PDA

View Full Version : Contract extension for Fox

VonDoom
04-04-2014, 09:21 PM
Three year extension per Jay Glazer:

Jay GlazerVerified account ‏@JayGlazer

Broncos HC John Fox has agreed to new three-yr extension. Both Super Bowl head coaches have now agreed to new deals in 24hr span.

So I guess that answers the question of whether Elway wanted him to twist in the breeze this year.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-04-2014, 10:23 PM
Broncos coach John Fox signed a three-year contract extension with the team Thursday night, team sources confirmed Friday.

The new contract is worth $5 million to $6 million per year.

The Broncos were concerned about the news leaking because they didn't want to steal the spotlight from the Rockies' home opener Friday at Coors Field.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25499463/broncos-john-fox-signs-3-year-extension

Valar Morghulis
04-05-2014, 03:10 AM
Just seen this, but as i am in the UK, i might be behind the times a bit.

What does everyone think about Fox - his win record certainly supports keeping him, as it goes i like him.

Thoughts?

Cugel
04-05-2014, 03:24 AM
The point is that Peyton Manning loves Fox and the Broncos only hope for a championship in the next 10 years revolves around Peyton Manning, so it makes less than zero sense to get rid of him. Manning would very probably retire giving the Broncos no further chance.

When Manning does retire it's going to be the same thing that happens to every team when their franchise QB retires. Years and maybe decades of mediocrity or worse, unless like the Colts you get unbelievably "Lucky". Same thing that happened after Elway. Shanahan was "the Mastermind," but without Elway, not so much.

Fox and Manning may retire together. And even if they don't Fox is suddenly going to look pretty bad with Brock Osweiler as his QB. He won't last very long after Manning, even if the Broncos win the SB in the Manning era.

He's done about as well as any coach could have done despite the horrible SB. He's managed to blend all the players into the AFC #1 seed and a SB team the last 2 years. That's not easy, no matter who is your QB.

For God's sake! The man managed to coach this team into the Playoffs with TIM TEBOW as his QB! You can't do a better coaching job than that!

Valar Morghulis
04-05-2014, 03:42 AM
That year with Tebow was so exciting - i remember the games against the bears and jets and of course the steelers and thinking - maybe this guy is the answer but this was always countered by games where he was dreadful like against the bills, lions, chiefs and of course NE.

It made for great TV though!

DenBronx
04-05-2014, 04:24 AM
I think Fox will be here post Manning and still have us being a contender. Elway gave him a contract for three years which is the balance of Mannings contract, however it's very possible Manning retires a year before that. Elway is very agressive in getting the right talent around Manning. This makes me believe even when Manning does retire Elways going to field the best players he can get ahold of. Basically, he has way more hits than misses and that's why our team is so much better now than pre-Fox.

But glad to see Fox signed up for 3 more years, he's done a great job so far.

luckyseven
04-05-2014, 04:57 AM
I think Fox will be here post Manning and still have us being a contender. Elway gave him a contract for three years which is the balance of Mannings contract, however it's very possible Manning retires a year before that. Elway is very agressive in getting the right talent around Manning. This makes me believe even when Manning does retire Elways going to field the best players he can get ahold of. Basically, he has way more hits than misses and that's why our team is so much better now than pre-Fox.

I think we will be surprised at how well the team will set up for play post Manning, the OL is being built, the DL is the best it has been in decades, that is the base of the team, it all starts at the LOS. RBs are easy to find, JT is just starting to play, he will get better each year for a very long time, if DT does not get a big head next year money wise, he is good for another 8 years. Fill in WRs are not that hard to find and maybe the exsisting ones will be happy to stay on a winner.

Miller is still a kid and IF we can keep him he is worth building the rest of the defense around. Most players going into their third contracts are not quite as worried about having to have the biggest contract and often will take a bit less to stay with a winner and be on a good team that has treated them well.

This year was well bad for keeping players but then most of them were not drafted by the Johns. Or were short term rentals. The more players that John drafts as long term starters the easier it is for them to want to keep them.

BroncoWave
04-05-2014, 07:59 AM
Darn, I guess that means we aren't bringing in Dungy, Gruden, or Cowher. Elway you suck!

/sarcasm

Mike
04-05-2014, 08:20 AM
Congrats to Fox. He brought much needed stability to the team. As much as his post SB attitude and comments irritated me, he is a solid coach. Still skeptical that they win a SB and think Denver is screwed post-Manning. Hopefully Denver can stay healthy this season and put it all together as a team.

MasterShake
04-05-2014, 08:56 AM
Good news to me. Like others have said 2 #1 seeds and 3 AFC West Titles with a Super Bowl appearance is impressive. We need consistency at the coaching level while we still have Manning in my opinion.

Ravage!!!
04-05-2014, 10:09 AM
Congrats to Fox. He brought much needed stability to the team. As much as his post SB attitude and comments irritated me, he is a solid coach. Still skeptical that they win a SB and think Denver is screwed post-Manning. Hopefully Denver can stay healthy this season and put it all together as a team.

ANY time a team loses a top QB, that team takes a nose dive. It's been proved time and time again, despite the coach.

luckyseven
04-05-2014, 11:42 AM
ANY time a team loses a top QB, that team takes a nose dive. It's been proved time and time again, despite the coach.

NE losing their QB and Brady stepping in did not seem to be an issue.

atwater27
04-05-2014, 11:56 AM
I like John Fox, but I don't think he is anything exceptional as a coach in today's NFL. We could do much worse, so I am not complaining. But I am not excited either. Not that we could get any better right now, it is what it is.

nevcraw
04-05-2014, 12:05 PM
Fox took a Jake Delohmme team to to the SB too. he's a winner and a good coach who hires good coaches. His coaching tree already looks a shit ton better than Shanny's. Is he perfect? no. but he is a proven winner who coached 2 separate teams to the SB. rare. I have no issues with keeping Foxy around.

Ravage!!!
04-05-2014, 12:10 PM
NE losing their QB and Brady stepping in did not seem to be an issue.

Gee, great example. Steve Young steps in for Montana, Rodgers in GB....all good, and good for you pointing that out. There are always exceptions to the rule.

Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Miami, Dallas...even the 49ers after Young retired. But we can see how many teams haven't been tops WITHOUT a top QB. Look at the teams that have the top QBs now and see how long it took them to finally find their QB. There is definitely a correlation. Denver was in pretty dire straights before getting the opportunity to sign the greatest FA to ever hit the market. "Luck" plays a hand. Getting Brady in the 6th round wasn't based on top scouting.

Northman
04-05-2014, 12:12 PM
And even if they don't Fox is suddenly going to look pretty bad with Brock Osweiler as his QB. He won't last very long after Manning, even if the Broncos win the SB in the Manning era.

That's not easy, no matter who is your QB.

For God's sake! The man managed to coach this team into the Playoffs with TIM TEBOW as his QB! You can't do a better coaching job than that!

Way to totally contradict yourself there. :lol:

Northman
04-05-2014, 12:13 PM

Indeed.

luckyseven
04-05-2014, 12:44 PM
I like John Fox, but I don't think he is anything exceptional as a coach in today's NFL. We could do much worse, so I am not complaining. But I am not excited either. Not that we could get any better right now, it is what it is.

As the HC he and John have put together a really good coaching group.

He is the stabilizing force on the field. Is he supposed to be that dynamic guy. Or just be there for coach speak.

Ravage!!!
04-05-2014, 12:51 PM
The signs of any good leader is the one that knows how to designate the jobs to those that know their specialties, and then allows them to do their job. McDick was really really bad about wanting to do it all,and criticize everyone else around him believing that he was better than everyone else. That is why we lost good coordinators, and why the coaching staff turned their backs on him. He wasn't a good leader. Fox knows how to lead, and that is MUCh more important than being good at throwing the red flag.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-05-2014, 02:00 PM
As his contract extension was laboring through negotiations, Broncos coach John Fox was preparing himself for a worst-case scenario.

The worst case for any NFL coach is to lead as a lame duck. This is the term used when a coach has one, and only one more year left on the contract.

AND

"That's never easy," Fox said Saturday morning. "I've done it before (with Carolina in 2010). I was prepared, but that's not something you'd like to do. This is the ultimate good thing to happen. I think it's a good deal all the way around.

"There's a personal side to this, too. My wife and I love it here. Shoot, my boys don't even live here and they love it here. We've got great fans. I love working for Pat Bowlen. John Elway is a great boss. It's a great organization. All of that plays a part in it.

full article
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25502560/broncos-coach-john-fox-talks-about-his-new

CrazyHorse
04-05-2014, 02:37 PM
I hope Manning plays out the remainder of his contract and we win at least 1 Championship. Then Fox and Manning can both retire and Gase will have enough experience to take over.

Valar Morghulis
04-05-2014, 03:02 PM
After the mcdaniels fiasco I don't think Mr Bowlen will go for such in-experience again.

He is great but even in two years I think it will be to soon for him.

We will do well to hold onto him as OC as no doubt teams will be knocking again next year.

DenBronx
04-05-2014, 03:25 PM

True, unless you have a Brady, Rogers or Young riding the bench while learning from another great QB. Is Brock that guy? Only time will tell.

But I think what makes Elway get having the need for a franchise QB the biggest priority is that he was one. If Brock isn't that guy then I can see Elway getting another vet or trading up to get one. He will break the bank if he has too because he understands the value of having a FQB.

luckyseven
04-05-2014, 03:55 PM
True, unless you have a Brady, Rogers or Young riding the bench while learning from another great QB. Is Brock that guy? Only time will tell.

But I think what makes Elway get having the need for a franchise QB the biggest priority is that he was one. If Brock isn't that guy then I can see Elway getting another vet or trading up to get one. He will break the bank if he has too because he understands the value of having a FQB.

But as has been demonstrated on many times you do not have to have one from the top five picks either.

I think he sees something in OZ and they are developing him to read complex defenses and will be ready to play when Manning moves to the HOF. They will have to pay him to sit on the bench and that is coming up in two years IIRC.
So if he is not the guy and since they see him in practice and the film room daily they will know what they have.

Also I think manning is giving him the reps and advise that he had really never did before. While he was still mortal.

luckyseven
04-05-2014, 05:02 PM
Gee, great example. Steve Young steps in for Montana, Rodgers in GB....all good, and good for you pointing that out. There are always exceptions to the rule.

Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Miami, Dallas...even the 49ers after Young retired. But we can see how many teams haven't been tops WITHOUT a top QB. Look at the teams that have the top QBs now and see how long it took them to finally find their QB. There is definitely a correlation. Denver was in pretty dire straights before getting the opportunity to sign the greatest FA to ever hit the market. "Luck" plays a hand. Getting Brady in the 6th round wasn't based on top scouting.

Sorry did not see your response till now..

The things that made the aforementioned teams either flourish or maintain we're a stable coaching staff and a good to great FO.

If you look at the later teams, not so much, although PIT had one lousy year before they hooked big Ben. And have been a contender since.

IMO it is about 90% FO that makes the team a contender.

Dallas is a joke with Jerry running the OPS, Buffalo just a small town market and lots of FO turnovers, Miami has also had loads of turn over in ownership as well as coaching and FO staff. They are about to cme around IF the owner does not get stupid and start over if they do not win this year.

As for San Fran IIRC they had a major change in ownership (maybe chnge is the wrong word as the debartalos still owned it ) as well as FO and coaching staff about the time Young got hurt and had to retire.

Mostly you are correct replacing a FQB is tough, be stable consistent teams have a lot less trouble doing so.

luckyseven
04-05-2014, 05:04 PM
After the mcdaniels fiasco I don't think Mr Bowlen will go for such in-experience again.

We will do well to hold onto him as OC as no doubt teams will be knocking again next year.

The difference now is he has a steady GM to watch over the team, unlike when they hired Mc D without a real GM to run the FO and guide the HC.

Dreadnought
04-05-2014, 09:56 PM
The signs of any good leader is the one that knows how to designate the jobs to those that know their specialties, and then allows them to do their job. McDick was really really bad about wanting to do it all,and criticize everyone else around him believing that he was better than everyone else. That is why we lost good coordinators, and why the coaching staff turned their backs on him. He wasn't a good leader. Fox knows how to lead, and that is MUCh more important than being good at throwing the red flag.

I think you summed it up exactly. Fox doesn't insist that everyone acknowledge him as the smartest kid in the room. he is about success from the whole organization, and gives full rein and credit to competent subordinates

tripp
04-06-2014, 11:44 AM
I hope Manning plays out the remainder of his contract and we win at least 1 Championship. Then Fox and Manning can both retire and Gase will have enough experience to take over.

That would be ideal, almost a Disney movie ending. Too good to be true though.

Jsteve01
04-06-2014, 11:50 AM

The difference now is he has a steady GM to watch over the team, unlike when they hired Mc D without a real GM to run the FO and guide the HC.. And even more important he's an in house guy so they know what he's really about not just how he interviewed

Shazam!
04-06-2014, 12:21 PM
[QUOTE=DenBronx;2169867]I think Fox will be here post Manning and still have us being a contender...

The Colts thought they had enough talent when Manning went down, howd that work out?

His presence on a team can never be underestimated, he's that good.

MOtorboat
04-06-2014, 12:35 PM
[QUOTE=luckyseven;2169869]

The Colts thought they had enough talent when Manning went down, howd that work out?

His presence on a team can never be underestimated, he's that good.

No they didn't. They absolutely tanked that season.

Shazam!
04-06-2014, 12:57 PM
Please re-read my post before jumping to your usual condescending conclusions of wizardry.

I nowhere said they had a successful season, I am well aware of their awfulness.
Going INTO the season, the Colts franchise believed they'd still be at least competitive.

MOtorboat
04-06-2014, 01:00 PM
Please re-read my post before jumping to your usual condescending conclusions of wizardry.

I nowhere said they had a successful season, I am well aware of their awfulness.
Going INTO the season, the Colts franchise believed they'd still be at least competitive.

Yeah. I read it the first time. I disagree.

atwater27
04-06-2014, 01:23 PM

:rofl:

luckyseven
04-06-2014, 01:51 PM
. And even more important he's an in house guy so they know what he's really about not just how he interviewed

IMO Joe and Pat were looking to emulate the NE Model when they hired Mc D. Who added Nolan to bring in the 3-4 that we were not equipped player wise to do.

Their biggest mistake was not hiring a legit GM to oversee the operation someone to build the scouting staff, make sure the HC allowed his coordinators to do their jobs without micro managing their areas of responsibility.

Not sure if he will ever be a HC again, but there is no doubt he is a brilliant OC.

Some coaches are destined to be great assistants or coordinators.

With Gase we will have Elway around to keep an eye on things.

Cugel
04-06-2014, 09:24 PM
Why would Elway want Fox to "twist in the breeze?" Everything depends on keeping Peyton Manning happy. And he wants Fox. He does not want to have to deal with a new coaching staff. That would make him very, very unhappy.If he becomes unhappy for any reason he retires. Period. And the Broncos can kiss their chances of ever winning another SB in this decade goodbye.

tripp
04-07-2014, 04:26 PM
^^^^ If what you're saying is Elway is keeping Fox around purely for Manning, why sign him to a 3 year contract extension? I don't think Peyton will be around for 3 years. Well, either way, if Peyton's happy I'm happy I guess. Once Manning is gone though, I hope Pat Bowlen steps in and rips out Fox and throws in Gase as HC. I hope we don't lose this guy, he's an innovative, hard working coach that I hope stays.

Cugel
04-11-2014, 09:54 PM
[QUOTE=Shazam!;2170186]

No they didn't. They absolutely tanked that season.

If you're suggesting they tanked on purpose ("suck for Luck") how did that work out?

Well, it's great now if you're Jim Irsay or a Colts fan. Not so great if you were Bill Polian, his son Chris, or coach Jim Caldwell. They all got FIRED.

"I used to think nobody hated losing more than I did or was more miserable after a loss. I decided it was a tie between me and Bill," Peyton Manning told [Chris] Mortensen. "And I stay in the building pretty late and he was always here working, too. Personally, my goodness, so many thoughts. He was one of the last guys to leave my wedding with Ashley (his wife). This [firing] is very, very tough."

Cugel
04-11-2014, 09:59 PM
^^^^ If what you're saying is Elway is keeping Fox around purely for Manning, why sign him to a 3 year contract extension? I don't think Peyton will be around for 3 years. Well, either way, if Peyton's happy I'm happy I guess. Once Manning is gone though, I hope Pat Bowlen steps in and rips out Fox and throws in Gase as HC. I hope we don't lose this guy, he's an innovative, hard working coach that I hope stays.

Fox has proven to be a successful head coach, independent of Peyton Manning. After all he managed to get the Broncos into the playoffs and even win a game with Tim Tebow as his QB!

And he said over and over that he thought Tebow WAS capable of being an NFL starting QB. That deserves an Academy Award for Best Actor.

MOtorboat
04-12-2014, 12:53 AM
If you're suggesting they tanked on purpose ("suck for Luck") how did that work out?

Well, it's great now if you're Jim Irsay or a Colts fan. Not so great if you were Bill Polian, his son Chris, or coach Jim Caldwell. They all got FIRED.

Look at how they prepared for losing Manning. It was pathetic. And the two quarterbacks they had were SO bad they actually hired Kerry Collins at the end of the season.

If they didn't tank, they sure did one shitty job of preparing for if Manning went down.