WARHORSE
05-13-2014, 12:12 AM
All I see is a baller.
Someone please embed.

jJcCOclYl9o

Lots of plays in here.

Notables:

1:00 Thats some speed.

1:21 You dont do this by accident. He has no trouble finding the ball. This is an unbelievable play.

1:58 This guy is a baller.

2:27 Extremely short field blocked kick. wow.

3:19 Another blocked kick.

4:07 Aint afraid to tackle.

4:10 Clearly got beat or there was a mix up....but the make up speed is awesome.

4:31 Pick

5:00 I love it

Hawgdriver
05-13-2014, 02:49 AM
I want this dude to give nightmares, and it looks like that's what he wants too.

BroncoNut
05-13-2014, 08:16 AM
pretty impressive. he's been well coached at the position, I can see that.

LTC Pain
05-13-2014, 08:57 AM
- Good tackler, not shy to tackle low, wraps up real well
- Physical
- Scrappy hands
- Excellent closing speed (wow!)
- Coaching will help him with looking back for the ball
- I like this kid!

BroncoNut
05-13-2014, 08:59 AM
- Good tackler, not shy to tackle low, wraps up real well
- Physical
- Scrappy hands
- Excellent closing speed (wow!)
- Coaching will help him with looking back for the ball
- I like this kid!

I liked him for a while, just didn't voice it that much. I wish I had now

LTC Pain
05-13-2014, 09:10 AM
I liked him for a while, just didn't voice it that much. I wish I had now

As soon as the Broncos selected Roby at #31 my first thought was "goodbye Tony Carter".

BroncoNut
05-13-2014, 09:28 AM
As soon as the Broncos selected Roby at #31 my first thought was "goodbye Tony Carter".

goodbye somebody. db was definitely a need, let's see who do we likely have ... , all assuming, Moore, Trevathon, Roby, Harris,

TXBRONC
05-13-2014, 09:33 AM
I'm not trying to be a wet blanket but according to Mayock, Roby sometimes has trouble finding the ball when his is not facing the quarterback. Mayock showed three or four clips of OSU vs. Wisconsin and got torched because he couldn't find the ball to knock. The positive was that he was all over the receiver but he still didn't make the plays. Granted Mayock only showed clips from one game but I think he's best talent evaluator on tv so it's something to keep in mind. That doesn't mean Roby can't be coached up. Even with that criticism Mayock overall said this kid is great athlete and good pick for the Broncos.

Let me add one last thing. I like personally like pick and hope that lives up to his potential.

LTC Pain
05-13-2014, 09:35 AM
goodbye somebody. db was definitely a need, let's see who do we likely have ... , all assuming, Moore, Trevathon, Roby, Harris,

Roby, Talib, Harris and Webster are our top-four CBs. Tony Carter and Jerome Murphy are also listed on the current rosters as CBs. Not sure how many CBs (4-5?) the Broncos will carry on the roster but I hope they replace Carter with somebody with a lick of sense off waivers.

Trevathan is a LB :)

BroncoNut
05-13-2014, 09:35 AM
I'm not trying to be a wet blanket but according to Mayock, Roby sometimes has trouble finding the ball when his is not facing the quarterback. Mayock showed three or four clips of OSU vs. Wisconsin and got torched because he couldn't find the ball to knock. The positive was that he was all over the receiver but he still didn't make the plays. Granted Mayock only showed clips from one game but I think he's best talent evaluator on tv so it's something to keep in mind. That doesn't mean Roby can't be coached up. Even with that criticism Mayock overall said this kid is great athlete and good pick for the Broncos.

didn't see these highlights, but I've heard about this one game. doesn't surprise me that there is going to be a thing or 2 to work on.

BroncoNut
05-13-2014, 09:36 AM
Roby, Talib, Harris and Webster are our top-four CBs. Tony Carter and Jerome Murphy are also listed on the current rosters as CBs. Not sure how many CBs (4-5?) the Broncos will carry on the roster but I hope they replace Carter with somebody with a lick of sense off waivers.

I thgouth Danny was, but I get him mixed up with someone else.. Ianacho, isnt' he in that mix?

LTC Pain
05-13-2014, 09:41 AM
didn't see these highlights, but I've heard about this one game. doesn't surprise me that there is going to be a thing or 2 to work on.

I saw the OSU vs. Wisconsin clips that Mayock played during the draft. Taken by itself, it would appear that Roby isn't that talented and did have trouble finding the ball. But Mayock also said Roby is one of the most talented CBs in the draft and coaching could help with this technical issue. Too small of a sample set and there are a plethora of other film that shows Roby is quite talented.

BroncoNut
05-13-2014, 09:45 AM
I saw the OSU vs. Wisconsin clips that Mayock played during the draft. Taken by itself, it would appear that Roby isn't that talented and did have trouble finding the ball. But Mayock also said Roby is one of the most talented CBs in the draft and coaching could help with this technical issue. Too small of a sample set and there are a plethora of other film that shows Roby is quite talented.

I remember being impressed with him earlier last season. great spend and coverage, aggressive, all the things we mention here. but that was also just a few looks from me. gotta love the talent, but consistency is the name of the game. again though, I'm not too discouraged by a bad showing or 2 (as a fan), not like I am a coach or anything

TXBRONC
05-13-2014, 09:51 AM

IIRC we carried five last year Bailey, DRC, Harris, Webster, and Cater and carried at least five every year since Fox has been the head coach. If Denver carried a sixth I can't remember who it was.

The four that make it for sure obviously Talib, Harris, Roby, and Webster, that means Carter is probably fighting for a job.

G_Money
05-13-2014, 09:55 AM
Roby is brilliantly talented. He's just not always consistent, and he has a bad habit of playing down to the level of his opponent.

If he can bring his A-game every game and get the technique improvements that come from better coaching, he has greatness in him.

~G

TXBRONC
05-13-2014, 09:58 AM

Agreed, but looking back at the highlights there were several times he didn't look for the ball. Granted he still made a play but it wouldn't hurt to refine the skill. I remember even Mayock said he's very talented.

GEM
05-13-2014, 10:29 AM
I like that he has awareness for pass break ups. I'm excited to see how he translates to the NFL.

BroncoNut
05-13-2014, 11:45 AM
I like that he has awareness for pass break ups. I'm excited to see how he translates to the NFL.

that and related, his timing is really impressive to me, seems in those clips anyway, kinda take highlights with a grain of salt, sure they show the capacity, but like you say, how's it going to translate.

LRtagger
05-13-2014, 03:21 PM
He will probably be our punt returner, too. That should free up a roster spot for a real WR instead of a Holiday-like player.

WARHORSE
05-13-2014, 09:59 PM

Let me add one last thing. I like personally like pick and hope that lives up to his potential.

With each prospect Mayock will tell you what he sees a guy can work on at some point or another.

A high trajectory pass can throw any corner off on any given play. As a DB you get used to seeing the passes come in at certain flight paths according to how deep you are on the field.

This is exactly what caused Moore to stutter in the Ravens loss in the AFC Championship last year....Flacco threw a water balloon.

In the tape MAYOCK showed, this is what I saw.

So when I see the kid make a catch like he did at 1:21, I know he has no trouble tracking a ball......so I think this is a coaching issue that probably was already addressed after that game.

jhildebrand
05-14-2014, 12:41 AM
Roby might be the most physically gifted DB in the draft but he was far from the most polished. Even on draft night his "highlights" were more low lights. Also, in the first part of the clip his guy is either making the reception on him because he is playing so deep or the receiver is just wide open. In college you can let a guy get that open and depend on your closing speed which he clearly has. But I am not so sure in the NFL he will be able to rely on that as much.

WARHORSE
05-15-2014, 11:06 PM
Roby might be the most physically gifted DB in the draft but he was far from the most polished. Even on draft night his "highlights" were more low lights. Also, in the first part of the clip his guy is either making the reception on him because he is playing so deep or the receiver is just wide open. In college you can let a guy get that open and depend on your closing speed which he clearly has. But I am not so sure in the NFL he will be able to rely on that as much.

Him playing off was definitely dictated by the defense they were playing. Corners dont just decide to play off. Game situation played into this for sure.

I love his tape.