PDA

View Full Version : Broncos sign Winston Justice

Denver Native (Carol)
03-28-2014, 02:22 PM
The Denver Broncos have signed offensive tackle Winston Justice to a one-year contrasct.

Justice is in his ninth NFL season.

He has started 43 of 63 games, includint previous stints with the Broncos last season, Indianapolis Colts and Philadelphia Eagles.

He was signed by the Broncos two weeks into last eason after All-Pro left tackle Ryan Clady was placed on injured reserve with a foot injury. Justice saw action in four games for Denver during the regular season and appeared in one playoff game.

rest - http://sports.yahoo.com/news/broncos-sign-winston-justice-185057059--nfl.html

Denver Native (Carol)
03-28-2014, 02:24 PM
A second Bronco free agent has been signed back to the club.

The team re-signed backup offensive tackle Winston Justice to a one-year deal Friday.

Justice gives the Broncos protection in case right tackle Orlando Franklin is moved to left guard in 2014. In that scenario, Justice would compete with Chris Clark for the starting right tackle position.

Clark primarily is a left tackle, but all-pro Ryan Clady returns after missing all but the first two games last season with a torn Lisfranc in his left foot.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25440974/winston-justice-re-signed-by-broncos-one-year

Ziggy
03-28-2014, 02:45 PM
Ok, 2 veteran tackles and backups. Now I'm beginning to wonder if the Broncos aren't considering moving Franklin inside. Not only would it solidify the left side, but it would lessen the cost of re-signing Big O next season.

CoachChaz
03-28-2014, 02:48 PM
Ok, 2 veteran tackles and backups. Now I'm beginning to wonder if the Broncos aren't considering moving Franklin inside. Not only would it solidify the left side, but it would lessen the cost of re-signing Big O next season.

We'd still have to replace RT. Clark isnt much of a run blocker and Justice is pure back up material at this point

Denver Native (Carol)
03-28-2014, 02:54 PM
Cecil Lammey @cecillammey

.@markschlereth says Left Guard is "the best place for Orlando Franklin"
12:37 PM - 24 Mar 2014

Magnificent Seven
03-28-2014, 03:37 PM
It looks like left side will be stronger than right side.

LT CLady LG Franklin C Ramirez RG Vasquez RT Clark

luckyseven
03-28-2014, 05:31 PM

you realize that Franklin will go on the UFA market as a OT not an OG, if he is allowed to leave.

so there would be no savings to the team.

Not sure what this fettish is from everyone about making him an OG is. the guy was a heart beat away from being a pro bowler last year for his play at ORT.

any team looking at him as a FA will be wanting him for OT.

luckyseven
03-28-2014, 05:33 PM
It looks like left side will be stronger than right side.

LT CLady LG Franklin C Ramirez RG Vasquez RT Clark

Clady is not that great a run blocker great at pass protect but running game is not his strong point.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-28-2014, 06:01 PM
It makes sense to move Franklin to guard. He's a mauler, not a ballerina. We're a passing team. It wasn't Clark getting beaten like a mule by a speed rusher in the Super Bowl, it was Franklin. Franklin is a great run blocker but he's only ever been so-so in pass protection. Peyton's ability to get rid of the ball quickly has masked some of big O's deficiencies in that area IMO.

IIRC, Franklin was actually playing guard at Miami when we drafted him and converted him to RT. He'd played some T at the U, but his natural position was G.

nevcraw
03-28-2014, 06:02 PM
they are going to get the best 5 on the field at once.. franklin and clady could end up being the best left side in football. Vasquez was out best OL player lat year. this will be an area of strength and upgrade over 2013.

dogfish
03-28-2014, 06:09 PM
good move, you can never have too many capable, experienced tackles. . . whatever we're looking at past this season, having clark, justice and franklin definitely gives us some options on the O-line for this year. . . i still think there's a good chance we draft a guard on the top two or three rounds, which would give us pretty solid depth with clady coming back. . .

OrangeHoof
03-28-2014, 06:17 PM
No Justice, no peace!

TXBRONC
03-28-2014, 08:13 PM

Justice is a back up and nothing more. Clark as Chaz mentioned is not much of a run blocker. IIRC PFF rated him pretty low the area run blocking.

ShaneFalco
03-28-2014, 08:20 PM
people laughed at me when i said they should resign justice.

The guy is a vet tackle that plays super hardcore. Worth every penny. A great backup at tackle.

Simple Jaded
03-28-2014, 08:50 PM
Not much difference between top paid RT's and top paid G's.

sneakers
03-29-2014, 04:43 AM
good for him

FanInAZ
03-29-2014, 04:48 AM
No Justice, no peace!

Beat me to the punch :D

Ziggy
03-29-2014, 05:33 AM
I'm not saying the moving Franklin to guard is a done deal. I'm saying that it's more of a possibility now than before. I think Elway is continuing to set the team up to take the BPA in the draft. We can roll with the Oline that we have now, or we can draft a guard, center, or tackle and make it all work. Losing Beadles is addition by subtraction IMO. I'd rather have a number of different combinations than what we had last year on the Oline.

LT Clady
LG Franklin
C Ramirez
RG Vasquez
RT Clark/Justice

LT Clady
LG Sua'Filo/Jackson/Yankee/Richardson/Dozier/Thomas
C Ramirez
RG Vasquez
RT Franklin

LT Clady
LG Ramirez
C Swanson/Richburg
RG Vasquez
RT Franklin

......all look better to me than what we had last season.

TXBRONC
03-29-2014, 06:43 AM
I'm not saying the moving Franklin to guard is a done deal. I'm saying that it's more of a possibility now than before. I think Elway is continuing to set the team up to take the BPA in the draft. We can roll with the Oline that we have now, or we can draft a guard, center, or tackle and make it all work. Losing Beadles is addition by subtraction IMO. I'd rather have a number of different combinations than what we had last year on the Oline.

LT Clady
LG Franklin
C Ramirez
RG Vasquez
RT Clark/Justice

LT Clady
C Ramirez
RG Vasquez
RT Franklin

LT Clady
LG Ramirez
C Swanson/Richburg
RG Vasquez
RT Franklin

I don't see them moving Ramirez back to guard.

Simple Jaded
03-29-2014, 10:02 AM
There's still another possibility.

LT - Clady
LG - Franklin
C - Ramirez
RG - Vasquez
RT - Mewhort/Koundjio/Richardson/Henderson

luckyseven
03-29-2014, 12:40 PM

LT Clady
LG Franklin
C Ramirez
RG Vasquez
RT Clark/Justice

LT Clady
C Ramirez
RG Vasquez
RT Franklin

LT Clady
LG Ramirez
C Swanson/Richburg
RG Vasquez
RT Franklin

we have to add two top picks to the OL this year either OC would be my first choice and then either OG or OT to replace Franklin next year IF he hits UFA which is a good possibility with DT and then Von the next year becoming UFA we are going to want to have player in place getting reps for Franklins departure.

luckyseven
03-29-2014, 12:44 PM
I don't see them moving Ramirez back to guard.

why he was OK between a couple of lesser players the first time.

He went in cold after kuper was hurt he played next to IIRC a very raw ORT in Franklin and next tot an aging at best OC in Koppen and then someone else (name escapes me). That is not the way to get your bearings straight.

This time he would be next to an all pro OT and be able to help the rookie center who would be an upgrade over Ramirez IMO.

Simple Jaded
03-29-2014, 12:47 PM
People are talking Richburg at #31, that's a huge reach.

DenBronx
03-29-2014, 01:04 PM
Clark played outstanding at LT last year. He should be just fine at RT. If Franklin does go to LG then all we need to do is draft for depth.

luckyseven
03-29-2014, 01:06 PM
People are talking Richburg at #31, that's a huge reach.

if he is the best OC in the draft why is that?

31 Travis Frederick C Wisconsin Dallas Cowboys
15 Mike Pouncey C Florida Miami Dolphins
48 Stefen Wisniewski C Penn State Oakland Raiders
18 Maurkice Pouncey C Florida Pittsburgh Steelers
21 Alex Mack C California Cleveland Browns
28 Eric Wood C Louisville Buffalo Bills

31 one may be to late for the best OC

Ziggy
03-29-2014, 02:49 PM
There's still another possibility.

LT - Clady
LG - Franklin
C - Ramirez
RG - Vasquez
RT - Mewhort/Koundjio/Richardson/Henderson

True. Add Vinson Painter to that list as well. They signed him to the active roster rather than let him get away to another team late last season. He didn't get any playing time, but the fact that they were willing to cut another player to keep him on the roster tells me that the coaching staff is very high on him.

luckyseven
03-29-2014, 03:03 PM
True. Add Vinson Painter to that list as well. They signed him to the active roster rather than let him get away to another team late last season. He didn't get any playing time, but the fact that they were willing to cut another player to keep him on the roster tells me that the coaching staff is very high on him.

I suspect he is being primed for Franklins spot when he wants more money than he is worth.

Our problems is with OG or more importantly OC. Ramirez is 31 and has played as a starter at that spot less than 16 games. He did well but face it folks he is not the future. He can slide to OG and do as good or better than beadles.

Simple Jaded
03-29-2014, 04:13 PM

Painter is certainly the better athlete, I forgot about him.

Simple Jaded
03-29-2014, 04:15 PM
if he is the best OC in the draft why is that?

31 Travis Frederick C Wisconsin Dallas Cowboys
15 Mike Pouncey C Florida Miami Dolphins
48 Stefen Wisniewski C Penn State Oakland Raiders
18 Maurkice Pouncey C Florida Pittsburgh Steelers
21 Alex Mack C California Cleveland Browns
28 Eric Wood C Louisville Buffalo Bills

31 one may be to late for the best OC

If he's as good as those guys then yeah, but I don't think he is.

luckyseven
03-29-2014, 10:01 PM
If he's as good as those guys then yeah, but I don't think he is.

Hey the great thing is, you do not have to think. That is Johns job.

So far the Johns have put together a pretty good team.

Simple Jaded
03-29-2014, 11:05 PM
Hey the great thing is, you do not have to think. That is Johns job.

So far the Johns have put together a pretty good team.

I have to think in order to form my own opinion, so I think that's where thinking comes in handy.

luckyseven
03-29-2014, 11:09 PM
I have to think in order to form my own opinion, so I think that's where thinking comes in handy.

but on draft day your opinion does not count, nor at any time throughout the year.

Only the Johns do and I think they do not call asking yours as they do not call me about mine..

Simple Jaded
03-29-2014, 11:22 PM
but on draft day your opinion does not count, nor at any time throughout the year.

Only the Johns do and I think they do not call asking yours as they do not call me about mine..

Sorry Tned but if our opinion doesn't matter I'm gonna have to insist that you shut the message board down on draft day.

luckyseven
03-29-2014, 11:32 PM
Sorry Tned but if our opinion doesn't matter I'm gonna have to insist that you shut the message board down on draft day.

never said you can't post about it, just said I doubt that they will be listening.

I will be on the forum during the draft, because I think we will pick someone I have never heard about.

But you will not see a post crying that my guy did not get picked or that he was picked by someone else.

Ravage!!!
03-30-2014, 10:53 AM
Not much difference between top paid RT's and top paid G's.

What is the AVERAGE pay at each position, though? Do you have to be considered TOP guard to get money that is comperable to a good tackle? Because He's ALREADY a good RT, thus would get paid as a good RT.

TXBRONC
03-30-2014, 05:03 PM
why he was OK between a couple of lesser players the first time.

He went in cold after kuper was hurt he played next to IIRC a very raw ORT in Franklin and next tot an aging at best OC in Koppen and then someone else (name escapes me). That is not the way to get your bearings straight.

This time he would be next to an all pro OT and be able to help the rookie center who would be an upgrade over Ramirez IMO.

No Manny did not play very well and no he did come in cold. Kuper ended up hurt in training camp and missed the five or six weeks of the season. Ramirez started in Kuper's place until he returned to the line up against the Chargers in week six season. He was reinserted into the starting line up when Kuper was injured in the game against the Bengals.

Franklin wasn't raw. First of all Franklin was in his second season as a starter. Second, Franklin had started every game as rookie including the playoffs that was 18 games so he was far from raw.

Simple Jaded
03-30-2014, 08:37 PM
What is the AVERAGE pay at each position, though? Do you have to be considered TOP guard to get money that is comperable to a good tackle? Because He's ALREADY a good RT, thus would get paid as a good RT.

http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/average/guard/limit-25/

This link should show that, tho I don't know how accurate it is, you can toggle from G's straight to RT's. Says here that Gosder Cherilus has the highest average for RT's at $7 mil and that 6 G's average more than that. According to this there's 15 G's who average $5 mil or more and only 7 RT's.

Fwiw anyway.

Dzone
03-30-2014, 09:12 PM
How is Clady's recovery going? Can he run on it yet? Is he supposed to be ready for the season? Cant find any information, other than he had a lisfranc injury, like Champ, but champ weighs a lot less than clady. 315-320 lbs is a load for anyones feet. Hope he is gtg by august

edit-found this, old but optimistic http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4616/ryan-clady