PDA

View Full Version : NFL officials to use wireless communication in 2014

Denver Native (Carol)
03-24-2014, 10:52 AM
With the NFL Annual Meeting taking place this week in Orlando, Fla., there will be a lot of chatter about proposed changes and new rules, most of which won't actually lead to change this season.

One thing that will change during 2014 is the way in which refs communicate. NFL vice president of officiating Dean Blandino told TheMMQB.com's Peter King on Sunday that the on-field officials won't have to run around the field to talk to each other anymore.

"We're going to implement an official-to-official communications system, so all seven officials can communicate wirelessly," Blandino said. "Each official will have an earpiece, a microphone and just a little radio pack where they can communicate in a closed system, encrypted."

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000336262/article/nfl-officials-to-use-wireless-communication-in-2014

Davii
03-24-2014, 11:26 AM
Makes sense. Hopefully it leads to quicker, more accurate officiating.

OrangeHoof
03-24-2014, 11:40 AM
Belichick is already hard at work developing a system to jam the officials' broadcast frequency and replace it with subliminal messages.

Davii
03-24-2014, 11:51 AM
Belichick is already hard at work developing a system to jam the officials' broadcast frequency and replace it with subliminal messages.

He has his own communicator with one of those voice changer deals where he can sound like Darth Vader, an alien, or any head official. He likes to call Tom Brady with it and whisper sweet nothings in his ear as an alien pool boy.

reimx007
03-24-2014, 11:58 AM
Its suprising really, they probably could have done this effectively 5-10 years ago. I'm sure it'll make life for refs a lot simpler and even keep games running smoother.

Also in Kings Mmqb he said the league hopes that the replay proposal gets passed. Meaning that the Officiating dept in NY will be looking at all replys along with the on field ref. I like this cuz people won't be able to complain about a subjective call, as the final word is coming all the way from the top.

VonDoom
03-24-2014, 12:28 PM
Its suprising really, they probably could have done this effectively 5-10 years ago. I'm sure it'll make life for refs a lot simpler and even keep games running smoother.

Also in Kings Mmqb he said the league hopes that the replay proposal gets passed. Meaning that the Officiating dept in NY will be looking at all replys along with the on field ref. I like this cuz people won't be able to complain about a subjective call, as the final word is coming all the way from the top.

Yeah, I'm sure there will be more tweaks along the way, but as of now, if there is a centralized officiating crew to at least help make decisions the same way in every game, it'll go a long way to fixing the problem overall.

OrangeHoof
03-24-2014, 12:50 PM
I like this cuz people won't be able to complain about a subjective call, as the final word is coming all the way from the top.

Yeah, like the first time the Jets or Giants get an incredibly unfair call in their favor, it will really mollify the folks in Philly or Foxboro that the league sided with the New York team. Keep dreaming.

luckyseven
03-24-2014, 09:56 PM
not so sure this will work as great as it sounds. If they have 3-5 guys trying to talk at the same time, something that rarely happens when they are face to face.

also hard to read facial expressions at 30 yards. sometimes that is just as important as words.

luckyseven
03-24-2014, 09:58 PM
Yeah, like the first time the Jets or Giants get an incredibly unfair call in their favor, it will really mollify the folks in Philly or Foxboro that the league sided with the New York team. Keep dreaming.

we all know that those league guys will be sitting next to Kraft in his sky box in NE.

dogfish
03-24-2014, 10:53 PM
wow, spiker finally upgraded to a smartphone. . .

Ravage!!!
03-25-2014, 12:55 PM
I th ink its just something that will not work on game day. It doesn't take long to conjure up and meet face to face.. and the crowd noise will get in the way of trying to speak to each other via earpieces. Sounds good, but I think it won't be much of a benefit as it will a problem.

But I do like the central located review booth.

spikerman
03-25-2014, 06:57 PM
wow, spiker finally upgraded to a smartphone. . .

Ha... jokes on you. I upgraded to a smart phone a couple of years ago!

I only recently figured out how to use it.