PDA

View Full Version : Compensatory picks

Touchdown Denver
03-31-2014, 11:32 AM
Can somebody explain the CP order to me? I was told the NFL makes it like an 8th round, but that is not what I am seeing at all. If that was true, the Falcons would not pick after the 49erc, etc. A few teams got consecutive picks. The Seahawks have CPs, but the Texans will pick Mr. Irrelevant. It looks like someone just drew names out of a hat.

underrated29
03-31-2014, 11:42 AM
This should be fun.

No one knows the formula for sure....I had posted a link in the knowshons a dolphin thread, but I dont feel like going to get it.

Touchdown Denver
03-31-2014, 12:36 PM
This should be fun.

No one knows the formula for sure. I had posted a link in the Knowshon's a Dolphin thread, but I don't feel like going to get it.

The NFL clearly explains how the order is for all of the regular picks are including trades and tiebreakers. You would think they explained the CP formula too.

We don't get a pick this year for Knowshon. For reasons I don't understand, we would get one next year if at all.

MOtorboat
03-31-2014, 12:38 PM
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php/584876-NFL-Announces-32-Compensatory-Draft-Choices-to-13-Clubs

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php/584593-Miami-Dolphins-to-meet-with-free-agent-RB-Knowshon-Moreno

underrated29
03-31-2014, 12:50 PM
The NFL clearly explains how the order is for all of the regular picks are including trades and tiebreakers. You would think they explained the CP formula too.

We don't get a pick this year for Knowshon. For reasons I don't understand, we would get one next year if at all.

Im very certain we will be getting a comp pick next year...Possibly two of them.

Mos post above has the illustrations as to why I think that.

MOtorboat
03-31-2014, 02:19 PM
Im very certain we will be getting a comp pick next year...Possibly two of them.

Mos post above has the illustrations as to why I think that.

And I thoroughly disagree with our young stallion here.

OB
03-31-2014, 03:55 PM
I kind of think thats his point - is there a real reason behind CP's - there should be a science behind these things (as in the real picks) not just a subjective judgment call by some dude or dudes no one knows anything about

if there is, we would like to know - if this whole CP is subjective - WTF is the point - Patriots will get one every year

Touchdown Denver
03-31-2014, 06:32 PM
I kind of think that's his point - is there a real reason behind CPs - there should be a science behind these things (as in the real picks) not just a subjective judgment call by some dude or dudes no one knows anything about.

If there is, we would like to know - if this whole CP is subjective - WTF is the point - Patriots will get one every year.

Someone told me it is not subjective at all: Regardless of how well Terrance Knighton played as a Bronco, the Jaguars would not get a pick for him because of his contract value. Of course that's not true because the Jaguars would have gotten it last year if it had nothing to do with Knighton's performance. I think the Jags were screwed out of a CP because TK had a great year for us.

Someone else said teams don't get picks for players who signed after a certain date. To me that is just stupid. Why have them at all if free agents must join new teams before OTAs start?

I think the only thing that should matter is the loss/gain ratio. Why should anyone care how much money Knowshon Moreno got from the Dolphins, when we moved to Miami, or how much he runs next season?

DenBronx
04-02-2014, 01:25 PM
When a team signs just as many or more free agents that they lose they will not be seeing any comp picks. We have been going nuts signing FAs the past few years.

So don't hold your breath.

When a team lets it's free agents go and just keeps drafting then they usually end up with the comp picks. Really I would rather see us pick up a Talib, Ward, Ware and Sanders then taking a shot in the dark with a 4th rounder anyway. When you are in a win now mode then get the proven players to put you over the top. Elways got a mixture going. He's very aggressive in free agency plus he is doing very good with the draft. That's the best formula for success imo.

underrated29
04-02-2014, 04:03 PM
A little more light shed on the subject.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/r...ojections.html

1. Lost players that are cut or not tendered as RFAs and ERFAs do not qualify.

2. Lost players that were picked up during the season the year before do not qualify.

3. Signed players that are released before midseason do not qualify.

4. Players earning low minimum salaries do not qualify.

5. Each player signed cancels out one player lost.

6. The round of the pick awarded is primarily determined by the annual value of the contract signed. Signed players cancel out lost players with equal contracts, then lower contracts, before canceling out higher contracts.

It should be noted that although the NFL admits publicly the basic rules above, NFL teams do not know the exact picks that they will be awarded. They have to make assumptions based upon past history, just as I have done.

CoachChaz
04-02-2014, 04:14 PM
God I cant wait for the 2015 comp picks to be announced so we can be done with this

VonDoom
04-02-2014, 04:23 PM
God I cant wait for the 2015 comp picks to be announced so we can be done with this

I agree. I think we're getting a couple but we'll find out in 11 months or so. There will be some epic thread bumping around that time, I expect

luckyseven
04-02-2014, 09:05 PM
A little more light shed on the subject.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/r...ojections.html

1. Lost players that are cut or not tendered as RFAs and ERFAs do not qualify.

2. Lost players that were picked up during the season the year before do not qualify.

3. Signed players that are released before midseason do not qualify.

4. Players earning low minimum salaries do not qualify.

5. Each player signed cancels out one player lost.

6. The round of the pick awarded is primarily determined by the annual value of the contract signed. Signed players cancel out lost players with equal contracts, then lower contracts, before canceling out higher contracts.

It should be noted that although the NFL admits publicly the basic rules above, NFL teams do not know the exact picks that they will be awarded. They have to make assumptions based upon past history, just as I have done.

Sorry but this IMO is on par with bleacher reports where anyone can be an expert. I trust no site other than a straight NFL source.

luckyseven
04-02-2014, 09:08 PM

I'm not holding my breath and certainly can't wait for it to be over.

Next year I can hear the howling over how other teams got picks and we did not. Or if we do why all of ours are not Third rounders.