PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos defensive tackle Terrance Knighton will honor his deal

Denver Native (Carol)
04-28-2014, 11:28 AM
It took three years, but players are beginning to benefit financially from the NFL's collective bargaining agreement.

How do we know this? Well, because even space-eaters are getting paid.

"Trust me, I've seen it," said Broncos defensive tackle Terrance Knighton. "I've kept an eye on it."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25650208/terrance-knighton-contract-denver-broncos-2014

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-28-2014, 11:36 AM
He indicated that when the twitter world blew up over it. He's only response to the fan base's outrage was, "I'm under contract people."

Buff
04-28-2014, 12:53 PM
...Because he really has very little choice.

Dapper Dan
04-28-2014, 12:58 PM
He could always hold out for more money. If he has a terrible year or gets hurt, he probably won't get that big contract. It's actually refreshing to see someone honor the contract they signed.

Buff
04-28-2014, 01:13 PM
He could always hold out for more money. If he has a terrible year or gets hurt, he probably won't get that big contract. It's actually refreshing to see someone honor the contract they signed.

Reminds me of this (racism aside - NSFW):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaPHPQt91w8

Dapper Dan
04-28-2014, 01:18 PM

Before I even watch the video, I hope it's the thing about Latrell Spreewell talking about needing to feed his kids.

Dapper Dan
04-28-2014, 01:18 PM

Lol. It's not what I thought it was, but just as funny. Good point.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-28-2014, 01:31 PM
...Because he really has very little choice.

Well, he could be an idiot, hold out and risk getting fined, and get no where with it. He does have options Buff :D....but to his credit he doesn't sound like an idiot.

NightTerror218
04-28-2014, 09:23 PM
I like to see guys honor contracts. Live up to it and get paid on next one. You earn it you do not ask or demand for it,

BroncoWave
04-28-2014, 09:32 PM
I like to see guys honor contracts. Live up to it and get paid on next one. You earn it you do not ask or demand for it,

I will criticize players for holding out and asking for bigger deals the day teams honor every contract and never cut players. So, never.

NightTerror218
04-28-2014, 10:00 PM
I will criticize players for holding out and asking for bigger deals the day teams honor every contract and never cut players. So, never.

Damn those teams for having to make smart financial decisions. I do not feel bad for players making millions at all. They get cut for not being a good asset. Hold outs just annoy me. Players out play a contract they get bigger ones. It is how it works. If a player under performs like any job.....they can be let go. Not all that hard to understand.

BroncoWave
04-29-2014, 06:13 AM
Damn those teams for having to make smart financial decisions. I do not feel bad for players making millions at all. They get cut for not being a good asset. Hold outs just annoy me. Players out play a contract they get bigger ones. It is how it works. If a player under performs like any job.....they can be let go. Not all that hard to understand.

So basically, it's fine for a team to break the contract if the player isn't living up to the deal, but it's not ok for the player to do so if he is far exceeding the deal? That is a pretty hypocritical stance.

For the record, I am not bashing teams for making smart financial decisions. I'm just pointing out the flaw in your argument. I am perfectly fine with teams cutting players. I am also perfectly fine with players holding out for more money if they outpreform their deal.

spikerman
04-29-2014, 06:30 AM
I imagine the contracts have wording in them along the lines of the player serving at the pleasure of the team. If it's written into the contract that the team can terminate the contract, but the player can't then the player doesn't seem have a leg to stand on once he signs it.

BroncoWave
04-29-2014, 07:48 AM
I imagine the contracts have wording in them along the lines of the player serving at the pleasure of the team. If it's written into the contract that the team can terminate the contract, but the player can't then the player doesn't seem have a leg to stand on once he signs it.

Yeah, obviously the player can't just end the contract at his whim, but they are well within their rights to hold out for more money or a longer deal given the non-guaranteed nature of their contracts. I just find it funny when fans expect complete loyalty to the teams and contracts from players when the players don't get the same from teams.

Buff
04-29-2014, 08:36 AM
Yeah, obviously the player can't just end the contract at his whim, but they are well within their rights to hold out for more money or a longer deal given the non-guaranteed nature of their contracts. I just find it funny when fans expect complete loyalty to the teams and contracts from players when the players don't get the same from teams.

I don't expect complete loyalty - but I'd also suggest that you've been brainwashed by the former player talking heads on TV. If someone is being egregiously underpaid relative to the market and they want to hold out for more money, I understand where they're coming from... But it doesn't mean I have to like it as a fan. Nor does it mean that each hold out is justified. Sometimes it's just an outright selfish move (Maurice Jones Drew comes to mind - a guy who signed a new deal, was already making like $5 million per year and then holds out and ends up getting hurt during the season.)

BroncoWave
04-29-2014, 11:26 AM

I don't expect complete loyalty - but I'd also suggest that you've been brainwashed by the former player talking heads on TV. If someone is being egregiously underpaid relative to the market and they want to hold out for more money, I understand where they're coming from... But it doesn't mean I have to like it as a fan. Nor does it mean that each hold out is justified. Sometimes it's just an outright selfish move (Maurice Jones Drew comes to mind - a guy who signed a new deal, was already making like $5 million per year and then holds out and ends up getting hurt during the season.)

I almost never watch espn unless it's a game, so I don't think I've been brainwashed by talking heads. I generally make my opinion the opposite of what they say when I do hear them.

I'm not saying every holdout is justified either. Obviously you have guys who are greedy and hold out for more when they are already making fair market value, but I feel like many fans will bash a guy who even hints at wanting more money.

Unless it's something super egregious, I'm almost never going to fault a guy for holding out for more money or a longer deal. Any player could get cut today and never see another dime in the NFL, so I don't blame them for not being loyal to their contacts.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-29-2014, 11:30 AM
Every player knows that when the sign a contract they are signing for the gauranteed money.

dogfish
05-01-2014, 07:29 PM
I almost never watch espn unless it's a game, so I don't think I've been brainwashed by talking heads. I generally make my opinion the opposite of what they say when I do hear them.

you do that with everyone-- it's why you annoy people so badly. . . ;)

BroncoWave
05-01-2014, 08:52 PM
you do that with everyone-- it's why you annoy people so badly. . . ;)

I do not, you idiot! ;)

nevcraw
05-05-2014, 08:43 PM

Poor Poor NFL teams! Damn those players for trying to secure the best possible financial situation for themselves knowing each time they step out on the field could be their last. Like NFL teams don't work with their best interest in mind. stringing guys along with franchise tags who have no guarantee of another pay check with an injury.