PDA

View Full Version : Why Peyton Manning Had To Be Talked Into Getting Salary Bigger Than Brady's

DenBronx
03-26-2014, 10:06 PM
In this era of supersize contracts and supersize egos, rare is it the case that a player refuses to accept more money than he thinks he's worth.

As if Peyton Manning hasn't already carved out his place as one of the classiest pros around, a new story regarding his salary negotiations should reinforce his stellar reputation.

Manning's agent, Tom Condon, relayed to Andrew Brandt of MMQB a fascinating and revealing tale about Manning's free agency two years ago.

Manning, you'll remember, had missed the 2011 season after undergoing career-threatening neck surgery. Even he wasn't sure how his body would respond on the gridiron. Still, the four-time NFL MVP had plenty of suitors, and after selecting Denver he was in for a mega-deal. Condon thought Manning could command $25 million a year, making him one of the highest paid athletes in the world. Manning, however, had other plans

READ FULL ARTICLE HERE:
http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201403/how-broncos-quarterback-peyton-mannings-modesty-cost-him-millions-salary

Dapper Dan
03-26-2014, 10:39 PM
Damn. I just read this and was about to post it.

FanInAZ
03-26-2014, 10:54 PM
So his wife made him do it :lol:

Dzone
03-26-2014, 11:07 PM
Ya, I read this earlier and was highly impressed. Was hoping someone would post a thread. The legend of PFM just grows and grows

Buff
03-26-2014, 11:22 PM
This is kind of a silly story considering he took the money... It's like we're so in love with Manning that we want to give him credit for being altruistic even in instances when he really isn't. He still took the money.

luckyseven
03-26-2014, 11:28 PM
Tom Condon relayed the fascinating and humorous story of Peyton Manning’s free agency. With 12 teams interested, Condon licked his chops, anticipating a certain record-breaking deal. Manning, however, was in charge; he would make four visits and then decide. Now down to four instead of twelve teams, Condon was disappointed but still confident in a megadeal. Manning, however, said he wanted to pick the team first, before any negotiations would ensue, meaning Condon was now down to one team to negotiate with. And when Manning picked Denver, he simply asked Condon:

“What does Tom Brady make?”

“$18 million a year.”

“Then I don’t want to make a penny more than that.”

Condon’s visions of a $25 million a year deal were dashed, although the Broncos’ opening offer was $19.4 million a year. Condon phoned to tell Manning, who was incensed:

“I told you I didn’t want to make more than Brady!”

Condon apologized, hung up and called Manning’s wife, who responded, “I’ll take care of it,” and coaxed Manning to accept the Broncos’ offer.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/03/25/nfl-owners-meetings-primer/

Simple Jaded
03-26-2014, 11:39 PM
So when Denver needs Manning to restructure they know who to talk to. . . His wife.

DenBronx
03-26-2014, 11:43 PM
I think Manning could have made more then what we paid him with another team.

He is well worth what he makes.

Dapper Dan
03-26-2014, 11:48 PM
3/20/2012: Signed a five-year, $96 million contract. The deal includes $18 million guaranteed -- Manning's 2012 base salary. The guarantees can rise to $60 million (Manning's 2013-2014 base salaries) if he passes a physical on March 13 of 2013 (He did). Manning's fourth-year salary becomes guaranteed if on roster at end of year three, and his fifth-year salary becomes guaranteed if on roster at end of year four. 2014: $15 million, 2015-2016: $19 million, 2017: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1493/peyton-manning

I'm not sure how it's set up exactly, but according to Roto, he'll make $15 million this season.

luckyseven
03-26-2014, 11:48 PM
So when Denver needs Manning to restructure they know who to talk to. . . His wife.

Morgan Stanley

luckyseven
03-26-2014, 11:51 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1493/peyton-manning

I'm not sure how it's set up exactly, but according to Roto, he'll make $15 million this season.
Actual cap value. 17.5. since he got a 10 million dollar advance it is prorated over 4 years.

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Broncos&Year=2014

OrangeHoof
03-26-2014, 11:55 PM
Dude probably doubles his income in endorsements.

DenBronx
03-26-2014, 11:57 PM
Papa Johns, Buick, Broncos salary and whatever else he does. Yeah we could say he's well taken care of.

Money isn't Mannings motivation. Winning is. Would love to see him go out on top!

luckyseven
03-27-2014, 12:01 AM
Papa Johns, Buick, Broncos salary and whatever else he does. Yeah we could say he's well taken care of.

Money isn't Mannings motivation. Winning is. Would love to see him go out on top!

In that quote I posted that was evident.

He and his family really do not need more money.
For the brothers it is just records and rings now.

topscribe
03-27-2014, 12:54 AM
This is kind of a silly story considering he took the money... It's like we're so in love with Manning that we want to give him credit for being altruistic even in instances when he really isn't. He still took the money.
Dude is evil! EVIL, I say!

Dapper Dan
03-27-2014, 01:04 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cONmzaT4x10

Dzone
03-27-2014, 01:59 AM
Who says this is a non story?..,obviously MMQB thinks otherwise. Im glad some piss in the corn flakes type thinker isnt the editor at MMQB.

Northman
03-27-2014, 05:39 AM

Agreed.

Buff
03-27-2014, 07:25 AM

"He didn't even want this money, you guys, his wife made him take it," is just kind of silly and naive. We're talking about PFM here. He's kind of letting his wife play bad cop.

Mike
03-27-2014, 08:43 AM
"He didn't even want this money, you guys, his wife made him take it," is just kind of silly and naive. We're talking about PFM here. He's kind of letting his wife play bad cop.

I don't doubt that he told his agent to get a contract simliar to Brady's. Having to twist his arm to take a little more....yeah, I doubt that. None of that negatively reflects on Manning, just not buying the story as told. I would love to see him win another SB though, even if he weren't a Bronco. Unless it was against the Broncos. Good role models are getting harder to come by in pro sports.

topscribe
03-27-2014, 10:01 AM
I don't know...he wouldn't be the first man who is afraid of his wife . . . :couch:

OB
03-27-2014, 02:53 PM
Greedy bitch his wife is :coffee:

OB
03-27-2014, 04:03 PM
Seriously though they are making a HUGE deal out of this in the media right now - dang dudes jump off Peytons jock already

Dapper Dan
03-27-2014, 04:38 PM
Seriously though they are making a HUGE deal out of this in the media right now - dang dudes jump off Peytons jock already

Does that bother you?

OB
03-27-2014, 05:53 PM
Does that bother you?

Actually yes. I hate media super hype. It's annoying. In any situation. Not just this specifically. I get irritated when the media just over kills everything.

luckyseven
03-27-2014, 08:13 PM
Actually yes. I hate media super hype. It's annoying. In any situation. Not just this specifically. I get irritated when the media just over kills everything.

Got to remember these media types have to file stories and the owners meetings are media frenzies.

OB
03-27-2014, 08:32 PM
Got to remember these media types have to file stories and the owners meetings are media frenzies.

I understand why they do it. Doesn't make me tolerate it any more :)

Dapper Dan
03-27-2014, 09:48 PM
So are we saying people are talking too positive about Peyton Manning and it needs to stop? We don't want the people mislead into thinking Peyton Manning is nicer than he really is.

Buff
03-27-2014, 09:57 PM
So are we saying people are talking too positive about Peyton Manning and it needs to stop? We don't want the people mislead into thinking Peyton Manning is nicer than he really is.

Everyone knows Manning is nice... But this could easily be re-written as an Onion article about how Peyton thought about taking less money and therefore he deserves our praise.

luckyseven
03-27-2014, 11:08 PM
Everyone knows Manning is nice... But this could easily be re-written as an Onion article about how Peyton thought about taking less money and therefore he deserves our praise.

Pretty sure it was a story that he did not want out, or it would have been published two years ago.