PDA

View Full Version : Kiszla: Broncos need new acquisitions to provide leadership voice

Denver Native (Carol)
03-19-2014, 11:53 AM
OK, Broncos executive John Elway bought a ton of defensive talent for $110 million.

But before giving Elway a grade of A on his free-agent bonanza, here's the caveat. If the Broncos failed to find bona fide leaders during their spending spree, the ballyhooed signings of defensive end DeMarcus Ware, cornerback Aqib Talib and safety T.J. Ward won't be worth a dime.

The Broncos ranked 22nd among 32 NFL teams in points allowed last season. Their defensive holes were obvious.

What the Denver defense lacked most in 2013, however, was a voice.

rest - interesting
http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_25372409/kiszla-broncos-need-new-acquisitions-provide-leadership-voice

OrangeHoof
03-19-2014, 12:51 PM
Their two "leaders" were MIA most of the year. Hard to lead when you aren't on the field. I am usually dubious of a first-year player on a team (even a veteran star from some other team) becoming a leader the first year.

Davii
03-19-2014, 01:16 PM
Their two "leaders" were MIA most of the year. Hard to lead when you aren't on the field. I am usually dubious of a first-year player on a team (even a veteran star from some other team) becoming a leader the first year.

I'm certainly not dubious of veterans from another team becoming a leader the first day they step on the field. Leadership has nothing to do with how long you know people. Besides, even if it did, the NFL is a small world. Every guy in that locker room knows who Ware is and what he brings to the table, ditto Talib and Ward. Manning was instantly the team leader because he's a hell of a leader, not because he was here for a few years.

artie_dale
03-19-2014, 01:27 PM
I'm certainly not dubious of veterans from another team becoming a leader the first day they step on the field. Leadership has nothing to do with how long you know people. Besides, even if it did, the NFL is a small world. Every guy in that locker room knows who Ware is and what he brings to the table, ditto Talib and Ward. Manning was instantly the team leader because he's a hell of a leader, not because he was here for a few years.

True story^^^ Leadership just happens. Sometimes, when there is no clear leader, the team has to choose. But, in most cases, leaders establish themselves right way and when asked, the rest of the team can point them out.

luckyseven
03-19-2014, 02:21 PM
Not sure that anyone on the cowboys would say Ware did not,lead them, same goes for Ward in Cleveland.

We all saw what happened to the pats in the playoff when Talib went,out of the game. Was it leadership or just his playmaking?

They are all gamers, thus they will bring the level of play around them by making plays.

Not all teams need a ray lewis to rah rah before the game.

A simple look from Manning is more effective than having someone get in their face.