PDA

View Full Version : Kiszla: Broncos missed out on the Marqise player!

Cugel
05-09-2014, 01:21 PM
Yes, I know it's only Kizla and he's paid to make fans pissed off so that they will read his column, but still it makes me a bit miffed at him for arguing that the Broncos screwed up somehow in taking CB Bradley Roby instead of WR Marqise Lee.

If you ask me, [Kizla wrote] (http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_25727797/broncos-missed-out-marqise-player) clearly the best player available when the Broncos selected at No. 31 in the first round was Southern Cal receiver Marqise Lee, who has Pro Bowl potential.

Well, maybe. It could turn out that way IF Lee turns into a perennial pro-bowler while Roby fizzles, but that's not the way it looks now.

When I think about all the 1st round WRs who flamed out, I'm not sad at all the Broncos passed on a WR to begin with. Second, Roby was a top 15 talent who fell due to character concerns. Well, either he gets his mind right or he doesn't. If he does he has tremendous potential because he's as fast, big and athletic as any CB in the NFL.

I say Elway did exactly the right thing in grabbing Roby. I am more and more convinced watching his performance as Director of Football Operations that he generally is doing an excellent job. For years and years I remember shaking my head in frustration as the Broncos drafted guys like Willie Middlebrooks and Jarvis Moss. Now there's no need to feel cheated after a draft! :beer:

As for need, the Broncos needed a CB in the worst way. The Pats added Darell Revis and Browner, and although the Broncos added Talib, they lost DRC. So overall the Broncos actually lost ground to the Pats in terms of secondary talent. You know the Pats are Denver's main competition. They faced them in the AFC Championship Game and will have to get past them in the Playoffs this season too. And with Gronk back they are going to be stronger on offense, while their defensive additions and the return of Vince Wilfork make them a lot tougher on defense as well.

Meanwhile, Chris Harris tore up his knee in January and will miss most of the off-season, who knows how long it will take him to fully recover, and he's the #2 CB! Kayvon Webster is unproven at best. Roby will see action starting day 1. I hope he's ready.

VonDoom
05-09-2014, 01:35 PM
I think there's an interesting parallel between Roby and Lee, in that their 2012 seasons had the media listing them at or near the top of their position, where after the 2013 season, they had fallen for various reasons. So all things being equal, we were in much more need of a CB than a WR to be an impact player right away. I like Lee, but what was his spot going to be on the team this coming season? I see a much clearer spot for Roby and the organization apparently did too.

G_Money
05-09-2014, 01:40 PM
I do dislike Kiz.

What was the difference between Roby and the best corner that would have been available at our next pick?

How about between Lee and the next WR available? We'll find out, but straight up, if you told me my choice was either Lee or Roby, nobody else, I would take Roby and trust I could get a WR later. It's one of the deepest WR drafts I can remember, and Lee is not Sammy Watkins.

Plus, Manning can staple some hands to an empty paper bag and get it 40 catches and 500 yards. I don't think we needed a first rounder to replace Decker, and John didn't either. Hopefully it works out for us.

~G

CoachChaz
05-09-2014, 01:42 PM
I'd be curious to see the opinions on this had we NOT signed Emmanuel Sanders and instead had Bubba Caldwell #1 on the depth chart opposite DT.

VonDoom
05-09-2014, 01:52 PM
I do dislike Kiz.

What was the difference between Roby and the best corner that would have been available at our next pick?

How about between Lee and the next WR available? We'll find out, but straight up, if you told me my choice was either Lee or Roby, nobody else, I would take Roby and trust I could get a WR later. It's one of the deepest WR drafts I can remember, and Lee is not Sammy Watkins.

Plus, Manning can staple some hands to an empty paper bag and get it 40 catches and 500 yards. I don't think we needed a first rounder to replace Decker, and John didn't either. Hopefully it works out for us.

~G

Good point also. There are still a ton of good WR out there that we can get in the next couple of rounds. I feel like there is somewhat of a decline in CB after Roby, but that's a matter of opinion.

VonDoom
05-09-2014, 01:53 PM
I'd be curious to see the opinions on this had we NOT signed Emmanuel Sanders and instead had Bubba Caldwell #1 on the depth chart opposite DT.

If this had been the case, I might have been more tempted to take the WR, if I'm being honest. Sanders effectively replaced Decker at this point; had we not gone there, we'd be missing a true #2.

CoachChaz
05-09-2014, 02:02 PM
If this had been the case, I might have been more tempted to take the WR, if I'm being honest. Sanders effectively replaced Decker at this point; had we not gone there, we'd be missing a true #2.

And with Welker likely done after this season (and a concussion away from that being sooner) and no complete guarantee we can afford DT, I guess an argument can be made in the receiver area. Not saying I would have taken one yesterday, but I think it needs to be addressed tonight.

LTC Pain
05-09-2014, 02:26 PM
Kiszla is an idiot. If he writes that the "Broncos missed out" then Elway probably hit the nail on the head!

Northman
05-09-2014, 02:55 PM
I think there's an interesting parallel between Roby and Lee, in that their 2012 seasons had the media listing them at or near the top of their position, where after the 2013 season, they had fallen for various reasons. So all things being equal, we were in much more need of a CB than a WR to be an impact player right away. I like Lee, but what was his spot going to be on the team this coming season? I see a much clearer spot for Roby and the organization apparently did too.

^This

WR just isnt a priority for this team.

Northman
05-09-2014, 02:56 PM

I would still have the same stance, especially considering that i had already forgotten that we signed Sanders. :lol:

MOtorboat
05-09-2014, 02:58 PM
Rather have a RB and a guard.

tomjonesrocks
05-09-2014, 02:59 PM
I do dislike Kiz. What was the difference between Roby and the best corner that would have been available at our next pick? How about between Lee and the next WR available? We'll find out, but straight up, if you told me my choice was either Lee or Roby, nobody else, I would take Roby and trust I could get a WR later. It's one of the deepest WR drafts I can remember, and Lee is not Sammy Watkins. Plus, Manning can staple some hands to an empty paper bag and get it 40 catches and 500 yards. I don't think we needed a first rounder to replace Decker, and John didn't either. Hopefully it works out for us. ~G

Agreed. Also, if Denver plans on keeping DT and JT long term I don't see a problem filling other holes early and finding supporting WRs later.

Cugel
05-09-2014, 03:17 PM

Are you going to argue that we should have drafted Lee? Just think how Tom Brady made a bunch of no-name WRs into real weapons. Watch what happens this year when it's no longer Peyton Manning, but Geno Smith or Michael Vick throwing to Decker! I have no problems with Bubba Caldwell as the #2 WR. He has good hands and he's really come along and earned Peyton Manning's trust. It's true he's smaller than Decker, but quicker too. All in all, I don't expect the offense to lose that much from losing Decker. Perhaps there are more balls for Julius Thomas and we see more of Virgil Green, but otherwise I don't foresee a big drop-off.

Sanders doesn't need to do more than be in the rotation for them and do what he did last year for the Steelers -- 67 catches for 740 yards. He doesn't need to have 87 and 1200 yards like Decker did.

So, WR isn't a big need. Plus, WR is the deepest class in the draft and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Broncos take a WR today or tomorrow. Remember that Brandon Marshall was taken in the 4th round and Rod Smith wasn't even drafted at all. You can find decent WR talent in the later rounds.

CoachChaz
05-09-2014, 03:25 PM
Are you going to argue that we should have drafted Lee? Just think how Tom Brady made a bunch of no-name WRs into real weapons. Watch what happens this year when it's no longer Peyton Manning, but Geno Smith or Michael Vick throwing to Decker! I have no problems with Bubba Caldwell as the #2 WR. He has good hands and he's really come along and earned Peyton Manning's trust. It's true he's smaller than Decker, but quicker too. All in all, I don't expect the offense to lose that much from losing Decker. Perhaps there are more balls for Julius Thomas and we see more of Virgil Green, but otherwise I don't foresee a big drop-off.

Sanders doesn't need to do more than be in the rotation for them and do what he did last year for the Steelers -- 67 catches for 740 yards. He doesn't need to have 87 and 1200 yards like Decker did.

So, WR isn't a big need. Plus, WR is the deepest class in the draft and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Broncos take a WR today or tomorrow. Remember that Brandon Marshall was taken in the 4th round and Rod Smith wasn't even drafted at all. You can find decent WR talent in the later rounds.

I think I made it clear a few posts later that I WOULD NOT have taken a WR last night and I was just playing devils advocate. Thanks anyway

Cugel
05-09-2014, 03:31 PM
And with Welker likely done after this season (and a concussion away from that being sooner) and no complete guarantee we can afford DT, I guess an argument can be made in the receiver area. Not saying I would have taken one yesterday, but I think it needs to be addressed tonight.

They can afford DT. Every team has about 10 guys they are willing to pay and keep, and everybody else is a short-term rental. DT is an All-Pro and his talent cannot be replaced, so they will (in my opinion) almost certainly keep him. He's their #1 WR. You need an elite player who stretches the defense and he's that guy on the Broncos. So, it's a question of whether they are willing to pay him. They'd be fools not to because he has elite talent.

As for Welker, I don't know why everybody assumes he's "one hit away" from retirement. EVERY NFL PLAYER is "one hit away from retirement." One second you're Bo Jackson, with a zillion "Bo knows basketball, Bo knows Baseball" commercials, and you're running down the sideline for a 60 yard TD on Monday Night Football, . . . and the next second you've got an artificial hip and your career is done.

Finished. Kaput. Over.

I don't see Welker as any more vulnerable than anybody else in this league, just because he's had a couple of concussions. So have a lot of people.

I imagine Welker will last as long as Manning does, at least one more year after this one. He'll be 34 next season, and it's not like he's going to get a huge FA contract by jumping ship. He's going to have to take a pay cut from $6 million a year down to about $2 million no matter whether he stays or goes. So, whether he stays or goes will probably depend on whether Manning retires or not.

I expect Manning to stay through 2015 at least and possibly for the 2016 season. When he arrived in town, amid all the speculation that he might only last 1 season, etc., etc., I said "I don't know why he can't play till he's 40 or 41."

This is the new NFL. It's not like the old days when QBs were hit all the time. Now you get a 15 yard flag and maybe a fine and suspension for breathing on the QB. Manning is the perfect QB for the NFL current rules protecting the QB in the pocket. He gets rid of the ball faster than anybody and is highly accurate. He can probably play as long as he really wants. And he seems to want to continue more than anything else. Maybe if they win another SB he'll step out on top like Elway. But I doubt it. He loves the off-season workouts, training camp, the pre-season, meeting new teammates, the coaching sessions, everything.

So, I'd bet Welker takes a pay cut and returns for 2015. I could be wrong of course, but I don't think so.

Cugel
05-09-2014, 03:34 PM
I think I made it clear a few posts later that I WOULD NOT have taken a WR last night and I was just playing devils advocate. Thanks anyway

Yes, I saw that post, AFTER I posted this. Needn't get your knickers in a twist! Thanks for playing anyway. :wave:

Cugel
05-09-2014, 03:37 PM
Rather have a RB and a guard.

G would be nice, but RBs are rarely worth 1st round picks these days. You can get a decent one later in the draft. And G's too. They don't really desperately need to draft a G, it would be a nice addition.

I think they will add an OL this summer after the June cuts, just like they added Dan Koppen when he was cut. Between Manny Ramirez and Orlando Franklin, LG is probably in pretty good shape anyway and any addition is really just for overall depth purposes.

G_Money
05-09-2014, 03:50 PM

Yup. I absolutely expect to take a WR in this draft. But even if we didn't have Sanders, I wouldn't have taken Lee in the 1st. I don't think he's as amazing as he's made out to be by folks like Kizla.

VERY curious to see what we do tonight, though. Move up with later picks to nab The Guy we want? If we can pull a #2 corner, a #2 WR and a starting OL outta this draft it's been great, right? I'd rather not blow our chances at late-rounders like Malik Jackson and Danny Trevathan, but we'll see what we do. I think we can get those positions filled and stay put, but maybe the draft board won't break that way.

Should be fun.

~G

CoachChaz
05-09-2014, 03:55 PM
Yup. I absolutely expect to take a WR in this draft. But even if we didn't have Sanders, I wouldn't have taken Lee in the 1st. I don't think he's as amazing as he's made out to be by folks like Kizla.

VERY curious to see what we do tonight, though. Move up with later picks to nab The Guy we want? If we can pull a #2 corner, a #2 WR and a starting OL outta this draft it's been great, right? I'd rather not blow our chances at late-rounders like Malik Jackson and Danny Trevathan, but we'll see what we do. I think we can get those positions filled and stay put, but maybe the draft board won't break that way.

Should be fun.

~G

I think we'll see a good WR available with our 2nd pick. There are 4 or 5 that could contribute right away. But...we could develop one as well, so there are a lot of options. We'll see if that's a good thing

G_Money
05-09-2014, 04:41 PM
I'm hoping for Robinson or Moncrief, but like you said there's an entire handful of dudes who could step in and be really interesting with a whole training camp at the Manning Academy.

Grab Richburg (or a similar player) in the third for the OL, then see what shakes outta the tree on day 3.

~G

MOtorboat
05-09-2014, 04:47 PM
G would be nice, but RBs are rarely worth 1st round picks these days. You can get a decent one later in the draft. And G's too. They don't really desperately need to draft a G, it would be a nice addition.

I think they will add an OL this summer after the June cuts, just like they added Dan Koppen when he was cut. Between Manny Ramirez and Orlando Franklin, LG is probably in pretty good shape anyway and any addition is really just for overall depth purposes.

Oh, I meant moving forward today. I'm fine with the CB drafted, though I don't see it as spectacular, but at 31 you have to wait a few months to know.

I would not have gone Lee in the 1st round. Maybe tonight if he's still there in the late second, but I like Paul Richardson in the 3rd.

dogfish
05-09-2014, 05:12 PM
with no middle linebackers available, roby was an obvious choice. . .

kiszla is not only always wrong, he's an obnoxious waste of protoplasm that would have made two perfectly good dogs. . .

SWotRR
05-10-2014, 08:23 PM
Plus, Manning can staple some hands to an empty paper bag and get it 40 catches and 500 yards.

Great line.