PDA

View Full Version : 50th Anniversary Team - Running Backs

MOtorboat
09-14-2009, 08:31 PM
It’s the 50th anniversary year for the eight remaining franchises that originally started in the American Football League. So, with that in mind, my Broncos Forums column this year is going to be a little more interactive, and a lot less opinionated. I want your opinion this year, as we come up with the Broncos Forums 50th Anniversary Team.

I’m not even messing with quarterback. John Elway is the man. He led this team to five Super Bowls and two rings, and he’s arguably the greatest football player to ever live. There is no debate. He’s the best quarterback the Broncos have ever had.

So, we begin with the running backs. The candidates, in alphabetical order: Mike Anderson, Otis Armstrong, Terrell Davis, Bobby Humphrey, Floyd Little, Clinton Portis and Sammy Winder.

Debate away…

Mike Anderson – Taking over for an injured Terrell Davis, the sixth-round draft choice Mike Anderson ran for 1,487 yards in 2000, coming out of nowhere with one of the best first years of any Denver running back. As Anderson, a former Marine, was asked to move back and forth from running back to fullback in his five-year career with the Broncos, he ran for 3,822 yards in his Broncos career and 4,067 yards in his NFL career, as he went on to spend two years with the Baltimore Ravens. He ran for 1,000 yards twice in his career, his first and his last years, in Denver. Anderson holds the Broncos record for most rushing yards in a game with 251 against New Orleans on Dec. 3, 2000.

Otis Armstrong – Otis Armstrong helped the Broncos to the Super Bowl for the first time in Super Bowl XXI in New Orleans. He’s also the fourth-leading rusher in Broncos history with 4,453 yards. He also scored 25 touchdowns in his eight-year career with the Broncos. In 1974, he led the league in rushing with 1,407 yards, amassing a yards per attempt average of 5.3 yards, also leading the league. In that same year he led the league with 1,812 yards from scrimmage, and was named to the Pro Bowl and the All-Pro team. He was named to the Pro Bowl twice.

Terrell Davis – The leading rusher in Broncos history with 7,607 yards, which he amassed in just seven seasons with the Broncos. He was a three-time Pro Bowler and three-time All-Pro honoree. In Super Bowl XXXII, he ran for 157 yards and three touchdowns, earning MVP honors and giving Denver its first World Championship. In 1998, he became one of just four running backs in the history of the NFL to run for over 2,000 yards, when he ran for 2,008, en route to MVP honors and AP Offensive Player of the Year honors. That year, he led a high-flying Denver team as they blitzed the league en route to back-to-back titles.

Bobby Humphrey – Humphrey launched his career with two of the best in team history. He rushed for 1,151 yards and seven touchdowns in 1989, and then ran for 1,202 yards and seven touchdowns in 1990, making the Pro Bowl for the only time. Unfortunately, injury ended his short career. However, he still is the eighth-leading rusher in team history with 2,857 yards. He also caught 100 receptions – 54 of them in 1992, as he tried to work back from injury – for 815 yards in his career.

Floyd Little – Little ran for 6,323 yards, as he helped establish Denver as a football town. A true pillar of the organization who also had 43 touchdowns during that time. He rushed for an NFL-best 1,133 yards in 1971, as he was named to the Pro Bowl. Ultimately, he was named to five Pro Bowls and was honored on All-Pro team once, in 1969. He also caught 215 passes in his nine-year career, for 2,418 yards and nine touchdowns.

Clinton Portis – Portis came out of the gate on fire, rushing for 1,508 yards in his first year and 1,591 yards in his second year, as he quickly reached the ninth-leading rushing position in team history with 3,099 yards. He also had 29 touchdowns in just those two seasons. He also caught 71 passes for 678 yards. He made the Pro Bowl in 2003. He raced to 218 yards and five touchdowns in a game in 2003 against the Chiefs. The five touchdowns are a team record. He holds the team record for yards by a rookie, 1,872, most rushing yards by a rookie, 1,508, and most yards in a game by a rookie, 246 versus Arizona on Dec. 28, 2002. Portis has gone on to rush for 9,202 yards, as he moved on to Washington.

Sammy Winder – In the 1980s, Denver fans fell in love with the Mississippi Mud Walk, the signature touchdown celebration of Madison, Miss.’s own Sammy Winder. Winder is third in rushing in team history with 5,427 yards, as he helped the Broncos to Three AFC Championships in his career. Drafted in 1982, Winder was a staple in the backfield behind John Elway, in the early years of Elway’s career. Winder ran for 1,153 yards and four touchdowns in 1984, as he was named to the Pro Bowl for the first time in his career. He would earn the honor twice.

GEM
09-14-2009, 08:53 PM
Ugh....this is tough!! I know the history of Little, loved me some Winder, but who can deny TD? Marine Mike doesn't rate up there, but he's always been a favorite of mine.

nbenallo33
09-14-2009, 08:55 PM
why is this even a question??? davis won 2 super bowls

MOtorboat
09-14-2009, 08:56 PM

Because I didn't want to decide the two most glamour positions on the field before I started this series of polls/columns...

frauschieze
09-14-2009, 09:01 PM
Oh man. This is a brutal choice.

Are there any qualifications on the choice itself? Like....is it the Forums' favorite players? The most influential? Best represents the Broncos' philosophy?

GEM
09-14-2009, 09:03 PM

Davis had a fantastic team surrounding him, where many of the others didn't have that luxury. I wouldn't say that TD wins just on SB wins. I think he is the best on the best of his own merits. I think that is why it is very worthy of a very POSITIVE conversation about the history of our franchise.

Thanks Mo, great timing, our fanbase NEEDS something like this. :D

MOtorboat
09-14-2009, 09:03 PM
Oh man. This is a brutal choice.

Are there any qualifications on the choice itself? Like....is it the Forums' favorite players? The most influential? Best represents the Broncos' philosophy?

Not defining anything. www.denverbroncos.com has asked for your individual all-time team, and I'm polling for BroncosForums' team. You vote on whatever criteria you want to. :D

MOtorboat
09-14-2009, 09:05 PM

Thank the franchise. I should have thought of this, this summer, and thank Carol for posting the article earlier tonight about Alfred Williams.

nbenallo33
09-14-2009, 09:06 PM
Davis had a fantastic team surrounding him, where many of the others didn't have that luxury. I wouldn't say that TD wins just on SB wins. I think he is the best on the best of his own merits. I think that is why it is very worthy of a very POSITIVE conversation about the history of our franchise.

he did have a great team around him but ifit wasnt for davis elway dosnt have 2 super bowl wins

GEM
09-14-2009, 09:17 PM
he did have a great team around him but ifit wasnt for davis elway dosnt have 2 super bowl wins

:lol: You don't have to convince me, I voted for TD. There were so many more reasons than just the SB's that convinced me though. :D

Denver Native (Carol)
09-14-2009, 09:42 PM
I voted for Floyd because if it were not for Floyd's efforts, there would not be the Denver Broncos. The other 43 reasons are on the following link:

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/44-reasons-to-elect-no-44/

Floyd Little’s impact on the NFL is without equal among Seniors Candidates - he literally “saved the Broncos from extinction,” according to HOFer Stan Jones. The Broncos were planning on relocating to another city in 1967 - Chicago, Birmingham, or elsewhere - before Little became the first #1 pick to ever sign with the team in 1967 (Dick Butkus, Merlin Olsen, Bob Brown, and other famous Broncos #1 picks signed with NFL teams). Floyd’s impact was felt immediately. He was instrumental in getting fans to vote for the expansion of Mile High Stadium that led to a string of sellouts that lasts today. He was named “The Franchise” for his on-field performances and tireless work in Denver communities. As Len Dawson said, “Floyd Little was the Denver Broncos for many, many years.” His efforts kept the Broncos in Denver - today one of the NFL’s marquee teams.

sneakers
09-14-2009, 10:06 PM
This one is pretty easy....TD!

CrazyHorse
09-14-2009, 10:38 PM
It's a tough call. To me it's between Davis or Little. I appreciate what both of them have done for the franchise. Without Little we may not have the Broncos right now. Without Davis we don't win 2 Super Bowls.
In terms of historic importance I'd pick Little but when it comes to talent Davis wins hands down.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-14-2009, 10:54 PM
It's a tough call. To me it's between Davis or Little. I appreciate what both of them have done for the franchise. Without Little we may not have the Broncos right now. Without Davis we don't win 2 Super Bowls.
In terms of historic importance I'd pick Little but when it comes to talent Davis wins hands down.

I wish MO would have set this up the way the Broncos did for the 50th Anniversary Team, where for some positions, more than one player would be picked, as I agree with you on this, and there will be other positions where more than one player deserves to be picked.

MOtorboat
09-14-2009, 10:57 PM
I wish MO would have set this up the way the Broncos did for the 50th Anniversary Team, where for some positions, more than one player would be picked, as I agree with you on this, and there will be other positions where more than one player deserves to be picked.

That's why I set it up the way I did...:welcome:

Fullbacks to come...

Denver Native (Carol)
09-14-2009, 11:00 PM
That's why I set it up the way I did...:welcome:

Fullbacks to come...

The problem with this is that many on here do not remember the earlier players, and therefore, will vote for the later players.

MOtorboat
09-14-2009, 11:00 PM
The problem with this is that many on here do not remember the earlier players, and therefore, will vote for the later players.

They wouldn't vote for the earlier players anyway...

Denver Native (Carol)
09-14-2009, 11:02 PM
They wouldn't vote for the earlier players anyway...

No, but there are some on here who do remember the earlier players, but not enough to make the difference. Look at the only players who have received votes so far.

Poet
09-16-2009, 09:03 AM
Carol, in this instance the guy who are getting the votes are the guys who SHOULD be getting the votes. Mo did a nice job of giving everyone the same word count and unbiased love, but Davis could very well be your second best player of all-time. He obviously was going to crush the competition.

claymore
09-16-2009, 09:18 AM
I think we could have been even better with Portis, But Davis was the one holding the torch at the time.

I vote Davis.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-16-2009, 03:01 PM
Carol, in this instance the guy who are getting the votes are the guys who SHOULD be getting the votes. Mo did a nice job of giving everyone the same word count and unbiased love, but Davis could very well be your second best player of all-time. He obviously was going to crush the competition.

My thought was just that it is natural to vote for a player you saw, rather than a player you read about.

Bronco Bible
10-09-2009, 11:45 AM
Floyd Little no contest....... I have an idea try putting Little's team around TD........would TD have approched a super bowl... only if he bought a ticket jmo.

p.s. not hating on TD if it was not for Floyd he would get my vote.