PDA

View Full Version : Orland Franklin Says He's Moving To Left Guard

Cugel
04-21-2014, 03:51 PM
After teeting today 104.3 the Fan, Sandy Clough reports that Franklin has confirmed he's been told he's moving inside to compete for a starting spot at LG.

Not news really, but all the people who keep foolishly arguing against that move and insisting that Franklin was a "great" RT and did fine last year are now officially WRONG. Broncos management wanted an upgrade at the RT spot and they think Franklin did NOT do a good enough job of pass-blocking.

Of course, he may lose out to Manny Ramirez at LG. Or he could start in place of Beadles, with Ramirez keeping his starting C position, while Montgomery backs up. This probably means the Broncos are moving Chris Clark (as expected) to starting RT and possibly drafting a T in the top 2 rounds.

I still would not expect a rookie to start on the Broncos OL, unless they move up and get a really outstanding talent (I think Ryan Clady started his rookie year). But, at #31 you're not normally getting a guy who can step right in and start for a Super Bowl contender.

nevcraw
04-21-2014, 03:54 PM
Franklin started as Rookie. in fact lot of Rookie's start at RT... so quite possible if they get one to beat out Clark.

CoachChaz
04-21-2014, 04:23 PM
Morgan Moses could be there at 31. I think he'd be a capable day one starter at RT.

VonDoom
04-21-2014, 04:41 PM
I'm kind of surprised by this, honestly. I think it's a little reactionary by an organization that generally isn't so. I liked the idea of Clark as super sub for both tackle positions.

However, Clady/Franklin/Ramirez/Vazquez/Clark sounds pretty damn good as a starting OL. Montgomery, Painter, Justice as backups, and I assume we'll still draft someone, though I don't think it has to be very early now.

Traveler
04-21-2014, 05:01 PM
Love this move!

Antonio Richardson, come on down! We'll former 2nd round RT with another 2nd rounder in Richardson. That would be four 320 + lbs beasts on the OL. Painter still not ready for prime time. Justice on the wrong side of 30, and Clark is stop gap. Guessing we'll also draft anothe OG just in case Franklin moves on after this season.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-21-2014, 05:19 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 13m

Reminder: It's only first day of conditioning. No practice yet. Still, coaches wouldn't start O Franklin at LG if they didnt think he could.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 16m

I've been told @OFranklin74 will begin offseason at left guard, but doesn't mean after coaches look at it they don't move him back.

Retweeted by Mike Klis
Orlando Franklin ‏@OFranklin74 1h

Left guard, excited to learn and improve this offseason. I will give it my all

Denver Native (Carol)
04-21-2014, 05:38 PM
Orlando Franklin, a three-year NFL starter at right tackle, tweeted Monday that he is "excited to learn" the left guard position.

Franklin has started 47 regular-season and six postseason games to this point in his three-year career, all of which have come at right tackle.

However, he played three of his four seasons at the University of Miami at left guard. In fact, at the 2011 NFL Scouting Combine, Franklin said he felt as if he could be "a beast at guard."

If the 6-foot-7, 320-pound Franklin is penciled in at the left guard spot previously held by now-Jacksonville Jaguar Zane Beadles, the Broncos' starting offensive line could look like:

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Franklin-Tweets-Move-to-Left-Guard/4a6fe7ea-b16d-4e8c-9615-473df1b769bb

Dapper Dan
04-21-2014, 10:00 PM
Love this move!

Antonio Richardson, come on down! We'll former 2nd round RT with another 2nd rounder in Richardson. That would be four 320 + lbs beasts on the OL. Painter still not ready for prime time. Justice on the wrong side of 30, and Clark is stop gap. Guessing we'll also draft anothe OG just in case Franklin moves on after this season.

Obviously, I'd be thrilled if we got "Tiny" Richardson. His lack of discipline bothers me. I'd like to see stats on how many flags he gets.

Cugel
04-21-2014, 10:16 PM
I don't know why all the hate for Chris Clark. He filled in at LT all season long and did a good job of it. That's the toughest position to play on the entire offense after QB. They want to reward him by giving him a chance at a starting job. When they find a quality guy they want to keep him as a starter if possible, and obviously, he's not going to start when Clady comes back at LT. So, where can he go? Obviously, he's a good pass-blocker, so they consider moving him to starting RT.

This has the benefit of moving Franklin inside. Franklin has been a barely adequate pass-blocker his entire career, and despite all the fans who think he's wonderful at LT, the coaches do not. They're looking for an upgrade there.

“We’ve got some options," he said. "We’ve got Ryan Clady back. That makes us better instantly. I know we lost Zane and we wish him nothing but the best. We may move somebody. You have young guys that have shown promise. There is Ben Garland — whoever that have been with us but haven’t played a lot. We could move a guy in at left guard and put Chris Clark at right tackle. There are a bunch of options and they will define how we go. The coaches will put together a plan."

Since then, the Broncos also signed free-agent center Will Montgomery, who played in 77 of a possible 80 games for the Washington Redskins from 2009-2013. He started every game for each of the past three seasons, and for his career, 46 of his starts have come at center, 10 at right guard and seven at left guard.

So, if Montgomery can impress at C, then they can move Manny Ramirez back to LG where he's a potential Pro-Bowl G, and have Clark starting at RT with Franklin available as a backup at either RT or LG. Of course, all these guys will be competing.

But, Franklin will apparently not be competing for a starting job at RT. Their preference is to find someone else to play his spot.

Dapper Dan
04-21-2014, 10:17 PM
I don't see Franklin as a second stringer at all.

Rick
04-21-2014, 10:27 PM
I love the idea od Big O moving to guard. Franklin, Vazquez and maybe Manny inside, that is a lot of beef to move piles inside for our runners.

I don't give a crap how good the passing game is... if we don't run better we not be winning the big one. We need some balance.

MOtorboat
04-21-2014, 10:39 PM
I'll be the dissenting voice: I hate it.

I hate moving players when there's no clear solution to the position they played. Two is always bigger than one (unknowns, that is).

Dapper Dan
04-21-2014, 10:45 PM

I hate moving players when there's no clear solution to the position they played. Two is always bigger than one (unknowns, that is).

There's also no clear choice for LG either.

MOtorboat
04-21-2014, 11:06 PM
There's also no clear choice for LG either.

Presumably, it's Franklin. :confused:

Dapper Dan
04-21-2014, 11:09 PM
Presumably, it's Franklin. :confused:

Right. But you said you dislike the move because there's no replacement. Either way, you have a hole.

MOtorboat
04-21-2014, 11:17 PM
Right. But you said you dislike the move because there's no replacement. Either way, you have a hole.

Yes. I wasn't sure your point.

Best case Franklin is a road-grader and the rookie drafted is better than Franklin (doubtful). Worst case Franklin blows at guard and the rookie whose drafted doesn't know his ass from his head.

Dapper Dan
04-21-2014, 11:18 PM
Yes. I wasn't sure your point.

Best case Franklin is a road-grader and the rookie drafted is better than Franklin (doubtful). Worst case Franklin blows at guard and the rookie whose drafted doesn't know his ass from his head.

Oh ye of little faith, young padawan.

MOtorboat
04-21-2014, 11:21 PM
Oh ye of little faith, young padawan.

It's a legitimate point. Franklin is still a beast at RT, which he WAS this season, no matter what some idiots will tell you.

Rookie sucks.

Only one hole.

It's simple math.

Dapper Dan
04-21-2014, 11:23 PM
It's a legitimate point. Franklin is still a beast at RT, which he WAS this season, no matter what some idiots will tell you.

Rookie sucks.

Only one hole.

It's simple math.

So if Franklin moves to LG he can never play RT again? Is that somewhere in the CBA?

MOtorboat
04-21-2014, 11:26 PM
So if Franklin moves to LG he can never play RT again? Is that somewhere in the CBA?

I didn't say that...

However, if you move him to RG and he's out of his element and the rookie tackle blows, and Franklin is moved back to RT, he's not practiced there all offseason and season, and there's an even bigger hole at LG, because you drafted a RT.

Dapper Dan
04-21-2014, 11:28 PM
I didn't say that...

However, if you move him to RG and he's out of his element and the rookie tackle blows, and Franklin is moved back to RT, he's not practiced there all offseason and season, and there's an even bigger hole at LG, because you drafted a RT.

The way I see it, I think he's going to practice at G. If he does well, we draft a T. If he doesn't, we draft a G. In all actuality, we probably draft a guy who can play either.

MOtorboat
04-21-2014, 11:29 PM
The way I see it, I think he's going to practice at G. If he does well, we draft a T. If he doesn't, we draft a G. In all actuality, we probably draft a guy who can play either.

They have zero practices before the draft. They have non-pad workouts....

Dapper Dan
04-21-2014, 11:30 PM
They have zero practices before the draft. They have non-pad workouts....

Who do you mean by "they"?

MOtorboat
04-21-2014, 11:31 PM
Who do you mean by "they"?

The entire team.

Dapper Dan
04-21-2014, 11:33 PM
The entire team.

Pads schmads. We'll finger it out.

Dapper Dan
04-21-2014, 11:34 PM
I can't remember his name right now. But there's a G/T in the draft that I like.

MOtorboat
04-21-2014, 11:35 PM
I can't remember his name right now. But there's a G/T in the draft that I like.

If he's from Tennessee it's not worth it.

Dapper Dan
04-21-2014, 11:37 PM
If he's from Tennessee it's not worth it.

He's not from Tennessee. Those guys are pretty position specific. Except for Stone, the Center. He was converted to play Center. I think he was a Guard.

Simple Jaded
04-21-2014, 11:38 PM

Joel Bitonio or Sua-Filo?

Dapper Dan
04-21-2014, 11:41 PM
Joel Bitonio or Sua-Filo?

I'm pretty sure you just made up that name.

Ziggy
04-21-2014, 11:41 PM
Here's what no one is saying. It may have nothing to do with how Franklin played at RT. It may have everything to do with the fact that he played more guard in college than he did tackle and was an absolute stud at guard. It may have something to do with the fact that Elway watched his QB have trouble every time Zane Beadles got pushed back 4 yards into the backfield and Manning couldn't step into his throw. That won't happen to Franklin.

Manning can overcome a pass rush coming from the right edge with a quick release and at times, stepping up into the pocket. He can't overcome the pocket collapsing which causes him not to be able to step into his throws. This move also bolsters the inside running game, which the Broncos desperately need.

Simple Jaded
04-21-2014, 11:42 PM
With Franklin moving to G this must mean he sucks.

Dapper Dan
04-21-2014, 11:43 PM
Damn, Zig. I was totally getting to that.

Simple Jaded
04-21-2014, 11:43 PM
I'm pretty sure you just made up that name.

Harry Cocktostin?

Dapper Dan
04-21-2014, 11:44 PM
Harry Cocktostin?

Yeah. That's him. From Morehead?

DenBronx
04-22-2014, 02:18 AM
With Franklin moving to G this must mean he sucks.

According to the TS Franklin sucks and we were all WRONG.

CoachChaz
04-22-2014, 08:14 AM
JaWuan James from Tennessee could be a 2nd round option at RT

Buff
04-22-2014, 08:27 AM
Here's what no one is saying. It may have nothing to do with how Franklin played at RT. It may have everything to do with the fact that he played more guard in college than he did tackle and was an absolute stud at guard. It may have something to do with the fact that Elway watched his QB have trouble every time Zane Beadles got pushed back 4 yards into the backfield and Manning couldn't step into his throw. That won't happen to Franklin.

Manning can overcome a pass rush coming from the right edge with a quick release and at times, stepping up into the pocket. He can't overcome the pocket collapsing which causes him not to be able to step into his throws. This move also bolsters the inside running game, which the Broncos desperately need.

I don't buy this at all. Beadles would still be starting if we had the $$ to sign him. Franklin is getting demoted.

CoachChaz
04-22-2014, 08:31 AM
I don't buy this at all. Beadles would still be starting if we had the $$ to sign him. Franklin is getting demoted.

I think it's more of an internal look. I think the coaches see a line with Franklin at LG and Clark at RT better than a line with Franklin at RT and ???at LG. I think they see depth at OL in the draft and feel they can find a good player at one or both of those spots and that makes them comfortable with the move. Especially if they can find a kid capable of playing both RT and LT since there is no guarantee that Clady will ever recover 100% from his injury.

Having options is usually a pretty good thing

Jsteve01
04-22-2014, 08:31 AM
Here is the thing. Top Left guards get paid more than top RT. But the average salary for a Guard is lower than a tackle so if he ends up being as good as we think he could be then this is the opportunity to potentially increase his salary.

Flip side is contrary to what cugel said. Franklin graded out as pro football focus' top rated pass blocking RT in the entire league last year so even factoring the manning effect he's pretty Damn good.

You can't overstate Mo's point about having two players at new positions and thus two potential holes. If he works out that is awesome. If not then weve got a bigger problem than we had before. People take these switches on the o line for granted but stink had a story about how horrid zimmerman was one year when he was late to camp and they toyed with the idea of playing him at RT.

TXBRONC
04-22-2014, 08:39 AM

I'm not getting out this that they think he's done a terrible job at right tackle but rather and it would be easier to find a new starting right tackle. I agree I'm not keen on having two new players on the line but if anyone is capable making the to a new position it's Franklin. Besides that he had a lot of experience playing left guard at the college level.

VonDoom
04-22-2014, 09:09 AM

I don't buy THIS. Beadles was a weak link last year and was almost guaranteed to be gone, no matter who they used to replace him.

Buff
04-22-2014, 09:24 AM
I think it's more of an internal look. I think the coaches see a line with Franklin at LG and Clark at RT better than a line with Franklin at RT and ???at LG. I think they see depth at OL in the draft and feel they can find a good player at one or both of those spots and that makes them comfortable with the move. Especially if they can find a kid capable of playing both RT and LT since there is no guarantee that Clady will ever recover 100% from his injury.

Having options is usually a pretty good thing

Right - we needed to find a place for Clark and RT makes more sense than anywhere else for him. And out of necessity Franklin gets the first look at LG. I just think it's equal parts finding a spot for Clark and finding someone more effective than Franklin at RT.

CoachChaz
04-22-2014, 09:43 AM
Right - we needed to find a place for Clark and RT makes more sense than anywhere else for him. And out of necessity Franklin gets the first look at LG. I just think it's equal parts finding a spot for Clark and finding someone more effective than Franklin at RT.

It's anyone's guess. But assuming it all works out...would we prefer a line with 5 proven players starting or one with an unknown in the middle. Either way, we still draft a few OL in a few weeks.

Buff
04-22-2014, 09:46 AM
It's anyone's guess. But assuming it all works out...would we prefer a line with 5 proven players starting or one with an unknown in the middle. Either way, we still draft a few OL in a few weeks.

Franklin at guard in the NFL is a virtual unknown... But you're right - it's hard to know what the plan is until we see the draft.

GEM
04-22-2014, 09:48 AM
I didn't say that...

Look what moving DJ Williams all around the LBer line did....let's just do it with Franklin too. :laugh:

MOtorboat
04-22-2014, 09:49 AM
Look what moving DJ Williams all around the LBer line did....let's just do it with Franklin too. :laugh:

Exactly. Shanahan managed to screw up one of his better first round picks by switching him positions every single year.

CoachChaz
04-22-2014, 09:50 AM
Franklin at guard in the NFL is a virtual unknown... But you're right - it's hard to know what the plan is until we see the draft.

He's an unknown at LG, but we know he is a capable OL in general. That's why I said "assuming it all works out". In the coaches minds, they may prefer a proven RT moving to a position he played in college over an unproven rookie. Especially if one of the top guys (Yankey, Sua-Filo) isnt available at 31.

CoachChaz
04-22-2014, 09:54 AM

Exactly. Shanahan managed to screw up one of his better first round picks by switching him positions every single year.

I dont think moving a 3 year starting RT back to a position that he was one of the best at in college is anywhere close to a DJ comparison.

GEM
04-22-2014, 09:56 AM
I dont think moving a 3 year starting RT back to a position that he was one of the best at in college is anywhere close to a DJ comparison.

We won't know until we see how quickly it comes back to him. DJ was excellent at a position and ok at others. Guess we'll have to see if he grades out as an NFL guard.

CoachChaz
04-22-2014, 09:57 AM
We won't know until we see how quickly it comes back to him. DJ was excellent at a position and ok at others. Guess we'll have to see if he grades out as an NFL guard.

Which might explain why the experiment is taking place this early in the off-season. Crazy

GEM
04-22-2014, 09:58 AM
Which might explain why the experiment is taking place this early in the off-season. Crazy

Yea...when they can't even put pads on. :laugh:

I hope it works out, he's one of my favorite guys on the team.

TXBRONC
04-22-2014, 10:00 AM
Here is the thing. Top Left guards get paid more than top RT. But the average salary for a Guard is lower than a tackle so if he ends up being as good as we think he could be then this is the opportunity to potentially increase his salary.

Flip side is contrary to what cugel said. Franklin graded out as pro football focus' top rated pass blocking RT in the entire league last year so even factoring the manning effect he's pretty Damn good.

You can't overstate Mo's point about having two players at new positions and thus two potential holes. If he works out that is awesome. If not then weve got a bigger problem than we had before. People take these switches on the o line for granted but stink had a story about how horrid zimmerman was one year when he was late to camp and they toyed with the idea of playing him at RT.

IRRC Denver's ypc on the right side was significantly higher on right side of the line verses the left side. It was something 4.3 on the right verses 3.8 on the left. Clark is a more polished pass blocker but he's not as good in run blocking. As I said it atp it sure doesn't look like Franklin moving to left guard because he's terrible right tackle. Quite the contrary it's because they think Franklin immeditately upgrades the interior line on the left side.

CoachChaz
04-22-2014, 10:00 AM

I dont see it as anything that becomes an issue. Players do this pretty regularly.

GEM
04-22-2014, 10:02 AM
I dont see it as anything that becomes an issue. Players do this pretty regularly.

I know, I just don't want the juggling act they did with DJ. I think they really hindered his long term career, just don't want to see the same with Franklin.

CoachChaz
04-22-2014, 10:02 AM
IRRC Denver's ypc on the right side was significantly higher on right side of the line verses the left side. It was something 4.3 on the right verses 3.8 on the left. Clark is a more polished pass blocker but he's not as good in run blocking. As I said it atp it sure doesn't look like Franklin moving to left guard because he's terrible right tackle. Quite the contrary it's because they think Franklin immeditately upgrades the interior line on the left side.

There is no doubt that Clark is a much better pass blocker than he is a run blocker, but the thought may very well be that it's more important to have the better run block in the middle and the better pass block outside. It just sounds like the team taking the talent they have and putting together the best overall line-up with it. I dont have a problem with that.

CoachChaz
04-22-2014, 10:03 AM
I know, I just don't want the juggling act they did with DJ. I think they really hindered his long term career, just don't want to see the same with Franklin.

Agreed. But I think Franklin is either a RT or a LG. No matter the scheme, there isnt much difference when learning the two positions. LB is a whole different story.

Ravage!!!
04-22-2014, 10:03 AM
Cugal.. no one is OFFICALLY WRONG because they don't like the move!! :lol: That's officially a wrong statement. Are we supposed to come and post directly TO you if Franklin is moved back to RT?

Buff
04-22-2014, 10:04 AM

I think it is mostly just a case of trying to maximize our existing assets. The team supposedly likes Painter's potential at tackle as well. So there is a logjam of tackles and a hole at guard.

But I think it's at least worth noting that the team decided to make the move after Franklin got abused in the Super Bowl.

TXBRONC
04-22-2014, 10:05 AM

I'm confident Fraklin is going to be fine at left guard. He's better a athlete than some people give him credit for.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-22-2014, 10:07 AM

Me too, it's hard not to root for the Big O.

GEM
04-22-2014, 10:09 AM
Cugal.. no one is OFFICALLY WRONG because they don't like the move!! :lol: That's officially a wrong statement. Are we supposed to come and post directly TO you if Franklin is moved back to RT?

We're supposed to start a thread congratulating his incomparable football knowledge when one of the times he throws shit at a wall and it comes true. :D

Ravage!!!
04-22-2014, 10:12 AM
We're supposed to start a thread congratulating his incomparable football knowledge when one of the times he throws shit at a wall and it comes true. :D

it hasn't even really come true, yet.

The weird thing is, that he felt this was worth some "bragging" rights as if he predicted some strange anomaly.

TXBRONC
04-22-2014, 10:14 AM
I think it is mostly just a case of trying to maximize our existing assets. The team supposedly likes Painter's potential at tackle as well. So there is a logjam of tackles and a hole at guard.

But I think it's at least worth noting that the team decided to make the move after Franklin got abused in the Super Bowl.

I doubt it. Franklin graded out as one the best League last season their not moving him because or Painter's potential or one freaking dumb ass game.

Buff
04-22-2014, 10:17 AM
I doubt it. Franklin graded out as one the best League last season their not moving him because or Painter's potential or one freaking dumb ass game that you bringing up.

LOL @ "one freaking dumb ass game" like it was a preseason loss to the Cardinals.

If Elways felt like he was one of the best in the league then he would still be a RT.

CoachChaz
04-22-2014, 10:19 AM
I doubt it. Franklin graded out as one the best League last season their not moving him because or Painter's potential or one freaking dumb ass game.

He's arguably a top 5 RT...but when you look at the top 15-20...there really isnt much difference at the position. RT's can be replaced.

And that dumb ass game happened to be the most important game of the year.

MOtorboat
04-22-2014, 10:20 AM

True. They would need to move him to right guard, back to left guard and then finally back to right tackle for that to truly be apt.

CoachChaz
04-22-2014, 10:23 AM
True. They would need to move him to right guard, back to left guard and then finally back to right tackle for that to truly be apt.

Even then, the responsibilities wouldnt change as drastically as they do with the 3 LB spots

TXBRONC
04-22-2014, 10:51 AM
LOL @ "one freaking dumb ass game" like it was a preseason loss to the Cardinals.

If Elways felt like he was one of the best in the league then he would still be a RT.

No. But you have to be able to look at more than just one game. The left side of the line wasn't nearly as good at run blocking. Moving Franklin to the interior on the left side potentially up grades the left side. Also when is being good right tackle the same being a good left tackle. Right tackle is an easier to replace Buff. You and Cugel only bring up the Super Bowl shows m where he was so horrible through regular and the playoffs up to the Super Bowl. e graded out as one better right tackles throughout the year.

TXBRONC
04-22-2014, 11:00 AM
He's arguably a top 5 RT...but when you look at the top 15-20...there really isnt much difference at the position. RT's can be replaced.

And that dumb ass game happened to be the most important game of the year.

I know it was the Super Bowl. But Elway hasn't shown himself to be a reactionary so I doubt Franklin is being moved because of the Super Bowl.

MOtorboat
04-22-2014, 11:03 AM
I know the assumed fill in is Chris Clark, but I sure would like to see them draft a round one lineman.

CoachChaz
04-22-2014, 11:06 AM
I know the assumed fill in is Chris Clark, but I sure would like to see them draft a round one lineman.

They'll have to. Clark and Franklin will be FA's and adding them to DT and JT will make money tight. SO, adding a guy like Moses, etc would be a wise idea.

Ziggy
04-22-2014, 12:05 PM

The draft may not reveal the plan either. Elway will take the BPA, as much as everyone hates the term. This draft is filled with tackle talent at the top end, so if one falls it could change the plan. CB, Tackle, and WR are the strength of this draft. Odds are, one of those 3 positions will be there at 31.

underrated29
04-22-2014, 12:11 PM
I dont understand a lot of whats been said in this thread.

We had how many new players on the line last year? 3? and this year we are worried about two? One of which was on the line just a different position?

As far as I can tell there will not be a Rookie starting on our OL this year. We will likely draft an OL or maybe two but i doubt any of them start.

Why so little faith in Ryan Clark? He owned it at LT last year. The Harder position to play. Now he will get to move over to RT, facing a lesser talent. He should be more than fine. And this then allows us to bring our road grader in to LG and solidify the middle. And make some bigger holes for montee.

Let us not forget that we still have Vinston Painter on the team. This is a kid the team is really high on and he has off the chart measurables. His explosion number was in the low 70s I think- which is really good. He will be getting his shot at RT as soon as he gets a little more polishing.
So while I still assertain we will be drafting an OL or maybe two (brandon thomas please oh please) we are not as desperate as we seem.

The middle of the line is locked and secure. Clady should be able to do his thing on the left, and if clark plays like he did last year he will be a clady equal on the other side. That is a beefy, shield for manning. With potentially zero new players aside from clady and only two switching positions.

Let us also not forget that it is easier to switch to guard than tackle. Franklin should have zero issues with it. ZERO at all. And as pointed out- he happend to play that position in college. More experience and lessening any sort of transitional issues someone could cook up.

Buff
04-22-2014, 12:19 PM
*Chris Clark

CoachChaz
04-22-2014, 01:09 PM
I dont understand a lot of whats been said in this thread.

We had how many new players on the line last year? 3? and this year we are worried about two? One of which was on the line just a different position?

As far as I can tell there will not be a Rookie starting on our OL this year. We will likely draft an OL or maybe two but i doubt any of them start.

Why so little faith in Ryan Clark? He owned it at LT last year. The Harder position to play. Now he will get to move over to RT, facing a lesser talent. He should be more than fine. And this then allows us to bring our road grader in to LG and solidify the middle. And make some bigger holes for montee.

Let us not forget that we still have Vinston Painter on the team. This is a kid the team is really high on and he has off the chart measurables. His explosion number was in the low 70s I think- which is really good. He will be getting his shot at RT as soon as he gets a little more polishing.
So while I still assertain we will be drafting an OL or maybe two (brandon thomas please oh please) we are not as desperate as we seem.

The middle of the line is locked and secure. Clady should be able to do his thing on the left, and if clark plays like he did last year he will be a clady equal on the other side. That is a beefy, shield for manning. With potentially zero new players aside from clady and only two switching positions.

Let us also not forget that it is easier to switch to guard than tackle. Franklin should have zero issues with it. ZERO at all. And as pointed out- he happend to play that position in college. More experience and lessening any sort of transitional issues someone could cook up.

There are a lot more factors at play.

Clark is not a great run blocker and moving to RT where run blocking is more important...Clady has yet to show he is one of the very few in history that made a significant recovery from his type of injury...

Just to name a few

underrated29
04-22-2014, 01:35 PM
I think it will be that easy. Its not the move I would have made. Id rather have drafted the LG, but the FO feels this will be the best way to go about business as well.

**unless this is the biggest smokescreen ever and we do want xavier or Gabe, but that seems unlikely.

Weve got several T on the roster- clady, RYAN clark (for you nazis) justice, painter, franklin.
Two centers..manram and the other shitty guy from washington
I would like to see a C/OG drafted. I like Brandon Thomas- and since he is hurt we can get him a couple rds later.

Buff
04-22-2014, 01:40 PM
*Chris Clark

underrated29
04-22-2014, 02:11 PM
nazi

G_Money
04-22-2014, 02:31 PM
I think it will be that easy. Its not the move I would have made. Id rather have drafted the LG, but the FO feels this will be the best way to go about business as well.

I still think the Broncos are just covering their bases. They let Franklin know now so he doesn't find out on draft day when the Broncos take a RT in the first 2 rounds. If they find the perfect LG instead, then Franklin can stay where he is. But either way, they want him competing for a starting job and getting his mind right about the whole situation in the offseason.

I've said before that I wanted him to move inside and be a killer next to Clady (or Clark, if Clady is not okay). For all we know the Broncos might swing at a left tackle prospect should one drop far enough, since there's no guarantee that Clady can overcome his injury, as CoachChaz points out.

We know we want a meaner OL to take on the mean DLs at the top of the NFC. The AFC is no cake-walk, but we've proven we can hang with all those teams and beat basically every one. But the NFC is playing a different style right now, and finesse-ball alone isn't gonna cut it.

So we're letting Franklin know we might move him because we'll do whatever is necessary to make the OL a more physical front. Don't see the problem with that at all. If we can get a better RT than Franklin, then I'll LOVE having Franklin as a better road grader than Beadles on that side of the line to help either Clady OR Clark with the physicality aspect in the early going.

~G

Ziggy
04-22-2014, 02:41 PM
Not only is Franklin a better run blocker inside than Beadles was, he's a far better pass block on the inside. With Manning at QB, it's critical that the Oline can hold a pocket together for him to stand in, step up, and throw with a little zip. Beadles couldn't hold his ground with bull rushers. Franklin can. I'll take a weaker run blocking right side over a collapsing pocket with Manning at QB all day long and twice on Sundays. And as G said, don't be surprised if Denver drafts an Olineman at 31.

Buff
04-22-2014, 02:48 PM
Not only is Franklin a better run blocker inside than Beadles was, he's a far better pass block on the inside. With Manning at QB, it's critical that the Oline can hold a pocket together for him to stand in, step up, and throw with a little zip. Beadles couldn't hold his ground with bull rushers. Franklin can. I'll take a weaker run blocking right side over a collapsing pocket with Manning at QB all day long and twice on Sundays. And as G said, don't be surprised if Denver drafts an Olineman at 31.

Put down the kool-aid for one second man. :D I'm not saying you're wrong - but I am saying that you're making a lot of optimistic assumptions. Franklin has had trouble with the bull rush in the past. Now he is playing a position with different mechanics than what he's been accustomed to for his entire NFL career.

Who knows - maybe this is going to work out perfectly and Franklin should have been at OG all along. But I'm in wait-and-see mode. I think it's too early to spin this as a clear-cut upgrade for the line.

Slick
04-22-2014, 03:22 PM
Put down the kool-aid for one second man. :D I'm not saying you're wrong - but I am saying that you're making a lot of optimistic assumptions. Franklin has had trouble with the bull rush in the past. Now he is playing a position with different mechanics than what he's been accustomed to for his entire NFL career.

Who knows - maybe this is going to work out perfectly and Franklin should have been at OG all along. But I'm in wait-and-see mode. I think it's too early to spin this as a clear-cut upgrade for the line.

A lot of posters wanted this move to happen. We'll see. I'm glad we let Beadles go. I just assumed Denver would get a guard in the first two rounds and leave Orlando at RT. This definitely gives a little more flexibility on draft day.

broncohead
04-22-2014, 04:22 PM
On paper the move seems to be a good fit. Gives us flexibility on draft day. Instead of needing an OL in the first 2 rounds we can grab depth later.

TXBRONC
04-22-2014, 04:53 PM

**unless this is the biggest smokescreen ever and we do want xavier or Gabe, but that seems unlikely.

Weve got several T on the roster- clady, RYAN clark (for you nazis) justice, painter, franklin.
Two centers..manram and the other shitty guy from washington
I would like to see a C/OG drafted. I like Brandon Thomas- and since he is hurt we can get him a couple rds later.

I don't know where you get idea this easy. Clark is good pass blocker but he's not a very good run blocker. He doesn't seem suited for right tackle. Justice is purely a depth player and Painter is a complete unknown.

TXBRONC
04-22-2014, 04:56 PM
On paper the move seems to be a good fit. Gives us flexibility on draft day. Instead of needing an OL in the first 2 rounds we can grab depth later.

We already have depth at tackle Denver needs a starter. I don't think Clark is that guy.

underrated29
04-22-2014, 06:22 PM
I don't know where you get idea this easy. Clark is good pass blocker but he's not a very good run blocker. He doesn't seem suited for right tackle. Justice is purely a depth player and Painter is a complete unknown.

Last year we did this and Clark was in the hardest position on the line. This year we beef up the middle and put Clark to and easier position. So if last year was the worst it will get, then franklin solidifying the middle is a major improvement and Clark is once again playing a lesser position then the one he filled in admirably for last year.

Yep justice and painter and both play T.

Jsteve01
04-22-2014, 09:45 PM

Last year we did this and Clark was in the hardest position on the line. This year we beef up the middle and put Clark to and easier position. So if last year was the worst it will get, then franklin solidifying the middle is a major improvement and Clark is once again playing a lesser position then the one he filled in admirably for last year.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2009/10/post_13.html

This winston justice?. if you were sick with franklin after the super bowl just trot justice out vs a good pass rush. Painter is a huuuuge project. Classic triangle guy who has shown jack on the field at the college and pro level. So we are banking on Clark making the switch. A switch which asbi keep saying according to stink made zimmeman look horrid when they attempted it under shanny. I'm ok with this move if the right tackle position pans but let's quit acting like this is a slam dunk

tomjonesrocks
04-22-2014, 10:30 PM
I guess I can't get worked up about this one. I thought Franklin was OK in his role except in the SB--when he was on skates. If they move him they move him though.

TXBRONC
04-23-2014, 08:27 AM

It's not an easier position it requires a little different skill set and Clark's skill set doesn't seem to match what is needed in a right tackle. He's not a very good run blocker. On left side of line Denver averaged less than four yards per carry. Painter is a complete unknown and Justice is purely a depth player.

TXBRONC
04-23-2014, 08:33 AM
I guess I can't get worked up about this one. I thought Franklin was OK in his role except in the SB--when he was on skates. If they move him they move him though.

I'm not worked up about it. Personally I would rather see Franklin stay at right tackle but move makes sense but it does mean two new starters on the line instead of just one. It also means that chemistry could be affected.

CoachChaz
04-23-2014, 08:51 AM
I'm not worked up about it. Personally I would rather see Franklin stay at right tackle but move makes sense but it does mean two new starers on the line instead of just one. It also means that chemistry could be effected.

Either way, we need a new LG...so chemistry will be "affected" one way or another. Might as well do it with a known entity

broncofaninfla
04-23-2014, 12:46 PM
The way I see it, it's about getting the best 5 on the field. With Beadles leaving and Clarks solid play last season it makes sense to try Franklin at LG and move Clark to the right at least for a look. On paper that's a better OL than last year IMO. BUT it's early, we still have the draft and future free agent signings. For now I like the move.

Ziggy
04-23-2014, 02:57 PM

Nah, I prefer to be optimistic about this move. You can take it any way you want to. I see a man who's far better suited to play guard than tackle in the NFL being moved to that guard position. I saw our left guard get muscled back into the QB collapsing the pocket and taking away our QB's strength far too many times last season. I see a player at that same position now that isn't going to get outmuscled at the point of attack. I see our best 5 getting out on the field at the same time. Elway may draft a guard in the first an change everything back. I'll still be 'drinking the kool-aid.' Take this move any way you want to.

I watched Franklin play both guard and tackle in college. He was a far better guard and his skill set is far more suited towards it in the NFL. I thought he made a good right tackle. I think he'll make an even better guard. We have a QB that has to have a pocket to be effective. Elway knows that, and he's working on solving the problem that we had with it last season. I'm pumped about this move. Worst case scenario is that it turns out to be a temporary experiment. Best case scenario is that we have a far better Oline this season. I'll take it either way.

http://thegamewinningdrive.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/kool-aid1.jpg?w=244&h=238

WARHORSE
04-23-2014, 03:17 PM
I wanted this. Hes too stiff in the hips for tackle. That being said, he played way over his head imo, which means he cares about his craft. BIG heart.

He will crush at guard. I cant WAIT for the run game to warm up on this.

Buff
04-23-2014, 03:26 PM
Nah, I prefer to be optimistic about this move. You can take it any way you want to. I see a man who's far better suited to play guard than tackle in the NFL being moved to that guard position. I saw our left guard get muscled back into the QB collapsing the pocket and taking away our QB's strength far too many times last season. I see a player at that same position now that isn't going to get outmuscled at the point of attack. I see our best 5 getting out on the field at the same time. Elway may draft a guard in the first an change everything back. I'll still be 'drinking the kool-aid.' Take this move any way you want to.

I watched Franklin play both guard and tackle in college. He was a far better guard and his skill set is far more suited towards it in the NFL. I thought he made a good right tackle. I think he'll make an even better guard. We have a QB that has to have a pocket to be effective. Elway knows that, and he's working on solving the problem that we had with it last season. I'm pumped about this move. Worst case scenario is that it turns out to be a temporary experiment. Best case scenario is that we have a far better Oline this season. I'll take it either way.

http://thegamewinningdrive.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/kool-aid1.jpg?w=244&h=238

Right on, man. Lots of people have wanted Franklin to play guard since he got here - so it could be that this is the best way to maximize our OL talent. I'm hopeful that's the case.

The only thing I'd take issue with is that it seemed like Franklin spent a lot of time on his heels being pushed into the pocket as well. I actually think Beadles and Franklin have similar skill sets. So while I'm cautiously optimistic, I'm not ready to declare this a success just yet.