PDA

View Full Version : Proposed rule changes

GEM
03-19-2014, 04:49 PM
I didn't see this anywhere else, here are proposed rule changes for this season.

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- On Wednesday, the NFL Competition Committee held a conference call to discuss potential rule changes that will see a vote next week at the owners meetings.
In all, there were 13 rule changes, seven bylaws and one resolution proposed.
Independent analyst Andrew Mason gave his take on many of the proposals

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Proposed-Rules-Changes-Announced/b93defe7-d4d0-4640-8c85-8711df0bf0b1

See the article to see the changes.

dogfish
03-19-2014, 05:13 PM
i propose that someone punch goodell in the throat. . . hard enough to do some serious damage. . .

Buff
03-19-2014, 05:29 PM
I like the idea to make the goal posts higher... And cameras on boundaries.

Hate the kickoff rule change proposals.

VonDoom
03-19-2014, 05:41 PM

Agreed on both of these. I also like the potential IR change.

MOtorboat
03-19-2014, 05:47 PM
PI within one yard. FFS...

And the retractable dome rule is dumb. There are three in the league, right, Houston, Phoenix and Indianapolis?

So you give three teams a gamesmanship advantage?

BobaFett
03-19-2014, 05:47 PM
Not being able to bump WR's off the line will effectively kill every good defense and make it an entirely different sport of which all previous records will be irrelevant. That's the most egregious rule proposal of all of them.
The NFL has already ruined defense enough. They don't need to go after line of scrimmage play on top of it.

Hopefully the owners shut this down so it doesn't kill football.

atwater27
03-19-2014, 06:05 PM
Not being able to bump WR's off the line will effectively kill every good defense and make it an entirely different sport of which all previous records will be irrelevant. That's the most egregious rule proposal of all of them.
The NFL has already ruined defense enough. They don't need to go after line of scrimmage play on top of it.

Hopefully the owners shut this down so it doesn't kill football.
Holy crap I love your username and pic.

atwater27
03-19-2014, 06:07 PM
Kickoffs from the 40? RUF'ing kidding me? Why bother? Just place the ball at the 20. Jiminy Christmas, they are trying to change it to arena league.

BroncoWave
03-19-2014, 06:08 PM
I would say wait until any of these rules actually pass before you guys get your panties too wadded up over them. These are nothing more than proposals at this point.

MOtorboat
03-19-2014, 06:17 PM
I would say wait until any of these rules actually pass before you guys get your panties too wadded up over them. These are nothing more than proposals at this point.

My panties are in no such wad. I think it's a legitimate complaint that they are considering ridiculous rules, much less making them rules (which in some cases they are doing).

BroncoWave
03-19-2014, 06:20 PM
My panties are in no such wad. I think it's a legitimate complaint that they are considering ridiculous rules, much less making them rules (which in some cases they are doing).

I just think it's silly to get outraged over something that hasn't even happened yet. It's not like the NFL that submitted these proposals, it's owners of particular teams. It just takes one owner to propose one of these rule changes and it can get brought up for a vote. So forgive me for not being outraged over one owner having a crazy idea that probably won't pass anyway.

MOtorboat
03-19-2014, 06:24 PM
I just think it's silly to get outraged over something that hasn't even happened yet. It's not like the NFL that submitted these proposals, it's owners of particular teams. It just takes one owner to propose one of these rule changes and it can get brought up for a vote. So forgive me for not being outraged over one owner having a crazy idea that probably won't pass anyway.

OK, Nancy Pelosi.

Look, I'm not saying that my message on a random Broncos board is ever going to sway anything, but if no one says anything before they vote, then the stupid rule passes. It's absolutely necessary that people speak up about proposed rules they don't like, even if it is on some fans-only website.

BroncoWave
03-19-2014, 06:28 PM
OK, Nancy Pelosi.

Look, I'm not saying that my message on a random Broncos board is ever going to sway anything, but if no one says anything before they vote, then the stupid rule passes. It's absolutely necessary that people speak up about proposed rules they don't like, even if it is on some fans-only website.

I don't really think any of them are that horrible. The kickoff one is kinda silly as it would make the kickoff pointless, but honestly it's heading in that direction anyway with the safety concerns, so it's more of a when than if.

The 1-yard PI one is probably unnecessary too as it would give the offense even more help, but I don't really see that one passing.

The retractable roof one? Meh, don't really feel strongly one way or another.

Among the "bad" ones you picked out, there are also some really awesome ones that would really help the game such as centralizing replay in NY, making personal fouls challengable, making the uprights longer, and putting permanent cameras at the goal lines and down the sidelines.

FanInAZ
03-19-2014, 06:49 PM
Rules Madison commented on

Move kickoffs to the 40-yard-line: Horrible idea

Expand replay to include personal fouls: Fine with it. I agree 100% with Madison's comments.

Extend the goal posts an additional 5 feet above the cross bar: Good idea. There are times when the ball is kick so high that it would make it easier to tell if a kick makes it through the uprights. It could also lead to balls bouncing in or out off the uprights.

Move the line of scrimmage for PATs to the 25: I'd rather not for reasons stated by Madison.

Put cameras on all boundary lines to assure coverage for replay reviews: Biggest no brain of all. I love Madison's take.

Coach can challenge any official decision, except auto-review plays: Yes, but how would this work if a play was whistled dead?

Allow ref to consult w/ NFL officiating dept. in NYC in reviews: Sounds great in theory, but it'll get really, really old really, really fast when it extends the time it takes for reviews by putting more cooks in the kitchen.

Don't stop the clock on a sack: Indifferent, until the last 2 minutes of a game when the O is in hurry up. In that case, sacks would be far more devastating because of how much time that will be lost getting the WRs back from their go routs. How much you like the rule then will depend on if your O or D is on the field at the time.

Pass interference can be called within 1 yard of line of scrimmage: Horrible idea. Madison's response is right on the money!

Active roster for Thu./Fri./Sat. games increased from 46 to 49: Just let every player under contract who's health enough dress.

Increase prac. squad size from 8 to 10: Just get rid of the practice squad designation & let all of them suit up on game day. Madison's idea of a developmental league is something that I've been calling for, for years.

Only one cut-down date in preseason, from 90 to 53: Completely disagree with Madison. You watch pre-season games for the same reason you attend training camp. The #1 purpose of pre-season & training camp isn't entertainment, but for figuring out who's going to make the roster.

Allowing players to stay on the roster would help teams make better decision about who to cut & who to keep, but would hurt players who would have been cut earlier by not giving them an opportunity to try out for another team. However, as long as the rule doesn't mandate that they have to keep 90 until the final cut, teams can still go ahead & cut a player as soon as the coaches make up their minds about them.

Any player on I.R. can return after 6 weeks: I've no opinion because I don't know how this rule differs from the current rules.

Permit a team w/ retractable roof to open/close it at half: Like Madison said, horrible idea because of the increased gamesmanship it would create.

Rules that Madison didn't comment on (see bottom of the page)

Eliminate overtime in the preseason: I've never heard anyone say they favor OT during the preseason. This is one of those, "why wasn't this done years ago," rules.

Make it illegal to roll up the side of a defender's legs (it is already illegal to roll up the back of a defender's legs): I thought this was already illegal.

Re-organize rules about what can and cannot be reviewed, including allow the recovery of a loose ball reviewable: Isn't this already covered in the 6th rule change listed in which everything becomes reviewable?

Enforce defensive fouls that occurred behind the line of scrimmage from the previous spot as opposed to from the end of the run or spot of the foul: I thought this was already the case?

Allow teams to trade players prior to the start of the new league year: I guess this would give us something to talk about during the month of February besides rehashing the SB & cut down the mind numbing period of endless speculation based on "in side sources."

Permit clubs to time and test at its own facility 10 players who attended the NFL Scouting Combine -- as well as the ability to attend any timing and testing session at another team's facility that involves three or more players: How would this differ from what's already done?

Adjust the deadline for the final roster reduction to 53 players to 2 p.m. MT as opposed to 4 p.m. MT, which is currently is: Indifferent

Denver Native (Carol)
03-19-2014, 06:58 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 4h

Indianapolis is asking for a vote on allowing teams w/ retractable roof to be allowed to open it at halftime.

Eagles bylaw change proposal: Allow any team to attend predraft workout at any team facility attended by 3+ players.

Wash bylaw change cont: allow trades before start of league yr; eliminate roster cut down to 75; permit more than 1 player to return from IR

Washington also suggested 5 bylaw proposals: Inc active list from 46 to 49 for non-Sun/ Mon games; inc practice squad to 10 players; cont..

From Pats: extend goal posts five yards; move LOS for PAT to 25; put 6 more cameras in end zone; permit coach to challenge any decision.

From Washington: Move kickoffs to 40 yd line; expand replay to inc personal fouls; eliminate OT in preseason.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-19-2014, 06:59 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 4h

Broncos propose to skip all that crap and fast-forward to the playoffs.

BroncoWave
03-19-2014, 07:00 PM
Andrew Mason made a great point about the IR change. He said NFL should get rid of IR and do like the MLB with a 15/30/60 day DL type of thing. This allows you to keep open roster spots for players who are injured but could possibly come back by playoff or super bowl time.

dogfish
03-19-2014, 07:28 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 4h

Broncos propose to skip all that crap and fast-forward to the playoffs.

now here's a rule change we can all support!

i am in favor of modification of the IR rules. . . that really has needed to be done for a while now. . . and you should be able to dress all 53 players, that one has never made sense. . .

MOtorboat
03-19-2014, 07:30 PM
now here's a rule change we can all support!

i am in favor of modification of the IR rules. . . that really has needed to be done for a while now. . . and you should be able to dress all 53 players, that one has never made sense. . .

I like baseball's version...15 days, 60 days. 2 games, 6 games, 10 games. A player cannot go on more than two consecutive 2-game IRs...something like that.

Dapper Dan
03-19-2014, 08:06 PM
Rules Madison commented on

Move kickoffs to the 40-yard-line: Horrible idea

Expand replay to include personal fouls: Fine with it. I agree 100% with Madison's comments.

Extend the goal posts an additional 5 feet above the cross bar: Good idea. There are times when the ball is kick so high that it would make it easier to tell if a kick makes it through the uprights. It could also lead to balls bouncing in or out off the uprights.

Move the line of scrimmage for PATs to the 25: I'd rather not for reasons stated by Madison.

Put cameras on all boundary lines to assure coverage for replay reviews: Biggest no brain of all. I love Madison's take.

Coach can challenge any official decision, except auto-review plays: Yes, but how would this work if a play was whistled dead?

Allow ref to consult w/ NFL officiating dept. in NYC in reviews: Sounds great in theory, but it'll get really, really old really, really fast when it extends the time it takes for reviews by putting more cooks in the kitchen.

Don't stop the clock on a sack: Indifferent, until the last 2 minutes of a game when the O is in hurry up. In that case, sacks would be far more devastating because of how much time that will be lost getting the WRs back from their go routs. How much you like the rule then will depend on if your O or D is on the field at the time.

Pass interference can be called within 1 yard of line of scrimmage: Horrible idea. Madison's response is right on the money!

Active roster for Thu./Fri./Sat. games increased from 46 to 49: Just let every player under contract who's health enough dress.

Increase prac. squad size from 8 to 10: Just get rid of the practice squad designation & let all of them suit up on game day. Madison's idea of a developmental league is something that I've been calling for, for years.

Only one cut-down date in preseason, from 90 to 53: Completely disagree with Madison. You watch pre-season games for the same reason you attend training camp. The #1 purpose of pre-season & training camp isn't entertainment, but for figuring out who's going to make the roster.

Allowing players to stay on the roster would help teams make better decision about who to cut & who to keep, but would hurt players who would have been cut earlier by not giving them an opportunity to try out for another team. However, as long as the rule doesn't mandate that they have to keep 90 until the final cut, teams can still go ahead & cut a player as soon as the coaches make up their minds about them.

Any player on I.R. can return after 6 weeks: I've no opinion because I don't know how this rule differs from the current rules.

Permit a team w/ retractable roof to open/close it at half: Like Madison said, horrible idea because of the increased gamesmanship it would create.

Rules that Madison didn't comment on (see bottom of the page)

Eliminate overtime in the preseason: I've never heard anyone say they favor OT during the preseason. This is one of those, "why wasn't this done years ago," rules.

Make it illegal to roll up the side of a defender's legs (it is already illegal to roll up the back of a defender's legs): I thought this was already illegal.

Re-organize rules about what can and cannot be reviewed, including allow the recovery of a loose ball reviewable: Isn't this already covered in the 6th rule change listed in which everything becomes reviewable?

Enforce defensive fouls that occurred behind the line of scrimmage from the previous spot as opposed to from the end of the run or spot of the foul: I thought this was already the case?

Allow teams to trade players prior to the start of the new league year: I guess this would give us something to talk about during the month of February besides rehashing the SB & cut down the mind numbing period of endless speculation based on "in side sources."

Permit clubs to time and test at its own facility 10 players who attended the NFL Scouting Combine -- as well as the ability to attend any timing and testing session at another team's facility that involves three or more players: How would this differ from what's already done?

Adjust the deadline for the final roster reduction to 53 players to 2 p.m. MT as opposed to 4 p.m. MT, which is currently is: Indifferent

Thanks for posting this.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-19-2014, 08:07 PM
The NFL's competition committee will present a long list of potential rules changes at the league meetings in Orlando, Fla., next week but said Wednesday that the power to penalize players for use of slurs, including the N-word, is already in the hands of the officials and will be exercised in the coming season.

In a conference call where it was announced that a discussion of expanding the playoff field from 12 to 14 teams is also on the agenda, the committee's co-chairmen -- Atlanta Falcons president Rich McKay and St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher -- said enforcing the rule will be a "major point of emphasis'' in the coming season and a flag would result in a 15-yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct.

"We do have a section of the book that deals with sportsmanship and addresses the use of abusive or threatening or insulting language, it emphasizes it can be a foul for unsportsmanlike conduct,'' McKay said. "It's right in the rule as it's written today -- rule 12, section 3, article 1B -- and we emphasize that we empower a foul to be called for that type of language.''

rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10634745/nfl-slur-penalties-covered-current-rules

luckyseven
03-19-2014, 10:31 PM
Andrew Mason made a great point about the IR change. He said NFL should get rid of IR and do like the MLB with a 15/30/60 day DL type of thing. This allows you to keep open roster spots for players who are injured but could possibly come back by playoff or super bowl time.

only thing that concerns me are the stocked teams hiding players. till the playoffs.

I do like a short term IR as long as you can not put more than a few players on it.

Of course expand the roster to more than 53 and some of this is not a problem.

swaiy
03-20-2014, 10:01 AM

Indianapolis is asking for a vote on allowing teams w/ retractable roof to be allowed to open it at halftime.

Eagles bylaw change proposal: Allow any team to attend predraft workout at any team facility attended by 3+ players.

Wash bylaw change cont: allow trades before start of league yr; eliminate roster cut down to 75; permit more than 1 player to return from IR

Washington also suggested 5 bylaw proposals: Inc active list from 46 to 49 for non-Sun/ Mon games; inc practice squad to 10 players; cont..

From Pats: extend goal posts five yards; move LOS for PAT to 25; put 6 more cameras in end zone; permit coach to challenge any decision.

From Washington: Move kickoffs to 40 yd line; expand replay to inc personal fouls; eliminate OT in preseason.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this one. Are they really proposing that if a team hosts 3+ players at their facility, other teams can show up. If that is the case, that proposal is completely ridiculous.

Ravage!!!
03-20-2014, 10:19 AM
only thing that concerns me are the stocked teams hiding players. till the playoffs.

I do like a short term IR as long as you can not put more than a few players on it.

Of course expand the roster to more than 53 and some of this is not a problem.

Teams used the IR to stock players before, and that is why they changed the rule to how it is today. So the MLB rule isn't going to be used. They don't want teams to do that.

But I NEVER have understood their reasoning for having 53 man on the roster, but only 48 can dress out? :confused: Why? Why limit the sidelines?

BroncoJoe
03-20-2014, 10:29 AM
Teams used the IR to stock players before, and that is why they changed the rule to how it is today. So the MLB rule isn't going to be used. They don't want teams to do that.

But I NEVER have understood their reasoning for having 53 man on the roster, but only 48 can dress out? :confused: Why? Why limit the sidelines?

Could arguably be one of the dumbest rules in the NFL.

TXBRONC
03-20-2014, 10:49 AM
A proposed rule change that I find interesting is allowing teams that teams playing on a other than Sunday should be allowed to expand their game day roster to 49.

Ravage!!!
03-20-2014, 10:52 AM
A proposed rule change that I find interesting is allowing teams that teams playing on a other than Sunday should be allowed to expand their game day roster to 49.

Yeah.. giving teams that HAVE to play on Thursday the opportunity to have more people available to them. I lke the idea of expanding, but why is it limited at all instead of allowing all 53? I need to look this up.

luckyseven
03-20-2014, 11:58 AM
Could arguably be one of the dumbest rules in the NFL.

Guessing it has to do with how players are paid.

If the are inactive it may allow them not to pay incentives to them.

sneakers
03-21-2014, 06:14 AM

Make those goal posts really really high so they can double as space elevators

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/t_ku-xlarge2/18enfuwsagjl5jpg.jpg

TXBRONC
03-21-2014, 07:25 AM
Yeah.. giving teams that HAVE to play on Thursday the opportunity to have more people available to them. I lke the idea of expanding, but why is it limited at all instead of allowing all 53? I need to look this up.

I agree that's even better. It's seemed stupid to me that they allow an active roster of 53 but on game day you to de-active seven of them.

FanInAZ
03-21-2014, 11:23 AM
Make those goal posts really really high so they can double as space elevators

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/t_ku-xlarge2/18enfuwsagjl5jpg.jpg

I know I've seen that pic before, is that from Civ 3?

Denver Native (Carol)
03-23-2014, 11:02 AM
Never afraid to tweak their rulebook, NFL owners, executives and head coaches will gather in Orlando, Fla., this week to consider proposals ranging from rational to absurd.

Open or close the retractable roof at halftime if the weather turns during the first half? Come on, Indianapolis. Stop it.

Increase the game-day roster for Thursday night games from 46 to 49 players? Now, that makes sense. As does increasing the practice-squad membership from eight to 10 players.

Broncos president Joe Ellis said his team's contingent, led by general manager John Elway and coach John Fox, wants to hear discussion from the NFL competition committee regarding the pros and cons of each proposal before making any final determinations.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25401575/broncos-brass-takes-reserved-view-at-possible-nfl

Dzone
03-24-2014, 10:38 AM
Good idea to have more players suited on game day. I could see us using Hillman in a game. Throw him a screen pass and see if he can break it. As for running the ball, Hillman has proven himself to be terrible
So yes, why not suit up all 53 if it isnt costing too much more $$$

luckyseven
03-24-2014, 01:04 PM
Good idea to have more players suited on game day. I could see us using Hillman in a game. Throw him a screen pass and see if he can break it. As for running the ball, Hillman has proven himself to be terrible
So yes, why not suit up all 53 if it isnt costing too much more $$$

Perhaps it is his inability hold onto the ball is one of the reasons he does not suit up.

Ravage!!!
03-24-2014, 01:16 PM
Guessing it has to do with how players are paid.

If the are inactive it may allow them not to pay incentives to them.

That can't be the reason, as that would REALLY be a major flaw with the player's union. Besides, you don 't see the starters being put on inactive lists in the middle of the season.

luckyseven
03-24-2014, 01:28 PM
That can't be the reason, as that would REALLY be a major flaw with the player's union. Besides, you don 't see the starters being put on inactive lists in the middle of the season.

Not many starters would be starters if they could or might be inactive.

That would be silly.

As for flaws in the CBA, there are many Un-intended flaws that have popped up since it was signed.

MNPatsFan
03-25-2014, 08:36 AM
Hate the kickoff rule change proposals.I like Bud Grant's suggestion for kickoffs and punts:

Two other changes that Grant would like to see are the removal of the touchback for kickoffs that are returnable, even if they are in the end zone, and to eliminate the fair catch on punts, a rule that has been in the CFL forever.

“[Critics] come back and say, ‘Someone is going to get hurt back there.’ Well, they’ve been doing it for years in Canada, and I’m sure somebody could get hurt, but I never had that experience,” Grant said. “… The punt return then becomes a viable play, entertainment, and you won’t be going up for a beer when they’re going to punt because they’re going to force them to return the punt, which would make our game even better.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/251727151.html

IMHO it would definitely make those plays more exciting. What do you think?

Buff
03-25-2014, 09:26 AM
I like Bud Grant's suggestion for kickoffs and punts:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/251727151.html

IMHO it would definitely make those plays more exciting. What do you think?

Kind of a silly suggestion considering it flies in the face of the motivation for all the rule changes - player safety. I mean, in principle I like that it adds excitement and doesn't subtract it, but it wouldn't even get one second of consideration from the rules committee. If anything, we'll be lucky to keep the current rules in place without additional safety provisions - the idea that they'd remove safety provisions like touchbacks and fair catches is XFL type stuff.

MNPatsFan
03-25-2014, 10:01 AM
Kind of a silly suggestion considering it flies in the face of the motivation for all the rule changes - player safety. I mean, in principle I like that it adds excitement and doesn't subtract it, but it wouldn't even get one second of consideration from the rules committee. If anything, we'll be lucky to keep the current rules in place without additional safety provisions - the idea that they'd remove safety provisions like touchbacks and fair catches is XFL type stuff.I understand what you are saying. However, if Bug Grant is right and there hasn't been any detectable/appreciable increase in the CFL under this rule, what is or where is the evidence supporting the alleged increase in player safety? Now I haven't researched the topic and therefore don't know whether Bud Grant is accurate in claiming there isn't an increase in injuries in the CFL.

If the rules stay the same or are revised to allegedly protect players more by moving the placement of the ball on the kickoff, etc. the NFL might as well do away with the kickoff and punt because they are wasted plays that allow the NFL and networks to sandwich commercial breaks around these plays.

Buff
03-25-2014, 10:07 AM
I understand what you are saying. However, if Bug Grant is right and there hasn't been any detectable/appreciable increase in the CFL under this rule, what is or where is the evidence supporting the alleged increase in player safety? Now I haven't researched the topic and therefore don't know whether Bud Grant is accurate in claiming there isn't an increase in injuries in the CFL.

If the rules stay the same or are revised to allegedly protect players more by moving the placement of the ball on the kickoff, etc. the NFL might as well do away with the kickoff and punt because they are wasted plays that allow the NFL and networks to sandwich commercial breaks around these plays.

I think the NFL is approaching it from a volume standpoint. Fewer returns equals fewer collisions which equals fewer injuries. And it's only a matter of time until they do away with kickoffs IMO.

luckyseven
03-25-2014, 12:54 PM
I think the NFL is approaching it from a volume standpoint. Fewer returns equals fewer collisions which equals fewer injuries. And it's only a matter of time until they do away with kickoffs IMO.

To lessen injuries. Eliminate kick offs and place the ball on whatever the average spot the ball started on in 2013.

For us it would be about the 18 yard line.

As for punting leave the rules alone it is a strategic method of ball placement.
Out of bounds if you fear the return guy.
Inside the ten to force them to go the distance.
Into or thru the end zone also to take the return out.

Ravage!!!
03-25-2014, 12:58 PM
taking the KO out of the game would be a travesty. The KO return can be one of the most exciting plays in football, and to remove it is sickening.

VonDoom
03-25-2014, 02:49 PM
Goal post dunking is going away, and with it, just a bit more fun in the NFL ...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10671807/nfl-penalize-goal-post-dunk-next-season

Previously, dunks were grandfathered in as a legal celebration, along with the Lambeau Leap.

"We grandfathered in some, the Lambeau Leap and things like that, but dunking will come out," Blandino said, according to NFL.com. "Using the ball as a prop or any object as a prop, whether that's the goalpost, the crossbar, that will come out and that will be a foul next season."

Denver Native (Carol)
03-25-2014, 03:09 PM
Goal post dunking is going away, and with it, just a bit more fun in the NFL ...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10671807/nfl-penalize-goal-post-dunk-next-season

Previously, dunks were grandfathered in as a legal celebration, along with the Lambeau Leap.

"We grandfathered in some, the Lambeau Leap and things like that, but dunking will come out," Blandino said, according to NFL.com. "Using the ball as a prop or any object as a prop, whether that's the goalpost, the crossbar, that will come out and that will be a foul next season."

Totally ridiculous :rolleyes: IMO, the only reason they will not remove the Lambeau Leap, is because GB started that, and they are the only public owned team in the NFL.

Ravage!!!
03-25-2014, 03:16 PM
Totally ridiculous :rolleyes: IMO, the only reason they will not remove the Lambeau Leap, is because GB started that, and they are the only public owned team in the NFL.

Remember, for a while they penalized people for doing that in ANY OTHER stadium...but people were outraged that the Packers were somehow allowed this.

I think this rule is absolutely stupid. Supposedly the fact that Graham dunked one last year that moved the goal post enough that it took time to "re-adjust" the goalpost, and therefor the new rule.

Whatever their reasoning, its just stupid.

Buff
03-25-2014, 03:17 PM
I actually don't mind the goalpost dunk rule because it's stupid to delay the game when the goalpost gets knocked off balance.

It's the other celebration rules which don't really serve any purpose other than to cut down on fun that bother me.

luckyseven
03-25-2014, 03:40 PM

I think most teams do not leap for several reasons. The walls are to high and frankly it is a GB tradition.

Most folks want to do something original. TD started the MHS, an original celebration.

The walls are high for several reasons mostly to keep morons from jumping out of the stands and running on the field Nad perhaps Richie I from going into the stands.

Does anyone want a goalpost to fail on their favorite TE.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-26-2014, 10:24 AM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 13m

Super Bowl committee tabled discussion on outdoor stadium/cold weather cities like Denver till NFL spring meetings in May.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 1h

Adding more cameras throughout the field of play was tabled.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 1h

Defeated: Proposal to move kickoff up from 35 yard line to 40.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 1h

Defeated was proposals to eliminate first roster cutdown to 75 players; and bringing more players back from IR.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 1h

The goal posts extension of 5 more yards was approved.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 1h

Thursday game-day roster increase from 46 to 49 players; increase practice squad from 8 to 10, tabled till discussion with players union.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 1h

Experiment: Preseason games 1 and 2, extra point will be snapped from 20.Not 25 as proposed. Will discuss experiment for 2015.

Ravage!!!
03-26-2014, 11:12 AM
geeezus.... kicking from the Effing 40 yrd line. Frak Goodell.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-26-2014, 11:16 AM

According to Klis, that one was defeated

Denver Native (Carol)
03-26-2014, 12:25 PM
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — The NFL will place a heavy emphasis on enforcing its player conduct rules, something Rams coach Jeff Fisher calls "a front-of-the-book issue."

As the league's spring meetings wrapped up Wednesday with Commissioner Roger Goodell saying expansion of the playoffs next season is possible, sportsmanship — and lack thereof — was the prime topic.

"We're going to clean the game up on the field," said Fisher, co-chairman of the influential competition committee. "The in-your-face taunting, those types of things, the language. It's all in the (rule) book. It's all under unsportsmanlike conduct. There's no change in our rule. We're going to enforce the current rule."

rest - http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/03/26/nfl-to-emphasize-player-conduct-rules/6906799/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+UsatodaycomNfl-TopStories+%28USATODAY+-+NFL+Top+Stories%29

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-26-2014, 03:04 PM
I actually don't mind the goalpost dunk rule because it's stupid to delay the game when the goalpost gets knocked off balance.

It's the other celebration rules which don't really serve any purpose other than to cut down on fun that bother me.

That's a good point...I thought it was petty to punish the celebration, but delaying the game makes sense....I mean the punishment thereof. :D

Touchdown Denver
03-27-2014, 01:13 PM
I started a thread in the Football 101 section after rule change proposals were voted on to spell out what did and did not change, then posted the NFL.com link. So if you want to know my opinions, go over there.

Valar Morghulis
03-27-2014, 04:05 PM
What if in the fourth quarter the offence could not run the clock down on a negative play?

Buff
03-27-2014, 05:59 PM
What if in the fourth quarter the offence could not run the clock down on a negative play?

Welcome, dave... What would be the point of that? Also, are you European?

spikerman
03-27-2014, 06:02 PM

Of course, you realize that Goodell has nothing to do with proposed rule changes, right?

Valar Morghulis
03-27-2014, 08:16 PM
It would give the D a chance to win right up until the last minute.

I just think if they are talking about changing PAT because it had turned into a formality then surely victory formation must also be viewed as a formality.

But yes I am European - Scottish. Why what gave me away?!

spikerman
03-27-2014, 08:29 PM

I just think if they are talking about changing PAT because it had turned into a formality then surely victory formation must also be viewed as a formality.

I believe it was the way you spelled "offence."

Buff
03-27-2014, 08:37 PM

We spell offense with an "s" in the states. ;)

I think that's an interesting suggestion. Games are already pretty long, though, and that would only help the defense if it was a one score game. More often than not the defense is going to be trailing by more than one score and you're just needlessly lengthening the game.

BroncoWave
03-27-2014, 08:39 PM

Had literally nothing to do with Goodell. Teams/owners propose rule changes. Not the commish.

BroncoWave
03-27-2014, 08:40 PM
We spell offense with an "s" in the states. ;)

I think that's an interesting suggestion. Games are already pretty long, though, and that would only help the defense if it was a one score game. More often than not the defense is going to be trailing by more than one score and you're just needlessly lengthening the game.

The rule could easily be adjusted to only make the clock stop on negative plays if it's a one possession game.

MOtorboat
03-27-2014, 08:42 PM
The rule could easily be adjusted to only make the clock stop on negative plays if it's a one possession game.

Determining whether or not it was a positive or negative gain would be a nightmare. And what do you do, review the close calls to make sure the spot is right?

No way. That rule would blow.

BroncoWave
03-27-2014, 08:44 PM
Determining whether or not it was a positive or negative gain would be a nightmare. And what do you do, review the close calls to make sure the spot is right?

No way. That rule would blow.

The Arena League has/had that rule I'm pretty sure and they seemed to make it work.

Simple Jaded
03-27-2014, 09:07 PM
Feed your lawn, feed it!

Buff
03-27-2014, 09:48 PM

Realistically it would be easily skirted with a QB sneak - and the rules committee isn't going to support creating a rule which creates more "Schiano scrums" or contact for the QB. Plus it's just too inconsistent with the rest of the clock stoppage rules. Good rule for Arena - doesn't make sense in the NFL.

BroncoWave
03-27-2014, 09:49 PM
I realize it would be hard to implement, but I do like the idea of making teams have to play it out instead of taking a knee.

Valar Morghulis
03-28-2014, 03:11 AM
Pesky spelling giving me away!

I never knew they tried it in the arena league, but i just like idea of the game not being over until it's over otherwise they may as well cut out the kneel down and take the players off whilst the clock runs down.