PDA

View Full Version : Now Phillips Is Gone

Shazam!
03-27-2014, 04:42 PM
Shaun Phillips is now a Titan -

http://teamstre.am/1lpGZUiShaun Phillips and Titans Agree on 2-Year Contract: Latest Details and Analysis | Bleacher Reportvia ble.ac/teamstream-

After Knowshon today, this sucks.

Timmy!
03-27-2014, 04:44 PM

Except for that it actually doesn't.

Ravage!!!
03-27-2014, 04:46 PM
I would have liked to see Phillips around for depth. He played really well for us last year.

DenBronx
03-27-2014, 04:47 PM
Think it sucks too. We didnt really retain any of our free agents. Before free agency I thought for sure wed sign ONE of the guys out of Phillips, DRC, Moreno, Decker or Woody.

Ravage!!!
03-27-2014, 04:48 PM
Think it sucks too. We didnt really retain any of our free agents. Before free agency I thought for sure wed sign ONE of the guys out of Phillips, DRC, Moreno, Decker or Woody.

DRC was the one we tried to retain, but he held out for more money.... and it bit him in the ass to about the tune of 4-5 million a year.

DenBronx
03-27-2014, 04:49 PM
Would have been a nice insurance plus good depth.

What are the details of his contact?

underrated29
03-27-2014, 04:52 PM
This is great news for comp picks. He said he was not going to come back here again this year, after we signed ware.

Hopefully he got at leas 4 mil....Come on titans, show him the $$$$$$$$$$$$$

BroncoWave
03-27-2014, 04:54 PM
I would have liked to see Phillips around for depth. He played really well for us last year.

3 mil is a lot to pay for depth. (Before you respond with a Knowshon quip, I don't have a big problem with us not bringing him back since Miami paid him 3 mil as well).

BroncoWave
03-27-2014, 04:55 PM
Would have been a nice insurance plus good depth.

What are the details of his contact?

2 years, 6 million. Per Schefter.

DenBronx
03-27-2014, 04:56 PM
This is great news for comp picks. He said he was not going to come back here again this year, after we signed ware.

Hopefully he got at leas 4 mil....Come on titans, show him the $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Really? I didnt know he said that.

Ravage!!!
03-27-2014, 04:59 PM
3 mil is a lot to pay for depth. (Before you respond with a Knowshon quip, I don't have a big problem with us not bringing him back since Miami paid him 3 mil as well).

It always comes down the position being discussed when it comes down to how much you pay for depth. Considering I don't think Miller will be "up to speed" early in the season, I feel that PHillips would have been a more valuable addition. I'm not exactly "upset" .... just a lil "disappointed" considering the need and his play.

underrated29
03-27-2014, 05:00 PM
Really? I didnt know he said that.

I think it was a twitter or an interview not sure...He said something along the lines of he is happy for us and ware. He loves ware and understand us bringing in an all time great. Said he still sees himself as a starter though and wants starter money and basically with ware he would not be a full time starter and that it is hard for himself to envision being back here this year......or something close to that.

BroncoWave
03-27-2014, 05:02 PM
It always comes down the position being discussed when it comes down to how much you pay for depth. Considering I don't think Miller will be "up to speed" early in the season, I feel that PHillips would have been a more valuable addition. I'm not exactly "upset" .... just a lil "disappointed" considering the need and his play.

I read something the other day that said Miller is progressing quicker than expected and is back around his playing weight from 2 years ago. If that report is true, maybe Elway and co are confident that he will be ready to go week 1.

Ravage!!!
03-27-2014, 05:07 PM
I read something the other day that said Miller is progressing quicker than expected and is back around his playing weight from 2 years ago. If that report is true, maybe Elway and co are confident that he will be ready to go week 1.

Maybe...but it would have to be a feat that hasn't been seen in the NFL before for him to be up to speed THAT quickly. Ok, other than Adrian Peterson...who is freak.

Also, when it comes to his weight, that decision to ADD weight was one of need. It wasn't because he was out of shape. Losing weight may not be a permanent one. Plus, just because the reports are that he is "ahead os schedule"...that doesn't really mean much until things are closer to him actually being on the field. I think we hear that from EVERY SINGLE person that is in rehab. They are ALWAYS "ahead of schedule." So I just personally take that at face value.

But I'm sure they are planning on other depth to be back on the defensive side. Wolfe, hopefully (although, I'm not holding my breath on Wolfe. Something serious is up with him, and we may never see him on the field again).

All that being said, you may be absolutely right. I'm just saying that he played well and I personally don't believe Miller will be back that quickly at full speed. But heck, I've been wrong one time before... so who knows?

BroncoWave
03-27-2014, 05:10 PM
I think we hear that from EVERY SINGLE person that is in rehab. They are ALWAYS "ahead of schedule." So I just personally take that at face value.

I think this is kinda a myth. If someone is exactly on schedule and not ahead of it, there is nothing to report, so you only hear anything reported on rehab if someone is ahead of schedule or if there is a setback. Since these guys have the top doctors in the world, you don't hear of too many setbacks.

So I think it just seems like they report that about everyone because there'd be no reason to report anything if they were simply on schedule, so you never hear about those instances.

BroncoWave
03-27-2014, 05:11 PM
But I'm sure they are planning on other depth to be back on the defensive side. Wolfe, hopefully (although, I'm not holding my breath on Wolfe. Something serious is up with him, and we may never see him on the field again).

For whatever it's worth, Wolfe seems to think he is fine now. Hopefully he's right.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10534595/derek-wolfe-denver-broncos-ready-return-football-seizure

BroncoWave
03-27-2014, 05:14 PM
All that being said, you may be absolutely right. I'm just saying that he played well and I personally don't believe Miller will be back that quickly at full speed. But heck, I've been wrong one time before... so who knows?

And if what UR said about Phillips not wanting to come back because we signed Ware is true, then this is all kind of a moot point.

Ravage!!!
03-27-2014, 05:19 PM
For whatever it's worth, Wolfe seems to think he is fine now. Hopefully he's right.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10534595/derek-wolfe-denver-broncos-ready-return-football-seizure

Yeah.. I saw this article. I hope he's 100% right and everythign is cool and good with him because I believe he would/will be a big boon to this defense. Heck, anytime we are getting any of the injured players back onto the field its goingto be BIG deal for that injured defense. But I've always admited that I'm the guy that fears the worst while hoping for the best.

Ravage!!!
03-27-2014, 05:20 PM
And if what UR said about Phillips not wanting to come back because we signed Ware is true, then this is all kind of a moot point.

Yeah.. I hadn't seen that quote fro Phillips (and still haven't)...but if that was the feeling Phillips had then it didn't matter. Not that it matters now, anyway.

BroncoWave
03-27-2014, 05:21 PM
Yeah.. I saw this article. I hope he's 100% right and everythign is cool and good with him because I believe he would/will be a big boon to this defense. Heck, anytime we are getting any of the injured players back onto the field its goingto be BIG deal for that injured defense. But I've always admited that I'm the guy that fears the worst while hoping for the best.

I really like Wolfe too. He seems to always make an impact when he's out there. You have to think our D can't possibly be as snakebitten this year as it was last year.

Ravage!!!
03-27-2014, 05:23 PM
I really like Wolfe too. He seems to always make an impact when he's out there. You have to think our D can't possibly be as snakebitten this year as it was last year.

Damn....you would think.

BroncoWave
03-27-2014, 05:26 PM
This article seems to cover our injuries pretty well. This is good to hear about Rahim too, because there was a question if he'd ever be able to return after almost losing his leg.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2014/3/13/5504562/broncos-injury-update-good-news

OrangeHoof
03-27-2014, 05:31 PM
You figure Ware > Phillips and we can probably add a RB in the middle rounds of the draft to give us the depth we are losing with Moreno. Overall, not a loss although I respect what Moreno did this past season. Second contracts on RBs usually don't turn out as well as hoped.

Shazam!
03-27-2014, 05:46 PM
If Ware goes down, this D is in trouble.

I don't doubt his ability, just his durability.

Phillips would've been a bonus had he been retained.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-27-2014, 05:58 PM
One of Around The League's top-available free agents has a new home.

The Tennessee Titans announced Thursday that they have agreed to terms with former Denver Broncos defensive end Shaun Phillips. NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported that the contract is for two years and worth up to $6 million, The deal includes $2.5 million in guarantees, per Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean.

New coordinator Ray Horton has been seeking a proven edge rusher for his 3-4 defense since losing top target LaMarr Woodley to the Raiders.

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000337560/article/shaun-phillips-tennessee-titans-strike-twoyear-deal

MOtorboat
03-27-2014, 06:01 PM

That was impossible. Phillips wants to be a starter.

nevcraw
03-27-2014, 06:08 PM
Denver will find back up pass rushers after cuts and depth at running back.. Philips was a great addition this year but his productivity can be replaced hopefully by people on the roster and or vet minimum guys like himself last year.
Moreno would have been nice to have back but when you second round pick on a RB he should be starting. Ball will also benefit from second years status and the Peyton manning spread gifts to running backs..
Now let's get a true outside starting CB and Mike and we can celebrate another great on paper team..

Northman
03-27-2014, 06:20 PM
Except for that it actually doesn't.

Yea, im not really worried. Cant keep everybody.

Northman
03-27-2014, 06:26 PM

Its really no different than if Phillips had gone down. But as already pointed out you dont pay a lot of cash for a guy who is projected to be a depth player.

ShaneFalco
03-27-2014, 06:33 PM

i dont. The dude looks like he never makes an impact unless von is on the field.

Would have rather cut wolfe and kept phillips

BroncoWave
03-27-2014, 06:34 PM

Thank god you don't run the team then.

ShaneFalco
03-27-2014, 06:37 PM
ok mr condescending *******.

What has wolfe done that was so great?

Northman
03-27-2014, 06:39 PM

I think you kind of miss the overall point Shane. Wolfe is still young with some potential but he is also much cheaper to keep right now as depth than what it would take to keep Phillips here.

ShaneFalco
03-27-2014, 06:39 PM
I think you kind of miss the overall point Shane. Wolfe is still young with some potential but he is also much cheaper to keep right now as depth than what it would take to keep Phillips here.

Thanks for explaining your point of view instead of being a douche. how old is phillips anyway? 29? i guess that is getting up there, but last season he played like he was 25.

Northman
03-27-2014, 06:44 PM
Thanks for explaining your point of view instead of being a douche. how old is phillips anyway? 29? i guess that is getting up there, but last season he played like he was 25.

Dont get me wrong, he did a great job after we lost Doom but i think he was at least 30-31 but not entirely sure. Either way, with Ware coming in his playing time would of taken a hit (unless Ware got hurt) and i know Shawn would like to be a starter. Cant blame him for wanting to keep his pay scale up and also contributing as a starter elsewhere. In a perfect world it would of been nice to keep all the guy we had but we had to make some tough decisions financially and the players themselves had to do what was best for them.

ShaneFalco
03-27-2014, 06:46 PM
Dont get me wrong, he did a great job after we lost Doom but i think he was at least 30-31 but not entirely sure. Either way, with Ware coming in his playing time would of taken a hit (unless Ware got hurt) and i know Shawn would like to be a starter. Cant blame him for wanting to keep his pay scale up and also contributing as a starter elsewhere. In a perfect world it would of been nice to keep all the guy we had but we had to make some tough decisions financially and the players themselves had to do what was best for them.

that is true, how do you decide when to use him over a healthy Ware and V miller on the edge? I just hope they both are actually healthy for next year.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-27-2014, 06:58 PM
Phillips is 32. Both Phillips and Woodyard to Tennessee - their defense got better

ShaneFalco
03-27-2014, 06:59 PM
damn he played really well for a 31 year old DE.

nevcraw
03-27-2014, 07:17 PM

D Wolfe has his whole career in front of him and missed most of his second season with a serious injury.. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.. This kid has a very high ceiling / proven by a stellar rookie campaign and all the faith by the coaches.

DenBronx
03-27-2014, 10:02 PM
Him and Ware are close in age. Ware is way more explosive though....game changing explosive if he is healthy.

Now that we lost him I wouldnt even mind a DE in round 1 if the right guy is there.

DE, MLB, CB, RB, WR, OL, OL

In that order on draft day.

TXBRONC
03-27-2014, 10:14 PM

http://teamstre.am/1lpGZUiShaun Phillips and Titans Agree on 2-Year Contract: Latest Details and Analysis | Bleacher Reportvia ble.ac/teamstream-

I guess I just don't see it that way. Phillips played but there are other who can fill his role.

Dapper Dan
03-27-2014, 10:14 PM
.. Tennessee - their defense got better

Yup. They're adding some solid players on defense. They also added the OT from Blindside. I wonder who Whisenhunt will start at QB. I think I'll find myself keeping and eye on and cheering for the Titans.

I think they need a uniform/logo update. I've never like that flaming T at all. I kinda wish they just had a big T on their helmets. I wonder when they'll give in and let Nike change it up.

Simple Jaded
03-27-2014, 10:27 PM
i dont. The dude looks like he never makes an impact unless von is on the field.

The don't even play the same position.

MOtorboat
03-27-2014, 10:30 PM
The don't even play the same position.

But dude makes a great point. Wolfe's best contributions last year were in the role of a 3-4 DE with Miller on the field, rather than in the 4-3 alignment they used when Miller was suspended/injured. Wolfe was a force during those wekas, and that's important to this defense.

atwater27
03-27-2014, 10:46 PM
In Q I trust

Simple Jaded
03-27-2014, 11:09 PM
But dude makes a great point. Wolfe's best contributions last year were in the role of a 3-4 DE with Miller on the field, rather than in the 4-3 alignment they used when Miller was suspended/injured. Wolfe was a force during those wekas, and that's important to this defense.

Maybe I misunderstood him, I was just wondering why he'd rather dump one player to keep another when they don't play the same position.

MOtorboat
03-27-2014, 11:11 PM
Maybe I misunderstood him, I was just wondering why he'd rather dump one player to keep another when they don't play the same position.

Wolfe almost played entirely DE last year, but was moved inside when Miller came back and they lined up in a 3-4, 2-4-5 nickel and Phillips moved outside on the opposite side.

Simple Jaded
03-27-2014, 11:20 PM

Wolfe almost played entirely DE last year, but was moved inside when Miller came back and they lined up in a 3-4, 2-4-5 nickel and Phillips moved outside on the opposite side.

I can understand wanting to them to keep Phillips but not getting rid of Wolfe to do so. If Phillips wanted to be a starter he wouldn't be doing it at Wolfe's position in any of those packages.

wcben
03-27-2014, 11:22 PM
What really sucks is we lost Woodyard. He should have been extended, he was the closest thing to an emotional leader the D had.. banking on Dware to pick up those pieces though.

Dzone
03-28-2014, 09:12 AM
We won some and lost some in FA. So far anyway. hate losing phillips, moreno and woodyard...

OrangeHoof
03-28-2014, 09:21 AM
I think we will be seeing more 3-4 this year now that Ware is in town. If healthy, we have the beef up front for a traditional 3-4 line. I think we will see more of Sly Williams this season alongside Knighton and Vickerson. Then our pass rushing will come from Miller and Ware.

TXBRONC
03-28-2014, 09:22 AM

Well he did sign just an one year contract so this was always a possibility no matter what kind of year he had.

artie_dale
03-28-2014, 09:30 AM
Good for Phillips.

tomjonesrocks
03-28-2014, 11:47 AM
So apparently Fox's comments on FAs were a load of shit.

TXBRONC
03-28-2014, 12:12 PM
So apparently Fox's comments on FAs were a load of shit.

What are you referring to?

NightTerror218
03-28-2014, 12:20 PM
Lost philips and got ware.......oh dang. We totally down graded right there.

Don't forget we have miller wolfe and smith returning from injury. We have Malik who been playing well too as DE/DT. Figure if we keep signing for depth other positions will take a hit at depth. How many of these guys can play ST?

Ware, wolfe, smith, malik, miller all play DE or pass rush. We have Williams, Big Vick, unrein , pot roast in the middle. We lost philips and Ayers. Big whoop. They got more playing time because of injuries. I could see a mid to late round DE drafted.

MOtorboat
03-28-2014, 12:41 PM
Lost philips and got ware.......oh dang. We totally down graded right there.

Don't forget we have miller wolfe and smith returning from injury. We have Malik who been playing well too as DE/DT. Figure if we keep signing for depth other positions will take a hit at depth. How many of these guys can play ST?

Ware, wolfe, smith, malik, miller all play DE or pass rush. We have Williams, Big Vick, unrein , pot roast in the middle. We lost philips and Ayers. Big whoop. They got more playing time because of injuries. I could see a mid to late round DE drafted.

Don't worry. I'm sure Joel will be along to tell us how it isn't really an upgrade.

Dzone
03-28-2014, 01:04 PM
Phillips was a terrible head coach. He should have been gone years ago. Good thing he is gone

DenBronx
03-28-2014, 01:33 PM
Im not worried about the aquisitions we got on defense. We upgraded for sure.

Its the loss of the offensive free agents that im more concerned about.

CoachChaz
03-28-2014, 01:42 PM
Im not worried about the aquisitions we got on defense. We upgraded for sure.

Its the loss of the offensive free agents that im more concerned about.

If we score 10 less points per game and give up 7 less per game...we're in pretty good shape

dogfish
03-28-2014, 03:57 PM
almost time to sign will smith to a one-year, vet minimum deal for depth. . .

HORSEPOWER 56
03-28-2014, 05:53 PM
I don't think they'll sign any other FA DEs. I think we're all in with Ware, Wolfe, Jackson, and Smith at DE. I'm thinking they'll draft a guy and probably bring in an UDFA or two for depth but I don't see them bringing in any more vet FAs. I could be wrong, but I think we're all but done with free agency at this point.

dogfish
03-28-2014, 06:02 PM
I don't think they'll sign any other FA DEs. I think we're all in with Ware, Wolfe, Jackson, and Smith at DE. I'm thinking they'll draft a guy and probably bring in an UDFA or two for depth but I don't see them bringing in any more vet FAs. I could be wrong, but I think we're all but done with free agency at this point.

there will still be some depth signings. . . JFE hasn't found this year's version of sean philips or keith brooking yet. . .

:D :defense:

HORSEPOWER 56
03-28-2014, 06:05 PM
there will still be some depth signings. . . JFE hasn't found this year's version of sean philips or keith brooking yet. . .

You're probably right, but those are closer to TC signings once all the higher priced guys have been picked over. I don't see Smith as a guy who'll take a bargain contract.

dogfish
03-28-2014, 06:11 PM
You're probably right, but those are closer to TC signings once all the higher priced guys have been picked over. I don't see Smith as a guy who'll take a bargain contract.

so you think he'll retire? a bargain contract is all he can get. . . he's an older guy coming off a season lost to injury, and all the real money's already dried up. . .

TXBRONC
03-28-2014, 08:06 PM
If we score 10 less points per game and give up 7 less per game...we're in pretty good shape

Damn straight.

TXBRONC
03-28-2014, 08:08 PM

I would not be surprised to see Denver draft a defensive end or defensive tackle as well as a wide receiver.

Simple Jaded
03-28-2014, 08:13 PM
Don't worry. I'm sure Joel will be along to tell us how it isn't really an upgrade.

But Ware is the ProBowl free agent they couldn't sign because Manning's $20 mil, Joel has a dilemma.

Cugel
04-02-2014, 11:54 AM
DRC was the one we tried to retain, but he held out for more money.... and it bit him in the ass to about the tune of 4-5 million a year.

Actually it didn't. Five years, $39 million, and the Giants offered more up front money, which is they only money that's real in the NFL. The last years of the back weighted contract will NEVER be earned by the player. When it comes time to pay that money, the team will tell the player "we need to re-negotiate" or they will release the player.

So, although the Giants offer was lower on it's face, in terms of REAL money it was more, which is why DRC took that deal and turned down Denver's.

Cugel
04-02-2014, 11:59 AM
BTW: It is an upgrade to Ward from DRC, but only because Ward is a better sure-handed tackler in run support. As for pure cover CBs they are roughly equal.

The Giants plan to have new CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie shadow No. 1 receivers.
DRC won't be playing "sides" in the Big Apple. "Are you the best receiver (on your) team?," coach Tom Coughlin asked rhetorically. "(DRC's) following you then. ... He's physical enough. When you watch him closely, he doesn't shy away." The G-Men paid DRC No. 1 cornerback money, and plan to utilize him like one. They just have to hope the DRC of 2013, and not 2011-12, shows up this season.

That's exactly how you use DRC. Have him shadow the other team's #1 WR all over the field. He's a top 5 CB if he plays like 2013. And there's no reason why he wouldn't unless he just decides to take a nose dive for no apparent reason.

But there's no question Ward is more physical. The problem is that losing DRC means the Broncos still don't have an adequate replacement as their #3 CB since Champ Bailey's gone. And NO! Sylvester Williams does not count. I'd say at this point he's maybe "adequate." Chris Harris was a top slot CB but he's moving outside to the #2 spot (deservedly). Can anybody say that Williams is that?

NO, I didn't think so. :coffee:

Cugel
04-02-2014, 12:03 PM

I think they might pick up a replacement for Ayers, but the areas they need most are OL (backup guard because right now they still don't have a ton of depth) and LB where there are openings since they let Woodyard walk.

It should be possible for them to find a reserve LB somewhere this summer.

CoachChaz
04-02-2014, 12:05 PM
When did Williams move to CB?

Bosco
04-02-2014, 12:21 PM
Malik Jackson can do everything Phillips could do for cheaper, plus we should see production from Quanterus (sp?) Smith this year.

Northman
04-02-2014, 12:28 PM
BTW: It is an upgrade to Ward from DRC, but only because Ward is a better sure-handed tackler in run support. As for pure cover CBs they are roughly equal.

:coffee:

Uh, Ward is a safety, not CB.

Northman
04-02-2014, 12:30 PM
When did Williams move to CB?

Any takers that Cugal has been sniffing the same glue that Chop did? All of a sudden we have players playing different positions on this team. :lol:

TXBRONC
04-02-2014, 05:08 PM
Any takers that Cugal has been sniffing the same glue that Chop did? All of a sudden we have players playing different positions on this team. :lol:

Maybe they'll move Talib to running back. :D