PDA

View Full Version : Alleged Sterling talk being probed

Pages : [1] 2

Denver Native (Carol)
04-26-2014, 03:26 PM
An audio recording purportedly of Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling making racist remarks to his girlfriend is being investigated by the NBA.

In the recording, the man believed to be Sterling questions his girlfriend, V. Stiviano, about her association with minorities. TMZ reports that Stiviano, who is black and Mexican, posted a picture of her with Magic Johnson on Instagram, a photo that has since been removed.

"It bothers me a lot that you want to broadcast that you're associating with black people. Do you have to?" the man believed to be Sterling says. He continues, "You can sleep with [black people]. You can bring them in, you can do whatever you want. The little I ask you is not to promote it on that ... and not to bring them to my games."

rest - plus video - http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10843525/nba-investigating-offensive-audio-recording-allegedly-los-angeles-clippers-owner-donald-sterling

Dapper Dan
04-26-2014, 04:58 PM
I wouldn't want people know my girlfriend was banging black guys. I also wouldn't tell my wife about my girlfriend.

atwater27
04-26-2014, 06:57 PM
What a shame. Now people are going to hate on the Clippers players and coaches and fans. Direct the hate at the owner. He will get his due when the players bolt next chance they get, demand trades and they will get no decent free agents in the future. He will be forced to sell the team. Dumbass. Dude made millions off the backs of black people and he hasn't found a way to get past his racism? Now that's hate.

Dapper Dan
04-26-2014, 07:23 PM
What a shame. Now people are going to hate on the Clippers players and coaches and fans. Direct the hate at the owner. He will get his due when the players bolt next chance they get, demand trades and they will get no decent free agents in the future. He will be forced to sell the team. Dumbass. Dude made millions off the backs of black people and he hasn't found a way to get past his racism? Now that's hate.

I'm not sure if anything will happen. It's far from the first time he's done something like this. Maybe the league will fine him.

atwater27
04-26-2014, 07:26 PM
I'm not sure if anything will happen. It's far from the first time he's done something like this. Maybe the league will fine him.

No. People after this season will straight out demand trades, refuse to play for him, refuse to come as free agents. He will (deservedly) be pressured by a ton of groups. He'll sell the team.

Dapper Dan
04-26-2014, 07:27 PM
In August 2006, the U.S. Department of Justice sued Sterling for housing discrimination in using race as a factor in filling some of his apartment buildings. The suit charged that Sterling refused to rent to non-Koreans in the Koreatown neighborhood and to African Americans in Beverly Hills.[5] The suit alleges Sterling once said he did not like to rent to Hispanics because they "smoke, drink and just hang around the building," and that "Black tenants smell and attract vermin."[5] In November 2009, ESPN reported that Sterling agreed to pay a fine of $2.73 million to settle claims brought by the Justice Department and Davin Day of Newport Beach that he engaged in discriminatory rental practices against Hispanics, blacks, and families with children.[6] In addition, Sterling was also ordered to pay attorneys' fees and costs in that action of $4,923,554.75. [Order Granting Motion for Prevailing Party's Attorneys' Fees and Costs, dated November 2, 2005, C.D. Cal. Case No. 2:03-cv-00859-DSF-E Dkt No. 454]. In granting the attorney's fees and costs Judge Dale S. Fischer noted "Sterling's' scorched earth' litigation tactics, some of which are described by the Plaintiffs' counsel and some of which were observed by the Court. The Court has no difficulty accepting Plaintiffs' counsel's representations that the time required to be spent on this case was increased by defendant's counsel's often unacceptable, and sometimes outrageous conduct." [Id. at p. 5]

In February 2009, Sterling was sued by former longtime Clippers executive Elgin Baylor for employment discrimination on the basis of age and race.[7] The lawsuit alleges Sterling told Baylor that he wanted to fill his team with "poor black boys from the South and a white head coach".[5] The suit alleges that during negotiations for Danny Manning, Sterling said "I'm offering a lot of money for a poor black kid."[5][8] The suit noted those comments while alleging "the Caucasian head coach was given a four-year, $22-million contract", but Baylor's salary had "been frozen at a comparatively paltry $350,000 since 2003".[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Sterling

OrangeHoof
04-26-2014, 07:49 PM
He gets out of this easily - by owning the NBA's first all-gay team. Change the logo to include hair clippers and put them in pink shoes with little bells. All of Hollywood will be lined up in his corner. Dennis Rodman can coach.

aberdien
04-26-2014, 10:48 PM
I don't see this racist SOB making it out of this one.

BroncoWave
04-26-2014, 10:53 PM
When I first saw the headline I just thought "really, we are getting outraged over an old white guy saying something racist?", but after seeing the comments that is pretty bad. This actually deserves all of the outrage that Riley Cooper drunkenly shouting the N word got.

Dzone
04-26-2014, 11:06 PM
Ya, with his team threatening to boycott the playoffs because of the racist comments, it looks like Sterling is finished and is going to go down in flames. An angry old man. Sad.
Moral of the story-If you are high profile, When out in public, Dont say anything that you wouldnt want recorded
Edit-.After hearing what this guy said,he is pretty pathetic. Pretty blatant racist. Unless its not really his voice.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/clippers-considered-boycotting-game-4-against-warriors-in-wake-of-owner-s-alleged-comments-235601798.html

FanInAZ
04-26-2014, 11:15 PM
First of all, note that this story was first reported by TMZ.

BroncoWave
04-26-2014, 11:23 PM

They have a tape recording. It's not like it was hearsay from an unreliable TMZ reporter.

Dzone
04-26-2014, 11:46 PM
TMZ is owned by a group of attorneys

aberdien
04-27-2014, 04:10 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BmQIbEpIMAAwKWb.jpg

FanInAZ
04-27-2014, 04:26 PM
There's something significant missing from this incident, an apology or denial by Sterling himself. It's been 48 hours since TMZ broke this story, how do you not respond to something like this ASAP.

As I was typing this, the sideline reporter reported that his wife isn't sure that's her husband's voice.

Northman
04-27-2014, 06:56 PM
There is also a report that his girlfriend is being sued by another family member and mentioned that she would get revenge. What that means exactly im not sure but either way the dude has a history of racism and hasnt denied the allegations so i think its more than likely something he said. Not sure if the NBA can fine him or what will happen but im pretty players wont be sticking around or wanting to sign up to be a Clipper anytime soon.

MOtorboat
04-27-2014, 08:21 PM
Disclaimer: Donald Sterling appears to be a scumbag.

But the outrage over this is hilarious. This guy is a known racist. Multiple incidents have happened years before. But now Doc Rivers doesn't want to be his coach and now Magic Johnson doesn't want to go to games? It's disingenuous outrage. His racism is documented. Why now is it suddenly a deal breaker?

Denver Native (Carol)
04-27-2014, 08:21 PM
Deadspin has acquired an extended, 15-minute version of the conversation between Clippers owner Donald Sterling and his then-girlfriend V. Stiviano. If the original nine-minute tape acquired by TMZ left any questions about Sterling's opinions regarding minorities, the audio here should remove all doubt that he's a doddering racist with views not too far removed from the plantation.

You can find the new audio in the above video, which contains the transcript. (This version is also a little crisper than the original and has some extra background activity around the edges, which indicates that this was recorded in a house.) As with the original, we don't know if this has been edited in some way. The NBA is investigating. Thus far, Sterling's team has offered only a tepid response, lightly suggesting the possibility that the original audio had been doctored and pointing out that V. Stiviano had recently been sued by the Sterlings.

You can find the new audio in the above video, which contains the transcript. (This version is also a little crisper than the original and has some extra background activity around the edges, which indicates that this was recorded in a house.) As with the original, we don't know if this has been edited in some way. The NBA is investigating. Thus far, Sterling's team has offered only a tepid response, lightly suggesting the possibility that the original audio had been doctored and pointing out that V. Stiviano had recently been sued by the Sterlings.

video - http://deadspin.com/exclusive-the-extended-donald-sterling-tape-1568291249

For those who do not know, Stiviano is half black, half mexican

Dapper Dan
04-27-2014, 08:24 PM

But the outrage over this is hilarious. This guy is a known racist. Multiple incidents have happened years before. But now Doc Rivers doesn't want to be his coach and now Magic Johnson doesn't want to go to games? It's disingenuous outrage. His racism is documented. Why now is it suddenly a deal breaker?

That's kind of what I was thinking.

I also wonder if saying something racist is worse than torturing and killing dogs, or any other actual action. But I don't want people to think I'm downplaying the comments and claim I'm racist.

BroncoWave
04-27-2014, 08:30 PM

I wasn't even aware of this. But now that I am, this is a pretty good point. I would assume the outrage is greater now because this is the first incident in the Twitter era and now everyone knows about it?

MOtorboat
04-27-2014, 08:33 PM
I wasn't even aware of this. But now that I am, this is a pretty good point. I would assume the outrage is greater now because this is the first incident in the Twitter era and now everyone knows about it?

He's already been sued twice for discrimination. One was settled out of court in a case where the U.S. Government sued him for discrimination in a housing project he started. The other was Elgin Baylor, the former GM, who alleged the work environment there was discriminatory for 20 years. That suit was dismissed, but this is documented, and one of the situations is a player that I know Magic Johnson and Doc Rivers know.

BroncoWave
04-27-2014, 08:37 PM
He's already been sued twice for discrimination. One was settled out of court in a case where the U.S. Government sued him for discrimination in a housing project he started. The other was Elgin Baylor, the former GM, who alleged the work environment there was discriminatory for 20 years. That suit was dismissed, but this is documented, and one of the situations is a player that I know Magic Johnson and Doc Rivers know.

Yes, but in those cases he has some sort of plausible deniability as there was no actual conviction or ruling against him. In this case, it appears to be outright proof of his racism.

MOtorboat
04-27-2014, 08:38 PM
Yes, but in those cases he has some sort of plausible deniability as there was no actual conviction or ruling against him. In this case, it appears to be outright proof of his racism.

We have no definitive proof here, either.

BroncoWave
04-27-2014, 08:38 PM
We have no definitive proof here, either.

True, but this still appears to be something more tangible than a court case that didn't amount to any sort of ruling against him.

MOtorboat
04-27-2014, 08:40 PM
True, but this still appears to be something more tangible than a court case that didn't amount to any sort of ruling against him.

Why?

We don't even have a court case here. We have an audio recording that TMZ tells us is him.

BroncoWave
04-27-2014, 08:43 PM
Why?

We don't even have a court case here. We have an audio recording that TMZ tells us is him.

I can't read Magic Johnson's mind, but I'm assuming he's simply operating under the assumption that it really was his voice. If you are operating under this assumption, then this tape is more tangible than either of those court cases.

MOtorboat
04-27-2014, 08:45 PM
I can't read Magic Johnson's mind, but I'm assuming he's simply operating under the assumption that it really was his voice. If you are operating under this assumption, then this tape is more tangible than either of those court cases.

Court cases with testimony in front of a judge? I'm not saying he didn't do these things, but it's pretty much a stretch to me to say you didn't know he wasn't a racist if you even do an ounce of research on him.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-27-2014, 08:49 PM
Donald Sterling’s wife of more than 50 years describes his alleged mistress as a gold digger who seduces older, wealthy men and persuades them to shower her with gifts, according to a lawsuit filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court on March 7.

The Clippers team owner and a woman identified as V. Stiviano allegedly began an affair after meeting at the 2010 Super Bowl game and were still in the relationship as of the filing date, according to the lawsuit filed by Rochelle H. Sterling, who is described in the suit as "a married woman seeking to protect and recover community property in her individual capacity."

Rochelle Sterling alleges that her husband used community property to buy Stiviano a 2012 Ferrari, two Bentleys and a 2013 Range Rover, worth a total of more than $500,0000.

Sterling also allegedly gave Stiviano $1.8 million to buy a duplex on West 4th Street near the Beverly Center last December, according to the suit, which claims that Sterling additionally provided her with $240,000 for upkeep and living expenses.

rest - http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-sterlings-wife-describes-girlfriend-as-gold-digger-in-lawsuit-20140426,0,4883913.story#axzz3062ETEIm

BroncoWave
04-27-2014, 08:49 PM
Court cases with testimony in front of a judge? I'm not saying he didn't do these things, but it's pretty much a stretch to me to say you didn't know he wasn't a racist if you even do an ounce of research on him.

Perhaps. Regardless, I don't think Magic Johnson is the one who should be being criticized here for being disingenuous about his outrage. Neither of us know how much he knew about Sterling or what is going through his head in this regard. Even if he is being disingenuous, it shouldn't take away from the story of what a scumbag Sterling is.

ShaneFalco
04-27-2014, 08:54 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/obama-reported-comments-team-owner-racist-062627453--politics.html

Obama: Reported comments by team owner 'racist'

Denver Native (Carol)
04-27-2014, 09:24 PM
Obviously, I have no clue if this is legit or not. I am confused as to why he would say racist things against blacks, when his girlfriend is half black.

ALSO

Furthermore, Roeser claims the woman on the tape is the defendant in a lawsuit filed by the Sterling family that claims she embezzled more than $1.8 million. Sterling told Roeser that the woman said she would "get even" with Sterling for bringing the lawsuit against her.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-sterlings-wife-describes-girlfriend-as-gold-digger-in-lawsuit-20140426,0,4883913.story#axzz3062ETEIm

And someone had to have given that tape to TMZ

Dapper Dan
04-27-2014, 09:44 PM
I wish I could remember where I first heard about Sterling about a year or so ago. The guy who was talking about him said he was a racist and couldn't believe players continued to play for him.

Dzone
04-27-2014, 09:45 PM
Whats up with him telling his girlfriend its okay if she has sex with other guys? What a weird arrangement that must be. She doesnt even have to have sex with sterling, and gets all the fringe benefits...LOL...what kind of ******* goes out with a half black girl and talks shit about the race she is a part of? Disrespectful mother******. She probably wont dump him because she is cashing in on the canard

Dapper Dan
04-27-2014, 09:50 PM
Whats up with him telling his girlfriend its okay if she has sex with other guys? What a weird arrangement that must be. She doesnt even have to have sex with sterling, and gets all the fringe benefits...LOL...what kind of ******* goes out with a half black girl and talks shit about the race she is a part of? Disrespectful mother******. She probably wont dump him because she is cashing in on the canard

White people are weird. :tsk:

Dzone
04-27-2014, 10:10 PM
White people are weird. :tsk:
Those people are often misunderstood and tend to get blamed for everything that is wrong with America

atwater27
04-27-2014, 10:22 PM

old fat ugly people with money tend to have those types of relationships with young hot girls.

ShaneFalco
04-27-2014, 11:17 PM
i need to see a picture of this woman.

Dzone
04-27-2014, 11:30 PM
i need to see a picture of this woman.
She is hot. Until she smiles.

Dzone
04-27-2014, 11:52 PM
Now Jesse Jackson is getting involved and he is upset that the investigation is not moving faster.
They said this will be the big story on the morning network news shows,. They cant wait for monday morning. This story is becoming the #1 story in America. The entire world will be looking at this. Everyone wants to know what is going to happen to sterling.

MOtorboat
04-27-2014, 11:59 PM
Now Jesse Jackson is getting involved and he is upset that the investigation is not moving faster.
They said this will be the big story on the morning network news shows,. They cant wait for monday morning. This story is becoming the #1 story in America. The entire world will be looking at this. Everyone wants to know what is going to happen to sterling.

No they won't. People are dead in a tornado outbreak today. Sports and a racist owner are secondary.

Dzone
04-28-2014, 12:57 AM
what is the story of this tape? It is very clear and done with a high grade recorder. Did V. Stiviano tape this herself with sterling knowledge? One story has her saying she intended to pay Sterling back for something.
This V. Stiviano is kind of like that blonde playboy girl who married the 95 year old dude and sued his estate for millions.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-sterlings-wife-describes-girlfriend-as-gold-digger-in-lawsuit-20140426,0,4883913.story#axzz309oXi4u9

OB
04-28-2014, 08:24 AM
Any man with his money at his age knows damn good and well what he is getting when he starts dating the young hot chicks

Put him in a jeans and tshirt selling hot dogs at the game and that bitch wouldnt look twice at him

I do understand the outrage but at the same time no one should be shocked - he is the same person he has always been

And I dont see what the NBA can do other than fine him but he OWNS the team - therefore the team belongs to him - you cant take it away from him

And there will always be someone willing to play for him - most people are ruled by the almighty $$$$$$$$$$$$

OrangeHoof
04-28-2014, 09:17 AM
So, Angelenos. Would you rather have Donald Sterling running the Clippers or Frank McCourt? Do y'all have multi-millionaire sports owners out there that aren't scumbags?

Denver Native (Carol)
04-28-2014, 11:05 AM
Any man with his money at his age knows damn good and well what he is getting when he starts dating the young hot chicks

Put him in a jeans and tshirt selling hot dogs at the game and that bitch wouldnt look twice at him

I do understand the outrage but at the same time no one should be shocked - he is the same person he has always been

And I dont see what the NBA can do other than fine him but he OWNS the team - therefore the team belongs to him - you cant take it away from him

And there will always be someone willing to play for him - most people are ruled by the almighty $$$$$$$$$$$$

Good points. The NBA can fine him a major amount of money, and give him a lifetime ban from attending any NBA games. He owns the Clippers, but he does not own Staples Center, or any other NBA arena. I can not see where he can be forced to sell the Clippers.

weazel
04-28-2014, 11:10 AM
news alert! old people are racist.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-28-2014, 11:52 AM
CarMax became the first sponsor of the Los Angeles Clippers to jump ship Monday as advertisers ponder their partnerships with the team in the wake of owner Donald Sterling's purported racist remarks.

"CarMax finds the statements attributed to the Clippers' owner completely unacceptable," the company said in a statement through public relations manager Catherine Gryp on Monday. "These views directly conflict with CarMax's culture of respect for all individuals. While we have been a proud Clippers sponsor for nine years and support the team, fans and community, these statements necessitate that CarMax end its sponsorship."

State Farm said it will closely monitor the situation and assess its options.

rest - http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10851689/sponsors-ponder-deals-los-angeles-clippers-donald-sterling-purported-racist-comments

BroncoNut
04-28-2014, 11:58 AM

that's what I was thinking. I dont' follow the Clippers or this sterling fellow, but he sounds pretty slimy.

Dapper Dan
04-28-2014, 12:00 PM
LA only needs one team anyway. Send the Clippers to Kentucky. Let Jennifer Lawrence or someone buy the team.

BroncoNut
04-28-2014, 12:00 PM

true dat!! they are ob,

weazel
04-28-2014, 03:21 PM
so let me get this straight... a recording surfaces with the owner of the Clippers making disparaging and/or racist remarks about Magic Johnson and black people and a couple days later reports surface about Magic Johnson wanting to buy the Clippers..... yep sounds like total coincidence and not fishy at all. Sounds like the magic man was behind the recordings to me. What does he think, the teams value will go down if the owner is looked at as a racist?

Denver Native (Carol)
04-28-2014, 03:26 PM
so let me get this straight... a recording surfaces with the owner of the Clippers making disparaging and/or racist remarks about Magic Johnson and black people and a couple days later reports surface about Magic Johnson wanting to buy the Clippers..... yep sounds like total coincidence and not fishy at all. Sounds like the magic man was behind the recordings to me. What does he think, the teams value will go down if the owner is looked at as a racist?

Very interesting, to say the least. Or, it could just have been good timing. Previously, there was an article that he wanted to buy the Lakers, and was told that the team was not for sale. So, he and his partners are interested in wanting to own a basketball team.

MOtorboat
04-28-2014, 03:40 PM
Wow.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-28-2014, 03:45 PM
Yahoo Sports reports that former Laker and Hall-of-Famer Magic Johnson is interested in purchasing the Los Angeles Clippers from Donald Sterling in the wake of the alleged racist comments from Sterling that broke into a firestorm of scandal this weekend.

Magic Johnson and his billionaire backers, the Guggenheim Partners, want a chance to purchase the Los Angeles Clippers, league sources told Yahoo Sports. "Magic's absolutely interested," one source closely connected to Johnson's business interests told Yahoo Sports on Sunday night.

To bail themselves out of the NBA's worst crisis of credibility since the Tim Donaghy officiating scandal, the easy part for the NBA will be enlisting the eagerness and financial muscle of Magic Johnson and Mark Walter of the Guggenheim Partners – owners of the Los Angeles Dodgers.

rest - http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24543425/report-magic-johnson-wants-to-buy-the-clippers

Denver Native (Carol)
04-28-2014, 03:51 PM
from this article:

For commissioner Adam Silver, the chance to turn the Clippers over to Magic Johnson and his partners is the best possible of solutions. Exit Sterling, enter Magic. It would be the greatest trade in sports ownership history since, well, Magic for the McCourts, with the Dodgers.

"This is 100 percent Magic's plan," a league official intimately involved in the buying and selling of franchises told Yahoo Sports.

full article - http://sports.yahoo.com/news/exit-strategy-for-nba--donald-sterling--sell-clippers-to-magic-johnson-073015142.html

OB
04-28-2014, 04:00 PM
Ya the timing seems a bit funky here doesnt it

Does Magic still have AIDS?

Dzone
04-28-2014, 04:08 PM
lol

Donald Trump believes she's partly responsible for this. On "Fox and Friends," Trump called Sterling's comments "terrible and despicable." But he went further: "He got set up by a very, very bad girlfriend, let’s face it. She’s called ‘the girlfriend from hell.’"
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/who-is-v--stiviano--and-what-s-her-connection-to-the-donald-sterling-story-191703972.html

OB
04-28-2014, 04:14 PM
To call her a girlfriend is giving her too much credit - she is a legalized prostitute

Why he would ever trust a woman like that is beyond me - serves him right

slim
Ya the timing seems a bit funky here doesnt it

Does Magic still have AIDS?

Lol

OB
Everyone quit LOL'ng - it pisses nut off

MOtorboat
04-28-2014, 05:29 PM
Everyone quit LOL'ng - it pisses nut off

Lol.

Dapper Dan
04-28-2014, 05:31 PM
Magic should get first shot at buying the Clippers. Affirmative Action, or something.

Dapper Dan
04-28-2014, 05:35 PM
Lol.

Now I think everyone in this thread should edit their comments to "Lol".

weazel
04-28-2014, 07:00 PM
Magic should get first shot at buying the Clippers. Affirmative Action, or something.

The NBA can't take the Clippers away from an owner for making racist remarks, if anything, the NBA should be looking at some kind of tampering against Magic Johnson. There would be no "first shot" at acquiring the team, IF the team was even for sale. There would be offers and the current owner would weigh said offers. The team is estimated to be worth 530+ milllion dollars, unless Magic came in with an offer way above that mark, I don't see the current owner even thinking about it. This is the best his team has looked, why would he sell?

OB
04-28-2014, 08:33 PM
Is it any coincidence south park is airing its extremely racist episodes tonight

http://youtu.be/IwrUkeYxUF0

Dapper Dan
04-29-2014, 12:16 AM
Big ups to my Pacers for not showing up in the playoffs, due to the Sterling situation.

OrangeHoof
04-29-2014, 04:58 AM
Bigger props to the Bucks and Sixers for not showing up ALL SEASON over this Sterling thing. That'll teach 'em.

Hawgdriver
04-29-2014, 10:23 AM

Sez the guy in the media biz.

MOtorboat
04-29-2014, 10:43 AM
Sez the guy in the media biz.

?

Bomani Jones wrote a column about this five years ago.

Hawgdriver
04-29-2014, 11:16 AM
I missed it.

Just saying that the "outrage" is really a media-channeled thing. No, it's not surprising but it's great copy, so let's milk it.

Dapper Dan
04-29-2014, 11:41 AM
?

Bomani Jones wrote a column about this five years ago.

That's probably who I heard talking about Sterling a while back. I think it might have been on Around the Horn

MOtorboat
04-29-2014, 12:41 PM
I missed it.

Just saying that the "outrage" is really a media-channeled thing. No, it's not surprising but it's great copy, so let's milk it.

So you think the AP called up Chris Paul, LeBron James and Magic Johnson to tweet? The outrage wasn't even prompted by media questions.

VonDoom
04-29-2014, 01:25 PM
Sterling gets a lifetime ban:

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10857580/donald-sterling-los-angeles-clippers-owner-receives-life-ban-nba

... which prompts me to ask - how does own ban an owner of a team, exactly? Am I naive? I just don't get how it's possible. He OWNS the team.

Pudge
04-29-2014, 01:33 PM

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10857580/donald-sterling-los-angeles-clippers-owner-receives-life-ban-nba

... which prompts me to ask - how does own ban an owner of a team, exactly? Am I naive? I just don't get how it's possible. He OWNS the team.

I don't get it either, and if he has a life time ban, why would he pay 2.5 million

slim
04-29-2014, 01:44 PM
I am going to need more details.

aberdien
04-29-2014, 01:46 PM
here you go

http://time.com/79732/donald-sterling-los-angeles-clippers-2/

OB
04-29-2014, 01:47 PM
Since when is having an opinion (albeit an outdated and bigoted one) a punishable act in this country. Oh wait - never mind - we live in the land of freedom of speech (I forgot). If we punished ignorance and stupidity 99% of the world would be in trouble. Plus you aren't going to change his mind or his ways by punishing him. He's 80. He is who he is. The punishment is to appease the people he pissed off and has nothing to do with trying to fix the problem.

I dont think this is much different than than Mozilla CEO losing his job over donating to the anti-gay movement. This man was set up and said these things in a heated discussion in the privacy of his own home - I think we have all said some pretty stupid things in similar situations - no one should be punished for speaking their minds in their own homes.

As much as I disagree with his opinions and what he said, I disagree with the "punishment" he received just as much.

slim
04-29-2014, 01:50 PM
Since when is having an opinion (albeit an outdated and bigoted one) a punishable act in this country. Oh wait - never mind - we live in the land of freedom of speech (I forgot). If we punished ignorance and stupidity 99% of the world would be in trouble. Plus you aren't going to change his mind or his ways by punishing him. He's 80. He is who he is. The punishment is to appease the people he pissed off and has nothing to do with trying to fix the problem.

I dont think this is much different than than Mozilla CEO losing his job over donating to the anti-gay movement. This man was set up and said these things in a heated discussion in the privacy of his own home - I think we have all said some pretty stupid things in similar situations - no one should be punished for speaking their minds in their own homes.

As much as I disagree with his opinions and what he said, I disagree with the "punishment" he received just as much.

The league has to distance itself from Steriling. That is just good business.

MOtorboat
04-29-2014, 01:51 PM

He's not being punished by the government, therefore any rights of free speech are not applicable to the situation.

Marge Schott, the late owner of the Reds, was banned several times 20 years ago for anti-Semitic comments.

aberdien
04-29-2014, 01:52 PM
You have to deal with the consequences of your free speech, OB. If you are a prominent face of a company and you say something that damages the reputation of a company, you must face the consequences. This is how free speech works, and why the free market rules.

OB
04-29-2014, 02:04 PM
I understand about the constitutional aspect thats why I didnt say anything about anyone violating his "right to free speech"

And I understand you must suffer consequences of your actions BUT i will reiterate - he was in the PRIVACY of his own home - granted - he has had prior issues - I just think we are on a slippery slope when something you SAY in your own home can cause the consequences that he is facing. I listened to most of the recording - he wasn't dropping "N" bombs left and right or anything vulgar like Mel Gibson for instance. He was having a private conversation. This ONLY went public because of the gold digging skank.

I think in any situation, you have to look at all of the circumstance surrounding that event and take everything into consideration before passing judgment.

OB
04-29-2014, 02:06 PM
I've also read that """As for Mr. Sterling's ownership interest in the Clippers," Silver said. "I will urge the board of governors to force a sale of the team and will do everything in my power to ensure that happens.....The owners have the authority subject to 3/4 vote, to remove him as owner," Silver said."""

I wonder how this is going to work. Or I wonder if he could give it to one of his kids or something to keep it in the family?

Northman
04-29-2014, 02:06 PM
Abe basically nailed it. Sterling has a right to believe what he believes, this is America and he has that right to express himself even if he might of been baited or illegally recorded in the process. But, the NBA also has the right to not associate with Sterling or have him a part of their organization because it goes against their image of diversity and fairness. I think in some ways it sucks for Sterling because its not like he had a team full of white guys and he paid his athletes quite well. But when your skeleton comes out of the closet you basically reap what you sow.

Poet
04-29-2014, 02:11 PM
His views are bad for business and they're going to force him to sell the team. I did not think that they would go so far, but I do not have a problem with it.

aberdien
04-29-2014, 02:12 PM
I understand about the constitutional aspect thats why I didnt say anything about anyone violating his "right to free speech"

And I understand you must suffer consequences of your actions BUT i will reiterate - he was in the PRIVACY of his own home - granted - he has had prior issues - I just think we are on a slippery slope when something you SAY in your own home can cause the consequences that he is facing. I listened to most of the recording - he wasn't dropping "N" bombs left and right or anything vulgar like Mel Gibson for instance. He was having a private conversation. This ONLY went public because of the gold digging skank.

I think in any situation, you have to look at all of the circumstance surrounding that event and take everything into consideration before passing judgment.
It isn't the 1800s anymore. Technology exists. Public figures have to watch their step always as nothing is really private anymore. Keep your private info private. If it becomes public, you gotta deal with the consequences of your private info. The fact that it was intended to be private is irrelevant.

atwater27
04-29-2014, 02:21 PM
I am all for pressuring the guy to sell his team. I am not for forcing him to. The players in the league will get justice by not playing for him. The business will implode, and any owner facing that would sell. If he had a shred of sense he would sell immediately, move somewhere far away and retire with his billions. But it is against everything freedom stands for if his team is taken from him, regardless of his messed up views.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-29-2014, 02:34 PM

Yes, he owns the team, but he does not own Staples Center where his team plays, practices, etc.

Slick
04-29-2014, 02:44 PM
Does he have kids? I wonder if he could transfer ownership over to them.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-29-2014, 02:57 PM
from article

The recordings that have been released were made last September, the source said.

full article: http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10857580/donald-sterling-los-angeles-clippers-owner-receives-life-ban-nba

The following is from an article written April 26th:

Sterling's wife describes alleged mistress as gold digger in lawsuit

Furthermore, Roeser claims the woman on the tape is the defendant in a lawsuit filed by the Sterling family that claims she embezzled more than $1.8 million. Sterling told Roeser that the woman said she would "get even" with Sterling for bringing the lawsuit against her.

full article - http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-sterlings-wife-describes-girlfriend-as-gold-digger-in-lawsuit-20140426,0,4883913.story#axzz3062ETEIm

These comments were made to her in September, 2013. Why did it take UNTIL April, 2014 for these comments to become public, if they REALLY bothered her? And oh by the way, she was sued in March, 2014, and stated that she would get even.

IMO, she definitely got even with Sterling.

OB
04-29-2014, 03:01 PM
All sides of this story stink - plain and simple

Hawgdriver
04-29-2014, 03:12 PM
So you think the AP called up Chris Paul, LeBron James and Magic Johnson to tweet? The outrage wasn't even prompted by media questions.

So you think they shouldn't be outraged?

BroncoNut
04-29-2014, 03:14 PM
seems like our society has turned into a "need to be offended" one. not saying that this fellow, whatever/whoever he is wasn't an idiot. but just a thought.

Hawgdriver
04-29-2014, 03:17 PM
Do you need to be offended, gapper?

OB
04-29-2014, 03:19 PM
Sterling being a racist doesnt have any real effect on anyone - period. He hurt a few peoples feelings - they are words. Nothing more. We need to start teaching our kids "sticks and stones" all over again

BroncoNut
04-29-2014, 03:22 PM
Do you need to be offended, gapper?

I don't believe so, but sometimes probably. I choose not to though for the most part. ie/ reverse discrimination, being judged, being laughed at on a consistent basis, things like that

BroncoWave
04-29-2014, 03:26 PM
Sterling being a racist doesnt have any real effect on anyone - period. He hurt a few peoples feelings - they are words. Nothing more. We need to start teaching our kids "sticks and stones" all over again

This sounds nice in theory, but in the real world the Clippers lost all their sponsors, their players were threatening to leave the team, and it left a huge black streak on the NBA. This isn't about people being offended. It's about the NBA doing what it has to do to protect it's brand.

OB
04-29-2014, 03:33 PM
https://twitter.com/ShutUpAndrosky/status/457626295715635201/photo/1

Slightly off topic but still about Sterling :lol:

tomjonesrocks
04-29-2014, 03:40 PM
This sounds nice in theory, but in the real world the Clippers lost all their sponsors, their players were threatening to leave the team, and it left a huge black streak on the NBA. This isn't about people being offended. It's about the NBA doing what it has to do to protect it's brand.

For the people that feel this way--and I agree--I don't see why this wouldn't apply to the Mozilla situation as well (most were howling over that one here).

Leader says/does something stupid/bigoted that threatens business--actions are taken to rectify the matter.

This seems like something Sterling could tie up in court forever though and argue for a reduced penalty if he chooses to.

OB
04-29-2014, 03:50 PM
Its more acceptable to hate gays than it is to hate someone because of their skin color :coffee:

tomjonesrocks
04-29-2014, 03:54 PM
I guess Sterling is screwed and has no legal options, at least according to this:
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/10852199/challenge-donald-sterling

Northman
04-29-2014, 03:57 PM

Yea, unfortunately when you it affects business relations and the such it can be a little more detrimental than just sticks and stones. While i agree it would be nice if people could just shrug it off that just isnt how it is in reality.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-29-2014, 04:07 PM

The Clippers losing sponsors only hurts the owner, not the NBA, unless each team has to give a certain percentage of their sponsors money to the NBA. Also, every Clipper player signed a legal contract. Not sure how they could legally leave the team. They could all boycott the rest of their games with GS, but GS would then be declared the winner, and would advance. Obviously a lot of pressure was put on the NBA, with Obama commenting on this:

From his comments:

The NBA, Obama added, has "an awful lot of African-American players, it's steeped in African-American culture. And I suspect that the NBA is going to be deeply concerned in resolving this."

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-sharpton-sterling-nba-racist-comments-153901376.html

aberdien
04-29-2014, 04:52 PM
Its more acceptable to hate gays than it is to hate someone because of their skin color :coffee:
Both are unacceptable, actually.

You're right, him being a racist doesn't have any effect on anyone. Definitely not those tenants who he discriminated against. Definitely not the black players on his team who are representing him.

tomjonesrocks
04-29-2014, 05:21 PM
Its more acceptable to hate gays than it is to hate someone because of their skin color :coffee: At this point I agree, unfortunately, with 77 percent of the US still identifying as Christian and the popular belief that the Bible refers to homosexuality as an "Abomination"...

Chick Fil-A's sales soaring after Cathy's bigoted comments provide an interesting contrast to the backlash Sterling is facing...and obviously if his rant was about "fags" instead this story wouldn't have crossed over outside of sports news--and certainly there would be no lifetime ban.

OB
04-29-2014, 05:55 PM
Both are unacceptable, actually.

You're right, him being a racist doesn't have any effect on anyone. Definitely not those tenants who he discriminated against. Definitely not the black players on his team who are representing him.

Agreed - my point was that most people stuck up for the Mozilla CEO while most people are hating on Sterling. Ill get the whole - but it was a donation vs a comment - but in all reality it's the same - they both dislike a certain group of people (people that are who they are through no fault of their own) based on their beliefs and the way they were raised.

And I still feel like all he did was hurt people's feelings and they need to get over it. The tenant situation is not the same as this. A. We know nothing about it other than that he was charged with it. So you can't compare the two. And secondly it's not like he is BFfs with these players n coaches. Billionaires are in their own world. They think everyone is beneath them and not worthy. If he wants to pay me millions to play a game and hate me because I'm black, white, gay, Jew or whatever. I could give two flips. Just make sure my paycheck doesn't bounce.

And a lot of us do work for people like him. My boss (not the owner of the firm but the next guy) truly feels most people in the office are beneath him in every way. And I'm sure he's gone home and made disparaging remarks to his wife about us. Now how would I feel if I heard him say those things about me - I'm not sure but I do know this if I had issue with it, it would be my problem to solve and not his.

chazoe60
04-29-2014, 06:39 PM
We are going down a frightening road. Thought control is alive and well.

These kind of things start with examples that seem obvious, such as Donald Sterling, but they inevitably evolve into dangerous ideas of thought control and loss of freedom.

tomjonesrocks
04-29-2014, 06:54 PM
We are going down a frightening road. Thought control is alive and well. These kind of things start with examples that seem obvious, such as Donald Sterling, but they inevitably evolve into dangerous ideas of thought control and loss of freedom.

Not really. This has more to do with capitalism than anything else.

BroncoWave
04-29-2014, 07:04 PM
The Clippers losing sponsors only hurts the owner, not the NBA, unless each team has to give a certain percentage of their sponsors money to the NBA. Also, every Clipper player signed a legal contract. Not sure how they could legally leave the team. They could all boycott the rest of their games with GS, but GS would then be declared the winner, and would advance. Obviously a lot of pressure was put on the NBA, with Obama commenting on this:

From his comments:

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-sharpton-sterling-nba-racist-comments-153901376.html

There were reports that if the NBA had not booted Sterling, the NBAPA would have demanded that all Clippers players immediately be granted free agency after the season. Whether or not they would have gotten it is one thing, but that's a pretty serious threat.

BroncoWave
04-29-2014, 07:05 PM

These kind of things start with examples that seem obvious, such as Donald Sterling, but they inevitably evolve into dangerous ideas of thought control and loss of freedom.

Wut? You realize this was a decision made by a private business right? Not the government.

OB
04-29-2014, 07:44 PM
Wut? You realize this was a decision made by a private business right? Not the government.

A private business. Ya. But a "private" business that has billions of dollars worth of influence. And I find it ironic you call it a private business but when I point out it was a personal, private conversation in his home it gets no consideration (not from u Wave. Just comments in general).

This case is the epitome of hypocrisy in America.

OB
04-29-2014, 07:47 PM
And I totally get what Chaz is saying. Where do we draw the line? Most won't agree but really - we are becoming a society where even what we do in the privacy of our own homes can be made public and we will get punished for it. It's a slippery slope and we are heading down it.

OrangeHoof
04-29-2014, 08:15 PM
This isn't about people being offended. It's about the NBA doing what it has to do to protect it's brand.

Exactly. Must be nice to have people so offended by something that are willing to throw people out of their livelihoods. I keep wanting to see that happen in Washington DC but instead they just become more entrenched.

Dapper Dan
04-29-2014, 08:35 PM
Exactly. Must be nice to have people so offended by something that are willing to throw people out of their livelihoods. I keep wanting to see that happen in Washington DC but instead they just become more entrenched.

"What do you want to do to the people freeloading off of the taxpayers?"

"Vote them out of Congress."

Dapper Dan
04-29-2014, 08:36 PM

:tsk:

Denver Native (Carol)
04-29-2014, 09:24 PM
Question to all - if things were reversed, and a black owner did the same thing, and his target was whites, do you think the punishment would have been the same? Do you think there would have even been any punishment? Just curious to see what people think.

MOtorboat
04-29-2014, 09:26 PM
Question to all - if things were reversed, and a black owner did the same thing, and his target was whites, do you think the punishment would have been the same? Do you think there would have even been any punishment? Just curious to see what people think.

To my knowledge there are no black owners, which given the demographics of the league is part of the problem.

chazoe60
04-29-2014, 09:28 PM
It wouldn't have even been discussed. We see it all the time. "Stay black" is an accepted and even openly celebrated ideal amongst many in the black community.

chazoe60
04-29-2014, 09:29 PM
To my knowledge there are no black owners, which given the demographics of the league is part of the problem.

I thought the owner of the Bobcats was a black man?

MOtorboat
04-29-2014, 09:32 PM
I thought the owner of the Bobcats was a black man?

Jordan is part of the ownership group.

MOtorboat
04-29-2014, 09:33 PM
He is apparently the principal owner, so yes. A black man does own a team. My bad.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-29-2014, 09:37 PM
There were reports that if the NBA had not booted Sterling, the NBAPA would have demanded that all Clippers players immediately be granted free agency after the season. Whether or not they would have gotten it is one thing, but that's a pretty serious threat.

I haven't found any thing in regards to all Clippers players immediately being granted free agency after the season. In this article, it appears they feel all owners will vote Sterling out. The teams playing tonight all agreed to boycott the games, if Silver did not come thru with something today.

LOS ANGELES -- NBA players were prepared to boycott Tuesday night's playoff games if NBA commissioner Adam Silver did not ban Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling and force him to sell his team, National Basketball Players Association first vice president Roger Mason Jr. said.

"I heard from our players and all of our players felt like boycotting the games tonight," Mason said. "We're talking about all NBA players. We're talking about the playoff games tonight."

Mason said he spoke to player representatives from every team and they were on board with the decision to boycott Tuesday's games if they weren't satisfied with the commissioner's decision. The decision would have affected Tuesday's Game 5s between the Clippers and Golden State Warriors, the Chicago Bulls and Washington Wizards, and the Memphis Grizzlies and Oklahoma City Thunder.

rest - http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10858191/nbpa-vice-president-roger-mason-jr-says-players-were-ready-boycott-donald-sterling-banned

OB
04-29-2014, 09:40 PM
Exactly. New age owners. These old white pompous ****s will soon be history - so why the outrage? It's silly. We are outraged over the fact that an 80 year old white billionaire banging a hot young gold digger, is a racist??? Why is this a surprise and/or shock to America?

chazoe60
04-29-2014, 09:40 PM
He is apparently the principal owner, so yes. A black man does own a team. My bad.

I thought it was a different guy. Maybe he sold them. I'm pretty sure the original owner was a black guy named Bob and that's how they got the name Bobcats.

I agree that more minority owners would be a good thing but how do they make that happen?

BroncoWave
04-29-2014, 09:43 PM
Well it seems like Magic wants to buy the Clippers, so that would be another minority owner.

OB
04-29-2014, 09:44 PM
And no. I don't think it should be acceptable behavior but I just don't think it should be such an outrageous shock that constitutes a person to be banned from an investment that have made over a period of 30 years when that behavior has been known since day one.

Dapper Dan
04-29-2014, 09:45 PM
At what point is a white person considered a minority? Like, can we call JJ Redick a minority?

OB
04-29-2014, 09:47 PM
At what point is a white person considered a minority? Like, can we call JJ Redick a minority?

Those in charge are never the minority

chazoe60
04-29-2014, 09:48 PM
Those in charge are never the minority

Uhhhh, Obama says "hi"

Hawgdriver
04-29-2014, 09:50 PM

It's happening folks. Take shelter.

pwSw4AwSaMw

Guard your daughters.

1xIQmFk1ok0

Guard your golddiggin hoes. And your mouth dumbass.

OB
04-29-2014, 09:52 PM
Uhhhh, Obama says "hi"

Aww dude Obama isn't a minority. He's a politician. Politicians have no boundaries including party affiliation. You can be black, white, red, Jew, spaghetti guy - just as long as you can be bought.

Dapper Dan
04-29-2014, 09:58 PM
It's happening folks. Take shelter.

pwSw4AwSaMw

Guard your daughters.

1xIQmFk1ok0

Guard your golddiggin hoes. And your mouth dumbass.

Them homies go hard.

aberdien
04-29-2014, 10:08 PM

What evidence do we have that "they inevitably evolve into dangerous ideas of thought control and loss of freedom"?

I think it would have been about the same amount of punishment, if we're saying that we're going to plug Michael Jordan in the place of Sterling, have him date a half white chick, and replace the words in his statement from black to white.

Hawgdriver
04-29-2014, 10:12 PM
Ok, opinion time for me:

1. Dude got worked by this chick. That's the bottom line...the player got played.

2. The anti-racism groupthink mob isn't entirely a healthy thing. Everyone has some unacceptable thoughts.

3. Why is no one focusing on the real trespass to morality--why do we accept that it's OK for slumlord billionaires to have mistresses? I'm outraged this is being swept under the rug. I want my pet issue to get the most airtime.

chazoe60
04-29-2014, 10:14 PM
Ok, opinion time for me:

1. Dude got worked by this chick. That's the bottom line...the player got played.

2. The anti-racism groupthink mob isn't entirely a healthy thing. Everyone has some unacceptable thoughts.

3. Why is no one focusing on the real trespass to morality--why do we accept that it's OK for slumlord billionaires to have mistresses? I'm outraged this is being swept under the rug. I want my pet issue to get the most airtime.

Pretty much aligned with my thoughts.

Dapper Dan
Maybe he just doesn't want his GF with a man who has AIDS?

aberdien
They interviewed his wife during the last game and I was like "WTF I thought he was banging this half black chick, is the wife okay with this?"

OB
04-29-2014, 10:19 PM
Dude the wife is suing the half black chick for being a gold digger. This whole thing and add the fact that magic wants to buy the clippers along with the tape was made last September but is just being released now. Everything about this whole thing is a total cluster.

Hawgdriver
04-29-2014, 10:20 PM
They interviewed his wife during the last game and I was like "WTF I thought he was banging this half black chick, is the wife okay with this?"

ikr?

Dapper Dan
04-29-2014, 11:01 PM
So Larry Johnson apparently wants an all-black league?

chazoe60
04-29-2014, 11:26 PM
So Larry Johnson apparently wants an all-black league?

They already have it, it's called the NBA.

Dapper Dan
04-29-2014, 11:32 PM
They already have it, it's called the NBA.

Close. He wants all black owners too, I think.

MOtorboat
04-30-2014, 12:00 AM
I see the Clippers wasted no time making some money off of it...

"We are one" T-shirts for everybody!

Northman
04-30-2014, 05:23 AM
Jabbar totally nailed it.

http://toprightnews.com/?p=2777

“Yes, I’m angry, too,” Abdul-Jabbar admits, “but not just about the sins of Donald Sterling. I’ve got a list.”
That list includes Sterling’s girlfriend, V. Stiviano, whose voice is heard on the racially-loaded tape and who likely set the Clippers’ owner up.
“Man, what a winding road she led him down to get all of that out,” he mocked. “She was like a sexy nanny playing ‘pin the fried chicken on the Sambo.’ She blindfolded him and spun him around until he was just blathering all sorts of incoherent racist sound bites that had the news media peeing themselves with glee.”

The former NBA all-star, who played for the Milwaukee Bucks and L.A. Lakers from 1969 to 1989, has no sympathy for Sterling. But he is upset that everyone is acting so surprised, noting that the NBA owner has said offensive comments in the past and has been sued over both housing and employment discrimination.
The NAACP “did nothing” after Sterling was forced to pay a staggering $3 million fine for denying housing to Blacks, saying they “smell, and attract vermin,” Abdul-Jabbar noted. They were even going to present Sterling with an NAACP award on May 15th, with the Rev. Al Sharpton on hand. “Suddenly he says he doesn’t want his girlfriend posing with Magic Johnson on Instagram and we bring out the torches and rope. Shouldn’t we have all called for his resignation back then?”

“So, if we’re all going to be outraged,” the former NBA star wrapped up, “let’s be outraged that we weren’t more outraged when his racism was first evident. Let’s be outraged that private conversations between people in an intimate relationship are recorded and publicly played. Let’s be outraged that whoever did the betraying will probably get a book deal, a sitcom, trade recipes with Hoda and Kathie Lee, and soon appear on ‘Celebrity Apprentice’ and ‘Dancing with the Stars.’”

OB
04-30-2014, 07:02 AM
Exactly!!!!!

atwater27
04-30-2014, 08:18 AM
Jabbar totally nailed it.

http://toprightnews.com/?p=2777

That man has some serious wisdom.

Dzone
04-30-2014, 08:28 AM
Yes, V Stiviano took down donald sterling by being a sneaky conniving and vindictive black widow. Now she will get a big money deal with playboy, she will be hailed as a hero, on every talk show, magazine covers, she will be a celebrity on dancing with the stars and have her own reality show. She will hangout with the Kardasians and paris hilton. She is set to cash in on this fiasco.
I still am not sure why she taped sterling over 100 hours. That part of this story hasnt been talked about much. What were her motives?

OB
04-30-2014, 08:38 AM
Yes, V Stiviano took down donald sterling by being a sneaky conniving and vindictive black widow. Now she will get a big money deal with playboy, she will be hailed as a hero, on every talk show, magazine covers, she will be a celebrity on dancing with the stars and have her own reality show. She will hangout with the Kardasians and paris hilton. She is set to cash in on this fiasco.
I still am not sure why she taped sterling over 100 hours. That part of this story hasnt been talked about much. What were her motives?

Her motives were to take him down - and thats what she did.

I could tell the tape was spliced but I didnt know it was 100 hours worth condensed into 9 minutes. Thats ridiculous

Dzone
04-30-2014, 08:44 AM
Her motives were to take him down - and thats what she did.

I could tell the tape was spliced but I didnt know it was 100 hours worth condensed into 9 minutes. Thats ridiculous
What did sterling do to make her want to do this? Was she just pissed that he was a racist?
Yes, I heard she got over 100 hours of tape. They said that if sterling takes this to court, all 100 hours will be admitted into court, and he may not want that getting out there. I would guess that someone out there will get the full 100 hours and it will be pretty hilarious to hear. I cant believe what a hideous and shreeky voice Sterling has. How could V stiviaon even stand to have to listen to that cartoonish sounding voice?

OB
04-30-2014, 08:58 AM
His family is suing her for embezzling 1.5mm of his (their) money

BroncoNut
04-30-2014, 09:17 AM
Aww dude Obama isn't a minority. He's a politician. Politicians have no boundaries including party affiliation. You can be black, white, red, Jew, spaghetti guy - just as long as you can be bought.

makes me question, have we ever had an Italian president, or a president of Italian descent? I am thinking not.

OB
04-30-2014, 09:29 AM
Good question nut

tomjonesrocks
04-30-2014, 10:27 AM
Question to all - if things were reversed, and a black owner did the same thing, and his target was whites, do you think the punishment would have been the same?

Yep. There might not have been "We are One" T-Shirts, but I believe the punishment would be the same. NBA money would still be getting ****-ed with with sponsors pulling out, and the new commissioner would still need to come down hard.

It's easy to say that Sterling's POS history gave the NBA an excuse to get rid of a long-time embarrassment (which is a nice convenience) -- but I don't see any way Silver could have come down soft in any similar situation.

aberdien
04-30-2014, 10:27 AM
That man has some serious wisdom.

Did you know that he's a muslim?

weazel
04-30-2014, 10:41 AM
his lawyers are going to have a field day and in the end, he won't own the Clippers but he will be about a billion dollars richer

tomjonesrocks
04-30-2014, 10:47 AM
Jabbar totally nailed it. http://toprightnews.com/?p=2777

Didn't know he was such a wordsmith. Great quotes in there.

MOtorboat
04-30-2014, 10:50 AM
his lawyers are going to have a field day and in the end, he won't own the Clippers but he will be about a billion dollars richer

I think you're referencing it, but he'll sell the team for that. Ultimately, he profits. I have a feeling his wife wins the lawsuit against the girlfriend, too.

OB
04-30-2014, 11:01 AM
Yep. There might not have been "We are One" T-Shirts, but I believe the punishment would be the same. NBA money would still be getting ****-ed with with sponsors pulling out, and the new commissioner would still need to come down hard.

It's easy to say that Sterling's POS history gave the NBA an excuse to get rid of a long-time embarrassment (which is a nice convenience) -- but I don't see any way Silver could have come down soft in any similar situation.

I do not believe that at all - the punishment would NOT have been the same if Sterling were black and the comments he made were about whites and if an owner said that about gays, regardless of his and their color, he never would have received that same punishment

Slick
04-30-2014, 11:27 AM
Kareem has a house about 20 minutes south of the dive shop. I see him around from time to time. One day I saw him at the cell phone store. He was paying his bill. I watched him leave the store and get into a taxi. Like a 1990 Nissan Sentra. It was hilarious watching him back himself into the back seat in that little car.

atwater27
04-30-2014, 12:06 PM
Did you know that he's a muslim?

Why wouldn't I? You want to try to bait me, take it to P&R

Northman
04-30-2014, 12:21 PM
Didn't know he was such a wordsmith. Great quotes in there.

Indeed. And while he was a joy to watch growing up as a player he will always have my respect for being someone who was a close friend to Bruce Lee and was able to learn some martial arts through him. Thats pretty impressive for me as a fan of both.

Northman
04-30-2014, 12:24 PM
I do not believe that at all - the punishment would NOT have been the same if Sterling were black and the comments he made were about whites and if an owner said that about gays, regardless of his and their color, he never would have received that same punishment

I really dont think so either.

We are still a society where anything that is done or said racially about minorities trumps any kind of racism towards whites. There still is that double standard in our society and i could see the NBA far more scaled back on a black owner than what is happening with Sterling.

slim
04-30-2014, 02:27 PM

No. There would have been some strong talk and a lot of shrugged shoulders.

This is a silly argument. The demographics of the league have nothing to do with it.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-30-2014, 02:34 PM
His family is suing her for embezzling 1.5mm of his (their) money

Exactly, as I posted earlier, the conversation was taped in September, 2013 - She said NOTHING until Sterling and family filed a lawsuit against her in March, 2014 wanting to recoup 1.8 million which the OLD fool had spent on her. After the lawsuit was filed, it was stated that she said she would get even. And amazingly, somehow, after the lawsuit was filed, the tape ended up in TMZ's hands.

Also, if the owners vote for Sterling to sell the team - there are many already waiting to buy it:

We already know that Magic and his partners have thrown their hat into the ring - now the rest known at this time:

Floyd Mayweather Jr. wants Clippers

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10859477/floyd-mayweather-jr-expresses-interest-buying-los-angeles-clippers

from same article:

Another boxing superstar, Oscar De La Hoya, also said Tuesday that he'd be interested in owning a piece of the team.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10859477/floyd-mayweather-jr-expresses-interest-buying-los-angeles-clippers

Oprah considering Clippers bid

Oprah Winfrey, David Geffen and Larry Ellison will join together in a bid to buy the Los Angeles Clippers if the NBA's board of governors votes to force Donald Sterling to sell the team, Geffen told ESPN's Jeremy Schaap on Wednesday.

Geffen said he and Ellison would run the team, while Winfrey would be an investor.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10861503/oprah-winfrey-group-considering-bid-buy-los-angeles-clippers

Rapper Rick Ross and music mogul Shawn "P. Diddy" Combs also expressed interest in buying the team

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/clippers-potential-buyers-include-boxer-musician-media-mogul/

weazel
04-30-2014, 03:16 PM
The rest of the NBA owners should be very scared at this moment... the league just made them aware that they can basically force them out for any reason they feel fit. It's absurd, really.

BroncoWave
04-30-2014, 03:20 PM
The rest of the NBA owners should be very scared at this moment... the league just made them aware that they can basically force them out for any reason they feel fit. It's absurd, really.

You realize it takes a 75% vote from the fellow owners to get rid of an owner right? It's not like the NBA can just boot an owner at their whim. If the owners were scared of the precedent this sets, they wouldn't be voting 29-0 to kick Sterling out.

ShaneFalco
04-30-2014, 04:02 PM
So this is how free spech dies.....

tomjonesrocks
04-30-2014, 04:04 PM
So this is how free spech dies.....

Please...

Ravage!!!
04-30-2014, 04:08 PM
You realize it takes a 75% vote from the fellow owners to get rid of an owner right? It's not like the NBA can just boot an owner at their whim. If the owners were scared of the precedent this sets, they wouldn't be voting 29-0 to kick Sterling out.

There hasn't been a vote, and that is pure speculation. Also, if it's a "private" vote, then we may never know the REAL count. I think it needs to be done in a manner that is not only private from the outside, but private INSIDE their room (like dropping a ball into a pan that no one can see which ball you dropped).. so that no LEAKS can come out as to whom voted for what.

But weazel is absolutely right. THe owners WILL be wary (as advized by their lawyers) that if they take this to court, then THEIR conversations that they may have had at some social event, some party, some private gathering...can alllllll be brought into the courtroom and used as evidence against them. Setting the precedence that private conversations can be used to kick you out, is a VERY slim road.

Then there is the bi-laws that suggest that they even have the RIGHTS to do it. As the bi-laws (as explained by the lawyers on the radio) are written to kick someone out due to their actions..... NOT their thoughts. There is nothing written that an owner can be kicked out PURELY because of his thoughts and ideas. So the NBA will have a hard time proving that they even have a right to force him to sell.

THEN, there is the anti-trust lawsuit that CAN be filed by the Clipper's owner. Conidering that the NBA owners my be violating their own agreement by voting him out. The anti-trust can show a "collusion" amongst the owners to interfere with HIS business (which in a sense is the same as the rest of theirs). Anti-trust is different in the sense that not only can the Clippers' owner win what he 'lost'..but that amount can be TRIPLED.

So yeah, I would say that the owners have a LOT more to think about than what was originally thought, and this "guess" that its going to be 29-0 could purely be stated with the AGENDA to influence the public opinion, and thus thte owners, to vote that direction.

MOtorboat
04-30-2014, 04:12 PM
No. There would have been some strong talk and a lot of shrugged shoulders.

This is a silly argument. The demographics of the league have nothing to do with it.

They have everything to do with it. The owners are made up of 95 percent white guys and the players are made up of roughly 85 percent black guys. I don't know how that doesn't factor in.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-30-2014, 04:26 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24544358/nba-owners-speak-out-against-alleged-sterling-comments

AND

Nuggets president Josh Kroenke’s statement on Donald Sterling ruling

Nuggets president Josh Kroenke released this statement after the NBA commissioner, Adam Silver, announced his ruling against Clippers owner Donald Sterling on Tuesday.

“Kroenke Sports & Entertainment and the Denver Nuggets wholeheartedly and emphatically support Commissioner Adam Silver’s decision that Donald Sterling be fined and banned for life from any involvement with the National Basketball Association. Mr. Sterling’s words have absolutely no place in our working family or in a global sport that values inclusion, diversity and tolerance of people regardless of race, gender, religion or sexual orientation.”

http://blogs.denverpost.com/nuggets/2014/04/29/nuggets-president-josh-kroenkes-statement-donald-sterling-ruling/10516/

Denver Native (Carol)
04-30-2014, 04:27 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24544358/nba-owners-speak-out-against-alleged-sterling-comments

AND

Nuggets president Josh Kroenke’s statement on Donald Sterling ruling

http://blogs.denverpost.com/nuggets/2014/04/29/nuggets-president-josh-kroenkes-statement-donald-sterling-ruling/10516/

Owners have went public in support of Silver. No one made them do that, as Silver works for the owners. I don't think they will have a problem voting Sterling out.

BroncoWave
04-30-2014, 04:50 PM
There hasn't been a vote, and that is pure speculation. Also, if it's a "private" vote, then we may never know the REAL count. I think it needs to be done in a manner that is not only private from the outside, but private INSIDE their room (like dropping a ball into a pan that no one can see which ball you dropped).. so that no LEAKS can come out as to whom voted for what.

But weazel is absolutely right. THe owners WILL be wary (as advized by their lawyers) that if they take this to court, then THEIR conversations that they may have had at some social event, some party, some private gathering...can alllllll be brought into the courtroom and used as evidence against them. Setting the precedence that private conversations can be used to kick you out, is a VERY slim road.

Then there is the bi-laws that suggest that they even have the RIGHTS to do it. As the bi-laws (as explained by the lawyers on the radio) are written to kick someone out due to their actions..... NOT their thoughts. There is nothing written that an owner can be kicked out PURELY because of his thoughts and ideas. So the NBA will have a hard time proving that they even have a right to force him to sell.

THEN, there is the anti-trust lawsuit that CAN be filed by the Clipper's owner. Conidering that the NBA owners my be violating their own agreement by voting him out. The anti-trust can show a "collusion" amongst the owners to interfere with HIS business (which in a sense is the same as the rest of theirs). Anti-trust is different in the sense that not only can the Clippers' owner win what he 'lost'..but that amount can be TRIPLED.

So yeah, I would say that the owners have a LOT more to think about than what was originally thought, and this "guess" that its going to be 29-0 could purely be stated with the AGENDA to influence the public opinion, and thus thte owners, to vote that direction.

Every single owner that has given a public statement is in favor of Silver's decision. Do you really think with this precedent set that Silver is going to start banning owners willy-nilly. What does he have to gain from that? I think you are being paranoid if you think this is starting some sort of slippery slope. Silver pretty much had no other option here. According to JA Adande (who has about as much NBA insider info as there is) there wouldn't have been any games last night had Silver not done what he did, because the players were all going to boycott. This was one very extreme case of an owner making some really ugly racist remarks. I don't see this as the beginning of some trend.

weazel
04-30-2014, 05:00 PM
Every single owner that has given a public statement is in favor of Silver's decision. Do you really think with this precedent set that Silver is going to start banning owners willy-nilly. What does he have to gain from that? I think you are being paranoid if you think this is starting some sort of slippery slope. Silver pretty much had no other option here. According to JA Adande (who has about as much NBA insider info as there is) there wouldn't have been any games last night had Silver not done what he did, because the players were all going to boycott. This was one very extreme case of an owner making some really ugly racist remarks. I don't see this as the beginning of some trend.

of course every owner that has said something said they agree with it LMAO... otherwise they would be seen as a racist

BroncoWave
04-30-2014, 05:03 PM
of course every owner that has said something said they agree with it LMAO... otherwise they would be seen as a racist

They have the option of not saying anything if they have a huge problem with this. Assuming he gets voted out, it will send a pretty loud and clear message that the owners have no problem with this. I don't think their votes are made public, so it's not like being seen as a racist will deter any owner from voting against this.

Ravage!!!
04-30-2014, 05:11 PM
Owners have went public in support of Silver. No one made them do that, as Silver works for the owners. I don't think they will have a problem voting Sterling out.

You say that, but by LAW they might ahve a very serious problem voting them out.

Also, of COURSE they are saying in 'public' that they are in support. OTherwise they look like they support the wrong stance. But privately, who knows.

Lets be honest. I absolutely do NOT support Sterling's view points, but I ABSOLUTELY support the RIGHT to have whatever viewpoints they wish, and having such views should not be precedent for having your property sold.

What if we had the same perspective and objectives for everyone that said they were athiest? Should we sell their businesses? Now don't get me wrong. Silver had to PAY for his injustice in his housing prejudice, and RIGHTFULLY so. I may absolutely HATE what Sterling said, and believe him to be a complete and total douche, but that doesn't mean eveyrone that has a different perspective and is a douche should be legally bound to sell their business.

It's not as easy as you WANT it to be, and public statements are easy to make when they are supporting the "moral' sides of public opinion.

Ravage!!!
04-30-2014, 05:12 PM
They have the option of not saying anything if they have a huge problem with this. Assuming he gets voted out, it will send a pretty loud and clear message that the owners have no problem with this. I don't think their votes are made public, so it's not like being seen as a racist will deter any owner from voting against this.

We don't know if their votes will be or not. That hasn't been determined. The funny thing is, that if they aren't made public, then the "report" will be a 29-0 vote to the public. WHy? Because that would eliminate anyone investigating as to WHO did NOT vote to have him removed? Then there will be the probes and investigating reporters.

if it IS made public, than no owner will DARE vote no as they don't want to look like the prejudice douche.

So guess what, we will HEAR 29-0 ...No-matter-what.

Ravage!!!
04-30-2014, 05:19 PM

I'm being paranoid? No, not at all. Do you know what precedent is??? Because you don't sound like you do. It has NOTHING to do with becoming a "trend." That's completely different.

The idea that an owner can LOSE their franchise due to individual thoughts given in a PRIVATE conversation doesn't sound like a slippery slope to you? Seriously? Mark Cuban doesn't agree with you. A lot of these owners have probably had some pretty "unsettling" conversations when amongst their peers and trusted group. You think they want those conversations to be investigated and probed? Do you think they want the chance that ANY conversation they have can be used against them in a lawsuit to force selling of their franchise?? Every owner is going to look at this as to "how is it going to affect ME in the future"..and they will get advice from their lawyers that they CAN be investigated for their OWN statements that they might have had. Things will ALL onto public record.

As far as the "boycott", it would have been STUPID if there wasn't games last night. DO the players REALLY think that an owner is going to be kicked out after 24 hours of news being reported? Hell, players have been coming out all day saying that they play for their teammates, and their coaches..... NOT the owner. To say they wouldn't have played in a playoff game for a "statement" would have been a pretty BAD way of making a statement. They players are NOT going to boycott.

ShaneFalco
04-30-2014, 05:25 PM
Please...

your kidding yourself if you think this has nothing to do with free speech. Taking away someones business because of what they say....

I'm being paranoid? No, not at all. Do you know what precedent is??? Because you don't sound like you do. It has NOTHING to do with becoming a "trend." That's completely different.

Your just a conspiracy theorist like me Rav.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTWtRHZhFp4

They have the option of not saying anything if they have a huge problem with this.

With 20 cameras stuffed in their face? And the Race Pimps like Sharpton on the prowl?

I think not. Unless they plan on getting put on a cross and crucified.

Ravage!!!
04-30-2014, 05:45 PM
He said it right there, "If he took action, then I'm absolutely saying action needs to be taken. But the moment we start reacting to how someone THINKS in the privacy of their own home, then that is sliding down a slippery slope."

He's a smart man that understands the bi-laws and constitutions of the owner agreement. "Trying to police "morality" can cause you some serious problems."

He also made a great point...

"how many homophobes are in this league? I don't know, but where do you draw the line? Is it ok to take action against a person that is prejudice against blacks but not against those prejudice against gays? What about anti-semitism?..."

All great points that will prove to be a VERY serious problem for the owners if this goes to court. Nothing is said that 'thoughts' can be used for reason to have your franchise taken away.

The point about making someone sell their house because you don't agree with their views or because you don't like them. Mark makes a lot of really good points in this media ambush.

BroncoWave
04-30-2014, 06:06 PM
As far as the "boycott", it would have been STUPID if there wasn't games last night. DO the players REALLY think that an owner is going to be kicked out after 24 hours of news being reported? Hell, players have been coming out all day saying that they play for their teammates, and their coaches..... NOT the owner. To say they wouldn't have played in a playoff game for a "statement" would have been a pretty BAD way of making a statement. They players are NOT going to boycott.

Are you saying JA Adande had bad info?

BroncoWave
04-30-2014, 06:12 PM

The idea that an owner can LOSE their franchise due to individual thoughts given in a PRIVATE conversation doesn't sound like a slippery slope to you? Seriously? Mark Cuban doesn't agree with you. A lot of these owners have probably had some pretty "unsettling" conversations when amongst their peers and trusted group. You think they want those conversations to be investigated and probed? Do you think they want the chance that ANY conversation they have can be used against them in a lawsuit to force selling of their franchise?? Every owner is going to look at this as to "how is it going to affect ME in the future"..and they will get advice from their lawyers that they CAN be investigated for their OWN statements that they might have had. Things will ALL onto public record.

When you are a public figure, especially a billionaire sports owner, you have to expect that everything you say/do is potentially being recorded. If you don't want your private racist thoughts being made public, then don't say them out loud. There is no place in the NBA (a league that is 85% black) for someone with those views.

You act like he is being punished for having a certain opinion. That's not the case. He's being punished for making hateful remarks that stained the league's reputation and caused sponsors to run like wildfire and players to potentially boycott.

atwater27
04-30-2014, 06:15 PM
Something tells me that if a typical NBA basketball player was told that if a recorded conversation of them ever saying the word cracker or demeaning a white person ever came out, they would be fined and booted from the league forever, they might change their tune on what should happen to NBA owners. Just sayin. And I wish the guy would just sell the team and go away, but I think he will fight this til his grave with lots of money, lots of lawyers, and he just might win.

tomjonesrocks
04-30-2014, 06:18 PM
I think he will fight this til his grave with lots of money, lots of lawyers, and he just might win.

FWIW I posted an ESPN article giving legal analysis he has zero options whatsoever on that front. Said he'd lose quickly and embarrassingly.

atwater27
04-30-2014, 06:20 PM
FWIW I posted an ESPN article giving legal analysis he has zero options whatsoever on that front. Said he'd lose quickly and embarrassingly.

I read that article. We will see it play out. The constitution just might trump the NBA constitution. This could get real ugly.

Poet
04-30-2014, 07:29 PM
I read that article. We will see it play out. The constitution just might trump the NBA constitution. This could get real ugly.

He might try to fight it all he wants, but his rights have not been violated.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-30-2014, 07:46 PM
Sacramento Kings owner Vivek Ranadive anticipates that his fellow NBA owners will vote unanimously to force Donald Sterling to sell the Los Angeles Clippers.

rest - http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10861110/vivek-ranadive-sacramento-kings-owner-expects-unanimous-vote-force-donald-sterling-sell-los-angeles-clippers

tomjonesrocks
04-30-2014, 07:49 PM
What Sterling would win in court would be of minimal value anyway.

Keep his team? Why? He's now someone everyone can and will unanimously vilify. He's permanently disgraced. That wouldn't change no matter what he won in court.

The only thing I don't like about it is some worthless whore successfully did him in. Though having done some business with the LA Times (whom he advertises heavily with), I can say first-hand stories of him being a world-class racist douche go back a long way.

Karma caught up with him.

slim
04-30-2014, 07:49 PM
Something tells me that if a typical NBA basketball player was told that if a recorded conversation of them ever saying the word cracker or demeaning a white person ever came out, they would be fined and booted from the league forever, they might change their tune on what should happen to NBA owners. Just sayin. And I wish the guy would just sell the team and go away, but I think he will fight this til his grave with lots of money, lots of lawyers, and he just might win.

lol.

so true

tomjonesrocks
04-30-2014, 07:58 PM
lol. so true

I just don't see it that way.

Sterling has been a documented racist...for forever. What's different now is he ****-ed with NBA money. Yes, there were rumors players were going to walk off the floor, and no, the NBA players themselves wouldn't have protested nearly to that degree if the situation were reversed.

But in the reverse case, you'd have the usual suspects beating the "reverse racism" drum on radio and talk shows, and there would ultimately be boycotts and sponsors leaving. Most companies are run by white Republican CEOs. They're going to keep advertising if a black owner was berating whites for 100 hours? I don't see it.

Plus the new commish really could not in his first notable action come soft.

Maybe it's Pollyannaish, though I don't think it would be as swift, I don't think any owner, black or white would have survived it.

slim
04-30-2014, 08:05 PM
I just don't see it that way.

Sterling has been a documented racist...for forever. What's different now is he ****-ed with NBA money. Yes, there were rumors players were going to walk off the floor, and no, the NBA players themselves wouldn't have protested nearly to that degree if the situation were reversed.

But in the reverse case, you'd have the usual suspects beating the "reverse racism" drum on radio and talk shows, and there would ultimately be boycotts and sponsors leaving. Most companies are run by white Republican CEOs. They're going to keep advertising if a black owner was berating whites for 100 hours? I don't see it.

Plus the new commish really could not in his first notable action come soft.

Maybe it's Pollyannaish, though I don't think it would be as swift, I don't think any owner, black or white would have survived it.

It appears we both took something different from atwater's post. I don’t think he was talking about the flip side of this situation, but about the hypocrisy of all these players who are so outraged….many of whom undoubtedly make racist comments all the time (comments that are clearly more widely accepted in our society).

MOtorboat
04-30-2014, 08:06 PM
I guess I don't understand where, or how, this is a Constitutional issue. What grounds does he have to win a lawsuit with?

tomjonesrocks
04-30-2014, 08:07 PM
It appears we both took something different from atwater's post. I don’t think he was talking about the flip side of this situation, but about the hypocrisy of all these players who are so outraged….many of whom undoubtedly make racist comments all the time (comments that are clearly more widely accepted in our society).

Ah. I suppose that's true. I thought he was following up on Carol's point.

MOtorboat
04-30-2014, 08:07 PM

And you have documented proof of this correct?

tomjonesrocks
04-30-2014, 08:09 PM
I guess I don't understand where, or how, this is a Constitutional issue. What grounds does he have to win a lawsuit with?

That made me laugh out loud.

slim
04-30-2014, 08:12 PM
And you have documented proof of this correct?

No, it's just on observation based on personal experience. I have heard enough conversations to know what gets said when the boys are just hanging out. That kind of talk is pretty common (and pretty harmless IMO). I just find the double standard interesting.

BroncoWave
04-30-2014, 08:14 PM
No, it's just on observation based on personal experience. I have heard enough conversations to know what gets said when the boys are just hanging out. That kind of talk is pretty common (and pretty harmless IMO). I just find the double standard interesting.

I don't necessarily see the problem in an owner being held to a higher standard than a player

Denver Native (Carol)
04-30-2014, 08:19 PM
Drama surrounding Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling and his family often involves a volatile combination of pretty women, allegations of racism and lots of money.

The embattled basketball owner was fined $2.5 million and banned for life from the NBA on Tuesday for allegedly spewing a racial rant to a woman named V. Stiviano about African-Americans.

Stiviano, 31, who has denied she leaked the recordings of Sterling’s reported comments, is currently tangled in a legal battle with Sterling’s estranged wife, Rochelle Sterling. Stiviano has also denied her relationship with Sterling was romantic.

rest - http://abcnews.go.com/US/donald-sterlings-2002-battle-mistress-similarities-today/story?id=23521332

tomjonesrocks
04-30-2014, 08:24 PM
"Denied her relationship to Sterling was romantic"

Didn't she call him "honey" or something in the recording? Guess I need to hear it again.

MOtorboat
04-30-2014, 08:26 PM
"Denied her relationship to Sterling was romantic"

Didn't she call him "honey" or something in the recording? Guess I need to hear it again.

She's a golddigging bimbo and he's a racist piece of shit.

Sounds like they deserve each other.

atwater27
04-30-2014, 08:33 PM

Whether we want to or not, we will find out. Looks like the crusty old ******* is going out the hard way

Dapper Dan
04-30-2014, 10:33 PM
Now it seems like every rich, black person in America wants to Clippers.

Dzone
04-30-2014, 10:47 PM
Affirmative action in action. It would be an affront to let another white man buy it. There would be some outrage, thats for sure

What will they be changing the name to?

New Owner Must Replace 'Clippers' As Team Name To Avoid Sterling Taint
http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/daily-take/201404/donald-sterling-los-angeles-clippers-new-owner-name-change-nba

Buff
04-30-2014, 11:06 PM

shannon sharpe ‏@ShannonSharpe 12m

Since every person has thrown their name in the ring to purchase the Clippers. I too would like to purchase the tm. Payment plan please.

OB
04-30-2014, 11:18 PM

I don't think Sterling could sue anyone for a constitutional violation of his rights (well technically he could but he'd lose) but I think there may be a contractural issue. None of us know what exact deal the owner has with the NBA. his lawsuit could be based on the issue that they have no right to vote him out/make him sell.

MOtorboat
04-30-2014, 11:20 PM
I don't think Sterling could sue anyone for a constitutional violation of his rights (well technically he could but he'd lose) but I think there may be a contractural issue. None of us know what exact deal the owner has with the NBA. his lawsuit could be based on the issue that they have no right to vote him out/make him sell.

I DO know the NBA Constitution allows for everything that has happened to him, so no.

OB
04-30-2014, 11:23 PM
I DO know the NBA Constitution allows for everything that has happened to him, so no.

I'm not saying the fine and ban were against any nba rule. I'm talking about making him sell. I'm sure there are pretty specific guidelines. . And when I said he had no constitutional claim I was talking about the US constitution not the NBAs.

MOtorboat
04-30-2014, 11:23 PM
I'm not saying the fine and ban were against it I'm talking about making him sell. And I was talking about the US constitution not the NBAs.

Also a part of his agreement with the NBA. So no.

OB
04-30-2014, 11:26 PM
Also a part of his agreement with the NBA. So no.

So you have a copy of it? Would you mind sharing?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-30-2014, 11:31 PM
Affirmative action in action. It would be an affront to let another white man buy it. There would be some outrage, thats for sure

What will they be changing the name to?

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/daily-take/201404/donald-sterling-los-angeles-clippers-new-owner-name-change-nba

As a white man I find that to be little offensive. Yes, the owner needs to be removed, but how is it now right to say it's only for sale to non-white people? That sounds like reverse racism. It's not the entire Caucasian population that made the comments. It was one guy.

MOtorboat
04-30-2014, 11:31 PM
So you have a copy of it? Would you mind sharing?

http://mediacentral.nba.com/media/mediacentral/NBA-Constitution-and-By-Laws.pdf

Buff
04-30-2014, 11:33 PM
Reverse racism alert.

weazel
04-30-2014, 11:33 PM
Whats getting lost in all this is that this gold digging bimbo had this recording for a year or so. Sounds like she records all of her conversations to hopefully make profit from it later. Isn't there a law against recording someone without their knowledge?

MOtorboat
04-30-2014, 11:34 PM
Whats getting lost in all this is that this gold digging bimbo had this recording for a year or so. Sounds like she records all of her conversations to hopefully make profit from it later. Isn't there a law against recording someone without their knowledge?

Depends on the state. California, yes.

aberdien
04-30-2014, 11:40 PM
g6bLKe9-Mto

OB
04-30-2014, 11:41 PM
http://mediacentral.nba.com/media/mediacentral/NBA-Constitution-and-By-Laws.pdf

Ok. So there are two sections he could be booted for. 13a and/or 13d. Both worded loosely enough for any good lawyer to bring a legit lawsuit.

Part A - using the term willfully. http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/willful.
There is no precise definition of the term willful because its meaning largely depends on the context in which it appears. It generally signifies a sense of the intentional as opposed to the inadvertent, the deliberate as opposed to the unplanned, and the voluntary as opposed to the compelled. After centuries of court cases, it has no single meaning, whether as an adjective (willful) or an adverb (willfully).

Statutes and case law have adapted the term willful to the particular circumstances of action and inaction peculiar to specific areas of the law, including tort law, criminal law, workers' compensation, and Unemployment Compensation. A willful violation, for example, may mean a deliberate intent to violate the law, an intent to perform an act that the law forbids, an intent to refrain from performing an act that the law requires, an indifference to whether or not action or inaction violates the law, or some other variant.

Part D. Contractural obligations. These are the by laws. They are not the actual contracts.

So yes. He has a lawsuit should he so choose.

OB
04-30-2014, 11:46 PM
Depends on the state. California, yes.

Another issue sterling can use in his favor. Just sayin.

OB
04-30-2014, 11:52 PM
I originally said he had a suit and this was your response:

All I did was prove my point.

Nighty night.

Buff
04-30-2014, 11:57 PM
g6bLKe9-Mto

Standing Ovation.

OB
05-01-2014, 12:03 AM
Mo, you are the squidward to my sponge bob :D

Northman
05-01-2014, 04:56 AM
He might try to fight it all he wants, but his rights have not been violated.

Maybe not from the NBA itself, but i wonder about the illegal recording from the chick? Certainly he has a case against her no? While she denies giving any information to the league i highly doubt he knew he was being recorded.

Northman
05-01-2014, 05:00 AM

Look no further than the Incongnito and Martin case. It probably goes on a lot more than people want to admit.

Northman
05-01-2014, 05:01 AM
I don't necessarily see the problem in an owner being held to a higher standard than a player

Dunno, i see them all representing the league. Not too mention young people look up to players, not owners.

Northman
05-01-2014, 05:05 AM

Which makes me wonder if he can bring a case against her. Its not going to really win him anything but damned if i wouldnt want to put that bitch back in her place.

atwater27
05-01-2014, 09:05 AM

That is not what people are arguing. The 'constitutionality' (NBA one) of forcing him to sell his team is where it gets cloudy. The reasons are more for financial problems than social. Interpretation by the courts could make things interesting.

atwater27
05-01-2014, 09:09 AM
I originally said he had a suit and this was your response:

All I did was prove my point.

Nighty night.

:beer::lol::first::congrats:

Poet
05-01-2014, 11:07 AM
I'm sure some sort of legal claim can be filed, but I don't think that he has much of a choice.

Buff
05-01-2014, 11:13 AM
Simmons' Sterling column - http://grantland.com/features/sterlings-fold/

Poet
05-01-2014, 11:14 AM
As the Daily News reported Wednesday, if Sterling sues, he would likely base his case on language in the NBA constitution that deals with conduct that constitutes “willful acts,” a term that can be difficult to interpret and enforce. Generally those acts include criminal behavior, financial instability or gambling or fixing games.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/sterling-set-fight-nba-ban-lawsuit-blocking-sale-clippers-source-article-1.1774769#ixzz30TtMVc7E

Maybe the argument from Sterling is that he did not willfully show his racism through a purposeful action?

BroncoJoe
05-01-2014, 11:19 AM
I have SO many mixed feelings about this whole situation, that it's probably best I just enjoy reading the thoughts of you all.

Northman
05-01-2014, 11:26 AM
I have SO many mixed feelings about this whole situation, that it's probably best I just enjoy reading the thoughts of you all.

I dont blame you.

Its hard to even try to defend him in anyway because of his views even though i think the chick he is with is a lower piece of shit for her own part in it.

Dreadnought
05-01-2014, 11:30 AM

Agreed. I hate the NBA anyways, and this whole episode just increasing my disdain for the entire enterprise just a bit more. Sterling is a stupid racist old *******, his GF is a vicious gold digging skank, and every worthless race hustler in America is falling all over themselves to take advantage of (as in cash in) off of the situation

Northman
05-01-2014, 11:33 AM
It gets better, way to pick them Donald.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/05/01/donald-sterling-pal-v-stiviano-one-day-will-become-president-united-states/?intcmp=features

The woman who recorded Donald Sterling’s infamous racist rant is milking the scandal for all it’s worth.

V. Stiviano has been parading around Los Angeles in her now-trademark face visor (http://nypost.com/2014/04/30/don-sterlings-ex-works-darth-vader-chic/) — and even has an entourage decked out in baseball caps bearing her name, The Post reports (http://nypost.com/2014/05/01/donald-sterlings-former-gal-pal-one-day-ill-be-president/).

During a bizarre encounter with photographers outside a La Brea Avenue restaurant, Stiviano — whose recording of Sterling (http://nypost.com/2014/04/26/nba-owner-told-girlfriend-not-to-bring-black-people-to-games/) got the LA Clippers owner banned for life from the NBA (http://nypost.com/2014/04/29/watch-live-nbas-donald-sterling-press-conference/) — claimed that she would eventually lead the free world.

“One day, I will become president of the United States of America. And I will change the legislation and laws,” she said, according to video posted online. “Modern-day history. Civil-rights movement.”

weazel
05-01-2014, 11:33 AM
I dont blame you.

Its hard to even try to defend him in anyway because of his views even though i think the chick he is with is a lower piece of shit for her own part in it.

I think all parties are complete scum... the chick, the owner, the NBA, the magic man (yes I believe he was working with the chick)

Ravage!!!
05-01-2014, 11:34 AM

Anti-trust. The fact that the bi-laws written between owners is an agreement of ACTIONS, not thoughts. Taking action against someone's personal beliefs is completely different than taking action against THEIR actions. Someone's beliefs and thoughts within their own home is what we are talking about.

His words are racist, no doubt. But he didn't refuse to hire blacks within his organization or team. So there are no actions within his franchise. You will see that he has a LOT to fight with, and could very well win. HHe's a racist douche that has been proved to be racist in other situations and paid out Large amounts of money for it.

So there is no doubt the man is a hateful a-hole and I don't like him. But forcing someone to sell their property purely because he's an a-hole is something I am also VERY much against.

Ravage!!!
05-01-2014, 11:35 AM
I think all parties are complete scum... the chick, the owner, the NBA, the magic man (yes I believe he was working with the chick)

Yeah.... its not a coincidence. It's pretty fishy how this came about.

BroncoJoe
05-01-2014, 11:36 AM
LOL at the visor. Like no one knows what she looks like.

Ravage!!!
05-01-2014, 11:37 AM
As the Daily News reported Wednesday, if Sterling sues, he would likely base his case on language in the NBA constitution that deals with conduct that constitutes “willful acts,” a term that can be difficult to interpret and enforce. Generally those acts include criminal behavior, financial instability or gambling or fixing games.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/sterling-set-fight-nba-ban-lawsuit-blocking-sale-clippers-source-article-1.1774769#ixzz30TtMVc7E

Maybe the argument from Sterling is that he did not willfully show his racism through a purposeful action?

Thats what I was trying to say... thanks King. The lawyers I heard talking were saying that his "words are his thoughts, that's not purposeful action, and there is nothing within the owners constitution that governs a person's thoughts."

MOtorboat
05-01-2014, 11:42 AM
Anti-trust. The fact that the bi-laws written between owners is an agreement of ACTIONS, not thoughts. Taking action against someone's personal beliefs is completely different than taking action against THEIR actions. Someone's beliefs and thoughts within their own home is what we are talking about.

His words are racist, no doubt. But he didn't refuse to hire blacks within his organization or team. So there are no actions within his franchise. You will see that he has a LOT to fight with, and could very well win. HHe's a racist douche that has been proved to be racist in other situations and paid out Large amounts of money for it.

So there is no doubt the man is a hateful a-hole and I don't like him. But forcing someone to sell their property purely because he's an a-hole is something I am also VERY much against.

I don't think the NBA has an anti-trust agreement.

OB
05-01-2014, 12:07 PM
LOL at the visor. Like no one knows what she looks like.

All she has to do is smile :lol:

Ravage!!!
05-01-2014, 12:11 PM
I don't think the NBA has an anti-trust agreement.

The lawyers said that can be a very real possibility. He talked about how anti-trust lawsuits were interesting in the sense that if Sterling would win, not only could he get the money back that he lost, but it could be TRIPLED. That's a very expensive chance that the NBA would be taking.

atwater27
05-01-2014, 12:12 PM
I'm sure some sort of legal claim can be filed, but I don't think that he has much of a choice.

You are assuming he is a sensible man.

MOtorboat
05-01-2014, 12:13 PM
The lawyers said that can be a very real possibility. He talked about how anti-trust lawsuits were interesting in the sense that if Sterling would win, not only could he get the money back that he lost, but it could be TRIPLED. That's a very expensive chance that the NBA would be taking.

Which lawyers?

Poet
05-01-2014, 12:22 PM
Thats what I was trying to say... thanks King. The lawyers I heard talking were saying that his "words are his thoughts, that's not purposeful action, and there is nothing within the owners constitution that governs a person's thoughts."

It will be interesting to see how the willful action is interpreted though. The statement don't bring them to my games is an action that he willfully said and the result of that statement can be construed as many things. One of those things can literally be that he does not want African Americans there, which hurts business. When you hurt business you're usually screwed. In other words, I think that it is possible that when this gets to court the actual racist statement might hit the backburner as they try to decipher what it legally means and not societal.

Northman
05-01-2014, 12:35 PM
The statement don't bring them to my games is an action that he willfully said and the result of that statement can be construed as many things.

And this is my major issue with this whole thing. Those things were said in private and not out in a public forum and most likely recorded illegally. As much as i hate to defend the guy it just really bothers me that stuff he said in private (and supposed to be confidential between he and his chick) is being used to force him out of the league. Its not that he isnt at fault for saying those things but this isnt a case of he said/she said. The girl recorded it without his knowledge and then this happens. I dont know if he has any ground to use that avenue as a defense for his league ban or possible sale but its just very disturbing to me that this has gone down in the particular manner that it has.

OB
05-01-2014, 12:47 PM
Plus I'd have to re-listen but I think he was saying he doesnt want HER with black guys at the game - if that is the case you cant say that is a willful act against the league or the players - he was just telling his woman how to behave in public - 100's of million of men do that every day

But maybe we will all get lucky and his old, tired, haggard, racist fat ass will just croak :dead:

Slick
05-01-2014, 12:51 PM
Plus I'd have to re-listen but I think he was saying he doesnt want HER with black guys at the game - if that is the case you cant say that is a willful act against the league or the players - he was just telling his woman how to behave in public - 100's of million of men do that every day

But maybe we will all get lucky and his old, tired, haggard, racist fat ass will just croak :dead:

That used to be my hope. That one day all the racists and homophobes would die off during my lifetime and we would get passed this nonsense. The problem is, those people procreate and teach the same shit to their kids.

Poet
05-01-2014, 12:57 PM
And this is my major issue with this whole thing. Those things were said in private and not out in a public forum and most likely recorded illegally. As much as i hate to defend the guy it just really bothers me that stuff he said in private (and supposed to be confidential between he and his chick) is being used to force him out of the league. Its not that he isnt at fault for saying those things but this isnt a case of he said/she said. The girl recorded it without his knowledge and then this happens. I dont know if he has any ground to use that avenue as a defense for his league ban or possible sale but its just very disturbing to me that this has gone down in the particular manner that it has.

The statement is not recorded illegally. The reason why I know that is because my state was the last state to get rid of recording laws.

This all goes down to business, really. As a businessman, he is more cognizant than any of us about talking like that. He knows that he is tied to a league that makes millions of dollars. He knows that you can be recorded at all times, and he knows that there is such a thing as a jilted lover. He said it anyway. This also isn't news, he was known to be a dirty to those who used his real estate. As far as the NBA is concerned, he has become a liability to profits. He is endangering the most important aspect of their business. Let's be honest, he's not the only old white guy with old and vicious views that happens to have a lot of money and power. I'm not saying that the rest of the owners are racist, but I am saying that he's not exactly a statistical aberration in terms of worldviews. The NBA has to get rid of him. Or at least do their damnedest to get rid of him.

Someone made the comparison to the CEO from Foxfire. The distinction that I would draw here is that the Firefox CEO made a political donation that was informed by his faith. There is nothing relevant that informs Sterling's actions. Even then, I defend the company for firing the CEO because it comes down to business.

OB, the quote, one of them at least "is don't bring them/blacks to my games." He also told her that she can be with them everyday and see them everyday, but that she should not bring them to his games and not to post pictures of herself with them on instagram. That message speaks for itself, and a semantics laden argument is not going to derail it.

Northman
05-01-2014, 01:09 PM
The statement is not recorded illegally. .

Ill get back to the rest of your post in a minute but i wanted to ask you about this then. Not sure when this site was created but maybe you can clarify if the Invasion of Privacy laws are no longer in effect in California.

http://www.bc-llp.com/Legal-Guides/Illegally-Recording-a-Conversation.html

Penal Code § 632, enacted under the California Invasion of Privacy Act, makes it illegal for an individual to monitor or record a "confidential communication" whether the communication is carried on among the parties in the presence of one another or by means of a telegraph, telephone, or other device. California is known as a "two-party" state, which means that recordings are not allowed unless all parties to the conversation consent to the recording.

Poet
05-01-2014, 01:13 PM
Ill get back to the rest of your post in a minute but i wanted to ask you about this then. Not sure when this site was created but maybe you can clarify if the Invasion of Privacy laws are no longer in effect in California.

http://www.bc-llp.com/Legal-Guides/Illegally-Recording-a-Conversation.html

Give me a minute to look something up, North. You might have just rebutted a very fine attorney that I know.

I stand corrected. I 'mis-remembered' a power-point slide from last semester which simply said that most states are one-party consent states and that the two-part consent methodology appears to be on the way out. I apologize, Northman.

Northman
05-01-2014, 01:17 PM
He knows that you can be recorded at all times,

Not sure i follow here. Does this mean he signed some kind of contract that allows him to be recorded even if he doesnt know he is?

He said it anyway. This also isn't news, he was known to be a dirty to those who used his real estate. As far as the NBA is concerned, he has become a liability to profits. He is endangering the most important aspect of their business.

Of course, you wont get an argument from me that he is a racist *******. That much is evident but i think in the manner to which he was "outed" is very sketchy. For me, this is kind of like a cop doing a illegal search and seizure and not having the evidence allowed during a trial because of it. I mean, the damage has been done regardless but i just think the way this has gone down sets a very bad precedent because ANYONE could have this happen to them regarding anything they said in private.

Let's be honest, he's not the only old white guy with old and vicious views that happens to have a lot of money and power. I'm not saying that the rest of the owners are racist, but I am saying that he's not exactly a statistical aberration in terms of worldviews. The NBA has to get rid of him. Or at least do their damnedest to get rid of him.

Of course they do, like i said the damage has been done no matter if he was illegally recorded or not. There just isnt any turning back for Sterling or the NBA in this regard.

Poet
05-01-2014, 01:24 PM
Not sure i follow here. Does this mean he signed some kind of contract that allows him to be recorded even if he doesnt know he is?

I'm referring to the culture that we live in. Between all the camera and audio capabilities on cell-phones these days to the NSA, our shit is out there. He's also culturally aware of it, too. In that clip he's referring to instagram and taking pictures. He's a millionaire/billionaire who owns a NBA team. He makes money off of technology and social media and reaches his fanbase with media that goes to their phones. That's my point.

Of course, you wont get an argument from me that he is a racist *******. That much is evident but i think in the manner to which he was "outed" is very sketchy. For me, this is kind of like a cop doing a illegal search and seizure and not having the evidence allowed during a trial because of it. I mean, the damage has been done regardless but i just think the way this has gone down sets a very bad precedent because ANYONE could have this happen to them regarding anything they said in private.

I don't see it as that invasive. The Founding Fathers gave us protection from searches and seizures via the Fourth Amendment. They gave us the ability to fight off that sort of thing civilly as well. I guess my point is that the situation that he's in now pales in comparison to having a cop concoct evidence against him and wrongfully convict him, or at least wrongly start the entrance to our criminal justice system.

Of course they do, like i said the damage has been done no matter if he was illegally recorded or not. There just isnt any turning back for Sterling or the NBA in this regard.
The damage is done. That we can agree upon.