PDA

View Full Version : Draft Day - The Movie?

OrangeHoof
03-26-2014, 12:16 PM
I suppose if you can make a movie about Moneyball, you can make a movie about the NFL draft. From the promos, it looks like Kevin Costner will be the lead character but I hope there's a role for Tom Cruise to return as a semi-sleazy sports agent who yells "show me the money".

I also hope they have a scene where Costner is watching film and keeps repeating 'back and to the left, back and to the left" as he's critiquing a o-line prospect.

Who/what would you like to see in the movie besides a scene of Goodell saying "And here to announce the last pick of the first round, the Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos, is Hall-of-Fame running back Terrell Davis..."

MileHighCrew
03-26-2014, 12:23 PM
I'm actually excited to see this movie, but I am a sucker for sports movies

underrated29
03-26-2014, 12:31 PM
Im excited for it as well. I love the draft. The entire things fascinates me. Its why I do fantasy football (well and the money too)....I love the draft. The research, the ability to outsmart your opponents, out bid them and all of the red herrings about prospects along the way. It is imo the only real way to get to be as close to a GM/Owner whatever, without actually being one.

I would pay big $$$$ just to be able to sit in the war room (with any club) and just witness and see and hear everything that is going on. Kind of like the people who get to ride a zamboni.....I wouldnt be able to do anything or interact or provide opinions, but to just be there, the fly on the wall. Id love it.

So, I am very excited for this movie too. I think it is going to let me down, but I still want to see it. As for parts, I do not care what parts they have in it.

Devilspawn
03-26-2014, 12:45 PM
I know I'll enjoy it since I revolve my vacations around the Draft. I've watched every single aired minute of it for the last decade plus.

NFL Films did a great job with the Elway to Marino and Brady 6 documentaries which both could be movies. Even the 2004 class.

OrangeHoof
03-26-2014, 06:03 PM
I used to get vacation time for the NFL draft but when they expanded to three days I said "f---this". Doing rounds 1-3 on Saturday and 4-7 on Sunday was really cool. Doing the first round on Thursday night is such a waste.

ShaneFalco
03-26-2014, 06:10 PM
i cried after watching Jerry Mcquire a couple nights ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of73UiXUvjA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5efqTACImw

wcben
03-26-2014, 06:42 PM
I used to get vacation time for the NFL draft but when they expanded to three days I said "f---this". Doing rounds 1-3 on Saturday and 4-7 on Sunday was really cool. Doing the first round on Thursday night is such a waste.

I completely agree the old draft was perfect for a super fan. We could enjoy the afternoon without being under constant assault from advertisements but still talk football... now it's borderline unwatchable, especially after that year we watched for 2 ******* hours then traded out of the first rd Lmao c'mon man.

As for the film.. ehh I'll wait for DVD. If it's not visually astounding I can't help but feel ripped off leaving the cinema after they nickel and dime the piss out of ya

Dapper Dan
03-26-2014, 06:48 PM
Kevin Costner is pretty awesome.

aberdien
03-26-2014, 08:11 PM
I think the movie looks like it will be terrible, but I can see myself watching it sometime.

OrangeHoof
03-26-2014, 09:19 PM
Hey, I sat through "Any Given Sunday". I can handle bad sports movies.

Dzone
03-26-2014, 09:21 PM
Kevin Costner is pretty awesome.
His new hair transplant has probably helped, but I think he should have just gone bald

Dzone
03-26-2014, 09:26 PM
Hey, I sat through "Any Given Sunday". I can handle bad sports movies.
Oh man, that was brutal. Al Pacino as a football coach, now that was just too fake. I guess the locker room speech was okay, but the rest was utterly dreadful

ShaneFalco
03-26-2014, 09:59 PM
hey, i sat through "any given sunday". I can handle bad sports movies.

what! That movie is great!

Brown: I DONT GET STROKES MOTHER******, I GIVE THEM.

But seriously best football movie.

The Replacements. Footsteps Falco is greatest fictional qb of all time.

Dapper Dan
03-26-2014, 10:01 PM
I didn't think Any Given Sunday was so bad. :whoknows:

Dapper Dan
03-26-2014, 10:02 PM
I really like Varsity Blues. It's hilarious.

ShaneFalco
03-26-2014, 10:04 PM
http://grizzlybomb.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/020510_replacements.jpg

ah the glory days when i was still playing with my washington sentinels.

ShaneFalco
03-26-2014, 10:05 PM
I really like Varsity Blues. It's hilarious.

you only like varisty blues because of this

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_b_fNAfbOkzw/TH7-6ft7dII/AAAAAAAAB8c/6rzW3PFfsyc/s1600/wcb.jpg

still a good reason

Dapper Dan
03-26-2014, 10:07 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_b_fNAfbOkzw/TH7-6ft7dII/AAAAAAAAB8c/6rzW3PFfsyc/s1600/wcb.jpg

still a good reason

Girl - Costs a lotta money to look that cheap.

Mox - She's pretty sharp. She pulls As.

Girl - That ain't all she pulls.

FanInAZ
03-26-2014, 11:35 PM
I started watching "The Replacements" a few months back, but I lost interest & changed the channel during the scene of their 1st practice. Right before that, when the replacements where going through the gauntlet of angry regulars, I had a flashback to the '87 strike that the movie was a fictional account of. It was a video of Chiefs QB, Todd Blackledge, patrolling the picket line in the back of a truck holding a shotgun.

After reading the little debate about "Any Given Sunday," I decided to see if I could watch it on Netflix, but they didn't have it. The "related titles" suggested as an alternative:

Friday Night Lights (I remember seeing the promos when it was on ESPN & it just didn't look interesting to me)

Undefeated (I'm intrigued)

Blue Mountain State (The promo pick looks to sleazy for my liking.)

House of Cards (I watched every episode of that, how in the world did Netflix come up with the idea that it's related in anyway to a sports movie of any kind? The only thing that I can think of is that one of the main actors or actresses was in both.)

All Things Fall Apart (Never heard of it. I can't tell by the promo pick if its even a sports movie or if it "relationship" to "Any Given Sunday" is an actor or actress being in both.)

Jack Reacker (This came out not too long ago, & I believe this is an action superhero/agent movie. Again, is its only relationship to "Any Given Sunday" an actor or actress being in both?)

So I guess I'll give "Undefeated" a try.

ShaneFalco
03-27-2014, 02:48 AM
Reacher

MileHighCrew
03-27-2014, 06:30 AM
She was still really hot in the episode of the League.

still a good reason

DallasChief
04-14-2014, 09:32 PM
Draft Day looks like the worst movie ever.

FanInAZ
04-14-2014, 10:55 PM
DC's back :clap2:

Dzone
04-14-2014, 11:55 PM
All The Right Moves before tom cruise became a famous scientologist nutcase

Dzone
04-15-2014, 02:29 AM
Invincible was one of the good football movies. True story and real teams

FanInAZ
04-15-2014, 02:37 AM
Invincible was one of the good football movies. True story and real teams

Brian's Song :2thumbs:

It was about Brian Piccolo, a RB who joined the Bears in '66 (the year after Gayle Sayers). After helping Sayers recover from his knee injury, his career was cut short by cancer.

BroncoNut
04-15-2014, 11:32 AM
Rudy is a good football story. I did like invincible a lot.

they compared Draft Day to Bull Durham??? I'm like really? I love bull durham, one of my favorite films... , but Draft Day isn't supposed to be a comedy is it? And DC, why do you say worst movie ever, or are you still under direction from Rex to not respond to me?

OrangeHoof
04-15-2014, 11:55 AM
If it's supposed to be a comedy, this should have been part of the opening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZxNeFLuY98

Northman
04-15-2014, 12:36 PM
what! That movie is great!

Brown: I DONT GET STROKES MOTHER******, I GIVE THEM.

But seriously best football movie.

The Replacements. Footsteps Falco is greatest fictional qb of all time.

Yea, the wife and i love that movie as well. The movie is just dripping with cliches. Missy even cracked a joke a few days ago how Peyton's wife is going to slap him and tell him he has 5 good years left to play. Peyton just needs to pump up the volume on his pain medication. lol

Northman
04-15-2014, 12:40 PM
http://www.dvd-covers.org/d/69580-3/10Necessary_Roughness_hires.jpg

Dzone
04-15-2014, 01:37 PM
Damn I aint even seen any of these movies..Unnecessary Roughness that looks like a good ass film

DallasChief
04-15-2014, 02:04 PM
Rudy is a good football story. I did like invincible a lot.

they compared Draft Day to Bull Durham??? I'm like really? I love bull durham, one of my favorite films... , but Draft Day isn't supposed to be a comedy is it? And DC, why do you say worst movie ever, or are you still under direction from Rex to not respond to me?

The trailers are cheesy. Costner is shitty actor. Chris Berman has a cameo.

Many reason why it looks terrible.

BroncoNut
04-15-2014, 02:09 PM

maybe that's just your opinion, and maybe we'll just leave it at that.

DallasChief
04-15-2014, 02:46 PM
maybe that's just your opinion, and maybe we'll just leave it at that.

Maybe we should just leave it at that.

I guess my biggest complaint is they didn't stick to exactly how the story was told in the Bible.

BroncoNut
04-15-2014, 03:34 PM

I guess my biggest complaint is they didn't stick to exactly how the story was told in the Bible.

ya know? I gave this some thought and Kevin Costner really isn't a good actor. Outside of No way out, bull durham and field of dreams,... even those are suspect

Like most movies, I dont' go into with great expectations.

Shazam!
04-15-2014, 03:49 PM

ya know? I gave this some thought and Kevin Costner really isn't a good actor. Outside of No way out, bull durham and field of dreams,... even those are suspect

Like most movies, I dont' go into with great expectations.

Dances With Wolves was great.

Dzone
04-15-2014, 04:03 PM

Berman is an *******. I hated Berman ever since that video of him humiliating some little people at the ESPN studio. Cussing people out, acting like a pompous ass.

Ravage!!!
04-15-2014, 04:27 PM

Costner is not a shitty actor. He's been good in some GReat movies.

Dances with Wolves
The Untouchables (classic)
Bull Durham (classic)
Field of Dreams
Tin Cup
JFK
Silverado

to name a few off the top of my head.

ShaneFalco
04-15-2014, 05:22 PM
Waterworld yo

DallasChief
04-15-2014, 08:43 PM

Dances with Wolves
Bull Durham (classic)
Field of Dreams
Tin Cup
JFK
Silverado

Keanu Reeves has been in some great movies too.

Point Break
The Matrix
The Devil's Advocate

Does that make him a good actor? No.

Dzone
04-15-2014, 11:34 PM
Costner is mediocre at best. Its not like people are breaking down the box office to go see the latest Kevin Costner film. The dude is just boring

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-16-2014, 01:14 AM

Point Break
The Matrix
The Devil's Advocate

You're seriously comparing Kevin Costner to Kuneau Reeves? Point Break was a great movie? The Advocate was good, but Pacino made that movie.

Northman
04-16-2014, 05:14 AM
You're seriously comparing Kevin Costner to Kuneau Reeves?

I think he was just using that as an example. Costner is pretty overrated.

Point Break was a great movie?

Its a fantastic movie. Busey, Swayze, and Reeves were excellent in that film.

The Advocate was good, but Pacino made that movie.

Very true, just like Connery and De Niro made the Untouchables.

Weirdly enough, the best movie i ever saw Costner (where i thought he stood out as an actor) in was a movie called "Revenge".

DallasChief
04-16-2014, 08:16 AM
You're seriously comparing Kevin Costner to Kuneau Reeves? Point Break was a great movie? The Advocate was good, but Pacino made that movie.

Seriously. Costner is not a good actor.

And if you don't think Point Break was a great movie, I don't know if we can be friends anymore.

OrangeHoof
04-16-2014, 12:28 PM
The reviews for Draft Day on Rotten Tomatoes are 63% positive. In other words, a "meh". Some said it was like "Moneyball" with less intelligence. That's not a ringing endorsement. I thought "Moneyball" was the most boring baseball movie I'd ever seen.

FanInAZ
04-16-2014, 12:42 PM
The reviews for Draft Day on Rotten Tomatoes are 63% positive. In other words, a "meh". Some said it was like "Moneyball" with less intelligence. That's not a ringing endorsement. I thought "Moneyball" was the most boring baseball movie I'd ever seen.

So the Browns ownership was intricately involved in the producing of this movie?

weazel
04-16-2014, 04:41 PM
Of Mice and Men

ShaneFalco
04-16-2014, 05:09 PM
So did anyone see this yet?

Ravage!!!
04-16-2014, 05:35 PM

Point Break
The Matrix
The Devil's Advocate

Great point. I think Costner gets some pretty bad rep based on accents more than anything else. Waterworld was a flop, and at the time, the movie got ALLL this press for how much money was being spent. Wasn't really HIS fault for how bad the movie was.

Idk, I just don't think of him as a bad actor. He played a great character in all the movies I listed, and those were good movies.

However, I did (at one time) believe that Matthew Mcconaughey was a bad actor, and although he was in some good movies (A Time to Kill, Lincol Lawyer, How to lose a Guy in 10 Days, The Lincoln Lawyer). He's changed my mind since Mud, as I believe he's grown to a good actor.

Ravage!!!
04-16-2014, 05:37 PM

And if you don't think Point Break was a great movie, I don't know if we can be friends anymore.

Seriosly, that is your opinion.

But Point Break wasn't a GREAT movie, it was a ok movie, but nowhere near GREAT.

Ravage!!!
04-16-2014, 05:45 PM
Costner is mediocre at best. Its not like people are breaking down the box office to go see the latest Kevin Costner film. The dude is just boring

It's funny, you know who's a boring actor that people seem to like a lot lately as some kind of "action hero?" Liam Neeson. That guy's tone of voice never changes. Now I have really liked a couple of his movies. Shindler's List at the top, and Taken was great. But other than that?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-16-2014, 06:11 PM

You know, it was a pretty decent movie, but it didn't really have much to do with Reeves. Man, it's been a LONG time since I've seen that movie.

DallasChief
04-17-2014, 10:29 AM
And the verdict on Kevin Costner's acting ability ends here....

http://youtu.be/Wg-UpYglAEw?t=1m37s

ShaneFalco
04-17-2014, 04:29 PM
Point break is awesome. And Keanu is the One. So enough said.

Valar Morghulis
04-17-2014, 04:57 PM

Dances with Wolves
Bull Durham (classic)
Field of Dreams
Tin Cup
JFK
Silverado

I loved a "perfect world" and thought "waterworld" was better than Ok - did he not also do "the postman" - i might be wrong, but i think it was pure shite.

He has made some great movies, some turd ones as well and would never be in my top 5 actors list - all that said, i am quite looking forward to watching draft day

Dzone
04-17-2014, 09:48 PM
Good article about the movie. Sounds like its more Hollywood than realistic NFL stuff. A female salary cap manager, just so they could get a good looking woman into the movie,
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/04/16/nfl-draft-day-movie/?eref=sihp

FanInAZ
04-17-2014, 10:45 PM
Good article about the movie. Sounds like its more Hollywood than realistic NFL stuff. A female salary cap manager, just so they could get a good looking woman into the movie,
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/04/16/nfl-draft-day-movie/?eref=sihp

The funniest token female role that I can remember was on "Knight Rider" in the 80's. The female mechanic would drop KITT's hood doing maintenance & she wouldn't have a speck of grease on her anywhere.

FanInAZ
04-17-2014, 11:03 PM
They should've down the Colts instead of the Browns. Frank Langella bears a striking resemblance to Jim Irsay.

BroncoWave
04-19-2014, 07:20 PM
So I guess I am the first person on here to actually see the movie?

Ok, well here is what I thought:

In terms of the actual deals done and players picked, it wasn't really all that realistic But if you can suspend the disbelief there, it was actually pretty good. Good drama, good characters, and an interesting story. I give it a 7/10.

If anyone doesn't want anything spoiled stop here, but here were how the transactions/picks went down.

Heading into the draft, the Seahawks held the #1 pick and the Browns held the #7 pick. At the top of the draft was a franchise QB who everyone thought was the next Elway/Luck. The two players the Browns were looking at were a big time LB who seemed like a bit of a hothead and a RB whose dad was a former Browns great. You kinda find out through the movie that the QB has some issues arise and the LB turns out to be a pretty good dude who wants to play for Cleveland. All the draft experts expect that LB to slip though, and it's agreed that he would definitely be there for Cleveland.

The owner, however, is basically threatening to fire the GM if he doesn't make a splashy pick. So given this, he trades his next 3 #1 picks to seattle to move up to #1 for the QB. Once he does this though, he looks into the QB closer and thinks he is gonna wind up being a bust. So he winds up shocking everyone and taking the LB #1 that he could have gotten at 7. By passing on the QB though, teams start to panic because they think there must be a huge issue with him, so he starts sliding down the board. Once he gets down to 5 (a team that doesn't need a QB), the Browns trade up to 6 by trading their next 3 #2 picks. So now they have traded their #1 and #2 picks for the next 3 years. It's assumed they are going to take the QB there, but they know Seattle's fans were pissed off and rioting because they traded out of 1 and lost out on the QB, so they manage to get Seattle to trade up to 6 by giving their 3 #1 picks back AND a star kick returner. Cleveland then uses the #7 pick to take that RB whose dad was a Brown.

So basically, Seattle winds up LOSING a kick returner to drop from 1 to 6, which would pretty much get any GM fired. And Cleveland winds up trading 3 #2 picks for the #1 pick and a kick returner. So it turned from Seattle fleecing Cleveland to Cleveland fleecing Seattle even more. Like I said, not a very realistic sequence of events, but it was entertaining nonetheless.

pipes
04-20-2014, 05:15 AM
My wife and I watched this movie last week. I had very low expectations, even thinking and expecting it to be awful...I had to see it though, as I absolutely love the NFL draft...even take a vacation day on the Friday of the draft.

Anyway, we BOTH loved the movie! Even my wife, who couldn't give less of a crap about the draft, loved this movie.

I would spend $ to go see it again...and one day I'm sure that I will own it.

GEM
04-25-2014, 03:33 PM
So I am going to the movies tomorrow and I'm torn on what to see....either Draft Day or Walking with the Enemy.

Ugh...Draft Day looks ok, but I love football movies. Walking with the Enemy is a World War 2 flick that looks very good. Choices choices!!!

BroncoWave
04-25-2014, 03:34 PM
Draft Day was pretty entertaining, GEM. Just don't think too much about the realism of the deals that are being made and I think you'll enjoy it. My GF who likes football but is nowhere near the geek about it that any of us are really liked the movie.

afrah15
01-26-2015, 12:11 AM
Jennifer Garner is low-key as Costner's girlfriend, though a far cry from her starring lead role in TV's "Alias." Hers, along with Ellen Burstyn's portrayal, brings necessary added value to balance out the storyline.

MileHighCrew
01-26-2015, 07:36 AM
Probably seen this movie 5 times..... I really like it

Buff
01-26-2015, 02:32 PM
I've heard that the movie is terrible and I've made plans to never see it in my lifetime.

underrated29
01-26-2015, 02:37 PM
It was pretty decent. Not the best but I enjoyed it for what it was.

MOtorboat
01-26-2015, 02:41 PM
Saw it last night after this thread got bumped. I enjoyed it a lot.

Buff
01-26-2015, 02:42 PM
Saw it last night after this thread got bumped. I enjoyed it a lot.

So I would hate it then?

MOtorboat
01-26-2015, 02:57 PM
So I would hate it then?

I'm not really sure, to be honest. I think you tend to hate bad acting, and I'm not sure there was any blatantly bad acting. A few fantastical plot lines, for sure, though.