PDA

View Full Version : Broncos sign DT Marvin Austin

dogfish
05-05-2014, 11:13 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/05/broncos-add-talented-draft-disappointment-marvin-austin/

i really wanted us to draft this guy a couple of years ago. . . looks like he's a longshot after several unproductive seasons, but it's worth a shot-- DTs do take a while to develop, and the guy has serious movement skills for a man of his size and power. . . he could be productive as a rotational upfield tackle if the light does come on. . .

CoachChaz
05-05-2014, 11:23 AM
He was a guy I wanted as well, but it looks like injuries have derailed him. I expect nothing other than camp competition from him

Cugel
05-05-2014, 11:35 AM
This guy hasn't really played a full season since 2009, his junior year in college. He was also suspended for a season. That's five years since he's played a meaningful amount of football! He's bounced around 4 different teams in the NFL since being taken by the Giants in the 2nd round in 2011. He missed that season with a torn pectoral muscle and hasn't really been fully healthy since. If he's fully healthy and can be coached up, I'll be surprised. He's just a guy who had a ton of talent in college and didn't pan out in the NFL due to injuries and a general lack of production.

There are lots of guys like that who were stars in college but never became successful players in the NFL. Remember DT DeWayne Robertson who had a short unsuccessful stint with the Broncos a few years ago? Battled a bone-on-bone condition in his knee after being selected in the first round by the Jets. Never was able to consistently produce up to his talent due to injuries. Same thing here, roughly speaking.

Austin, 25, was highly regarded at North Carolina until he was dismissed from his senior season in a recruiting scandal that also sidelined receiver Greg Little and defensive end Robert Quinn. While Quinn and Little have rebounded to have nice starts in their NFL careers, the 6-foot-2, 312-pound Austin has struggled since he was a second-round pick of the New York Giants in the 2011 draft.

Austin spent his rookie season on injured reserve and has appeared in just 11 games. The Broncos are his fourth team. He also spent time last season with the Miami Dolphins and Dallas Cowboys.

Here's some more info on Austin from Rotoworld:

Broncos signed DT Marvin Austin.
Always long on talent and short on production, Austin represents a flier add for the Broncos. He's appeared in just 11 games since the Giants took him 52nd overall in 2011, battling injuries and ineffectiveness. Austin spent most of last season on the street and won't be a lock for the Broncos final roster.

Cowboys waived/injured DT Marvin Austin.
Dallas is the third team to waive Austin since final cuts. He'll revert to injured reserve if/when he clears waivers. The 2011 second-rounder appeared in one game for Big D, making one tackle. Suspended for his senior season at North Carolina and injury plagued through his first three NFL campaigns, Austin has appeared in just 11 live football games since 2009. It's starting to look like too much to overcome for a player who once possessed a great deal of raw talent. Source: Clarence Hill on Twitter
Tue, Nov 5, 2013 04:43:00 PM

Cowboys signed DT Marvin Austin, formerly of the Dolphins.
The 2011 second-round pick keeps getting chances because he has talent, but to this point Austin has not shown any of it on the field, primarily due to injuries. He'll be a depth piece on a depleted Cowboys defensive line.
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Mon, Oct 21, 2013 02:56:00 PM

Dolphins waived DT Marvin Austin.
The 2011 second-rounder's stay lasted three weeks in Miami. He was active twice, making one tackle in 28 snaps. It's possible his draft pedigree will earn him a look or two on waivers, but Austin has been an immense bust to this point in his career.
Related: Dolphins
Source: Brian McIntyre on Twitter
Tue, Oct 15, 2013 05:21:00 PM

Marvin Austin - DL - Broncos

Dolphins signed DT Marvin Austin.
Austin, the No. 52 overall pick in 2011, was released by the Giants during final cuts. He'll serve as defensive line depth with Paul Soliai and Cameron Wake dealing with knee injuries.
Tue, Sep 24, 2013 11:16:00 AM

The Dolphins worked out free agent DT Marvin Austin on Thursday.
Austin has now visited Miami, Kansas City, Seattle, and Detroit since being let go by the Giants at final cuts. The Dolphins also worked out free agent defensive linemen Jerrell Powe, Marcus Dixon, and Antonio Dixon.
Related: Dolphins
Source: Aaron Wilson on Twitter
Fri, Sep 20, 2013 08:22:00 AM

Free agent DT Marvin Austin worked out for the Chiefs.
Austin has generated plenty of interest in the form of workouts since being cut by the Giants. He's also visited the Lions and Seahawks over the past ten days.
Related: Chiefs
Source: Aaron Wilson on Twitter
Fri, Sep 13, 2013 08:29:00 AM

Free agent DT Marvin Austin worked out for the Seahawks.
Austin, the No. 52 overall pick in 2011, has also drawn interest from the Lions since being part of Giants' final cuts. He'd provide quality depth.
Related: Seahawks
Source: Adam Caplan on Twitter
Fri, Sep 6, 2013 08:25:00 AM

Free agent DT Marvin Austin will work out for the Lions Monday.
Austin was waived by the Giants on Saturday and passed through waivers unclaimed. The 2011 second-round pick would be a developmental project in Detroit behind starters Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley.
Related: Lions
Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter
Mon, Sep 2, 2013 10:23:00 AM

Giants waived or released DT Marvin Austin, DEs Adrian Tracy, Adewale Ojomo and Matt Broha, LB Kyle Bosworth, OLs Eric Herman, Stephen Goodin and Bryant Browning, CBs Terrence Frederick and Charles James, and WRs Kevin Hardy, Marcus Harris and Julian Talley.
The Giants attempted to trade Austin ahead of Saturday's deadline, but predictably found no takers. He's appeared in just eight games since being selected with the No. 52 pick in the 2011 draft. Herman was a seventh-round pick in April. Tracy, a 2010 sixth-rounder, appeared in all 16 games in 2012.
Related: Giants
Sat, Aug 31, 2013 06:21:00 PM

FOX Sports' Mike Garafolo reports the Giants are trying to trade DT Marvin Austin.
Austin hasn't played football since his junior year at North Carolina due to injuries and suspensions. The Giants' attempt to trade him could indicate Austin will be cut shortly. He was the 52nd overall pick in the 2011 draft.
Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter
Sat, Aug 31, 2013 04:19:00 PM

ESPN New York considers DT Marvin Austin on the roster bubble.
The No. 52 overall pick in 2011, Austin has struggled with injuries and effectiveness in his first two seasons -- appearing in just eight games. He's behind Shaun Rogers and second-round pick Jonathan Hankins for backup defensive tackle snaps. Austin and Mike Patterson are competing for one spot.
Related: Mike Patterson
Source: ESPN New York
Wed, Aug 28, 2013 09:52:00 PM

The New York Daily News reports Giants third-year DT Marvin Austin's roster spot is in jeopardy.
Austin, the No. 52 overall pick in the 2011 draft, has been working with the third-team defense in training camp, and he's battled injuries for much of his young career. He missed his entire rookie season with a torn pectoral before a back injury limited him to eight games last season. The Giants are loaded at defensive tackle. Austin would draw some interest if he were to get cut.
Source: New York Daily News
Sat, Aug 17, 2013 05:49:00 PM

ESPN New York expects Giants DT Marvin Austin to keep his roster spot.
The 2011 second-rounder played just 103 snaps last season after missing his entire rookie year with a torn pectoral, but it's hard to envision GM Jerry Reese pulling the plug after only two years. Thanks to a variety of issues, Austin has played mind-bogglingly little football since 2009, and desperately needs a healthy training camp and preseason. He missed most of last summer's exhibition season with a back issue.
Source: ESPN New York
Mon, Jun 24, 2013 11:01:00 AM

Giants DT Marvin Austin (back) participated in Monday's practice, and still anticipates making his NFL debut Sunday.
"That's exactly my train of thought," Austin said. "I feel good out there and I just got to go to the training room and try my best to do everything I possibly can in my power to control what I can control." Thanks to injury and suspension, Austin hasn't played a non-exhibition football snap since December 26, 2009. He'll be eased in.
Source: Newark Star-Ledger
Mon, Sep 10, 2012 02:55:00 PM

VonDoom
05-05-2014, 11:57 AM
I just saw the update and said to myself, "Who?" I'm glad others got here before me to fill me in. Sounds like camp fodder, but I guess they figured he was worth a shot.

underrated29
05-05-2014, 12:02 PM
I love these signings. Like the Eddy macs. Has the talent to be great but sucks. Maybe it works out and for little $ its worth the risk.

FanInAZ
05-05-2014, 01:36 PM
I just saw the update and said to myself, "Who?" I'm glad others got here before me to fill me in.

This is why I'm almost never the 1st to respond to FA threads.

G_Money
05-05-2014, 02:20 PM
Never hurts to take a look. He was a very talented kid. Bring him in, see what happens, and if you don't like it (which is the most likely outcome) ya cut him. If he can actually contribute, great!

Wouldn't hurt to have a couple of those surprises to help us to a Super Bowl victory.

~G

DenBronx
05-05-2014, 02:24 PM
Lets see how he does in camp.

Dzone
05-05-2014, 02:29 PM
Ya never hurts to see if all he needed was some mile high magic and the manning effect. Kind of like the jeremy mincey signing, who is now a cowboy, but he played some late last year

Dapper Dan
05-06-2014, 03:10 AM
I also wanted to draft him. I hope he can find a spark.

broncofaninfla
05-06-2014, 08:35 AM
It's his last shot, hopefully he plays like it, makes teh team and makes an impact.

Cugel
05-06-2014, 09:37 AM
It's his last shot, hopefully he plays like it, makes teh team and makes an impact.

Pretty much this. I think in part it depends on whether he can get healthy and stay healthy. So far he has been injured an ineffective. If he can ever get straightened out then he could be valuable. If not, he'll be gone this sometime this summer.

But, whenever I see one these redemption projects I remember back to the David Terrell signing. You probably don't remember him. He was a WR top 10 draft pick for the Bears, years ago, but never lived up to his draft status. Bounced around the league for a bit and wound up on the Broncos. He was intriguing, so I paid close attention to him. I remember him saying that "I have as much talent as Randy Moss and any of those guys, it's just up to me to prove it." He apparently didn't because he was cut after the preseason.

Sometimes it just doesn't work out. Some players make the transition from college to the pros no trouble and others just don't. Remember Marcus Thomas? He was a beast at Florida and only fell to the Broncos in the 4th round in '07 because of a fondness for weed that led to his being suspended his senior year. But, although he lasted 5 years he did nothing much in the NFL for the Broncos.

Bosco
05-10-2014, 07:36 PM
Definitely worth a shot as UT depth.