PDA

View Full Version : Chris Johnson pursued by under-the-radar team?

Denver Native (Carol)
04-07-2014, 08:22 PM
from article:

Johnson passed his exit physical following January surgery to repair a torn meniscus. He's healthy and in line for a reasonable contract in a soft market for running backs.

"It certainly does open the door up for an under-the-radar team to make a run at him," Rapoport explained on NFL Network, "since we know he's not going to cost a ton."

In our AFC West Roster Reset, we floated the idea of the Denver Broncos as that under-the-radar club.

full article - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000339901/article/chris-johnson-pursued-by-undertheradar-team

Dapper Dan
04-07-2014, 08:27 PM
Interesting.

ShaneFalco
04-07-2014, 08:30 PM
i could see it being Denver. He would do well with a defense expecting pass.

Shazam!
04-07-2014, 08:35 PM
Wow wow

Dapper Dan
04-07-2014, 08:37 PM
As long as he's cheap and isn't a distraction. I don't think he's had any issues so far, I just think he might be lazy.

GEM
04-07-2014, 08:57 PM
Twitch!! At least thats what my dad and I call him.

Dzone
04-07-2014, 09:19 PM
Wow, that would be amazing. Imagine that coming out of the backfield...damn....If he still has some gas left in the tank, we might as well use it up

Denver Native (Carol)
04-07-2014, 09:21 PM
from article:

• Denver Broncos: Clearly, the Broncos are all-in for this season. So why not add a potential game-breaker at a relatively thin position? The franchise prepared for Knowshon Moreno’s exit by drafting Montee Ball last year, and he’ll bump up to the top RB spot for 2014.

But while the stable is not exactly bare behind Ball, with Ronnie Hillman and C.J. Anderson on the roster, Johnson would provide a boost. The heavy attention on Peyton Manning and the passing game could provide him the opposite of his situation in Tennessee, where teams stacked the box in hopes of forcing Jake Locker to the air. A spread offense that allows Johnson to work sideline-to-sideline might be just the ticket to revive his game.

full article - http://nfl.si.com/2014/04/04/2014-nfl-free-agency-possible-landing-spots-for-running-back-chris-johnson/

Simple Jaded
04-07-2014, 10:23 PM
Bring it! He would either do really well or we can watch the OL punch him a new mudhole when he throws them under the bus.

DenBronx
04-07-2014, 11:35 PM
I was in Morenos corner to stay a Bronco. Well that clearly didnt happen.

But I must say....this is an upgrade. Cut Tamme or Dreesen and make it happen!

Jsteve01
04-07-2014, 11:41 PM
Cut tamme I like him but with Julius on the roster he's redundant. Dreesen is the much better all around player of the two.

Dapper Dan
04-07-2014, 11:44 PM
I prefer Tamme over Dreesen.

CrazyHorse
04-07-2014, 11:53 PM
Cut both Tamme and Dreessen and draft a TE.

CoachChaz
04-08-2014, 09:57 AM
Cutting them both would seem to be the only way to afford CJ. While I wouldnt have a problem with that, we would definitely have to find another TE to help out. Green doesnt seem like much of an answer and despite my liking for Ted Bolser, I dont know how much faith I'd have in a late round pick.

Ravage!!!
04-08-2014, 10:03 AM
Tamme was sure valuable when JT missed a game or so. Let's not be so apt to lose a guy that can provide some serious help if an injury prone TE happens to go down again.

CJ's stats are better than I thought over the last few years. Ranking somewhere around 14th for ypr. He isn't CJ2k anymore, but he would round off the running game.

Ravage!!!
04-08-2014, 10:03 AM
Twitch!! At least thats what my dad and I call him.

You guys watch "SYTYCD?"

Cugel
04-08-2014, 11:25 AM
I think the Broncos would love to sign him, he'd be a huge pickup since he's a runner with game-breaking ability. And he obviously won't get anything like the $8 million he got last season. The market for RBs is just soft. But, can the Broncos afford him and still sign their draft picks and have some spare cash left over to pick up a couple of veteran FAs during training camp or the pre-season?

I doubt Chris Johnson finds a home in Denver. I don't think the Broncos organization thinks they have enough money left to sign him. They might get more impact for their remaining cash if they waited to pick up an OL or two who get cut this summer, and/or a veteran RB who isn't the same high profile as Chris Johnson.

That said, I would love to see it if they could pull it off. It would add a big dimension to the Broncos offense to add another explosive play-maker. And a more powerful running game would take some pressure off Peyton Manning. We wouldn't be quite as worried about what temperature it was going to be on game day in January if the Broncos could run the ball better. Chris Johnson is also completely healthy now, which means he's probably going to do much better than he did in 2013, especially with this offense.

Defenses are not going to be stacking the box and daring Jake Locker to throw downfield here in Denver.

TXBRONC
04-08-2014, 05:10 PM
I think the Broncos would love to sign him, he'd be a huge pickup since he's a runner with game-breaking ability. And he obviously won't get anything like the $8 million he got last season. The market for RBs is just soft. But, can the Broncos afford him and still sign their draft picks and have some spare cash left over to pick up a couple of veteran FAs during training camp or the pre-season?

I doubt Chris Johnson finds a home in Denver. I don't think the Broncos organization thinks they have enough money left to sign him. They might get more impact for their remaining cash if they waited to pick up an OL or two who get cut this summer, and/or a veteran RB who isn't the same high profile as Chris Johnson.

That said, I would love to see it if they could pull it off. It would add a big dimension to the Broncos offense to add another explosive play-maker. And a more powerful running game would take some pressure off Peyton Manning. We wouldn't be quite as worried about what temperature it was going to be on game day in January if the Broncos could run the ball better. Chris Johnson is also completely healthy now, which means he's probably going to do much better than he did in 2013, especially with this offense.

Defenses are not going to be stacking the box and daring Jake Locker to throw downfield here in Denver.

I'm leery of bringing in a running with as much mileage as he has on his body.

If was also mentioned awhile back that that chances are Denver is probably done signing high profile players.

Jsteve01
04-08-2014, 07:20 PM
The game breaking component is nice but hes not nearly the receiver or blocker that knowshon is. I liked the idea but not at the expense of TE and o line depth

DenBronx
04-08-2014, 07:40 PM
Surely not at the expense of one of our depest positions, the TE position. Yes, lets roll with another 5 TEs again next year so they can all sit on the bench and watch Julius go beast mode again.

Dapper Dan
04-08-2014, 08:14 PM
Surely not at the expense of one of our depest positions, the TE position. Yes, lets roll with another 5 TEs again next year so they can all sit on the bench and watch Julius go beast mode again.

Who said that?

Simple Jaded
04-09-2014, 12:31 AM
The game breaking component is nice but hes not nearly the receiver or blocker that knowshon is. I liked the idea but not at the expense of TE and o line depth

Let's stop overstating Moreno's ability in the passing game everybody, he is not some Marshall Faulk receiving or Clinton Poorti$ blocking, he's just not that good. He didn't excel at anything.

Johnson is a far better player.

TXBRONC
04-09-2014, 06:34 AM
Let's stop overstating Moreno's ability in the passing game everybody, he is not some Marshall Faulk receiving or Clinton Poorti$ blocking, he's just not that good. He didn't excel at anything.

Johnson is a far better player.

I'm not so sure he still is. He's got a lot of mileage on his body.

Cugel
04-09-2014, 09:33 AM
I'm not so sure he still is. He's got a lot of mileage on his body.

He was slowed by injuries, but he's completely healthy now. He's also not going to cost a mint. No team is giving big signing bonuses to RBs these days. And against the Titans teams were just playing the run and daring Jake Locker to throw over the top. Teams can't do that against Denver, unless like Seattle they can get push the OL back into Manning with just 4 DL and never blitz. And most teams don't have that kind of DL. Plus, the Broncos are looking to strengthen their OL for this season by getting Clady back and moving Manny Ramirez to G and possibly Chris Clark to RT.

If he gets time to throw or if a team blitzes him, Manning will make them pay by throwing down field. So, having Johnson here would make it even harder on defenses, because if you want to ignore the run and drop 7 or 8 defenders back into coverage, Johnson is perfectly capable of running for 200 yards and 3 TDs. Give him a lane and he can still make big plays. And obviously, if they stack the box to stop the run Peyton can still throw over the top of them with all his weapons.

artie_dale
04-09-2014, 10:16 AM
If only we could afford him. I'd love to have him (would have loved MJD too). It'd take attention off of Peyton and force defenses to play balanced against us, which will help both the run and the pass.

I'd be okay with cutting which ever TE is more expensive (Joel D. or Jacob T.) and drafting one mid rounds. We've got Enough good WRs to be a good pass threat again (DT, Welker, Sanders, and Bubba), with or without JT on the field. Add Chris Johnson to that pass threat and it'll be even more dangerous (more than Monte catching it out of the back field).

CoachChaz
04-09-2014, 11:24 AM
I hope someone signs him soon so we can get away from this

Ziggy
04-09-2014, 01:47 PM
Elway is rolling with Montee. The kid averaged 5.9 YPC during the second half of the season and was the best running back on the roster during those 8 games. It finally clicked. He's ready to carry the load.

Slick
04-09-2014, 01:54 PM
Elway is rolling with Montee. The kid averaged 5.9 YPC during the second half of the season and was the best running back on the roster during those 8 games. It finally clicked. He's ready to carry the load.

What happens if Montee gets hurt? Hillman and Anderson haven't shown much at all.

I'm not saying we need Johnson but I hope there is a back up plan.

Ziggy
04-09-2014, 02:27 PM
Anderson has been injured, but he's shown plenty in the few chances he's had. Had he not gotten injured in the preseason, he would have been the starting RB on opening day. The writing was on the wall. I love the way he runs. I went to camp twice and to the scrimmage last year. In those 3 practices, and the preseason games he looked like the best running back on the roster. He'll get his chance to show that it wasn't a fluke. I still expect Elway to bring in a veteran free agent or draft pick for depth but I have no concerns about the running back position. A guy like Chris Johnson is a luxury that the Broncos can't afford. We still need depth at guard, corner, safety and MLB.

ShaneFalco
04-09-2014, 04:00 PM

how many fumbles?

Valar Morghulis
04-09-2014, 04:12 PM
In the second half of the season? I don't think fumbling was an issue - i think he just needed to get used the harder hits of the NFL, it was never a problem in college and it seemed to just take him a little time to adapt.

Same was true of Eddie Lacy, his first 5 games were fairly ordinary, but he never had a Moreno in front of him to take away snaps.

ShaneFalco
04-09-2014, 04:27 PM
Lacy is alot better then ball. I wouldnt compare the two.

slim
04-09-2014, 04:40 PM
Lacy is alot better then ball. .

Incorrect

Valar Morghulis
04-09-2014, 04:43 PM
I was comparing the time they took to adapt from the college game to the NFL - that said, i think Ball will have a monster year this year - TD style!

Cugel
04-11-2014, 09:07 PM
I agree that a $2-3 million a year RB is probably a luxury that Denver won't go for.

The dirty little secret of the NFL is that the salary cap doesn't really restrict teams that want to sign somebody. It just costs Pat Bowlen more up front cash for signing bonuses and needs creative cap management. And he has a budget. When that budget is spent they don't spend any more.

It's the budget more than the cap that restricts the Broncos from signing any more high priced FAs. But, they could for instance give Chris Johnson a $10 M signing bonus, and pro-rate it over a 6 year contract so that the cap hit would be $1.6M/yr.

But, Bowlen would be out the $10 M up front. Jerry Jones would never blink, but Bowlen refuses to make that kind of money available, because to get it he'd have to sell a small portion of the team (say 1% = $12M or so). So, he limits his budget to revenues. And that limits what he can do in FA.

ShaneFalco
04-11-2014, 09:30 PM
Yea if it hasnt happened by now. I doubt he is coming here.

Cugel
04-11-2014, 10:20 PM
Yea if it hasnt happened by now. I doubt he is coming here.

Well, I don't think it is either, but the timing is that Johnson had to see if there were going to be any big offers for him. If not a lot of teams might be interested at a more reasonable salary, and the Broncos could be one of them.

BroncoJoe
04-13-2014, 09:45 AM
I agree that a $2-3 million a year RB is probably a luxury that Denver won't go for.

The dirty little secret of the NFL is that the salary cap doesn't really restrict teams that want to sign somebody. It just costs Pat Bowlen more up front cash for signing bonuses and needs creative cap management. And he has a budget. When that budget is spent they don't spend any more.

It's the budget more than the cap that restricts the Broncos from signing any more high priced FAs. But, they could for instance give Chris Johnson a $10 M signing bonus, and pro-rate it over a 6 year contract so that the cap hit would be $1.6M/yr.

But, Bowlen would be out the $10 M up front. Jerry Jones would never blink, but Bowlen refuses to make that kind of money available, because to get it he'd have to sell a small portion of the team (say 1% = $12M or so). So, he limits his budget to revenues. And that limits what he can do in FA.
:confused:

MOtorboat
04-13-2014, 12:22 PM
:confused:

With the way Denver has spent the last three years, it's a stupid statement.

Valar Morghulis
04-13-2014, 12:54 PM
Surprised the market for a runner who has been above 1000 yds 6 seasons in a row and hardly missed a game with injury has been so slow.

I thought a team in rebuild mode with cap space like Jacksonville - would have snapped him up, even if only on a 12 months prove it contract, the longer it goes on, the less surprised i would be if Denver decided to take a chance on him. He might be boom or bust, but he has hardly had a passing attack to take the pressure of him in recent years.

Either way - he would be more reliable than Hillman!

atwater27
04-13-2014, 04:23 PM
Surprised the market for a runner who has been above 1000 yds 6 seasons in a row and hardly missed a game with injury has been so slow.

I thought a team in rebuild mode with cap space like Jacksonville - would have snapped him up, even if only on a 12 months prove it contract, the longer it goes on, the less surprised i would be if Denver decided to take a chance on him. He might be boom or bust, but he has hardly had a passing attack to take the pressure of him in recent years.

Either way - he would be more reliable than Hillman!
He's stupid, lazy, me-first and whines a lot. He is also just about over the hill in running back years.

Valar Morghulis
04-13-2014, 04:26 PM
Lol that is a great break down as to why he is still a FA.

Canmore
04-14-2014, 02:02 AM
He's stupid, lazy, me-first and whines a lot. He is also just about over the hill in running back years.

Just about?

tomjonesrocks
04-14-2014, 02:19 AM
JFE must really think Ball = TD this year. There just can't be a way Elway would be so inactive on this position if not.

No way CJ winds up here.

Simple Jaded
04-14-2014, 01:47 PM
Maybe Elway just thinks Ball = your average-to-above-average starting NFL RB?

Valar Morghulis
04-14-2014, 01:58 PM
Maybe Elway just thinks Ball = your average-to-above-average starting NFL RB?

I don't know - JFE seems to strive for perfection, i think he must be pretty confident in Ball and Anderson