PDA

View Full Version : A few Baseball Questions

Valar Morghulis
04-17-2014, 03:26 PM
OK, i am watching the Giants and Dodgers game,

question 1 - the pitcher threw the ball lots of times and eventually the hitter just walked to first - why?

question 2 - when the hit it, do they purposely hit it in a certain place like in cricket - or do they just try to whack it?

Hopefully these questions aren't too annoying as i have a feeling i will have a lot more!

Valar Morghulis
04-17-2014, 03:28 PM
Also that was some over the shoulder catch by number 66 of the dodgers!

MOtorboat
04-17-2014, 03:29 PM
1) You get four balls and three strike. Strikes are good for the pitcher and balls are generally good for the batter. Three strikes and the batter is out. Four balls and the player gets a "base on balls" or a walk.

2) Question 2 is a little more tricky.

MOtorboat
04-17-2014, 03:34 PM
I don't know the rules of cricket so I can't help you there.

There are lots of different types of hitters. There are "pull" hitters who are, generally trying to pull the ball to the side they are hitting from, and are generally power hitters trying to hit it out of the park for a home run.

Then there are slap hitters, who purposely hit it on the ground and either try to get to first base before the fielders can get the ball there or try to get it in between the infielders and into the outfield.

There are also guys who try to hit it to the opposite field from where they are standing in the batters box. Those guys are generally the hitters who have the highest average. These guys also generally like to let the placement of the pitch dictate where they want to hit it to. If it's inside, they may try to pull it. If it's outside they try to hit it the other way.

The best hitters in baseball can hit it anywhere, i.e., Mike Trout or Miguel Cabrera.

Hope that helps.

chazoe60
04-17-2014, 03:43 PM
The batter is allowed 3 strikes before he is out and if the pitcher throws four balls then the batter gets to go to first base.
Strikes- pitches in the strike zone or any pitch that the batter swings at and misses or hits foul(out of bounds). The first two pitches that the batters hits foul are counted as strikes, any foul ball after that is basically a do-over it does not count as anything.

Balls- are pitches that are out of the strike zone and not swung at by the batter.

As far as control of where the batter hits the ball it is much more complicated than that. MLB hitters are the best in the world and even they have a difficult time directing their hits. So much of it depends on pitch location and swing timing.

In other words if you're asking if they put a target on the field and asked a MLB hitter to hit it while an MLB pitcher pitched to him, his success rate would he extremely low, if you asked him to hit to one side of the field or the other his success rate would he higher. If you asked for pop-ups, line drives, and grounders he would some success but not a ton. This is why I believe the hardest thing in all of sports is to hit a Major League Pitch. The more control over that kind of thing a batter has the more special he is as a batter. Keep in mind even the best MLB hitters only get a hit 3 out of 10 times.

Sorry for the shitty answer. Coach could probably explain the hitting thing better.

Valar Morghulis
04-17-2014, 03:43 PM
1) You get four balls and three strike. Strikes are good for the pitcher and balls are generally good for the batter. Three strikes and the batter is out. Four balls and the player gets a "base on balls" or a walk.

2) Question 2 is a little more tricky.

So the most pitches a batter can face is 6? 3 balls and 3 strikes? Is that right?

chazoe60
04-17-2014, 03:46 PM
So the most pitches a batter can face is 6? 3 balls and 3 strikes? Is that right?
No because he can hit a theoretically infinite amount of foul balls

Valar Morghulis
04-17-2014, 04:05 PM
OK - so a foul ball is different to a "ball" that Mo talked about?

Or is it the same, but if it is hit, then it does not count towards the 4 before he gets a walk?

MOtorboat
04-17-2014, 04:22 PM
OK - so a foul ball is different to a "ball" that Mo talked about?

Or is it the same, but if it is hit, then it does not count towards the 4 before he gets a walk?

A "foul ball" is when the batter hits the ball but it doesn't go into the field of play (between first and third, inside the white lines). It counts as a strike for the first two strikes, but you cannot strikeout on a foul ball, therefore, you could theoretically hit an infinite amount and not be out. However fielders can catch foul balls for outs.

Valar Morghulis
04-17-2014, 04:26 PM
Got it! Thanks.

weazel
04-17-2014, 04:32 PM
I think mostly though, Mo is just trying "whack it".

MOtorboat
04-17-2014, 04:43 PM
I think mostly though, Mo is just trying "whack it".

I'm pretty good at that.

CoachChaz
04-17-2014, 07:57 PM
Watch video of Tony Gwynn hitting if you want to see someone put it wherever they want to. For a guy hacking away...The list is endless. José Canseco would be a good example

spikerman
04-17-2014, 08:30 PM
A "foul ball" is when the batter hits the ball but it doesn't go into the field of play (between first and third, inside the white lines). It counts as a strike for the first two strikes, but you cannot strikeout on a foul ball, therefore, you could theoretically hit an infinite amount and not be out. However fielders can catch foul balls for outs.

Dave, to confuse you even more, there is one instance where a batter can "strike out" on a foul ball. If he bunts it foul with two strikes then that counts as the third strike and he is out.

MOtorboat
04-17-2014, 10:16 PM
Dave, to confuse you even more, there is one instance where a batter can "strike out" on a foul ball. If he bunts it foul with two strikes then that counts as the third strike and he is out.

Two, actually.

A foul tip on the third strike, caught by the catcher is also a strikeout.

chazoe60
04-17-2014, 11:47 PM
Two, actually.

And don't forget that it's also possible to strike out and still make it to first base.

Valar Morghulis
04-18-2014, 02:07 AM
Two, actually.

And don't forget that it's also possible to strike out and still make it to first base.

How does that occur?

MOtorboat
04-18-2014, 02:14 AM
How does that occur?

If you swing at a pitch and it constitutes strike three, but the catcher drops the ball, you're allowed to try to run to first base in certain situations - if no one is on that base, or if there is two outs. The defensive team can pick up the ball and throw you out, as if it is a ground ball, however.

Valar Morghulis
04-18-2014, 02:31 AM
This is going to take some time for me to understand all these rules!

Thanks!

MOtorboat
04-18-2014, 02:33 AM

Thanks!

I was trying not to confuse you. Stick to the basic balls-strikes count. Three is strikeout, four is walk. Then branch out from there.

OB
04-18-2014, 03:49 AM
Dave - if you really want to be confused try scoring a game Does anyone even do that anymore

Valar Morghulis
04-18-2014, 05:14 AM
I was trying not to confuse you. Stick to the basic balls-strikes count. Three is strikeout, four is walk. Then branch out from there.

Sounds like a plan - so in summary my baseball knowledge is as follows

3 strikes - out
4 balls - walk
A ball or a strike is declared by the umpire
2 strikes and a foul ball via a bunt is also out
3 strikes but a drop by the catcher could lead to the hitter running to first

Caught in the outfield - Out
Hitter can have as many foul balls as he likes (less the bunt on strike 3)
Ball gets caught at base while runner is on the move - out

OK - if that is correct, that will do me for today - next set of questions will come during my next game (i am away camping tonight so you all have a night off from helping me out!)

Cheers guys.

chazoe60
04-18-2014, 08:13 AM
One other relatively simple but very important rule to remember is the difference between force outs and tag outs.

The batter upon hitting the ball has to run to first, it's his only option, therefore simply possessing the ball and touching first base (typically with your foot though you can touch with your glove also) is enough for an out. This is called a "force out".

A force out also occurs when there is not an open bag behind the runner for which he can retreat. In other words if there is a second runner on the base behind the runner ie a runner going from 1st to 2nd with the batter at 1st base, then the runner can be forced out at second.

The next way to get a runner out is with a tag out. If there is an open base behind the runner for which he can retreat then the defense can not get him out by simply stepping on the plate while possessing the ball but must actually touch (tag) the runner with his glove while possessing the ball in his glove or tagging him with the ball itself while in his hand and this must be done before the runner touches an open base.

1st base is considered occupied by the batter as soon as he hits a ball into play. In other words if the batter hits it in play a runner on first must go for second until the batter is deemed out. However, if the ball is caught in the air before it touches the ground, then the batter is out and the runners can only advance after the catch. If there is a runner at 3rd and the batter hits a fly ball (a ball hit high in the air) the runner will hold at third until the catch is made and if he believes he is fast enough to make it home and the ball was hit deep enough into the outfield, he will then try to advance to home plate and score the run. This is called "tagging up".

It seems like a lot but if you watch a game and think about these rules it will start to become apparent.

Valar Morghulis
04-19-2014, 12:39 PM
Watching the Angels/Tigers game now.

I am struggling to work out what qualifies as a ball and what is a strike - also the batter seems on occasion to just know that he is getting a ball and refuses to swing.

IN cricket there is whats called "a wide" this is when the bowler bowls the ball too wide of the batsman, there is also a "no ball" for a number of reasons including a dangerous bowl - i am presuming there are similar rules in Baseball, i just can't work it out at the minute

chazoe60
04-19-2014, 12:44 PM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strike_zone

Wikipedia actually has a pretty good defenition. The thing to remember however is that strikes and balls are called by a human ump so there is an error factor. Not every ump calls things the same. It is up to the pitchers and batters to adapt to how an ump is calling balls and strikes on any particular day.

MOtorboat
04-19-2014, 12:46 PM

I am struggling to work out what qualifies as a ball and what is a strike - also the batter seems on occasion to just know that he is getting a ball and refuses to swing.

IN cricket there is whats called "a wide" this is when the bowler bowls the ball too wide of the batsman, there is also a "no ball" for a number of reasons including a dangerous bowl - i am presuming there are similar rules in Baseball, i just can't work it out at the minute

The letter of the law when it comes to a strike is that it should be between the knees and the numbers on the jersey and over the plate. The call of the umpire is subjective (it used to be REALLY subjective, but MLB has instituted a grading system based on computer triangulations).

If a player thinks a pitch is going to be a ball, it is to his advantage not to swing. That, of course, can bite a hitter in the but too, if a umpire considers the pitch a strike, but the batter thinks it's "outside the strike zone."

Like I said, I don't know cricket rules, but there's nothing requiring a player to swing at anything in baseball. If they get hit by a baseball, they get to go to first base.

Nomad
04-20-2014, 11:28 AM
Baseball is a lot more fun to play rather than watch.

Valar Morghulis
04-20-2014, 11:46 AM
Baseball is a lot more fun to play rather than watch.

Yeah, i can see that, although i am starting understand what is going on in the game - which is drastically improving my appreciation for the sport.

Nomad
04-20-2014, 01:01 PM
Yeah, i can see that, although i am starting understand what is going on in the game - which is drastically improving my appreciation for the sport.

It takes a lot of skill to be a damn good baseball player. Look at how many millions of kids play, and very few make it to the big league or even the D1 college level.

I always found the most frustrating part was to adapt to the different umpires and their strike zones.

OB
04-24-2014, 12:13 PM
:creep: Apparently pine tar on your neck is illegal :tsk::der:

BroncoNut
04-24-2014, 12:24 PM

technically speaking yes, but foul balls do not count as stirkes after the first one.

BroncoNut
04-24-2014, 12:28 PM

ok, cricket is for fags. men that dress up to play a sport like dick in the bum period. so let's get that straight (and not the way you may be thinking .. you seem to like your cricket). but yeah, a batter has a quick eye obviously. I've seen the opposite happen where the batter doesn''t swing and theball curves in over the strike zone. watch for those too. you walk after 4 balls too

BroncoNut
04-24-2014, 12:30 PM

Thanks!

you're not alone! hang in there you are doing great

Valar Morghulis
04-24-2014, 01:16 PM
I decided to settle on following the Rockies - no idea why, maybe it is just the fact they come from Denver, i tried to look out for the Blue Jays and the Rays but never had the same interest. So now that's decided - i am a Rockies fan.

Also, i am starting to pick up other bits and bobs as i go, which is definitely making the game more enjoyable. The wife is not too pleased about the ESPN subscription either, just wait till i tell her that i now get all the college football as well.

As far as Cricket goes - a game i know well! I honestly believe a game of 20/20 Cricket is played at a faster pace than a game of Baseball. The 5 day test matches on the other hand are hard to watch unless you have an interest in the team playing and are very slow.

Whilst the cricket clothing may seem pretentious (although i am not sure what knee high socks, baggy trousers and a baseball shirt is, if not the same) it is tradition. BUT, a cricket ball is like a rock, it comes at the batsman at the same speed a baseball is pitched with the added varient of the bounce, the sport when played at a high level is every bit as skillful as baseball.

Anyway, stand by for my next series of baseball questions during the Rockies/Dodgers game!

Valar Morghulis
04-24-2014, 01:18 PM
The Twins and Rays are basically playing in an empty stadium - is attendance at baseball games poor?

BroncoNut
04-24-2014, 01:19 PM
The Twins and Rays are basically playing in an empty stadium - is attendance at baseball games poor?

can be. a lot of us work during the day

OB
04-24-2014, 01:21 PM

Day games during the week usually are - unless its a big rival or they are playing for something important like standings towards the end of the year

Buff
04-24-2014, 02:36 PM

It varies city by city. Some cities have notoriously poor attendance - Tampa Bay is one of those cities. Which is too bad, because they have a really strong organization.

Jaws
04-27-2014, 03:12 AM
Good choice with the Rockies. I have a soft spot for them too.

BroncoNut
05-02-2014, 09:25 AM
I decided to settle on following the Rockies - no idea why, maybe it is just the fact they come from Denver, i tried to look out for the Blue Jays and the Rays but never had the same interest. So now that's decided - i am a Rockies fan.

Also, i am starting to pick up other bits and bobs as i go, which is definitely making the game more enjoyable. The wife is not too pleased about the ESPN subscription either, just wait till i tell her that i now get all the college football as well.

As far as Cricket goes - a game i know well! I honestly believe a game of 20/20 Cricket is played at a faster pace than a game of Baseball. The 5 day test matches on the other hand are hard to watch unless you have an interest in the team playing and are very slow.

Whilst the cricket clothing may seem pretentious (although i am not sure what knee high socks, baggy trousers and a baseball shirt is, if not the same) it is tradition. BUT, a cricket ball is like a rock, it comes at the batsman at the same speed a baseball is pitched with the added varient of the bounce, the sport when played at a high level is every bit as skillful as baseball.

Anyway, stand by for my next series of baseball questions during the Rockies/Dodgers game!

congratualtions on your declaration! my team swept the pirates in a double header last night. late 2nd game, real close, I think one extra inning

CoachChaz
05-02-2014, 10:49 AM
congratualtions on your declaration! my team swept the pirates in a double header last night. late 2nd game, real close, I think one extra inning

Weiters walk off in the bottom of the 10th. Half game behind the Yankees and we have the Twins this weekend while the Yanks get the Rays

BroncoNut
05-02-2014, 01:05 PM
Weiters walk off in the bottom of the 10th. Half game behind the Yankees and we have the Twins this weekend while the Yanks get the Rays

that's right you pull for them in the Divison, yes that's correct.

Valar Morghulis
05-02-2014, 06:24 PM
3 catches and the innnings ends - i get that.

What about strike outs? do the team just keep rotating through until they are all out - or is there a magic number that gets them all out on that?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-02-2014, 07:07 PM
3 catches and the innnings ends - i get that.

What about strike outs? do the team just keep rotating through until they are all out - or is there a magic number that gets them all out on that?

3 outs per inning. It doesn't matter if it's a ground out, a pop out, or a strike out. You just keep cycling through the batting order. Most batters will have 4 to 5 at bats per game.

Valar Morghulis
05-02-2014, 07:17 PM
and does the next innings start off from where they left off in the batting order, or can you stick your best guy in first?

Buff
05-02-2014, 07:21 PM
and does the next innings start off from where they left off in the batting order, or can you stick your best guy in first?

The batting order is determined prior to the game. You cannot bat out of turn. Typically the speedier contact hitters are at the top, the powerful hitters are in the middle, and the lesser hitters are at the bottom of the order. So the next inning starts off where they left off.

Valar Morghulis
05-02-2014, 07:24 PM
cheers guys

slim
05-02-2014, 09:19 PM

Welcome aboard. It is a meager fan experience, wrought with disappointment, but it could be worse.

Buff
05-02-2014, 09:29 PM
Welcome aboard. It is a meager fan experience, wrought with disappointment, but it could be worse.

Yeah, now we've got that party deck!

slim
05-02-2014, 09:31 PM
Yeah, now we've got that party deck!

DLR is about to implode.

Buff
05-02-2014, 09:36 PM
DLR is about to implode.

He's been pretty bad this year. The fact that they've been winning without him pitching well is kind of surprising considering he's among the highest paid players on the team.

slim
05-02-2014, 09:38 PM
He's been pretty bad this year. The fact that they've been winning without him pitching well is kind of surprising considering he's among the highest paid players on the team.

That's true.

Double play probably just save his bacon.

Valar Morghulis
08-19-2014, 12:45 PM
not been watching much lately - i know the Rockies have been pretty poor, but that is about it.

HOw far into the season are we now?

weazel
08-19-2014, 12:49 PM
about 120 games in... only 200 or so more torturous games to go

CoachChaz
08-19-2014, 01:12 PM
about 120 games in... only 200 or so more torturous games to go

Depends on your point of view

MOtorboat
08-19-2014, 01:15 PM
In the hunt in mid-August...

Valar Morghulis
08-19-2014, 01:16 PM
In the hunt in mid-August...

The Royals?

MOtorboat
08-19-2014, 01:17 PM
The Royals?

Yup. Two games up now. Coach's Orioles are also in first.

BroncoNut
08-19-2014, 01:18 PM

it starts where they left off retard

weazel
08-19-2014, 01:18 PM
Depends on your point of view

I agree, unfortunately I am a fan of the Blue Jays and the Cubs. I usually get to say "wait'll next year, about 1 month into the season.

Valar Morghulis
08-19-2014, 01:19 PM
it starts where they left off retard

LOL Are you in a trolling mood Andrew?

CoachChaz
08-19-2014, 01:25 PM
Yup. Two games up now. Coach's Orioles are also in first.

Largest lead in baseball, Now if only Davis could remember how to hit and Machado didnt have knees made of glass.

BroncoNut
08-19-2014, 01:26 PM
check this read out Dave

http://www.amazon.com/Watching-Baseball-Smarter-Professional-Semi-experts/dp/0307280322

chazoe60
08-20-2014, 08:58 AM
I'm pulling for the Angels to win it all. Go Mike Trout, he's so dreamy.