PDA

View Full Version : Von Miller likely to have fifth-year option picked up by Broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
03-26-2014, 10:19 AM
ORLANDO, FLA. — The Broncos are likely to pick up the fifth-year team option on the contract of linebacker Von Miller.

Exercising the fifth-year option would keep the pass-rushing strongside linebacker with the club — and away from free agency — through the 2015 season.

The Broncos must exercise the option by May 3. Miller will make $3.239 million in 2014. As a top-10 pick in the 2011 draft, the fifth-year option would entitle Miller to a transition tag salary of $9.754 million in 2015. The option year is guaranteed against injury until the first day of the season, at which point it becomes fully guaranteed.

The fifth-year option for first-round picks was added to the collective bargaining agreement that was negotiated in 2011.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25419912/von-miller-fifth-year-option-broncos

VonDoom
03-26-2014, 10:30 AM
Not surprising, and almost certainly the right move here. Saves the team some money (as I assume any long term contract for Von would pay him more than $10 million per year) and gives us some time to see if Von screws up again before committing. I read yesterday that his ACL rehab is going well (ahead of schedule) and that he's 15 pounds lighter than he was last year, which I know a lot of people were clamoring for. Let's hope he brings the pain next year.

Davii
03-26-2014, 10:39 AM
They can also tag him in year 6 and 7. Von isn't getting away unless the brass wants him to.

VonDoom
03-26-2014, 10:40 AM
They can also tag him in year 6 and 7. Von isn't getting away unless the brass wants him to.

A tag would get pretty expensive at that point, especially the second time. And eventually you have to worry about the player getting annoyed by not getting his contract extension. That being said, I still think keeping a close eye on Von before committing long term is the right call.

Davii
03-26-2014, 10:47 AM
A tag would get pretty expensive at that point, especially the second time. And eventually you have to worry about the player getting annoyed by not getting his contract extension. That being said, I still think keeping a close eye on Von before committing long term is the right call.

Depends. Franchise tag pays an average of the top five salaries at that position. IF Von returns to form that would be a bargain as he would more than likely command MORE than that average.

Ideally, if he returns to form, we lock him up with a 5 or 6 year contract. However, my point was that if he wants to search for the really big $$ and won't commit long term the team can tag him out to year seven.

DenBronx
03-26-2014, 02:27 PM
Daviis right on the tag in 2016. If Miller plays like Von Miller then he is going to get a top 5 salary anyway. So if we are not sure then a tag would make sense. Play it year to year then commit. By that time Manning wont be around and we will have the cap space to give him a new deal.

5th year option
Tag
Then tag again if no deal can be reached.

CoachChaz
03-26-2014, 03:12 PM
Daviis right on the tag in 2016. If Miller plays like Von Miller then he is going to get a top 5 salary anyway. So if we are not sure then a tag would make sense. Play it year to year then commit. By that time Manning wont be around and we will have the cap space to give him a new deal.

5th year option
Tag
Then tag again if no deal can be reached.

I wonder if he'd pull a Jimmy Graham move and want the tag to apply to him as a DE instead of a LB.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-26-2014, 04:15 PM
I wonder if he'd pull a Jimmy Graham move and want the tag to apply to him as a DE instead of a LB.

He would have to have his hand in the dirt on at least 75% of the plays for the league to consider the arguement.

DenBronx
03-26-2014, 04:22 PM

Players that do that are so stupid. Graham wanted the tag to be applied as a WR if I recall correctly, but he never did play WR for the Saints. So don't see how that's even logical. If he wants to be a WR then he needs to set up his next deal as a WR and actually play WR then.

Not sure what the difference is cost wise with the tag between a DE and a LB but I bet it's a mill or more. We still have a while to go before we really need to worry about it.

CoachChaz
03-26-2014, 04:59 PM
He would have to have his hand in the dirt on at least 75% of the plays for the league to consider the arguement.

Would he? Defenses are so hybrid nowadays that I think the argument could sometimes be made quite often. Graham has the argument because he rarely lines up on the line...but in that case...neither do many other TE's in spread based offenses. Shaun Phillips was listed as a DE. How often was his hand in the dirt?

I think the way defenses and offenses are changing, it creates some gray areas with some of these positions.

CoachChaz
03-26-2014, 05:00 PM
Players that do that are so stupid. Graham wanted the tag to be applied as a WR if I recall correctly, but he never did play WR for the Saints. So don't see how that's even logical. If he wants to be a WR then he needs to set up his next deal as a WR and actually play WR then.

Not sure what the difference is cost wise with the tag between a DE and a LB but I bet it's a mill or more. We still have a while to go before we really need to worry about it.

About 2 mil. Not a massive amount, but if I could earn 2 mil more a year, I'd damn sure try to get it.

Ravage!!!
03-26-2014, 05:13 PM
Graham doesn't stand a chance of being paid like a WR. Tony G tried to pull that same shit back in 1999 while with the Chiefs. They didn't pay him as a WR either. Tony G was/is ALLLLL about the money, though. Graham needs to just accept the fact that he's a very good TE and will be paid as the top TE in the NFL. Why doesn't he just say that he would "like" to be paid as a QB??? I mean, why not?

Simple Jaded
03-27-2014, 09:00 PM

If I were in the FO the last thing I'd worry about is annoying Von Miller.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-27-2014, 09:10 PM
Would he? Defenses are so hybrid nowadays that I think the argument could sometimes be made quite often. Graham has the argument because he rarely lines up on the line...but in that case...neither do many other TE's in spread based offenses. Shaun Phillips was listed as a DE. How often was his hand in the dirt?

I think the way defenses and offenses are changing, it creates some gray areas with some of these positions.

Suggs is the most recent comparison I know of. He was tagged as an olb. He argued he should be tagged as a DE. The league ruled in his favor because he played atleast 2/3 of his snaps with his hand in the dirt. I would expect they would use a similar standard with Miller. I dont think he'd win.

broncohead
03-28-2014, 08:28 PM
Grahams defense is that he lined up standing up more times then not if i remember correctly. I don't think I've ever seen Miller put his hand on the ground. Could be wrong but even in the nickel and he is 1 of 4 on the LOS he is still standing

ShaneFalco
03-28-2014, 08:32 PM
Grahams defense is that he lined up standing up more times then not if i remember correctly. I don't think I've ever seen Miller put his hand on the ground. Could be wrong but even in the nickel and he is 1 of 4 on the LOS he is still standing

He is Crouching Von Hidden Miller.

http://sinfl.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/vonmiller2final.jpg?w=600&h=717

Dapper Dan
03-28-2014, 11:06 PM

That's a good point. I wonder if they will tweak how the franchise tag is applied.

Simple Jaded
03-29-2014, 12:40 PM
Jimmy Graham is a TE, a shitty blocking TE but he is a TE. Saints might've had him block more if he didn't suck at it, now because of that he wants the Saints to pay him like he's the only 6-6/260lb WR in the NFL. Saints are right, next you'll have RB's wanting to be tagged as WR saying "hey we line up there too".

If/when they update the Franchise Tag system G's and C's are gonna get a hair cut.

NightTerror218
04-25-2014, 07:19 PM
Have not heard of option actually being picked up. Any news? Know deadline is coming.