PDA

View Full Version : Champ Bailey visiting the Saints today

Denver Native (Carol)
04-01-2014, 05:33 PM
Former Denver Broncos Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey is visiting the New Orleans Saints today.

Bailey posed for an Instagram photograph with Saints defensive back Keenan Lewis.

Bailey is a 12-time Pro Bowl selection.

He only trails Pro Football Hall of Fame defensive end Reggie White (13 Pro Bowl selections) among defensive players in NFL history and ties for the sixth-most overall.

rest - http://sports.yahoo.com/news/champ-bailey-visiting-saints-today-221102699--nfl.html

Denver Native (Carol)
04-01-2014, 05:35 PM
It took Champ Bailey a long time to reach his first Super Bowl, and it might take him some time to make people forget his recent form.

But that hasn’t kept him from looking for another chance.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the veteran cornerback is visiting the Saints, and may have another trip lined up, depending on the negotiations.

rest - http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/01/champ-bailey-visiting-the-saints-maybe-another-team/

Dapper Dan
04-01-2014, 05:35 PM
That would look odd. But seeing him in any other uniform would look odd.

I wouldn't mind seeing him in Tampa or Tennessee.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-01-2014, 05:37 PM
Ian RapoportVerified account ‏@RapSheet

Champ Bailey visited the #Saints facility today… and we can thank Keenan Lewis for the Instagram shot pic.twitter.com/is5NAUQvsa

Magnificent Seven
04-01-2014, 06:27 PM
Good Luck, Champ!

Davii
04-01-2014, 06:31 PM
All the best to Champ. If I have to see Champ play elsewhere the Saints are one I can definitely get on board with. I might even buy a jersey.

spikerman
04-01-2014, 07:04 PM
Davii, I like Champ as much as the next guy, but I'll be damned if my hard earned money will be spent on another team's jersey - no matter who the player is. C'mon man! (said in my best Cris Carter voice)

Davii
04-01-2014, 07:10 PM
Davii, I like Champ as much as the next guy, but I'll be damned if my hard earned money will be spent on another team's jersey - no matter who the player is. C'mon man! (said in my best Cris Carter voice)

The Saints are my "other" team. Mainly because I lived in NOLA for a while and meet many of the players between hurricane Katrina stuff, color guards, toys for tots, etc. Besides the fact that I'll be living in NOLA as soon as the Marines let me and it's where the wife was born and raised.

I would wear a Champ Saints jersey, not on Sunday though, or any day the Broncos play. I like the Saints, but don't get it twisted, I've always been and always will be a Bronco fan.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-01-2014, 07:22 PM
Davii, let's just move forward and pretend this never happened. :D

VonDoom
04-01-2014, 08:07 PM
I thought the Saints had no cap room left?

BroncoWave
04-01-2014, 09:01 PM
Ugh, I would vomit if he played for the Saints.

honz
04-02-2014, 12:25 AM
Who?

Davii
04-02-2014, 02:02 AM
Ugh, I would vomit if he played for the Saints.

You shut your dirty mouth

DenBronx
04-02-2014, 03:14 AM
Slowly back away from the who dat jersey.

Everyone calm down...

I'm not going to do what everyone thinks I'm gonna do....

...AND FLIP OUT!!!!

the fish are comin with me.

Cugel
04-02-2014, 11:48 AM
I thought the Saints had no cap room left?

Champ is going to have to come in and take a 1 year contract to prove that he can still be a starter in this league. He's certainly not going to have a job just handed to him and probably won't get a guaranteed signing bonus. There just aren't many 36 year old CBs in the NFL.

I thought the Broncos should have tried to move him to safety, but apparently either they didn't think he would be good enough there to win a starting job or it would be just too hard to bring him back at a reasonable salary. Probably the latter.

He's going from $10 million a year to maybe $1 million - IF he makes the 53 man roster which is also not guaranteed.

DenBronx
04-02-2014, 01:16 PM
If he's going from 10 mill a year to only 1 mill then why in the hell didnt we make room for him? He's a hell of alot better depth then what we have plus he could have just stayed at nickle. Hopefully he gets an offer then brings it back to us.

The Saints is a team I dont hate....I was hoping he would go to a non rival NFC team. Giants would have been a cool spot for him too, especially since a few other Broncos already landed there.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-02-2014, 01:23 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 15h

#Broncos obviously disagree with me. I say Champ's 2013 season was more about foot injury than age. We'll see.

Bronco9798
04-02-2014, 01:26 PM
Hard to believe anybody would sign him, unless as a back up. He's done.

DenBronx
04-02-2014, 01:30 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 15h

#Broncos obviously disagree with me. I say Champ's 2013 season was more about foot injury than age. We'll see.

I agree with this. He has lost a step but I think the injury thing really got to him more than losing a step. But, I also believe Harris Jr and Talib need to be the #1 and #2 guys. Tough call really....but if it's a cheap deal I would wonder why the Broncos just couldnt run with him on a 1yr deal to try and help get this man a ring.

DenBronx
04-02-2014, 01:32 PM
Hard to believe anybody would sign him, unless as a back up. He's done.

I dont know man. How can you say that when the year prior he played like a top 5 CB? Even when he wasnt injured this year he was still playing very well. I could see him starting, even at 36, on many teams right now.

Bronco9798
04-02-2014, 01:38 PM
I dont know man. How can you say that when the year prior he played like a top 5 CB? Even when he wasnt injured this year he was still playing very well. I could see him starting, even at 36, on many teams right now.

I said all last year I thought he was done. I still do. He got toasted on the few plays he was thrown at in the SB. He's slow, lost steps, etc., You can't put a 36 year old CB on today's WR's in the NFL and expect to him to keep up all game. He could of played more last year. JDR wasn't big on him playing. When Harris went down they brought him in more. Anyway, I don't think we'll be seeing Champ on any ESPN highlights this year making plays. Maybe getting burnt, but that's about it.

Bronco9798
04-02-2014, 01:39 PM
No coach in their right mind would put Champ before Harris.

DenBronx
04-02-2014, 03:02 PM
No coach in their right mind would put Champ before Harris.

I actually agree with this here. Wasnt even hinting at that idea, nor do I think he's better than Talib at this stage.

DenBronx
04-03-2014, 12:33 AM
Just don't think Champ is "done" like some are saying. He was injured and played through the pain. Maybe he isn't going to start on the Broncos but he isn't "done", I find that hard to believe knowing he was injured.

Has anyone here had a lisfranc injury? I have never had it so I don't know how bad it is, especially for an athlete.

DenBronx
04-04-2014, 02:31 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1984560-champ-bailey-to-saints-latest-contract-details-analysis-and-reaction?

Champ Bailey to Saints: Latest Contract Details, Analysis and Reaction | Bleacher Report

via ble.ac/teamstream-

OB
04-04-2014, 02:32 PM
:Cry:

:salute::salute::salute:

Cugel
04-04-2014, 02:32 PM
If he's going from 10 mill a year to only 1 mill then why in the hell didnt we make room for him? He's a hell of alot better depth then what we have plus he could have just stayed at nickle. Hopefully he gets an offer then brings it back to us.

The Saints is a team I dont hate....I was hoping he would go to a non rival NFC team. Giants would have been a cool spot for him too, especially since a few other Broncos already landed there.

I think it would have been a lot harder for Champ to take a huge pay cut and become a backup here in Denver where he was the star for so many years. It's easier on his pride if he goes to another team that owes him nothing and where he has no history.

Then whatever happens there's no lingering feeling that "they're demoting me in order to prove they were right about my skills declining." In NO, if he gets a veteran minimum contract and winds up a backup it's not because anybody was trying to prove anything. They would absolutely LOVE for Champ to come in and suddenly be the player he was in 2005 when he almost won the Defensive MVP.

But, that's not going to happen. Whatever does happen, then won't injure his pride. It's like Jerry Rice being a backup WR in Denver versus sitting on the bench in S.F. Not the same thing.

DenBronx
04-04-2014, 02:34 PM
It doesnt matter now because he just signed with the Saints

Cugel
04-04-2014, 02:36 PM
Latest News
Recent News (http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/1925/champ-bailey)

Saints signed CB Champ Bailey to a two-year contract.
We realize it's popular at this point in time to chalk up Bailey as "done," but he had an excellent regular season in 2012 before Torrey Smith ran by him a few times in Denver's playoff loss, and Bailey was injured throughout 2013. We're a little more open minded. Turning 36 in June, Bailey's skill set remains an excellent fit for DC Rob Ryan's press-man scheme, where he'll only have to deal with No. 2 corners opposite running mate Keenan Lewis. It's still likely New Orleans uses an early draft pick at cornerback, quite possibly in the first round. Apr 4 - 3:19 PM

The Saints have a major hole opposite Keenan Lewis, but relying on a soon-to-be 36-year-old Bailey as a starter would be risky business after injury limited him to just 193 snaps last season. Bailey is open to playing safety, but the Saints already have their starters in Jairus Byrd and Kenny Vaccaro. It's possible Bailey is being eyed as a deluxe reserve who could play all over the secondary.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-04-2014, 03:24 PM
Champ Bailey, the former longtime Denver Broncos Pro Bowl cornerback, agreed to terms with the New Orleans Saints on Friday for a two-year deal. He will compete for a starting cornerback job.

"That's where we're starting," he said. "That's all I wanted."

Bailey indicated that quarterback Drew Brees was among the top factors for why he wanted to be a Saint.

"That's almost No. 1," he said. "You play in this league a long time, and you know how important that position is."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25495319/champ-bailey-signing-new-orleans-saints-report

Denver Native (Carol)
04-04-2014, 03:26 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 30m

RT @DemaryiusT: Congrats to my bro champ signing with the saints ...

Denver Native (Carol)
04-04-2014, 04:25 PM
The New Orleans Saints have added one of the NFL's all-time great cornerbacks to the roster, agreeing to a two-year contract with veteran Champ Bailey, the team confirmed Friday.

Bailey's deal will have a maximum value of $7 million, a league source tells ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Bailey, 35, is the same age as Saints quarterback Drew Brees, giving New Orleans a likely Hall of Famer on each side of the ball.

AND

Bailey was released by the Denver Broncos earlier this offseason because of a lofty price tag and declining production. But the 12-time Pro Bowler is said to be healthy after being plagued by a foot injury last season, ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter reported earlier this week.

rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10729310/champ-bailey-signing-new-orleans-saints

NightTerror218
04-04-2014, 04:37 PM
Dude will be missed. Hope to see hom retire as a Broncos sooner then later though. Get him in the ring of fame.

BroncoWave
04-04-2014, 07:43 PM
Ugh, that makes me nauseous. Really takes some of the luster of this offseason for me. Not that I wanted us to bring him back, but of all teams he could have gone to....the Saints???

TXBRONC
04-04-2014, 07:46 PM
Ugh, that makes me nauseous. Really takes some of the luster of this offseason for me. Not that I wanted us to bring him back, but of all teams he could have gone to....the Saints???

I would rather it be with Saints than a team in our own division. It still sucks but it's better than him going to the Raiders, Chiefs, or Chargers.

BroncoWave
04-04-2014, 07:52 PM
I would rather it be with Saints than a team in our own division. It still sucks but it's better than him going to the Raiders, Chiefs, or Chargers.

I think I'd honestly rather it have been a team in our division. I have a very unhealthy dislike for the Saints. It's completely irrational but it is what it is.

TXBRONC
04-04-2014, 07:56 PM
I think I'd honestly rather it have been a team in our division. I have a very unhealthy dislike for the Saints. It's completely irrational but it is what it is.

I agree it's completely irrational.

Now you can't say I'm always disagreeing with you. :cheers:

Dzone
04-04-2014, 11:27 PM
The Saints are a good place for Champ. Thats far removed from the afc and the afc west. Can cheer for champ to have a great season. Wont mind playing against him in the super bowl if that were to happen.

Dapper Dan
04-05-2014, 01:41 AM
I could see Champ giving Corey White, who's set to make about $600k this season, some money for #24.

Cugel
04-05-2014, 10:51 AM
Champ just said that "I'm not going to do what Eric Decker did" (offer $25k to swap #s). He says that "if" the guy is willing to switch with him fine, but if not, fine, he'll take whatever # he's given.

Dude is smart! It's just a jersey #. It's not worth $25,000!

Cugel
04-05-2014, 10:54 AM
Looks like Champ is getting something like around $2M guaranteed this season, plus some incentives. Next year is NOT guaranteed and he'll be 38 so he might very well NOT get much more than about $2M total.

Still, an extra $2M isn't bad. It's just chump change compared with baseball, where the Yankees have to pay A-Rod $60M just to go away. "Just go away A-Rod, here's your $60 million."

MasterShake
04-05-2014, 11:24 AM
The Saints are my "other" team. Mainly because I lived in NOLA for a while and meet many of the players between hurricane Katrina stuff, color guards, toys for tots, etc. Besides the fact that I'll be living in NOLA as soon as the Marines let me and it's where the wife was born and raised.

I would wear a Champ Saints jersey, not on Sunday though, or any day the Broncos play. I like the Saints, but don't get it twisted, I've always been and always will be a Bronco fan.

The Saints are my "other team" as well but I will never actively root for them against the Broncos or anything of course. I have lots of friends in New Orleans and have been to games there and always had a blast. Plus I really like Drew Brees so they are an easy team to root for in the NFC. Glad Champ ended up there and not somewhere like Dallas or Oakland. He would be dead to me then.

EDIT: Until he retired, that is!

Dzone
04-05-2014, 11:30 AM
Champ just said that "I'm not going to do what Eric Decker did" (offer $25k to swap #s). He says that "if" the guy is willing to switch with him fine, but if not, fine, he'll take whatever # he's given.

Champ is a class act. He has never been a Me first type of guy.

Dapper Dan
04-05-2014, 11:41 AM
I didn't think that would be selfish. It could help out the young guy to have an extra $25k. If he does give up the number for free, I hope Champ does something in return. White was #3 in college, so I'm not sure if he cares about the #24 or not.

Dapper Dan
04-05-2014, 11:44 AM

Do you have a link or anything? I didn't know he said that and can't find it.

Dapper Dan
04-05-2014, 11:45 AM
@KennyVaccaro4 's tweet to White. :lol:

@CoreyWhiteJr3*24 gone hahaha

tripp
04-06-2014, 11:43 AM
Gonna miss you Champ, but you're against us now, and if by some miracle we end up playing you guys in the Superbowl, you better pray you're not covering DT because you're going to get burned.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-09-2014, 07:09 PM
Champ Bailey won't be changing positions in 2014.

Saints general manager Mickey Loomis confirmed Wednesday that New Orleans intends to play Bailey only at cornerback this season.

"You always have a need for good players and that's a valuable position," Loomis said, via The Times-Picayune.

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000340293/article/champ-bailey-set-to-play-cornerback-saints-gm-says

ShaneFalco
04-09-2014, 08:05 PM
Slowly back away from the who dat jersey.

Everyone calm down...

I'm not going to do what everyone thinks I'm gonna do....

...AND FLIP OUT!!!!

the fish are comin with me.

lolz. I love that movie so much.

Simple Jaded
04-09-2014, 09:21 PM
Learn to swim, Champ, learn to swim.

Simple Jaded
04-09-2014, 09:24 PM
lolz. I love that movie so much.

You don't say?

ShaneFalco
04-09-2014, 09:30 PM