PDA

View Full Version : 'We Were Thrilled with the Way It Fell'

Denver Native (Carol)
05-10-2014, 09:32 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Head Coach John Fox was pacing around the room.

The Broncos had traded from the end of the fourth round of the 2014 NFL Draft -- pick No. 131 -- to the middle of the fifth -- No. 156 overall. They had their eye on LSU linebacker Lamin Barrow, and all they could do was hope that he would still be waiting when the 25-pick drop elapsed.

"We were holding on a little bit there," Executive Vice President of Football Operations/General Manager John Elway smiled. "But fortunately Lamin made it to us there. That was the one – John made about 18 laps around the room – the most nervous time of the draft."

But Barrow was still available. As was first-round pick Bradley Roby, "a guy that we weren’t really expecting to get to us," according to Elway.

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/We-Were-Thrilled-with-the-Way-It-Fell/d1636573-1e5b-4823-99db-b399ecb34915

BroncoWave
05-10-2014, 09:34 PM
I think it would be funny if one day a coach or GM said "I thought our draft really sucked".

VonDoom
05-10-2014, 10:10 PM
I haven't had a chance to watch any tape on Barrow yet, but he seems like the kind of guy we want on this team in that he fits what we're trying to do. I want to root for him, and I'm definitely keeping my eye on him this year. Hopefully he'll turn out to be who they obviously think he is.

Cugel
05-10-2014, 10:32 PM
"They did pretty well for what they had (https://s2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/unPi3i1Kf8XEppiqTXS82g--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9NzAwO2NyPTE7Y3c9MTAwMDtkeD0wO2 R5PTA7Zmk9dWxjcm9wO2g9NzAwO3E9NzU7dz0xMDAw/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/sports/2014-05-11/4ead7920-d8a2-11e3-b60e-45d61941ceb6_broncos.jpg)[in terms of draft picks] and they had to be thrilled that Roby was still there. Although they didn't get their middle-linebacker upgrade it's not a big deal -- it's a two down position anyway and they can find help with a free agent if that's what they want."

Overall Grade: C+

I'd say that's a pretty fair assessment. You're probably not getting an All-Pro drafting at the bottom of every round, but they managed to get some players with promise. The team does not have a lot of holes and none of these players are expected to step right in and start day 1, although I guess Michael Schofield might possibly compete for the RT spot sometime this season.

Roby could be the nickel CB game 1 if he shows some development in camp. But, the team really made their major effort for this season in FA.

I'd say the one major missing piece from the draft was RB. I thought they might take 2 RBs in the later rounds, and they could use some talent infusion there. But, that's a position where you can usually find somebody to bring in during the Summer as players get cut.

I expect them to sign some un-drafted FAs to fill a few gaps at RB and LB. Other than that they're pretty much good to go for the season. :wave:

DenBronx
05-10-2014, 11:03 PM
I can only give this draft a C myself. Well just because it filled some needs we had but the guys we got are sort of head scratchers after round 2.

chazoe60
05-10-2014, 11:32 PM
We filled RB nicely with UDFA. Bibbs will stick in this league. He is what you want in your backup HB. He does everything well. He's not really flashy but he runs hard and will become a good blocker in blitz pickup IMHO. He reminds me of a better all around version of Lance Ball.

ShaneFalco
05-11-2014, 01:40 AM
i was fairly disappointed with the broncos draft.

honz
05-11-2014, 03:51 AM
Sounds like a personal problem, bro.

Davii
05-11-2014, 04:53 AM

Well duh, you're a Ram's fan.

Davii
05-11-2014, 05:06 AM
I think assigning grades immediately after a draft is silly. What if Roby turns out to be a perrenial pro-bowler?

We filled a few holes, hopefully we filled them with the right guys, only time will tell.

ShaneFalco
05-11-2014, 05:28 AM
Sounds like a personal problem, bro.

Well duh, you're a Ram's fan.

im both.

I just find it weird that i like the Broncos UFA pickups then the actual picks in the draft.

CoachChaz
05-11-2014, 08:59 AM
Looking forward to CJ putting an end to all the concern about not drafting a running back

Timmy!
05-11-2014, 09:04 AM
Looking forward to CJ putting an end to all the concern about not drafting a running back

This would make me a lot more comfortable.

LTC Pain
05-11-2014, 10:18 AM
This would make me a lot more comfortable.

Any bets that CJ is higher on the first RB depth chart than Hillman???

VonDoom
05-11-2014, 10:22 AM
Any bets that CJ is higher on the first RB depth chart than Hillman???

Yeah, I think he is going to be #2 on the depth chart, with Hillman #3. At least to start. Maybe Hillman has the kind of resurgence that Moreno had after being listed as #3 on the depth chart last summer, but I'm not holding my breath.

turftoad
05-11-2014, 10:27 AM
By the time the season starts, Bibbs will probably be ahead of Hillman.

Dzone
05-11-2014, 10:41 AM
Our kick and punt returners, Decker and Holliday are gone. Who is going to fill those roles this year? Is anyone from the draft a return man? Bubba, Kayvon and Omar are the only ones with experience, unless sanders has done it.

VonDoom
05-11-2014, 10:42 AM
Our kick and punt returners, Decker and Holliday are gone. Who is going to fill those roles this year? Bubba, Kayvon and Omar are the only ones with experience, unless sanders has done it.

Sanders HAS done it, and I expect he'll be an option. I hear that Burse, one of our UDFA, could do it as well.

underrated29
05-11-2014, 11:09 AM
The Ufda rb we signed from duke is a boss! I really really like him. He and bibbs could both make the team over Hillman. Problem is Hillman is the only fast one. Bibbs is a 4.4 guy which isn't bad but Hillman is still faster.

The de we got has a lot of upside too.

I'm pretty thrilled with the draft. Roby is going to start right away and Cody is no where near a 4th Rdr. He is going to be great and people will have forgotten about a little 4th Rdr we used to grab him. I also like paradis a lot. The rest I don't care about. The lb will be used on passing downs no biggie.

tripp
05-11-2014, 11:17 AM
"They did pretty well for what they had (https://s2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/unPi3i1Kf8XEppiqTXS82g--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9NzAwO2NyPTE7Y3c9MTAwMDtkeD0wO2 R5PTA7Zmk9dWxjcm9wO2g9NzAwO3E9NzU7dz0xMDAw/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/sports/2014-05-11/4ead7920-d8a2-11e3-b60e-45d61941ceb6_broncos.jpg)[in terms of draft picks] and they had to be thrilled that Roby was still there. Although they didn't get their middle-linebacker upgrade it's not a big deal -- it's a two down position anyway and they can find help with a free agent if that's what they want."

Overall Grade: C+

I'd say that's a pretty fair assessment. You're probably not getting an All-Pro drafting at the bottom of every round, but they managed to get some players with promise. The team does not have a lot of holes and none of these players are expected to step right in and start day 1, although I guess Michael Schofield might possibly compete for the RT spot sometime this season.

Roby could be the nickel CB game 1 if he shows some development in camp. But, the team really made their major effort for this season in FA.

I'd say the one major missing piece from the draft was RB. I thought they might take 2 RBs in the later rounds, and they could use some talent infusion there. But, that's a position where you can usually find somebody to bring in during the Summer as players get cut.

I expect them to sign some un-drafted FAs to fill a few gaps at RB and LB. Other than that they're pretty much good to go for the season. :wave:

IMO, if we were trying to get a RB, I would've much rather have tried to go for a veteran RB who will be there to pick up the pieces IF Montee Ball has confidence issues. Thank Christ, Moreno was there to keep the ball rolling. I'm just not sold on the idea that another rookie RB will be ready to step in and become a major contributor if Montee Ball starts fumbling again. I guess Elway and Co., like what they have at RB and want to create a little competition there, which is why they signed UDFA Kapri Bibbs.

silkamilkamonico
05-11-2014, 02:10 PM
IMO, if we were trying to get a RB, I would've much rather have tried to go for a veteran RB who will be there to pick up the pieces IF Montee Ball has confidence issues. Thank Christ, Moreno was there to keep the ball rolling. I'm just not sold on the idea that another rookie RB will be ready to step in and become a major contributor if Montee Ball starts fumbling again. I guess Elway and Co., like what they have at RB and want to create a little competition there, which is why they signed UDFA Kapri Bibbs.

Who's to say they won't add a veteran RB during the next roster movement?

Tebowtime2011
05-11-2014, 02:42 PM
I think assigning grades immediately after a draft is silly. What if Roby turns out to be a perrenial pro-bowler?

We filled a few holes, hopefully we filled them with the right guys, only time will tell.

I agree there is no point in grading a draft now, which is why I try to stay away from nfl network this time of year.

Pudge
05-11-2014, 03:56 PM
I agree there is no point in grading a draft now, which is why I try to stay away from nfl network this time of year.

Have you thought of changing your username

Dzone
05-11-2014, 04:13 PM
I give the Broncos draft a C+. In 2 years, we might look back and give it an A to an F. If Roby and Latimer start, this could be a great draft. At least one udfa will make the team

TXBRONC
05-11-2014, 04:16 PM

I thought Denver would draft a running back but it doesn't concern me that they didn't.

BroncoWave
05-11-2014, 04:24 PM
I thought Denver would draft a running back but it doesn't concern me that they didn't.

I would imagine once the preseason comes around there will be a few veteran camp cuts to choose between to bring on for some depth. I'd honestly kinda rather have that for depth than another rookie who would have to learn the ropes.

Tebowtime2011
05-11-2014, 05:06 PM
Have you thought of changing your username

No it's supposed to be comical, not really to make people laugh but to at least create a smirk or two. And I don't see any others like it still around on this forum so it's pretty original around here.

dogfish
05-11-2014, 05:09 PM
And I don't see any others like it still around on this forum so it's pretty original around here.

there were lots. . .

:heh:

Dzone
05-11-2014, 05:11 PM
Maybe we can pick up a rb like Indy did last year. Trade away a #1 pick on a bust...lmao

Dzone
05-11-2014, 05:16 PM
No it's supposed to be comical, not really to make people laugh but to at least create a smirk or two. And I don't see any others like it still around on this forum so it's pretty original around here.
Nothing wrong with the name. I liked Tebow. He gave us some good football in 2011. He was a good bronco. He's overboard on the religion, but I respect the hell out of the guy for living what he preaches. He might not be anygood as a qb, but Tebow was a helluva tough football player.

Pudge
05-11-2014, 05:24 PM

See, I was a nobody around here forever, and then I changed my username and I've become the resident basket case. Things couldn't be any better

Simple Jaded
05-11-2014, 11:45 PM
I think it would be funny if one day a coach or GM said "I thought our draft really sucked".

The thought of this reminds me of Doug Moe.

Tebowtime2011
05-12-2014, 02:05 AM
there were lots. . .

:heh:

I said STILL around...

Tned
05-12-2014, 07:45 AM

I've read/heard a number of the draft/NFL guys saying that Roby could be the best CB drafted in '14. He is the most physically gifted, but he wasn't considered a sure thing, because he makes some mistakes (specifically getting torched badly in one game) and had the two off-field incidents, that in reality don't sound that bad.

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
05-12-2014, 10:12 AM
I've read/heard a number of the draft/NFL guys saying that Roby could be the best CB drafted in '14. He is the most physically gifted, but he wasn't considered a sure thing, because he makes some mistakes (specifically getting torched badly in one game) and had the two off-field incidents, that in reality don't sound that bad.

Another knock on him is that he had a bad year playing for a bad defense. If he is in his form from the prior year, then he has potential to be great. Hopefully JDR can get that potential out of him.

NightTerror218
05-12-2014, 12:15 PM
I give this draft a B- with A potential. I like the Roby pick. Schofield is penciled in at RT starter. I keep hearing analysis saying the WR trade up was the best move by us. If the LSU LB is a legit MLB then we could have a really good draft.

I think UDFA we got some return players and potential ST players. We are good in UDFA so far.

TXBRONC
05-12-2014, 12:35 PM
I give this draft a B- with A potential. I like the Roby pick. Schofield is penciled in at RT starter. I keep hearing analysis saying the WR trade up was the best move by us. If the LSU LB is a legit MLB then we could have a really good draft.

I think UDFA we got some return players and potential ST players. We are good in UDFA so far.

I agree the immediate grade is around B- but I don't think Schofield is being penciled in at the starter at right tackle. That certainly doesn't he couldn't emerge as the starting right tackle but as of right now I've been hearing that he's a swing tackle.

NightTerror218
05-12-2014, 12:52 PM
I agree the immediate grade is around B- but I don't think Schofield is being penciled in at the starter at right tackle. That certainly doesn't he couldn't emerge as the starting right tackle but as of right now I've been hearing that he's a swing tackle.

I saw a tweet that from him that was along the lines of elway said he would start RT. Clark is a backup imo and all he ever will be. Franklin was a 3rd draft as well. What were the negatives about him?

TXBRONC
05-12-2014, 12:59 PM
I saw a tweet that from him that was along the lines of elway said he would start RT. Clark is a backup imo and all he ever will be. Franklin was a 3rd draft as well. What were the negatives about him?

I didn't know that because I'm not on the twitter feed.

The negatives I've heard about Schofield is that he has average feet and he gets himself off balance at times.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-12-2014, 01:56 PM

Franklin was taken in the second round.

Tned
05-12-2014, 02:20 PM

Franklin was reportedly initially upset this off season when he was told he would be moving to LG. However, last month he tweeted out "Left guard, excited to learn and improve this offseason. I will give it my all."

So, it would seem that Clark, Schofield and whoever else is in camp will be battling for the RT job.

Tned
05-12-2014, 02:27 PM
Took me a few minutes to find it, but here is the Tweet from Franklin about a week before the one where he said he was excited. "They say it's business, never personal. Ok well I'm pissed and it just became personal. I'm betting on me, 2014 will be a great yr for me." The speculation at the time was that he was informed he was being moved to LG and that's what he was 'pissed' about. Hard to know for sure. It could have also been the Broncos saying they weren't willing to discuss a contract extension (he's a free agent in 2015).

Either way, it looks pretty clear that Franklin is penciled in at LG, and that RT is the only position truly up for grabs (unless someone comes in and outplays Ramirez).

dogfish
05-12-2014, 03:46 PM

i'm pretty sure elway told him he'd start his career at right tackle-- not that he was necessarily going to BE the starting right tackle. . .

NightTerror218
05-12-2014, 04:48 PM
Franklin was taken in the second round.

Good catch. 46th overall.

tripp
05-13-2014, 12:45 AM
Who's to say they won't add a veteran RB during the next roster movement?

Like who? Michael Bush, McGahee, Ronnie Brown, Felix Jones, Bernard Scott?

MOtorboat
05-13-2014, 01:12 AM
Wow, Felix Jones really is without a team right now?

Lancane
05-13-2014, 06:07 PM
As I said before, I love the Roby, Latimer and Barrow picks. The two picks that I struggled with are Schofield and Nelson; Schofield has no real set position he has shorter range which points to slipping into the interior but then he lacks the strength to be a guard, and when you have players such as Dozier, Thomas, Yankey and Richardson, all pretty high rated guard prospects - it was almost as if the team was so sure that Franklin had to play inside (almost like he pissed them off and is in the dog house) that they needed someone outside for depth, etc. even if they were not better prospects in comparison to others available. I would have felt better about a Clady, Dozier/Yankey/Richardson, Ramirez/Montgomery/Paradis, Vasquez, Franklin line then Clady, Franklin, Ramirez/Montgomery/Paradis, Vasquez, Clark/Schofield/Painter line. Nelson was even more of a head scratcher because most scouts felt he'd go undrafted due to various circumstances, no denying that there is some talent there, but he's never started a full season, he's been pulled out of the starting lineup by the coaches even though no injury was ever listed as the cause, then throw in the injuries and so on...especially in comparison to other linebackers still available? If he pans out great, if not at least they only burnt a seventh round pick on him - Nelson's skill set almost make him idea to back up Miller. However, Shaquil Barrett who was picked up afterwards is maybe not as physically gifted but has a higher ceiling IMHO.

Even though the Broncos didn't draft a running back, they still got one of their main targets in Kapri Bibbs, Denver had their eyes set on this kid long before the combine and they might have risked the same pick they used on Nelson had the tailbacks not been pushed down due to the way the draft developed. Bibbs is not great at any one thing, he is just solid in all aspects of the position. I don't see him beating out Ball by any means, but he's likely to give Anderson and Hillman a run for their money. And even though Hillman is in the fan's dog house, I don't believe the staff is ready to give up on him just yet - reminds me a lot like the Moreno debates up till this past season.

The battle for the center position might be huge for Denver, Ramirez was so-so last season and committed some major mistakes, adding Montgomery who is not the best starting center but has more experience at the position at the pro level could cause it to already be tough on Manny to retain the spot to begin with...but the wildcard in this competition will be Matthew Paradis, he doesn't have a high ceiling or potential for growth, he could add some solid upper body and core strength, even be coached up a little - but he is limited athletically and was so solid due mainly to his football IQ, character, leadership ability and motor, basically what you see is what you get and I am sure Denver brass knew that when drafting him and that could be what gives him an edge over both Ramirez and Montgomery. Would not be surprised at all if come the start of the season that the starting offensive line is LT: Clady, LG: Ramirez, C: Paradis, RG: Vasquez, RT: Franklin with Clark backing up Clady again, Schofield backing up Franklin - allowing the team to help coach him up and better develop him to eventually replace Franklin after the season, having Montgomery backing up both Ramirez and Paradis and keeping either Painter, Miller or Garland to back-up others.

I saw someone mention they saw Roby starting at the nickel spot from the get go? It won't be happening, you don't draft a first round nickel corner - especially when that corner has Top 15 athletic talent and could well be an elite corner. I get that people love Harris, but he is not on the same level as Roby other then he has time in at the position at the pro level. Talib and Roby will be starting from day one with Harris or Webster manning the nickel, depending on Harris' health, just my opinion of course. As for safety, Ward will be starting at strong safety, Rahim Moore will be starting at free safety - I have seen some people thinking that Ward will replace Moore, you don't replace your best safety on a whim. Look for the team to move Duke Ihenacho behind Moore at free safety and keep Bruton and Carter behind Ward, Carter as the likely replacement since Bruton is so important to special teams.

broncohead
05-13-2014, 09:25 PM
I saw someone mention they saw Roby starting at the nickel spot from the get go? It won't be happening, you don't draft a first round nickel corner - especially when that corner has Top 15 athletic talent and could well be an elite corner. I get that people love Harris, but he is not on the same level as Roby other then he has time in at the position at the pro level. Talib and Roby will be starting from day one with Harris or Webster manning the nickel, depending on Harris' health, just my opinion of course.

I agree with everything you said except I believe that Harris will start in base formations and slide inside while in nickel/dime formations. That is if Harris is good to go day 1. He has proven himself as a solid starter. Roby will still see tons of playing time though. Talib usually misses a few games a season anyway so Roby will play and have a chance to prove himself. Harris is a FA in 2015 so this is a great addition if we can't resign or we don't want to resign Harris. Roby and Latimer were picked for next season insurance policies imo. Thomas and Welker will have expired contracts along with Harris.

spikerman
05-13-2014, 09:25 PM
See, I was a nobody around here forever, and then I changed my username and I've become the resident basket case. Things couldn't be any better

Don't you dare forget the rest of us nobodies now that you've made the big time.

Pudge
05-13-2014, 09:28 PM
Don't you dare forget the rest of us nobodies now that you've made the big time.

I'll never forget you Jeff, you're the only persons name I remember besides Joe's and that's a given

Simple Jaded
05-14-2014, 12:01 AM
I joke about Harris but dude can ball, Roby may very well be better than Jr but we gotta see it first.

G_Money
05-14-2014, 05:06 PM
If Roby is better than Harris outta the chute, and Harris is back to his pre-knee-issue self, then fuggetabouddit, our secondary is gonna be awesome this year.

If Harris is slowed a little to begin with and needs to cover TEs and backs rather than #2 wideouts, he's got the ability to do that while he gets back on the horse and Roby can take the outside.

We have options. It's a good thing.

Ravage!!!
05-14-2014, 05:47 PM
Well.. if Harris is back to 100%, I don't think its a GIVEN that you put the 1st round pick in his place, purely beccause Harris played so well. Having a top nickle in today's NFL is EXTREMELY important, and Roby is fast. Could he beat out a healthy Harris? Maybe... maybe n ot THIS year. However, if Harris in hindered by his recovery, than I can see Roby playing on the outside. But I would think that a Super Bowl contending team doesn't start a rookie at corner if there are other possibilities available.

TXBRONC
05-16-2014, 09:42 AM
As I said before, I love the Roby, Latimer and Barrow picks. The two picks that I struggled with are Schofield and Nelson; Schofield has no real set position he has shorter range which points to slipping into the interior but then he lacks the strength to be a guard, and when you have players such as Dozier, Thomas, Yankey and Richardson, all pretty high rated guard prospects - it was almost as if the team was so sure that Franklin had to play inside (almost like he pissed them off and is in the dog house) that they needed someone outside for depth, etc. even if they were not better prospects in comparison to others available. I would have felt better about a Clady, Dozier/Yankey/Richardson, Ramirez/Montgomery/Paradis, Vasquez, Franklin line then Clady, Franklin, Ramirez/Montgomery/Paradis, Vasquez, Clark/Schofield/Painter line. Nelson was even more of a head scratcher because most scouts felt he'd go undrafted due to various circumstances, no denying that there is some talent there, but he's never started a full season, he's been pulled out of the starting lineup by the coaches even though no injury was ever listed as the cause, then throw in the injuries and so on...especially in comparison to other linebackers still available? If he pans out great, if not at least they only burnt a seventh round pick on him - Nelson's skill set almost make him idea to back up Miller. However, Shaquil Barrett who was picked up afterwards is maybe not as physically gifted but has a higher ceiling IMHO.

Even though the Broncos didn't draft a running back, they still got one of their main targets in Kapri Bibbs, Denver had their eyes set on this kid long before the combine and they might have risked the same pick they used on Nelson had the tailbacks not been pushed down due to the way the draft developed. Bibbs is not great at any one thing, he is just solid in all aspects of the position. I don't see him beating out Ball by any means, but he's likely to give Anderson and Hillman a run for their money. And even though Hillman is in the fan's dog house, I don't believe the staff is ready to give up on him just yet - reminds me a lot like the Moreno debates up till this past season.

The battle for the center position might be huge for Denver, Ramirez was so-so last season and committed some major mistakes, adding Montgomery who is not the best starting center but has more experience at the position at the pro level could cause it to already be tough on Manny to retain the spot to begin with...but the wildcard in this competition will be Matthew Paradis, he doesn't have a high ceiling or potential for growth, he could add some solid upper body and core strength, even be coached up a little - but he is limited athletically and was so solid due mainly to his football IQ, character, leadership ability and motor, basically what you see is what you get and I am sure Denver brass knew that when drafting him and that could be what gives him an edge over both Ramirez and Montgomery. Would not be surprised at all if come the start of the season that the starting offensive line is LT: Clady, LG: Ramirez, C: Paradis, RG: Vasquez, RT: Franklin with Clark backing up Clady again, Schofield backing up Franklin - allowing the team to help coach him up and better develop him to eventually replace Franklin after the season, having Montgomery backing up both Ramirez and Paradis and keeping either Painter, Miller or Garland to back-up others.

I saw someone mention they saw Roby starting at the nickel spot from the get go? It won't be happening, you don't draft a first round nickel corner - especially when that corner has Top 15 athletic talent and could well be an elite corner. I get that people love Harris, but he is not on the same level as Roby other then he has time in at the position at the pro level. Talib and Roby will be starting from day one with Harris or Webster manning the nickel, depending on Harris' health, just my opinion of course. As for safety, Ward will be starting at strong safety, Rahim Moore will be starting at free safety - I have seen some people thinking that Ward will replace Moore, you don't replace your best safety on a whim. Look for the team to move Duke Ihenacho behind Moore at free safety and keep Bruton and Carter behind Ward, Carter as the likely replacement since Bruton is so important to special teams.

You bring up a lot of interesting points but I disagree agree with you that Ramirez had a so so year. He had very good year with only one major mistake that unfortunately happened on this biggest stage. Bringing in Paradis is not necessarily indicative that Fox is making an overt move to replace him. It looks like a move to strengthen the depth at center. He would get replaced if he doesn't play well but I don't expect that will happen. I'm in the camp that is leery of having two new starters rather just one. Moving Ramirez to left guard and putting someone new at center is the same kind of move as having Franklin move to left guard and then trying to find a new right tackle. It might even be a little more dicey because now 2/3rds of the interior line would be new starters.

I'm not so sure Roby starts day one. Yes he has tremendous phyical talent but that doesn't mean he could just come in start right away. He looks like he has some techincal things to work on. He wouldn't be the first corner to selected in the first round not to start right away. Deltha O'Neal was selected in the first round and he didn't start his rookie season. In fact he selected 15th overall that's 16 slot ahead of where Roby was taken. A guy choosen 31st overall doesn't necessarily start immediately because it's not like taking Patrick Peterson with the 5th overall pick. Besides that if he's playing in the nickle he's basically a starter because Denver is in their base defense around 50% of the time or less.