PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Mailbag: Denver's QB of the future? Peyton Manning (seriously)

Denver Native (Carol)
04-09-2014, 11:11 AM
Do you think Brock Osweiler is the future QB of the Denver Broncos? And if so, have the Broncos built an offense around him as well?
-- Jeremy R., Florida

Jeremy - Peyton Manning is the Broncos' quarterback of the future. Seriously. Manning may be 38 years old, but he has three years left on his contract. Osweiler may be only 23, but he only has two years left on his contract.

Osweiler will depart for free agency before Manning does.

For Osweiler to become the Broncos' quarterback, something significant has to happen to Manning whether it be injury, diminished performance or retirement.

more of Klis answer to above, plus more good questions/answers
http://www.denverpost.com/broncosmailbag/ci_25521770/broncos-mailbag-denver-qb-future-peyton-manning-brock-osweiler

Northman
04-09-2014, 11:57 AM
I will actually take the bet. Not so much that Oz will still be here in two years but i dont think Peyton finishes out his contract, in fact i think he calls it quits after this upcoming. Just a feeling.

Shazam!
04-09-2014, 12:07 PM
Broncos will come crashing down to average when Manning is done here, no matter who is the QB. I am mentally prepared to returning to mediocrity when he goes. It's the sad truth IMO.

CoachChaz
04-09-2014, 12:11 PM
The bad part is that if we keep all of our young talent, we wont be contenders, but also wont suck bad enough to get a better QB prospect via the draft. So...we either need to pray Oz is the answer or that we get lucky in the draft

Dapper Dan
04-09-2014, 12:12 PM
Maybe Aaron Rodgers will become a free agent and we can sign him.

artie_dale
04-09-2014, 12:14 PM
Broncos will come crashing down to average when Manning is done here, no matter who is the QB. I am mentally prepared to returning to mediocrity when he goes. It's the sad truth IMO.

Manning is who made our offensive line look so spectacular on paper, no the Oline itself. Unless that Oline gets good, Brock won't stand a chance if he's given the reigns.

I do believe however, that Peyton will be here at least through 2015. That last year is what will be up for debate. Well, baring serious injury of course.

VonDoom
04-09-2014, 01:37 PM
I will actually take the bet. Not so much that Oz will still be here in two years but i dont think Peyton finishes out his contract, in fact i think he calls it quits after this upcoming. Just a feeling.

I actually have the same feeling, with nothing to base it on. I think this is it for Peyton, win or lose. I think Elway is trying to set us up for the future and hopefully there will be enough talent around Oz that we could still be competitive and see if he's the answer.

Valar Morghulis
04-09-2014, 03:46 PM
I think as long as PFM feels healthy and thinks we will be competitive he will stay (unless he wins the lombardi - in that case he will bow out)

I hope so anyway, i want to get my moneys worth out of my #18 merchandise!

Simple Jaded
04-09-2014, 11:01 PM
I have it on great authority that Manning will only last a couple years before his head literally falls off. Any day now.

TXBRONC
04-10-2014, 06:27 AM
I have it on great authority that Manning will only last a couple years before his head literally falls off. Any day now.

It sounds like you've been talking with WTE.

Dzone
04-10-2014, 09:51 AM
Hopefully the tradition of winning continues after Manning. Its Bronco Football. If we can go 6-0 with Orton and win a playoff game with Tebow, anything can happen.

silkamilkamonico
04-10-2014, 10:34 AM
I don't buy the stupid article.

Why would Oz depart for free agency when a 41 year old Manning has 1 year left on his contract? There would not be a better situation for Oz to become a starting QB of a team in the NFL then in Denver at that point.

artie_dale
04-10-2014, 10:47 AM
I don't think the article was really implying anything outside of what is in black & white. Easy way to answer the question, imo.

Simple Jaded
04-10-2014, 08:42 PM
It sounds like you've been talking with WTE.

And every butthurt Tebow fan.

Cugel
04-11-2014, 08:44 PM
Maybe Aaron Rodgers will become a free agent and we can sign him.

Yup! And maybe Jessica Alba will get divorced and call me up to invite me out to LA for a naughty weekend. :laugh:

Cugel
04-11-2014, 08:45 PM
And every butthurt Tebow fan.

Ah, the Tebow fans fighting an endless rearguard action against reality: "the Lost Cause."

If only the Broncos had stuck with Tebow they would have won the SB by now! And the fact that no NFL team wants their hero just proves there's a conspiracy against Christians!

Cugel
04-11-2014, 08:48 PM
I don't buy the stupid article.

Why would Oz depart for free agency when a 41 year old Manning has 1 year left on his contract? There would not be a better situation for Oz to become a starting QB of a team in the NFL then in Denver at that point.

He'll depart because the Broncos will let him go. By then it will be obvious even to Elway that Osweiler will never be a SB caliber QB. So, what point is there in keeping him?

You either have a SB caliber QB or you do not. If not then you can easily find veteran placeholder QBs to suck for a year or two while you find your next franchise QB in the draft.

And you can probably do what the Jets did in moving up to get Mark Sanchez. Give up the mint. But, there's no other alternative.

And yes, you're still probably going to wind up with a Mark Sanchez and not an Aaron Rogers.

At least there's no other alternative unless you're just insanely lucky like the Broncos getting Manning or New Orleans having Drew Brees become available as a FA.

BroncoWave
04-11-2014, 09:52 PM
Hopefully the tradition of winning continues after Manning. Its Bronco Football. If we can go 6-0 with Orton and win a playoff game with Tebow, anything can happen.

And our team is run by John F. Elway. We might see a dip after Manning leaves, but in the long run we'll be just fine.

VonDoom
04-11-2014, 10:08 PM
He'll depart because the Broncos will let him go. By then it will be obvious even to Elway that Osweiler will never be a SB caliber QB. So, what point is there in keeping him?

What have you seen from Oz so far to say that he is or isn't the answer for the Broncos?

Jsteve01
04-11-2014, 10:46 PM

What have you seen from Oz so far to say that he is or isn't the answer for the Broncos?lol nothing but thats cugel for you

Northman
04-12-2014, 08:28 AM

And this is based on what Zambini?

OrangeHoof
04-12-2014, 08:48 AM
There would not be a better situation for Oz to become a starting QB of a team in the NFL then in Denver at that point.

There would not be a worse situation for him. First, he'll be replacing and inevitably compared against Peyton Manning. No pressure there, right? Secondly, he's going to have several years of rust to shake off after being a backup for so long. Finally, fans will still be expecting at least 10 wins and a playoff berth.

All you have to do is ask yourself how well it went for Brian Griese replacing Elway in Denver. Griese at least had a famous father to help him deal with the fame and demands away from work.

Ozzie Ostrich will have better success elsewhere than he will here. Being the follow-up act to an NFL legend is really tough and the only two guys I can think of that pulled it off well were Steve Young and Aaron Rodgers - both first-round talents where Ozzie is not.

Northman
04-12-2014, 08:57 AM
Finally, fans will still be expecting at least 10 wins and a playoff berth.

That would be expected from any QB to play in Denver. Its just how it is here.

All you have to do is ask yourself how well it went for Brian Griese replacing Elway in Denver.

Plummer faced the same scrutiny and he had more experience than Griese when he came to Denver. Again, every QB who will play in Denver will have to play from the shadow of Elway and Manning.

Ozzie Ostrich will have better success elsewhere than he will here.

Thanks Miss Cleo.

Valar Morghulis
04-12-2014, 09:06 AM
The thing about Brock is he is so young and was so inexperienced when he was drafted - it is completely unfair to assess the round he was drafted in as related to his talent. I think there are QB's in this draft that Brock is still younger than - that means he has had nothing but a pro offence to learn and a master to learn from. He has a strong arm and Elway liked him - when all this is added up, i am prepared to give him a chance!!!

I remember watching the Bowl Game against Boise when Brock was put in the shade by Kellen Moore, i think now, i would take Brock over Moore these days - any time.

tomjonesrocks
04-12-2014, 12:43 PM
I wish I saw what Elway sees in Oz. I obviously trust his judgement more than mine, but I am not excited by what we've seen in the scant action he's had.

He had an interesting scouting report with the mobility and arm strength, but a QB of his height has never been successful and that was a costly draft pick to burn there.

Just kind of on the fence with this one and right now wish Denver had drafted a position of need there instead.

Simple Jaded
04-12-2014, 01:08 PM
QB was a position of need back then, Jonesy, people forget that or just flat out ignore it. There were huge question marks surrounding Manning and he was given what basically amounted to a 1-year-prove-it contract. Also, there were very few people at the time who thought Manning would play out his full 5-year contract, Manning and the Broncos were among those that knew the chances.

When Elway took over the Broncos they had the single worst QB situation in the entire league, they had nothing, no starters and no backups. QB was definitely a need, the Broncos filled that need AND built a SB contender at the same time, that's a job well done.

BroncoJoe
04-13-2014, 09:30 AM
I think it's kind of silly to think Oz will leave in free agency. Who would pay him more money than the Broncos? He hasn't played at all. Add in the fact he's been here his whole professional career, knows the system, coaches and players, there is no better place for him and there won't be gobs of money waiting for him with another team.

BroncoWave
04-13-2014, 09:59 AM
I think it's kind of silly to think Oz will leave in free agency. Who would pay him more money than the Broncos? He hasn't played at all. Add in the fact he's been here his whole professional career, knows the system, coaches and players, there is no better place for him and there won't be gobs of money waiting for him with another team.

It's not entirely uncommon for unproven backups to leave and sign somewhere else before getting a chance to play for the team that drafted them. Matt Schaub and Matt Flynn come to mind. Granted, they were sitting behind younger guys as opposed to Manning, but it does happen.

Northman
04-13-2014, 10:53 AM
It's not entirely uncommon for unproven backups to leave and sign somewhere else before getting a chance to play for the team that drafted them. Matt Schaub and Matt Flynn come to mind. Granted, they were sitting behind younger guys as opposed to Manning, but it does happen.

They actually did start a couple of games and came in when the starters were injured. Ive never seen a QB drafted as high as the 2nd round and not actually been given a chance to start a few games to see what they have before cutting them loose. Both Houston and Seattle took those QB's because they saw what little film from them and thought they had a possibility of being starting material. It wasnt like neither of those guys saw any playing time before being cut loose or allowed to walk.

BroncoWave
04-13-2014, 11:04 AM
They actually did start a couple of games and came in when the starters were injured. Ive never seen a QB drafted as high as the 2nd round and not actually been given a chance to start a few games to see what they have before cutting them loose. Both Houston and Seattle took those QB's because they saw what little film from them and thought they had a possibility of being starting material. It wasnt like neither of those guys saw any playing time before being cut loose or allowed to walk.

For all we know Manning could go down for a game or 2 and Brock could shine. I'm not saying Brock will leave, but I'm not saying it's impossible either.

Northman
04-13-2014, 11:20 AM
I really dont think we will see him leave without at least seeing him in some kind of action one way or the other. Just wouldnt make a lot of sense and the FO here doesnt really strike me as pulling a McDaniels.

BroncoWave
04-13-2014, 11:31 AM
I really dont think we will see him leave without at least seeing him in some kind of action one way or the other. Just wouldnt make a lot of sense and the FO here doesnt really strike me as pulling a McDaniels.

It wouldn't really be "pulling a McDaniels" if Brock decides he wants to test the market instead of signing an extension. He's free to do that and there is nothing we could do about it.

Northman
04-13-2014, 12:04 PM
It wouldn't really be "pulling a McDaniels" if Brock decides he wants to test the market instead of signing an extension. He's free to do that and there is nothing we could do about it.

Wave...come on man. What market is Brock going to test? He doesnt even have a resume yet. Do you really believe some team would offer him more money based on nothing? The only way i could see Brock checking out of Denver is if Elway and company draft a 1st round QB in the next two years.

MOtorboat
04-13-2014, 12:26 PM
Wave...come on man. What market is Brock going to test? He doesnt even have a resume yet. Do you really believe some team would offer him more money based on nothing? The only way i could see Brock checking out of Denver is if Elway and company draft a 1st round QB in the next two years.

Matt Flynn says hello.

BroncoWave
04-13-2014, 12:28 PM

Like I said, what if Manning goes down for a few games and Brock lights it up during them? It just took Matt Flynn one monster game to get a huge deal from another team. This isn't an unprecedented thing.

Northman
04-13-2014, 12:38 PM
Matt Flynn says hello.

I already addressed that. Flynn at least played and started some games. Try harder.

Northman
04-13-2014, 12:39 PM
Like I said, what if Manning goes down for a few games and Brock lights it up during them? It just took Matt Flynn one monster game to get a huge deal from another team. This isn't an unprecedented thing.

Yea, but thats not what is being insinuated here. What was being said was that Brock would either leave or be dumped without even playing/starting a single game.

BroncoWave
04-13-2014, 12:43 PM
Yea, but thats not what is being insinuated here. What was being said was that Brock would either leave or be dumped without even playing/starting a single game.

Except that's not what I'm saying. I'm giving a scenario in which it would be possible for Brock to bolt Denver before Manning leaves.

MOtorboat
04-13-2014, 12:44 PM
I already addressed that. Flynn at least played and started some games. Try harder.

He started two games when he signed a $60 million contract.

And you never have to look further than the draft. Every one of those first round quarterbacks signs big contracts without ever doing anything. I don't see why Osweiler wouldn't have contract offers if he decided to go that route.

Someone, somewhere would pay for both Osweiler and Mallett.

Valar Morghulis
04-13-2014, 12:48 PM
I think Brock knows that presently his best chance to succeed is to study hard under Manning, hopefully impress the coaches and Elway (keep his fingers crossed no more HOF QBs become free agents) and stay with Denver. I think there will be teams prepared to take a chance on Brock, i just dont see any drive on his part to leave (unless they are talking silly money which i doubt they would be as he is so unproven)

Northman
04-13-2014, 12:49 PM
Except that's not what I'm saying. I'm giving a scenario in which it would be possible for Brock to bolt Denver before Manning leaves.

I wasnt talking about your scenario, i was talking about the original scenario. Of course your scenario makes sense that wasnt what was being discussed.

Northman
04-13-2014, 12:50 PM
He started two games when he signed a $60 million contract.

And you never have to look further than the draft. Every one of those first round quarterbacks signs big contracts without ever doing anything. I don't see why Osweiler wouldn't have contract offers if he decided to go that route.

Someone, somewhere would pay for both Osweiler and Mallett.

Its different with first round QB's, always has been . No way someone is going to throw 60 mil at Brock or Ryan based off sitting on the bench. No way in hell.

Az Snake
04-13-2014, 07:28 PM
I'd like to see some serious competition between Brock and Zac Dysert during spring training, training camp and pre-season.

I saw Osweiler play at ASU but maybe there was more to see ?
Elway may know more about Os than we do, Mr. Elway spent a lot of time on campus here watching him.
Os was Mr. Elway's son's roommate while Jack was here at ASU.
Os was drafted ahead of Russel Wilson, so...... ?

Zac broke all of Big Ben's school career passing attempts, completions, and yardage records at Miami (OH).

While neither QB can claim a stellar college career, Os had a better team to work with and didn't fare well.

All I'm saying is give Zac a chance to compete for back-up QB, perhaps he may surprise some of us.
Zac was a late round draft pick but so was Tom Brady.

Simple Jaded
04-13-2014, 08:13 PM
If Zac Dysert ever becomes a pleasant surprise you trade his ass for whatever you can get.

Northman
04-14-2014, 04:41 AM
While neither QB can claim a stellar college career, Os had a better team to work with and didn't fare well.

Oz also faced better competition than Zac.

RebelRocker
04-14-2014, 07:49 PM

I didn't even read your post, but I'm going to like it because of your avatar. HAIL RAGNAR!!!