PDA

View Full Version : Will Montgomery, ex-Washington center, now being lured by Broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
03-16-2014, 01:02 PM
The Broncos will visit with former Washington center Will Montgomery early this week, according to two NFL sources.

Montgomery started the last three years in Washington under ex-coach Mike Shanahan. He was released Friday.

If the Broncos can sign Montgomery, he would replace Manny Ramirez at center and Ramirez would move back to left guard in place of the departed Zane Beadles.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25355506/will-montgomery-ex-washington-center-broncos

smith49
03-16-2014, 01:10 PM
Man, I thought manny was way better at center then he was at guard. Don't know anything about Montgomery, just know manny is not who I'd like to see at LG if at all possible.

topscribe
03-16-2014, 01:10 PM
Montgomery weighs in at 304 (http://www.nfl.com/player/willmontgomery/2495914/profile). With him at center, Manny at LG, and Vasquez at
RG, that would be a lot of beef on that line, and Clady and Franklin aren't midgets.
It seems that should have the RBs clicking their respective heels with joy . . .

Dapper Dan
03-16-2014, 01:12 PM
Interesting. I was wondering if we would get a C and send Manny to LG.

smith49
03-16-2014, 01:15 PM
Didn't manny kind of stink it up at LG two seasons ago?? Or am I making up stuff in my head again???

Simple Jaded
03-16-2014, 01:16 PM
Sweet, Shanatan has the worst eye for OL in the history of ever.

Ziggy
03-16-2014, 01:18 PM
Didn't manny kind of stink it up at LG two seasons ago?? Or am I making up stuff in my head again???

No, he did. He also stunk at center in training camp and preseason. Center is played more with the head and less with the physical side of it though. That's why most centers tend to be smaller. Half of the time they're helping one guard or the other out in blocking. Manny was fantastic at center the 2nd half of the season. Let's see how this all plays out in training camp. I still expect Elway to draft a big stud guard in the first or 2nd round.

elsid13
03-16-2014, 01:20 PM
Not a fan of this at all he is really really bad.

Simple Jaded
03-16-2014, 01:24 PM
No, he did. He also stunk at center in training camp and preseason. Center is played more with the head and less with the physical side of it though. That's why most centers tend to be smaller. Half of the time they're helping one guard or the other out in blocking. Manny was fantastic at center the 2nd half of the season. Let's see how this all plays out in training camp. I still expect Elway to draft a big stud guard in the first or 2nd round.

It was RG though, subbing for Kuper. To be honest I think his time a C would help him at G.

topscribe
03-16-2014, 01:30 PM
Not a fan of this at all he is really really bad.
He WAS really, really bad. Players can grow in ability over two years' time. Not
saying he has, but I believe he should have the chance, if it comes to that. As
Jaded said, his stint at center may have helped in that regard, and he did pretty
well there.

Ziggy
03-16-2014, 01:31 PM
Do we really know for sure that the plan is to move Manny to guard? This is Klis reporting this. His accuracy leaves a lot to be desired. This may just be a depth signing.

Ziggy
03-16-2014, 01:32 PM
Montgomery weighs in at 304 (http://www.nfl.com/player/willmontgomery/2495914/profile). With him at center, Manny at LG, and Vasquez at
RG, that would be a lot of beef on that line, and Clady and Franklin aren't midgets.
It seems that should have the RBs clicking their respective heels with joy . . .

That's about what Beadles weighs Top. It wouldn't add any beef to the line.

topscribe
03-16-2014, 01:36 PM
That's about what Beadles weighs Top. It wouldn't add any beef to the line.
I understand that. But the heft is more usable at G than C, as you yourself implied.
Guard is where it is needed. So it would, in effect, add beef to the running game,
it would seem since Manny would be putting his 320 lbs out there.

Dapper Dan
03-16-2014, 01:37 PM
Manny being "bad" was always blown out of proportion.

DenBronx
03-16-2014, 01:41 PM
Ummm just send us Richie Incognito and be done with it already.

Flame away now clowns.

topscribe
03-16-2014, 01:49 PM

Flame away now clowns.
Not sure I would be against that. This locker room would straighten him out in a
hurry. I can't think of one player there who wouldn't be on him like white on salt.

elsid13
03-16-2014, 01:56 PM
He WAS really, really bad. Players can grow in ability over two years' time. Not
saying he has, but I believe he should have the chance, if it comes to that. As
Jaded said, his stint at center may have helped in that regard, and he did pretty
well there.

He was horrible at center last season. Shanny even brought in Walton to see if can get some competion during the season. He is camp fodder at this point in his career.

topscribe
03-16-2014, 01:58 PM
He was horrible at center last season. Shanny even brought in Walton to see if can get some competion during the season. He is camp fodder at this point in his career.
Huh? Even many outside the Broncos in the league considered Manny a good
center. I think he did a fine job for the first year he ever played there.

elsid13
03-16-2014, 02:00 PM
Huh? Even many outside the Broncos in the league considered Manny a good
center. I think he did a fine job for the first year he ever played there.

I am talking about Montgomery

elsid13
03-16-2014, 02:02 PM

Flame away now clowns.

Why bring in below average guard that has been know to be a locker problem in both St. Louis and Miami? If there as pro-bowl talent that one thing, but there isn't.

Ziggy
03-16-2014, 02:02 PM

Flame away now clowns.

Incognito was always a good guard. This isn't some young group of green lineman we have here. Incognito wouldn't be running the locker room. He'd just be another lineman with a nasty attitude that plays hard every down. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

topscribe
03-16-2014, 02:05 PM
I am talking about Montgomery
Oh, well, you may be right. I'll admit, I don't know a lot about Montgomery. That
might be a sign right there. I suppose that the FO may be interested in him as
depth, then?

Lancane
03-16-2014, 03:05 PM
Interesting. I was wondering if we would get a C and send Manny to LG.

As did I. Despite some of the fans feeling that Ramirez was good at the center position, I believe it's obvious that Denver believes otherwise, they tried to get Dietrich-Smith who signed elsewhere, they talked with a couple center prospects that will be in the draft and now this. While Ramirez isn't the best guard, it's a position he knows all too well and he's a better fit at the position... Either way he was likely to be replaced by another veteran or by a draftee.

topscribe
03-16-2014, 03:13 PM
As did I. Despite some of the fans feeling that Ramirez was good at the center position, I believe it's obvious that Denver believes otherwise, they tried to get Dietrich-Smith who signed elsewhere, they talked with a couple center prospects that will be in the draft and now this. While Ramirez isn't the best guard, it's a position he knows all too well and he's a better fit at the position... Either way he was likely to be replaced by another veteran or by a draftee.
Well, when a player is switched, it doesn't necessarily mean he was particularly
bad where he has been playing. Such is the case, I believe with Ramirez. It would
seem to me that it has more to do with the hole left by Beadles than Ramirez'
play. If he was so bad at center, why would they like him back at guard if they
indeed to send him back there.

Lancane
03-16-2014, 03:50 PM
Well, when a player is switched, it doesn't necessarily mean he was particularly
bad where he has been playing. Such is the case, I believe with Ramirez. It would
seem to me that it has more to do with the hole left by Beadles than Ramirez'
play. If he was so bad at center, why would they like him back at guard if they
indeed to send him back there.

Top, there is more to being a center then blocking and snapping the ball. They literally are key to every play because they have to understand different aspects of not only the blocking scheme but the entire offense, unlike most other positions on the line, all the while also having to be in sync with the quarterback. Ramirez is a good guard, not great, he was an okay center but nothing special. Walton and Koppen were both better then Ramirez and had a better grasp of the in's and out's of the position, the state of the line is what forced Ramirez to take on the responsibility of the position and he literally made some humongous mistakes, had either of the other two been healthy, they'd still be the starter. And despite the argument of an adjustment period, it's a flawed theory. Chris Meyers went to Houston and started at Center and was nearly flawless and completely grasped all that the position entails. The top center prospect in this years draft was a left guard till this season and despite being a good guard he became a great center and is heading into the NFL as the best in the draft, we're talking about two with no experience but the mental capacity and fortitude to fit the bill. It's very similar to the wide assumption that Franklin should be moved inside, despite his accolades at offensive tackle, he might fit, he could be a monster, but it could also end up a complete failure, each position entails different aspects, but center due to the complexity of the position are harder to fill.

Montgomery isn't be looked at for depth, Dietrich-Smith who the Broncos went after hard is a legit starter and despite his flaws, Montgomery has been a starter for the past four or five seasons, he didn't start much his first few years in the league and he won't be looking at an Mack or Dietrich-Smith type contract, he'll be penciled in as the starter as the Broncos eliminate one need, I still expect them to draft a couple offensive lineman, but this allows them to be less concerned about it and he is capable, not great...but better then Ramirez, I also believe this allows Ramirez to play at a position that is more comfortable to him and less mentally stressful.

topscribe
03-16-2014, 03:54 PM
Top, there is more to being a center then blocking and snapping the ball. They literally are key to every play because they have to understand different aspects of not only the blocking scheme but the entire offense, unlike most other positions on the line, all the while also having to be in sync with the quarterback. Ramirez is a good guard, not great, he was an okay center but nothing special. Walton and Koppen were both better then Ramirez and had a better grasp of the in's and out's of the position, the state of the line is what forced Ramirez to take on the responsibility of the position and he literally made some humongous mistakes, had either of the other two been healthy, they'd still be the starter. And despite the argument of an adjustment period, it's a flawed theory. Chris Meyers went to Houston and started at Center and was nearly flawless and completely grasped all that the position entails. The top center prospect in this years draft was a left guard till this season and despite being a good guard he became a great center and is heading into the NFL as the best in the draft, we're talking about two with no experience but the mental capacity and fortitude to fit the bill. It's very similar to the wide assumption that Franklin should be moved inside, despite his accolades at offensive tackle, he might fit, he could be a monster, but it could also end up a complete failure, each position entails different aspects, but center due to the complexity of the position are harder to fill.
Thanks for the education, Cane, but it wasn't needed. I had that information, oh,
four or five decades ago.

But you seem still to gloss over the fact that Manny had never played center
before. With that in mind, I believe he did a fine job, Myers notwithstanding. BTW,
Meyers did a good job, but "flawless" is a bit hyperbolic, IMO.

DenBronx
03-16-2014, 04:06 PM
Why bring in below average guard that has been know to be a locker problem in both St. Louis and Miami? If there as pro-bowl talent that one thing, but there isn't.

He was a pro bowl guard. Guess that's below average.

DenBronx
03-16-2014, 04:08 PM
Not sure I would be against that. This locker room would straighten him out in a
hurry. I can't think of one player there who wouldn't be on him like white on salt.

Incognito was always a good guard. This isn't some young group of green lineman we have here. Incognito wouldn't be running the locker room. He'd just be another lineman with a nasty attitude that plays hard every down. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

That's why I really wouldn't be against it. Could you imagine him trying to bully Franklin or Clady? Lol

Plus Peyton don't play that ish.

Lancane
03-16-2014, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the education, Cane, but it wasn't needed. I had that information, oh,
four or five decades ago.

But you seem still to gloss over the fact that Manny had never played center
before. With that in mind, I believe he did a fine job, Myers notwithstanding. BTW,
Meyers did a good job, but "flawless" is a bit hyperbolic, IMO.

Well, I am glad I didn't need to educate you old friend, sometimes things do slip with age though and are needed to be reminded of...just saying! :lol:

Point still stands though, he has the physical frame that line coaches want in a center, he lacks everything else to a degree. I think with Vasquez at the other guard position that Ramirez will be a different story then his previous stint at the position, maybe not a world beater, but comparable to Beadles in many ways which is good enough. And your assumption is false Top, Ramirez his senior season in high school was rated as the 6th Best Center Prospect in the country by Rivals. He was moved to guard in college because the complexity of the Texas Tech offensive line was a little too much, it was more pro orientated at the time, he moved to guard and never looked back. The year he entered the draft, ESPN and CBS Sports graded him out as the 4th best overall offensive guard, he never lived up to his draft grade though, I'm sure that Ramirez could start at the position again if need be, hell...I'd even argue that his play was good enough to warrant a competitive shot to start, but I do believe he is a better guard then center though.

Regarding that last part, about Meyers...it's not hyperbolic, Meyers went from what we'd consider a journeyman guard to a top ten center in one season, earning several AP Pro Bowl votes.

topscribe
03-16-2014, 04:49 PM
Well, I am glad I didn't need to educate you old friend, sometimes things do slip with age though and are needed to be reminded of...just saying! :lol:

Point still stands though, he has the physical frame that line coaches want in a center, he lacks everything else to a degree. I think with Vasquez at the other guard position that Ramirez will be a different story then his previous stint at the position, maybe not a world beater, but comparable to Beadles in many ways which is good enough. And your assumption is false Top, Ramirez his senior season in high school was rated as the 6th Best Center Prospect in the country by Rivals. He was moved to guard in college because the complexity of the Texas Tech offensive line was a little too much, it was more pro orientated at the time, he moved to guard and never looked back. The year he entered the draft, ESPN and CBS Sports graded him out as the 4th best overall offensive guard, he never lived up to his draft grade though, I'm sure that Ramirez could start at the position again if need be, hell...I'd even argue that his play was good enough to warrant a competitive shot to start, but I do believe he is a better guard then center though.

Regarding that last part, about Meyers...it's not hyperbolic, Meyers went from what we'd consider a journeyman guard to a top ten center in one season, earning several AP Pro Bowl votes.
Well, I didn't know that about Manny. Shows how much I should trust what I
simply read elsewhere. :tsk: But this still is the first he has played that position on
the pro level. (Perhaps that is what I missed.) And all that you wrote about
what is involved in playing center really only supports my position. Manny spent
last year learning how to play the position. If he stays there this year, I fully
expect a jump in his play.

But did you know that one organization (PFT, IIRC) has Manny ranked #7 among
centers? At any rate, I do believe he is better physically built to play guard than
center. And while his play two years ago was less than desirable, I believe he is
much better as a player than he was then.

But just think: If Montgomery were to join and start, and Manny went to LG,
that would be Clady 315, Ramirez 320, Montgomery 304, Vasquez 335, and
Franklin 320 across the board. The new Hogs, perhaps?

toodles_belle
03-16-2014, 04:54 PM
I feel like Peyton really liked Manny though. He kept praising him during interviews. It's kind of hard to establish that kind of rapport/chemistry with a demanding QB like peyton and a complex offense like what the broncos have..

artie_dale
03-16-2014, 05:03 PM
This being Ramirez's first year at Center, I give a lot of credit to Peyton. To think Ramirez didn't learn a thing or two from blocking in a Peyton Manning passing system would be pretty hard to swallow. If he's moved back to LG, I'm confident he'll play it better than he has in the past simply because he's had more experience elsewhere at a tougher position. I like the move and am not worried about it so much since they all do work under Peyton.

TXBRONC
03-16-2014, 05:24 PM
Manny was much a better center than he was a guard. He and Vasquez formed a pretty solid duo I would hate to see that get disrupted.

Lancane
03-16-2014, 05:25 PM
Well, I didn't know that about Manny. Shows how much I should trust what I
simply read elsewhere. :tsk: But this still is the first he has played that position on
the pro level. (Perhaps that is what I missed.) And all that you wrote about
what is involved in playing center really only supports my position. Manny spent
last year learning how to play the position. If he stays there this year, I fully
expect a jump in his play.

But did you know that one organization (PFT, IIRC) has Manny ranked #7 among
centers? At any rate, I do believe he is better physically built to play guard than
center. And while his play two years ago was less than desirable, I believe he is
much better as a player than he was then.

But just think: If Montgomery were to join and start, and Manny went to LG,
that would be Clady 315, Ramirez 320, Montgomery 304, Vasquez 335, and
Franklin 320 across the board. The new Hogs, perhaps?

No matter what happens, the Broncos are concerned about the line which is good, some teams feel good enough to ignore it to a degree. Even if Denver doesn't sign Montgomery which could be difficult with signing Sanders, I believe that they'll address it in the draft. I also believe that Ramirez has warranted a chance to compete at either the guard or center position and will likely depend on who the Broncos bring in. Denver has met with Bitonio and Larsen, two of my favorite lineman in the draft...I rather like the idea of our own version of the hogs. Needless to say, I support either direction - even if that means leaving Ramirez at center, but he better eliminate the mental mistakes if he wants to keep the job.

underrated29
03-16-2014, 05:30 PM
I still maintain we are doing everything in our power to hide our intentions of wanting Xavier sua filo.

I believe this center will be our backup center we so desperately need. I'm willing to bet if/when we sign him his contract is very low and that of a backup.

Manram is our center and he did AWESOME for us. He is a C not a guard. This guy will back him up and we are going x or gabe with our first pick.

topscribe
03-16-2014, 05:31 PM
No matter what happens, the Broncos are concerned about the line which is good, some teams feel good enough to ignore it to a degree. Even if Denver doesn't sign Montgomery which could be difficult with signing Sanders, I believe that they'll address it in the draft. I also believe that Ramirez has warranted a chance to compete at either the guard or center position and will likely depend on who the Broncos bring in. Denver has met with Bitonio and Larsen, two of my favorite lineman in the draft...I rather like the idea of our own version of the hogs. Needless to say, I support either direction - even if that means leaving Ramirez at center, but he better eliminate the mental mistakes if he wants to keep the job.
Including no more hikes over Peyton's head . . . :tsk:

Northman
03-16-2014, 05:52 PM

Flame away now clowns.

Wont happen. Flame away. :D

HORSEPOWER 56
03-16-2014, 06:04 PM
I still think we should move Franklin to LG and either try out Clark at RT or draft a RT. Franklin is great when he can move forward and use his size in a phone booth, but he's not the best pass protector vs speed rushers out on the edge (as seen by the Indy and SB games).

Don't get me wrong, I love what Franklin brings in run blocking, but I'd rather have that in the middle where a guy like Ball can thrive than on the edge. With as much shotgun draw as we run, the majority of our runs are between the tackles anyway. I worry that he's been exposed a little after the SB. We pass so much that it's more important for our tackles to be pass protectors than run blockers, IMO.

Rick
03-16-2014, 06:43 PM
Best memory I have of Ramirez was in a game he yelled at Payton to hurry up. Loved it, took some balls lol.

underrated29
03-16-2014, 07:11 PM
I still think we should move Franklin to LG and either try out Clark at RT or draft a RT. Franklin is great when he can move forward and use his size in a phone booth, but he's not the best pass protector vs speed rushers out on the edge (as seen by the Indy and SB games).

Don't get me wrong, I love what Franklin brings in run blocking, but I'd rather have that in the middle where a guy like Ball can thrive than on the edge. With as much shotgun draw as we run, the majority of our runs are between the tackles anyway. I worry that he's been exposed a little after the SB. We pass so much that it's more important for our tackles to be pass protectors than run blockers, IMO.

To be fair I am pretty sure we slid protection over to Clark's side against Seattle. Orlando is not a LG IMO I do not think he would do all that well and I'm not sure he can pull like we want. He was always fine when we had clady in the lineup but when he went out we slid more protection over to that side....I'm pretty sure.

topscribe
03-16-2014, 07:16 PM
To be fair I am pretty sure we slid protection over to Clark's side against Seattle. Orlando is not a LG IMO I do not think he would do all that well and I'm not sure he can pull like we want. He was always fine when we had clady in the lineup but when he went out we slid more protection over to that side....I'm pretty sure.
Yes, no one really knows just how good a LG Franklin would make. It would be
interesting to experiment a little during TC. However, FA and the draft come well
before that, so they are going to have to do something about personnel before
then. So we may never know . . .

NightTerror218
03-16-2014, 07:18 PM

Pretty sure it was Clark getting owned in the Indy game not franklin.

topscribe
03-16-2014, 07:21 PM
Pretty sure it was Clark getting owned in the Indy game not franklin.
No, Franklin did quite well during the season. He did falter a bit against Seattle, but who didn't?

Lancane
03-16-2014, 07:30 PM
I still maintain we are doing everything in our power to hide our intentions of wanting Xavier sua filo.

I believe this center will be our backup center we so desperately need. I'm willing to bet if/when we sign him his contract is very low and that of a backup.

Manram is our center and he did AWESOME for us. He is a C not a guard. This guy will back him up and we are going x or gabe with our first pick.

A) That's opinionative, there is nothing linking Sua-Filo to the Broncos and I could as easily come up with that Denver is trying to fill as many needs as possible so they're free to trade up and take C.J. Mosley. 2) Montgomery has been a starter in this league the past four years, why the F' would he come here to be a backup? He could easily be an upgrade for a number of teams? So that comment is completely baseless, not to mention that your ignoring other key factors, such as the Broncos tried to sign Dietrich-Smith just days ago, he's about as much a backup center as Nalen was, the team inquired about Alex Mack, guess he was meant to be a backup as well or how about the fact that Denver could more easily re-sign Vallos to come and be the backup for much less? How about the fact that Denver has met with a couple of the top center draftees for this years draft? Or better yet, that John Elway told the post that there was a big possibility of bringing in a center and moving Ramirez to left guard? See how fruitless your argument is there UR? 3) He did okay, not awesome despite the billowing smoke coming that people want to blow out their ***es, he is a guard not a center, he was a center once, half the guards in the NFL were tackles once...but the fact is that he struggles in a pro blocking scheme in college was then moved to guard, stayed at guard and was drafted as a guard. And while the Broncos may go offensive line with their first pick, that is your belief, you have not a shred of proof to support either argument you just made...quite frankly, it's the worst argument I've heard you make in a long, long time.

Simple Jaded
03-16-2014, 09:42 PM
Franklin played well enough at LG in college that they slide him over to LT, fact is, RT was completely new to him when he came to Denver.

underrated29
03-16-2014, 11:02 PM
A) That's opinionative, there is nothing linking Sua-Filo to the Broncos and I could as easily come up with that Denver is trying to fill as many needs as possible so they're free to trade up and take C.J. Mosley. 2) Montgomery has been a starter in this league the past four years, why the F' would he come here to be a backup? He could easily be an upgrade for a number of teams? So that comment is completely baseless, not to mention that your ignoring other key factors, such as the Broncos tried to sign Dietrich-Smith just days ago, he's about as much a backup center as Nalen was, the team inquired about Alex Mack, guess he was meant to be a backup as well or how about the fact that Denver could more easily re-sign Vallos to come and be the backup for much less? How about the fact that Denver has met with a couple of the top center draftees for this years draft? Or better yet, that John Elway told the post that there was a big possibility of bringing in a center and moving Ramirez to left guard? See how fruitless your argument is there UR? 3) He did okay, not awesome despite the billowing smoke coming that people want to blow out their ***es, he is a guard not a center, he was a center once, half the guards in the NFL were tackles once...but the fact is that he struggles in a pro blocking scheme in college was then moved to guard, stayed at guard and was drafted as a guard. And while the Broncos may go offensive line with their first pick, that is your belief, you have not a shred of proof to support either argument you just made...quite frankly, it's the worst argument I've heard you make in a long, long time.

Well alrighty then.

Dapper Dan
03-16-2014, 11:04 PM
Xavier Su'a Filo could be targeted by Denver Broncos

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000334252/article/xavier-sua-filo-could-be-targeted-by-denver-broncos

Simple Jaded
03-16-2014, 11:04 PM
Well alrighty then.

Wow, that escalated quickly!

underrated29
03-16-2014, 11:05 PM
Seriously though I still maintain that's the plan. If I'm wrong, oh well....

One thing though, I have watched some of Cj Mosley and I came away unimpressed. I was going to type this up a little in another mock tomorrow, but to me he seems like a faster WW. I didn't see much of anything he did that woody could not except rush the passer and drop quicker into coverage. The rest, to me was eh....and I know pretty much everyone likes him....all the posters, all the analysts...aside from Mack there are only two ilb that I like. I will do a little watching of the last one...shakier tonight.

Dapper Dan
03-16-2014, 11:16 PM
Just because a player in the draft doesn't have ties to a team doesn't mean they won't draft him.

topscribe
03-17-2014, 01:37 AM

One thing though, I have watched some of Cj Mosley and I came away unimpressed. I was going to type this up a little in another mock tomorrow, but to me he seems like a faster WW. I didn't see much of anything he did that woody could not except rush the passer and drop quicker into coverage. The rest, to me was eh....and I know pretty much everyone likes him....all the posters, all the analysts...aside from Mack there are only two ilb that I like. I will do a little watching of the last one...shakier tonight.
A faster Woodyard? Woody is pretty fast . . .

Lancane
03-17-2014, 02:12 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000334252/article/xavier-sua-filo-could-be-targeted-by-denver-broncos

Notice the title, could be targeted...again opinionative. Until the Broncos meet with him or show a heady interest it is speculative...not that I wouldn't mind them drafting him, he's a beast.

Lancane
03-17-2014, 02:18 AM

That is fine UR, I am not here to change your position or opinion, but regarding your Ramirez statement that everything points to the contrary with the front office brass.

I think you meant Shazier and despite what people are saying, he's a pure Sam/Rover Linebacker that people are trying to fit into our defense because of his skill not his qualification at the inside position and mostly because the Broncos took Miller and turned him into a 4-3 facet when he was a better fit in a 3-4 by most analysts. Mosley athletically and skill wise is comparable to Al Wilson, he could end up being better in fact...but the two have a lot of similarities in their playing style.

Lancane
03-17-2014, 02:21 AM
Just because a player in the draft doesn't have ties to a team doesn't mean they won't draft him.

That is true, but most players that have no ties or previous meetings with the Broncos are rarely drafted by them, in fact only a few instances is it the opposite occurring...JFYI.

elsid13
03-17-2014, 06:21 AM
That is true, but most players that have no ties or previous meetings with the Broncos are rarely drafted by them, in fact only a few instances is it the opposite occurring...JFYI.

Like Wolfe or Williams? Elway like Shanahan goes sleuth mode when comes to his first picks and rarely brings them in for meeting. I don't think Ball was brought in either. I doubt Elway moves up for pick in the 1st, he seem to let the draft play out and move from there.

Shazam!
03-17-2014, 06:38 AM

Flame away now clowns.

Actually, I am for this.

I thought Lichtensteiger was starting there, anyway.

Lancane
03-17-2014, 06:42 AM
Like Wolfe or Williams? Elway like Shanahan goes sleuth mode when comes to his first picks and rarely brings them in for meeting. I don't think Ball was brought in either. I doubt Elway moves up for pick in the 1st, he seem to let the draft play out and move from there.

Completely false; Wolfe had brief contact with the Broncos, it wasn't anything ground shaking spectacular - but that is why each meeting no matter how brief is worth noting. On Williams you are correct, do you know why? Because they had Williams being long gone before they would pick the Broncos graded him at as a Top 20 pick, they were ecstatic to be able to get him. Ball wasn't brought in, but he did talk with Broncos' officials, Ball even said that when he first met them he was awed because his heroes growing up were Terrell Davis and John Elway. John Elway is no sleuth and doesn't underhand the process like Shanahan, who went to a friend to learn about his possible future franchise quarterback. Some players will be taken unaware because they fall into their laps, but Denver does it's due diligence in the process, hell they could meet with a kid at the East-West game and that would be enough to be on their board. Last year Denver drafted five players they met with, the year before was six or seven and the year before was four or five, it's not always the one's that get wined and dined like Osweiler or they can meet the player about anywhere and be sold...odds favor that they have had contact no matter how minuscule with the majority of the players they draft.

CrazyHorse
03-17-2014, 06:47 AM
Even if we sign him, it doesn't mean he'll be a starter. It would be good move for depth considering we lost Koppen and Walton.

elsid13
03-17-2014, 06:50 AM
Actually, I am for this.

I thought Lichtensteiger was starting there, anyway.

Lichtensteiger was the starting LG.

Lancane
03-17-2014, 08:08 AM
Even if we sign him, it doesn't mean he'll be a starter. It would be good move for depth considering we lost Koppen and Walton.

A four year starter versus a center with only one season under his belt at the position and who struggled to be more then depth up till last season which was due to injury and not exactly earned? Okay, if you say so.

Lancane
03-17-2014, 08:09 AM
Lichtensteiger was the starting LG.

Funny how we drafted Lichtensteiger and he becomes a solid guard elsewhere, we drafted Chris Meyers who goes on to be a top center elsewhere and that is just two examples, I am sure there are a couple more.

Dapper Dan
03-17-2014, 10:49 AM
http://www.milehighreport.com/2014/3/1/5453418/denver-broncos-2014-nfl-draft-interests-tracker

That's who the Broncos have met with. I guess that means we are drafting Brandin Cooks or probably reaching for someone.

silkamilkamonico
03-17-2014, 11:24 AM
Am sure if we signed this dude it would be strictly for depth.

Dapper Dan
03-17-2014, 11:26 AM
We can never have too many Centers.

DenBronx
03-17-2014, 11:38 AM
Wont happen. Flame away. :D

I know it wont but I do think he would be better than what we have. And like a few others said, his ways wouldnt fly here because it would be our way or the highway.

DenBronx
03-17-2014, 11:40 AM
Funny how we drafted Lichtensteiger and he becomes a solid guard elsewhere, we drafted Chris Meyers who goes on to be a top center elsewhere and that is just two examples, I am sure there are a couple more.

Not sure why we got rid of either of those guys. Liked them both.

Lancane
03-17-2014, 02:23 PM
http://www.milehighreport.com/2014/3/1/5453418/denver-broncos-2014-nfl-draft-interests-tracker

That's who the Broncos have met with. I guess that means we are drafting Brandin Cooks or probably reaching for someone.

The Pro-Days are just really starting to get under way and they still have in-house visits. Brandin Cooks was a legit option IMHO had they not signed Sanders, they'll still likely take a wide receiver in the draft but by adding Sanders they can wait and take whoever they like who falls to a position they want to draft one at.

luckyseven
03-17-2014, 04:22 PM
Completely false; Wolfe had brief contact with the Broncos, it wasn't anything ground shaking spectacular - but that is why each meeting no matter how brief is worth noting. On Williams you are correct, do you know why? Because they had Williams being long gone before they would pick the Broncos graded him at as a Top 20 pick, they were ecstatic to be able to get him. Ball wasn't brought in, but he did talk with Broncos' officials, Ball even said that when he first met them he was awed because his heroes growing up were Terrell Davis and John Elway. John Elway is no sleuth and doesn't underhand the process like Shanahan, who went to a friend to learn about his possible future franchise quarterback. Some players will be taken unaware because they fall into their laps, but Denver does it's due diligence in the process, hell they could meet with a kid at the East-West game and that would be enough to be on their board. Last year Denver drafted five players they met with, the year before was six or seven and the year before was four or five, it's not always the one's that get wined and dined like Osweiler or they can meet the player about anywhere and be sold...odds favor that they have had contact no matter how minuscule with the majority of the players they draft.

They also have come up with players they took as UDFA those did not fall out of the sky they were rated just like the others and you can bet someone talked with them or their college and maybe even HS coaches.

John is nothing like either of his predecessors.

Ziggy
03-17-2014, 05:42 PM

They're both smaller guys that were drafted for the ZBS. Denver was moving to a hybrid scheme and wanted more beef on the line.
Chris Meyers- 290
Lichtensteiger- 284

Denver Native (Carol)
03-17-2014, 07:33 PM
After visiting with the Broncos on Monday, center Will Montgomery left Dove Valley without a contract.

The two sides negotiated but couldn’t reach an agreement. The Broncos will continue their search for an interior offensive lineman who can replace left guard Zane Beadles, who became a free agent and signed a six-year, $30 million deal with Jacksonville.

Had the Broncos signed Montgomery, who started all 16 games in each of the previous three seasons with the Washington Redskins, he would have been the leading candidate to become the starting center while Manny Ramirez or right tackle Orlando Franklin could have moved to left guard.

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2014/03/17/will-montgomery-visits-ends-without-contract/26727/

Denver Native (Carol)
03-17-2014, 07:35 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 1h

Broncos elect not to sign center Will Montgomery after visit. Search continues along interior OL.

luckyseven
03-17-2014, 08:19 PM
They're both smaller guys that were drafted for the ZBS. Denver was moving to a hybrid scheme and wanted more beef on the line.
Chris Meyers- 290
Lichtensteiger- 284
Went from those two lightweights to the lightest guy on the OL 304 pounds who just left with most of the rest 315 going to mid 330's

Twenty to fifty pounds each is a HUGE difference.

Simple Jaded
03-17-2014, 11:33 PM

I can name that tune in two notes, Mike Kubiak.

luckyseven
03-18-2014, 12:52 AM
I can name that tune in two notes, Mike Kubiak.

A bit of sarcasm perhaps?

elsid13
03-18-2014, 04:42 AM

Shanahan decided that he could play cheap with Myers (6th round tender) and Houston snatched him away. McDumbass decide that Lichtensteiger wasn't big enough to play in his power blocking scheme.

luckyseven
03-18-2014, 01:29 PM
Shanahan decided that he could play cheap with Myers (6th round tender) and Houston snatched him away. McDumbass decide that Lichtensteiger wasn't big enough to play in his power blocking scheme.

Seems he was. It big enough to play power blocking or for that matter pass protect.

He would be at least be 20 pounds lighter than anyone on the OL at this moment. Maybe closer to 30 pounds.

Let me add anyone they replace beadles with will likely be in the 320 plus pound range.

DenBronx
03-18-2014, 01:44 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 1h

Broncos elect not to sign center Will Montgomery after visit. Search continues along interior OL.

Thank God.