PDA

View Full Version : Special Teams?

Ziggy
04-01-2014, 12:18 AM
The Broncos special teams units were among the worst in the NFL last season. They finished 23rd in average yards allowed per return on punts, and dead last in average yards allowed per return on kickoffs. I haven't seen any adjustments made to that phase of the coaching staff in the offseason. Elway is too smart to continue to allow this team to be that poor in any one phase. Have I missed any moves.....or does someone know something that I don't about our special teams dilemma not being addressed in the offseason?

FanInAZ
04-01-2014, 12:53 AM
Our ST was improved by getting rid of Holliday.

Dapper Dan
04-01-2014, 01:02 AM
Yeah. Holliday was a piss-poor tackler.

Ziggy
04-01-2014, 01:05 AM
My post was referring to our special teams coverage more than anything. Emmanuel Sanders can return kicks. He'll be an improvement just for the fact that he can hold onto the ball.

Dapper Dan
04-01-2014, 01:09 AM
I'm hoping we get a few good tacklers in the draft. Hopefully a few of the guys we have step up too.

I would like Andrew Jackson from WKU on special teams. He likes to hit people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8QzQOVKiu0

FanInAZ
04-01-2014, 01:44 AM
I know, I know. What I don't know is what kind of notable solution your expected to see in FA & the draft. I doubt that many of us can name very many of our 3rd stringers who primary role on the team is K or P coverage. So I wouldn't expect us to recognize when they sign some unknown player to improve our ST.

DenBronx
04-01-2014, 01:56 AM
Ummm our ST defense sucked. Dont believe me?

Then watch the very last game we played.

Ziggy
04-01-2014, 02:00 AM
I know, I know. What I don't know is what kind of notable solution your expected to see in FA & the draft. I doubt that many of us can name very many of our 3rd stringers who primary role on the team is K or P coverage. So I wouldn't expect us to recognize when they sign some unknown player to improve our ST.

As I said in the original post, I haven't seen any changes to that phase of the coaching staff this offseason. I expected them to at least bring in a consultant, new ST coach, or assistant.

sneakers
04-01-2014, 06:20 AM
maybe because every kick off at home goes through the back of the endzone, and they realyl don't care that much?

luckyseven
04-01-2014, 01:45 PM
As I said in the original post, I haven't seen any changes to that phase of the coaching staff this offseason. I expected them to at least bring in a consultant, new ST coach, or assistant.

We were very good the year before. But we also had a lot of problems with injuries this past year that took a lot of the actual ST starters

I think when you have one or two new guys out there each week lapses happens.

It only takes one mistake out if 11 for big yards to be made.

Iirc they were pretty good at the first of the year then guys were hurt or moved up to playing more time on O or D if not starting.

I do not think it was a coaching issue.

spikerman
04-01-2014, 07:07 PM
The Broncos should dock the special teams coach every time Prater doesn't kick it out of the end zone.

dogfish
04-01-2014, 08:45 PM
zig, i was hoping. . .

i'm assuming the SC is getting a pass because all the injuries most likely caused quite a bit of turnover on the coverage units. . .

Simple Jaded
04-01-2014, 10:45 PM
zig, i was hoping. . .

i'm assuming the SC is getting a pass because all the injuries most likely caused quite a bit of turnover on the coverage units. . .
Yep, I think if the starters can stay on the field the coverage unit will improve.

Still, although Holiday is addition by subtraction, I think Bruton was a luxury signing and Colquitt regressed.