PDA

View Full Version : Broncos 2014 schedule

VonDoom
04-23-2014, 06:55 PM
From Lombardi's Twitter:

https://twitter.com/VicLombardi/status/459116627985195009/photo/1

BroncoWave
04-23-2014, 06:57 PM
I am pretty pissed. Won't be able to go to the @Cincy game because it's a Monday night during Christmas week. Ain't getting off work for that. Next closest to me would be NE. Don't think I can swing that one.

VonDoom
04-23-2014, 06:58 PM
vs Colts - SNF
vs Chiefs
at Seahawks
Bye
vs Cardinals
at Jets
vs 49ers - SNF
vs Chargers - TNF
at Patriots
at Raiders
at Rams
vs Dolphins
at Chiefs - SNF
vs Bills
at Chargers
at Bengals - MNF
vs Raiders

VonDoom
04-23-2014, 07:00 PM
At first glance, I don't like this at all. Three straight road games and six of eight on the road in the second half. Bye in week 4 sucks. Sunday night vs 49ers and then the next Thursday vs the Chargers?? I thought they never scheduled a short week after a night game. I like getting the Seahawks game early and I like finishing up beating up on the Raiders in case that game means anything to us. Otherwise ... yuck.

ShaneFalco
04-23-2014, 07:04 PM
vs Chargers - TNF

want to get tickets for that

Pudge
04-23-2014, 07:05 PM
I'm stoked for the opener, I've been to the last four openers, won't be missing this one either

ShaneFalco
04-23-2014, 07:06 PM
wow Rams schedule is hardest of any team wtf.

Pudge
04-23-2014, 07:11 PM
wow Rams schedule is hardest of any team wtf.

They always talk about hardest and easiest schedule but teams change so much year from year that it rarely means anything. I remember everyone talking about how the Broncos schedule was the hardest and at the end of the year everyone talking about how we weren't ready for the playoffs because we had such an easy schedule and we weren't battle tested.

slim
04-23-2014, 07:15 PM
Having the bye in week four is less than ideal...also 3 road games in a row to start November sucks.

slim
04-23-2014, 07:15 PM
They always talk about hardest and easiest schedule but teams change so much year from year that it rarely means anything. I remember everyone talking about how the Broncos schedule was the hardest and at the end of the year everyone talking about how we weren't ready for the playoffs because we had such an easy schedule and we weren't battle tested.

I am surprised people still bring it up.

Shazam!
04-23-2014, 07:18 PM
I despise having the Bye so early. This ain't good.

7DnBrnc53
04-23-2014, 07:19 PM
I am surprised that the Seattle game isn't on some form of Prime Time. Why the league won't have those two play Week 1 I don't know.

BroncoWave
04-23-2014, 07:23 PM
I am surprised that the Seattle game isn't on some form of Prime Time. Why the league won't have those two play Week 1 I don't know.

Because week 1 is typically when the SB winner gets their rings, hangs the banner, and all that jazz. They would not make the team that lost the Super Bowl have to sit through that. I don't know why anyone thought this was a possibility.

spikerman
04-23-2014, 07:57 PM
That game against sf looks enticing for the tailgate.

sneakers
04-23-2014, 08:07 PM
when is the last time the broncos didn't play the patriots in a season? jimminy crickets!

Dzone
04-23-2014, 08:14 PM
when is the last time the broncos didn't play the patriots in a season? jimminy crickets!
Jimminy crickets LOL...Good thing. Going to New england every year sucked..seems like the last time we won there was when shannon called in the national guard
Oops, , I just noticed we are going there week 9..well shit

BroncoWave
04-23-2014, 08:16 PM
It's a myth that we have to go to New England every year. In the Brady era we have played the Pats 10 times in the regular season and 5 of those games have been in Denver.

VonDoom
04-23-2014, 08:47 PM
It's a myth that we have to go to New England every year. In the Brady era we have played the Pats 10 times in the regular season and 5 of those games have been in Denver.

We've been through this a lot, but someone always thinks the NFL is out to get us when it comes to the Patriots. Again, it's a rotating formula that is actually very even over a stretch of six years or so. If we happen to finish in the same spot as the Patriots again this year and next year, we will play them in 2015 and 2016 ... both in Denver. And the next time we're scheduled to play the AFC East in its entirety is 2017, where we flip flop the home and away games. So we'd play the Patriots again ... in Denver. I have a longer version of the schedule formula in a couple of posts somewhere around here but I'm too lazy to find it unless someone is interested.

Dzone
04-23-2014, 08:56 PM
I reckon so, maybe it just seems like forever that denver has been playing at new england

Buff
04-23-2014, 09:12 PM
Only one Monday night game and it's at the end of the year. Good. I like my football on Sundays.

Damn a Thursday night game too. I guess they are inevitable nowadays.

WTE
04-23-2014, 09:16 PM

When you finish first in your Division you have the privilege of playing New England.

Dapper Dan
04-23-2014, 09:25 PM
Crap. That Bengals game on Monday will be expensive. :(

VonDoom
04-23-2014, 09:30 PM
I reckon so, maybe it just seems like forever that denver has been playing at new england

I can certainly see how it would feel that way. Three years running now, plus the playoff game in 2011 with Tebow. Hell, that regular season game with Tebow was so dreadful, it might as well have been in NE. But trust me, it will start to even out next year, provided we both finish in the same spot in our divisions again.

VonDoom
04-23-2014, 09:31 PM
Damn a Thursday night game too. I guess they are inevitable nowadays.

Yeah, I think it's mandatory that every team gets one Thursday game.

DenBronx
04-23-2014, 09:34 PM
The last few years I havent liked the schedule......the last few years we also have went to the playoffs.

This year again I don't like the schedule.

13-3 ....uhhhhgain! And no NE wont be one of the 3 loses this time.

Dapper Dan
04-23-2014, 09:34 PM
I don't mind the schedule as a whole. It doesn't seem "too" easy, but there's still no "murderer's row" section in there.

Buff
04-23-2014, 09:36 PM
The only silver lining to playing the NFC West is that we are forced to gameplan for all of them in the regular season. We were pissing into the wind with our SB gameplan.

spikerman
04-23-2014, 09:38 PM
When you finish first in your Division you have the privilege of playing New England.

The NFL just wants to make sure a decent crowd shows up for a game in NE.

Buff
04-23-2014, 09:40 PM
The NFL just wants to make sure a decent crowd shows up for a game in NE.

It does feel like we have a road game in NE every season though, doesn't it?

DenBronx
04-23-2014, 09:43 PM
no shit sherlock.

every damn year they get us at home.

BroncoWave
04-23-2014, 09:44 PM
From 2000-2011 we played the Pats 9 times and 6 of those were in Denver. Since then we have played them twice in a row in NE. After this year, it will have been 6 home games in the last 12 against NE, so it's evened out after we had a little stretch of mostly playing them in Denver.

weazel
04-23-2014, 09:45 PM
looks like the NFL doesnt want to see the Broncos getting blown out in another super bowl. 6 road games in 8? playing Thursday after a sunday nighter? Nice time for a bye week too, thanks for that.

BroncoWave
04-23-2014, 09:47 PM
looks like the NFL doesnt want to see the Broncos getting blown out in another super bowl. 6 road games in 8? playing Thursday after a sunday nighter? Nice time for a bye week too, thanks for that.

If we're really a Super Bowl caliber team the schedule shouldn't matter. I like how tough it looks, should make us more battle tested for the playoffs. We coasted through a pretty darn easy schedule last year and had a pretty soft road through the AFC playoffs. Maybe a tougher schedule will make us a little more ready for the Super Bowl should we get there again.

LawDog
04-23-2014, 09:50 PM

Thanks to the pop warner division you play in...

Buff
04-23-2014, 09:54 PM

I didn't realize the Thu night was after a Sunday night... That divisional game against the Chargers is known as a "Schedule Loss" in the NBA. Especially coming off a physical game against SF.

Dzone
04-23-2014, 10:09 PM
3 NFL games to be played in London. Bad for the players who have to do it, good for Goodell ,who is determined to force expansion to Europe whether we like it or not.
So what is the projected 2014 record for Denver? NFC west title or wildcard? Wildcard might be better in the long run
Edit- AFC West! LOL...just a typo

BroncoWave
04-23-2014, 10:12 PM
3 NFL games to be played in London. Bad for the players who have to do it, good for Goodell ,who is determined to force expansion to Europe whether we like it or not.
So what is the projected 2014 record for Denver? NFC west title or wildcard? Wildcard might be better in the long run

That would be pretty impressive if we won the NFC West. :D

Dzone
04-23-2014, 11:15 PM
That would be pretty impressive if we won the NFC West. :D
LOL...Ya that would be something

Az Snake
04-24-2014, 12:16 AM
Tough schedule this year ?
So what ?
If the Broncos have health and depth, bring 'em all on !!!

Jaws
04-24-2014, 02:21 AM
I will have serious withdrawals with that bye so soon in the season.

Glad to see a combined five SNF/MNF/TNF. That's at least five games that will be aired this side of the pond.

spikerman
04-24-2014, 05:45 AM
I would not be the least bit surprised if the Broncos have a worse record than last year, but are an overall better team.

artie_dale
04-24-2014, 07:02 AM
I'm ready for our team to be truly tested with no cake walk games. If we make it to the playoffs, I'll feel better about it because of what looks will be a grind of a regular season.

VonDoom
04-24-2014, 08:14 AM
I would not be the least bit surprised if the Broncos have a worse record than last year, but are an overall better team.

This is what I'm thinking. I only see 10-11 wins in our schedule, and almost nothing will be easy. The division games are going to be especially important this year.

I still see us winning the division, but probably as a 3 or 4 seed and having to fight through the playoffs to get back. At least we'll be battle tested by then.

Our schedule sucks, but the rest of the division is in bad shape as well, don't forget. I see about 7-8 wins for the Chiefs, and it could be worse if they implode early (after the Titans at home, the next six weeks for the Chiefs are this - at Broncos, at Dolphins, vs Patriots, at 49ers, bye, at Chargers. That's a brutal stretch for them that they might not recover from). The Chargers will be our biggest issue, as I could see around 10 wins for them as well. Their first two weeks are tough, but then they have a run of fairly easy games. I could see them at around 8-3 before a terrible end of year for them that might lead to a collapse - at Ravens, vs Patriots, vs Broncos, at 49ers, at Chiefs. I didn't even look at the Raiders, for obvious reasons.

MasterShake
04-24-2014, 08:31 AM
I'm ready for our team to be truly tested with no cake walk games. If we make it to the playoffs, I'll feel better about it because of what looks will be a grind of a regular season.

Yup. I'd rather have a tested 10-6 or 11-5 team that had gone through hell then a bunch of pretty wins all season that leads to an ugly playoff or Super Bowl loss. No matter what I will be there every Sunday cheering! You never know when your team will hit the skids again and just be mediocre.

I came across this graphic the other day and its shocking how many fanbases are just hungry for half the chance that we have. Kansas City fans probably felt suicidal after last year:

Northman
04-24-2014, 08:47 AM
Battle testing schedule, i like it. Now if we can just stay healthy and not have a certain LB acting like a jackass we should be good to go.

Valar Morghulis
04-24-2014, 09:36 AM
It is still so long until kick off, but the schedule release had literally made me so excited!

Going to be a tough season and I doubt we will break any offensive records but it will be some ride!

broncofaninfla
04-24-2014, 09:39 AM
Not loving the early bye. If we are able to be the #1 seed again this year in the AFC taht will tell me a lot about this years team. This schedule is brutal but despite the blow out loss to Seattle, I still feel we can beat any team in the NFL at home or on the road..........the season can't start soon enough for me.

BroncoNut
04-24-2014, 09:48 AM
That game against sf looks enticing for the tailgate.

that would be a good one. would get to see Dan Moreno in action finally

BroncoNut
04-24-2014, 09:49 AM
why is an early bye so bad? assuming we get beat up as the season goesn on, I don't really think it's that big of a deal. shouldn't be anyway if we are going to be good good

Shazam!
04-24-2014, 10:17 AM
Denver won the NFC East last year... Lol

Dzone
04-24-2014, 10:28 AM
At least the bye comes during warm sunny weather and can spend the Sunday outside. Unless there are some good games on tv..lol

Buff
04-24-2014, 10:41 AM
At least the bye comes during warm sunny weather and can spend the Sunday outside. Unless there are some good games on tv..lol

I don't go outside on NFL Sunday if I can help it. :D

NightTerror218
04-24-2014, 10:42 AM
This is year 3 in a row at NE. Last time they were in Denver for regular season I this was McDaniels first year.

I still think we are the best AFC team with Colt Bengals and Pats right behind. I see 11 wins.

Ravage!!!
04-24-2014, 10:46 AM
I hate the bye week being so early, that sucks big donkie knobs.

MasterShake
04-24-2014, 11:18 AM
I hate the bye week being so early, that sucks big donkie knobs.

Yeah that is my only complaint as well. You could almost make a case for resting players at the end of the season depending on how playoff seeding shakes out. Those first 10 weeks are BRUTAL.

VonDoom
04-24-2014, 11:26 AM
Yeah that is my only complaint as well. You could almost make a case for resting players at the end of the season depending on how playoff seeding shakes out. Those first 10 weeks are BRUTAL.

Agreed. I think if we're 6-4 there, I'd take it. Better than that, and we'll be looking great for the stretch run and might be able to actually rest some guys.

Runamok
04-24-2014, 04:34 PM
I despise having the Bye so early. This ain't good.

The League probably figured we'd need it after the Seahawks get finished beating up on us agin.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-24-2014, 05:48 PM
I was listening to my friend Charles Johnson (who, incidentally, didn't even get in the end zone on the fifth down), and he proclaimed on the radio that the Broncos will go 10-6, in part due to the "gauntlet" in the middle of the schedule.

To which I say: There's no gauntlet — the Broncos are the gauntlet!

I see Denver again winning the division, again winning at least 12 games, probably 13, which Peyton Manning is wont to do (Also, for the record, I won't "wont" that often). With the schedule released Wednesday night, Thursday was the day that Denver dissected this thing. Everyone has predictions — on our morning Denver Post Press Box show (9-11 a.m. on denverpost.com/pressbox), my guy Oren Lomena said 10-6, as well. And I'm like — wait, where did this team get worse? Let alone three games worse?

And I don't see the division being as tough as it was last season. Kansas City, bless their hearts, had a fun run last season, but the Chiefs lost a bunch of fellows in free agency.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_25631203/hochman-why-broncos-will-win-at-least-12

artie_dale
04-25-2014, 09:44 AM
It is still so long until kick off, but the schedule release had literally made me so excited!

Going to be a tough season and I doubt we will break any offensive records but it will be some ride!

Now... to break defensive records!

artie_dale
04-25-2014, 09:49 AM
why is an early bye so bad? assuming we get beat up as the season goesn on, I don't really think it's that big of a deal. shouldn't be anyway if we are going to be good good

I agree. Until we win a Super Bowl with a late bye, I think this isn't an issue. Rest is out the door with these fricken Thursday games anyway so everyone is screwed regardless (unless you're a no-name team that didn't land any prime-time spots).

Valar Morghulis
04-25-2014, 11:42 AM
Right that's it - i am all in on an undefeated season.

Early bye - pah.
NFC west - pah.
NE in Foxborough - pah.

We have PFM and a defense skillfully put together by JFE - what more could we ask for!

BroncoJoe
04-25-2014, 11:44 AM
Right that's it - i am all in on an undefeated season.

Early bye - pah.
NFC west - pah.
NE in Foxborough - pah.

We have PFM and a defense skillfully put together by JFE - what more could we ask for!

Atta boy, Dave. I like you.

Not in an AGap way, fyi.

BroncoNut
04-25-2014, 12:00 PM
If we're really a Super Bowl caliber team the schedule shouldn't matter. I like how tough it looks, should make us more battle tested for the playoffs. We coasted through a pretty darn easy schedule last year and had a pretty soft road through the AFC playoffs. Maybe a tougher schedule will make us a little more ready for the Super Bowl should we get there again.

or maybe not. this seems a bit extreme and I can't help but to suspect that the NFL "powers that be", may not be too fond of the Broncos

artie_dale
04-25-2014, 12:05 PM
or maybe not. this seems a bit extreme and I can't help but to suspect that the NFL "powers that be", may not be too fond of the Broncos

I actually think "the powers that be" are focused more on schedules that bring in more revenue, not playing favorites.

And as far as whether tougher schedules make for better preparation for Super Bowls... Our team broke records against our schedule, Seattle had to battle through their division as well as beat teams like Carolina & New Orleans. The proof for now, is in the pudding. Seattle didn't blink or skip a beat. They were, looked, and played as ready as a team who deserves a Super Bowl win.

BroncoNut
04-25-2014, 12:18 PM
I actually think "the powers that be" are focused more on schedules that bring in more revenue, not playing favorites.

And as far as whether tougher schedules make for better preparation for Super Bowls... Our team broke records against our schedule, Seattle had to battle through their division as well as beat teams like Carolina & New Orleans. The proof for now, is in the pudding. Seattle didn't blink or skip a beat. They were, looked, and played as ready as a team who deserves a Super Bowl win.

I was being sarcastic Artie, I just like conspiracy theories. but I agree with what you say here, and yeah, records really don't mean much to this football fan in light of your statement here.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-25-2014, 12:27 PM
The Denver Broncos schedule was released this week to plenty of fanfare and handwringing. Fans of the National Football League immediately began dissecting the games, match-ups and how many national appearances each of their teams would be making.

Not long after the release of all 32 schedules, the Broncos’ slate of games was determined to not only be very challenging, but (by some accounts) the second most difficult in the entire league.

With knowledge of actual opponents known long before the dates and television broadcasts were released, the way things shook out for the Broncos was actually a massive stroke of luck.

They were actually pretty fortunate.

rest - http://milehighsports.com/2014/04/25/broncos-lucked-out-with-schedule/

G_Money
04-25-2014, 01:34 PM
I pulled up the schedule to see what all the fuss was about. I don't like the early bye, but other than that...

What's the big deal?

We start off with two at home against teams we won't take lightly (Indy and KC) and both should be wins. Seattle at their place is practically a guaranteed loss, but ya never know. We'll certainly be up for that game.

Then a bye, followed by 3 of four games at home (Cards, Niners, Chargers) with the only road game being a traveling thumping of the hapless Jets. The Chargers game on a Thursday night will be a key, but they're playing KC the previous Sunday - not exactly someone they'll be sleepwalking through either. We'll be more beat-up after the Niners, but the game is here.

Then the road nonsense starts. At NE isn't fun, but followed by @ Oakland and @ St. Louis? Not scared of those games. And we have a mini-bye before NE thanks to the Thursday night game the week before.

Home to Miami, @ KC in November because of course, then our second bye week (I mean, the Bills in Denver) followed by trips to SD and Cincy, then wrapping the season at home in another potential rest game against the Raiders (depending on what's going on with playoff seeding). And if we NEED that last game against the Raiders for seeding or even playoff-making should disaster ensue, I'm glad it's there.

Motivation shouldn't be hard to find over the course of the schedule, we get the Niners here, and the toughest back-to-backs are KC-then-@-Seattle, Niners-Chargers (also because of the short week), and @-SD-@Cincy in December.

Playing the NFC West, that could have been worse. Getting a bye in the middle of our NFCW trek isn't the worst thing that could happen to us, and will hopefully help us not overlook the tough-minded Cards coming off that bye, since they're sandwiched between the Hawks and the Niners.

Schedule looks good to me. Toss the coin and let's get started.

~G

MasterShake
04-28-2014, 12:31 PM
I pulled up the schedule to see what all the fuss was about. I don't like the early bye, but other than that...

What's the big deal?

We start off with two at home against teams we won't take lightly (Indy and KC) and both should be wins. Seattle at their place is practically a guaranteed loss, but ya never know. We'll certainly be up for that game.

Then a bye, followed by 3 of four games at home (Cards, Niners, Chargers) with the only road game being a traveling thumping of the hapless Jets. The Chargers game on a Thursday night will be a key, but they're playing KC the previous Sunday - not exactly someone they'll be sleepwalking through either. We'll be more beat-up after the Niners, but the game is here.

Then the road nonsense starts. At NE isn't fun, but followed by @ Oakland and @ St. Louis? Not scared of those games. And we have a mini-bye before NE thanks to the Thursday night game the week before.

Home to Miami, @ KC in November because of course, then our second bye week (I mean, the Bills in Denver) followed by trips to SD and Cincy, then wrapping the season at home in another potential rest game against the Raiders (depending on what's going on with playoff seeding). And if we NEED that last game against the Raiders for seeding or even playoff-making should disaster ensue, I'm glad it's there.

Motivation shouldn't be hard to find over the course of the schedule, we get the Niners here, and the toughest back-to-backs are KC-then-@-Seattle, Niners-Chargers (also because of the short week), and @-SD-@Cincy in December.

Playing the NFC West, that could have been worse. Getting a bye in the middle of our NFCW trek isn't the worst thing that could happen to us, and will hopefully help us not overlook the tough-minded Cards coming off that bye, since they're sandwiched between the Hawks and the Niners.

~G

Great points. I also have to remember the NFC East looked brutal to me last year as well. I think one of the losses I picked was Vs the Giants. You just never know. One thing I do know is that our team under Manning has been consistently excellent in the regular season. We just need to get our head on straight in the post season a little more.

wcben
04-28-2014, 12:59 PM
I see a win in NE, 10 days prep, tony carter don't - Broncos win.

NightTerror218
04-29-2014, 06:41 PM

What's the big deal?

~G

I think Bills are better then you think. They have a good front 7. 3guys with double digit sacks. Jets have Vick now which is huge upgrade over any one. I would not lay down on them. I just do not like calling any team auto win.

G_Money
04-30-2014, 03:32 PM
I agree, neither the Bills nor the Jets are a total dumpster fire - but if we plan to win championships, then we should be stepping on the Little Sisters of the Poor in the league, doncha think?

If we don't house the Bills and the Jets, then we're not who we thought we were. Forget about who they are, it's who we are. The Bills, in Denver, played in anything short of an apocalyptic blizzard, should be a cakewalk.

If it's not, it's because WE made it that way. Take care of our business. If the Bills D-line destroys our OL then we're not a true title contender anyway, because we'll have already seen the much more formidable defenses of the NFC West at that point and they'll have cut us to ribbons. Yes, the Bills are a "trap" game in between 2 road games against division foes, but teams that plan to win championships don't fall apart to weak teams played at home very often, do they?

No, I'm not afraid of Buffalo. If this team passes its early brutal opponents, then we should have nothing to fear from the soon-to-be Toronto-Maple-Flames.

~G

tomjonesrocks
04-30-2014, 03:57 PM
10-6, in the playoffs as a Wild Card.

Buff
04-30-2014, 03:59 PM

Do you have KC or SD winning the West?

tomjonesrocks
04-30-2014, 04:02 PM
Do you have KC or SD winning the West?

I see SD narrowly winning the West. I think Denver's injured will be a little slow rounding into form and it will cost some games.

Should be a free-for-all in the playoffs though.

Valar Morghulis
04-30-2014, 04:37 PM

I agree 10 - 6 is realistic but i think that still wins the division.