PDA

View Full Version : "It rubbed me the wrong way” Wesley Woodyard on his benching by Jack Del Rio

DenBronx
03-26-2014, 03:33 PM
Wesley Woodyard began last season for the Broncos as a team captain and starting middle linebacker. He was a captain for a reason, a key cog in Denver’s run toward the Super Bowl.

Then he got benched. Woodyard, a full-time starter all of 2012 and half of 2013, suddenly was a substitute, a nickel package linebacker.

Then, earlier this month, Woodyard signed a free-agent deal with Tennessee.

READ FULL ARTICLE HERE:
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2014/03/25/rubbed-wrong-way-wesley-woodyard-benching-jack-del-rio/26790/#ooid=x1b3FkbDpmHiebCPgaUkfEWBx3ytknKr

Northman
03-26-2014, 03:41 PM
I couldnt listen to the video but all of a sudden he has all the answers to what we should of done defensively in the SB? Bwhahahahahahahahahahahaha

Dont quit your day job kid. I like you, dont make me resent you just because you got your own ass benched.

DenBronx
03-26-2014, 03:48 PM
Seems like the Broncos told Wesley to rest up those last 4 games of regular season so he could be ready for the playoffs. However once he was healthy that wasn't the case. Del Rio decided to just stick with Paris Lenon at MLB.

Tells me two things. A.) Woodys out of position at MLB and B.) The Broncos didnt think he was better at MLB than Lenon.

ShaneFalco
03-26-2014, 04:37 PM
never liked del rio, just confirms it more for me.

Ravage!!!
03-26-2014, 04:59 PM
Because he played a player he felt was the better player? Coaches do that all the time, and NO player likes to be benched. Wes jsut didn't like to be benched, but he can't be blaming the COACHES for that. He needs to accept the fact that it waS His play that got him replaced.

Dapper Dan
03-26-2014, 05:37 PM
Jack Del Dumbass running our players out of town.

DenBronx
03-26-2014, 05:41 PM
never liked del rio, just confirms it more for me.

Jack Del Dumbass running our players out of town.

Nope, not the case guys. The best players are going to play. Danny T was out performing Woody. There was nowhere else really to go for Wesley especially since he was a free agent. We went with the cheaper, more upside option with Danny T. Had Wesley transitioned to MLB and made an impact he would still be a Bronco, there's no doubt in my mind about that.

You guys really think Del Rio is the only guy who makes these decisions? What does John Fox do?

ShaneFalco
03-26-2014, 05:47 PM
I just dont like the guy, never have.

Ravage!!!
03-26-2014, 05:48 PM
You guys really think Del Rio is the only guy who makes these decisions? What does John Fox do?

and Elway. Elway has taken the feedback from the coaches, (HC, DC, and position Coaches).. and knows what players the coaches see as the better players. Woodyard was REPLACED last year with guys already on this roster. Elway isn't going to turn around and pay him to be a starter. Woodyard was a likeable guy apparently, and seemed to be a fan favorite. But the reality is (and its not a bad thing)... the coaches like the other LBs on the roster better. To me, that's a good sign.

BroncoWave
03-26-2014, 05:49 PM
Boo-hoo. Play better and you won't lose your spot.

luckyseven
03-26-2014, 05:50 PM
Seems like the Broncos told Wesley to rest up those last 4 games of regular season so he could be ready for the playoffs. However once he was healthy that wasn't the case. Del Rio decided to just stick with Paris Lenon at MLB.

Tells me two things. A.) Woodys out of position at MLB and B.) The Broncos didnt think he was better at MLB than Lenon.

I loved WW as WLB, but he simply is not BIG enough to handle the MLB spot and all of the abuse it takes. he did a good job subbing in at first and once DT took his WLB spot it was matter of time.

a great leader from day one but now sounds like a whinny baby.

You got a decent bump in pay two years ago and now it is time to move on.

As for JDR a former All Pro LB, a coach for several decades I'll take his position on LBs any day of the week.

BroncoWave
03-26-2014, 05:50 PM
and Elway. Elway has taken the feedback from the coaches, (HC, DC, and position Coaches).. and knows what players the coaches see as the better players. Woodyard was REPLACED last year with guys already on this roster. Elway isn't going to turn around and pay him to be a starter. Woodyard was a likeable guy apparently, and seemed to be a fan favorite. But the reality is (and its not a bad thing)... the coaches like the other LBs on the roster better. To me, that's a good sign.

Yeah, I love the fact that the coaches have the balls to bench a guy who isn't playing well even if he is a leader and a fan favorite. Sucks for him, but that's the business of football.

ShaneFalco
03-26-2014, 05:52 PM
i lost my spot at OLB once, cause coach grimes wanted me to play RB/ FB because of my brother. I hated playing offense tho. But then i got my spot back at on D, nothing feels better then a pick 6! For some reason, i loved covering tight ends.

Another life story from ShaneFalco

BroncoWave
03-26-2014, 05:56 PM
For some reason, i loved covering tight ends.

I bet you did!

luckyseven
03-26-2014, 05:56 PM

Bet you can go back to his first few years and you would see how many times fans wanted him cut because he was not a starter. just dead wood on the roster taking up space someone else could use.

He was a good replacement for Anderson when he was hurt, played very well on STs. then DT came in a played even better at WLB and that made WW available as a stop gap at MLB.

he simply was not worth the money he wanted, to stay as a backup to DT.

Dapper Dan
03-26-2014, 06:45 PM
Boo-hoo. Play better and you won't lose your spot.

Dang. You're so hardcore.

Northman
03-26-2014, 06:48 PM
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s252/big_will_423/other%20reactions/BRTky.jpg

topscribe
03-26-2014, 06:56 PM
Because he played a player he felt was the better player? Coaches do that all the time, and NO player likes to be benched. Wes jsut didn't like to be benched, but he can't be blaming the COACHES for that. He needs to accept the fact that it waS His play that got him replaced.
Yep. As Coach Fox has said, the PLAYERS decide who plays and who doesn't . . .

DenBronx
03-26-2014, 07:06 PM

Then fans get all emotional and butthurt becauase their favorite player couldnt cut the mustard.

topscribe
03-26-2014, 07:15 PM
Then fans get all emotional and butthurt becauase their favorite player couldnt cut the mustard.
Yes, but Woody is very popular and for good reason. He's a good guy, and he's
done a lot for the team and for the community. It's a time of sadness for me,
too, to see a quality person such as he to leave the team . . .

luckyseven
03-26-2014, 08:15 PM
Yes, but Woody is very popular and for good reason. He's a good guy, and he's
done a lot for the team and for the community. It's a time of sadness for me,
too, to see a quality person such as he to leave the team . . .

Yes he was

But do you think he should be kept because he is a nice guy?

If so who are you going to cut to keep him?

spikerman
03-26-2014, 08:34 PM
Yes he was

How about playing ShaneFalco? I hear he's a pretty good linebacker.

topscribe
03-26-2014, 08:34 PM
Yes he was

I didn't say they should keep him. I just said it was sad to see him go.

Dapper Dan
03-26-2014, 09:13 PM

So he decided to bench himself?

Dzone
03-26-2014, 09:14 PM
Woodyard lost his job based on his performance. Sad but true. Happens all the time. Disgruntled ex employees are a dime a dozen. They usually blame their firing on someone else

DenBronx
03-26-2014, 09:34 PM
Any player who cares about the game is going to have pride involved. I liked Woodyard but sadly his performance wasn't as good as Danny T nor could he play MLB. Had we never got Trevathan then I am sure Woodyard would still be a Bronco because he is a decent player. But there is no way we were going to pay him the money he wanted to be a backup WLB.

Dapper Dan
03-26-2014, 09:38 PM
If Woodyard is in Denver and Del Rio was in USC, this thread would be very different.

DenBronx
03-26-2014, 10:13 PM
If John Fox was still in Carolina then I'm sure this thread would be differant as well if we're using that kind of logic.

Dapper Dan
03-26-2014, 10:27 PM
If John Fox was still in Carolina then I'm sure this thread would be different as well if we're using that kind of logic.

My point was, people would take up for Woodyard and not Del Rio in my scenario.

topscribe
03-26-2014, 10:37 PM
I don't understand that scenario. If JDR wasn't here, wouldn't Denver still have
a DC? Wouldn't people still have opinions, and some of them side with the DC?

Having said that, my stand is that, above anything, JDR wants to field the best
defense possible and to win games. He's going to put the player out there who
is performing the best at his position. That is what happened to Woody: He
was being outplayed at Mike, bottom line. He was let go because he is a
natural Will, and the Broncos already have a better one playing there. Woody's
only shot was at Mike, and he didn't cut it there, else he would have resumed
his starting job last year, and he would still be there this year.

I don't think there is anything here that one can argue with. I'm a big fan of
Woody's, and I do so wish he could have earned the opportunity to stay here.
But he didn't, so, saddened as I am, I have to agree with how it came down.

Dapper Dan
03-26-2014, 10:42 PM
I don't understand that scenario any more than I understand personal attacks.
If JDR wasn't here, wouldn't Denver still have a DC? Wouldn't people still have
their opinions, and some of them side with the DC?

I edited that while you were posting this. After I thought about it, I thought it was rude.

luckyseven
03-26-2014, 10:47 PM

so let me get this straight fans know more about line backing than a former NFL LB, that was all pro for several years. who was a defensive coach for more than a decade and HC for 8 or so years?

if they do they are not very smart.

I also doubt that Fox would allow it

Pretty sure that Elway just decided to not resign him, with out the eye test and chats with all of the coaches as well as talking with his agent to get his ideas on what it would take to keep him as a backup.

Dapper Dan
03-26-2014, 10:48 PM
so let me get this straight fans know more about line backing than a former NFL LB, that was all pro for several years. who was a defensive coach for more than a decade and HC for 8 or so years?

if they do they are not very smart.

I also doubt that Fox would allow it

Pretty sure that Elway just decided to not resign him, with out the eye test and chats with all of the coaches as well as talking with his agent to get his ideas on what it would take to keep him as a backup.

When did I say fans were smarter than Del Rio?

Dapper Dan
03-26-2014, 10:50 PM
After watching the video just now, I think he was rubbed the wrong way because he was lied to. JDR said they were resting Woodyard. Then when he was healthy, he said he liked the defense the way it was. Seriously, who here would be fine with that? I wouldn't like my boss doing me that way. It would rub me the wrong way.

luckyseven
03-26-2014, 11:17 PM
When did I say fans were smarter than Del Rio?

Quote Originally Posted by dbfan2007 View Post

maybe you did not in so many words but why would someone take up for Woody if they did not think they knew something that JDR did not?

Dapper Dan
03-26-2014, 11:46 PM
maybe you did not in so many words but why would someone take up for Woody if they did not think they knew something that JDR did not?

Because most fans are homers. Many fans trash players that go on to other teams. They assume the player should stay in Denver or retire. If they retire, you aren't allowed to say anything bad about them.

DenBronx
03-26-2014, 11:48 PM
So Woody got outplayed at WLB and MLB yet somehow it's Del Rios fault?

He got outplayed in not just one but two positions.

luckyseven
03-26-2014, 11:55 PM
Because most fans are homers. Many fans trash players that go on to other teams. They assume the player should stay in Denver or retire. If they retire, you aren't allowed to say anything bad about them.
Would that not also apply to a damned fine Coach?

A fan should be a fan, not just in good times.

Sounds like you are saying most fans are only fans of a player and not the team.

luckyseven
03-26-2014, 11:58 PM

He was like a terroir with small dog syndrome, they think they BIG dogs but get their asses kicked in big dog fights.

woody was a great WLB who priced himself out of a job. We got a better guy for less, that is until it is time for his rookie contract to expire then it is rinse and repeat.

Dapper Dan
03-26-2014, 11:58 PM
Would that not also apply to a damned fine Coach?

A fan should be a fan, not just in good times.

Sounds like you are saying most fans are only fans of a player and not the team.

Yes. That does apply to the coach. By what I've said, fans are fans of the team. That's the homer part. I'm not sure how you got mixed up in my comments.

If X is still with the team, fans will usually cheer for X. If Y goes to another team, fans will be more inclined to trash Y. Of course, there are examples that show otherwise, such as poor characters.

Dapper Dan
03-27-2014, 12:00 AM

No. It's not Del Rio's fault that Woodyard got "outplayed".

Do you not feel Alex Smith got rubbed the wrong way by the Niners? It's the same thing. Should Alex Smith have stayed in San Fran and worked to have gotten better than Kap?

luckyseven
03-27-2014, 12:03 AM
Yes. That does apply to the coach. By what I've said, fans are fans of the team. That's the homer part. I'm not sure how you got mixed up in my comments.

If X is still with the team, fans will usually cheer for X. If Y goes to another team, fans will be more inclined to trash Y. Of course, there are examples that show otherwise, such as poor characters.

I understood it to be woody vs JDR. Sorry.

You are correct woody will be thrashed because he chose to go elsewhere and not bend over in Denver.

Well perhaps not that harsh but it is not JdRs fault he left it was money.

DenBronx
03-27-2014, 04:06 AM

No. It's not Del Rio's fault that Woodyard got "outplayed".

Do you not feel Alex Smith got rubbed the wrong way by the Niners? It's the same thing. Should Alex Smith have stayed in San Fran and worked to have gotten better than Kap?

Kap beat out Smith for the job though. No need to stay when Kap was better. Clearly SF staff thought that way too. Smith had no choice.

Buff
03-27-2014, 09:30 AM
Woodyard got benched because his play wasn't effective enough. And he didn't like being benched. That's the story here.

Ravage!!!
03-27-2014, 09:53 AM
I don't understand that scenario. If JDR wasn't here, wouldn't Denver still have
a DC? Wouldn't people still have opinions, and some of them side with the DC?

Good post, top.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-27-2014, 08:15 PM
Woodyard was a key part of the Broncos' pass defense during the 2012 season, but he found his role reduced during the second half of the 2013 season. That was partially because of his performance in a greater role, but also because he didn't appear to be fully healthy.

When he was healthy in 2012, Woodyard was arguably the best cover linebacker in the NFL.

The Titans are obviously betting that the soon-to-be 28-year-old will return to his previous form in Tennessee. Woodyard is considered an inside linebacker, but his athleticism and awareness allow him to be effective from a variety of positions.

Ray Horton, the Titans' new defensive coordinator, doesn't have a very rigid approach to positions and stereotypical player skill sets that fit those positions. Horton is the kind of coach who will find a player's talent and try to put him in a spot to best show it off.

rest - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2005338-why-new-titans-lb-wesley-woodyard-will-be-one-of-free-agencys-biggest-steals

Jsteve01
03-28-2014, 11:40 PM
Wood played well until the injury and the Broncos defensive output declined pretty dramatically after he was hurt.

JPPT1974
03-29-2014, 12:45 AM
Hopefully that Woodyard will revive his career in TN. Good luck!

Simple Jaded
03-29-2014, 12:09 PM
Woodyard got benched, but more accurately, he got Wallie Pipped and THEN benched. Imo, if Trevathon wasn't playing so well Woodyard might still be a Bronco, he most definitely would not have been benched after his stint at MLB didn't pan out.

I could be wrong and moving Woodyard to MLB was an excuse to get Trevathon in the starting lineup, but Woodyard had really started to establish himself as a player at WLB.

luckyseven
03-29-2014, 12:50 PM
Woodyard got benched, but more accurately, he got Wallie Pipped and THEN benched. Imo, if Trevathon wasn't playing so well Woodyard might still be a Bronco, he most definitely would not have been benched after his stint at MLB didn't pan out.

I could be wrong and moving Woodyard to MLB was an excuse to get Trevathon in the starting lineup, but Woodyard had really started to establish himself as a player at WLB.

They knew taht a big pay day was coming for Woody this spring and thought that DT had the makings of a fine WLB, he showed flashes the year before and proved them right.

Until woody went down he was playign good there but was out matched by OL types that out weighed him by 60-90 pounds, that flat is wear and tear on his smaller frame. he was a nice pacth job but face it unless he would have been able to put on an additional 25-40 pounds and still be effective he life expectancy at MLB was limited at best.

I loved him while he was here, but he had to know he would be a backup at best and take that kind of money had he stayed.

Simple Jaded
03-29-2014, 04:10 PM
They knew taht a big pay day was coming for Woody this spring and thought that DT had the makings of a fine WLB, he showed flashes the year before and proved them right.

Until woody went down he was playign good there but was out matched by OL types that out weighed him by 60-90 pounds, that flat is wear and tear on his smaller frame. he was a nice pacth job but face it unless he would have been able to put on an additional 25-40 pounds and still be effective he life expectancy at MLB was limited at best.

I loved him while he was here, but he had to know he would be a backup at best and take that kind of money had he stayed.

He's a good starter, just not in Denver. I'm curious about playing in Tenn's 3-4 too, I'm not sure where he fits.

luckyseven
03-29-2014, 09:58 PM
He's a good starter, just not in Denver. I'm curious about playing in Tenn's 3-4 too, I'm not sure where he fits.

Captain of special teams.

I'd guess he will be ILB. As he is not big enough to rush frm the outside nor is he great in coverage.

I do wish him well.

silkamilkamonico
03-31-2014, 07:40 PM
I never thought much of Woodward as a full time starter at any position and wont miss him. Denver will be better off.