PDA

View Full Version : Emmauel Sanders to Broncos????

Pages : [1] 2

Denver Native (Carol)
03-15-2014, 08:33 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 19m

Neither team nor player's agent will confirm, but Broncos are expected to sign former Steelers WR Emmauel Sanders, per league sources.

smith49
03-15-2014, 08:44 PM
Looks like its a done deal.

broncohead
03-15-2014, 08:46 PM
I like him as a player but I don't see how he fits. Isn't he more of a slot guy than an outside WR?

CoachChaz
03-15-2014, 08:51 PM
I like him as a player but I don't see how he fits. Isn't he more of a slot guy than an outside WR?

He was an outside guy this year.

Simple Jaded
03-15-2014, 08:56 PM
Rotoworld says it's a done deal.

Simple Jaded
03-15-2014, 08:57 PM
Bubba has be all like "WTF?".

CoachChaz
03-15-2014, 08:59 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Lol

BroncoWave
03-15-2014, 09:00 PM

I doubt it. We still had to bring in another WR, as we only had 3 on the active roster before this signing.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-15-2014, 09:00 PM
The Denver Broncos are expected to sign wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders this weekend, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Sanders established career-highs in just about every major category in 2013, but inconsistency clouded his future with the Pittsburgh Steelers and ultimately led to his departure from the team that took him in the third round of the 2010 NFL draft.

Sanders is believed to be seeking a contract in the range of the five-year, $31.5 million deal ($13.25 million guaranteed) that former Seahawks wide receiver Golden Tate snagged from the Lions earlier this week.

rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10615325/emmanuel-sanders-expected-join-denver-broncos

VonDoom
03-15-2014, 09:06 PM
I'm curious to see the contract details. I doubt we give him what Tate got

Simple Jaded
03-15-2014, 09:10 PM
I doubt it. We still had to bring in another WR, as we only had 3 on the active roster before this signing.

Brandon LaFell is one thing, Sanders is a legit NFL starter tho.

Simple Jaded
03-15-2014, 09:11 PM
This might be the KR this season, btw.

CoachChaz
03-15-2014, 09:17 PM
Still in desperate need of CB depth

Dapper Dan
03-15-2014, 09:17 PM
It's going to be a big change. Big Ben waits like 15 seconds to throw the ball. Peyton is about 1.5 seconds.

dogfish
03-15-2014, 09:26 PM
Still in desperate need of CB depth

love to see that get taken care of next. . .

there can be no doubt, though. . . john is just methodically crossing needs off the list-- dude is a machine this off-season. . . maybe not the exact guys i would have wanted (they never are), but every guy he's brought in can play and fits a need. . . our cap space has to be getting pretty tight after this signing-- will be interesting to see what else we can work out. . .

SmilinAssasSin27
03-15-2014, 09:28 PM
I like it...assuming the cost is reasonable. WR needs depth and he seems to be following the "normal" nfl wr development schedule. He is not a #1, but he can help us. He can get open...especially if Ds consider him option #4. He will have occasional drops but so did Decker. Pitt fans dont mind him leaving, but they had overblown expectations from the door when he came from SMU. Some of my more reasinable friends who are steeler fans recognized his role. Good piece to have on your team...i'd still like Allen Robinson at 31 though.

Dapper Dan
03-15-2014, 09:29 PM

there can be no doubt, though. . . john is just methodically crossing needs off the list-- dude is a machine this off-season. . . maybe not the exact guys i would have wanted (they never are), but every guy he's brought in can play and fits a need. . . our cap space has to be getting pretty tight after this signing-- will be interesting to see what else we can work out. . .

It's crazy. Everytime I think we're almost finished, we pick up someone else. Elway seems like he doesn't want to fill holes via draft. That would be a nice luxury.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-15-2014, 09:30 PM

I heard 10 mil to work with after Ware signing and accounting for draft. This cant be more than 3-4 mil per. We can still get 1 more ol, lb or cb if needed.

luckyseven
03-15-2014, 09:31 PM

12 Caldwell, Andre WR 6-0 200 28 6 Florida
Norwood, Jordan WR 5-11 180 27 5 Penn State
13 Palmer, Nathan WR 5-11 198 24 2 Northern Illinois
88 Thomas, Demar WR 6-3 229 26 4 Georgia Tech
83 Welker, Wes WR 5-9 185 32 10 Texas Tech
15 Wilson, Greg WR 6-0 185 23 Fordham

looks like more than 3 on the roster and at this time there is no PS.

dogfish
03-15-2014, 09:32 PM
sanders also gives us a full-time slot guy to replace welker after this year. . .

BroncoWave
03-15-2014, 09:33 PM

Ok, let me rephrase. We only have 3 legitimate NFL WRs on our roster. It's obvious we were gonna bring in another guy. Calwell would have been naive to think otherwise.

Simple Jaded
03-15-2014, 09:33 PM

I think he meant actual NFL WR's, not camp stiffs.

Simple Jaded
03-15-2014, 09:34 PM
sanders also gives us a full-time slot guy to replace welker after this year. . .

This could be just a one- year/prove it deal, though.

luckyseven
03-15-2014, 09:35 PM
I like it...assuming the cost is reasonable. WR needs depth and he seems to be following the "normal" nfl wr development schedule. He is not a #1, but he can help us. He can get open...especially if Ds consider him option #4. He will have occasional drops but so did Decker. Pitt fans dont mind him leaving, but they had overblown expectations from the door when he came from SMU. Some of my more reasinable friends who are steeler fans recognized his role. Good piece to have on your team...i'd still like Allen Robinson at 31 though.

he is a bit small for OUR standards (6'3"+), but runs a 4.4 and can run back returns.

was pretty productive in PIT .

this allows us not to HAVE to go WR immediately. most likely any WR drafted would take time to learn routes and Mannings schemes anyway.

dogfish
03-15-2014, 09:36 PM
I heard 10 mil to work with after Ware signing and accounting for draft. This cant be more than 3-4 mil per. We can still get 1 more ol, lb or cb if needed.

needs to be a corner, as far as i'm concerned. . . bring in one more low-cost edge rusher (say, will smith on a one year deal), and start the draft prep. . . OL, WR, CB and MLB in some order with our top picks. . . sounds good to me. . .

dogfish
03-15-2014, 09:37 PM
This could be just a one- year/prove it deal, though.

every deal is now in the NFL, regardless of how many years they report. . . talib's so-called six-year, 57-million deal is voidable after next year with a 4 million cap hit. . . we won't cut sanders after a year unless he sucks, though, and he probably won't. . .

luckyseven
03-15-2014, 09:37 PM
Ok, let me rephrase. We only have 3 legitimate NFL WRs on our roster. It's obvious we were gonna bring in another guy. Calwell would have been naive to think otherwise.

I think JT is more of a WR than a TE also.

We do not know what Manning can do with any of these guys, he took some obscure WR as a colt and did some great things with them.

WARHORSE
03-15-2014, 09:46 PM
NFL NETWORK says we signed him.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-15-2014, 09:52 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 5m

So on it goes. Denver adds WR Emmanuel Sanders, New England adds WR Brandon LaFell.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-15-2014, 09:53 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m

Steve Smith, Brandon LaFell, Ted Ginn all gone from Carolina now. And left at WR for the Panthers is...

I know this does not belong in Broncos Talk - but it is kind of funny

Simple Jaded
03-15-2014, 09:55 PM
NFL NETWORK says we signed him.

I'm surprised the NFL Network took time away from their All-Patriots week (or as I like to call it, "Saturday"), to report on anything the rest of the league is doing.

Simple Jaded
03-15-2014, 09:57 PM

Steve Smith, Brandon LaFell, Ted Ginn all gone from Carolina now. And left at WR for the Panthers is...

Actually they have only a couple WR's and one of them is Tavaris King, the Broncos 5th rounder last year.

CoachChaz
03-15-2014, 10:18 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 5m

So on it goes. Denver adds WR Emmanuel Sanders, New England adds WR Brandon LaFell.

Makes you wonder if Lafell didnt jump on the Pats offer after learning Denver chose Sanders over him.

CoachChaz
03-15-2014, 10:19 PM

Actually they have only a couple WR's and one of them is Tavaris King, the Broncos 5th rounder last year.

McNutt is the other

dogfish
03-15-2014, 10:32 PM
yea, cam can't be real happy right about now. . .

Simple Jaded
03-15-2014, 10:55 PM
I think it's safe to assume that if a team really wants to draft a particular WR they might wanna get in front of the Panthers.

Simple Jaded
03-15-2014, 11:01 PM
Any word on what they paid him? I'm thinking along the same lines as the one year/$2.5 mil he got last year.

Jsteve01
03-15-2014, 11:23 PM

I know this does not belong in Broncos Talk - but it is kind of funny excellent effort by the Panthers especially given the fact that Cam is a free agent in two years and will really appreciate them trotting out an even worse receiving corps than he had last year.

Jsteve01
03-15-2014, 11:24 PM
I think it's safe to assume that if a team really wants to draft a particular WR they might wanna get in front of the Panthers. the only thing they have in their favor is an abnormally deep WR class, which means we probably will see some very solid players underdrafted

TXBRONC
03-16-2014, 08:15 AM
This is a nice pick up and definitely a better choice to replace Decker than a guy who is no better than a 5th option.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-16-2014, 08:15 AM
The wide receiver market is dwindling by the hour, with Emmanuel Sanders the next intriguing name to come to terms. He's especially intriguing because of where he's going.

Sanders is the latest free-agent prize of the Denver Broncos, NFL Media's Albert Breer reported Saturday, per a Broncos source. The former Steelers receiver presumably will take over Eric Decker's role in the Broncos' offense. Fox Sports' Alex Marvez first reported the news.

Sanders' journey to the Broncos was fascinating. He visited Jacksonville, Tampa Bay and Kansas City. NFL Media's Ian Rapoport reports that Sanders reached a verbal agreement with the Chiefs Saturday.

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000334406/article/emmanuel-sanders-agrees-to-join-denver-broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
03-16-2014, 08:17 AM
Emmanuel Sanders is expected to sign with the Broncos tomorrow, but the process that led him there left the other teams involved fuming and crying foul. One team official claimed Sanders' agent broke "every rule in negotiations."

Agent Steve Weinberg, on behalf of the receiver, accepted a deal with the Chiefs in principle, according to one team source. Weinberg then engaged in negotiations with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, according to another source involved in the process.

While shopping the Chiefs offer to the Bucs, Weinberg never explained that he had already accepted the terms of Kansas City's offer. Later in the night, Sanders' agent had agreed to terms with the Broncos, which is where he is currently headed. Sanders and Weinberg also rankled the 49ers by agreeing to visit, then blowing it off.

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000334409/article/executives-crying-foul-over-emmanuel-sanders-deal

TXBRONC
03-16-2014, 08:18 AM
He was an outside guy this year.

I think he's a much better option to replace Decker than Caldwell.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-16-2014, 08:20 AM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 8h

Chris Kuper filed retirement papers to league office Friday. Broncos found money for Emmanuel Sanders on Saturday. Kuper delivers once more.

Runamok
03-16-2014, 08:28 AM
Brandon LaFell is one thing, Sanders is a legit NFL starter tho.

I like this pickup. With Manning, Sanders could be special.

TXBRONC
03-16-2014, 08:29 AM
I like this pickup. With Manning, Sanders could be special.

I don't know about that but I think he will give Denver solid production.

Northman
03-16-2014, 08:53 AM
I don't know about that but I think he will give Denver solid production.

Yea, i think he will be solid enough but if people were annoyed by Decker's dropsies from time to time they better get ready for some more because Sanders has a tendency to have the same issue (if you want to call it that).

Simple Jaded
03-16-2014, 09:53 AM
Sanders has a lower drop rate than all of Denver's main receivers.

Northman
03-16-2014, 09:59 AM
Sanders has a lower drop rate than all of Denver's main receivers.

Not that ive seen and ive seen a lot of Pitt games being on the east coast.

VonDoom
03-16-2014, 10:05 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/36099/free-agent-profile-wr-emmanuel-sanders

He had only two drops last season out of 112 targets, per ESPN Stats & Info -- one of the lowest drop percentages in the league

Northman
03-16-2014, 10:06 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/36099/free-agent-profile-wr-emmanuel-sanders

He had only two drops last season out of 112 targets, per ESPN Stats & Info -- one of the lowest drop percentages in the league

I would challenge that. Like i said, you need to actually watch the games. Believe what you want but dont be mad when you see him drop wide open passes.

BroncoWave
03-16-2014, 10:11 AM
I would challenge that. Like i said, you need to actually watch the games. Believe what you want but dont be mad when you see him drop wide open passes.

You know, I bet the people who compiled those stats didn't actually watch the games at all. Makes total sense.

topscribe
03-16-2014, 10:12 AM
How can you challenge that? If he dropped two balls, that's an easy count, isn't it?

Northman
03-16-2014, 10:15 AM
How can you challenge that? If he dropped two balls, that's an easy count, isn't it?

Dont hate the messenger man, just telling you what ive personally seen.

VonDoom
03-16-2014, 10:28 AM

I honestly haven't watched many Steeler games recently, and the "eye test" sometimes tells you more than stats. I just didn't know much about the guy but saw that his drop numbers were listed as being low. I guess we'll see what happens when he's here.

Northman
03-16-2014, 10:30 AM
I honestly haven't watched many Steeler games recently, and the "eye test" sometimes tells you more than stats. I just didn't know much about the guy but saw that his drop numbers were listed as being low. I guess we'll see what happens when he's here.

Yea, he's fast but man ive seen him drop some wide open passes. He has speed so hopefully he pays off in the KR game.

BroncoWave
03-16-2014, 10:32 AM
Yea, he's fast but man ive seen him drop some wide open passes. He has speed so hopefully he pays off in the KR game.

So he's like Decker in that he drops passes, but is faster, cheaper, and will help out in the KR game. Sounds like a pretty awesome tradeoff to me.

topscribe
03-16-2014, 10:32 AM
Well, I don't really have a dog in this fight. I don't know much about the guy. My
impression on the surface, however, is that the Broncos may have nabbed
someone who will compete with Bubba for #4. Where I hope he makes a splash
is on STs. But, personally, I still wouldn't be upset if the Broncos drafted
Brandin Cooks. On the other hand, I may just be all wet . . .

Northman
03-16-2014, 10:33 AM
So he's like Decker in that he drops passes, but is faster, cheaper, and will help out in the KR game. Sounds like a pretty awesome tradeoff to me.

I dont know if its an "awesome" tradeoff but he should be serviceable to a degree.

Northman
03-16-2014, 10:35 AM
Well, I don't really have a dog in this fight. I don't know much about the guy. My
impression on the surface, however, is that the Broncos may have nabbed
someone who will compete with Bubba for #4. Where I hope he makes a splash
is on STs. But, personally, I still wouldn't be upset if the Broncos drafted
Brandin Cooks. On the other hand, I may just be all wet . . .

Well, i can say this. I feel more comfortable with Sanders at KR's than i do Holliday. I get really nervous when teams kick to Holliday even though i know he can break them too. But, Sanders should help put people's mind at ease on returns.

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
03-16-2014, 10:46 AM
Sanders is smaller, but definitely appears faster than Decker. Hopefully, he can stretch the field. I haven't looked up the stats, but I imagine that he hasn't seen too many balls the past few years with Tom Haley's insistence on running the football.

Also, I like how his agent has already started ******* the Chefs.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-16-2014, 11:06 AM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 1h

#Broncos source says Broncos had no knowledge Emmanuel Sanders' first reached agreement of terms with KC Chiefs, per http://NFL.com

Northman
03-16-2014, 11:08 AM
Sure they didnt..... lmao

Denver Native (Carol)
03-16-2014, 11:08 AM
Emmanuel Sanders is arriving at the Broncos' Dove Valley headquarters Sunday morning to take a physical exam.

If all goes well, the team will sign the former Pittsburgh Steelers receiver to a three-year contract, according to an NFL source.

According to NFL.com, Sanders' agent, Peter Weinberg, is accused of reaching an agreement with the Kansas City Chiefs, then shopping around that agreed-to offer. Sanders also reportedly had visited with Jacksonville and Tampa Bay and was scheduled to visit Saturday night with San Francisco when an agreement with the Broncos was consummated.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25355128/emmanuel-sanders-take-physical-exam-sunday-at-dove

Northman
03-16-2014, 11:13 AM
https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/1982030_1404467179816825_1431543423_n.jpg

Buff
03-16-2014, 11:47 AM
This guy's agent sounds like he's doing a heck of a job as a market maker. Nothing but sour grapes out of KC.

Foochacho
03-16-2014, 12:14 PM
Wonder if chiefs stopped shopping when he agreed. Maybe they feel like they missed out on giving lafell a real offer. Otherwise why so pissed? If he left your facility without signing you never had anything to begin with. If verbal agreements worked in the nfl, dumervil would still be a bronco. This is nothing compared to that fiasco.

BroncoWave
03-16-2014, 12:20 PM
This guy's agent sounds like he's doing a heck of a job as a market maker. Nothing but sour grapes out of KC.

The fact that this deal makes the Chiefs so butthurt makes me love it that much more. Bravo, Elway. Bravo.

Tned
03-16-2014, 12:21 PM
It's official.

BRONCOS AGREE TO TERMS WITH UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENT
WR EMMANUEL SANDERS ON A THREE-YEAR CONTRACT

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The Denver Broncos on Sunday agreed to terms with unrestricted free agent wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders on a three-year contract, pending a physical, Executive Vice President of Football Operations/General Manager John Elway announced.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forum Runner

smith49
03-16-2014, 12:25 PM
Looks like 3 years $15 mil

Don't know any details other than that.......per bleacher report

VonDoom
03-16-2014, 12:29 PM
Looks like 3 years $15 mil

Don't know any details other than that.......per bleacher report

Yeah, I saw those numbers. I wonder how much is guaranteed

Denver Native (Carol)
03-16-2014, 12:31 PM
Emmanuel Sanders arrived at the Broncos' Dove Valley headquarters Sunday morning to take a physical exam. Soon after that, the team agreed to sign the former Pittsburgh Steelers receiver to a three-year contract, according to an NFL source.

Sanders' deal will total $15 million over three years.

AND

With the Broncos, Sanders will replace Eric Decker and slide between No. 1 receiver Demaryius Thomas and slot receiver Wes Welker in Peyton Manning's passing system.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25355128/emmanuel-sanders-broncos-new-deal

smith49
03-16-2014, 12:39 PM

I haven't seen any details as of yet. Carol will probly find details soon enough and post em..........right Carol??!!

OB
03-16-2014, 12:43 PM
Carol's da man :salute:

VonDoom
03-16-2014, 12:43 PM

I haven't seen any details as of yet. Carol will probly find details soon enough and post em..........right Carol??!!

Nearest I can find is 6 mil guaranteed, but nothing confirms that yet. Nice and cheap, if true

smith49
03-16-2014, 12:47 PM
Nearest I can find is 6 mil guaranteed, but nothing confirms that yet. Nice and cheap, if true

Oh, nice. Sounds like our front office is doing a nice job of structuring these deals.

BroncoWave
03-16-2014, 12:47 PM
Some tweets from Vic:

The fact Sanders is being introduced by Elway on a Sunday news conference tells you what they think of him. He was #1 on their FA WR list.

Most people in the NFL thought Sanders would command $7-8 per year. Broncos never considered him a real option. They're elated.

Simple Jaded
03-16-2014, 01:09 PM
The Manning passing camp at Duke just got a little awkward.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-16-2014, 01:13 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 1h

And there you go RT @BroncosTV: Emmanuel Sanders will meet the press at DV at 1:30 today, I will stream the presser live.

OrangeHoof
03-16-2014, 01:50 PM
If it's $15 mil for 3 yrs that averages to $5 mil/yr and let's say it is prorated at 4-5-6, then we are paying for roughly 90% of Eric Decker at 50% of the cost of re-signing him. That's how you run an operation in the salcap era. We got 90% of DR-C at less than what we would be paying for DR-C with Champ's piece of the payroll. Examine some of these free agency moves in that manner and they will make more sense.

NightTerror218
03-16-2014, 02:01 PM
I think decker is the better block can Sanders block and let DT run 50 yards for a TD on a screen?

Denver Native (Carol)
03-16-2014, 02:05 PM
Patrick Smyth ‏@psmyth12 22m

According to @PFF, Emmanuel Sanders forced 15 missed tackles in 2013, more than all but 3 NFL WRs.

Patrick Smyth ‏@psmyth12 35m

Earlier this week, Mike Martz of @nflnetwork called Emmanuel Sanders No. 1 WR in free agency. Broncos coaches thrilled to add him.

turftoad
03-16-2014, 02:50 PM
I wonder if DT is gonna give him the #88 jersey. Not.

Dapper Dan
03-16-2014, 02:52 PM
I think decker is the better block can Sanders block and let DT run 50 yards for a TD on a screen?

I think we're going to see a few plays where Sanders will be running the 50 yd TD while DT is blocking.

dogfish
03-16-2014, 02:55 PM

no. . . you can't have everything!

Dapper Dan
03-16-2014, 02:57 PM
no. . . you can't have everything!

Mitch Hedberg
http://www.cc.com/video-clips/a963eb/comedy-central-presents-being-a-comedian-in-hollywood

luckyseven
03-16-2014, 03:17 PM

win win

bcbronc
03-16-2014, 03:41 PM
Nice addition. Sanders is a legit top 3 wr on pretty much any team in the league. Now draft one in round 3 or 4 and we're set at WR for the short,medium and long term.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-16-2014, 03:53 PM
Sanders can made an additional $3 million over the length of the contract with incentives.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25355128/emmanuel-sanders-broncos-new-deal

Denver Native (Carol)
03-16-2014, 04:09 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 13m

Don't overlook Sanders' role in the return game. Another big reason the Broncos were high on him.

topscribe
03-16-2014, 04:11 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25355128/emmanuel-sanders-broncos-new-deal
Incentive-based. I like that.

Lancane
03-16-2014, 04:21 PM
I love the Ward signing, I like the Ware signing and understand the Talib signing, but this signing is what puts Denver's free agency over the top for me. Sanders is explosive and quick, he can spread the field, he can play in various roles which with Manning could make him a huge playmaker and he helps with the loss of Holliday atop of the loss of Decker, I had Denver taking a similar wide receiver in my mock in the second round, Sanders has been under utilized, he's young and can still develop further - Manning will help in that aspect. The other win-win for me though is that the Broncos locked him up for three years, with Demaryius Thomas, Wes Welker and Julius Thomas all slated to be free agents after the season, Denver will still have some capability without having to dish out more to sustain the position in one off-season.

luckyseven
03-16-2014, 05:59 PM
I love the Ward signing, I like the Ware signing and understand the Talib signing, but this signing is what puts Denver's free agency over the top for me. Sanders is explosive and quick, he can spread the field, he can play in various roles which with Manning could make him a huge playmaker and he helps with the loss of Holliday atop of the loss of Decker, I had Denver taking a similar wide receiver in my mock in the second round, Sanders has been under utilized, he's young and can still develop further - Manning will help in that aspect. The other win-win for me though is that the Broncos locked him up for three years, with Demaryius Thomas, Wes Welker and Julius Thomas all slated to be free agents after the season, Denver will still have some capability without having to dish out more to sustain the position in one off-season.

I see all of your thoughts as being spot on. yet quite a few posters pissing and moaning about this guy, WHY?

topscribe
03-16-2014, 06:02 PM
I see all of your thoughts as being spot on. yet quite a few posters pissing and moaning about this guy, WHY?
Have you noticed that Elway has been criticized for his moves ever since taking
a job with the Broncos? And all he has done is to produce a juggernaut in Denver.

luckyseven
03-16-2014, 06:17 PM
Have you noticed that Elway has been criticized for his moves ever since taking
a job with the Broncos? And all he has done is to produce a juggernaut in Denver.

I have to guess most that are upset are the ones that invested themselves in there favorite guys.

then John take someone else and the pissing starts.

Edmonton Bronco Fan (2)
03-16-2014, 07:00 PM
At least the contract is incentive based? I really don't like Emmanuel at all. The guy has concentration problems and always gets a case of the drops when a play is really needed. He better not bring that primadonna Cash Money Crew BS over here.

Oh, I see base value is 15M, 18M with incentives. Don't like this at all. Sanders can split with slot and outside too it's just that he's not reliable or a game breaker in the slightest... massive downgrade over Decker.

And 6M guaranteed nonetheless... wow.

OrangeHoof
03-16-2014, 08:08 PM
What will matter to Manning (who obviously had some input) is whether Sanders can run patterns and be where he is supposed to be when Peyton launches. All he has to do after that is catch it and run. I suspect we will see some plays where DT does the underneath crossing and Sanders goes deep taking the other team's 2nd or 3rd best CB with him. Money.

TXBRONC
03-16-2014, 08:35 PM
Yea, i think he will be solid enough but if people were annoyed by Decker's dropsies from time to time they better get ready for some more because Sanders has a tendency to have the same issue (if you want to call it that).

Yep.

TXBRONC
03-16-2014, 08:40 PM
I wonder if DT is gonna give him the #88 jersey. Not.

#87 is free.

Ziggy
03-16-2014, 08:44 PM
Elway loves Sanders. He said that he was their #1 free agent WR. When they asked him if he was going to be used as a returner, he said that you hate to use a guy that is that valuable for that, but they don't really have anyone else on the roster to do it right now. Don't be surprised to see the Broncos draft a WR or CB for depth that can return kicks as well.

Simple Jaded
03-16-2014, 08:51 PM
At least the contract is incentive based? I really don't like Emmanuel at all. The guy has concentration problems and always gets a case of the drops when a play is really needed. He better not bring that primadonna Cash Money Crew BS over here.

Oh, I see base value is 15M, 18M with incentives. Don't like this at all. Sanders can split with slot and outside too it's just that he's not reliable or a game breaker in the slightest... massive downgrade over Decker.

And 6M guaranteed nonetheless... wow.

It's almost as if you and I are watching two different Emmanuel Sanders, Wallace, Sanders and Brown were big play makers in Arians offense. You sure you're not thinking of Cotchery?

Ziggy
03-16-2014, 08:58 PM
It's almost as if you and I are watching two different Emmanuel Sanders, Wallace, Sanders and Brown were big play makers in Arians offense. You sure you're not thinking of Cotchery?

Sanders only has 19 starts. He's getting ready to hit his prime. I can't wait to see what this guy does in our offense. I'ts going to be fun watching him take that WR screen and go 90 yards for the TD.

topscribe
03-16-2014, 09:02 PM
Sanders only has 19 starts. He's getting ready to hit his prime. I can't wait to see what this guy does in our offense. I'ts going to be fun watching him take that WR screen and go 90 yards for the TD.
TD and ES. Deep speed on both sides, both who can score from anywhere on the field.

More than we could ask for . . .

DenBronx
03-16-2014, 09:29 PM
This signing is really growing on me.

#1 Sanders is extremly versatile. He plays outside or slot
#2 His versatility also is in his return abilities
#3 He makes defenders miss
#4 He has speed
#5 Seems like a bright inteligent young man with alot of character
#6 He hasnt had a ton of starts and was the #3 guy until Wallace left
#7 Told KC to shove their deal up their ass
#8 Said Denver was the place he wanted to come to most
#9 15 mill for 3 years is a great deal for a guy who could potentially put up huge numbers
#10 He is still young

Too much to list really on this guy. This might end up being one of our best FA pick ups this year and I could see him matching what Decker did last year.

Dapper Dan
03-16-2014, 09:48 PM
Elway is a genius. He knows what he's doing. It's going to take a lot to convince me otherwise.

Dzone
03-16-2014, 10:53 PM
Another in the long line of players named Sanders who were great. Bob, Deion, Barry, etc I hope this guy lives up to the name

Simple Jaded
03-16-2014, 11:02 PM
Another in the long line of players named Sanders who were great. Bob, Deion, Barry, etc I hope this guy lives up to the name

Colonel Sanders.

tomjonesrocks
03-16-2014, 11:09 PM
Elway is a genius. He knows what he's doing. It's going to take a lot to convince me otherwise.

I don't know about that--but I do think it's great he's at the controls. Ultra competitive, cold blooded as they come. GM is a hard ******* job, and you need a guy willing to take huge risks and do anything possible to win. BB's not worrying about hurt feelings.

Can guarantee Goodell loves this Elway vs BB development. Still feel a bit bad about Decker, Woodyard, and Moreno though. If you're not in Elway's future plans, you'll get quite the unceremonious exit. Elway isn't cuddly.

NightTerror218
03-16-2014, 11:26 PM
Rather see sanders returner then Welker....just saying

FanInAZ
03-17-2014, 05:05 AM
Chiefs could file a grievance against Sanders, agent

If the Chiefs are, as they seem to be, upset by the alleged failure of agent Steve Weinberg to honor an agreement in principle for receiver Emmanuel Sanders, the Chiefs can do something other than complain about it.

The argument would be that Weinberg failed to engage in good faith negotiations by conducting talks with the Chiefs despite having no intention to finalize the discussions.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/16/chiefs-could-file-a-grievance-against-sanders-agent/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

This reminds me way back when Montana came to Phoenix after the 49ers cut him so he could be courted by the Cards. There were even reports that he & his wife even contacted a realtor to shop for house. After all of this, he signed with another team. Which team was that again...let me think...its on the top of my head... That's right, it was the Chiefs that signed him after he spent so much effort to pretend he was interest in Phoenix. The Cards fans felt back then how the Chiefs fans feel now.

TXBRONC
03-17-2014, 07:01 AM
This reminds me way back when Montana came to Phoenix after the 49ers cut him so he could be courted by the Cards. There were even reports that he & his wife even contacted a realtor to shop for house. After all of this, he signed with another team. Which team was that again...let me think...its on the top of my head... That's right, it was the Chiefs that signed him after he spent so much effort to pretend he was interest in Phoenix. The Cards fans felt back then how the Chiefs fans feel now.

Sucks to be in the Chiefs front office.

Lancane
03-17-2014, 08:13 AM
Sucks to be in the Chiefs front office.

What really sucks is that they're being so petty when this happens a couple times each year in the off-season, until the deal is done and signed then there is no foul.

CoachChaz
03-17-2014, 08:14 AM
What really sucks is that they're being so petty when this happens a couple times each year in the off-season, until the deal is done and signed then there is no foul.

No, but there are certain ethics involved and the NFL isnt too fond of unethical agents.

DenBronx
03-17-2014, 08:19 AM
Ried the Kool Aid Man and the KC Chiefs are not even going to be as good next year. The AFCW just needs to enjoy watching us win again.

Lancane
03-17-2014, 08:32 AM
No, but there are certain ethics involved and the NFL isnt too fond of unethical agents.

True, but this isn't similar to Dumervil's agent and the storm he caused, this is literally a player who wanted to come to Denver more then anywhere else, his agent talked with teams and nearly has a deal in place when the team his client wants to go to actually calls? I'd expect my agent to do as I wanted as well. As one Chiefs' fan pointed out on another board, if it was a done deal then why did he not have a contract to sign? Denver had each player they signed in the building within less then a day inking their deals?

TXBRONC
03-17-2014, 08:52 AM

Chaz I don't know if there is a heck of lot difference between this (Sanders situation) and a front office putting an offer on the table and then pulling it off the table.

CoachChaz
03-17-2014, 09:13 AM
Chaz I don't know if there is a heck of lot difference between this (Sanders situation) and front office putting an offer on the table and then pulling it off the table.

I think there is a difference between making an offer and accepting an offer. A team can make an offer and a player does not have to accept it. If a player misses out because of that...it's on them. However, if a player or agent agrees in principle to an offer...that's a different ball game.

None of know all of the details of what happened in this scenario, but I have a hard time believing KC or any other team would be this vocal about it if it didnt happen.

Lancane
03-17-2014, 09:25 AM
None of know all of the details of what happened in this scenario, but I have a hard time believing KC or any other team would be this vocal about it if it didnt happen.

Well, I'm not so sure about that. We've seen pettiness and front office immaturity from Reid's teams before. It's hard to imagine a coaching staff giving bonus incentives to take players out like New Orleans did. Pete Carroll was all civil till the Super Bowl was over and like his juice riddled squad began running their mouths afterwards. I could go on about ethical situations in and around the league. Look at Bill Belichick after the playoffs and his conspiratorial comments. I don't believe it's beneath anyone, especially a rival who would love nothing more then to cause a scandalous issue or place the blame on another's doorstep.

CoachChaz
03-17-2014, 09:28 AM
I think trash talking and accusations of dirty play are leaps and bounds different from business ethics. But I guess that's just me. I agree that leading a team to believe you are going to do something in order to garner more interest from another team is a practice that is used...all I'm saying is that it's a shitty one.

Not that anyone will admit it, but I'd be willing to bet that if this happened in reverse and Denver was on the losing end, most homers would have a different opinion about this.

Lancane
03-17-2014, 09:53 AM
I think trash talking and accusations of dirty play are leaps and bounds different from business ethics. But I guess that's just me. I agree that leading a team to believe you are going to do something in order to garner more interest from another team is a practice that is used...all I'm saying is that it's a shitty one.

Not that anyone will admit it, but I'd be willing to bet that if this happened in reverse and Denver was on the losing end, most homers would have a different opinion about this.

Coach, I believe you have a deep seated belief in the quality of man's nature. The one thing I've learned most in life is that mankind is flawed, the very nature of our existence is a battle between what we see as right or see as wrong based on the society in which we are raised and the quality of upbringing we endured. I've seen the best of humanity and the worst, and that applies to every member of the species. Coaches, General Managers and Players as well, we demand more of them - this is true, but at the end of the day they are still human, to believe that they can not be petty, childish, mean, etc. is usually due to such beliefs, and yet we see it more and more. Have we not seen pettiness and porous accusations before in the league? Don't get me wrong, neither you or I have inside information and insight to really measure the situation beyond what we currently are privy to. And I don't find the practice itself all that bad nor do I care that the principle arraignment of an agreement has been configured between a player's agent and a team, I believe the final say so should rest on the player himself. As to whether or not trying to eliminate key offensive players for a bonus check or trying to cause a stir against a team that beat you in the playoffs and do everything but beg for the league's involvement and not petty? I think others beg to differ. After hearing that a kicker at Northern Colorado University planned out and stabbed another kicker who beat him out in order to get the spot, well I full well believe that even those involved in the sport I love can fall to the wayside in decency.

I might be upset and I might not, but you made a fair point.

chazoe60
03-17-2014, 10:00 AM
:laugh::laugh: suck it Chiefs. Losers :laugh::laugh:

CoachChaz
03-17-2014, 10:00 AM
At the end of the day, I understand that free agency and contract negotiations dont come with an ethics manual. And I'm pretty stoked that Sanders landed in our laps when all said and done. But regardless of all that, I still think Weinberg is a shady agent and it's hard to give him the benefit of the doubt in this scenario considering his past is littered with stuff like this

TXBRONC
03-17-2014, 10:03 AM
I think there is a difference between making an offer and accepting an offer. A team can make an offer and a player does not have to accept it. If a player misses out because of that...it's on them. However, if a player or agent agrees in principle to an offer...that's a different ball game.

Dumervil had a signed agreement and the Broncos under Elway's leadership chose to tear up that contract. Teams get away with that shit all the time but that's no unethical?

Buff
03-17-2014, 10:05 AM
At the end of the day, I understand that free agency and contract negotiations dont come with an ethics manual. And I'm pretty stoked that Sanders landed in our laps when all said and done. But regardless of all that, I still think Weinberg is a shady agent and it's hard to give him the benefit of the doubt in this scenario considering his past is littered with stuff like this

My take is that he violated some bullshit unenforceable unwritten old school code. Which happens all the time with tampering and other shady tactics used by teams and agents. Double standards abound in this league - granted maybe if we were KC we'd feel differently - but it's hard for me to get mad at a player or agent for trying to do everything within their power to maximize the $$ knowing the teams will dick them out of it the first opportunity they get.

CoachChaz
03-17-2014, 10:06 AM
Dumervil had a signed agreement and the Broncos under Elway's leadership chose to tear up that contract. Teams get away with that shit all the time but that's no unethical?

Doom signed a contract that guaranteed he would get a certain amount of money. He got that money and then more guaranteed money when he went to Baltimore. You think he lost out on that deal?

I guess I dont understand how it's unethical to make a guarantee and then follow through with it.

CoachChaz
03-17-2014, 10:09 AM
My take is that he violated some bullshit unenforceable unwritten old school code. Which happens all the time with tampering and other shady tactics used by teams and agents. Double standards abound in this league - granted maybe if we were KC we'd feel differently - but it's hard for me to get mad at a player or agent for trying to do everything within their power to maximize the $$ knowing the teams will dick them out of it the first opportunity they get.

I agree to a point. But you lose me when you want me to feel sorry for players that get "dicked out" of a contract that they know comes with guarantees. I dont think players give a shit about the length and total value of a contract. They are looking at the guaranteed money and that's about it. They know what they are getting into.

Buff
03-17-2014, 10:10 AM
I agree to a point. But you lose me when you want me to feel sorry for players that get "dicked out" of a contract that they know comes with guarantees. I dont think players give a shit about the length and total value of a contract. They are looking at the guaranteed money and that's about it. They know what they are getting into.

I guess I just meant that it's ridiculous that these teams expect some sort of loyalty when they will never ever return the favor. It's either written and binding or it's not. KC can get ******.

TXBRONC
03-17-2014, 10:13 AM
Doom signed a contract that guaranteed he would get a certain amount of money. He got that money and then more guaranteed money when he went to Baltimore. You think he lost out on that deal?

I guess I dont understand how it's unethical to make a guarantee and then follow through with it.

He was still under contract Chaz when Denver chose to break the agreement. That's not ethical.

CoachChaz
03-17-2014, 10:14 AM
I guess I just meant that it's ridiculous that these teams expect some sort of loyalty when they will never ever return the favor. It's either written and binding or it's not. KC can get ******.

I dont think the issue is between the team and the player...it's the agent that was apparently a douche.

CoachChaz
03-17-2014, 10:15 AM
He was still under contract Chaz when Denver chose to break the agreement. That's not ethical.

Because contracts in the NFL are NOT guaranteed. Only a certain amount of money is. What the hell is so hard to understand about that?

Buff
03-17-2014, 10:15 AM
I dont think the issue is between the team and the player...it's the agent that was apparently a douche.

I don't blame him for his unscrupulous tactics. This is a cutthroat league.

TXBRONC
03-17-2014, 10:23 AM
Because contracts in the NFL are NOT guaranteed. Only a certain amount of money is. What the hell is so hard to understand about that?

Denver hadn't paid Dumervil all of his guaranteed money by the time iirc because he was what two or three years into that contract. Just because the NFL is immune to anti-trust laws doesn't make anymore ethical to break an agreement.

OB
03-17-2014, 10:28 AM

Elway is a God - End off Story!! :D

CoachChaz
03-17-2014, 10:37 AM
I don't blame him for his unscrupulous tactics. This is a cutthroat league.

And every tactic the teams can employ is AGREED upon by the players association. If the players and agents dont like it...then they need to let their reps know they want to vote a different way when the next CBA comes about. Until then...this is what they agreed to.

CoachChaz
03-17-2014, 10:38 AM
Denver hadn't paid Dumervil all of his guaranteed money by the time iirc because he was what two or three years into that contract. Just because the NFL is immune to anti-trust laws doesn't make anymore ethical to break an agreement.

Doom gets his guaranteed money regardless. We could cut Talib today and we'd still have to pay him 26 million. Only difference is we'd have to pay it all NOW. You seriously dont remember the cap hit we took last year in the Doom situation?

Dapper Dan
03-17-2014, 10:40 AM

That explains why he sent Tebow to New York to die.

turftoad
03-17-2014, 10:45 AM
That explains why he sent Tebow to New York to die.

Tebow chose NY all by his lonesome.

Dapper Dan
03-17-2014, 10:51 AM

Blasphemy!

DenBronx
03-17-2014, 11:12 AM

Damn right he is.

I am actually shocked how well he has done since he came here and expected a slow process. Not the case, he came out swinging wildly and has been nothing short of aggressive in all the moves he has made. Its in his bloodline with his father who actually used to scout players so the apple doesnt fall far from the tree. Not only was Elway one of the best as a player but he is looking like a genius as a GM/VP. Whenever he gets a chance to interview on his moves you can see a light in his eye like he is hungry for a championship. Really I can't say enough good things about him.

His real test is going to come after Manning retires but something tells me we will still be in good hands and Elways values a franchise QB more than anything. He wants the Broncos to be kings of the AFC and I tip my hat to him for that. It's like he has made it his #1 priority to take NE down and we havent really seen that in a long time.

DenBronx
03-17-2014, 11:15 AM

I really dont understand why he didnt get a legit shot on some of these teams like the Browns, Jags or even Raiders. He would be much much better than what they have had and he would probably help them win at least 3 more games that what they are used to. When I look at the draft and the FA market for QBs I am not impressed at all.

DenBronx
03-17-2014, 11:16 AM

Not God but he deffinitely has Gods favor. :)

Dapper Dan
03-17-2014, 11:25 AM
Not God but he deffinitely has Gods favor. :)

I can see Elway doing some sort of sacrifice every morning to please the gods.

OB
03-17-2014, 12:15 PM
So is it true - I have heard rumors that Denver could possibly get in some kind of trouble with the league for this signing because of the whole Chiefs deal? Is that possible?

CoachChaz
03-17-2014, 12:24 PM
So is it true - I have heard rumors that Denver could possibly get in some kind of trouble with the league for this signing because of the whole Chiefs deal? Is that possible?

I doubt it. Denver didnt do anything shady as far as I can tell. Mostly just the agent

Buff
03-17-2014, 12:33 PM

No. He wasn't under contract with anyone and the free agency period was open, so we can't get in trouble for tampering.

tubby
03-17-2014, 12:40 PM
Hey Buff why don't you break down his contract for us. Seems like simple FA math.

TXBRONC
03-17-2014, 04:02 PM

He's a Mormon DB so he doesn't do stuff like that.

luckyseven
03-17-2014, 04:44 PM
Damn right he is.

I am actually shocked how well he has done since he came here and expected a slow process. Not the case, he came out swinging wildly and has been nothing short of aggressive in all the moves he has made. Its in his bloodline with his father who actually used to scout players so the apple doesnt fall far from the tree. Not only was Elway one of the best as a player but he is looking like a genius as a GM/VP. Whenever he gets a chance to interview on his moves you can see a light in his eye like he is hungry for a championship. Really I can't say enough good things about him.

His real test is going to come after Manning retires but something tells me we will still be in good hands and Elways values a franchise QB more than anything. He wants the Broncos to be kings of the AFC and I tip my hat to him for that. It's like he has made it his #1 priority to take NE down and we havent really seen that in a long time.

most folks forget that John graduated from Stanford and IIRC a business degree. he parlayed a 7 million dollar contract into an automotive empire and then ran the Denver crush IIRC.

this is no fool, he has surrounded himself with some of the top front office guys, including top scouting departments in the business and some top Coaches and trainers.

why anyone doubted his success is beyond me he has never failed

Dapper Dan
03-17-2014, 04:52 PM
He a Mormon DB so he doesn't stuff like that.

Whaaa? John Elway is a Mormon?

TXBRONC
03-18-2014, 06:44 AM
Actually I don't know.

Runamok
03-18-2014, 07:27 AM
Whaaa? John Elway is a Mormon?

Yes, he is.

Dapper Dan
03-18-2014, 11:40 AM
I can't find anything online that's reliable enough. It would be awesome if he is.

Buff
03-18-2014, 11:48 AM
I can't find anything online that's reliable enough. It would be awesome if he is.

:uh:

Simple Jaded
03-18-2014, 11:49 AM
I didn't know Mormons were allowed to drink like a fish.

Dapper Dan
03-18-2014, 11:52 AM
I didn't know Mormons were allowed to drink like a fish.

John Elway drinks?

Oh, I know he dips. He's not actually suppose to do that.

Simple Jaded
03-18-2014, 11:53 AM
I really dont understand why he didnt get a legit shot on some of these teams like the Browns, Jags or even Raiders. He would be much much better than what they have had and he would probably help them win at least 3 more games that what they are used to. When I look at the draft and the FA market for QBs I am not impressed at all.

Inexplicable that the worst passer can't find a job at the ultimate level playing a position that requires him to pass? I know, right?

Simple Jaded
03-18-2014, 11:55 AM
John Elway drinks?

Oh, I know he dips. He's not actually suppose to do that.

Like a fish.

Dapper Dan
03-18-2014, 11:58 AM
Like a fish.

I need to talk to him about this. You got his number?

Simple Jaded
03-18-2014, 12:08 PM
I need to talk to him about this. You got his number?

I'll have his people contact your people, he's weird about his personal number.

Simple Jaded
03-18-2014, 12:19 PM
Doom gets his guaranteed money regardless. We could cut Talib today and we'd still have to pay him 26 million. Only difference is we'd have to pay it all NOW. You seriously dont remember the cap hit we took last year in the Doom situation?

I think a lot of the $26 mil guarantees are against injury, a huge portion is this years salary, it's possible Talib never sees a lot of that guaranteed money.

VonDoom
03-18-2014, 12:24 PM
I think a lot of the $26 mil guarantees are against injury, a huge portion is this years salary, it's possible Talib never sees a lot of that guaranteed money.

Correct. Since I was already on OvertheCap while looking at another thread, I'll post exactly what they have on Talib's deal:

CB Aqib Talib signed a six year, $57 million contract with the Denver Broncos on March 12, 2014. Talib received $11.5 million in fully guaranteed salary. The full guarantee is made up of a $5 million signing bonus, $2 million 2014 roster bonus, and $4.5 million 2014 base salary. His 2015 and 2016 base salaries are both guaranteed for injury only and will become fully guaranteed if he is on the roster on the 3rd day of that respective league year

DenBronx
03-18-2014, 12:31 PM

Well he did already sacrifice a virgin. Tim Tebow. Lol

DenBronx
03-18-2014, 12:34 PM
Here are the details from ESPN on the Sanders deal:

WR Emmanuel Sanders

Sanders called being in the offense with Manning "wide receiver heaven." His deal is for $15 million, but could go to $18 million if his performance kicks in $3 million worth of escalators.

The Broncos, watching their cash flow after the initial surge of free agency, will pay Sanders a $3 million bonus next March instead of now. Because of that, Sanders' cap hit this season is $4 million.

Or as John Elway put it after Sanders' signing: "We had a bunch of cap space going into this year. ... We had plenty of cap space. That's why the misnomer of us winning now. Sure, we want to win now, but we also want to set ourselves up. ... There’s no question we’re trying to win this year, but we’re also trying get good base for a good football team for a long time."

That orange part I think was the key of the whole deal.

Ravage!!!
03-18-2014, 04:14 PM

I read that if we cut Talib, we only owe him 4 million next year.

Jsteve01
03-18-2014, 04:22 PM
cap space? I give you Mike Sullivan

TXBRONC
03-18-2014, 08:02 PM

Den he can't read coverages and he can throw the ball with any kind of accuracy so even teams that are dumpster fires on trains wrecks don't want him.

MOtorboat
03-18-2014, 08:15 PM
After several days of thought, I continue to be "meh" on this signing.

Buff
03-18-2014, 09:18 PM

He provides depth, youth, experience, speed and didn't cost us a draft pick. What don't you like about it?

MOtorboat
03-18-2014, 09:19 PM
He provides depth, youth, experience, speed and didn't cost us a draft pick. What don't you like about it?

It's not that I don't like it, I'm just kind of "meh." Maybe I'm underestimating the kick return possibilities.

Buff
03-18-2014, 09:21 PM
It's not that I don't like it, I'm just kind of "meh." Maybe I'm underestimating the kick return possibilities.

You have been spoiled by John Elway. We can't sign everybody.

tubby
03-18-2014, 09:23 PM
Meh sums it up perfectly. I had to look they guy up, I guess he is fast. Sounded like he was slurring in his meet the Denver press moment. It wasn't Jamal Charles bad but still....

SMU guy, maybe he has leadership skills.

Buff
03-18-2014, 09:25 PM
Meh sums it up perfectly. I had to look they guy up, I guess he is fast. Sounded like he was slurring in his meet the Denver press moment. It wasn't Jamal Charles bad but still....

SMU guy, maybe he has leadership skills.

We need a guy who can catch balls and run fast, which he can do, not a Rhodes scholar.

tubby
03-18-2014, 09:26 PM
We need a guy who can catch balls and run fast, not a Rhodes scholar.

That's fair. Look at Golden Tate, he blows.

MOtorboat
03-18-2014, 09:26 PM
You have been spoiled by John Elway. We can't sign everybody.

I just look at what he did in Pittsburgh with a decent quarterback (not the place, but I personally think Roethlisberger is amongst the top 6 or 7 QBs currently), and he was just so, so...

MOtorboat
03-18-2014, 09:27 PM
We need a guy who can catch balls and run fast, which he can do, not a Rhodes scholar.

Except...he drops a shit ton. He was targeted like 120 times and caught 60-some.

tubby
03-18-2014, 09:28 PM
Except...he drops a shit ton. He was targeted like 120 times and caught 60-some.

Actually his drops were extremely low.

Dapper Dan
03-18-2014, 09:31 PM

Compare that with others. It's better than Steve Smith, Dez Bryant, and many others.

http://www.kffl.com/fantasy-football/targets/index.php

MOtorboat
03-18-2014, 09:33 PM

I must be mis-informed on that. That's a lot of targets.

Dapper Dan
03-18-2014, 09:35 PM
http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2013/

Sanders has a lower drop percentage than Shady McCoy, Matt Forte, Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, AJ. Green, Dwayne Bowe, Anquan Boldin, and many others.

MOtorboat
03-18-2014, 09:37 PM

Sanders has a lower drop percentage than Shady McCoy, Matt Forte, Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, AJ. Green, Dwayne Bowe, Anquan Boldin, and many others.

I see that now...that's what I get for not looking up the numbers myself and believing other posters.

chazoe60
03-18-2014, 09:40 PM
I see that now...that's what I get for not looking up the numbers myself and believing other posters.

You were listening to North again weren't you?

MOtorboat
03-18-2014, 09:41 PM
You were listening to North again weren't you?

Don't remember who it was now. It was right after the signing.

luckyseven
03-18-2014, 10:18 PM
I must be mis-informed on that. That's a lot of targets.

not all targets are catchable.

the WR may be in the vicinity of the ball, but might be under thrown, or in a speed guy over thrown trying to loosen up the defense.

better to judge by is drops. as you know that is when they have there hands on it.

Player Pos Team Receptions Drops Targets Targets % Drop %
Emmanuel S WR Pit 67 3 112 59.8 % 2.7%
Andre Caldwell WR Den 16 1 29 55.2 % 3.5%
Eric Decker WR Den 87 7 136 64.0 % 5.1%
Demaryius T WR Den 92 8 142 64.8 % 5.6%
Wes Welker WR Den 73 10 111 65.8 % 9.0%

http://www.sportingcharts.com/NFL/stats/drops/2013/
looks pretty good to me.

MOtorboat
03-18-2014, 10:24 PM
not all targets are catchable.

the WR may be in the vicinity of the ball, but might be under thrown, or in a speed guy over thrown trying to loosen up the defense.

better to judge by is drops. as you know that is when they have there hands on it.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/NFL/stats/drops/2013/
looks pretty good to me.

First of all, no shit? I'm not an idiot and I know what a drop is, and admitted to my mistake.

While those numbers do look good, drops are not official and they are completely subjective.

DenBronx
03-18-2014, 10:27 PM

Ouch! Yeah that isnt eye popping numbers.

I am not meh on the Sanders deal but I can understand why you are. My first choice out of all the Broncos I wanted to keep was Decker, even with the deal he got from the Jets was fine with me. Was less than what many fans here even expected. But if losing him meant getting Talib, Ware, Ward and Sanders then so be it.

Ben is a very good QB but I think that team has so many issues going wrong at the moment that Sanders wasnt going to do as well as he could have.

Caldwells growing into this offense, Sanders may suprise us and we still might draft a WR too. Really everyone is going to be fighting for that #2 spot but hopefully Sanders doesnt dissapoint.

luckyseven
03-18-2014, 10:28 PM
First of all, no shit? I'm not an idiot and I know what a drop is, and admitted to my mistake.

While those numbers do look good, drops are not official and they are completely subjective.

sorry I did not see that post, merely replied to the first one.

Yes drops are subjective, but then they are subjective for all of the WR's not just the guys listed.

I heard there is movement afoot to make this and others as an official stat.

Sorry you took it wrong it was not meant as such.

DenBronx
03-18-2014, 10:32 PM

Compare that with others. It's better than Steve Smith, Dez Bryant, and many others.

http://www.kffl.com/fantasy-football/targets/index.php

Ok so looks pretty good to me then.

He will be fine.

luckyseven
03-18-2014, 10:32 PM
Ouch! Yeah that isnt eye popping numbers.

I am not meh on the Sanders deal but I can understand why you are. My first choice out of all the Broncos I wanted to keep was Decker, even with the deal he got from the Jets was fine with me. Was less than what many fans here even expected. But if losing him meant getting Talib, Ware, Ward and Sanders then so be it.

Ben is a very good QB but I think that team has so many issues going wrong at the moment that Sanders wasnt going to do as well as he could have.

Caldwells growing into this offense, Sanders may suprise us and we still might draft a WR too. Really everyone is going to be fighting for that #2 spot but hopefully Sanders doesnt dissapoint.

not sure if you saw this IF not

Player Pos Team Receptions Drops Targets Targets % Drop %
Emmanuel S WR Pit 67 3 112 59.8 % 2.7%
Andre Caldwell WR Den 16 1 29 55.2 % 3.5%
Eric Decker WR Den 87 7 136 64.0 % 5.1%
Demaryius T WR Den 92 8 142 64.8 % 5.6%
Wes Welker WR Den 73 10 111 65.8 % 9.0%

looks like he will be the most sure handed guy on the team.

I always liked decker one of the few players I got a jersey for.

Was always having to explain his turf tripping when he did it to my friends. which was quite a few times.

DenBronx
03-18-2014, 10:33 PM
not sure if you saw this IF not

looks like he will be the most sure handed guy on the team.

I always liked decker one of the few players I got a jersey for.

Was always having to explain his turf tripping when he did it to my friends. which was quite a few times.

Yeah just finished reading the rest of the thread. I had only read what MO posted.

TXBRONC
03-18-2014, 10:49 PM

He can probably fill pretty much the same role Decker did.

Ravage!!!
03-20-2014, 10:45 AM
I like the signing. He's always been a pretty "decent" player. He's not top flight, but we knew we weren't getting a top flight WR to fill Decker's shoes. I would have loved to keep Decker and his size. Sanders provides true speed,and is a good enough route runner to give the opposite side of DT some help.

Ravage!!!
03-20-2014, 10:45 AM
He can probably fill pretty much the same role Decker did.

He's not a good as Decker, and isn't as big as Decker. Those thigns will be noticed.

topscribe
03-20-2014, 10:53 AM
He's not a good as Decker, and isn't as big as Decker. Those thigns will be noticed.
But his speed and quickness also will. Among Sanders, DT, Bubba, and JT, there
is going to be some deep speed to open up the field. That's a very fast group.

BroncoJoe
03-20-2014, 10:55 AM
Let's hope the term "speed kills" applies here.

Not a popular question, so save all the bashing: If he can get open deep, can Manning get the ball there? I honestly don't know.

TXBRONC
03-20-2014, 10:59 AM

I'm not sure he'll be as effective inside the redzone and little bubble screens where he'll have to fight for yardage but doesn't bring a little more speed and he also someone who can be used in the return game.

Buff
03-20-2014, 11:00 AM

Not a popular question, so save all the bashing: If he can get open deep, can Manning get the ball there? I honestly don't know.

It's more about what he can do after the catch... We know Manning can't air it out.

Ravage!!!
03-20-2014, 11:01 AM
I'm not sure he'll be as effective inside the redzone and little bubble screens where he'll have to fight for yardage but doesn't bring a little more speed and he also someone who can be used in the return game.

I think Elway has made the comment about the "risk" of using Sanders in the return game considering how importan he will be needed at the Z, and having a foot injury last season. I don't think we will see him being used a lot in the return game.

topscribe
03-20-2014, 11:06 AM
It's more about what he can do after the catch... We know Manning can't air it out.
Hmmm . . . I saw some Broncos QB doing it last year.

Have they been playing more than one QB?

Ravage!!!
03-20-2014, 11:08 AM

I think we've seen Manning have MORE than enough arm last year.

Buff
03-20-2014, 11:09 AM

The conditions have to be just perfect for us to execute a deep ball. They are floaters and timing patterns with below average accuracy at this stage. Throwing deep is not our bread and butter.

topscribe
03-20-2014, 11:15 AM
The conditions have to be just perfect for us to execute a deep ball. They are floaters and timing patterns with below average accuracy at this stage. Throwing deep is not our bread and butter.
But when the opportunity has been there, Peyton has put it on a dime more
often than not. Peyton may not have Flacco's rocket arm, but he's not Henne,
either. He takes his shots, and he's accurate. That is one reason why the dink
and dunk is so open so much. The defense knows Peyton WILL go over the top.
And now the Broncos have the speed all over the field to do it.

DenBronx
03-20-2014, 11:17 AM
Decker is the prototypical WR that has always played best in a Manning led offense. Decker created space with his size and natural ability and ran real crisp clean routes. He wasnt a sideline burner like Sanders but could be if the chance was there. I have seen Decker catch the deep ball many times.

IMO, we are going to feel the loss of Decker once the season starts. This will put alot more pressure on DT now and I don't see our offense being as potent. Which was our thing....we scored scored and scored some more.

So, yes Sanders is here to fill the role of Decker but I think we're going to see a little drop here production wise. Still like the Sanders signing though based on what was available.

DenBronx
03-20-2014, 11:19 AM
If a Sherman or Revis is on Sanders I really wouldnt even look his way. If it was Decker then id still throw to him because of his size and route running abilities. I think that's the biggest differance.

Ravage!!!
03-20-2014, 11:19 AM
The "DEEP" ball is rarely used and rarely completed, anyway. It's not about accuracy when throwing the DEEP ball, at all.....its about timing. You put the ball up and away from the defender/safety, and let the WR go TO the ball. However, if you hit the WR earlier and over the top of the CB, then you are talking more about accuracy and timing (as to when to throw)...and that is Manning's game. That also allows the WR to get yardage after the catch.

Mannning knows where the coverage dictates the 1-v-1 matchup, and hits that quickly. I ahve zero problems with our deep ball, considering how many deep plays we had last year, I don't see how its a problem at all. How many times was Decker running deep and free? What more do we need?

BroncoJoe
03-20-2014, 11:20 AM

Uh, I'm really not so sure how to respond to this. Mainly because it is the complete opposite of what has actually transpired.

TXBRONC
03-20-2014, 11:20 AM
I think Elway has made the comment about the "risk" of using Sanders in the return game considering how importan he will be needed at the Z, and having a foot injury last season. I don't think we will see him being used a lot in the return game.

At this point there isn't anyone else to do it. Also Decker was just as important and Denver ended using him as a punt returner.

Ravage!!!
03-20-2014, 11:24 AM
Decker is the prototypical WR that has always played best in a Manning led offense. Decker created space with his size and natural ability and ran real crisp clean routes. He wasnt a sideline burner like Sanders but could be if the chance was there. I have seen Decker catch the deep ball many times.

IMO, we are going to feel the loss of Decker once the season starts. This will put alot more pressure on DT now and I don't see our offense being as potent. Which was our thing....we scored scored and scored some more.

So, yes Sanders is here to fill the role of Decker but I think we're going to see a little drop here production wise. Still like the Sanders signing though based on what was available.

I see what you are saying, but a couple things.

EVERY WR benefits from Manning, not just Decker. Decker played well even with guys like Orton and Tebow.

Also, when coming off a season where we set NFL records, there would have been a drop-off if Decker would have stayed. You just can't expect tht kind of output year in and year out. So its going to be difficult to tell whether the drop-off was Decker or simply a drop off from having such an incredible season.

Sander's will create space with speed as opposed to creating space with size. Different approaches, but Mannign has worked with a LOT of WRs that didn't have size over the years. Speed works best against guys like Revis and Sherman, because the speed could be the balance against Sherman's physical play.

DenBronx
03-20-2014, 11:25 AM
At this point there isn't anyone else to do it. Also Decker was just as important and Denver ended using him as a punt returner.

Thats exactlly right. When we signed Sanders it was also because of his return abilities. We lost Decker and Holiday so this sort of handles both issues.

Buff
03-20-2014, 11:25 AM

The "DEEP" ball is rarely used and rarely completed, anyway. It's not about accuracy when throwing the DEEP ball, at all.....its about timing. You put the ball up and away from the defender/safety, and let the WR go TO the ball. However, if you hit the WR earlier and over the top of the CB, then you are talking more about accuracy and timing (as to when to throw)...and that is Manning's game. That also allows the WR to get yardage after the catch.

Mannning knows where the coverage dictates the 1-v-1 matchup, and hits that quickly. I ahve zero problems with our deep ball, considering how many deep plays we had last year, I don't see how its a problem at all. How many times was Decker running deep and free? What more do we need?

These are extreme homer takes. No other way around it. Manning's arm strength is very limited and it's very obvious.

Ravage!!!
03-20-2014, 11:26 AM

I don't think Elway will use Sanders as a kick/punt returner. His latest comments on taht matter made it clear as to his thinking on this.

Ravage!!!
03-20-2014, 11:27 AM
These are extreme homer takes. No other way around it. Manning's arm strength is very limited and it's very obvious.

I think you are wrong. I don't think they are homer takes at all.

topscribe
03-20-2014, 11:30 AM
Uh, I'm really not so sure how to respond to this. Mainly because it is the complete opposite of what has actually transpired.
It would help if you would elaborate on that. What amounts to "no sir!" does not
constitute a convincing rebuttal.

But I have seen DT, JT, and Decker break into the open deep and Peyton place
the ball perfectly over their respective shoulders. The fact is, 70-yard moon
shots have been rare throughout the history of football. Peyton has thrown the
ball 40 yards down field and put it on a dime. That's all one can ask for form
any QB.

topscribe
03-20-2014, 11:34 AM
I think you are wrong. I don't think they are homer takes at all.
Thank you. I really don't understand such a response, other than it is easier than
to present an intelligent discussion.

DenBronx
03-20-2014, 11:39 AM

Man, I don't know Buff. His first year here there was alot of obvious ducks but by the end of year two he was throwing alot of duck touchdowns. There have been some throws where the ball has got away but overall his accuracy and timing have been great. At his age he isnt going to wow us with alot of deep balls not because he CANT do it but because thats not really our game. Its mostly quick chunks of yardage and getting the first down before anything. But we have seen him go deep and he has done it very well when needed or when there has been the opportunity he has taken it.

But the deep ball really isnt our game. No need to do it when everything else is working so well. He does look alot stronger now post surgery. Alot of those nerves seem to be better as well as his strenght. Thomas said in camp he noticed a vast differance in his arm strength and noted the ball was coming out really fast and had a ton of zip to it.

Now that we have Sanders I think we will test that part out more this year.

BroncoJoe
03-20-2014, 11:45 AM
It would help if you would elaborate on that. What amounts to "no sir!" does not
constitute a convincing rebuttal.

But I have seen DT, JT, and Decker break into the open deep and Peyton place
the ball perfectly over their respective shoulders. The fact is, 70-yard moon
shots have been rare throughout the history of football. Peyton has thrown the
ball 40 yards down field and put it on a dime. That's all one can ask for form
any QB.

Your snide remarks aside, Manning threw one ball 40+ yards last year according to ESPN stats. Yes, it was completed for 52 yards.

I guess my point was it was clearly talked about not only here, but in the national sports news media. Guess we need to define what constitutes the "long ball". We did not stretch the field on a regular basis.

BroncoJoe
03-20-2014, 11:49 AM
Thank you. I really don't understand such a response, other than it is easier than
to present an intelligent discussion.

Again, keep your snide remarks to yourself. I can certainly say I don't agree with anything anyone states without presenting a full-blown, stat filled Joel post.

Buff
03-20-2014, 11:51 AM
He's capable of completing a deep'ish pass... But not with much accuracy or strength. He needs to have a totally clean pocket and basically crow hop to make it happen.

DenBronx
03-20-2014, 11:54 AM
He's capable of completing a deep'ish pass... But not with much accuracy or strength. He needs to have a totally clean pocket and basically crow hop to make it happen.

He's certainly capable just don't see the need when that's not our game. if it's not broke....why fix it???

Now, I do think he takes more shots on the deep ball this year.

topscribe
03-20-2014, 11:57 AM
Again, keep your snide remarks to yourself. I can certainly say I don't agree with anything anyone states without presenting a full-blown, stat filled Joel post.

I can't help it if you have such a thin skin. My comment you just quoted was not
in response to you, anyway. It was regarding the "homer' remark that you did
not make. So don't be so eager to become offended.

Anyway, you certainly can say you don't agree, even if that's all you have to
say, as if that adds a lot to the discussion. By the same token, I can certainly
say what I have to say, even if you privately interpret it as "snide."

BroncoJoe
03-20-2014, 12:01 PM
I can't help it if you have such a thin skin. My comment you just quoted was not
in response to you, anyway. It was regarding the "homer' remark that you did
not make. So don't be so eager to become offended.

Anyway, you certainly can say you don't agree, even if that's all you have to
say, as if that adds a lot to the discussion. By the same token, I can certainly
say what I have to say, even if you privately interpret it as "snide."

Top - you are the KING of getting butt-hurt over comments, so save your preaching for someone else re: thin skin. Or better yet - look in the mirror.

That said, are you saying that here, at this very forum, Manning's arm strength (issue) was not discussed? Are you saying the national sports media didn't talk about his ability (or lack thereof) at throwing the deep ball?

Buff
03-20-2014, 12:03 PM
He's certainly capable just don't see the need when that's not our game. if it's not broke....why fix it???

Now, I do think he takes more shots on the deep ball this year.

He's not capable though. He's got some really serious limitations that occasionally rear their head. We've just done a phenomenal job of not exposing him and structuring our offense around his strengths.

Ravage!!!
03-20-2014, 12:06 PM

Again.. accuracy doesn't apply to the "deep" ball you are talkinga bout. That's purely throwing it up and letting the receiver run under it. Most QBs have to "step into" a deep ball. That's why you see the commentators point out the "pressure up the gut that didn't allow the QB to step into the pass" when balls fall short. It's a pretty common thing to happen, and every QB needs them.

Personally, I think we "stretch" the field VERY well. Considering we just set NFL records for yards and points in a season, I don't see the need to "stretch" the field any more than we have already shown the propensity to do. Manning hits the deep outside ball between the corner and the safety. That's what we need to do. The DEEP.. "hail mary" type of pass just isn't needed. We don't have a problem keeping the safeties back, as they have had to stay back from the moment Manning has arrived. They dn't creep up like they did with Orton and Tebow, and that is because Manning can beat them deep.

I just don't see a problem, and believe your coments to be overly critical and highly exaggerated.

Ravage!!!
03-20-2014, 12:07 PM
That said, are you saying that here, at this very forum, Manning's arm strength (issue) was not discussed? Are you saying the national sports media didn't talk about his ability (or lack thereof) at throwing the deep ball?

in 2012 or 2013?

topscribe
03-20-2014, 12:09 PM
Top - you are the KING of getting butt-hurt over comments, so save your preaching for someone else re: thin skin. Or better yet - look in the mirror.

Well, once again, we are making each other the topic. But this seems what you
do the best, so who am I to stop you? We all have to be good at something,
right? By the way, despite your shot at Joel, I appreciate his contributions.

Now, regarding Peyton (he is the topic rather than me, right?), all I am doing
is reporting what I have seen. I don't need to go to the national sports media,
who don't know the Broncos like I, or most other Broncos fans, do. I trust my
eyes more than I do them. I have seen Peyton take his shots. That's good
enough for me.

DenBronx
03-20-2014, 12:11 PM
He's not capable though. He's got some really serious limitations that occasionally rear their head. We've just done a phenomenal job of not exposing him and structuring our offense around his strengths.

That's your opinion but I would never say Manning isnt capable.

DenBronx
03-20-2014, 12:13 PM
When you had guys like DT, JT or Decker that were able to extend the play well beyond where it began there was no need to throw bombs all day. DT would catch it at the line of scrimmage then break off chunks of 40 yards. No need to throw it 40 yards when you have the talent our WRs have that can just do it with their speed and legs.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-20-2014, 12:18 PM
Having another receiver who can stretch the defense will help a lot.

topscribe
03-20-2014, 12:21 PM
Having another receiver who can stretch the defense will help a lot.
Simple and to the point, and precisely the topic of the thread.. Probably the best post in the thread.

topscribe
03-20-2014, 12:34 PM
When you had guys like DT, JT or Decker that were able to extend the play well beyond where it began there was no need to throw bombs all day. DT would catch it at the line of scrimmage then break off chunks of 40 yards. No need to throw it 40 yards when you have the talent our WRs have that can just do it with their speed and legs.
Well, that's just it. Playing to our strengths.

It just seems that because Peyton doesn't throw deep very often, some people
seemingly get to thinking that he can't.

BroncoJoe
03-20-2014, 12:34 PM
Well, once again, we are making each other the topic. But this seems what you
do the best, so who am I to stop you? We all have to be good at something,
right? By the way, despite your shot at Joel, I appreciate his contributions.

Now, regarding Peyton (he is the topic rather than me, right?), all I am doing
is reporting what I have seen. I don't need to go to the national sports media,
who don't know the Broncos like I, or most other Broncos fans, do. I trust my
eyes more than I do them. I have seen Peyton take his shots. That's good
enough for me.

My initial comment was simplistic, yet to the point. In fact, I used the phrase "I honestly don't know." and "speed kills". It also corresponds to many discussions (attn: RAV - 2012 and 2013) regarding Peyton's arm strength and ability to throw it deep.

Again, as mentioned before, maybe we should define what a deep ball is. He threw ONE ball 40+ yards last year. One. That's hardly "taking shots". More like shot.

I am glad you trust your eyes. IMO, you should see an optometrist.

topscribe
03-20-2014, 12:37 PM
My initial comment was simplistic, yet to the point. In fact, I used the phrase "I honestly don't know." and "speed kills". It also corresponds to many discussions (attn: RAV - 2012 and 2013) regarding Peyton's arm strength and ability to throw it deep.

Again, as mentioned before, maybe we should define what a deep ball is. He threw ONE ball 40+ yards last year. One. That's hardly "taking shots". More like shot.

I am glad you trust your eyes. IMO, you should see an optometrist.
This was (finally) a good post until you just had to throw in the "snide" remark. :lol:

DenBronx
03-20-2014, 12:42 PM
Personally, I like to use the word snarky instead of snide.

topscribe
03-20-2014, 12:43 PM
Personally, I like to use the word snarky instead of snide.
Let's compromise. How about "snikey"? Or would you prefer "snard"?

BroncoJoe
03-20-2014, 12:46 PM
This was (finally) a good post until you just had to throw in the "snide" remark. :lol:

Thanks for the compliment, I guess.

You threw the first stone. If you're not prepared to have one thrown back, don't throw one yourself.

BTW - I'm still waiting for your first "good" post. What you've accused me of in this thread (and others) is EXACTLY what you do on a consistent basis. Give an opinion without any backup. "I trust my eyes. Damn those who don't see what I see!"

topscribe
03-20-2014, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the compliment, I guess.

You threw the first stone. If you're not prepared to have one thrown back, don't throw one yourself.

BTW - I'm still waiting for your first "good" post. What you've accused me of in this thread (and others) is EXACTLY what you do on a consistent basis. Give an opinion without any backup. "I trust my eyes. Damn those who don't see what I see!"
Geez, Joe. Is a pissing contest your way of having a good time?

Lighten up. Wow . . .

BroncoJoe
03-20-2014, 12:57 PM
Geez, Joe. Is a pissing contest your way of having a good time?

Lighten up. Wow . . .

I'm cool. Just sick of your holier than thou posting.

Buff
03-20-2014, 12:58 PM
That's your opinion but I would never say Manning isnt capable.

Manning has acknowledged that he has post-surgery limitations. The guy is still a great QB - but his limitations are obvious IMO.

topscribe
03-20-2014, 01:01 PM
I'm cool. Just sick of your holier than thou posting.
Look, all I do is try to discuss an issue. If you don't like the way I post, ignore
me. Better yet, just put me on Ignore. That would go a long way toward
solving your dilemma. Glad to be of help. ;)

topscribe
03-20-2014, 01:03 PM
Manning has acknowledged that he has post-surgery limitations. The guy is still a great QB - but his limitations are obvious IMO.
As do all of them. It's amazing that, with his limitations, he's still considered one
of the best ever. We're blessed to have him, if only for a short time . . .

BroncoJoe
03-20-2014, 01:06 PM
Look, all I do is try to discuss an issue. If you don't like the way I post, ignore
me. Better yet, just put me on Ignore. That would go a long way toward
solving your dilemma. Glad to be of help. ;)

Nah - I need a good laugh daily.

topscribe
03-20-2014, 01:08 PM
Nah - I need a good laugh daily.
Well, that would be good. I certainly do hope you can cheer up.

Enjoy your day.

DenBronx
03-20-2014, 01:32 PM

I really enjoy my limited QB breaking almost every record known to mankind in a Broncos uniform. I guess our severely handi-capped franchise QB should just retire and hand the reigns over to Brock who can throw it 100 yards?

Not sure why you fail to realize Manning doesnt throw it deep because A.) Manning doesnt have to throw it deep and B.) Our talented group of WRs can make a small play a big play.

luckyseven
03-20-2014, 03:00 PM
But his speed and quickness also will. Among Sanders, DT, Bubba, and JT, there
is going to be some deep speed to open up the field. That's a very fast group.
YEP

see beow

Thats exactlly right. When we signed Sanders it was also because of his return abilities. We lost Decker and Holiday so this sort of handles both issues.

having him as an option does not make him THE guy. I think he will be used in about the same way Decker was as a sure handed, SMART guy that will handled it cleanly and not do something stupid.

I don't think Elway will use Sanders as a kick/punt returner. His latest comments on taht matter made it clear as to his thinking on this.

Yet when push comes to shove he did not want to use Decker either. see the above comment

IMO he will be an emergency guy for it. UNLESS John can find an exceptional guy in the draft or groom someone already on the team.

luckyseven
03-20-2014, 03:25 PM
Man, I don't know Buff. His first year here there was alot of obvious ducks but by the end of year two he was throwing alot of duck touchdowns. There have been some throws where the ball has got away but overall his accuracy and timing have been great. At his age he isnt going to wow us with alot of deep balls not because he CANT do it but because thats not really our game. Its mostly quick chunks of yardage and getting the first down before anything. But we have seen him go deep and he has done it very well when needed or when there has been the opportunity he has taken it.

But the deep ball really isnt our game. No need to do it when everything else is working so well. He does look alot stronger now post surgery. Alot of those nerves seem to be better as well as his strenght. Thomas said in camp he noticed a vast differance in his arm strength and noted the ball was coming out really fast and had a ton of zip to it.

Now that we have Sanders I think we will test that part out more this year.

to Manning it is a long hand of to a skilled runner who gets YAC. trying to kill the clock keeping the other team off the field, all the while tiring the defense so in the late third quarter and fourth they do not have the stamina that we do especially at Home.

keep a lead and force them to make mistakes. and this year Hunting season on QBs starts week one.

Ravage!!!
03-20-2014, 04:03 PM

Which is throwing a very deep ball that isn't needed. Ok. I'll accept those limitations. I'll complain when we have to throw a lot of hail mary passes and need someone else to come of the bench and throw them. Until then, the "LONG" ball isn't really an accurate pass anyway. But to say that his "limitations" are so obvious, then I would think you would have more of them, and better examples. Saying that the QB can't throw the ball deep without needing to step up into the ball, isn't saying much.

NightTerror218
03-20-2014, 09:42 PM
I hope Sanders can stretch the field and draw the FS away for over thw top coverage to give Thomas more single coverage.

Simple Jaded
03-20-2014, 10:28 PM
Call me a homer all you want but I saw Manning drop deep passes in the bucket, drive it into tight windows and put deep outs on a rope. He can still make these throws he just needs a clean pocket so he can get all he has into the throw.

ShaneFalco
03-20-2014, 10:35 PM
Call me a homer all you want but I saw Manning drop deep passes in the bucket, drive it into tight windows and put deep outs on a rope. He can still make these throws he just needs a clean pocket so he can get all he has into the throw.

which leads me to believe broncos will draft more ol this year

FanInAZ
03-21-2014, 12:09 AM
B.) Our talented group of WRs can make a small play a big play.

This worked well all season, until we got to the SB & went up against a D that knew how to tackle. I've never liked the idea of putting all of your eggs in the one basket of counting on your opponents having never mastered the basic fundamentals of football, such as the basic fundamentals of how to tackle someone to prevent them from tallying up a ridiculous amount of yards after 1st contact. Especially if your own players haven't mastered them either, such as the basic fundamentals of how to catch the football leading to a ridiculous number of dropped passes.

luckyseven
03-21-2014, 01:19 AM
This worked well all season, until we got to the SB & went up against a D that knew how to tackle. I've never liked the idea of putting all of your eggs in the one basket of counting on your opponents having never mastered the basic fundamentals of football, such as the basic fundamentals of how to tackle someone to prevent them from tallying up a ridiculous amount of yards after 1st contact. Especially if your own players haven't mastered them either, such as the basic fundamentals of how to catch the football leading to a ridiculous number of dropped passes.

Or fumbling them with good tackles.

For that matter not being able to get off the LOS even though you are bigger than the DBS.