PDA

View Full Version : Player Preview- Kapri Bibbs

Ziggy
05-11-2014, 03:12 AM
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2014/0510/20140510__Kapri%20Bibbs-broncos~p1.jpg

We've got some time before training camp starts, so I thought I'd start previewing some of the newer Denver Broncos. Let's start with one of our local boys.

Kapri Bibbs- 5'9 212

Bibbs intrigues me more than any UDFA that Elway and company brought in. He only played one year of college football, but what a year it was. 1741 yards, 6.2 YPC and a whopping 31 TD's. He fumbled only 3 times in 281 carries. During his one and only season with the Rams, Bibbs ranked No. 6 among all FBS players with 1,741 rushing yards and tied for the nation's lead in rushing and total touchdowns (31) and points scored (186). Bibbs scored three or more touchdowns a school-record eight times in 2013 to tie Barry Sanders' NCAA record from 1988, including a streak of five such games in a row through the New Mexico game (Nov. 16). To everyone's surprise Kapri decided to declare for the draft this year. With only one year of film and a poor 40 time at the combine, he went undrafted. According to his agent, the poor time was due to an aggravated turf to injury during the combine workouts. The film shows a much faster player.

I believe that the 40 time wasn't the only thing that dropped him in the draft. Bibbs has some serious maturity issues. He missed his first season at CSU due to academic ineligibility. After the team played CU he got into a twitter war with some of the fans. He also had a brush with the law at a party that ended in a mini riot last July. He was charged with unreasonable noise in the riot. He'll need to do some growing up soon.

Bibbs has great balance and vision. Despite the combine numbers, he also plays with elite game speed. He wasn't asked to catch the ball or pick up the blitz often, so those are both unknowns. Here are some highlights:

?v=tLXL4D_t768

?v=PNiDhiywbVw
High School Highlights- Bibbs was the player of the year in Illinois

?v=Jfygd3sLe1k
This one was with a turf toe injury

ShaneFalco
05-11-2014, 03:14 AM
like him alot

olathebroncofan
05-11-2014, 03:23 AM
So is he going to be this year's CJ Anderson? I think that was his name.

Northman
05-11-2014, 06:31 AM
Too hard to say how he will be. CSU really didnt play anyone except Bama who totally decimated them. Bibbs had like 5 carries for 12 yds in that game. Im always a little sketchy when they havent really faced any real competition at the college level.

Valar Morghulis
05-11-2014, 07:03 AM
He does look like a bit of a steal.....but...the thing about all these college records, they dont mean that much.

Kellen Moore is the most winning QB in history, i believe he may have taken this title from the illustrious colt mccoy
Hillman is SD State all time rushing record holder (i think)
Mark Ingram was a heisman winner

(I actually thought Kellen Moore would transition well to the NFL - but enough about that!)

So yeah, it looks like he might be a great pick up (and i have made it clear on here in the past that i trust JFE's decision making when it comes to player acquisition - eg i love CJ Anderson and will be drafting him in fantasy this year) but i just dont buy into all the stats that form such a big part of the media evaluation particularly when it is about collegiate level players that never faced quality oppostion week in week out.

tomjonesrocks
05-11-2014, 09:05 AM
Denver can definitely use the help. One of the few areas where this regime has come up short in evaluation is RB IMO. They passed on Martin, missed on Hillman, and should have taken Lacy last season.

So hope he can help.

Dzone
05-11-2014, 09:05 AM
One thing is obvious, Bibbs runs with a lot more authority and power than Hillman. Hillman runs like he is looking for a place to lay down

BroncoWave
05-11-2014, 09:06 AM
So is this the next "next Terrell Davis"?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-11-2014, 09:17 AM
He does look like a bit of a steal.....but...the thing about all these college records, they dont mean that much.

Kellen Moore is the most winning QB in history, i believe he may have taken this title from the illustrious colt mccoy
Hillman is SD State all time rushing record holder (i think)
Mark Ingram was a heisman winner

(I actually thought Kellen Moore would transition well to the NFL - but enough about that!)

So yeah, it looks like he might be a great pick up (and i have made it clear on here in the past that i trust JFE's decision making when it comes to player acquisition - eg i love CJ Anderson and will be drafting him in fantasy this year) but i just dont buy into all the stats that form such a big part of the media evaluation particularly when it is about collegiate level players that never faced quality oppostion week in week out.

Kellen is Matt Stafford's backup in Detroit, so it's not as if he washed out.

Valar Morghulis
05-11-2014, 09:24 AM
Kellen is Matt Stafford's backup in Detroit, so it's not as if he washed out.

He was undrafted and last i heard he was third string - but nonetheless, he was just an example to highlight how big collegiate stats do not equate to making it NFL level.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-11-2014, 09:58 AM
He was undrafted and last i heard he was third string - but nonetheless, he was just an example to highlight how big collegiate stats do not equate to making it NFL level.

I believe his rookie year he was third and last year he was the backup, but.yes, I agree with what you're saying.

Ziggy
05-11-2014, 10:01 AM
So is this the next "next Terrell Davis"?

Yes, that's exactly what I was getting at. He might play a duel role and be the next Rod Smith as well.

Joel
05-11-2014, 10:07 AM
So is he going to be this year's CJ Anderson? I think that was his name.
Those who know the roster strongly suggest Anderson's this years Montee Ball. :tongue:

LTC Pain
05-11-2014, 10:10 AM
One thing is obvious, Bibbs runs with a lot more authority and power than Hillman. Hillman runs like he is looking for a place to lay down

Hillman strikes me as a runner who anticipates bouncing off the pile and landing on his backside. Upon contact, play over.

Ravage!!!
05-11-2014, 10:50 AM
Hillman isn't nearly as bad as you guys are spouting off about. His running is fine, its his fumbles that are bad.

tomjonesrocks
05-11-2014, 10:57 AM
Hillman isn't nearly as bad as you guys are spouting off about. His running is fine, its his fumbles that are bad.

IMO he's a terrible fit for this offense. Denver likes to keep substitutions at a minimum, so Hillman gets called on to go up the gut for tough tough short yards and whatnot--idiocy.

If Denver wants to call the same play no matter who is in there, he's a stupid choice.

Slick
05-11-2014, 11:58 AM
Hillman is still really young. There's still a chance that he develops into a solid contributor.

Valar Morghulis
05-11-2014, 12:05 PM
Hillman is still really young. There's still a chance that he develops into a solid contributor.

I don't know if he will ever get the chance - he is always in Fox's dog house!

dogfish
05-11-2014, 12:42 PM

actually, his "running" sucks also. . . kid wouldn't have a chance at this year's roster if he hadn't been a high pick. . . this season should be the last of him, though. . .

Jsteve01
05-11-2014, 01:08 PM

actually, his "running" sucks also. . . kid wouldn't have a chance at this year's roster if he hadn't been a high pick. . . this season should be the last of him, though. . .. Have I mentioned how disgusted I was that we traded up for him when we could have stood pat and drafted turbin or miller? And thats not hindsight crap. I was saying that during that draft and the past two seasons before they developed and he regressed. The obsession with game breakers is freaking ridiculous. I'll take a grinder with some pop who breaks the game by breaking the will of his opponent to continue getting hit in the mouth. There are only so many Faulks, Sanders andpetersons out there and they are once in a generation players. Plenty of consistent emmit smith, Terrell Davis and Walter Payton types to be had for value and they get hurt and fumble less often than these scat backs

dogfish
05-11-2014, 01:18 PM
. Have I mentioned how disgusted I was that we traded up for him when we could have stood pat and drafted turbin or miller? And thats not hindsight crap. I was saying that during that draft and the past two seasons before they developed and he regressed.

me too. . . just a bad pick, it happens. . .

G_Money
05-11-2014, 01:28 PM
What I like about Bibbs is he runs AWAY from people. I watched Hillman, even in college, get caught from behind by safeties and linebackers in dead sprints. How you gonna be a speed back and get caught by linebackers?

People don't catch Bibbs in the open field. He has decent leg drive even though he's not exactly stout. He's gonna have trouble in this offense though because he's not a skilled pass-protector. Not that he should be with his limited experience, just understand that we can put him on the field for designed plays where the RB leaves the backfield or is getting the ball, but not when it's an either-or for whether he's supposed to blitz protect or leak into the flat.

That's asking too much of the rook. I do like his upside though, if he can keep his head screwed on straight. I've also been down on Hillman since the draft, though, so I'm not at all unhappy to bring in competition for that role, even if it is a raw rook with maturity issues.

~G

Northman
05-11-2014, 01:34 PM

Unfortunately thats a major issue for any RB. If you cant trust them to hold onto the ball everything else becomes irrelevant. Does a team no good if he makes a 60 yd run only to fumble the ball and give it back to the team, etc.

G_Money
05-11-2014, 01:45 PM
And Hillman wasn't exactly ball-secure in college either. Little guys often have little hands, and can't hold onto the ball well. It's not always true, but if you're smaller then you'd better tuck that ball away solidly. Hang on to the rock. It's one of the best ways to keep your job.

~G

BroncoWave
05-11-2014, 01:46 PM
And Hillman wasn't exactly ball-secure in college either. Little guys often have little hands, and can't hold onto the ball well. It's not always true, but if you're smaller then you'd better tuck that ball away solidly. Hang on to the rock. It's one of the best ways to keep your job.

~G

See: Holliday, Trindon

HORSEPOWER 56
05-11-2014, 06:10 PM
I don't know much about Bibbs but I do like the guy from Duke - Juwann Thompson quite a bit. Hard runner and shifty for a bigger back.

Simple Jaded
05-11-2014, 06:55 PM
Yes, that's exactly what I was getting at. He might play a duel role and be the next Rod Smith as well.

Can he play MLB?

TXBRONC
05-11-2014, 07:22 PM
Can he play MLB?

The linebacker that Denver drafted from LSU supposedly is capable of being a mike linebacker. That's what Mayock said on Saturday.

Jsteve01
05-11-2014, 07:43 PM
I don't know much about Bibbs but I do like the guy from Duke - Juwann Thompson quite a bit. Hard runner and shifty for a bigger back.. He actually played safety in college. Good athlete

dogfish
05-11-2014, 07:52 PM
. He actually played safety in college. Good athlete

so we're gonna move him to safety?

chef will be pleased. . . moseph, not so much. . .

TXBRONC
05-11-2014, 08:53 PM
I don't know if he will ever get the chance - he is always in Fox's dog house!

So was Moreno when Fox first arrived.

BroncoWave
05-11-2014, 08:58 PM
So was Moreno when Fox first arrived.

The difference is that Moreno was actually a productive player his first two years in the NFL. It's easier for a guy who has started and been productive to get out of the doghouse. Not so much for a guy like Hillman who has shown little to nothing.

Here is a comparison of their first two seasons:

Moreno: 1726 rsh yds, 12 TD, 585 rec yds, 5 TD
Hillman: 545 yds, 2 TD, 181 rec yds, 0 TD

If a player as productive as Moreno struggled to get back in Fox's good graces like he did, I don't see how Hillman really has any sort of chance. It wouldn't shock me if he's not on the opening 53 when week 1 rolls around.

Buff
05-12-2014, 01:20 PM
The difference is that Moreno was actually a productive player his first two years in the NFL. It's easier for a guy who has started and been productive to get out of the doghouse. Not so much for a guy like Hillman who has shown little to nothing.

Here is a comparison of their first two seasons:

Moreno: 1726 rsh yds, 12 TD, 585 rec yds, 5 TD
Hillman: 545 yds, 2 TD, 181 rec yds, 0 TD

If a player as productive as Moreno struggled to get back in Fox's good graces like he did, I don't see how Hillman really has any sort of chance. It wouldn't shock me if he's not on the opening 53 when week 1 rolls around.

Those stats are misleading because McDaniels stubbornly played Moreno virtually every down even when he was absolutely terrible. Hillman didn't have that luxury of second and third chances because we had better depth.

I personally don't understand why there is so much Hillman hate. He has shown flashes of ability and his ceiling is higher than Moreno's ever was because he can actually run fast. Given Moreno's path to success, I'm inclined to see how he develops in his 3rd year.

slim
05-12-2014, 01:31 PM
Those stats are misleading because McDaniels stubbornly played Moreno virtually every down even when he was absolutely terrible. Hillman didn't have that luxury of second and third chances because we had better depth.

I personally don't understand why there is so much Hillman hate. He has shown flashes of ability and his ceiling is higher than Moreno's ever was because he can actually run fast. Given Moreno's path to success, I'm inclined to see how he develops in his 3rd year.

He is not that fast, Buffalo. I'm not sure why you can't see that.

Buff
05-12-2014, 01:48 PM
He is not that fast, Buffalo. I'm not sure why you can't see that.

He's not that fast by NFL RB standards. But Moreno was so slow that I'm just happy to have a guy with average RB speed again. I was really hoping we'd draft a RB with elite speed.

G_Money
05-12-2014, 03:20 PM
Bibbs runs a 4.45 or so, Buff. His turf-toe-slowed time of 4.67 is what healthy Ball ran at the combine. Bibbs is hands-down the fastest RB we have now. He and Hillman would duke it out without pads on, but in pads I will bet money that Kapri is faster by a not-insignficant margin.

He doesn't fall down if you breathe on him, either. I dunno if Bibbs can learn fast enough to stick around and be a factor for this team, but athletically he's got gifts.

~G

BroncoJoe
05-12-2014, 03:29 PM
Bibbs runs a 4.45 or so, Buff. His turf-toe-slowed time of 4.67 is what healthy Ball ran at the combine. Bibbs is hands-down the fastest RB we have now. He and Hillman would duke it out without pads on, but in pads I will bet money that Kapri is faster by a not-insignficant margin.

He doesn't fall down if you breathe on him, either. I dunno if Bibbs can learn fast enough to stick around and be a factor for this team, but athletically he's got gifts.

~G

Buff will never like him. He's CSU.

Buff
05-12-2014, 03:50 PM
I'm not panning Bibbs so much as I'm saying wait-and-see on Hillman. IMO he's shown a bit of shiftiness/quickness/misdirection that is intriguing.

G_Money
05-12-2014, 04:07 PM
I thought you said "shittiness" Buff, and I was about to high-five you.

Hillman's got some quickness and is certainly a one-bounce runner. He came into the league as it's youngest player, so that's at work too. It's a tough learning curve. But he'd better have a good camp and pre-season, because the only thing he's offering is "I'm faster than CJ or Ball" and if other guys can fill that role without putting the ball on the ground and while pass-protecting, then Hillman might be in trouble.

And if he's not in trouble to make the team, he certainly might be in trouble to stay on it if Bibbs is on the practice squad showing him up. Like I said, should be fun! I like camp battles between good players instead of "which is the least-terrible guy we have to keep?"

~G

NightTerror218
05-12-2014, 04:47 PM
I think this guy can take hillmans spot if hillman blows it this preseason. Or else practice squad for a year.

Simple Jaded
05-12-2014, 05:40 PM
Cards cut Ryan Williams, I like Hillman but I would say bye to him for Williams.

7DnBrnc53
05-12-2014, 05:51 PM
Cards cut Ryan Williams, I like Hillman but I would say bye to him for Williams.

That's someone to maybe keep an eye on, but I bet the opening day RB's will be Ball, Bibbs, and C.J. Anderson.

Simple Jaded
05-12-2014, 06:05 PM
That's someone to maybe keep an eye on, but I bet the opening day RB's will be Ball, Bibbs, and C.J. Anderson.

Can't quibble with that, I wouldn't put Williams above Anderson in depth chart. Ball, Anderson, Williams, Hillman and Bibbs.

Hawgdriver
05-12-2014, 11:07 PM
I don't get the Hillman hate either. I'm not a Hillman fan, but I don't hate him either. He's young and fumbles, this is his last chance to prove he's got something. If not, so long. I'm not wasting too much thinking about it. I do with Moreno was still on this roster though, all else equal.

Hawgdriver
05-12-2014, 11:09 PM
Bibbs looks fast, and makes a decisive upfield cut. But honestly he looks like practice squad material to me. Trust me, I'm an expert at this stuff.