PDA

View Full Version : Derek Wolfe good to go again for Broncos with scary ordeal over

Denver Native (Carol)
04-27-2014, 11:47 AM
Even when Derek Wolfe was not of sound mind or body, his competitive instincts never betrayed him.

It was the final Saturday night of November, and while the Broncos were gathered for a team meeting at a Kansas City-area hotel conference room in preparation for the next day's game against the rival Chiefs, their starting defensive end was coming out of a 26-hour, medically induced coma.

Hospital doctors made a mistake. They should have kept Wolfe comatose for at least 27 hours.

"I remember waking up and trying to rip the breathing tube out," Wolfe said.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25645694/scary-ordeal-over-denver-broncos-derek-wolfe-is

Denver Native (Carol)
04-27-2014, 12:37 PM
This article explains exactly what happened, and exactly what Derek went thru.

The following caught my attention:

There were dark periods after the episode. Wolfe said his depression intensified. He shut himself inside his home. He kept his family away, except for his good friend "Cubby" and his brother Josh, who had returned from New Jersey to stay for a month.

About the only other people who could occasionally get through to him were the Millers.

"Von and his mom and his dad — his mom will call me still and make sure I'm all right," Wolfe said. "Von's like family."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25645694/scary-ordeal-over-denver-broncos-derek-wolfe-is

VonDoom
04-27-2014, 01:09 PM
I just finished reading this before I jumped over here. Great article with some really interesting insight. I'm glad they finally shed some light on what happened during that whole scary time, because practically every week, we were asking the question here.

The best news is that he seems to be in great shape right now, physically and mentally. Another big plus to our defense this year :beer:

atwater27
04-27-2014, 01:26 PM
It still really doesn't answer questions about what really was the cause of what happened to him. Seems like a mystery illness. Maybe mental health or concussion issues.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-27-2014, 01:38 PM
It still really doesn't answer questions about what really was the cause of what happened to him. Seems like a mystery illness. Maybe mental health or concussion issues.

from article:

Doctors said Wolfe suffered a slight seizure during the team's bus ride to Denver International Airport on Nov. 29, 2013. But what really happened is Wolfe short-circuited his nervous system. He had pushed his body to such extreme limits, his body couldn't take it anymore.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25645694/scary-ordeal-over-denver-broncos-derek-wolfe-is

Simple Jaded
04-27-2014, 10:10 PM
I like Wolfe, hope this is behind him. Idk tho.

Shazam!
04-27-2014, 10:26 PM
Denver needs all the help they can get to push ahead.

God speed Mr. Wolfe.

CoachChaz
04-27-2014, 10:29 PM
Retirement sounds like the smart option here

Dzone
04-27-2014, 10:43 PM
One would think there is some kind of scaring somewhere. Brain stem injuries are serious, if thats what happened. Hope he makes it back 100% and gets Comeback Player Of The Year

Rick
04-27-2014, 11:12 PM
I hope I am wrong but I worry he may be done.

MOtorboat
04-27-2014, 11:22 PM

God speed Mr. Wolfe.

Yes, because Denver is in dire straights.

:whoknows:

GEM
04-28-2014, 09:48 AM

Read through it....doctors said he was overdoing everything and his body shut down.

Jsteve01
04-28-2014, 06:05 PM
Retirement sounds like the smart opltion here I don't agree at all. I watched my brother do that to himself when we were younger and he had heart issues and all kinds if stuff all as a result of over training. It sounds like that's what Wolfe did and the drs are fine with him coming back. I can't wait to watch him prove all the people that doubted his abilitites this year wrong

atwater27
04-28-2014, 06:17 PM
Read through it....doctors said he was overdoing everything and his body shut down.

I did read through it. I would love to believe that. Something tells me it's not that cut and dry.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-28-2014, 06:31 PM
I did read through it. I would love to believe that. Something tells me it's not that cut and dry.

I know, damage to the brain steam/neverous system/brain can be pretty scary. My son had a pretty bad concussion playing summer ball before his freshman year, then, in the second game of his sophomore year he suffered another bad concussion. Both times he had headaches that lasted for a month, and his cognitive skills and grades really suffered. It really sucks because he's a very gifted athlete. We really believed he could have landed a scholarship. He's 16 and 6'1" 175 and runs like a gazelle. He's running a low 4.7 right now. Inspite of all of that we fealt like he had to quit football. Even though doctors cleared him to play again there's just so much they don't know about what can or can't cause risk long term, and my son's long term health isn't worth it. I still get sick to my stomach sometimes when I think about him not playing anymore, but not as sick as I would feel if he sustained another concussion.

atwater27
04-28-2014, 06:38 PM
I know, damage to the brain steam/neverous system/brain can be pretty scary. My son had a pretty bad concussion playing summer ball before his freshman year, then, in the second game of his sophomore year he suffered another bad concussion. Both times he had headaches that lasted for a month, and his cognitive skills and grades really suffered. It really sucks because he's a very gifted athlete. We really believed he could have landed a scholarship. He's 16 and 6'1" 175 and runs like a gazelle. He's running a low 4.7 right now. Inspite of all of that we fealt like he had to quit football. Even though doctors cleared him to play again there's just so much they don't know about what can or can't cause risk long term, and my son's long term health isn't worth it. I still get sick to my stomach sometimes when I think about him not playing anymore, but not as sick as I would feel if he sustained another concussion.
My son played one season, at 8 yrs old. I won't let him play anymore. concussions are for real, and not the good real.

Shazam!
04-28-2014, 07:03 PM

God speed Mr. Wolfe.

Yes, because Denver is in dire straights.

:whoknows:

You're right, the Broncos are solid as a rock on Defense. No help needed, no reason to get better, no need for improvement.

Jesus.

NightTerror218
04-28-2014, 09:19 PM
Awesome that he is back up to 285 and full participant last week in OTAs

Cugel
05-01-2014, 09:35 AM

You would have been madder than the March Hare to let him play if he's had several serious concussions as you describe. Former NFL players in their 50's are dying of various illnesses related to brain trauma suffered playing football. They literally cripple their bodies. I recently took a cab ride and the driver mentioned that he was a former LB for the Bengals. He lasted 2 years in the NFL about 20 years ago, and never started. He still has serious pain from his hip and is on medication for brain trauma he suffered.

Football is a violent sport. If players choose to play it, fine. They're making a conscious decision. But, if it were my son and he had the kinds of medical issues you describe, no way he'd be on a football field. Period.

tomjonesrocks
05-06-2014, 08:20 AM
Sheesh--that's a rough day for a paramedic. Trying to restrain an out-of-control Derek Wolfe in an ambulance?

In any case, from the sounds of it the team should have IR-ed him weeks earlier than they did last season.

Cugel
05-06-2014, 09:44 AM
I do hope he's really alright and not just determined to "fight through injury" and come back. I hope there's no long-lasting damage to him that will hurt him in future years. But, I wouldn't like to be in his place taking that risk.

His personal choice is his personal choice. We can respect it. But, there are things in life more important than football.

BroncoNut
05-06-2014, 09:49 AM
Gem and Atwater, stop it now. I'll report both of yewz

BroncoNut
05-06-2014, 09:50 AM
You're right, the Broncos are solid as a rock on Defense. No help needed, no reason to get better, no need for improvement.

Jesus.

I'm with you there Shazam, Mo is happy with a superbowl appearance, that's all that matters to him. never mind what happens at the actual game, that's a nonissue

Shazam!
05-06-2014, 10:22 AM

Jesus.

I'm with you there Shazam, Mo is happy with a superbowl appearance, that's all that matters to him. never mind what happens at the actual game, that's a nonissue

We have eyes apparently.

BroncoNut
05-06-2014, 11:03 AM
We have eyes apparently.

yeah, eyes for each other

(just kidding)

mo don't know football

Shazam!
05-06-2014, 11:55 AM
We have eyes apparently.

yeah, eyes for each other

(just kidding)

mo don't know football

I didn't mean it like that lol

BroncoNut
05-06-2014, 12:13 PM
I didn't mean it like that lol

I know you didn't , I just take whatever I can get.

but seriously, mo posts some pretty stupid things sometimes. I knew exactly what you meant

OrangeFanatic
05-06-2014, 02:31 PM
GOD DAMNIT I love him. He's one of my top 3 fav players. But I don't want him to ruin his life so I can have some gratification.

dogfish
05-07-2014, 12:10 PM
dang. . . apparently, lots of folks here either play a doctor on TV, or stayed at a holiday inn express last night. . .

Shazam!
05-08-2014, 07:14 AM
I have a discount at HI, they're a client.