PDA

View Full Version : Which Shanahan would you rather have? 1997 version or 2007 version?

sneakers
11-30-2007, 06:25 AM
While the younger Shanny was more gutsier, there is no substitute for experience. Who would you rather have as your coach?

http://nflfreaks.com/images/Players/NFLF-Mike_Shannahan_121403.jpg1997 vs. 2007http://images.sportinglife.com/07/04/330/MikeShanahan_214468.jpg

Tned
11-30-2007, 08:10 AM
While the younger Shanny was more gutsier, there is no substitute for experience. Who would you rather have as your coach?

http://nflfreaks.com/images/Players/NFLF-Mike_Shannahan_121403.jpg1997 vs. 2007http://images.sportinglife.com/07/04/330/MikeShanahan_214468.jpg

They are the same guy, they just have different teams to work with. If this Shannahan had the 1997 team, you would see a more aggresive Shanny. Even a couple years ago with Jake at the helm, he was routinely doing 'gutsy' things, some of which backfired.

I think as Jay continues to prove he can get the job done when he 'has' to and those around him do the same, you will see Shanny become more 'gutsy'.

TXBRONC
11-30-2007, 08:19 AM
They are the same guy, they just have different teams to work with. If this Shannahan had the 1997 team, you would see a more aggresive Shanny. Even a couple years ago with Jake at the helm, he was routinely doing 'gutsy' things, some of which backfired.

I think as Jay continues to prove he can get the job done when he 'has' to and those around him do the same, you will see Shanny become more 'gutsy'.

I agree if 2007 Shanahan edition had the parts of 1997 edition you would see the same play calling from 1997.

Tned
11-30-2007, 08:46 AM
I agree if 2007 Shanahan edition had the parts of 1997 edition you would see the same play calling from 1997.

Yep, we have seen flashes. Calling a bomb on a third down play, going for a knock-out punch by throwing on 2nd and 6 when trying to run the clock out. However, we have also seen times when he runs three and out, when the team REALLY needs a first down to run the clock out. However, in many cases, that is because the offense just had a number of rough series, maybe Jay missed on a number of throws, or was nearly picked, so I think Shanny then goes conservative for a bit to try and not have the offense compound errors.

The biggest thing Shanny has always done, and continues to do, is have plays called (whether he is doing it or his OC) that are contrarian. Meaning, he has no problem calling a run play on 3rd and 8, because he looks at it as if they defense is in a mode to stop a 'sure' passing play, then you have a good chance of catching them by surprise on a running play. Same with passing on 3rd and 1.

He has always relied heavily on that 'opposite of what they are thinking' approach, including doing things like going for a bomb pass on 3rd and 1, but the difference is that this offense is young and/or new and still learning, and they don't always execute, so what in 1997 would have been seen as 'man, that was a gutsy call that payed off', in 2007 often turns into, 'geez, he gave up a down running there' or 'it was 3rd and 1, why not just run it up the middle and get a first down, rather than making a low-percentage throw.'

underrated29
11-30-2007, 09:41 AM
i will take this shanny now. He drafts better.

omac
11-30-2007, 12:05 PM
Yep, we have seen flashes. Calling a bomb on a third down play, going for a knock-out punch by throwing on 2nd and 6 when trying to run the clock out. However, we have also seen times when he runs three and out, when the team REALLY needs a first down to run the clock out. However, in many cases, that is because the offense just had a number of rough series, maybe Jay missed on a number of throws, or was nearly picked, so I think Shanny then goes conservative for a bit to try and not have the offense compound errors.

The biggest thing Shanny has always done, and continues to do, is have plays called (whether he is doing it or his OC) that are contrarian. Meaning, he has no problem calling a run play on 3rd and 8, because he looks at it as if they defense is in a mode to stop a 'sure' passing play, then you have a good chance of catching them by surprise on a running play. Same with passing on 3rd and 1.

He has always relied heavily on that 'opposite of what they are thinking' approach, including doing things like going for a bomb pass on 3rd and 1, but the difference is that this offense is young and/or new and still learning, and they don't always execute, so what in 1997 would have been seen as 'man, that was a gutsy call that payed off', in 2007 often turns into, 'geez, he gave up a down running there' or 'it was 3rd and 1, why not just run it up the middle and get a first down, rather than making a low-percentage throw.'

Very good points! :salute:

Just to add, Shanny had much more confidence in the 1997 team's defense; that's a huge factor when taking risks.

BaiLeY324
11-30-2007, 12:15 PM
Which one won championships?

Yup, that's the one I want.

Medford Bronco
11-30-2007, 12:39 PM
Very good points! :salute:

Just to add, Shanny had much more confidence in the 1997 team's defense; that's a huge factor when taking risks.

agreed, a good defense and better special teams
make the coach seem like a better coach

Lonestar
11-30-2007, 03:40 PM
i will take this shanny now. He drafts better.

This is a great point!!

In spite of his mastermind coaching, all of those poor drafts have cost this team wins over the years..

Medford Bronco
12-03-2007, 01:16 AM
I would take the Shanny that does not lose to Oakland :argh:

Simple Jaded
12-03-2007, 01:36 AM
I'll take the Shanahan of 2008.

Trust me......

Lonestar
12-03-2007, 01:37 AM
I'll take the Shanahan of 2008.

Trust me......

your correct in this***

Medford Bronco
12-03-2007, 01:41 AM
your correct in this***

he must be his agent :laugh: JK

Simple Jaded
12-03-2007, 01:45 AM
he must be his agent :laugh: JK

No!!....Publicist...:D...

lex
12-03-2007, 01:45 AM
I would take the Shanny that does not lose to Oakland :argh:

Actually, when we played at Oakland in 1997, I believe that was our first loss that year and I distinctly remember Napolean Kaufman having a ridiculous number of yards. I think he had 2 runs of over 70 yards. It was bad.

lex
12-03-2007, 01:48 AM

Very good post. I agree with this absolutely and completely. I dont think Shanahan trusts our OLine, nor should he. The 1997 Oline was a lot better.

Medford Bronco
12-03-2007, 01:50 AM
Actually, when we played at Oakland in 1997, I believe that was our first loss that year and I distinctly remember Napolean Kaufman having a ridiculous number of yards. I think he had 2 runs of over 70 yards. It was bad.

Lex it was for effect we won the Super Bowl in 97
i know we lost at Oak in 97 when Joe Bugel did the mile high salute
to mock Denver after the game. We lost 28-25 I remember disctinctly