a good reason to wait a little bit.

We also didn't have a ton of cap room this year to spread DT's signing bonus out into with an extension that would clear this year off his rookie deal. It's possible they wanted the extra millions for this year's team and trust that next year will be fine for DT when the time comes. There are all sorts of reasons not to sign an extension with Thomas beyond "billionaires be dumb."

Also, Bowlen can't sell ANY of the team without offering it back to Kaiser, the former owner, first. That snafu with offering Elway 10% of the team showed what a nightmare it would be to do anything until either Bowlen or Kaiser die. Bowlen can will it to John (his kids don't want it) but otherwise the team budget is there for a reason. He's not selling off bits of the team to raise capital.

~G

broncohead
05-21-2014, 01:32 PM
DT will be tagged if a long term contract isn't reached

Cugel
05-21-2014, 01:52 PM
Or DT's agent doesn't feel a need to take a 3 or 4 year extension when he might become the 3rd highest-paid WR in the league (hard to catch Fitzgerald and Calvin with those hundred million dollar contracts), and WANTS the bidding war that will happen in the offseason if his client hits the market. Agents get a cut, and DT is about as sure a thing as you're gonna get on the market if he stays healthy. Nothing wrong with betting you'll stay healthy... if you do.

For a player of D.T.s caliber that's a gigantic risk. Look at Chris Harris, who lost what, about $3 million a year because he got hurt at the wrong time? And the difference between D.T. completely healthy and coming off another Pro-Bowl season and D.T. coming off IR and rehabbing a torn ACL is probably about $20 million in guaranteed money. So, sure the player might just hold off, but typically they are willing to deal some money for some security, plus they get the signing bonus right now and can invest it now. Just 3% interest on $10 million for 1 year is $300,000.

That's a lot of bling to give up! :beer:

Or maybe the Broncos (or the agent) wanted to see what Marshall would get to see how much above their previous offers Denver needed to go. Fact-finding is a good reason to wait a little bit.

If this were true, then you would expect to see them sign D.T. during this off-season. Great if true, but I doubt it.

We also didn't have a ton of cap room this year to spread DT's signing bonus out into with an extension that would clear this year off his rookie deal. It's possible they wanted the extra millions for this year's team and trust that next year will be fine for DT when the time comes. There are all sorts of reasons not to sign an extension with Thomas beyond "billionaires be dumb."

There's not any cap room under the current Bowlen budget. They've allocated pretty much all of their cap room. However, you can get a deal done quite easily if you really want to. Just put lots of guaranteed money in a contract with a big signing bonus over 6 or 7 seasons or something. Thus, a $12 million signing bonus equals a 2014 $1.7 million cap hit. They could even design it so that they saved cap money over D.T.'s current contract if they wanted.

The problem with all these creative methods to get around the salary cap is that it requires Pat Bowlen to come up with the cash. And he doesn't have it, without drawing on his stock interest in the team. If he can't sell, then he could pledge and get a long term loan.

If you have a BILLION in stock, there are people willing to lend you any amount of money at a very reasonable rate. He can get as much money as he wants.

He just doesn't want to do this. He's sticking strictly to his "budget." That might make financial sense for the Bowlen family, but it may wind up meaning he doesn't get a SB championship. All in means all in.

Of course he might not see it that way. He might think he has a chance even after Manning retires. History would say not, and I don't think the Broncos have a snowball's chance in Hell of winning the SB after Manning retires until they find their next All-Pro QB, but NFL GMs like Elway are paid to be optimistic.

They've got a long term plan as well as a short-term plan. I just don't happen to think their long-term plan is worth diddly once someone like Osweiler is your QB.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-21-2014, 02:42 PM
While Jets rookie tight end Jace Amaro hopes to catch 100 passes in New York, and Saints rookie wideout Brandin Cooks believes he'll make an "immediate impact" in New Orleans, Cody Latimer has tempered his first-year expectations with the Denver Broncos.

Added to an offense that saw Demaryius Thomas, Wes Welker and Julius Thomas catch 65 or more passes from Peyton Manning last season, the rookie wide receiver doesn't plan to start come September.

"I'm here to get on the field, but it's not much of a rush," Latimer said. "I can learn from (the veterans) and don't have to get pushed into the system too early.

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000352479/article/cody-latimer-not-in-a-rush-to-start-for-denver-broncos

dogfish
05-21-2014, 05:29 PM

it did mean that. . .

Rick
05-21-2014, 08:17 PM
I would be surprised beyond belief if DT was not resigned.

This isn't a solid receiver that will get over paid so let them go... this is a top 5 receiver.

Welker will be gone to help off set I'm sure.

dogfish
05-21-2014, 09:24 PM

This isn't a solid receiver that will get over paid so let them go... this is a top 5 receiver.

absolutely. . . manning's going to be off the books in a year or two as well. . . gotta pay somebody, and DT's first on the list right now. . .

TXBRONC
05-22-2014, 06:54 AM
Also, why wouldn't they tag him? He's easily worth the franchise tag for one year.

Didn't Elway put the franchise tag on Clady?

TXBRONC
05-22-2014, 06:56 AM

The drafting of a receiver makes likely that Welker is gone after this season.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-22-2014, 04:28 PM
Didn't Elway put the franchise tag on Clady?

Yes he did, then they worked out a long term deal before the tag went into effect...at least that's the way I remember it, which is subject to scrutiny. :laugh:

NightTerror218
05-24-2014, 08:23 PM
Never know if agents and the team are in talks or not. The thing is that putting money up front means moire cap restrictions with Manning on board taking up a huge chunk of money.

I have no doubts he will be signed since he is one of the best and Elway knows how important a WR of his skills are. But DT should know not to play hard ball with him.

He drafted a WR because half of his receiving squad will be FA next season and he needs insurance if they want to be overpaid and he has to let them walk.

dogfish
05-24-2014, 10:24 PM
anyone who thinks we drafted latimer to replace DT is simply over-analyzing. . . we needed another big body in the receiver corps, even after thomas does re-sign. . . dudes do get hurt in this league, it's called having depth. . .

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-24-2014, 10:59 PM
anyone who thinks we drafted latimer to replace DT is simply over-analyzing. . . we needed another big body in the receiver corps, even after thomas does re-sign. . . dudes do get hurt in this league, it's called having depth. . .

You don't draft guys to replace DT in the second round. You draft them im the top ten.

dogfish
05-24-2014, 11:14 PM
You don't draft guys to replace DT in the second round. You draft them im the top ten.

and when you have one, you hold onto him. . . and draft / sign guys to complement him, or back him up. . .

UnderArmour
05-25-2014, 12:07 AM

What? You do realize we drafted DT to replace a guy named Brandon Marshall, right? DT was not a top 10 pick.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-25-2014, 01:37 AM
What? You do realize we drafted DT to replace a guy named Brandon Marshall, right? DT was not a top 10 pick.

Uhm, yeah...your point is?

Marshall was already gone and needed to go at the time. You're comparing apples and oranges.
If that draft was redone DT would go in the top 5.

Pudge
05-25-2014, 01:48 AM
I never talk to you any more aw4m, come hang out in the lounge once in a while

dogfish
05-25-2014, 01:50 AM
I never talk to you any more aw4m, come hang out in the lounge once in a while

smile when you say that, pudge. . .

:naughty:

Pudge
05-25-2014, 01:54 AM
smile when you say that, pudge. . .

:naughty:

The lounge is where everything good happens, we need more people active there after midnight. Otherwise alcoholics like me will be forced to sleep at a normal time. God ******* forbid

UnderArmour
05-25-2014, 02:22 AM
Uhm, yeah...your point is?

Marshall was already gone and needed to go at the time. You're comparing apples and oranges.
If that draft was redone DT would go in the top 5.
Marshall was traded that offseason and we even used one of the two second-round picks we got to maneuver the board. DT was directly drafted by McDaniels to replace Brandon Marshall, whom honestly is still a better NFL wide receiver if he was not such a head case at times. Granted, we passed on Dez to avoid replacing one headcase with another, but it is no coincidence we took a player in the same big, blocking, physical receiver mold as Marshall.

Marshall before DT was a 4th round pick. I don't understand the whole "well you draft a replacement in the top 10" nonsense nor do I understand the "well if the draft was redone" nonsense. There are no redrafts. When you have guys like Brandon Marshall and Demaryius Thomas in a big receiver-type mold have success in the NFL though, it does boost the future draft value of players like Mike Evans who fit their mold. It's your point(if you had one?) that I don't understand.

Pudge
05-25-2014, 02:29 AM
Trying to replace a guy like DT or Marshall with a second round pick or later is a gamble. Sometimes you have to take the gamble but I don't think they are trying to replace him. He may end up being just as good, and then he can be a replacement but I don't think anyone is gambling on it. Right now he's depth, and I wouldn't read into it much more than that. They will do everything in their power to keep DT, cap permitting.

Hawgdriver
05-25-2014, 02:36 AM
Depth baby, depth. Just ask O-sh....

MOtorboat
05-25-2014, 02:50 AM
How, exactly, do you get a top 10 pick with three playoff performances in a row?

That's an absolute ridiculous assertion. We replaced a fourth rounder with a player drafted at 25 and now have added a player in the second round.

None were top 10 choices. You never get to re-draft a draft five years later. I don't even know where people come up with this shit.

MOtorboat
05-25-2014, 02:51 AM
Trying to replace a guy like DT or Marshall with a second round pick or later is a gamble. Sometimes you have to take the gamble but I don't think they are trying to replace him. He may end up being just as good, and then he can be a replacement but I don't think anyone is gambling on it. Right now he's depth, and I wouldn't read into it much more than that. They will do everything in their power to keep DT, cap permitting.

I would hope they are drafting on potential/skill rather than depth in the second round.

Pudge
05-25-2014, 02:53 AM
How, exactly, do you get a top 10 pick with three playoff performances in a row?

That's an absolute ridiculous assertion. We replaced a fourth rounder with a player drafted at 25 and now have added a player in the second round.

None were top 10 choices. You never get to re-draft a draft five years later. I don't even know where people come up with this shit.

Just so you know that's not what I'm saying, I'm saying they didn't draft him to replace DT

Pudge
05-25-2014, 02:55 AM
I would hope they are drafting on potential/skill rather than depth in the second round.

Yeah, they are. But you can't expect a second rounder to come out and replace DT. Right now he's depth at wr, probably will start but don't kid yourself that he's Thomas talent right now

MOtorboat
05-25-2014, 02:56 AM
Just so you know that's not what I'm saying, I'm saying they didn't draft him to replace DT

I think Elway just likes big, physical receivers.

It's also ridiculous to think you can ONLY get a top-flight WR in the top 10, or any position for that matter.

Pudge
05-25-2014, 02:58 AM

It's also ridiculous to think you can ONLY get a top-flight WR in the top 10, or any position for that matter.

Yes it is, but DT is top ten talent that you don't find every day. He's not being replaced by this second round pick. That's all I'm saying

MOtorboat
05-25-2014, 02:58 AM
Yeah, they are. But you can't expect a second rounder to come out and replace DT. Right now he's depth at wr, probably will start but don't kid yourself that he's Thomas talent right now

First round draft choices aren't the only players who start in the NFL. And they aren't the only players that are good enough to start.

I guarantee they weren't sitting in the draft room saying, "man, this guy could really back up our guys now!"

MOtorboat
05-25-2014, 03:00 AM
Yes it is, but DT is top ten talent that you don't find every day. He's not being replaced by this second round pick. That's all I'm saying

I just don't understand labeling a fourth year player with a draft grade. It's not logical.

Pudge
05-25-2014, 03:00 AM
First round draft choices aren't the only players who start in the NFL. And they aren't the only players that are good enough to start.

I guarantee they weren't sitting in the draft room saying, "man, this guy could really back up our guys now!"

That's not what I'm ******* saying! All I'm doing is arguing the point that he was drafted to replace DT. I expect him to start and to compliment the team.

MOtorboat
05-25-2014, 03:03 AM
That's not what I'm ******* saying! All I'm doing is arguing the point that he was drafted to replace DT. I expect him to start and to compliment the team.

You said he was drafted as depth.

No one is drafted with the idea that they will be a backup. Especially in the second round.

Pudge
05-25-2014, 03:10 AM

No one is drafted with the idea that they will be a backup. Especially in the second round.

He was drafted knowing we can't keep all our current receivers forever, probably not past this year. With our current receivers he probably won't see as much time as DT, Welker, and Sanders. So he helps with depth right now and after this year, when it's guaranteed we lose at least one of them, he will be under contract and will be a reliable starter with a year of experience in the system.

Pudge
05-25-2014, 03:11 AM

Also because you're being argumentative for the **** of it, let me throw Ozs name out there. Now let your mind explode

MOtorboat
05-25-2014, 03:19 AM
Also because you're being argumentative for the **** of it, let me throw Ozs name out there. Now let your mind explode

You don't think they drafted him to start in the future?

He certainly wasn't draft because he was a career backup.

Pudge
05-25-2014, 03:25 AM
You don't think they drafted him to start in the future?

He certainly wasn't draft because he was a career backup.

I just threw that out there to piss you off. I understand how this stuff works. I may not be a smart man Mo, but I'm not a retard.... Quit acting like anyone everyone else is

Hawgdriver
05-25-2014, 03:48 AM
I just threw that out there to piss you off. I understand how this stuff works. I may not be a smart man Mo, but I'm not a retard.... Quit acting like anyone everyone else is

That is something I do as well, assume everyone else is dumb as dirt. I got your back MO. They are all dumb as dirt. Right? You guys are all as smart as a bag of soft rocks?

I'm trying out this new obscenely abrasive WTE mode, what do you think?

MO, does this register?

BroncoJoe
05-25-2014, 09:31 AM

Also, Bowlen can't sell ANY of the team without offering it back to Kaiser, the former owner, first. That snafu with offering Elway 10% of the team showed what a nightmare it would be to do anything until either Bowlen or Kaiser die. Bowlen can will it to John (his kids don't want it) but otherwise the team budget is there for a reason. He's not selling off bits of the team to raise capital.

~G

Kaiser is dead. Not sure if that is true anymore.

TXBRONC
05-25-2014, 09:57 AM

Different set of circumstances.

TXBRONC
05-25-2014, 10:03 AM

Marshall, Decker, Colston, were not even taken any spot in the first round yet all three are in the top 15 to 20 of receivers in the League.

Ravage!!!
05-25-2014, 11:12 AM
Marshall, Decker, Colston, were not even taken any spot in the first round yet all three are in the top 15 to 20 of receivers in the League.

Marshall a lot higher than that.

Simple Jaded
05-25-2014, 02:17 PM
Thomas should have been drafted right where Latimer was for the exact same reason Latimer fell to where he went.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-26-2014, 05:12 PM
Marshall was traded that offseason and we even used one of the two second-round picks we got to maneuver the board. DT was directly drafted by McDaniels to replace Brandon Marshall, whom honestly is still a better NFL wide receiver if he was not such a head case at times. Granted, we passed on Dez to avoid replacing one headcase with another, but it is no coincidence we took a player in the same big, blocking, physical receiver mold as Marshall.

Marshall before DT was a 4th round pick. I don't understand the whole "well you draft a replacement in the top 10" nonsense nor do I understand the "well if the draft was redone" nonsense. There are no redrafts. When you have guys like Brandon Marshall and Demaryius Thomas in a big receiver-type mold have success in the NFL though, it does boost the future draft value of players like Mike Evans who fit their mold. It's your point(if you had one?) that I don't understand.

I get what you're saying. Maybe I should have been more specific. I probably would have been if I would have known an off the cuff comment would have created buzz in the hornets nest.

Yes, I know when Brandon Marshall was drafted, and I know why DT was drafted. I'm merely saying Denver needed to dump Marshall because he was a head-case when he was in Denver. Denver doesn't need to dump DT. He hasn't been prosecuted for anything in Denver and he's been an elite talent with elite production. Whether or not Marshall is a better receiver is a topic that can be debated heavily, but I'm not interested in debating that. I think they're both elite, and probably top 5 at their position.

Yes, I understand we don't "re-do" drafts, it's not necessary to talk to me like I'm dumber than a bag of hammers. My point is that he has turned into an all-pro talent with all-pro level production. Is it possible to find that kind of production in the 2nd-4th rounds? Yes, it's possible, but it's just not very likely.

I understand that the only place to find elite talent is not just in the top 10. I'm merely pointing out that it's not as likely. I think we all understand that.

Do I think Lattimer can be a productive receiver? Yes I do. Do I think Denver drafted him believing he's going to replace DT's production? No, I don't believe that.

Thank you for the cynical over-reaction. It's stuff like this that makes me wonder why I even come here anymore.

TXBRONC
05-27-2014, 06:58 AM
I get what you're saying. Maybe I should have been more specific. I probably would have been if I would have known an off the cuff comment would have created buzz in the hornets nest.

Yes, I know when Brandon Marshall was drafted, and I know why DT was drafted. I'm merely saying Denver needed to dump Marshall because he was a head-case when he was in Denver. Denver doesn't need to dump DT. He hasn't been prosecuted for anything in Denver and he's been an elite talent with elite production. Whether or not Marshall is a better receiver is a topic that can be debated heavily, but I'm not interested in debating that. I think they're both elite, and probably top 5 at their position.

Yes, I understand we don't "re-do" drafts, it's not necessary to talk to me like I'm dumber than a bag of hammers. My point is that he has turned into an all-pro talent with all-pro level production. Is it possible to find that kind of production in the 2nd-4th rounds? Yes, it's possible, but it's just not very likely.

I understand that the only place to find elite talent is not just in the top 10. I'm merely pointing out that it's not as likely. I think we all understand that.

Do I think Lattimer can be a productive receiver? Yes I do. Do I think Denver drafted him believing he's going to replace DT's production? No, I don't believe that.

Thank you for the cynical over-reaction. It's stuff like this that makes me wonder why I even come here anymore.

I disagree agree with you that Denver needed to dump Marshall. He had off the field issues but the fact is the only reason he was traded is because McDaniels was a jerk. I also disagree with UA that Marshall is better receiver than D. Thomas. If Denver's passing attack depended on him what 70% time like Marshall's does he would put up 100 catch seasons consistently.

As far finding top flight receiving talent outside the first round it is done often. Decker and Marshall were both taken outside of the first two rounds of the draft.