PDA

View Full Version : Depressed Running Back market

turftoad
03-15-2014, 04:58 PM
Just sign Moreno to a home town discount 3 mil a year deal and get it over with.

"Per multiple reports, Tate’s new contract with the Brown is worth “up to” $7 million over two years. The presence of “up to” implies that the base value is lower. Which would make the per-year base value lower than the per-year base values of the contracts signed recently by Jaguars running back Toby Gerhart and Chargers running back Donald Brown."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/15/tates-two-year-deal-reflects-the-depressed-tailback-market/

dogfish
03-15-2014, 06:16 PM
i'm with ya, toad-- they need to just get it done at this point. . . JFE doesn't seem very interested, though. . .

Denver Native (Carol)
03-15-2014, 06:38 PM
I am also with you toad - I would love to see Knowshon back with the Broncos.

Simple Jaded
03-15-2014, 08:41 PM
See what Philly wants for Bryce Brown.

BroncoWave
03-15-2014, 08:48 PM
i'm with ya, toad-- they need to just get it done at this point. . . JFE doesn't seem very interested, though. . .

I usually can see where Elway is coming from in most of his moves, but I really don't see why he wouldn't bring Moreno back for cheap at this point. He ran hard last season and was a vital cog in the passing game. We still need another back to go along with Ball, and this just makes too much sense.

Simple Jaded
03-15-2014, 08:53 PM
I usually can see where Elway is coming from in most of his moves, but I really don't see why he wouldn't bring Moreno back for cheap at this point. He ran hard last season and was a vital cog in the passing game. We still need another back to go along with Ball, and this just makes too much sense.

Maybe they just wanna turn the page and hand it over to Ball and Anderson.

BroncoWave
03-15-2014, 09:01 PM
Maybe they just wanna turn the page and hand it over to Ball and Anderson.

We can start turning the page to younger players when Manning retires. I think we are better with Ball/Moreno than Ball/Anderson, and it's really important to be as good as possible in the short term right now as small as our window is.

Now for all I know, Elway is really high on Anderson and he will break out this year. I guess time will tell.

Simple Jaded
03-15-2014, 09:06 PM
We can start turning the page to younger players when Manning retires. I think we are better with Ball/Moreno than Ball/Anderson, and it's really important to be as good as possible in the short term right now as small as our window is.

Now for all I know, Elway is really high on Anderson and he will break out this year. I guess time will tell.

Dude was the only offensive player that played with any kind of attitude at all, I would think that counts for something. I actually don't mind either way, this time a year ago I woulda said "good riddance".

dogfish
03-15-2014, 09:21 PM

why? no point trading for a back when one who works great in our O and ran hard for us last year is available for no compensation. . .

Simple Jaded
03-15-2014, 09:25 PM
why? no point trading for a back when one who works great in our O and ran hard for us last year is available for no compensation. . .
For one, he's younger with less mileage, two, he's far more talented and explosive, three, he's cheaper and four, the Broncos may look to draft a RB anyway.

Maybe a case of Quinoa's straight up will get it done.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-15-2014, 09:40 PM
Im still mad about him watching the pic6.

luckyseven
03-15-2014, 10:18 PM

I'd take him back a VET minimum. while he was a good RB last year he could not hold his water the first 3 years of his time in Denver.

WARHORSE
03-15-2014, 10:41 PM
For one, he's younger with less mileage, two, he's far more talented and explosive, three, he's cheaper and four, the Broncos may look to draft a RB anyway.

Maybe a case of Quinoa's straight up will get it done.

I love his ability.......but hate his fumbling. No thanks. He's Trindon Holliday in the backfield. Remember that feeling of your heart up in your throat you would get

every time the first defender got anywhere near Trindon? Imagine that 20 times a game.

Simple Jaded
03-15-2014, 10:50 PM
I love his ability.......but hate his fumbling. No thanks. He's Trindon Holliday in the backfield. Remember that feeling of your heart up in your throat you would get

every time the first defender got anywhere near Trindon? Imagine that 20 times a game.
Holidays problem is size, I think Brown can overcome his issue.

Jsteve01
03-16-2014, 12:10 AM
Im still mad about him watching the pic6. dude have you rewatched that play...I don't think it's fair at all to so that he just stood and watched the pick six. he had just turned out of his route and was attempting to settle back in the the zone behind the backer. his momentum is going away from the ball and he had no idea it had been tipped.

wcben
03-16-2014, 12:32 AM

He's electric! With sproles in town he's expendable -would love that move. I'm sorta down on Hillman he's serviceable when he gets outside tackle but lacks up the middle compared to Ball IMO

CrazyHorse
03-16-2014, 04:40 AM
I think Ball is the better runner, but Moreno is definitely better on 3rd downs being a better blocker and receiver.

ShaneFalco
03-16-2014, 05:16 AM
how much cap is left? i saw that black haired jewish guy on NFL network talking about maybe going after MJD

CrazyHorse
03-16-2014, 05:30 AM
how much cap is left? i saw that black haired jewish guy on NFL network talking about maybe going after MJD

He's got a lot of tread on his tires and is more of a pounder like I think we have with Ball. We need that 3rd down RB that can catch and block well.

DenBronx
03-16-2014, 07:18 AM
Morenos not getting any love on the open market.

Might as well bring him back home Mr Elway!

TXBRONC
03-16-2014, 08:03 AM

I wouldn't trade for him.

Moreno played well for us and if Elway brought him back fine but moving on from him isn't as big of a loss as losing Decker.

Elway can probably come up with someone better from the draft.

Northman
03-16-2014, 09:02 AM

Were you mad on the opening play when he jumped on the loose ball while Peyton just watched?

Simple Jaded
03-16-2014, 09:59 AM
I wouldn't trade for him.

Moreno played well for us and if Elway brought him back fine but moving on from him isn't as big of a loss as losing Decker.

Elway can probably come up with someone better from the draft.

Elway found Ball and Hillman in the draft, I'd say he's batting .500. We already know Brown is gifted.

BroncoWave
03-16-2014, 10:15 AM
Were you mad on the opening play when he jumped on the loose ball while Peyton just watched?

You never want your QB (especially one as unathletic as Manning) throwing his body around after a turnover. It's not worth the 2 points we gave up to risk him getting injured like that. I had no issue with him not going after the ball.

Northman
03-16-2014, 10:16 AM
You never want your QB (especially one as unathletic as Manning) throwing his body around after a turnover. It's not worth the 2 points we gave up to risk him getting injured like that. I had no issue with him not going after the ball.

You missed the point completely.

BroncoWave
03-16-2014, 10:17 AM
You missed the point completely.

I think your point is that if he were mad at Moreno for not chasing down the pick 6, he should also have been Manning for not going after the loose ball. If that is your point I disagree with it, for the reason I gave.

Northman
03-16-2014, 10:23 AM
I think your point is that if he were mad at Moreno for not chasing down the pick 6, he should also have been Manning for not going after the loose ball. If that is your point I disagree with it, for the reason I gave.

To a point yes, however the main point was that he was mad for Moreno not chasing down the pick 6 yet gave no credit for KnowMO jumping on the ball and limiting the damage to 2 pts rather than 6 by the defense as Manning was doing nothing about it. In other words, i think he was cherry picking something on Moreno without giving credence to the other things he did do right.

BroncoWave
03-16-2014, 10:25 AM
To a point yes, however the main point was that he was mad for Moreno not chasing down the pick 6 yet gave no credit for KnowMO jumping on the ball and limiting the damage to 2 pts rather than 6 by the defense as Manning was doing nothing about it. In other words, i think he was cherry picking something on Moreno without giving credence to the other things he did do right.

Fair enough. I just don't think it's necessary to bring up that Manning was doing nothing about it, because IMO he was correct to do nothing about it. Especially against a defense like that who would have relished the chance to take a free shot at him.

Northman
03-16-2014, 10:28 AM
Fair enough. I just don't think it's necessary to bring up that Manning was doing nothing about it, because IMO he was correct to do nothing about it. Especially against a defense like that who would have relished the chance to take a free shot at him.

I disagree with you but have always known Manning to be that way. I guess just watching guys like Elway for so many years gave me an appreciation to a QB like that than someone of Manning's mold. I just want guys who play for every play even if it means they might get hurt. Just how i feel about that and its a reason why one of the most iconic plays by John was the helicopter spin because you could see just how bad he wanted it. But that was low on my totem pole in this example as it was more about giving Moreno credit rather than taking it away from Manning even though i already knew how he was in those situations.

DenBronx
03-16-2014, 01:07 PM
I do like MJD too though. He has been buried under ten feet of crap in Jacksonville for years. Bet he woiuld shine once again in an offense like ours. If it doesnt work out with Moreno then Id more than happy to get MJD.

luckyseven
03-16-2014, 02:02 PM

Est. Salary Cap Space $11,781,000 before Saunders those numbers are not offical yet. guessing somewhere about 5 million a year.

johnnyvbfl
03-16-2014, 03:35 PM
Mjd...mjd...mjd. Mjd...mjd...mjd...mjd!!!!!!!

turftoad
03-16-2014, 03:38 PM

I'd much rather keep Moreno, he plays well in our system and already knows it.

dogfish
03-16-2014, 03:54 PM

plus he still has knees. . .

DenBronx
03-16-2014, 04:03 PM

He deserves first shot if we are going to get a FA RB. He played his guts out last year. If we can't agree to terms then I'd like MJD.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-16-2014, 04:11 PM

I'm so hoping this happens - his "tears" really got to me. He had a great season last year.

TXBRONC
03-16-2014, 08:52 PM

At this point I would take Moreno over MJD.

Simple Jaded
03-16-2014, 09:00 PM
How come "knows the system" is only relevant when there's a sentimental attachment?

BroncoWave
03-16-2014, 09:02 PM
How come "knows the system" is only relevant when there's a sentimental attachment?

What do you mean by that?

Simple Jaded
03-16-2014, 09:34 PM
What do you mean by that?

I keep seeing that reasoning.

Dammit Donald and Joseph Addai know the protections but there was rarely, if ever, a word about them because we don't care about them.

I'm not sure Denver can afford to be sentimental, especially at RB.

BroncoWave
03-16-2014, 10:37 PM
I keep seeing that reasoning.

Dammit Donald and Joseph Addai know the protections but there was rarely, if ever, a word about them because we don't care about them.

I'm not sure Denver can afford to be sentimental, especially at RB.

I can't say I agree with that. There were a bunch of people wanting us to sign Saturday when Manning came in because of their connection. Same for some of his WRs there.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-16-2014, 10:50 PM
Neither one of those guys have proven to be as effective at blocking or receiving as Moreno. That's why I want him back. He's highly competitive and he's an excellent 3rd down back.

luckyseven
03-16-2014, 10:53 PM
I can't say I agree with that. There were a bunch of people wanting us to sign Saturday when Manning came in because of their connection. Same for some of his WRs there.

Manning was one of them, but allowed John and John to make the final decision.

Simple Jaded
03-16-2014, 11:00 PM

We had sentimental favorite at C at the time, however when Manning signed I do remember the Anthony Gonzales, Reggie Wayne ideas.

TXBRONC
03-17-2014, 08:58 AM
We had sentimental favorite at C at the time, however when Manning signed I do remember the Anthony Gonzales, Reggie Wayne ideas.

I remember there a lot of chatter about trying to get Wayne here but I don't remember there being much about getting Anthony Gonzales to Denver.

Buff
03-17-2014, 11:30 AM
I share in their sadness. Chins up, running backs.