PDA

View Full Version : Broncos 2014 roster discussion

VonDoom
05-12-2014, 01:49 PM
Kind of an offshoot of the "did we improve the roster" thread, but I figured this might deserve its own topic. It's still tremendously early, but let's speculate on who might make the 53 man roster. At this point, we have 92 players on the roster (though I think two have to be cut by today?) so let's see what we have. A lot of talk leading up to the draft was something like - Denver should trade all of its low round picks to move up, since on a good/great team, there aren't spots for seven rookies. Do the numbers tell the same story?

QB-
Definites: Manning, Osweiler
Maybe: Dysert
Not Likely: Bryn Renner
Depends on if we're carrying 3 QB's again. Renner is probably camp fodder. Would Dysert be able to stay on the practice squad if we don't take him or will someone snatch him up?

RB-
Definites: Ball, Anderson, Hillman
Maybe: Kapri Bibbs
Not Likely: Jerodis Williams, Brennan Clay, Juwann Thompson
I put Hillman as a "definite" at this point, though things could change depending on how TC goes. I suspect they don't want to give up on him yet. I think Bibbs makes the team, since we should probably carry 4 RB's and I think he'll impress at TC.

WR-
Definites: D. Thomas, Sanders, Welker, Latimer, Caldwell
Maybe: Isaiah Burse
Not Likely: Bennie Fowler, Greg Hardin, Jordan Norwood, Nathan Palmer, Greg Wilson
I've heard good things about Burse as far as being a return man. Maybe a luxury to carry six receivers if one is only returning kicks, but you never know. One of these guys could step up and challenge Caldwell, I suppose, but we just signed him for two more years so I don't see us cutting him.

TE-
Definites: J. Thomas, Tamme, Green
Maybe: Dreessen, Gerell Robinson
Not Likely: Jamison Konz, Cameron Morrah
I think we'll carry four TE's, and my guess for the fourth is Robinson. Dreessen will probably get cut when he has a clean bill of health and save us some money. I think Tamme stays, since he's a proven commodity and Peyton's driving buddy.

OT-
Definites: Clady, Clark, Schofield, Painter
Maybe: Winston Justice
Not Likely: Aslam Sterling, Ramon Harewood, Paul Cornick
I suppose Justice could be a "definite", since on the whole O-line, I only have 8 in that category (see below).

G-
Definites: Franklin, Vasquez
Maybe: Ben Garland
Not Likely: Ryan Miller
Did Garland play for us last year? I'm drawing a blank

C-
Definites: Ramirez, Montgomery
Maybe: Matt Paradis
I'm not sure what to think of Paradis at this point. Practice squad?

DT-
Definites: Knighton, Vickerson, Williams
Maybe: Unrein, Austin
Not Likely: Simone Fua, Mister Cobble
I put Unrein as a "maybe" only because if someone steps up, they could conceivably cut Unrein and save $1.4 million with no dead money. I'm looking at you, Mister Cobble

DE-
Definites: Ware, Wolfe, Jackson, Quanterus Smith
Not Likely: Greg Latta, Kenny Anunike, Hall Davis, John Youboty
I hope it's not wishful thinking to assume Q Smith is a "definite." They stashed him on IR for a reason.

LB-
Definites: Miller, Trevathan, Irving, Barrow
Maybe: Steven Johnson, Lerentee McCray, Corey Nelson
Not Likely: Shaquil Barrett, Brandon Marshall, Jerrell Harris, LJ Fort, Jamar Chaney, Chase Vaughn
There are a lot of question marks around this position. I could make a case for any of the "maybe" guys here and maybe even some of the others. Be interesting to see how it plays out.

CB-
Definites: Talib, Harris, Roby, Webster, T. Carter
Not Likely: Jerome Murphy, Louis Murphy

S-
Definites: Moore, Ward, Ihenacho, Bruton, Q. Carter, Bolden
Not Likely: John Boyett, Eric Hagg, Charles Mitchell, Jordan Sullen
I put both Carter and Bolden on here, though I have no idea how it will play out. Moore, returning from injury, has no backup at FS if at least one of those two isn't on the roster.

Special Teams:
Definites: Prater, Colquitt, Brewer
Not Likely: Steven Clark
Hypothetically, Clark could beat out Colquitt for the P job, though it's still only one roster spot either way. Did I read somewhere that we drafted someone who used to long snap also? I could see Brewer being out of a job that way.

I end up with 46 definites using the above. Our first four draft picks are all in there, and the other two (along with two UDFA) are in the maybe column.

What does everyone else say?

Tned
05-12-2014, 02:30 PM
Ben Garland is the Air Force academy grad. He was with the Broncos a few years ago, went back to finish his stint, then came back to the Broncos. He was initially a DT, and then I think late last offseason they moved him to the offensive line.

underrated29
05-12-2014, 04:04 PM
Pretty good for right after the draft.

I am willing to bet that John Boyett makes the squad at saftey over Omar Boldin.

The only other guys who may make it or have a real fighting chance are Lorentee mccray (we seemed to like him a fair amount before he went IR), The Duke RB thompson- I like this kid a lot, perhaps more than bibbs, but id need to see them in person. Finally, aninuke and youbouty. Yabouty is the more polished and aninuke will probably be a PS if he is lucky. The rest I agree on.

CoachChaz
05-12-2014, 04:10 PM
I'm rooting for Jamar Chaney. Kid has produced when given a chance.

G_Money
05-12-2014, 04:20 PM
I second Duke Thompson's potential to break camp with us. He's a special teams badass who was in a RB rotation but showed well when on the field. RBs, safeties and LBs make up most of your special teams talent, so he's absolutely got a chance to stick.

Just has to show he can pick up the offense and contribute.

~G

CoachChaz
05-12-2014, 04:24 PM
I second Duke Thompson's potential to break camp with us. He's a special teams badass who was in a RB rotation but showed well when on the field. RBs, safeties and LBs make up most of your special teams talent, so he's absolutely got a chance to stick.

Just has to show he can pick up the offense and contribute.

~G

Rotations are what typically kill RB's in the draft. CJ is a perfect example. He was in a 3 man rotation at Cal, but took advantage of his opportunities when they came. The negative is they dont have much tape to get drafted on, the positive is you can find a gem that knows how to fight for his spot and doesnt have much mileage.

NightTerror218
05-12-2014, 04:44 PM
I could see some of our depth used to play ST dumped since they sucks it up at times. That means bolden carter johnson for new guys. Nelson boyett and thompson ( just like TD).

G_Money
05-12-2014, 04:57 PM
Juwan Thompson runs a 4.55 at 225 pounds and had 5.6 ypc last year. He and Bibbs could both make the team for all I care. I love special teamers with a chip on their shoulders. Juwan can also pick up Manning's O pretty quickly (played for Manning's college OC and went to Duke).

I wanna keep Bennie Fowler at least on the practice squad. Don't show that guy off too much! He's a height-weight-speed dude who can really play when he's healthy.

It's funny, but I'm fonder of some of our UDFAs than of our late-round picks. Want to see the camp competition for sure. Guys are gonna shiv each other for roster spots - which is how it should be on a contender and defending AFC champ.

~G

VonDoom
05-12-2014, 05:34 PM
Considering there's a lot of talk about how weak our RB depth is, I'm glad to hear cases being made for a bunch of these guys. We're not carrying more than four, though, so I wonder who's getting through. Does Hillman get cut for one of these new guys?

I could see some of our depth used to play ST dumped since they sucks it up at times. That means bolden carter johnson for new guys. Nelson boyett and thompson ( just like TD).

I thought they might keep Johnson around since he's familiar with the system, but I could definitely see a case being made for some new blood there. Good point on Bolden too - I was originally assuming he would be cut, but there was just no FS depth. I wouldn't mind Boyett coming in to work with ST.

Simple Jaded
05-12-2014, 06:56 PM
I'm with Coach Chaz, I hope that Chaney is this years Brooking/Bradley/Lenin-type veteran insurance. I think he's better than all three. Big, strong, fast, starting experience, and more importantly, young and healthy.

BroncoWave
05-12-2014, 07:01 PM
See my adopted Bronco for whom I want to make the team.

LTC Pain
05-12-2014, 07:09 PM
I'd like to see what Bibbs and Thompson do in camp and preseason before anointing them on the RB depth chart ahead of Hillman. And I'm not a big fan of Hillman either. He can run in open space but goes down on contact, doesnt break tackles and never pushes the pile. He may not make the final cuts.

Dzone
05-12-2014, 07:20 PM
Our STs were ranked 32nd on kickoff coverage. Not sure where we ranked on punt coverage, but probably pretty low. Our STs suck.

Jsteve01
05-12-2014, 09:35 PM
Our STs were ranked 32nd on kickoff coverage. Not sure where we ranked on punt coverage, but probably pretty low. Our STs suck.. See the poor performance in the sb. Anyone remember how our poor special teams play killed us during the Plummer years. Our opponents had some of the best starting field position when playing us and we had the worst

MOtorboat
05-12-2014, 09:49 PM
Kind of an offshoot of the "did we improve the roster" thread, but I figured this might deserve its own topic. It's still tremendously early, but let's speculate on who might make the 53 man roster. At this point, we have 92 players on the roster (though I think two have to be cut by today?) so let's see what we have. A lot of talk leading up to the draft was something like - Denver should trade all of its low round picks to move up, since on a good/great team, there aren't spots for seven rookies. Do the numbers tell the same story?

QB-
Definites: Manning, Osweiler
Maybe: Dysert
Not Likely: Bryn Renner
Depends on if we're carrying 3 QB's again. Renner is probably camp fodder. Would Dysert be able to stay on the practice squad if we don't take him or will someone snatch him up?

I'd say this is probably accurate, although barring something crazy, Dysert is the QB rule guy, so he's on the 53.

RB-
Definites: Ball, Anderson, Hillman
Maybe: Kapri Bibbs
Not Likely: Jerodis Williams, Brennan Clay, Juwann Thompson
I put Hillman as a "definite" at this point, though things could change depending on how TC goes. I suspect they don't want to give up on him yet. I think Bibbs makes the team, since we should probably carry 4 RB's and I think he'll impress at TC.

I think Bibbs makes the team. They carried four last year on the regular roster most of the season and Hillman ended up being a healthy scratch, I believe.

WR-
Definites: D. Thomas, Sanders, Welker, Latimer, Caldwell
Maybe: Isaiah Burse
Not Likely: Bennie Fowler, Greg Hardin, Jordan Norwood, Nathan Palmer, Greg Wilson
I've heard good things about Burse as far as being a return man. Maybe a luxury to carry six receivers if one is only returning kicks, but you never know. One of these guys could step up and challenge Caldwell, I suppose, but we just signed him for two more years so I don't see us cutting him.

I'd say the definites you have hear are on the team, and barring something amazing here, that's the five that make the team.

TE-
Definites: J. Thomas, Tamme, Green
Maybe: Dreessen, Gerell Robinson
Not Likely: Jamison Konz, Cameron Morrah
I think we'll carry four TE's, and my guess for the fourth is Robinson. Dreessen will probably get cut when he has a clean bill of health and save us some money. I think Tamme stays, since he's a proven commodity and Peyton's driving buddy.

I think the question at receiver is whether or not Denver goes with Caldwell or Dreesen/Tamme. You could almost make this a seven-man receiving corp and look at it from that perspective.

D. Thomas, J. Thomas, Welker, Sanders, Latimer are definites, Caldwell, Tamme, Dreesen and Green's status are in question I would say. So, saying that the fourth tight end to go is probably a safe bet here.

OT-
Definites: Clady, Clark, Schofield, Painter
Maybe: Winston Justice
Not Likely: Aslam Sterling, Ramon Harewood, Paul Cornick
I suppose Justice could be a "definite", since on the whole O-line, I only have 8 in that category (see below).

Yup.

G-
Definites: Franklin, Vasquez
Maybe: Ben Garland
Not Likely: Ryan Miller
Did Garland play for us last year? I'm drawing a blank

Basically, yes. Garland is on the verge of being on the team.

C-
Definites: Ramirez, Montgomery
Maybe: Matt Paradis
I'm not sure what to think of Paradis at this point. Practice squad?

I think Paradis is on the team. I think Montgomery is not definite, basically for guard depth and no other reason.

DT-
Definites: Knighton, Vickerson, Williams
Maybe: Unrein, Austin
Not Likely: Simone Fua, Mister Cobble
I put Unrein as a "maybe" only because if someone steps up, they could conceivably cut Unrein and save $1.4 million with no dead money. I'm looking at you, Mister Cobble

I honestly think this depends on whether or not Miller is healthy for the start of the season, because with Miller you'll see a lot of three-man fronts and without Miller you'll see a lot of 4 man fronts.

DE-
Definites: Ware, Wolfe, Jackson, Quanterus Smith
Not Likely: Greg Latta, Kenny Anunike, Hall Davis, John Youboty
I hope it's not wishful thinking to assume Q Smith is a "definite." They stashed him on IR for a reason.

I'd say that's a safe bet. Maybe one more, but your guess is as good as mine.

LB-
Definites: Miller, Trevathan, Irving, Barrow
Maybe: Steven Johnson, Lerentee McCray, Corey Nelson
Not Likely: Shaquil Barrett, Brandon Marshall, Jerrell Harris, LJ Fort, Jamar Chaney
There are a lot of question marks around this position. I could make a case for any of the "maybe" guys here and maybe even some of the others. Be interesting to see how it plays out.

The only thing I'd say here, is I'm not sure they'll only keep four, though Ware will be in a upright stance much of the time, like Phillips was (if Miller is healthy), which would put him more in this category than DE. I think Johnson probably makes it.

CB-
Definites: Talib, Harris, Roby, Webster, T. Carter
Not Likely: Jerome Murphy, Louis Murphy

Sounds about right.

S-
Definites: Moore, Ward, Ihenacho, Bruton, Q. Carter, Bolden
Not Likely: John Boyett, Eric Hagg, Charles Mitchell, Jordan Sullen
I put both Carter and Bolden on here, though I have no idea how it will play out. Moore, returning from injury, has no backup at FS if at least one of those two isn't on the roster.

That's a LOT of defensive backs, although, you think about it...it's a passing league.

Special Teams:
Definites: Prater, Colquitt, Brewer
Not Likely: Steven Clark
Hypothetically, Clark could beat out Colquitt for the P job, though it's still only one roster spot either way. Did I read somewhere that we drafted someone who used to long snap also? I could see Brewer being out of a job that way.

That's likely, but I'd add a KR. I think they'll find one that's either not on the roster, or not listed as definite.

I end up with 46 definites using the above. Our first four draft picks are all in there, and the other two (along with two UDFA) are in the maybe column.

What does everyone else say?

I got:
QB - Manning, Osweiler, Dysert
RB - Ball, Hillman, Anderson, Bibbs
WR - Thomas, Sanders, Welker, Latimer, Caldwell
TE - Thomas, Tamme, Dreesen
T - Clady, Clark, Schofield, Painter
G - Franklin, Vasquez
C - Ramirez, Paradis, Montgomery (leaves a couple of swing options at G)

DT - Knighton, Vickerson, Williams, Unrein
DE - Ware, Wolfe, Jackson, Smith
OLB - Miller, Trevathan, Irving, Barrow, Johnson
CB - Talib, Harris, Roby, Webster, Carter
S - Moore, Ward, Ihenacho, Bruton, Carter, Bolden
ST - Prater, Colquitt, Brewer, KR

This list leaves one spot open. Garland?

Buff
05-12-2014, 09:58 PM
I kind of forgot Quinton Carter was still alive.

I'm looking forward to seeing what our Champ-less identity will be in the secondary. Also, I would really like it if somebody stepped up and took Tony Carter's roster spot this year.

MOtorboat
05-12-2014, 10:01 PM
I kind of forgot Quinton Carter was still alive.

I'm looking forward to seeing what our Champ-less identity will be in the secondary. Also, I would really like it if somebody stepped up and took Tony Carter's roster spot this year.

Rudderless? It worries me. Can Ward be like B-Dawk and Lynch? If he can, then it's probably not a big deal.

Buff
05-12-2014, 10:35 PM
Rudderless? It worries me. Can Ward be like B-Dawk and Lynch? If he can, then it's probably not a big deal.

Meh... Give me young, fast and talented back there. We've done the veteran leadership thing with mixed results.

Simple Jaded
05-12-2014, 11:17 PM
QB- Manning, Osweiler and Dysert
RB- Ball, Anderson, Hillman and Bibbs
WR- Thomas, Welker, Sanders, Latimer, Caldwell
TE- Thomas, Green, Tamme and Dreessen
OT- Clady, Clark, Schofield and Justice
OG- Franklin, Vasquez
C- Ramirez, Montgomery and Paradis
K- Prater

DE- Ware, Jackson, Wolfe and Smith
DT- Knighton, Williams, Vickerson, Austin and Unrein
OLB- Miller, Trevathon, McCray and Barrow
ILB- Irving, Chaney and Johnson
CB- Talib, Harris, Roby, Webster and Carter
S- Ward, Moore, Bruton and Bolden
P- Colquitt

LS- Brewer.

LTC Pain
05-13-2014, 08:45 AM
QB- Manning, Osweiler and Dysert
RB- Ball, Anderson, Hillman and Bibbs
WR- Thomas, Welker, Sanders, Latimer, Caldwell
TE- Thomas, Green, Tamme and Dreessen
OT- Clady, Clark, Schofield and Justice
OG- Franklin, Vasquez
C- Ramirez, Montgomery and Paradis
K- Prater

DE- Ware, Jackson, Wolfe and Smith
DT- Knighton, Williams, Vickerson, Austin and Unrein
OLB- Miller, Trevathon, McCray and Barrow
ILB- Irving, Chaney and Johnson
CB- Talib, Harris, Roby, Webster and Carter
S- Ward, Moore, Bruton and Bolden
P- Colquitt

LS- Brewer.

That's a solid roster! I think Ihenacho makes the roster over Bolden. And do you think the Broncos will carry three centers on the active roster? Paradis may end up on the PS.

LTC Pain
05-13-2014, 09:28 AM
First SWAG at the Broncos eight-man Practice Squad:

Gerell Robinson/TE
Shaquil Barrett/LB
Juwan Thompson/RB
John Youboty/DE
Corey Nelson/LB
Isaiah Burse/WR
Aslam Sterling/OT
Jordan Sullen/FS

VonDoom
05-13-2014, 09:35 AM
I got:
WR - Thomas, Sanders, Welker, Latimer, Caldwell
TE - Thomas, Tamme, Dreesen
G - Franklin, Vasquez
C - Ramirez, Paradis, Montgomery (leaves a couple of swing options at G)

DT - Knighton, Vickerson, Williams, Unrein
OLB - Miller, Trevathan, Irving, Barrow, Johnson
S - Moore, Ward, Ihenacho, Bruton, Carter, Bolden
ST - Prater, Colquitt, Brewer, KR

This list leaves one spot open. Garland?

Thanks for the well thought out response, Mo! Maybe six is too many safeties, so say Carter is healthy, I'd leave him in and take out Bolden. Just a guess. I also think we need a KR, which is why I mentioned Burse as a possibility. I like the way you look at the receiving corps; to that end, I might leave off the fourth TE (Robinson, in my case). I still think Dreessen gets cut, which is what I'm assuming for these purposes. So let's say:

WR - Thomas, Sanders, Welker, Latimer, Caldwell, Burse (as a KR)
TE - Thomas, Tamme, Green
G - Franklin, Vasquez
C - Ramirez, Paradis, Montgomery

DT - Knighton, Vickerson, Williams, Unrein, Austin
OLB - Miller, Trevathan, Irving, Barrow, McCray, Nelson
S - Moore, Ward, Ihenacho, Bruton, Carter
ST - Prater, Colquitt, Brewer

That's 25 on both offense and defense, which is what I was shooting for.

aulaza
05-15-2014, 01:16 PM
Here is my projection (the guys in yellow are the ones I'm least sure about)

Offense (25)

QB: Manning - Osweiler - Dysert
RB: Ball - Anderson - Hillman - Thompson
WR: Thomas - Sanders - Welker - Latimer - Caldwell
TE: Thomas - Green - Tamme - Robinson

RT: Clark - Justice
RG: Vasquez
C: Ramirez - Montgomery
LG: Franklin - Harewood
LT: Clady - Schofield

Defense (25)

RE: Ware, Smith
DT: Vickerson, Williams
DT: Knighton, Unrein
LE: Wolfe, Jackson, Youboty

WLB: Trevathan, Barrow
MLB: Irving, Johnson
SLB: Miller, McCray

CB: Talib, Roby, Carter
CB: Harris, Webster
SS: Ward, Ihenacho
FS: Moore, Carter, Bruton

Special Teams (3)

K: Prater
P: Colquitt
LS: Brewer

Practice Squad (8)

QB Bryn Renner
RB Kapri Bibbs
WR Isaiah Burse
OT Vinston Painter
OC Matt Paradis
DT Mister Cobbie
WLB Corey Nelson
SLB Shaquil Barrett

Simple Jaded
05-15-2014, 11:33 PM
That's a solid roster! I think Ihenacho makes the roster over Bolden. And do you think the Broncos will carry three centers on the active roster? Paradis may end up on the PS.

Shit, forgot Duke Ihenacho. **** Bolden. I think Denver carries all three because Montgomery provides depth at G if they wanna try Schofield at RT, maybe not, but my thinking is 5 players between LG-C-RG. If Schofield starts Justice is on the bubble, in which case they definitely keep Ramirez, Montgomery and Paradis.

I think Paradis is a definite PS candidate, though.

Simple Jaded
05-15-2014, 11:38 PM
Here is my projection (the guys in yellow are the ones I'm least sure about)

Offense (25)

QB: Manning - Osweiler - Dysert
RB: Ball - Anderson - Hillman - Thompson
WR: Thomas - Sanders - Welker - Latimer - Caldwell
TE: Thomas - Green - Tamme - Robinson

RT: Clark - Justice
RG: Vasquez
C: Ramirez - Montgomery
LG: Franklin - Harewood
LT: Clady - Schofield

Defense (25)

RE: Ware, Smith
DT: Vickerson, Williams
DT: Knighton, Unrein
LE: Wolfe, Jackson, Youboty

WLB: Trevathan, Barrow
MLB: Irving, Johnson

CB: Talib, Roby, Carter
CB: Harris, Webster
SS: Ward, Ihenacho
FS: Moore, Carter, Bruton

Special Teams (3)

Practice Squad (8)

QB Bryn Renner
RB Kapri Bibbs
WR Isaiah Burse
OT Vinston Painter
OC Matt Paradis
DT Mister Cobbie
WLB Corey Nelson
SLB Shaquil Barrett

It'd be sweet if Harewood could earn a spot, and I'm starting to wonder if Thompson is the UDFA they keep.

aulaza
05-16-2014, 08:32 AM
Yeah I feel like Harewood has a decent shot. The OL is probably the most intriguing position group.

I have Painter on the PS, but given what happened last year I doubt they would be able to sneak him through waivers. If so, they may choose to keep him as well and carry 10 OL.

BroncoWave
05-16-2014, 08:38 AM
First SWAG at the Broncos eight-man Practice Squad:

Gerell Robinson/TE
Shaquil Barrett/LB
Juwan Thompson/RB
John Youboty/DE
Corey Nelson/LB
Isaiah Burse/WR
Aslam Sterling/OT
Jordan Sullen/FS

Needs more Mister Cobble.

LTC Pain
05-16-2014, 12:14 PM
Needs more Mister Cobble.

I did say "SWAG (Stupid Wild-Assed Guess)" :):):)

7DnBrnc53
05-17-2014, 04:45 AM
OFFENSE

QB: Manning, Osweiler, Dysert
RB: Ball, Bibbs, Anderson
H-Back: Virgil Green
WR: D. Thomas, Sanders, Welker, Latimer, Caldwell
TE: J. Thomas, V. Green, Tamme, Robinson
OT: Clady, Clark, Painter, Schofield
OG: Franklin, Vasquez, Garland
C: Ramirez, Montgomery

DEFENSE

DE: Jackson, Ware, Wolfe, Smith
DT: Knighton, Williams, Vickerson, Unrein
MLB: Irving, Barrow
WLB: Trevathan, Johnson
CB: Talib, Harris, Roby, Webster, Carter
FS: Moore, Carter
SS: Ward, Ihenacho, Bruton

SPECIALISTS

KR: Sanders
PR: Welker

NOTABLE CUTS

Marvin Austin, Jamar Chaney, Joel Dreessen, Sione Fua, Winston Justice, Ronnie Hillman, Ryan Miller

PRACTICE SQUAD

Isaiah Burse, Brennan Clay, Mister Cobble, Bennie Fowler, Corey Nelson, Matt Paradis, Juwan Thompson, John Youboty

BroncoBasil
05-17-2014, 05:32 AM
I think this is a make or break camp for Hillman and T. Carter. I could see both being cut

LTC Pain
05-17-2014, 08:50 AM
I think this is a make or break camp for Hillman and T. Carter. I could see both being cut

Agree about Carter. He sucks and could easily be replaced with a better CB off the waiver wire. Hillman I'm not so sure will be cut (yet).

BroncoBasil
05-17-2014, 11:15 AM
With Clay and the CSU RB in camp with CJ...Hillman needs to show something and hold on to the ball.

G_Money
05-17-2014, 12:51 PM
Juwan Thompson is like the Bruton of RBs: has enough good attributes to be a backup at his position, but the majority of his chances of making the team lie with his excellent special teams play.

Hillman is a bubble baby heading into training camp and in need of a good showing not just because of the RBs pushing for his #2 or #3 slot, but because the dude who MIGHT be in the discussion for #4 has skills in other areas that Hillman can't match.

Fingers crossed for good camps for all the running backs. I'd rather have a great competition between worthy competitors than a who-sucks-less discussion at the end of August.

broncohead
05-17-2014, 05:26 PM
Hillman might get a roster spot if he doesn't screw up even if the UDFA RBs show promise. The UDFAs can be placed on the practice squad where Hillman cannot

silkamilkamonico
05-17-2014, 05:46 PM
Hillman won't have any issues getgting a roster spot if it can prove to hang on to the ball. IMO he certainly is a better back than Bibbs, Thompson, and Clay.

Jsteve01
05-18-2014, 12:07 AM
Hillman won't have any issues getgting a roster spot if it can prove to hang on to the ball. IMO he certainly is a better back than Bibbs, Thompson, and Clay. don't agree. Bibbs had a better season last year than hillman ever did. He's bigger faster and runs with more authority. Bibbs was hurt a ton by the foot injury during the predraft process... Oh and he's cocky, but I never saw him caught from behind at csu. When he gets to the second level he's gone

Simple Jaded
05-18-2014, 12:37 AM
OFFENSE

DEFENSE

SPECIALISTS

NOTABLE CUTS

Marvin Austin, Jamar Chaney, Joel Dreessen, Sione Fua, Winston Justice, Ronnie Hillman, Ryan Miller

PRACTICE SQUAD

Isaiah Burse, Brennan Clay, Mister Cobble, Bennie Fowler, Corey Nelson, Matt Paradis, Juwan Thompson, John Youboty

I can't see Denver keeping 3 RB's and 9 OL, especially if the RB's play well in preseason. Also, iirc, the practice squad roster limit was changed to 10.

7DnBrnc53
05-18-2014, 02:35 AM
I can't see Denver keeping 3 RB's and 9 OL, especially if the RB's play well in preseason. Also, iirc, the practice squad roster limit was changed to 10.

If they keep another RB at the expense of an O-lineman on that list, then Garland would go, and Thompson probably makes the team. If not, maybe Burse makes the team if he impresses as a returner, or Austin makes the team if the light comes on, and he shows that he may finally start to live up to his 2011 draft position.

LTC Pain
05-18-2014, 09:31 AM
If they keep another RB at the expense of an O-lineman on that list, then Garland would go, and Thompson probably makes the team. If not, maybe Burse makes the team if he impresses as a returner, or Austin makes the team if the light comes on, and he shows that he may finally start to live up to his 2011 draft position.

If Austin makes the team then Unrein is gone. Pot Roast, Sly, Vick and Austin could be the best group of DTs the Broncos ever had!

NightTerror218
05-18-2014, 12:22 PM
If Austin makes the team then Unrein is gone. Pot Roast, Sly, Vick and Austin could be the best group of DTs the Broncos ever had!

Will have to see how Big Vick is doing after his hip. I have heard a thing. But I think we have plenty of depth at DT with Jackson and wolfe able to slide inside. DE depth is more of a concern.

As for depth around the rest of team. I am excepting a shake up to see new players on team who are better ST players.

LTC Pain
05-18-2014, 12:36 PM
Will have to see how Big Vick is doing after his hip. I have heard a thing. But I think we have plenty of depth at DT with Jackson and wolfe able to slide inside. DE depth is more of a concern.

As for depth around the rest of team. I am excepting a shake up to see new players on team who are better ST players.

Our DE depth is Ware, Wolfe, Jackson and Smith. Not sure if the Broncos carried more than four DEs on the 53 man roster last season? If yes, then there will be competition for that 5th spot.

broncohead
05-18-2014, 04:06 PM
Our DE depth is Ware, Wolfe, Jackson and Smith. Not sure if the Broncos carried more than four DEs on the 53 man roster last season? If yes, then there will be competition for that 5th spot.

Beside Smith who is unproven at this point our DE depth is pretty good.

MOtorboat
05-18-2014, 04:19 PM
Beside Smith who is unproven at this point our DE depth is pretty good.

Miller needs to be counted even if he's not listed as DE.

MOtorboat
05-18-2014, 04:23 PM
Defensive line: Knighton, Vickerson, Williams, Unrein, Wolfe, Jackson
Rush-ends: Miller, Ware, Smith
Linebacker: Trevathan, Irving, Barrow, Johnson

It makes more sense if you look at it this way, IMHO.

NightTerror218
05-18-2014, 11:10 PM

We lost 3 DE and signed Ware (one was signed to replace wolf).

underrated29
05-19-2014, 12:12 AM
Dressen will be cut as soon as the injury settlement is done. I also really happen to like him. More than Virgil but that's me. He IMO is our only complete te on the roster but he is a goner.

Simple Jaded
05-19-2014, 12:29 AM
Dressen will be cut as soon as the injury settlement is done. I also really happen to like him. More than Virgil but that's me. He IMO is our only complete te on the roster but he is a goner.

Not so fast, he's 6-4/255, 4.68. . .can he play MLB?

aulaza
05-19-2014, 02:45 AM
OFFENSE

DEFENSE

SPECIALISTS

NOTABLE CUTS

PRACTICE SQUAD

I make that only 51, you have 24 on both offence and defence. Definitely room for a 4th RB

Jsteve01
05-19-2014, 06:54 AM
Defensive line: Knighton, Vickerson, Williams, Unrein, Wolfe, Jackson
Rush-ends: Miller, Ware, Smith
Linebacker: Trevathan, Irving, Barrow, Johnson

It makes more sense if you look at it this way, IMHO. the similarities physicallybetween q smith and ware are striking. I'm excited to watch him develop while learning from demarcus

Jsteve01
05-19-2014, 06:56 AM
Dressen will be cut as soon as the injury settlement is done. I also really happen to like him. More than Virgil but that's me. He IMO is our only complete te on the roster but he is a goner. I agree. Not as dynamic in the receiving game as tamme but a far more well rounded player

TXBRONC
05-19-2014, 07:17 AM
don't agree. Bibbs had a better season last year than hillman ever did. He's bigger faster and runs with more authority. Bibbs was hurt a ton by the foot injury during the predraft process... Oh and he's cocky, but I never saw him caught from behind at csu. When he gets to the second level he's gone

Yes Bibbs had great season last year but he only played one season of football. IIRC he was hurt as much by his off field issues as anything else.

VonDoom
05-19-2014, 01:10 PM
As of today, the roster is at the maximum allowed 90 players, due to these six transactions:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Six-Transactions-Bring-Roster-to-90/187c6b05-8f92-4d85-910a-12a041614b24

No punter competition after all, and even worse ... no Mister Cobble!

Cugel
05-19-2014, 01:23 PM
I make that only 51, you have 24 on both offence and defence. Definitely room for a 4th RB

Sanders did return some punts and kickoffs in 2012, but only returned a few kickoffs and no punts in 2013. Not at all sure he's going to be the return guy, although they will certainly give him a look. If he's the #2 WR (probable) then they won't want him returning kicks. If for some reason Latimer makes an immediate impact and gets the #2 WR starting job, then yes, Sanders to return kicks makes some sense. But, that's unlikely that a rookie WR can jump right in and master Peyton Manning's offense.

G_Money
05-19-2014, 01:40 PM
Interesting. We're gonna have a UDFA war at KR/PR between Burse and Hardin. Mr. Mister Cobble obviously didn't bring it over the 3 days (I feel kinda bad for him - it's not easy to be 330 pounds and playing for a roster spot in the thin air).

Youboty I feel worst for, though. Word was they liked him, but that Achilles injury doomed him. Worst timing ever.

tomjonesrocks
05-19-2014, 02:02 PM
Hmm. That punter cut is surprising sand disappointing. Seemed like Colquitt could have lost his job...

MOtorboat
05-19-2014, 02:04 PM
Where we're going, we don't need punters.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-20-2014, 10:58 AM
Where we're going, we don't need punters.

AH YEAAHH!!!

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c206/chrissy1088/mesis.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/chrissy1088/media/mesis.jpg.html)

LTC Pain
05-20-2014, 12:07 PM

I'm wondering if the development of Robinson as a TE could hasten Tamme or Dreesen's departure from the roster?

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Robinson-Gets-Every-Rep/8cca542c-e8c6-4aee-b443-83f76159d3d4

Traveler
05-20-2014, 01:51 PM
Anyone have any feedback on the chances of either Ramon Harewood or Ryan Miller claiming a spot on the roster?

Jsteve01
05-20-2014, 09:24 PM

I'm wondering if the development of Robinson as a TE could hasten Tamme or Dreesen's departure from the roster?

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Robinson-Gets-Every-Rep/8cca542c-e8c6-4aee-b443-83f76159d3d4 nate Jackson says no. I like Robinson though. Hope it happens

LTC Pain
05-21-2014, 08:46 AM
nate Jackson says no. I like Robinson though. Hope it happens

Robinson is up to 240 and getting stronger. I hope it happens as well.

http://predominantlyorange.com/2014/05/20/denver-broncos-te-gerell-robinson-added-nearly-20-pounds/

Cugel
05-21-2014, 01:31 PM

I would think that the Broncos would want to keep at least 4 RBs this season. Last year they had Knowshon who was a reliable veteran who had proved himself down the stretch of the 2012 season, yet they still had C.J. Anderson on the active roster even though he only appeared in five games and had 38 yards. This year they're starting Montee Ball who is really unproven at best (they have confidence in him), but he's never been the #1 RB for a full season. And behind him they've got nothing at all.

Ronnie Hillman has been a huge disappointment so far. While they haven't given up on him, they couldn't rely on him at all last year. The only reason he isn't gone along with Trindon Holliday is that he's Elway's pick and Elway doesn't want to admit they wasted a draft pick on Hillman. He did.

C.J. Anderson. I'm not sure what the hype about C.J. is. He had 9 attempts in 2 games, against the Patriots and the Redskins, total: 38 yards. Do they expect him to do better next season? Sure. Is it a given? No. Can they rely on him if Ball gets hurt? Who knows? He's totally unproven.

Pray For Rain: All the rest of the RBs on the roster are total mysteries, not only to starting, but even to playing in the NFL. Is Capri Bibbs really good enough to start in the NFL? He wasn't even drafted. Lots of teams didn't think so. I'm rooting for him, but that's because of his connection with CSU. In reality if he were a graduate of FSU or something, I would not expect much out of him. He's relatively small, and not very fast. He's a tough runner, as far as that goes and there's a lot to like. But, he might simply be another in a very long line of RBs who look good against college opponents, but against much bigger, faster defensive players in the NFL are physically over matched.

broncohead
05-21-2014, 01:46 PM
Hillman isn't on the roster still because "Elway doesn't want to admit he wasted a pick."

Cugel
05-21-2014, 02:06 PM
Hillman isn't on the roster still because "Elway doesn't want to admit he wasted a pick."

Do they have confidence in Ronnie Hillman really? :coffee:

Did they use him last year? He played in the first 7 games and had 55 attempts. Then he fumbled against the Jags, and the next weeks' fumble against the Colts that everybody remembers. They didn't use him the rest of the year. He didn't play at all in the Post-season. Not one carry.

Does that sound like they really trust him to be the feature back if Montee Ball goes down? That sounds to me like a guy about to hit the bricks. Except that Elway drafted him and is going to give him yet another chance. If he has one more bad fumble in the preseason, I'd say he gets cut, especially if one or more of the rookie RBs comes in and impresses the coaches.

broncohead
05-21-2014, 06:45 PM
He has ball security issues no one is saying otherwise. He has to fix that. Other then that RBs like him have a role on offenses who choose to utilize it. Sproles and Woodhead are good examples. Neither can run inside but get them in space they make plays. He will never be a feature back or full time back even if Ball goes down. He will always be a complement. I really liked the way he was playing last season besides the fumbles but that's something that can be fixed if he so chooses to work on it

Simple Jaded
05-21-2014, 08:23 PM
People are overreacting with Hillman, he's not the first RB to fumble a ******* football. This isn't like Holiday making some kind of mistake almost every time he touches the ball.

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
05-21-2014, 08:42 PM
I thought Hillman was more of Foxy's pick, given the university both attended.

SWotRR
06-07-2014, 11:47 PM
ESPN's take on our roster via MHR since you have to be a ESPN Insider (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11012674/nfl-ranking-rosters-all-32-teams) to read past 1 and 2. Denver Broncos rank third in pro football focus nfl roster rankings (http://www.milehighreport.com/2014/6/7/5788600/denver-broncos-rank-third-in-pro-football-focus-nfl-roster-rankings).

wcben
06-08-2014, 01:04 PM
Gotta hold onto Virgil Green. He could be this year's secret weapon and a short yardage option if and when Injuries happen to either the RB or TE position groups.

VonDoom
06-11-2014, 08:25 AM
Nice article on Chase Vaughn, a guy who's unlikely to make this team, but I love a good story like this:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/79212678/chase-vaughn-denver-broncos-ufl-cfl-csu-pueblo#!XoAit

Listed at 6-foot-1, 242 pounds, and since converted to his college position of D-end after entering camp as a linebacker, Vaughn's foray into the NFL marks his fifth pro football league. It seemed unthinkable just weeks prior, when he was answering phones as a wellness coach at a regional hospital call center. He had stints over the past four years in the now-defunct United Football League, something called the Indoor Football League, the Canadian Football League and then the Arena Football League last year.

"It was weird at first," recalled Vaughn. "I thought I would cry or something like that, but I think it just took time for it to hit me. I've gotten used to it now. I feel like I'm supposed to be here. But yeah, just being across the locker room from guys you play with on 'Madden,' it's just crazy. I'm trying to keep focused on what's in front of me, but, I mean, at the same time, I'm soaking in all of their Super Bowl trophies. I'm trying to read every little saying on the wall, looking at peoples' faces like, 'Oh, that's so-and-so, that's so-and-so,' but still trying to act like I belong here without being like a fan."

NightTerror218
06-11-2014, 09:09 PM
Wolfe is solid. But can malik push him and maybe steal the starting DE spot from him?

broncohead
06-12-2014, 02:46 AM
Wolfe is solid. But can malik push him and maybe steal the starting DE spot from him?

I wouldn't doubt if Jackson starts. Wolfe has been out and Jackson played pretty good.

OrangeHoof
06-12-2014, 02:30 PM
Didn't read the whole thread but Dreesen has experience as a long-snapper. If he's anywhere near as good as Brewer and we can afford Dreesen's salary (two big ifs), you can keep him on the roster that way.

Ziggy
06-12-2014, 02:41 PM

I'd be surprised. The last time Wolfe played healthy he commanded double teams. Now he's up to 290, he's healthy, and he's hungry. I expect some impact from him on the inside this season on passing downs. Teams are going to have to keep backs and tight ends in to block if they want to double team Von, Demarcus, and Wolfe.

Buff
06-12-2014, 02:48 PM
I'd be surprised. The last time Wolfe played healthy he commanded double teams. Now he's up to 290, he's healthy, and he's hungry. I expect some impact from him on the inside this season on passing downs. Teams are going to have to keep backs and tight ends in to block if they want to double team Von, Demarcus, and Wolfe.

I'm not saying you're wrong - but I am saying I don't remember a time when Wolfe was commanding double teams.

NightTerror218
06-12-2014, 10:14 PM

I am just saying malik has been good.

JPPT1974
06-12-2014, 10:44 PM
TE's are not just needed to catch but block. That is all 32 teams usually carry two TE's to do one of each!

VonDoom
06-14-2014, 09:39 AM
It's been suggested elsewhere that we bring back Mike Adams as a veteran presence in the safety corps. Well, that option is off the table now:

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter · 2h

Colts announced they agreed to terms with former Broncos, Browns and 49ers safety Mike Adams.

tomjonesrocks
06-14-2014, 11:07 AM
It's been suggested elsewhere that we bring back Mike Adams as a veteran presence in the safety corps. Well, that option is off the table now: Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter · 2h Colts announced they agreed to terms with former Broncos, Browns and 49ers safety Mike Adams.

That sucks. He played well last season.

NightTerror218
06-14-2014, 05:37 PM
It's been suggested elsewhere that we bring back Mike Adams as a veteran presence in the safety corps. Well, that option is off the table now:

Colts announced they agreed to terms with former Broncos, Browns and 49ers safety Mike Adams.

He is obsolete IMO with ward now.

LTC Pain
06-15-2014, 08:35 AM
He is obsolete IMO with ward now.

And with Quinton Carter all healed up and looking good in OTAs.

Simple Jaded
06-15-2014, 09:40 PM
And with Quinton Carter all healed up and looking good in OTAs.

Yeah hopefully we finally get to see what the BFD is about Carter, what we saw on the field sure as hell didn't warrant such patience.

TXBRONC
06-16-2014, 10:07 AM

We really didn'tneed him as veteran presence. Talib and Ward are both veterans that can do that. It would have been great to have him around for depth because if one of the starting safeties goes down he could have filled in and done descent job.

VonDoom
06-16-2014, 03:05 PM
We really didn't him as veteran presence. Talib and Ward are both veterans that can do that. It would have been great to have him around for depth because if one of the starting safeties goes down he could have filled in and done descent job.

I agree with that last part - he knew the system and played well for us last year. As far as veteran presence, I guess I meant someone who would be more helpful off the field as he would on; Adams is 33, and has played ten years in the NFL. That's a lot of experience. Talib (28 y/o, 6 seasons) and Ward (27 y/o, 4 seasons) are guys in their prime who will be stars here, not role players as Adams would have been.