PDA

View Full Version : BTV Live: Pre-draft Presser - RIGHT NOW

Denver Native (Carol)
05-05-2014, 03:07 PM
Have no idea when this started, but it is still going

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/BTV-Live-Pre-draft-Presser/09e3507d-f2d3-4de9-b5ad-23bb0a0b4064

underrated29
05-05-2014, 03:22 PM
synopsis for us who cannot watch?

VonDoom
05-05-2014, 03:22 PM
I can't watch at work, but I headed over to Twitter to see if there were any interesting tidbits coming out. Lammey has some pretty good Elway quotes there:

Cecil Lammey ‏@cecillammey

Elway "we are preparing as if Brock is our next guy" #Broncos

Elway "we feel good about Nate on first and second down" #Broncos

Elway "we are looking at moving up, but we are also looking at moving back." #Broncos

Elway "I think it (talking about fifth year option for 1st round QBs) adds to it (value of 31st pick)." #Broncos #NFLDraft

Elway "I think it takes 2 or 3 years [to fairly grade a draft class]" #Broncos #NFLDraft

VonDoom
05-05-2014, 03:27 PM
From Andrew Mason:

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 21m

Elway: "If you look at wide receiver it's a deep draft ... the WRs are what makes it (the draft) deep." Otherwise, draft is "pretty normal."

Elway says the other nickel LB could be T.J. Ward.

Elway: "You have to cover every possible scenario ... 10 minutes in that first round is not a lot of time."

Elway: Marvin Austin "had a first-round grade three years ago...we thought he's a guy that can come in and help us."

Elway, on Marvin Austin: "He's had some issues his his past, and we think he's outgrown those."

Elway: hasn't yet settled on Franklin at LG. "We're going to look at all the options."

Will Montgomery: "he'll make us better inside." His addition was about "creating competition" on the inside.

Elway: it's harder to sign quality undrafted guys now because the roster is deep. "It's a good problem to have."

tomjonesrocks
05-05-2014, 03:27 PM
Elway "we are looking at moving up, but we are also looking at moving back."

Almost as helpful as Manning talking about what Omaha means...

VonDoom
05-05-2014, 03:28 PM
Almost as helpful as Manning talking about what Omaha means...

Agreed, though I wouldn't expect (or want) him to divulge draft plans.

underrated29
05-05-2014, 03:30 PM
I can't watch at work, but I headed over to Twitter to see if there were any interesting tidbits coming out. Lammey has some pretty good Elway quotes there:

Cecil Lammey ‏@cecillammey

Elway "we are preparing as if Brock is our next guy" #Broncos

Elway "we feel good about Nate on first and second down" #Broncos

Elway "we are looking at moving up, but we are also looking at moving back." #Broncos

Elway "I think it (talking about fifth year option for 1st round QBs) adds to it (value of 31st pick)." #Broncos #NFLDraft

Elway "I think it takes 2 or 3 years [to fairly grade a draft class]" #Broncos #NFLDraft

Thanks man!

Here is how I interpret this:

1. I 100% believe him. Truthful.

2. Crap. Smokescreen. They want Shazier and that is that.

3. Yes, for Shaz. If they cannot jump Greenbay (who will take Shazier)- we will absolutely look to jump back because of the reasons he said. Also happens to be in my mock.

4. Agree 100% and truthful

5. Sure, and while our drafts have been solid imo all the way around. Von is the only Knockout! Trev and Montee- could be tho. We still suck balls in the third round drafting. Id just say throw that and our first at Arizona and land Shaz.

VonDoom
05-05-2014, 03:33 PM
Thanks man!

Here is how I interpret this:

1. I 100% believe him. Truthful.

2. Crap. Smokescreen. They want Shazier and that is that.

3. Yes, for Shaz. If they cannot jump Greenbay (who will take Shazier)- we will absolutely look to jump back because of the reasons he said. Also happens to be in my mock.

4. Agree 100% and truthful

5. Sure, and while our drafts have been solid imo all the way around. Von is the only Knockout! Trev and Montee- could be tho. We still suck balls in the third round drafting. Id just say throw that and our first at Arizona and land Shaz.

I agree with most of this, though I'm not sure they'd jump that high, even for Shazier. Green Bay picks 21st, I think? I'd rather see how things fall and try to nab a CB, as we've been discussing, if Shazier gets scooped up.

As for our third round draft picks ... don't count out Webster yet. Still too early to judge how that works out, but I remember being baffled last year.

underrated29
05-05-2014, 03:34 PM
my comp is retarded today.

Anyway, the part about franklin is huge. Could mean that Xsia is still in play for us.

VonDoom
05-05-2014, 03:35 PM
my comp is retarded today.

Anyway, the part about franklin is huge. Could mean that Xsia is still in play for us.

I thought this as well. I think Elway just wants to leave the door open for everything and not have people think we're out of the running for an OL in the first. The draft is all about smokescreens, so it's hard to know what's being floated just to get out there in the media.

Hawgdriver
05-05-2014, 04:55 PM
So the draft is coming up soon, right?

wcben
05-05-2014, 05:26 PM
So the draft is coming up soon, right?

LOL good question.. It feels like the draft already happened. Is it still on Thursday?

Denver Native (Carol)
05-05-2014, 07:52 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Up, or down? Stand pat, or start working the phones? John Elway is prepared for anything, but what the Broncos' executive vice president and general manager understands is that his team's No. 31 pick has value that is potentially well beyond its slot.

That's because of the fifth-year team option that teams have with first-round picks, and the potential availability of multiple quarterbacks when the Broncos select. If a team that picks early in the second round sees Derek Carr, Jimmy Garoppolo or even Teddy Bridgewater on the board as the first round concludes, then they could be willing to pay a premium price in trade to a team selecting late in the first round.

If you're a team that needs a franchise quarterback, a CBA structure that allows you to pay approximately $7 million for the fifth year of that quarterback's career has massive value. Considering that going rate of franchise quarterbacks once they get beyond their first contract starts at $15 million a season, this is a discount that cannot be understated.

rest - plus Elway video - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/At-31-Possibilities-Are-Endless/ea0f6fd9-09d0-405d-9e33-fc8f15bd7492

Denver Native (Carol)
05-05-2014, 07:54 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – With a deep talent pool available in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Broncos are in the enviable position of drafting late in the first round.

Drafting late not only means that the team had a successful previous season, but it also means that the team can still get a high-caliber player at a good value.

As NFL runners-up in 2013, Denver holds the 31st pick in each round of this year’s draft.

“I will say this, we’re proud, we’re thrilled to be picking 31,” Elway said. “I wish we were picking 32 but we’re picking 31. It’s not necessarily the best spot to be, but that means you’re a pretty good football team.”

rest - plus Elway video - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Elway-Looking-for-Value-in-2014-Draft/c0e32807-548a-4b15-bcb3-8925d6ca9154

Denver Native (Carol)
05-05-2014, 07:56 PM
Elway, Personnel Dept. Ready for Draft
John Elway breaks down how the Broncos used the extra two weeks to get ready for this year's draft.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Elway-Personnel-Dept-Ready-for-Draft/f54544d2-35b1-4df2-89ea-c68c0404f969

underrated29
05-05-2014, 08:40 PM
So I watched the presses. I believe we want a mlb in the worst way and if he is not there or too far up to trade we are going OT- likely bitonio.

VonDoom
05-06-2014, 01:50 PM
Just to add on to this discussion in terms of what they said about Irving, I thought this was an interesting article. If the FO is truly happy with Irving on 1st and 2nd down, as they claim, this might be why:

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/could-irving-take-on-the-mike

He ended up with positive grades in both run defense (+3.0) and pass coverage (+3.2) last year. The quality of his work in pass coverage has surprised a lot of people. That includes those that still claim he’s weak there - if that’s your view, watch the film or check his stats on PFF. Either way, he looks good.

He played 357 defensive snaps and didn’t commit a single penalty. He had one sack, permitted one receiving touchdown, and had one pass defensed. Opponents targeted him 22 times, and he allowed 16 receptions. He still needs work there, but that’s not a bad number for a linebacker. He only missed a single tackle all year. That was against New England in the playoffs.

VonDoom
05-06-2014, 01:51 PM
So I watched the presses. I believe we want a mlb in the worst way and if he is not there or too far up to trade we are going OT- likely bitonio.

I hope it's not Bitonio, honestly. He's too much of a reach in the first round for me, and I think we'd be better served with a CB or S, as I've stated here before (unless Shazier or Mosley happen to still be around). I can get behind Su'a-Filo, but I don't see any other OL for us in the first.

CoachChaz
05-06-2014, 02:23 PM
Just to add on to this discussion in terms of what they said about Irving, I thought this was an interesting article. If the FO is truly happy with Irving on 1st and 2nd down, as they claim, this might be why:

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/could-irving-take-on-the-mike

He ended up with positive grades in both run defense (+3.0) and pass coverage (+3.2) last year. The quality of his work in pass coverage has surprised a lot of people. That includes those that still claim he’s weak there - if that’s your view, watch the film or check his stats on PFF. Either way, he looks good.

He played 357 defensive snaps and didn’t commit a single penalty. He had one sack, permitted one receiving touchdown, and had one pass defensed. Opponents targeted him 22 times, and he allowed 16 receptions. He still needs work there, but that’s not a bad number for a linebacker. He only missed a single tackle all year. That was against New England in the playoffs.

I'm all for it.

Cugel
05-06-2014, 03:15 PM
I love Elway's comments before the draft: "We might move up or we might move down, or we might stay the same." :rolleyes:

I wonder why they give a pre-draft press conference, when the only important thing is NOT to say anything at all about what they are thinking. Even though it is usually futile. By draft day, all the teams have a pretty good idea what the other teams are thinking about players. We knew for instance when draft day rolled around that the Broncos were thinking seriously about drafting Von Miller. That was not a surprise. And the surprises that do happen in the first round are normally not good things -- like the Chiefs taking Tyson Jackson with the #3 overall pick! Ouch!! :laugh:

Denver Native (Carol)
05-06-2014, 05:25 PM
When John Elway said the Broncos might trade up from their first-round slot in the NFL draft, the No. 31 pick, but they might also trade down, he wasn't trying to be comically evasive.

Sometimes, a double answer is the truth squared.

As Elway, the Broncos' general manager, explained after his predraft news conference Monday at Dove Valley team headquarters, the option of both trade strategies will be in play Thursday night.

They sit so far back in the draft — only the Super Bowl champion Seattle Seahawks follow them in the first round, with the No. 32 pick — the Broncos will spend the middle third of the evening trying to trade up.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25703286/denver-broncos-have-many-options-buildup-nfl-draft