PDA

View Full Version : Some film on our other undrafted players.

Northman
05-11-2014, 07:16 AM
Juwan Thompson- RB (Duke)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mup0L6eRBmE

Kenny Anunike- DE (Duke)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0HRRUpdET4

Bennie Fowler- WR (Michigan St)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDPopFP7pGY

Jordan Sullen- CB (Tulane)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmRSkz4j6AM

Steven Clark- P (Auburn)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RjXtGZoZ7w

Northman
05-11-2014, 07:16 AM
Brennan Clay- RB (Oklahoma)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uno5Ki9_Lw

Isaiah Burse- WR/KR (Fresno St)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKAD9_MVe0w

Byrn Renner- QB (North Carolina)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmOrttJLmtQ

Joel
05-11-2014, 07:32 AM
We signed a punter? Didn't Colquitt sign a big 4 year extension less than a year ago?

Northman
05-11-2014, 07:49 AM
No idea, but if the punter is undrafted i think it makes very little difference in the grand scheme of things.

Joel
05-11-2014, 08:15 AM
No idea, but if the punter is undrafted i think it makes very little difference in the grand scheme of things.
True, I'm just trying to figure out why 1) anyone would sign an undrafted punter in the first place and 2) why WE'D sign one when we've got Colquitt. It might make sense if the guy's a decent placekicker—except Prater just had probably the best season EVER for a kicker; he set two records and only missed ONCE (FG or PAT, and the miss was from 50 yds.)

We don't need a kicker, and even if we did I'd think there'd be plenty who just missed the cut but are still better than any UDFA. Seems like a weird signing for anyone, but especially us.

For the record, Thompsons highlights were pretty sharp; good elusiveness, power, and receiving, with nice speed. Hope he can pass block; starting Ball with only Hillman behind him is scary.

Northman
05-11-2014, 08:21 AM
True, I'm just trying to figure out why 1) anyone would sign an undrafted punter in the first place and 2) why WE'D sign one when we've got Colquitt. It might make sense if the guy's a decent placekicker—except Prater just had probably the best season EVER for a kicker; he set two records and only missed ONCE (FG or PAT, and the miss was from 50 yds.)

We don't need a kicker, and even if we did I'd think there'd be plenty who just missed the cut but are still better than any UDFA. Seems like a weird signing for anyone, but especially us.

For the record, Thompsons highlights were pretty sharp; good elusiveness, power, and receiving, with nice speed. Hope he can pass block; starting Ball with only Hillman behind him is scary.

Is Hillman the bonafide 2nd guy or is Anderson? I admit im not comfortable at all with Hillman right now.

Tned
05-11-2014, 08:25 AM

They might want him for nothing more than to eat up TC punts. Help them evaluate kick returners. Beyond that, they might have seen something they like in him, so want to bring him in and get the team familiar with him and him familiar with the team, so that if something happens to Colquitt, he would be the first person they call.

Joel
05-11-2014, 09:04 AM
Is Hillman the bonafide 2nd guy or is Anderson? I admit im not comfortable at all with Hillman right now.
Ya got me; with the new baby, I've paid little attention since a month or so after the SB. I'd like Jeremiah Johnson, but Google says he just signed with the Argonauts. I'm open to Anderson but haven't seen enough in actual games to be sure either way. Theoretically, that's what camp's for, but if camp/preseason were game conditions no one would wonder about Anderson.

They might want him for nothing more than to eat up TC punts. Help them evaluate kick returners.
Makes as much sense as anything, I guess; an UDFA punter is probably the cheapest way to do that short of posting fliers at the grocery store.

Beyond that, they might have seen something they like in him, so want to bring him in and get the team familiar with him and him familiar with the team, so that if something happens to Colquitt, he would be the first person they call.
If something happened to Colquitt, heaven forbid, it's hard to believe there aren't tons of former NFL punters out there better than a rookie who wasn't worth any of 32 7th round picks.

Makes me wonder if he has some hidden undeveloped talent we don't know about, like maybe he's some super-fast version of Darren Bennett and ends up playind dimeback or something. There aren't many Night Train Lanes or Rod Smiths among any crop of UDFAs, but signing a PUNTER makes me wonder if Elway lost a bet (or made one at a bar; "you'll gimme $100 if I can get an undrafted punter to the Pro Bowl? You're on, pal!" :tongue:)

CoachChaz
05-11-2014, 09:04 AM
null

Do you even know the roster? Only Hillman as a backup?

CoachChaz
05-11-2014, 09:08 AM

My guess is at the moment they might like CJ more. They felt confident enough in him last year to promote him when Hillman choked. He didn't get a ton of opportunities, but I think his potential is greater.

Joel
05-11-2014, 10:04 AM
Do you even know the roster? Only Hillman as a backup?
It may be true guys who suck in practice don't magically become own games (though there've been big exceptions) but it doesn't follow that practice studs are game studs. Until/unless Anderson does something in a game that actually means something rather than against teammates who don't want to injure him or scrubs trying to make a roster, I'm waiting and seeing.

Tell the truth: If Manning has another 100 yd day in Foxboro but Ball carries us to a 4th quarter tie before gasping and limping to the sideline, is Anderson or [insert UDFA here] really who you want trotting out to win it? Against Brady, Belicheat and the perennial Broncos-killer we faced in the last AFCCG, with playoff homefield at stake?

Ziggy
05-11-2014, 10:09 AM
We signed a punter? Didn't Colquitt sign a big 4 year extension less than a year ago?

Colquitt was abysmal last season. He got paid and then got bad. I expect this punter to have a shot to make this roster.

Ravage!!!
05-11-2014, 11:07 AM
you sign p unters for allllll kinds of reasons. Bring them into camp, let them punt to the guys you want to test for return duties so your main punter isn't spending alllllll day punting the ball. Not to mention, you bring a guy in, and he punts to get a feel for you and the team, so if your punter ever has to miss some time, you can see if he's worth signing for a short term deal.

its really not that big of a deal.

But Colquit will be our guy.

Jsteve01
05-11-2014, 11:30 AM
you sign p unters for allllll kinds of reasons. Bring them into camp, let them punt to the guys you want to test for return duties so your main punter isn't spending alllllll day punting the ball. Not to mention, you bring a guy in, and he punts to get a feel for you and the team, so if your punter ever has to miss some time, you can see if he's worth signing for a short term deal.

its really not that big of a deal.

But Colquit will be our guy.this guy looks to be legit. Only 4 punts returned last year. Britton as much ad I've been a fan wad terrible last year.

As to Anderson. He earned his stripes in preseason last year and was good enough to earn a spot. He's a classic one cut guy. Low center of gravity who runs with a nasty streak. I also love Bibbs potential

turftoad
05-11-2014, 11:32 AM
Bennie Fowler looks good.

MOtorboat
05-11-2014, 12:06 PM
Half the punters in the league were ******* undrafted.

Why would we sign an undrafted punter? Good grief.

G_Money
05-11-2014, 01:44 PM
Colquitt's getting paid, but we can save 3 mil a year if we decide the new kid is better. Competition is good for everyone, even the good ones.

The Dukie Thompson also has an interesting chance of making the roster. He's a special teams ace who still has talent to go get on the field as a running back. We picked up several RBs and several LBs and we'll sort it out in camp. Nothing wrong with that. Let em throw down for roster spots on last year's AFC Champs. It can only help us.

~G

BroncoWave
05-11-2014, 01:45 PM
Where are the Mister Cobble highlights, dammit!!!

Northman
05-11-2014, 02:01 PM
I couldnt find any. lol

MOtorboat
05-11-2014, 02:08 PM
Mr. Mister Cobble.

MOtorboat
05-11-2014, 03:56 PM
Because I was curious...

All UDFA:

2013 - Ryan Doerr, Kansas State
2009 - Britton Colquitt, Tennessee
2008 - Brett Kern, Toledo
2007 - Sam Paulescu, Oregon State (signed originally by Dallas, cut, signed by Denver)
2000 - Micah Knorr, Utah State (signed originally by Dallas, cut, signed by Denver)
1993 - Tom Rouen, Colorado

The only drafted punter on a Denver roster in the last 20 years was Todd Sauerbrun (drafted by Chicago). Mike Horan was originally drafted by Atlanta in round 9 (so he would likely be UDFA today).

BroncoWave
05-11-2014, 04:10 PM
I couldnt find any. lol

That is unacceptable!