PDA

View Full Version : What Player Would You Sell The Farm For In The Draft?

WARHORSE
04-28-2014, 04:22 PM
Khalil Mack.

Hes as good all around as Miller or splitting hairs close.

If we had Trevathan in the middle and Mack and Miller on the outside.......opposing QBs may call in sick on gameday. Catastrophic Devastation might be a good name for our pass rush if that were to happen.

Trevathan is a solid blitzer himself. But with Von, Ware, Mack, Knighton, Williams and Wolfe on the prowl.............omg. OH.........Ward hit a head remover as well.

Id pull a Mike Ditka for Mack.

You?

Dapper Dan
04-28-2014, 05:46 PM
Would you? Really?

Ziggy
04-28-2014, 06:00 PM
None outside of Clowney. He's the only once in a generation talent in this draft.

WARHORSE
04-28-2014, 09:30 PM
Would you? Really?

Yep.

Not like 7 players are going to make our roster out of this draft. Id love to have another Von (sans suspensions) vs two decent starters and some special teams players.

WARHORSE
04-28-2014, 09:31 PM
None outside of Clowney. He's the only once in a generation talent in this draft.

I see the athleticism for sure.

But all that talent came away with 3 sacks last year......Id rather have Mack.

Simple Jaded
04-28-2014, 09:42 PM
Clowney.

MOtorboat
04-28-2014, 10:20 PM
Pass.

chazoe60
04-28-2014, 10:26 PM
Luke Keuchley two years ago.

TXBRONC
04-28-2014, 10:29 PM
There are some really good players in this draft but I would sell the farm for any of them To me that is unwise and history has shown it proves to be disastrous for the team that does it.

nevcraw
04-28-2014, 10:36 PM
Selling the farm nets you Ricky Williams and Post cowboys Herschel Walker.. No bueno.

Northman
04-29-2014, 04:41 AM
Yea, the Mike Dikta example is a terrible one. Williams never brought a championship to NO.

sneakers
04-29-2014, 05:29 AM
drug free Ricky Williams

TXBRONC
04-29-2014, 06:39 AM
Yep.

Not like 7 players are going to make our roster out of this draft. Id love to have another Von (sans suspensions) vs two decent starters and some special teams players.

Yes it highly likely seven draftees could make this team. especially when you consider how many players were lost to free agency.

TXBRONC
04-29-2014, 06:42 AM
Selling the farm nets you Ricky Williams and Post cowboys Herschel Walker.. No bueno.

No player is worth trading a entire draft for.

WARHORSE
04-29-2014, 08:02 AM
Yea, the Mike Dikta example is a terrible one. Williams never brought a championship to NO.

Funny thing is, when you look at the players drafted with all the picks Ditka traded away, had Ricky made his mental adjustments earlier it would have been a great move.

TXBRONC
04-29-2014, 08:40 AM
Funny thing is, when you look at the players drafted with all the picks Ditka traded away, had Ricky made his mental adjustments earlier it would have been a great move.

Williams playing an at all pro level wouldn't have made the Saints a playoff team. There are zero examples where that kind of move has worked for the team that sold out like that.

Jsteve01
04-29-2014, 08:44 AM

Williams playing an at all pro level wouldn't have made the Saints a playoff team. There are zero examples where that kind of move has worked for the team that sold out like that.. There are also zero examples of a tem like the Broncos going all in. I'm not endorsing the idea but im just playing the other side a little

TXBRONC
04-29-2014, 08:53 AM
. There are also zero examples of a tem like the Broncos going all in. I'm not endorsing the idea but im just playing the other side a little

Yes there is. The Vikings when they traded for Walker were a playoff contender.

At any rate I personally would do something like and I'm reasonably sure Elway won't either.

CoachChaz
04-29-2014, 09:01 AM
Since "selling the farm" was taken too literally and blown out of proportion, I'll just list the guys I would love to move up to get (in no particular order) if a reasonable option presented itself...

Justin Gilbert
Mike Evans
Khalil Mack
Calvin Pryor

TXBRONC
04-29-2014, 09:08 AM
Since "selling the farm" was taken too literally and blown out of proportion, I'll just list the guys I would love to move up to get (in no particular order) if a reasonable option presented itself...

Justin Gilbert
Mike Evans
Khalil Mack
Calvin Pryor

No War said he would pull a Ditka for Mack. Ditka did traded all of his draft picks for one player. That's not being being too literal it.

CoachChaz
04-29-2014, 09:14 AM
No War said he would pull a Ditka for Mack. Ditka did traded most of his draft picks for one player. That's not taking it too literally.

A dozen posts proclaiming it as a bad idea is taking it too literally. It's a bad idea...we get it. So instead of betting the hell out of a dead horse, why not lighten it a bit and list players you'd give up a "few" picks to move up for. WAR would give up 7 picks for one and no one else would. So, we can have fun with this thread or spend 10 pages bitching about the same thing.

TXBRONC
04-29-2014, 09:40 AM
A dozen posts proclaiming it as a bad idea is taking it too literally. It's a bad idea...we get it. So instead of betting the hell out of a dead horse, why not lighten it a bit and list players you'd give up a "few" picks to move up for. WAR would give up 7 picks for one and no one else would. So, we can have fun with this thread or spend 10 pages bitching about the same thing.

No it's not bitching to talk about the subject at hand. The conversation so far has been cordial and as long as it remains cordial there is no legitimate reason to tell others how they should post.

Back your to you thought, I can't think of one player in this draft I would give up two or three picks for. If it were Andrew Luck I would but as far as I know there isn't a guy like him in this draft.

Ravage!!!
04-29-2014, 09:59 AM
Clowney is the only guy in the draft that seems to be that 'once in a generation' type pick. That would be the ONE I would buy all in for.

As far as the Ditka trade, the guys taken with the Williams draft choices, didn't turn out for crap. SOMETIMES that ONE player can make your entire draft. Hell, if you draft 5 guys and end up with ONE GREAT player, then it was a good draft...... ESPECIALLY with today's rookie signing bonuses and contracts. That makes getting that guy even that much better, because they will be on your team LONGER for less money.

DenBronx
04-29-2014, 01:39 PM
Hearing Kalil Mack is going to be every bit as good as Von Miller. But he doesnt fill a need when we A.) Already have Von freaking Miller and B.) Have Danny T on the other side and will never be a MLB. So just scratch that talk right meow.

In short, there's no one I could see us trading the whole farm for this year. But if someone drops within striking distance then I could see us trading a few chickens and cows to move up a few spots or so. But keep the damn farm!!!

WARHORSE
04-29-2014, 03:01 PM
Yes there is. The Vikings when they traded for Walker were a playoff contender.

At any rate I personally would do something like and I'm reasonably sure Elway won't either.

Walker was deep into his career...it was a dumb move from everyones perspective on the planet except the guy who pulled the trigger.

But as coach says, I am talking the picks we own in this draft only. We would still be able to sign undrafted players, and if I were an undrafted player and I knew the Broncos didnt draft anyone else, that would make them a very

desirable option. Every team in the league is fighting over undrafted guys once the bell sounds. So its not like we would come away with simply one player.

I would do it for Mack, and I believe we may very well move up into the teens in this draft if the right player is there and the right deal.

WARHORSE
04-29-2014, 03:04 PM
Hearing Kalil Mack is going to be every bit as good as Von Miller. But he doesnt fill a need when we A.) Already have Von freaking Miller and B.) Have Danny T on the other side and will never be a MLB. So just scratch that talk right meow.

In short, there's no one I could see us trading the whole farm for this year. But if someone drops within striking distance then I could see us trading a few chickens and cows to move up a few spots or so. But keep the damn farm!!!

Well the premise for what I said is looking at the hole at MLB.

Trevathan has shown he can play there. So putting him in the middle and Mack on the outside makes a very, very (imo) scary front seven in this league.

DenBronx
04-29-2014, 09:56 PM
If Trevathan was so good in the middle then Woody would still be here. Neither guy is a MLB.

EMB6903
04-29-2014, 11:29 PM

I like clowney as a prospect just not nearly as much as everybody else.

Id take Mack as the best defensive prospect and Watkins as the best overall talent in this class by far.

I would never put the title as a once in a generation prospect to a player who had 3 sacks in 11 games.

NightTerror218
04-29-2014, 11:40 PM
I like clowney as a prospect just not nearly as much as everybody else.

Id take Mack as the best defensive prospect and Watkins as the best overall talent in this class by far.

I would never put the title as a once in a generation prospect to a player who had 3 sacks in 11 games.

Clowney was double teamed almoat every play and triple teamed often and still provided pressure, I watched quite a few games of his. He would get the tackle the guard and a RB blocking him. Sacks do not always paint the picture. He provided a lot of pressure on QBs still.

Clowney has such an insanely high ceiling. He is that good. But like any player his attitude and work ethic can ruin him if he tries to skate by with skill alone.

Jsteve01
04-30-2014, 01:48 AM
If Trevathan was so good in the middle then Woody would still be here. Neither guy is a MLB.dont agree. Wood somehow ended up in del Rios dog house

DenBronx
04-30-2014, 03:56 AM
If Trevathan was so good in the middle then Woody would still be here. Neither guy is a MLB.dont agree. Wood somehow ended up in del Rios dog house

He was outplayed by Danny T and couldnt play MLB. Maybe thats why.

WARHORSE
04-30-2014, 06:19 AM
If Trevathan was so good in the middle then Woody would still be here. Neither guy is a MLB.

Huh? Trevathan can play there not sure why you would think not.

6'1'' 240lbs? Got speed, instincts and smarts. Can call the defenses. What else does he need?

He played on the outside because he was the best at it on our roster.

As I said in my opion earlier: Von at SLB, Trevathan in the middle, Mack WLB, and Ware at DE? Not to mention Wolfe, Thomas, Vick and Pot Roast.

WOW.

EMB6903
04-30-2014, 08:32 AM
Clowney was double teamed almoat every play and triple teamed often and still provided pressure, I watched quite a few games of his. He would get the tackle the guard and a RB blocking him. Sacks do not always paint the picture. He provided a lot of pressure on QBs still.

Clowney has such an insanely high ceiling. He is that good. But like any player his attitude and work ethic can ruin him if he tries to skate by with skill alone.

That excuse is getting played out. Every elite prospect has opposing teams game plan around them each week just as the greats do in the NFL. I'm not calling clowney a bust I think he's a top 5 player in this class I just don't think he's a once in a lifetime prospect that everyone is making him out to be.

broncofaninfla
04-30-2014, 09:30 AM
Has selling the farm EVER wrked for any team?

Cugel
04-30-2014, 09:54 AM
There are some really good players in this draft but I would sell the farm for any of them To me that is unwise and history has shown it proves to be disastrous for the team that does it.

You'll notice that the Seahawks did NOT do that at all. What they did was get solid talent and depth at every position on their defense. When their turn came, they drafted guys like Earl Thomas. They didn't break the bank to get them. The result you saw in the SB - no weaknesses.

Now even that is not a permanent fix because this ain't the 80's NFL where a team like the 49ers could stockpile talent and keep it. Within 2 years the Seahawks are going to be paying Russell Wilson $20 M a year (average salary for franchise SB caliber QBs) and they aren't going to be able to afford to keep a BUNCH of their defensive players. Right now they are paying him less than $1 M, while Aaron Rogers is getting $22M, Matt Ryan $20,750,000, Joe Flacco $20 M, Drew Brees $20M, Peyton Manning ($19.1 M), Tony Romo, Eli Manning, Jay Cutler, and Matt Stafford are all getting $18 M.

But, the Seahakws have THIS year before their cap explodes, which makes it tough.

Stay disciplined, and draft the best player available when your # comes up. If you see a player you really like, and it doesn't cost you in future years, then go up and get him, but remember that one of the worst stupidities of the McMoron era was throwing away draft picks to move up and grab that player "we just have to have" only to have him turn out to be Darcel McBath!

Cugel
04-30-2014, 09:58 AM
Clowney.

Since Clowney is going #1 overall and since nobody is going to trade for that pick, that is pretty irrelevant. He could be the second coming of Michael Strahan as a sack leader, and it wouldn't matter. Nobody but the Texans is getting him.

Cugel
04-30-2014, 10:10 AM
Actually he had a shoulder injury that seriously hindered his play. The MLB has to explode to the line of scrimmage and he couldn't do that effectively with a damaged shoulder. Teams are not paying MLBs the same kind of money they used to anyway.

Woodyard is a WLB out of place in the middle.

NightTerror218
04-30-2014, 11:26 AM
That excuse is getting played out. Every elite prospect has opposing teams game plan around them each week just as the greats do in the NFL. I'm not calling clowney a bust I think he's a top 5 player in this class I just don't think he's a once in a lifetime prospect that everyone is making him out to be.

That is again your opinion. But Clowney passes the eye test and again his combine number for a guy his size is jaw dropping dropping. Nobody wants to trade up to #1 unless its a QB. Costs too much for that pick.

Cugel
04-30-2014, 11:57 AM
That is again your opinion. But Clowney passes the eye test and again his combine number for a guy his size is jaw dropping dropping. Nobody wants to trade up to #1 unless its a QB. Costs too much for that pick.

The #1 overall pick is worth 3000 points, the #2 pick is worth 2600, and Broncos #31 pick is worth 600. So theoretically, the Broncos would have to give up 5 1st round picks to get that pick. In reality it wouldn't be that much, but it would probably be 3 1st rounders including this year's and a 2nd or something equally insane.

Nobody trades up from #31 to #1. It's too hard for both teams to work a deal where both feel satisfied they got value.

DenBronx
04-30-2014, 08:05 PM
Actually he had a shoulder injury that seriously hindered his play. The MLB has to explode to the line of scrimmage and he couldn't do that effectively with a damaged shoulder. Teams are not paying MLBs the same kind of money they used to anyway.

Woodyard is a WLB out of place in the middle.

It was also a financial decision. Had Woody played MLB at a high level then hed still be here. But when you have Danny T playing like a monster and for way less then that made sense to let him walk.

Jsteve01
04-30-2014, 08:10 PM

He was outplayed by Danny T and couldnt play MLB. Maybe thats why. lol ok or they moved him to fill the gaping hole at mike and simultaneously get Danny on the field. Just like people here have forgotten how well ihenacho played early prior tothetwo ankle injuries. We've also forgotten that wood was solid before hurting his neck and losing half if the beef that had been keeping him clean and allowing him to roam. (Vick and Wolfe). Yes he is light to play mike but he was good pre injury

Simple Jaded
04-30-2014, 10:26 PM
Since Clowney is going #1 overall and since nobody is going to trade for that pick, that is pretty irrelevant. He could be the second coming of Michael Strahan as a sack leader, and it wouldn't matter. Nobody but the Texans is getting him.

I reject your reality and substitute my own, if I owned a farm I believe it would be enough to make it happen.

Cugel
05-01-2014, 01:20 AM
I reject your reality and substitute my own, if I owned a farm I believe it would be enough to make it happen.

It would have to be a farm bigger than the King Ranch in Texas! :laugh:

P.S. for those that don't know, the King Ranch is bigger than Rhode Island.

BroncoJoe
05-01-2014, 08:48 AM
I'm no draft expert, as I don't follow college football much - outside of CU.

I don't believe there is a single player in this draft worth "selling the farm" for. You're talking about a once in a generation type player to do that for, and if that was the case the Texans would not trade out of that spot.

Cugel
05-01-2014, 09:46 AM
I'm no draft expert, as I don't follow college football much - outside of CU.

I don't believe there is a single player in this draft worth "selling the farm" for. You're talking about a once in a generation type player to do that for, and if that was the case the Texans would not trade out of that spot.

I honestly don't think there's any position player who rises to that level of worth, except for QBs. And there's no Andrew Luck in this year's draft. So, sure the Texans would love to trade down out of that pick -- if someone offered them around 3000 points worth of players and draft picks!

Since the 2nd pick is worth 2600 points, the 3rd 2200, 4th 1800, 5th 1700, tenth 1300, 20th 850, 31st 650, and 50th 400 you can see that just to move up from #2 to #1 you would need the #2 and #50 pick in the 2nd round! Teams don't always stick exactly to the points system, but they all think they should get "equal value" which starts with analyzing the points.

So, the team with the #1 overall pick wants a BOATLOAD of picks in exchange because their fans are butt-sore over losing the excitement of that pick. And the team trading up is scared their fans and the media will rip them for being the Minnesota Vikings trading for Herschel Walker.

Thus, it's hard for the #1 pick to trade down. It used to be even harder before the new CBA made rookie salaries more in line with reality.