PDA

View Full Version : Restarting the game clock after delay of game?

fcspikeit
11-30-2007, 12:02 AM
I was watching the Packers Cowboys game tonight and I seen something I have never noticed before.

It was at the end of the 3rd quarter. The Cowboys had the ball it was first and 10 they got a delay of game penalty. At the time of the penalty there was around 20 seconds on the clock. They restarted the game clock with the play clock after resetting the ball. The quarter ran out with out the Cowboys even running a play. Could that be right? I have never seen that before and it got me thinking.

If that is correct then you could run tons of time off the clock with out even running a play! Sure you would get the delay of game penalty every 45 secants, but who cares when your trying to run out the clock?

Think of it this way.

At the end of the game the Cowboys had the ball on the 10 yard line on 4th down. The Packers had no more time outs. The Cowboys let the play clock ran down to 1, then took the time out with around 1:00 left. Then they kicked the field goal. Why did they do that? All they had to do was take the delay of game, back up 5 yards then run another 45 seconds off the clock again and again until the game clock ran out.

Better yet, We could have done that against the Bears last week. We had the ball on the 45 yard line with 8:00 left up 34 - 20 We could have ran the clock all the way down to the 2:00 warning taking the delay of game penalty every 45 secants. If nothing else they would have had to waist their time outs right then and there. 7 delay of game penalty's would have ran off 5:15. Then we could have ran our 3 plays forcing them to use their time outs. We would have punted them the ball with under 2:00 on the clock up by 14.

I always thought after the delay of game penalty the game clock did not start until the ball was snapped again. That was not the case in the Cowboys game. Does anyone know what the rule is?

*Note to mods* I hope you don't move this thread. I feel this does and would have impacted the Broncos :salute:

Broncos Mtnman
11-30-2007, 12:35 AM
Whenever the clock stops (incomplete pass, penalties, etc...) in the last 2 minutes of the 1st half and the last 5 minutes of the 2nd, the clock doesn't restart until the ball is snapped.

fcspikeit
11-30-2007, 01:29 AM
Whenever the clock stops (incomplete pass, penalties, etc...) in the last 2 minutes of the 1st half and the last 5 minutes of the 2nd, the clock doesn't restart until the ball is snapped.

So then,,,, we could have ran the clock out by taking the delay of game penalty down to 5 minutes in the game?