PDA

View Full Version : How to Protect Yourself Against the Heartbleed Bug

Denver Native (Carol)
04-10-2014, 09:59 PM
It’s bad, friends. The Heartbleed Bug is bad. That little lock icon that you see up in your browser’s address bar when you’re logging into a site or entering your credit card number? Turns out it’s not all that great at protecting your private information after all.

Here’s what’s happening and what you can do about it.

What’s going on? Should I panic? I should panic, right?!

rest - http://time.com/55337/how-to-protect-yourself-against-the-heartbleed-bug/\

I heard about this on the news tonight. If correct, they said this has been going on for about two years.

Shazam!
04-11-2014, 09:06 PM
What is this?

ShaneFalco
04-11-2014, 09:28 PM
Not much you can do about it, besides wait for websites to fix the vulnerability, then to change your passwords after.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-11-2014, 09:44 PM
What is this?

A new security bug means that people all across the Web are vulnerable to having their passwords and other sensitive data stolen. Here's what consumers can do to protect themselves.

http://www.cnet.com/news/how-to-protect-yourself-from-the-heartbleed-bug/

WTE
04-11-2014, 09:53 PM
I don't even trust the link Carol provided and all the suggestions contained within. I trust nobody.

I only keep one checking acct. and one credit card and check their balances at least once a day to make sure nobody is screwing with me.

ShaneFalco
04-11-2014, 11:39 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/nsa-denies-exploiting-heartbleed-vulnerability-213648811.htmlJust like Stuxnet.

ShaneFalco
04-12-2014, 03:42 AM
Nsa knew about this and exploited it for 2 years. I'm sure there will be people rushing to defend the prized spy state program soon tho.....

Shazam!
04-12-2014, 07:54 AM
This is the first time Ive heard if this.

I had trouble recently with this new Windows Watchdog BS which is a big scam.

I accidentally installed on one of my work PCs. A window opens that looks like Microsoft Security Essentials, saying your unit is at risk, please run a scan. Then it installs and blocks EVERYTHING, and the only way to free it is to 'buy the full version' for $80!

So, you're getting a big blackmail attempt!

I was able to get rid of it by safe mode restore, but im sure a lot of people paid them out of fear of damage to their PC.

OrangeHoof
04-12-2014, 09:08 AM
I have two credit cards (no debit cards that automatically take out of my checking account) and only one do I use on the internet. This way, if that card is ever compromised, I have a backup card I can still use for non-web purchases and I can catch the fraud before it touches my bank accounts. Now if either of the two banks get hacked, I'm screwed but then its on the bank, not on me.

elsid13
04-12-2014, 12:18 PM
There is nothing you can do because this server side issue. You have to wait till website install the patch and then change your password/pin/etc. The worse part there are number of routers and other network devices that need to be upgrade that small business might struggle with fixing. The good news it very hard bug to exploit and you have to have some serious resource behind you to take advantage of it.