PDA

View Full Version : Broncos see Dawkins has plenty of gas left in tank

TXBRONC
09-15-2009, 08:18 AM
There's no doubt he plays withe passion. I hoping he can get several good clean hits on quarterbacks this season especially Felicia Rivers.

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13337998

Broncos see Dawkins has plenty of gas left in tank
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 09/15/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT
Updated: 09/15/2009 01:14:08 AM MDT

Brian Dawkins came barreling through the Bengals' offensive line during the third quarter of the Broncos' 12-7 victory Sunday in Cincinnati, diving toward Carson Palmer.

Dawkins ended up basically doing a handstand, legs high in the air, as the pocket collapsed around Palmer and Broncos linebacker Andra Davis recorded the sack.

So much for the idea Dawkins has lost a step in his 14th NFL season.

Dawkins, a month shy of his 36th birthday, led the Broncos in tackles Sunday with seven solo stops and four assists — while playing in base, nickel and goal-line packages.

"That's the problem. I don't know what I'm supposed to feel like at 36," Dawkins said. "I mean, I don't know if there is a certain criteria that you're supposed to check off like, 'Oh, I'm 36, or 35, or 25.' All I know is I have a job to do and I'm still blessed with the ability to be able to do it."

After Josh McDaniels became the Broncos' coach last winter, he watched plenty of film of Dawkins, who was about to become a free agent for the first time in his lengthy career with Philadelphia. The Eagles may not have thought Dawkins was a three-down safety, but McDaniels said the film he saw told a different story. Dawkins' performance in the season opener backed that up.

"The way that that guy runs around the field . . . He saved a bunch of yards yesterday with open-field tackles," McDaniels said. "When you watch him on tape and on the field, he's playing as fast or faster than everybody else."

A safety making open-field tackles? The Broncos' defense hasn't had that since John Lynch retired before the 2008 season.

The biggest success Denver's defense had Sunday against the Bengals, McDaniels said, was limiting the big play, a problem that plagued the 2008 Broncos. Last season, the defense allowed nine touchdowns on plays longer than 25 yards, including five that were more than 45 yards.

Dawkins was crucial to the Broncos eliminating the Bengals' deep throws and long runs. Cincinnati's longest pass completion went for 34 yards and its longest run was 20 yards.

Broncos safety Renaldo Hill said he has noticed Dawkins elevate the play of his teammates.

"It's intense. I mean, every play you know he's going to bring his all and he's going 100 mph, so playing alongside him, you want to match that," Hill said. "If he's going that hard, there's no reason you shouldn't be going that hard. It definitely makes everyone around him better because everyone wants to get up to that level he's playing at."

Defensive coordinator Mike Nolan plays Dawkins as an in-the-box safety against the run, but also trusts him in pass coverage.

"He lined up in a lot of different places, and I think that's to our benefit as much as it is his that we're able to do that, because that's tough on an offense because they have to find that guy all the time," Nolan said.

Dawkins has shed the club cast he wore throughout the preseason to protect a broken bone in his right hand, and he made it through Sunday's game unscathed except for being poked in the eye. Trainers flushed out the eye, and Dawkins quickly returned to the field.

On Monday, Dawkins already was looking forward to the Broncos' home opener against Cleveland this Sunday.

"We've got things to work on," Dawkins said. "We'll enjoy this victory, but we're moving on to the next week. You can never let yourself get too high or too low. I learned to do that over my career."

Lindsay H. Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@denverpost.com

NightTrainLayne
09-15-2009, 10:51 AM
McD's had his share of criticism for his off-season moves, but bringing Dawkins in deserves some high praise. I'm glad we've got him on the team.

TXBRONC
09-15-2009, 11:04 AM
McD's had his share of criticism for his off-season moves, but bringing Dawkins in deserves some high praise. I'm glad we've got him on the team.

I do agree. McDaniels bringing in Dawkins was an excellent move.

DenBronx
09-15-2009, 11:29 AM
I loved Dawkins hog tie tackle last Sunday.

TXBRONC
09-15-2009, 11:41 AM
I loved Dawkins hog tie tackle last Sunday.

The guy 100% intensity every play.

EastCoastBronco
09-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Yep...He's a gamer. With guys like him and Woodyard flying around out there, the rest of the D gets all wound up...;-)

Superchop 7
09-15-2009, 05:47 PM
My gas tank is on 1/4.

Going uphill it reads half.

Going downhill it reads empty.

6% grade for testing.