PDA

View Full Version : Why do we keep ignoring MLB?

DenBronx
03-14-2014, 03:10 PM
Seriously. Seems like ever since Al Wilson retired we havent got this right. It's always been a band aide.

Looks like the market for any veteran MLBs has now dried up. Do we have plans on actually drafting one?? If we do draft one is it going to be in round 4 or later?? Or are we going to find another over the hill guy who no one has signed well into camp?

My answer is this. Who is THE BEST MLB in this years draft? Is that player a franchise MLB? If so then we better trade up and get him. I dont care about losing draft picks. No one cares about depth and every damn position. We need this fixed now! Like pronto.

dogfish
03-14-2014, 03:20 PM
Why do we keep ignoring MLB?

we're not ignoring it-- we met with d'qwell jackson, and reportedly talked to daryl's smith's agent. . . now, "why haven't we prioritized MLB more?" would be a fair question. . . i'd wait 'til after the draft to ask it, though. . . john's obviously aware of the situation, but you only have so many resources to allocate, and DBs and edge rushers are probably more critical in today's passing league. . . i'm not going to complain-- i'm just glad they FINALLY fixed D-tackle, which had been a gaping sinkhole for even longer. . .

CoachChaz
03-14-2014, 03:22 PM
Seems like we always have a position to complain about. No team is ever going to have a great player at each position. Period. So, the only answer is to overpay for 30-something guys in FA...or give up your future for a "hopeful" in the draft. Sometimes you just have to develop a player until a better option comes along.

DenBronx
03-14-2014, 03:23 PM
I used to pull my hair out every offseason about the DT position. MLB was always a close 2nd.

It is now a 1st priority.

CoachChaz
03-14-2014, 03:26 PM
I used to pull my hair out every offseason about the DT position. MLB was always a close 2nd.

I guess I see it differently. #1 should be a guard to protect Manning. #2 should be another corner so that when we are facing 50 pass plays a game and Talib is hurt...we arent relying on Harris, Kayvon and Carter. After that, I'll worry about a MLB

DenBronx
03-14-2014, 03:28 PM
Looks like Brandon Spikes has a new home. He was the last of the mohicans.

CoachChaz
03-14-2014, 03:31 PM
It's Jamar Chaney time!!!

DenBronx
03-14-2014, 03:36 PM
I guess I see it differently. #1 should be a guard to protect Manning. #2 should be another corner so that when we are facing 50 pass plays a game and Talib is hurt...we arent relying on Harris, Kayvon and Carter. After that, I'll worry about a MLB

Thats just the thing. Its ass backwards Coach. Up until the SB we kept saying how clean Manning was and he was never getting hit. With a healthy Clady, some slight tweaking and maybe a 2nd or 3rd day draft choice for depth we are going to be ok. As of now Talib isnt hurt. The front office decided to not pay Revis what he wanted this year and DRC rejected our offer. Plan C was Talib and Harris is recovering fine. Adding in Ward is only going to help our DBs tremendously.

Still doesnt change the fact that MLB is the QB of the defense. MLB is the one who usually calls the plays and audibles for the defense. We need that nasty leader in the middle again. I am not ok with Stewart Bradley in our championship now or never run and could care less if we have to trade a 3rd and 4th to climb up into the 20s to get a guy that will help win now.

Is the best MLB going to be there at 31??? No he isnt. The only other option I think the draft if we dont trade up is Shayne Skov. Originally I wanted him in round 3. We are picking LATE in round 3 and the risk of even him not being there is very high. So then we would have to reach for him in round 2. If thats the case then we might as well just go guns blazing and trade up for the highest rated MLB in round 1.

CoachChaz
03-14-2014, 03:50 PM
Thats just the thing. Its ass backwards Coach. Up until the SB we kept saying how clean Manning was and he was never getting hit. With a healthy Clady, some slight tweaking and maybe a 2nd or 3rd day draft choice for depth we are going to be ok. As of now Talib isnt hurt. The front office decided to not pay Revis what he wanted this year and DRC rejected our offer. Plan C was Talib and Harris is recovering fine. Adding in Ward is only going to help our DBs tremendously.

Still doesnt change the fact that MLB is the QB of the defense. MLB is the one who usually calls the plays and audibles for the defense. We need that nasty leader in the middle again. I am not ok with Stewart Bradley in our championship now or never run and could care less if we have to trade a 3rd and 4th to climb up into the 20s to get a guy that will help win now.

Is the best MLB going to be there at 31??? No he isnt. The only other option I think the draft if we dont trade up is Shayne Skov. Originally I wanted him in round 3. We are picking LATE in round 3 and the risk of even him not being there is very high. So then we would have to reach for him in round 2. If thats the case then we might as well just go guns blazing and trade up for the highest rated MLB in round 1.

And that's where I trust Elway to determine that giving up a ton of picks isnt worth it for Moseley. I'll agree he is the best ILB in this draft, but that doesnt put him in the ballpark of being a future Pro-Bowler. I see him and I think Lavonte David...not Luke Keuchly.

And to be honest...I'd draft Smallwood and maybe even Borland before I drafted Skov. Skov is a 3-4 ILB that cant get sideline to sideline

In fact...if you want a good coverage MLB...draft Christian Jones, put 5-10 pounds on him and develop his tackling skills.

Jsteve01
03-14-2014, 03:50 PM
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jamar-chaney?id=496907

Know nothing about him but he looks like an athlete

CoachChaz
03-14-2014, 03:52 PM
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jamar-chaney?id=496907

Know nothing about him but he looks like an athlete

He had a great year with Philly and then they got Ryans and Chaney became the plague. No clue why no one wanted him and I was happy when we signed him to a futures contract

DenBronx
03-14-2014, 03:55 PM
There isnt a Luke Keuchly in this years draft. There rarely is. He went beastmode for Carolina.

CoachChaz
03-14-2014, 03:59 PM
There isnt a Luke Keuchly in this years draft. There rarely is. He went beastmode for Carolina.

And that's my point. When another guy like Keuchly comes about, then you trade up for him. Not CJ Mosely

CoachChaz
03-14-2014, 04:04 PM
My dark horse at MLB...Andrew Jackson from Western Kentucky. Round 3

NightTerror218
03-14-2014, 04:16 PM
Been hearing more about borland. He was ok nicked on for being less athletic but did well in combine. I do not want to most I sane athlete at MLB. I want a smart guy who can read an offense and make a play. They do not need side line to side line speed. Look at ray Lewis he was not the fastest but he was damn good. Luke is all over field because he is smart and goes after ball.

I would take Borland Skov or Bullough in this draft. Bullough as more depth and to let him challenge for MLB. He was all american last year but had issue. Skov has not had is pro day yet so his athleticism will be seen then.

I have heard mosley might be great 3-4 ILB and will in will in 4-3 because of size. He is athletic freak will good coverage skills.

MOtorboat
03-14-2014, 04:46 PM
I just don't think it's all that important, to be honest. I think there's a reason MLB was second tier to pass rusher and cornerback, and it's because Denver doesn't want to use one. They played a 3-4 when Miller was healthy last year, and will again this year with Miller and Ware on the field at the same time. Trevathan called the plays last year.

Denver just needs a leader. For years it was Al Wilson, and as he got older it was John Lynch. Then it was Dawkins. Miller is not that type of leader, Dumervil never was, I don't expect Ware to be. And Champ, for all his talent, wasn't that guy.

I don't give a shit what position we label that guy at, that's what we need, a leader. I thought it would be Jackson, because he's that type of player. Maybe the coaches will feel confident giving that to Travathan now that he'll be in his second year of starting. I don't think Ward is that player, but maybe he is.

Either way, Denver needs to prioritize finding a leader. If that guy is a MLB, fine, if he's a safety, fine.

Hawgdriver
03-14-2014, 05:23 PM
I just don't think it's all that important, to be honest....

Denver just needs a leader.

Do you think Wolfe could have been that leader? He seems to possess the aggressive temperament and relentlessness you want. Not sure about the charisma aspect.

I agree with you on this point big time.

7DnBrnc53
03-14-2014, 05:23 PM
Since Woodyard is in Tennessee, and they will probably have him and Zach Brown playing inside in their new 3-4 scheme, I wonder if they would trade Colin McCarthy? He has been good when healthy.

BroncoWave
03-14-2014, 05:24 PM
He had a great year with Philly and then they got Ryans and Chaney became the plague. No clue why no one wanted him and I was happy when we signed him to a futures contract

I'm a Miss St. fan and Chaney was the heart and soul of our D when he was there. One of my favorite bulldogs ever. I would LOVE to see him in Denver.

CoachChaz
03-14-2014, 05:40 PM

I'm a Miss St. fan and Chaney was the heart and soul of our D when he was there. One of my favorite bulldogs ever. I would LOVE to see him in Denver.

We have him on a futures contract

MOtorboat
03-14-2014, 06:31 PM
Do you think Wolfe could have been that leader? He seems to possess the aggressive temperament and relentlessness you want. Not sure about the charisma aspect.

I agree with you on this point big time.

I don't think Wolfe is the type of guy I'm talking about.

Bosco
03-14-2014, 07:21 PM
They played a 3-4 when Miller was healthy last year, and will again this year with Miller and Ware on the field at the same time.

Not to pick on you, but that's not correct. We run a 4-3 Under as a base which can like similar to a 5-2 or 3-4 alignment, but is not actually a 3-4.

MOtorboat
03-14-2014, 07:24 PM
Not to pick on you, but that's not correct. We run a 4-3 Under as a base which can like similar to a 5-2 or 3-4 alignment, but is not actually a 3-4.

Did. In both of Miller's first two seasons.

When they added Phillips they were playing a straight 4-3 with him at right defensive end. When Miller came back and was healthy, they stood Phillips up, moved him out wide and ran some zone blitz with him, shifted the line over and slid Miller in on the left. Go look at the film. Denver was running a straight up 3-4 with those two guys on the field, if they were in a base set.

Bosco
03-14-2014, 07:33 PM
Did. In both of Miller's first two seasons.

When they added Phillips they were playing a straight 4-3 with him at right defensive end. When Miller came back and was healthy, they stood Phillips up, moved him out wide and ran some zone blitz with him, shifted the line over and slid Miller in on the left. Go look at the film. Denver was running a straight up 3-4 with those two guys on the field, if they were in a base set.

That sounds like the 5-2 alignment we've been seeing since JDR showed up.

MOtorboat
03-14-2014, 07:35 PM
That sounds like the 5-2 alignment we've been seeing since JDR showed up.

It wasn't that, either. Similar, but both ends were up, and dropping on some plays, rushing on others. It was a 3-4 scheme.

They played it against Washington and Indianapolis for sure. The first six games they played a straight up 4-3, almost like a wide 9 with where they had Wolfe and Phillips line up at.

Bosco
03-14-2014, 07:45 PM
It wasn't that, either. Similar, but both ends were up, and dropping on some plays, rushing on others. It was a 3-4 scheme.

They played it against Washington and Indianapolis for sure. The first six games they played a straight up 4-3, almost like a wide 9 with where they had Wolfe and Phillips line up at.

If Phillips and Von were both on line...regardless of stance...then it is a 5-2. Could also be a double fan alignment, talked about here (http://orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=103324). A true 3-4 will very rarely have 5 players on the LOS. It's usually 3 or 4, depending on the alignment.

I can tell you with certainty that we never ran a true 3-4 with any sort of regularity last year. If we did, I would have noticed it (I tend to prefer the 3-4 to to the 4-3).

Dapper Dan
03-14-2014, 08:29 PM

I like him, but I have a bias. Do you think he'll go that early?

CoachChaz
03-14-2014, 08:44 PM

I like him, but I have a bias. Do you think he'll go that early?

I'd take him that early. 3rd or 4th best ILB in my opinion. Could develop into a stud

Dapper Dan
03-14-2014, 08:47 PM
I'd take him that early. 3rd or 4th best ILB in my opinion. Could develop into a stud

He's shown he can handle his weight. He won't have to bulk up. Several sites had him playing at 250+

Dapper Dan
03-14-2014, 08:47 PM
I want to say MLB isn't a big deal, but Super Bowl teams tend to have a pretty good one.

CoachChaz
03-14-2014, 08:51 PM
I don't know. I don't think Bobby Wagner is all that special

Denver Native (Carol)
03-14-2014, 08:54 PM
The Broncos might get their middle linebacker from the draft and continue to scour free agency for an interior offensive lineman to replace left guard Zane Beadles, and a receiver to replace Decker.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25347663/daryl-smith-evan-dietrich-smith-sign-other-teams

CoachChaz
03-14-2014, 09:13 PM
Not much left out there in free agency unless we want some use to bes or never has beens. I fear our depth...or lack there of...will be our demise

Dapper Dan
03-14-2014, 09:18 PM
Jackson was suspended once by Bobby Petrino. How bad do you have to mess up to get suspended by Petrino? :lol: AJ is from Ray Lewis' hometown.

chazoe60
03-14-2014, 09:23 PM
I'm not, I can't wait til opening day.

Joel
03-14-2014, 09:38 PM

I agree almost completely: The only position where we've lacked a stud longer than MLB is DT, so with that problem addressed the title of Biggest Most Enduring Hole goes to MLB. HOWEVER....

Our defense need only be good enough, and last year it was, even with the perennial lack of a defensive QB. Sure, we raved about how clean Manning was UNTIL THE SB, but that's a pretty big qualifier, isn't it? I mean, we lost by 5 TDs and didn't even have a FIRST DOWN "until" the second quarter. Elway himself said our D kept us in that game until our record setting passing lost it.

Let's go a step further though: How many games did our DEFENSE lose last year?

@Indy a weak defense was all over our backfield forcing turnovers that cost us the game.
@NE our D gave us a 24-0 halftime lead, but expecting Moreno to be a one man offense made it impossible to hold, and we handed back all the turnovers that gave us the lead.

San Diego is the ONLY game one could argue our defense lost, but even there our unprecedented offenses inability to move the ball deserves as much blame. We didn't cough up turnovers like we did against Indy, NE and Seattle, but didn't get many first downs either. I mean, the Bolts scored 27 pts; that's nothing to write home about, but not a defensive collapse in todays NFL.

Then the Super Bowl; small surprise that an elite defense ripped through our line as effortlessly and consistently as Indy and NEs weak ones did. For all that, our defense allowed the SBs leading rusher <50 yds, even with HALF our starters gone; our supposedly elite offense was only missing ONE starter, yet got shredded at the line, making our playmakers impotent.

We just made three big additions to our D, yet the only thing that changed on our offensive line is that our awful starting LG left the team: I sincerely hope we plan to draft for that and the inconsistency of Ramirez and Franklin. If we're good and lucky enough to get back to the SB against Seattle or someone like them, all the defense in the world won't keep THEIR defense off Mannings neck any better than last time. If 4 on 5 pass rushes and run stuffing can do that as easily next year, we'll be in trouble.

So, yeah, I want a legit MLB doing everything well in the middle, but I want a legit G even more. Perhaps the real question is how deep this draft is at each of those positions, and which ones best offerings are likely to go first; it's a very pertinent question when our FIRST pick only comes after 30 other teams.

NightTerror218
03-14-2014, 10:19 PM
I don't know. I don't think Bobby Wagner is all that special

Guy is under rated. He is all over place and gets people in position. He is the unsung leader in that defense. I was shocked to see how he is in a on almost every play. And he does not mind taking back seat to the secondary

TXBRONC
03-14-2014, 10:27 PM
Seriously. Seems like ever since Al Wilson retired we havent got this right. It's always been a band aide.

Looks like the market for any veteran MLBs has now dried up. Do we have plans on actually drafting one?? If we do draft one is it going to be in round 4 or later?? Or are we going to find another over the hill guy who no one has signed well into camp?

My answer is this. Who is THE BEST MLB in this years draft? Is that player a franchise MLB? If so then we better trade up and get him. I dont care about losing draft picks. No one cares about depth and every damn position. We need this fixed now! Like pronto.

I disagree Den. They did bring in D'Qwell Jackson.

I also disagree with you about depth and giving the middle finger to the future by trading away draft picks for linebacker that will more than likely be on the field for two downs.

Jsteve01
03-14-2014, 10:35 PM
I want an al wilson in this draft. we did pretty well late in the first post super bowl yes?

silkamilkamonico
03-14-2014, 11:05 PM
Ir ving was drafted in the third with the hopeful of being our future. For whatever reason it hasn't panned out for him (they wanted to give him the position during TC and then all of a sudden he couldn't get any pt there).

I presonally don't think MLB is really a need. Miller/Treviathon aren't comong off the field on third down. We need a servicable MLB to come in and play 15 plays or so. Certainly don't overpay for that.

Joel
03-15-2014, 12:30 AM
Ir ving was drafted in the third with the hopeful of being our future. For whatever reason it hasn't panned out for him (they wanted to give him the position during TC and then all of a sudden he couldn't get any pt there).

I presonally don't think MLB is really a need. Miller/Treviathon aren't comong off the field on third down. We need a servicable MLB to come in and play 15 plays or so. Certainly don't overpay for that.
Miller's probably moving to DE on third down, as usual, so the question becomes who we want with Trevathan in our nickel. Irving? If that were a good idea we wouldn't still be seeking a legit MLB. We don't pull our MLB because we don't need one in nickel, we play nickel without our MLB because we don't really HAVE one. We could get away with that when we had two great WLBs in Woodyard and Trevathan, even started doing it in our base D by playing Woodyard at MLB even though a 233 lb. MLB is kinda small, but Woodyard's gone, so: What now...?

Yes, we need a legit MLB; just because the rest of our D has been good enough we (mostly) survived without one doesn't change that. Imagine how much better they'd be if 3-4 guys weren't constantly forced to compensate for the absence of a defensive QB at the literal and figurative center of our defense. It's easy to underestimate how much we're missing, because we've BEEN missing it so long we're used to it. You never know what you haven't got while it's gone, as it were.

MOtorboat
03-15-2014, 12:44 AM
Miller's probably moving to DE on third down, as usual, so the question becomes who we want with Trevathan in our nickel. Irving? If that were a good idea we wouldn't still be seeking a legit MLB. We don't pull our MLB because we don't need one in nickel, we play nickel without our MLB because we don't really HAVE one. We could get away with that when we had two great WLBs in Woodyard and Trevathan, even started doing it in our base D by playing Woodyard at MLB even though a 233 lb. MLB is kinda small, but Woodyard's gone, so: What now...?

Yes, we need a legit MLB; just because the rest of our D has been good enough we (mostly) survived without one doesn't change that. Imagine how much better they'd be if 3-4 guys weren't constantly forced to compensate for the absence of a defensive QB at the literal and figurative center of our defense. It's easy to underestimate how much we're missing, because we've BEEN missing it so long we're used to it. You never know what you haven't got while it's gone, as it were.

Clueless doesn't even begin to describe it.

Ziggy
03-15-2014, 06:17 AM

I'll take Avery Williamson out of Kentucky. Great instincts, solid tackler, good in coverage and one of the more underrated LBers in this draft.

Ravage!!!
03-15-2014, 10:26 AM
Although a "leader" sounds good, give me the playmaker and let the play LEAD. Vocal guys are great, but the reality is that playmakers are the ones that get it done. Tebow was a 'leader' and cheerleader. Great vocal guy that people would rally around. Champ would just get it done. Give me the guy that will get it done, first, and if he's a vocal leader on top of that, then it's gravy.

slim
03-15-2014, 10:46 AM
As a Rockies fan, it's not that hard to ignore it...at least after June.

atwater27
03-15-2014, 11:26 AM
Clueless doesn't even begin to describe it.

You hate this guy so much that you won't even cede him an occasional point when he actually makes one. He is right on and you know it.

MOtorboat
03-15-2014, 12:19 PM
You hate this guy so much that you won't even cede him an occasional point when he actually makes one. He is right on and you know it.

They don't need a true MLB, because since Wilson left they've begun to use hybrid schemes and last year ran a 3-4, and will this year. Not to mention the team is constantly in nickel and dime packages, so much so, that that has become the base package for this defense. Joel can't seem to get that through his head, or accept that is where defense is going in the NFL.

I completely, 100 percent, disagree with him about the need for a MLB.

Hawgdriver
03-15-2014, 12:43 PM
I think he's right about the need to prioritize OG, but what do I know.

Joel
03-16-2014, 12:08 AM
They don't need a true MLB, because since Wilson left they've begun to use hybrid schemes and last year ran a 3-4, and will this year. Not to mention the team is constantly in nickel and dime packages, so much so, that that has become the base package for this defense. Joel can't seem to get that through his head, or accept that is where defense is going in the NFL.

I DID mention nickel, with a follow up: Miller will go to RDE in nickel while the base RDE kicks inside to UT, just as the last two years; without a legit MLB, who joins Trevathan as our 2nd nickel LB? Irving? If he covered well enough to play nickel we wouldn't still be looking for a legit Mike: He'd BE one.

We've run hybrids of NECESSITY since Wilson left, because we had NO decent Mikes; relied on guys like Boss Bailey and Joe Mays, or converted Wills like DJ and Woodyard to Mike even though neither had the run stopping ability to match their elite LB coverage. Even on his last legs, 35 year old Keith Brooking is the best Mike we've had since mid-2006: How sad is that?

It's been a revolving door of guys who either stuff the run but can't cover, or vice versa. In that scenario, HELL, yes, they're first off the field in nickel. Yet Sam is SUPPOSED to leave first, because if Sams were good in coverage they wouldn't be Sams; when Sam plays nickel better than Mike, there IS no Mike.

Even granting—for the sake of argument—we ran a 3-4 last year, how could going from 4-3 to 3-4 mean we need LESS good LBs? We'll NEVER run a base dime regardless; the NFL hasn't yet devolved to the point where defense is just a half dozen Robert Mathises and Von Millers charging the QB while a half dozen Darrelle Revises and Earl Thomases play robber.

Joel
03-16-2014, 12:19 AM
I think he's right about the need to prioritize OG, but what do I know.
It's a genuinely tough call for me, but since our D didn't lose a single game last year and our record setting passing accounted for ALL FOUR losses (including the Super Blowout) that decides it. Records, schmecords: Improve the area that cost us games and championships, meaning we must run far better and figure out how 5 guys can keep 4 from reaching our QB in <3 seconds. We never got to exploit press coverages weakness against bombs, because we couldn't protect our QB long enough to throw one, or run well enough to convince the D we'd do anything else.

All that translates to a top G, especially now that our 2nd best G (who was never great and got schooled throghout the SB) is a Jag and our 3rd best retired due to injury.

The question is what will go first. I keep hearing this draft is stacked with offensive linemen but short on MLBs, and Gs tend to be valued less than MLBs anyway, so it might make more sense to go for the best MLB we can get in the 1st round and hope there's still a pretty good G left with the penultimate 2nd round pick. I'm not a draftnik, so can only guess.

Simple Jaded
03-16-2014, 01:39 AM
You make my head hurt, Joel, and not in a good way.

Hawgdriver
03-16-2014, 01:10 PM
... our D didn't lose a single game last year and our record setting passing accounted for ALL FOUR losses ...

Disagree, Off EPA (#1/32) = 274.3, Def EPA (#21/32) = 59.2.

http://wp.advancednflstats.com/teampage.php

I don't like your support for the position that OG is a priority, but I like your point.

I think OG is a priority because I remember when the line was dismantled by guys like JJ Watt when we had Man Ram in guard duty, and we need Manning upright the whole season.

Tebowtime2011
03-16-2014, 06:33 PM
And that's where I trust Elway to determine that giving up a ton of picks isnt worth it for Moseley. I'll agree he is the best ILB in this draft, but that doesnt put him in the ballpark of being a future Pro-Bowler. I see him and I think Lavonte David...not Luke Keuchly.

And to be honest...I'd draft Smallwood and maybe even Borland before I drafted Skov. Skov is a 3-4 ILB that cant get sideline to sideline

In fact...if you want a good coverage MLB...draft Christian Jones, put 5-10 pounds on him and develop his tackling skills.

If you see mosely and think lavonte david you better move up to get him! I think everyone under estimates him way too much.
He is a straight up beast. He should have been a pro bowler and IMO the DPOY. Okay I just had to get that out.

CoachChaz
03-16-2014, 10:16 PM
David is a Damn good player. But by no means do I trade up for him. In fact...i can get him in a later round.

Christian Jones

sneakers
03-17-2014, 03:06 AM

Because it isn't 1986 anymore!

7DnBrnc53
03-17-2014, 04:51 AM
We've run hybrids of NECESSITY since Wilson left, because we had NO decent Mikes; relied on guys like Boss Bailey and Joe Mays, or converted Wills like DJ and Woodyard to Mike even though neither had the run stopping ability to match their elite LB coverage. Even on his last legs, 35 year old Keith Brooking is the best Mike we've had since mid-2006: How sad is that?

Joel, Boss Bailey didn't play MIKE in 2008, he played SAM for six games, and then he was hurt, and Jamie Winborn took over.

Nate Webster was MIKE that year.

DenBronx
03-17-2014, 11:31 AM
David is a Damn good player. But by no means do I trade up for him. In fact...i can get him in a later round.

Christian Jones

Ive seen Christian Jones name thrown around some on here. If he's the answer then great but whoever that guy is I hope they get it right in the draft this year.

Some fans say MLB isnt a priority when you have solid DEs and a secondary and others will say its essential no matter what. I for one think it's a huge missing piece to this defense. Ive seen enough football in my lifetime to know MLB will always play a huge role on championship teams. He doesnt have to be LT but he just needs to do his job.

One thing that intrigued me about Mosley is he has been a sure tackler in college. He didnt wow you with his hitting ability but he always seemed to make the tackle. Meaning on 3rd down that help your defense get off the field. I was talking to a friend of mine who is an Alabam fan just yesterday and he said Mosley is also very smart. That is also needed to compliment a MLBs skillset. If he is capable of reading offense and audibling the right calls on defense that helps get everyone else in position to make plays. So....I might be a minority but I still think MLB is of great need on this team because we have really fallen short here the past few years.

I would be happy with a trade up to get Mosley if he slid down into the mid 20's. Don't think we would have to give up too much to climb up to get him. Pitt is rumored to take him at 17 so if they dont pull the trigger there then I think we should see what happens from there.

Dapper Dan
03-17-2014, 11:33 AM
Ive seen Christian Jones name thrown around some on here. If he's the answer then great but whoever that guy is I hope they get it right in the draft this year.

Some fans say MLB isnt a priority when you have solid DEs and a secondary and others will say its essential no matter what. I for one think it's a huge missing piece to this defense. Ive seen enough football in my lifetime to know MLB will always play a huge role on championship teams. He doesnt have to be LT but he just needs to do his job.

One thing that intrigued me about Mosley is he has been a sure tackler in college. He didnt wow you with his hitting ability but he always seemed to make the tackle. Meaning on 3rd down that help your defense get off the field. I was talking to a friend of mine who is an Alabam fan just yesterday and he said Mosley is also very smart. That is also needed to compliment a MLBs skillset. If he is capable of reading offense and audibling the right calls on defense that helps get everyone else in position to make plays. So....I might be a minority but I still think MLB is of great need on this team because we have really fallen short here the past few years.

I would be happy with a trade up to get Mosley if he slid down into the mid 20's. Don't think we would have to give up too much to climb up to get him. Pitt is rumored to take him at 17 so if they dont pull the trigger there then I think we should see what happens from there.

Jones might be the best Pass Covering ILB in the draft. He has good size and length.

Bosco
03-17-2014, 07:37 PM

MLB is definitely a need. We still play a fair portion of snaps in our base 4-3 under set (again, not a 3-4 despite what it may look like) and our nickel sets are 3-3 and 4-2 with Von dropping down as a DE. That means that the MLB should...theoretically...be on the field for every snap.

We need a reliable starter there.

Simple Jaded
03-17-2014, 09:07 PM
Ideally Nate Irving earns the job, right now it looks like he's gonna get that chance.

Jsteve01
03-17-2014, 09:35 PM
I still don't buy the idea that Irving played so poorly he list the mike job last year. He olayed so well that they decided to play him at Sam while von was out rather than Phillips

Bosco
03-17-2014, 09:42 PM
I still don't buy the idea that Irving played so poorly he list the mike job last year. He olayed so well that they decided to play him at Sam while von was out rather than Phillips

I imagine that had something to do with the fact that Phillips is not an any way shape or form a 4-3 SAM, especially last year where he was clearly heavier than he was during previous years.

Irving might still have a future at MLB though.

DenBronx
03-17-2014, 10:36 PM
Here is Cecil Lammeys 7 round mock. It completely ignores the MLB until round 7. What in the hell man!!!?

Denver Broncos Mock Draft: Fresh 7 Round Predictions Post Week 1 of Free Agency

READ FULL ARTICLE HERE:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1994170-denver-broncos-mock-draft-fresh-7-round-predictions-post-week-1-of-free-agency

DenBronx
03-17-2014, 10:39 PM
Ideally Nate Irving earns the job, right now it looks like he's gonna get that chance.

Thats what I was affraid to hear. Not sure why the Broncos are hung up on him and Bradley. Is this some kind of joke? These guys are mediocre at best.

Simple Jaded
03-17-2014, 10:49 PM
Thats what I was affraid to hear. Not sure why the Broncos are hung up on him and Bradley. Is this some kind of joke? These guys are mediocre at best.

Irving played well last year, just not at Mike, he's gonna be on the field in Nickel anyway so I guess their hope is he's the answer in base D.

Dzone
03-17-2014, 11:08 PM
How good is Irving?

Ziggy
03-17-2014, 11:17 PM

If they were hung up on him and Bradley, they wouldn't have tried to sign Dqwell Jackson. I think Elway makes a trade or drafts a MLB.

DenBronx
03-17-2014, 11:27 PM
James Harrison is our band aid.

Bosco
03-18-2014, 12:56 AM
James Harrison is our band aid.

Assuming my sarcasm meter isn't failing me...I'd be interested to hear how a 3-4 strong outside linebacker is going to fix our problems at 4-3 MLB.

luckyseven
03-18-2014, 01:02 AM
MLB is definitely a need. We still play a fair portion of snaps in our base 4-3 under set (again, not a 3-4 despite what it may look like) and our nickel sets are 3-3 and 4-2 with Von dropping down as a DE. That means that the MLB should...theoretically...be on the field for every snap.

We need a reliable starter there.

If you can find a true 3 down guy you are maybe correct.

But more likely if it is a passing down, our stout Middle of the DL are going to stop most RBs.

The MLB is a necessity if your DL can not slow down the run. That hpseems not to be a problem this past year.

About the only yards gained on the ground this past year was by QBs that broke contain, not so sure that a MLB is going to contain those wide runs that should be done by the DEs and OLBs.

Let see where John John and JDR go in the draft. I see them going OC,OG, CB WR

NightTerror218
03-18-2014, 10:38 AM
If you can find a true 3 down guy you are maybe correct.

But more likely if it is a passing down, our stout Middle of the DL are going to stop most RBs.

The MLB is a necessity if your DL can not slow down the run. That hpseems not to be a problem this past year.

About the only yards gained on the ground this past year was by QBs that broke contain, not so sure that a MLB is going to contain those wide runs that should be done by the DEs and OLBs.

Let see where John John and JDR go in the draft. I see them going OC,OG, CB WR

Except the chargers game, Mathews chewed us up in the loss. Stopping the run helps prevent the game plan of kill the clock move the ball and keep Manning off the field.

CoachChaz
03-18-2014, 10:53 AM
I think they'll draft a MLB, but it will be a guy that can cover. I just dont see them taking a pure hole crasher for this defense. That being said...I dont see that pick coming very early unless they value a guy like Christian Jones

luckyseven
03-18-2014, 01:38 PM
Except the chargers game, Mathews chewed us up in the loss. Stopping the run helps prevent the game plan of kill the clock move the ball and keep Manning off the field.

Anyone else

Pretty sure we shut down else for the year. I do not remember specifically which players were out that day. I would think that his running was not the only issue that day.

Iirc is was more about focus of the entire team.

DenBronx
03-18-2014, 01:40 PM
Assuming my sarcasm meter isn't failing me...I'd be interested to hear how a 3-4 strong outside linebacker is going to fix our problems at 4-3 MLB.

Just saying, we find ways to screw it up. No your sarcasm meter didnt fail you here.

DenBronx
03-18-2014, 01:42 PM
I think they'll draft a MLB, but it will be a guy that can cover. I just dont see them taking a pure hole crasher for this defense. That being said...I dont see that pick coming very early unless they value a guy like Christian Jones

Christian Jones does seem to be a good cover MLB. Mosley never wowed me with his hitting abilities. I was just wanted that MLB that strikes fear into the other team. Not too many of those guys in this draft this year.

Bet we dont even draft one until round 6 or 7.

broncohead
03-18-2014, 01:44 PM
As much as I would love to have a 3 down guy we are in nickel more often.

DenBronx
03-18-2014, 01:48 PM
Playing with the lead helps but what happens when you run into a real team?

CoachChaz
03-18-2014, 01:52 PM

Any ideas for a 3 down MLB that wont cost us a fortune in money or draft picks? Until that guy is there...we kind of have to settle for the next best option

broncohead
03-18-2014, 01:54 PM

I think having another cover guy who can play sideline to sideline will help. Maybe Irving is the guy maybe not. Our run D was very good last season though

DenBronx
03-18-2014, 03:22 PM
Any ideas for a 3 down MLB that wont cost us a fortune in money or draft picks? Until that guy is there...we kind of have to settle for the next best option

We have been doing it for years. Why stop now?

Should of made alot more effort to get a guy like Dansby or Jackson if we didnt feel like one of those guys were going to be there on draft day. Hope the Broncos do have that guy in mind come May.

MOtorboat
03-18-2014, 03:33 PM
We have been doing it for years. Why stop now?

Should of made alot more effort to get a guy like Dansby or Jackson if we didnt feel like one of those guys were going to be there on draft day. Hope the Broncos do have that guy in mind come May.

There's nothing Elway can do if they don't want to sign here. Overpaying for them gets you in trouble in the long run.

Jsteve01
03-18-2014, 04:26 PM
Ward, Ware, and Emmanuel were discounted deals if you look at the market. Talib was fair market value. the structuring of the contracts again via Mike Sullivan our cap guru is the cherry on top. Not one of these deals is bad.

Lancane
03-18-2014, 05:29 PM
I completely disagree with anyone who says that the Broncos don't need a true mike linebacker, fact is that in nickel packages it should be the mike who mans that role, not the strong or weak side linebackers. I know some got a hard-on for Shazier, but he or someone like Van Noy are better suited on the outside maybe in a rover role like Miller, what's funny is that those who are talking about such or about Irving taking over have for the most part said moving Miller inside would be a mistake, I agree but taking a similar type linebacker for the role is almost comically hypocritical. If that is not enough, the talk about needing a pure coverage guy in the role? Woodyard was a former safety and Irving is one of the better cover linebackers on the roster, obviously Denver feels different since they made a move on Jackson, contacted Beason and showed interest in Smith, I don't see Elway as someone who likes to waste his time playing games and being secretive in the process.

DenBronx
03-18-2014, 05:33 PM
Ward, Ware, and Emmanuel were discounted deals if you look at the market. Talib was fair market value. the structuring of the contracts again via Mike Sullivan our cap guru is the cherry on top. Not one of these deals is bad.

We struck gold with those 3 deals. Ward was the 2nd best safety on the market and we got him much cheaper then even the 3rd or 4th option and wayyyy less than Byrd. Ward seems to fit better anyway in what we are trying to do. We need him to play the Cam Chancelor role and he fits that better than what Byrd would...just my opinion on that.

Ware, we all know what he's capable of. He is a complete game changer for our defense if he's healthy. He can put up 18-20 sacks a year without even breaking a sweat. That was my favorite signing this offseason.

Sanders, I think this guy is really going to blossom in this offense. Comparing his deal to Deckers and we really saved alot of money. Still like Decker though and think he's the better WR but I don't think there will be too much drop off when it's all said and done.

As far as Talib goes. We didnt get a bargain but we protected ourselves in case anything goes wrong down the road. Can't complain in a win now mindset. I wish DRC would have just sucked it up and signed the contract he got with the Giants here. That would have saved us even a little more......but Elway doesnt mess around when you are trying to rate shop. I think these free agents take him very serious now. Either take the deal he first offers you or hit the road. DRC lost on this one.

DenBronx
03-18-2014, 05:38 PM
I completely disagree with anyone who says that the Broncos don't need a true mike linebacker, fact is that in nickel packages it should be the mike who mans that role, not the strong or weak side linebackers. I know some got a hard-on for Shazier, but he or someone like Van Noy are better suited on the outside maybe in a rover role like Miller, what's funny is that those who are talking about such or about Irving taking over have for the most part said moving Miller inside would be a mistake, I agree but taking a similar type linebacker for the role is almost comically hypocritical. If that is not enough, the talk about needing a pure coverage guy in the role? Woodyard was a former safety and Irving is one of the better cover linebackers on the roster, obviously Denver feels different since they made a move on Jackson, contacted Beason and showed interest in Smith, I don't see Elway as someone who likes to waste his time playing games and being secretive in the process.

Its funny that you brought up Woody as playing safety. I always wondered if he could have played SS for us. Think that would have been a transition well worth the try.

Bosco
03-19-2014, 07:45 PM
As much as I would love to have a 3 down guy we are in nickel more often.

That makes no difference though. As I mentioned before, our primary nickel packages are 3-3 and 4-2. A MLB is still needed in either one of those packages.

Simple Jaded
03-19-2014, 10:04 PM
Putting Shazier at MLB and putting a premier pass rusher like Miller at MLB are two totally different things, thus, not even close to being hypocritical.

We can talk the finer points of playing WLB and MLB til the cows come home but Von Miller isn't going to rack up 19 1/2 sacks while he's chasing TE's down the seem.

Jsteve01
03-19-2014, 10:08 PM
Its funny that you brought up Woody as playing safety. I always wondered if he could have played SS for us. Think that would have been a transition well worth the try.

there was a reason he was moved to Will after the draft. His change of direction and hips just aren't good enough to play safety in the league. Thomas Davis had to make the switch coming into the league. it was the best move for Woody. Even a traditional in the box SS needs to have more range and better change of direction than Woody does.

luckyseven
03-19-2014, 10:34 PM
there was a reason he was moved to Will after the draft. His change of direction and hips just aren't good enough to play safety in the league. Thomas Davis had to make the switch coming into the league. it was the best move for Woody. Even a traditional in the box SS needs to have more range and better change of direction than Woody does.

yet Woody is one of the better coverage LBs.

dogfish
03-20-2014, 01:33 AM
i don't typically post BSPN stuff, but this roster analysis by legwold isn't too bad. . .

Middle linebacker

Once a glamour position on defense, middle linebacker is a situational job these days. The Broncos had four games this past season when the middle linebacker was in the formation 12 or fewer plays.

The Broncos have players they can use at the position already on the roster -- Nate Irving, or possibly Steven Johnson -- but those would be stop-gap moves and the Broncos have tried [Irving] there before only to make him Von Miller's backup. The Broncos will look for someone at the position who fits their scheme later in the free-agency season.

"People are a lot more worried about middle linebacker than we are right now … we'll get something done,'' executive vice president of football operations/GM John Elway said this week.

Weakside linebacker Danny Trevathan plays in base, nickel and dime schemes, which means the Broncos can look for a two-down player at middle linebacker if they have to.

The list of true middle linebackers is shrinking in the college game and defenses are getting smaller to defend spread attacks, but the Broncos will take a long look at some options at inside linebacker in the draft.

http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/5742/broncos-still-needy-in-spots

TXBRONC
03-20-2014, 07:25 AM
i don't typically post BSPN stuff, but this roster analysis by legwold isn't too bad. . .

http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/5742/broncos-still-needy-in-spots

I'm not surprised that Denver had four games were middle linebacker was in formation 12 plays or less. That also means they don't much if all in the nickel and dime packages.

Ravage!!!
03-20-2014, 09:44 AM
Wait... has Joel written Legwold and presented his theories on the MLB? This doesn't seem to coincide with what I've read from Joel and our MLB needs.

TXBRONC
03-20-2014, 09:51 AM
Wait... has Joel written Legwold and presented his theories on the MLB? This doesn't seem to coincide with what I've read from Joel and our MLB needs.

He's out of pocket right now. He's with Mr. Peabody and Sherman in the Way Back Machine. They're traveling back to 1968 to watch Dick Butkus play middle linebacker for the Bears

BroncoJoe
03-20-2014, 10:31 AM
Were there any good MLB's available via FA? Got to figure Elway & Co. have someone targeted in the draft that they're pretty sure they can get.

NightTerror218
03-20-2014, 10:38 AM
Trade for kiko Alonso. He is being moved to WLB in buffao o next year after having awesome season at mike

dogfish
03-20-2014, 10:47 AM
Trade for kiko Alonso. He is being moved to WLB in buffao o next year after having awesome season at mike

he's a beast, they're not going to trade him. . . :lol:

Lancane
03-20-2014, 11:07 AM
Putting Shazier at MLB and putting a premier pass rusher like Miller at MLB are two totally different things, thus, not even close to being hypocritical.

We can talk the finer points of playing WLB and MLB til the cows come home but Von Miller isn't going to rack up 19 1/2 sacks while he's chasing TE's down the seem.

Jaded, I'm more then happy to talk about it, when the top scouts in the country agree so headily with what I just said, it's idealistic draftniks who see Shazier as something he is not. Actually, Shazier doesn't have the sack total of Miller or being as much a pass rush specialist, but he's known for pressuring the backfield more then Miller was and more for tackles for losses.

Per the NFL Scouts:

The Big Ten's leading tackler, Shazier flies around the field and his unique athletic ability stands out. Offers a tremendous combination of speed, tackling and coverage skills to become a playmaker as a run-and-hit 4-3 Will or perhaps a 3-4 weakside 'backer if protected by a block-occupying nose tackle. Value is increased by the fact that he will not have to come off the field.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/ryan-shazier?id=2543486

There is no need to talk the finer points, I know all too well the difference, seems that others do not - Shazier is a lot like Miller, granted he is better in pass defense then Miller was coming out of college or still is. Fact of the matter he still doesn't fit the role, period. If Wesley Woodyard considered the top pass defending linebacker in free agency can not man the position to the teams satisfaction how could Shazier who is a more natural Will, maybe even more so then Miller? Van Noy is a better fit in the middle and even he is considered a complete outside linebacker.

Lancane
03-20-2014, 11:09 AM
That makes no difference though. As I mentioned before, our primary nickel packages are 3-3 and 4-2. A MLB is still needed in either one of those packages.

Quoted for the simple inarguable knowledge of the post. :beer:

DenBronx
03-20-2014, 11:09 AM

He said all of that but didnt say who those options were in the draft. Thanks Legwold for stating the obvious and not providing the solution.

broncohead
03-20-2014, 06:51 PM

Yes in a 3-3 but not necessarily in a 4-2 which we run the most. I would love nothing more than to have an every down MLB. But they are hard to find.

NightTerror218
03-20-2014, 07:21 PM
I thinka real MLB needed. The best teams in the league will not be throwing it 50times a game against us. They will rush a lot more. A thumper who has insticts and read plays. Control middle of field and be in position. Amazing coverage skills are not needed. Decent coverage skills will be fine. Look at keuchly he is a tackling machine you do not see a tone of pass deflections or interceptions by him. He controls middle of field.

broncohead
03-20-2014, 07:26 PM
I thinka real MLB needed. The best teams in the league will not be throwing it 50times a game against us. They will rush a lot more. A thumper who has insticts and read plays. Control middle of field and be in position. Amazing coverage skills are not needed. Decent coverage skills will be fine. Look at keuchly he is a tackling machine you do not see a tone of pass deflections or interceptions by him. He controls middle of field.

I agree completely. With that said I think its easier said then done. We aren't in a position to get a guy like that. Yes the draft may offer the possibility but thats all it will be.

luckyseven
03-20-2014, 08:02 PM

Stopping the run is less MLB than it is DT/NT since we finally have a quality few players there the less the importance of having the Al Wilson type mike.

Since his departure we really have not has either and teams ran on us mostly up the gut. Since Vickerson and Pot roast and later in the year Williams and Jackson we really did not worry about opponents running game.

If our offense is strong again and we are scoring 30+ a game even less running will be done.

Do not get me wrong I'd love to have a good MLB, but not at the expense of not getting a top notch OC or OG in the first.

That (OC) is the one spot that anchors the OL for the next decade.

NightTerror218
03-20-2014, 09:49 PM
Stopping the run is less MLB than it is DT/NT since we finally have a quality few players there the less the importance of having the Al Wilson type mike.

Since his departure we really have not has either and teams ran on us mostly up the gut. Since Vickerson and Pot roast and later in the year Williams and Jackson we really did not worry about opponents running game.

If our offense is strong again and we are scoring 30+ a game even less running will be done.

Do not get me wrong I'd love to have a good MLB, but not at the expense of not getting a top notch OC or OG in the first.

That (OC) is the one spot that anchors the OL for the next decade.

To me securing the middle of the defense is way more important because with the best offense ever we still had our asses handed to us. I rather have an offense that can pound ball on ground and pass at will still but top teams in NFL run the ball and still got yards on us. We need a good defense so we can win the battle of field positions. Our OL is solid but not amazing we can roll with what we have and add depth with clady coming back. We do not need all world OC and OG. Manny did great as fill in at OC.

OC would not anchor this offense in rookie season rather have immediate impact.

luckyseven
03-20-2014, 10:13 PM
To me securing the middle of the defense is way more important because with the best offense ever we still had our asses handed to us. I rather have an offense that can pound ball on ground and pass at will still but top teams in NFL run the ball and still got yards on us. We need a good defense so we can win the battle of field positions. Our OL is solid but not amazing we can roll with what we have and add depth with clady coming back. We do not need all world OC and OG. Manny did great as fill in at OC.

It was not the defense that lost the game.

It was our inability to hang onto the ball.

The best MLB. In the world would not have made a difference in that game.

We stopped their running game except for the outside runs which is not the MLB reponsiblity.

Their beast was held to zip yards. Without a MLB.

If we hang on to the ball and not turn it over that game is or would have been much different.

MLB had nothing to do with that loss.

Put two more horses in front of Manning and odds are he does not throw that pick six.
Odds are we are able to run the ball
Odds are manning is not touched and has a clean pocket.

I repeat MLB did not lose that Lombardi.

luckyseven
03-20-2014, 10:17 PM
Our OL is solid but not amazing we can roll with what we have and add depth with clady coming back. We do not need all world OC and OG. Manny did great as fill in at OC.

Tell that to the teams that drafted the pouncey brothers.

First round OCs often if not always become the anchor if the OL.

NightTerror218
03-20-2014, 10:56 PM
Our OL is solid but not amazing we can roll with what we have and add depth with clady coming back. We do not need all world OC and OG. Manny did great as fill in at OC.

Tell that to the teams that drafted the pounces brothers.

First round OCs often if not always become the anchor if the OL.

If you are not reaching sure. I do not see OL as holes on the team as i do MLB. Simple as that.

luckyseven
03-20-2014, 11:27 PM
If you are not reaching sure. I do not see OL as holes on the team as i do MLB. Simple as that.

Most top OGs and OCs are taken late in the first @31 is about right if not after 24 or so..

Most top MLB are long gone by the mid twenties IF they are that good.

Our defense held the hawks to 290 odds yards and they had ONE extended drive IIRC and that was because DT fumbled the ball in their red zone.

A momentum killer for us and builder for them. Even then manning managed a drive that scored inspite of the pocket being dirty.

Give him a clean pocket and some semblance of a running game and that is a much closer game if not a win.

His pick six was because of their pressure and being hit while throwing.

Thus the biggest need OL vs a MLB that may not be on the field but 20% of the time.

NightTerror218
03-20-2014, 11:41 PM

Most top OGs and OCs are taken late in the first @31 is about right if not after 24 or so..

Most top MLB are long gone by the mid twenties IF they are that good.

Our defense held the hawks to 290 odds yards and they had ONE extended drive IIRC and that was because DT fumbled the ball in their red zone.

A momentum killer for us and builder for them. Even then manning managed a drive that scored inspite of the pocket being dirty.

Give him a clean pocket and some semblance of a running game and that is a much closer game if not a win.

His pick six was because of their pressure and being hit while throwing.

Thus the biggest need OL vs a MLB that may not be on the field but 20% of the time.

OC and OG were not the issue in that game the tackles were the issue and Clady is coming back. All the pressure on manning came from edges.

MOtorboat
03-20-2014, 11:46 PM
OC and OG were not the issue in that game the tackles were the issue and Clady is coming back. All the pressure on manning came from edges.

The whole conversation is bullshit. The offensive line was never the problem. The defense was. Obviously, Elway knew that too.

Simple Jaded
03-20-2014, 11:50 PM
Yeah for once Zane Beadles wasn't the weak link.

I know it's been beat to death but you can improve two positions at once if you draft a RT, however, drafting a pure G may be the best option if Franklin is that butthurt over moving inside. LT is not a short term issue with Clady and Clark.

If Kouandjio or Henderson are there in the 4th of 5th I know I would be tempted.

Simple Jaded
03-20-2014, 11:54 PM
The whole conversation is bullshit. The offensive line was never the problem. The defense was. Obviously, Elway knew that too.

I think they do need a starter, tho, I don't see that conversation as a slight on the year the OL.

MOtorboat
03-20-2014, 11:59 PM
I think they do need a starter, tho, I don't see that conversation as a slight on the year the OL.

They will draft one. It's quite obvious at this point. But it won't "fix" any offensive problems. They just need to do it because they couldn't pay the last one.

Simple Jaded
03-21-2014, 12:10 AM
It is kinda ridiculous to suggest THAT offense needed "fixing".

Dapper Dan
03-21-2014, 12:19 AM
I don't necessarily think it's that big of a deal, but it's still not crazy to think an offense that scored 8 points in the Super Bowl needs to figure something out.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-21-2014, 12:44 AM
Orlando Franklin has played at a high level, has one bad game and now people want to move him to right gaurd. I'd be shocked if he wasn't playing RT next year.

luckyseven
03-21-2014, 01:30 AM

When the pressure came from the outside which pocket did Manning step up into?

That's right he did not because the OC and OrG was pushed back into him.

How many yards did we run for in that game I'll save you for looking it up. 26.

Why because our OL could not open holes.

It all boils down to the middle of the OL not doing their jobs.
The offense lost that game with turn overs and mistakes.

The defEnse held them to 290 total yards. 206 of it in the air mostly on busted contain havin had 45 on busted contain. Neither of which was the MLB job to do.

John fixed the contain issue by getting rid of Ayers and hiring pro bowlers at each level.

Now he will fix the real problem the OL during the draft. Both positions can easily be filled with high draft picks and most likely be starters by midseason if not the start of the season.

luckyseven
03-21-2014, 01:37 AM

The OL played good to great all year and then got their ass kicked in the SB. The pocket collapsed into the QB and then he had no where to go when the pressure came from the outside.

He had hawks at his feet or around his shoulder area for most of the game the main reason Beadles is gone and rameriez a rookie at OC at 31 well that is a spot that will need a fix soon .

While he played well for most of the year he is not the long term solution. What better spot to grab the top OC if he is still there when we draft@31

If not BPA. Which not be the third best MLB.

luckyseven
03-21-2014, 01:41 AM
Orlando Franklin has played at a high level, has one bad game and now people want to move him to right gaurd. I'd be shocked if he wasn't playing RT next year.

Moving him to OG then makes another change for Vasquez breaking in a rookie or Clark

That means at least two new positions for players on the OL. Learnig different foot work and hand positioning. As well as blocking assignments.

The smart thing to do is get a top OG or OC in the draft and they anchor the OL for the next decade. Bigger tougher than what we had in the middle this past year.

Do not forget we play the NFCW next season and now they all have the blueprint on beating manning.

luckyseven
03-21-2014, 01:42 AM
I don't necessarily think it's that big of a deal, but it's still not crazy to think an offense that scored 8 points in the Super Bowl needs to figure something out.

30 points below average.

MOtorboat
03-21-2014, 07:54 AM

How not to make your one bad game all season the Super Bowl?

TXBRONC
03-21-2014, 09:04 AM
30 points below average.

It's still just one game. One bad game Super Bowl or otherwise doesn't mean there is a problem with the offense.

luckyseven
03-21-2014, 10:32 AM
It's still just one game. One bad game Super Bowl or otherwise doesn't mean there is a problem with the offense.

It was the one legit defense we played all year.

Then we are going to play them and at least three more pretty much like them next year.

All the while doing so after the hawks gave the NFL the blueprint on how to beat manning in big games.

Now everyone is trying to do the same thing get tougher and bigger on defense.

John saw what happened and started getting bigger and BADDER on D already, now he will address the problems on O, they tried to get a better OC by talking to Mack and several other veteran OCs that did not come to fruition.

I think that John will continue to get bigger and meaner on the OL replacing ORG and probably OC with draftees.

DenBronx
03-21-2014, 10:54 AM
How in the hell does a thread about MLB get turned into a OL debate?

artie_dale
03-21-2014, 11:06 AM
back on topic...

You know, I'm beginning to think that John & Fox might draft an MLB with their first pick. BUT, it has to be an MLB that they think is good enough to draft first but isn't projected to be very high on other team's draft rankings (otherwise, they'd need to sign an MLB, right?). I don't keep up with or watch college ball... but any ideas who that could be if this is indeed the case?

CoachChaz
03-21-2014, 11:07 AM
back on topic...

You know, I'm beginning to think that John & Fox might draft an MLB with their first pick. BUT, it has to be an MLB that they think is good enough to draft first but isn't projected to be very high on other team's draft rankings (otherwise, they'd need to sign an MLB, right?). I don't keep up with or watch college ball... but any ideas who that could be if this is indeed the case?

I said it in another thread. Borland will go late 1st, early 2nd. I understand a lot of teams like him a lot. Are we one of them?

artie_dale
03-21-2014, 11:11 AM
I said it in another thread. Borland will go late 1st, early 2nd. I understand a lot of teams like him a lot. Are we one of them?

"Borland", aye? If other teams like him, there's a good chance he'll be gone. Finding diamond in the rough MLBs is as easy as finding diamond in the rough CBs. I'm going to look at some of his highlights on youtube now.

luckyseven
03-21-2014, 11:18 AM
How in the hell does a thread about MLB get turned into a OL debate?

Easily when the top
Need is protecting the QB and improving the running game.

MLB has been irrelevant since manning came to town and the Johns upgraded the DL in particular the middle of the DL.

Or a hell of a less an issue thanit was when every tom dick and Harry was running all over the team.

Bosco
03-21-2014, 04:12 PM
I'm not surprised that Denver had four games were middle linebacker was in formation 12 plays or less. That also means they don't much if all in the nickel and dime packages.

The problem with that is they are probably not taking the snaps that other players took at MLB because they are not designated as MLBs. Would have to check to be sure but that's the kind of lazy analysis that passes in the media so it would not surprise me.

Yes in a 3-3 but not necessarily in a 4-2 which we run the most. I would love nothing more than to have an every down MLB. But they are hard to find. in the 4-2, Miller drops down to DE so you still need a MIKE there.

broncohead
03-21-2014, 05:17 PM
The problem with that is they are probably not taking the snaps that other players took at MLB because they are not designated as MLBs. Would have to check to be sure but that's the kind of lazy analysis that passes in the media so it would not surprise me.

in the 4-2, Miller drops down to DE so you still need a MIKE there.

Thats correct Miller drops down but it doesn't mean the "mike" has to play in the nickel. Danny T and Irving could man the LBer spots or a drafted player.

Lancane
03-21-2014, 05:33 PM
Thats correct Miller drops down but it doesn't mean the "mike" has to play in the nickel. Danny T and Irving could man the LBer spots or a drafted player.

Irving has been unpromising more then incompetent, I don't care what Coach Fox says, he also said Hillman could be a feature tailback in this league among other things that could be considered more of an embellishment. Fact is that Irving at this point is as much a disappointment as Williams, Mays and Woodyard, give his time standing in for Miller on the outside like he belongs. The ironic thing about everyone one of those linebackers is that most were better against the pass then other linebackers on the roster at given times and still were lackluster. We need a true mike, someone capable in both facets and knows the in's and out's of the position like it's second nature.

broncohead
03-22-2014, 02:52 PM
Irving has been unpromising more then incompetent, I don't care what Coach Fox says, he also said Hillman could be a feature tailback in this league among other things that could be considered more of an embellishment. Fact is that Irving at this point is as much a disappointment as Williams, Mays and Woodyard, give his time standing in for Miller on the outside like he belongs. The ironic thing about everyone one of those linebackers is that most were better against the pass then other linebackers on the roster at given times and still were lackluster. We need a true mike, someone capable in both facets and knows the in's and out's of the position like it's second nature.

And I agree completely we need a 3 down MLB. But also a fact the FO has made little effort in filling a hole the fan base deems a "need" in regards to the MLB position

NightTerror218
03-22-2014, 07:02 PM
MLB is a need. Elway looked into what 4 or 5 this off season?

luckyseven
03-22-2014, 07:53 PM
And I agree completely we need a 3 down MLB. But also a fact the FO has made little effort in filling a hole the fan base deems a "need" in regards to the MLB position

Fwiw I'm glad he is in charge and not the fans God only knows what the team would be loaded down with.

Everyone has a favorite player for what ever reason they played for their college team, they saw that have a great game against colorado college.

So everyone has an agenda. I like ,to,think that John consults with his coaching staff about their wish list..

After they go over exsisting players and decide which one go (all of them) and which ones to resign (none) then they decide priorities.

Some on here would give up 3 picks to move up and get Mosley. some think he will slide.

It has been obvious to any and all that are paying attention they have tried several times to come up with a MLB.

Most of the time NOT the guy everyone(fans) had to have.

So far the priorities have not been at the top for MLB.

Maybe this year, myself I do not see the need that everyone else does.

I'd rather have the top OC or ,OG.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-22-2014, 08:01 PM

We also brought in Stewart Bradley last year, but he got hurt in TC.

DenBronx
03-22-2014, 10:50 PM

Yes he did and wasnt able to land any. Well he could of but not at the price they were probably asking. Or he could have had a change of heart once he interviewed them.

Makes me believe we will be taking one very early in the draft now and I am ok with that.

Simple Jaded
03-22-2014, 11:04 PM
Lotta flaws in the MLB draft class. Do ya take the poor athletes and hope their instincts can overcome their lack of ability or do you take the athlete and hope to coach them up?

Jsteve01
03-22-2014, 11:36 PM
I'll take the athletic small school prospect with good instincts and athleticism. We've done well there recently

Simple Jaded
03-23-2014, 04:39 AM
I'll take the athletic small school prospect with good instincts and athleticism. We've done well there recently

Avery Williamson?

Bosco
03-23-2014, 06:26 PM

I disagree. Sure, you could do that but then you're using two starting quality linebackers (one lined up as a DE) and a backup. If you have a legitimate starter at MIKE, you have three starting linebackers on the field.

broncohead
03-23-2014, 06:34 PM
I disagree. Sure, you could do that but then you're using two starting quality linebackers (one lined up as a DE) and a backup. If you have a legitimate starter at MIKE, you have three starting linebackers on the field.

Your right. As I have said before I want a MLB who can play all 3 downs. What I'm saying is that I don't think the FO feels like it's as big of a need that us fans believe it is. Yes we brought in a few during FA but doesn't seem like we made a push to sign them. I guess we'll know how the FO feels about MLB after the draft

Denver Native (Carol)
03-24-2014, 05:38 PM
• Nate Irving is the leading candidate to become the Broncos' new starting middle linebacker. Then again, Irving was the leading candidate for the job last season, only for the Broncos to first move Wesley Woodyard from weakside linebacker to the middle, then sign veteran free agent Paris Lenon.

"Nate's a possibility," Elway said. "He's got a chance as does Stevie Johnson, but we'll continue to look at that position."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25409664/john-elway-simplifies-broncos-goal-2014-were-chasing

MOtorboat
03-24-2014, 05:50 PM
No matter if you like or dislike the offseason moves, you've got to give credit to Elway for having a plan for everything. Sounds like they are really prepared for every possible scenario heading into the draft.

OK, so we didn't get a top middle linebacker in the draft, supplement it with Irving and a later round pick. OK, the guards were gone, Garland and Painter are possible options. OK, best player we could get was a cornerback...we have options elsewhere.

This team has plenty of depth and Elway sounds like he's about the most prepared and confident I've ever heard a Denver GM be.

DenBronx
03-24-2014, 05:50 PM
^^^ smokescreen ^^^

I dont buy it at all. If we believed in Irving so much then why did we stray away from him so fast last year. This would be a mistake to head into next season with him as the starting MLB. He's not the answer. Sorry.

DenBronx
03-24-2014, 05:52 PM
My last post was meant to address Carols post.

Dzone
03-24-2014, 06:09 PM
Nate Irving has had plenty opportunity to impress and he hasnt done it. He seems to play out of control and gets trucked easy. I trust that they will get someone better than nate irving

7DnBrnc53
03-25-2014, 03:11 AM
Nate Irving has had plenty opportunity to impress and he hasnt done it. He seems to play out of control and gets trucked easy. I trust that they will get someone better than nate irving

If they don't draft a suitable person, I can see them bringing in a veteran later in the year like Desmond Bishop, or....London Fletcher!!!

He says that he is retiring, but he may return for one more year for a contender.

TXBRONC
03-25-2014, 09:10 AM
No matter if you like or dislike the offseason moves, you've got to give credit to Elway for having a plan for everything. Sounds like they are really prepared for every possible scenario heading into the draft.

OK, so we didn't get a top middle linebacker in the draft, supplement it with Irving and a later round pick. OK, the guards were gone, Garland and Painter are possible options. OK, best player we could get was a cornerback...we have options elsewhere.

This team has plenty of depth and Elway sounds like he's about the most prepared and confident I've ever heard a Denver GM be.

No one can say that Elway didn't at least attempt to get one of the top middle in free agency. No GM or V.P of football operations is going every player they target.

TXBRONC
03-25-2014, 09:20 AM

In 2012 when Denver had a top ten defense that's how it worked. The mike would come out and Trevathan would come in and play along side of Woodyard.